Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Stephen Fry reveals 15 year drug habit: ''I took cocaine to enjoy my crosswords''

Stephen Fry has revealed he regularly took cocaine to enhance his enjoyment of crossword puzzles. The 53-year-old also confessed he found it %E2%80%98extremely easy%E2%80%99 to give up the drug. Fry made his comments in a TV interview due to be broadcast in June.

He told the Sky Arts programme In Confidence: %E2%80%98There were 15 years of pretty chronic cocaine taking. In my most hyper frames of mind, I found it was a wonderful drug to take to calm me down. %E2%80%98I tended to take it alone at home and play word games, mind spinning. %E2%80%98I%E2%80%99d do very difficult crosswords, I would spend hours on those.%E2%80%99 Fry added: %E2%80%98I found it extremely easy to stop, but it took me a very long time to get to a position where I was ready to.%E2%80%99 He also addresses the %E2%80%98exhausting%E2%80%99 pressures of fame and says he yearns for a life of seclusion %E2%80%98making pork pies and chutneys.%E2%80%99

Of his notoriety he said: %E2%80%98It is exhausting. They want an appearance, a quote, a tweet, something%E2%80%A6

%E2%80%98They want to touch the hem of the fame, not the hem of the person. It%E2%80%99s the scale of it%E2%80%A6. So you resort to not travelling on the Tube or walking round the street any more and going in a big car with a driver. %E2%80%98And people think %E2%80%9COh he thinks he%E2%80%99s so grand, doesn%E2%80%99t he?%E2%80%9D Well, no. I%E2%80%99d rather walk but sometimes I just can%E2%80%99t".%E2%80%99

No stranger to controversy the actor has steadily been making a name for himself by engaging in a series of public spats. A self-confessed Twitter addict, Fry is regularly in the spotlight over the comments he posts on the online social networking site. Fry abandoned Twitter for four days on in October last year after he was widely criticised over his suggestion that women did not enjoy sex as much as men. The author and broadcaster told a magazine for gay men that women effectively used sex to manipulate men into having a relationship as that was the 'price they were willing to pay'.

Last November he quit Twitter after encountering 'too much aggression and unkindness' but returned the following day. Fry has also temporarily abandoned the site following arguments with fellow tweeters who labeled him %E2%80%98boring%E2%80%99. Away from his computer screen, in May 2009 he sparked fury when he defended the MPs expenses scandal by declaring it was %E2%80%98not important%E2%80%99. In October he ignited international outrage by claiming Poles played a part in the Holocaust.

by Anonymousreply 7505/24/2013

Ironically, the world desperately needs more people talking about these taboo issues. Just because he got flack for it, doesn't mean he was wrong. Hopefully he gets his courage back.

The drug habit thing reeks of smear campaign.

by Anonymousreply 103/19/2011

Cocaine while doing crosswords??? Would it help me solve the Sunday NY Times one??

by Anonymousreply 203/19/2011

Who the hell is he?

by Anonymousreply 303/19/2011

He is a god. No, not in that can-do-no-wrong way. He's a brilliant man who has been a notorious thief, liar, druggie, and pompous ass who is also one of the most painfully giving, honest, clear-thinking, disciplined, and truly humble people I've ever met. He's human, and flawed, and humane, and real.

by Anonymousreply 403/19/2011

Do they not sell Crest White Strips in England? Dude got some funky teeth.

by Anonymousreply 503/19/2011

I love him, but what a shame to waste perfectly good coke on crossword puzzles.

by Anonymousreply 603/19/2011

He's smart and he's a bitch - what's not to like?

by Anonymousreply 703/19/2011

I'd rather be interested in his experiences with the Grindr application for the iPhone he mentioned in his Top Gear appearance.

by Anonymousreply 803/19/2011

Maybe this sheds light on the Cell Mates debacle.

by Anonymousreply 903/19/2011

I still tend to think that he is insanely jealous of his old comedy partner's American success.

by Anonymousreply 1003/19/2011

R10 got it in one.

by Anonymousreply 1103/19/2011

Hasn't he been diagnosed with manic-depression? And I thought his Q-10 or whatever the name of it is, is quite the success in the UK? It's a quiz show panel of comedians who come up with funny answers to trivia questions. I've ordered a season on dvd and it's great.

