Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Jennifer Jason Leigh in "Dolores Claiborne", "Fast Times at Ridgemont High", "EXisTenZ", "40 Acres".

So awesome, what a career.

by Anonymousreply 18210/25/2014

Miami Blues, Mrs. Parker, Georgia, Last Exit To Brooklyn

by Anonymousreply 103/17/2011

Love Georgia, her mother Barbara Turner wrote it. "I'm rich!" Jenny proclaimed to Phoebe Cates as she burst into the hotel room in L.A. after learning of her dad's death on the set of "Twilight Zone".

by Anonymousreply 203/17/2011

She's hilarious in Miami Blues and Alec Baldwin is fucking hot. It's a really good, weird, little movie.

by Anonymousreply 303/17/2011

Is this sarcasm, op?

by Anonymousreply 403/17/2011

Fast Times at Ridgemont High is one of my favorite movies

by Anonymousreply 503/17/2011

Underrated actress.

by Anonymousreply 603/17/2011

r2 you are a liar!!

by Anonymousreply 803/17/2011

Add Margot at the Wedding and SWF.

by Anonymousreply 903/17/2011

Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle was one of the best ensemble films of it's day, led by Leigh's magnificent performance. Leigh, Campbell Scott, Matthew Broderick were all terrific. Even a younger Gweneth Paltrow did a great job. Another small film virtually ignored by the average movie goer in favor of garbage

by Anonymousreply 1003/17/2011

How about her performance in "Single White Female?"

by Anonymousreply 1103/17/2011

Gad, are you people nuts? She's frequently a mannered, annoying actress who sometimes talks like she has marbles in her mouth (a horrible tic she shares with Mary Louise Parker).%0D %0D Her performance in MRS. PARKER belongs in the Hall of Histrionic Infamy. She managed to make Dorothy Parker witless and humorless, even with all those great lines. %0D %0D The only good performances she's given were in FAST TIMES, MIAMI BLUES, and parts of DOLORES CLAIBORNE.

by Anonymousreply 1203/17/2011