I don't think he's jealous of HL. He complained once that he was driven crazy by not being able to download the latest episode of House quickly enough.

They were a great comedy combo, in Wooster and Jeeves and in the Laurie and Fry show (which I also have on dvd.) All highly recommended!

BTW, Fry is an odd fellow, by any measure. He was celibate for 15 years or so - supported the Palestinians though he's Jewish and cried on a documentary when he visited the graves of his forebears who were killed by the Nazis in Hungary I believe - and Emma Thompson famously said of him, "There's straight people, there are gay people, and then there's you, Stephen."

by Anonymousreply 1203/19/2011

[quote] He was celibate for 15 years or so

Pffft! I've got him beat on that count

by Anonymousreply 1303/19/2011

How is this news? He talked about his drug addiction before.

I'm more interested in hearing about his cute boyfriend Steven Webb.

by Anonymousreply 1403/19/2011

[quote]I still tend to think that he is insanely jealous of his old comedy partner's American success.

ONLY an American would say that. Stephen Fry is objectively much more accomplished than Hugh Laurie, having written numerous books, presented travel and nature programs, directed a major film, written countless newspaper columns and articles... Have you even SEEN his CV? No, because it's all about success in "AmeriKa" to you.

by Anonymousreply 1503/19/2011

Oh god, is this fat old mess still sounding off?

No one cares about her. She needs to go away.

by Anonymousreply 1603/19/2011

R15, whereas I doubt that SF is jealous of HL, your logic is, well, illogical.

It does not follow that someone who is brilliant, loved, respected, and a possessor of all things amusing and fun, would necessarily be free of jealousy. Alas, that is not the way it works.

I repeat, I suspect that HL and SF love each other, and each is thrilled with the other's success.

But the mind - the emotional mind - is not a logical thing. And there are plenty of people who have it all, and yet are still jealous of others.

by Anonymousreply 1703/19/2011

R16, take your meds.

I'm not saying that Fry isn't extremely successful and accomplished. I'm saying that he is jealous of the one thing he HASN'T achieved. Surely we have all known someone at one time or another who we perceive has had enormous success, yet they focus on the thing they haven't achieved.

by Anonymousreply 1803/19/2011

R17, I was pointing out that the emphasis on AMERICAN success as the be-all and end-all is specifically an American thing and certainly not shared by all people who have achieved success elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 1903/19/2011

He probably pities his friend Hugh because he's forced to live in Los Angeles much of the year instead of his beloved England. I don't think he waited years before moving his family to America was because he thought House would fail. I think he just hated the thought of his kids growing up over here. Hasn't he moved them back after trying to have them over here for a while?

I know Tracy Ullman said she took her daughter back to England because the LA schools were abominable and she wanted her to learn how to learn, instead of playing with flowers and stuff in elementary school.

by Anonymousreply 2003/19/2011

Sorry for the abominable grammar. I should have said that I didn't think the REASON he waited years before moving his family was because...

by Anonymousreply 2103/19/2011

I misapprehended your message, R19. My apologies.

by Anonymousreply 2203/19/2011

So far, I don't get the hype over Stephen Fry. I've watched hours of interviews. He doesn't seem even the least bit brilliant or insightful or amusing. I guess I have little patience for the pseudo-clever chatter and deluded rationales of the unmedicated bipolar.

by Anonymousreply 2303/19/2011

Do all the gays do drugs?

by Anonymousreply 2403/19/2011

You mean, I could have done a crossword puzzle?

by Anonymousreply 2503/19/2011

[italic]ONLY an American would say that. Stephen Fry is objectively much more accomplished than Hugh Laurie, having written numerous books, presented travel and nature programs, directed a major film, written countless newspaper columns and articles..[/italic]

No BRITONS would say the same exact thing. You make it in America, fuck all you've done in your home country. $$$ = accomplished. Fry will always be second fiddle to Laurie now.

by Anonymousreply 2603/19/2011

If I looked like Stephen Fry, I'd take drugs too. Poor guy.

by Anonymousreply 2703/19/2011

He's a role model.

by Anonymousreply 2803/19/2011

'I found it extremely easy to stop, but it took me a very long time to get to a position where I was ready to.'

Is this the genteel British way of saying that he was an addict?

by Anonymousreply 2903/19/2011

R29, I knew many people who used powder cocaine in the late 70s and early 80s and none of them had a very difficult time quitting. They may have had a craving now and then but once it got too expensive they easily quit. %0D %0D So, no, I would call him an addict.

by Anonymousreply 3003/19/2011

Fry has bipolar disorder, so he'd be a fucking monster on coke.

by Anonymousreply 3103/19/2011

"So, no, I would call him an addict."

Yes, that is what I said. He was an addict.

by Anonymousreply 3203/19/2011

Yes, r14. I remember reading an interview in (I think) The Times Saturday Magazine, c.1999, when he discussed his drug taking at great length. I think it was just after he'd given it up.

And I've seen Steven Webb on stage a few times and met him once. He's utterly adorable.

by Anonymousreply 3303/19/2011

btw, Webb appears on this It Gets Better video.

by Anonymousreply 3403/19/2011

Bitch, r15, please. I remember after Laurie won one of his Golden Globes, he and Emma Thompson were on camera hugging and chumming, and Fry busted his ass across the room to try and get in the shot. He made it - for about half a second until the director switched away.

by Anonymousreply 3503/19/2011

What does that have to do with Fry coveting or not coveting "stateside" success, R35? That's just how YOU interpret his action. He probably would have done that anywhere, since God knows he's unapologetically overexposed.

by Anonymousreply 3603/19/2011

Who's Webb to say "It Gets Better" when he's slumming it with a bitter old fat man. Stephen Fry is accomplished, but he's always struck me as a nasty person. Still, I guess if he went 15 years celibate he deserves the attention of a twink in his 20s.

by Anonymousreply 3703/19/2011

Fucking brilliant. I doubt the veracity but who cares... it makes a great story and no one else was harmed, so... blow, man, blow.

by Anonymousreply 3803/19/2011

R37 actually, he was celibate for 16 years, then had a relationship with the same man for 14 years and now is with the twink (at least wikipedia says so).

As for your other comment, I adore Fry so why not date him?

by Anonymousreply 3903/19/2011

R32, I mmeant NO, he's NOT an addict. That should have been clear from the context.

by Anonymousreply 4003/19/2011

I take meth to enjoy my sudokus.

by Anonymousreply 4103/19/2011

[quote]Fry added: 'I found it extremely easy to stop, but it took me a very long time to get to a position where I was ready to.'

Uhm, technically this fact means that you found it ENDLESSLY DIFFICULT to stop, you freaking asshole!

by Anonymousreply 4203/20/2011

Do not believe the hype. He is a hideous man. A vile individual.

by Anonymousreply 4303/20/2011

I like him. A lot. I enjoy what he does. But I'm increasingly fatigued by him.

He's everywhere. It seems every other week he's got his name in the press and/or new-media for some thing or another, be it a new show or book or appearance or witty/questionable/outright-jackassly comment that he's made. It's too much.

What doesn't help is that his fawners (and there are fucking SCORES of them, the world over) encourage his tendencies for overexposure. He's their big gay uncle and everything he does is marvelous, wonderful, transcendent. He's a "national fucking treasure", with even his flaws and foibles championed as examples of just how bloody wonderful he is. The "self-effacing" schtick, adorable to begin with, increasingly seems only that: a schtick. A false humility when compared to his damned-near-omnipresence.

But with overexposure comes the danger of backlash; something he's already experienced to varying degrees. He's recovered well in the past, but I can't help but wonder how much of that is luck and how far he can push it before recovery is nigh-on impossible.

He says he'd like some time to himself, but he doesn't take it, ever, because ultimately he likes the work and the attention. I can't fault that, and would probably be the same in his position, but I'd want to be wary.

Honestly, I kind of wish he would just fuck off and make pork pies and chutney for a while. A bit of shush, some quiet Stephen-time away from the public sphere -- let's say a full year -- would do him a world of good. I've no doubt of it.

by Anonymousreply 4403/20/2011

I thought cocaine was supposed to make you lose weight? Obviously, that wasn't the case with Stephen Fry.

by Anonymousreply 4503/20/2011

I think what gets up my arse most about him, particularly with reference to OP's article, is his apparent attitude of obligation -- as though the world-at-large would somehow be bereft if he were to drop out of it, if only for a moment.

Go buy a place in the country, Stephen, if you don't own one already. Make pies, grow vegetables, read, write. Deny yourself an internet connection. Disengage.

But don't allow yourself to be everywhere and then bitch about it in a fucking newspaper interview.

by Anonymousreply 4603/20/2011

Of course Fry isn't jealous of Laurie. Fry knows how much Laurie hates playing House and living in the States.

If you want to see Fry's brain and tongue at work, watch this...

by Anonymousreply 4703/20/2011

[quote]The drug habit thing reeks of smear campaign.

Consider the source.

by Anonymousreply 4803/21/2011

How'd he even manage to get it up that nose?

by Anonymousreply 4903/21/2011

So Mr. Fry is going through another backlash cycle. the conservatives and daily mail must be eating this up.

With many celebrities, I'd agree with r44. If the celebrity world weren't teeming with hateful and vapid idiots who feel the need to rant and trash and spit their vile opinions on everything from raising kids to cupcakes, then yes I would say Fry should calm down but as it is- fuck god no.

This man has something worthwhile to say in most of his comments and interviews. Even with some of the more idiotic stuff he's said. 95% of the time he is doing things and using his celebrity towards really great stuff. He also spends a lot of time on Twitter promoting very worthwhile causes.

I hope we will always have someone like him to shed some positive light and intelligence in the world.

by Anonymousreply 5003/21/2011

His Wagner series was seriously embarrassing. He gushed all over Eva Wagner, and it was all she could do to detach herself from him.

by Anonymousreply 5103/21/2011

Hasn't Laurie signed up for another U.S. series? He couldn't have hated it that much--the man has made a small mint.

by Anonymousreply 5203/12/2013

He's overexposed, and quite frankly, boring. It's interesting how so many call him a 'genius' - I'd hang out with Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Sonia Sotomayor, and Lisa Randall over this guy.

by Anonymousreply 5303/12/2013

When I was sobering up I did crosswords to takey mind off of cocaine. Seriously

by Anonymousreply 5403/12/2013

by Anonymousreply 5503/12/2013

[quote]Fry added: 'I found it extremely easy to stop, but it took me a very long time to get to a position where I was ready to.'

Sounds to me like a pun.

by Anonymousreply 5603/12/2013

A pun on what? If you are referring to how long the cocaine line might be, that's not a pun - 'time' and 'position' do not have the multiple meanings here that would be required.

by Anonymousreply 5703/12/2013

Pun may be the wrong word, but I thought he joked about it being easy for him to kick the habit by adding the 'but it took me a very long time to get to a position where I was ready to' part. Maybe it's rather some dry wit response or just being a smart ass?

by Anonymousreply 5803/12/2013

[quote] He is a god. No, not in that can-do-no-wrong way. He's a brilliant man who has been a notorious thief, liar, druggie, and pompous ass who is also one of the most painfully giving, honest, clear-thinking, disciplined, and truly humble people I've ever met. He's human, and flawed, and humane, and real.

DL's favorite junkie weighs in. You still think you're a good guy, don't you?

He's an idiot. I would have done better on that god debate than he did, and I bet most dataloungers would have. Furthermore, he acted as a stooge for the genocidal dictator of Uganda and his fake AIDS programs. The chief problem here is that he has no trouble talking about things he doesn't know anything about, and while that would be fine if we had a real marketplace of ideas; in current practice, with a conservative media near monopoly, it means he is as useful to our enemies as our friends. All of which means he should take more care with what he says.

by Anonymousreply 5903/12/2013

How does one do that much coke and stay that fat?

by Anonymousreply 6003/12/2013

Well, it certainly gave him the worst deviated septum I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 6103/12/2013

I was just about to post r47's link to Stephen giving a speech against the Catholic Church. I love Stephen Fry. This is a brilliant speech in which Stephen compares the church's perverse preoccupation with--and avoidance of--sex with an anorectic's with food.

by Anonymousreply 6203/12/2013

[quote]I found it extremely easy to stop, but it took me a very long time to get to a position where I was ready to.

I've heard the same sort of comment from some alcoholics who drank heavily for years without trying to stop, but when they finally reached the point that they wanted to stop, they were able to do so with much effort.

by Anonymousreply 6303/12/2013

R63=George W. Bush, monitoring datalounge for his place in history.

by Anonymousreply 6403/12/2013

You're weird, R64.

by Anonymousreply 6503/12/2013

Being a Jack-Of-All-Trades is what he does, so taking a year off isn't in his nature. He complains about his schedule, but no-one forces him to say 'Yes' to everything, or to Tweet. He does it all because he wants to.

Maybe what he envies Laurie is the colossal pay-checks. Doubtless Fry does nicely, but nowhere near his mate's numbers. He's keen to stay very visible for lots of reasons. Chutney-making, as if.

Fry seems basically a good thing, though his charms are certainly spread thinly. He probably minds not being quite as clever as he'd like to be: not first-rate at anything.

He's also not as nice as he seems. After Christopher Hitchens's memorial service Fry met CH's brother Peter, who finds Fry resistible. So what did Fry do? Slag off Peter on Twitter, for the way he came across to a stranger at his brother's farewell. (Fry is 55.) Peter discussed the matter in print.

by Anonymousreply 6603/12/2013

I agree with R66. Having read his second volume of autobiography I know Fry hates himself more than anyone else, however even in this he isn't really sincere. He's basically good, but VERY weak. And his intelligence is a trick- again he says this himself- he simply has a brilliant memory. That is not to say he's not smart. But genius he is not.

There are worse things in the world than Stephen Fry, ultimately. He's his own punishment.

But yes, he's easily 25% schtick like all celebrities. I'm not sure if he wanted you to read that between the lines, but it was definitely there loud and clear. Allow me to explain, briefly. Fry goes "I'm a fraud, don't listen to me" but writes in such a way you're being manipulated to ignore that as well. This trick works brilliantly on the Twitter generation, but those of us with critical function still in tact can see he's a very lucky sod and his best talent is self-promotion.

by Anonymousreply 6703/12/2013

Yes, it does work really well with the fortysomethings, ayb. I, for one, find him unimportant and uninteresting.

by Anonymousreply 6803/12/2013

I thought he looked ill or wrecked or aged when he hosted the BAFTAS last month - much different to how he usually looked, though he sounded the same.

The UK papers here famously poked a lot of fun at him for being on tv 189 times over the 2 week christmas period in endless reruns of his quiz shows and various movies and other appearances ... no wonder he needs drugs to keep so busy !

by Anonymousreply 6903/12/2013

I love him, I've loved him for decades, I will love him for the rest of my life.

That is all.

by Anonymousreply 7003/12/2013

[quote]Who the hell is he?

He's like the old, fat British version of James Franco (i.e. annoying, fancies himself as an intellectual and thinks he knows everything).

by Anonymousreply 7103/12/2013

He pulled some "fact" out of his ass on his quiz show quoting Carl Sagan's "but that would be boasting" Voyager gold record line re Bach.

by Anonymousreply 7205/23/2013

People named Stephen are always backstabbing liars R70.

by Anonymousreply 7305/24/2013

Who? He probably is addicted to coke but does not want to admit it to himself. I know a lot of people who thought cocaine was not addictive for them and then it snared them in and they became easily addicted to it.

by Anonymousreply 7405/24/2013

I'm always embarrassed by people like Stephen Fry who think they can speak and pronounce proper German when in fact all they are able to say are a couple of words, and none of them are pronounced how they should be.

Especially with Stephen Fry, I think he quite likes himself being someone who can speak a bit German when in reality it sounds like Charlie Chaplin making up German sounds.

I also agree with R66 and R67.

by Anonymousreply 7505/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!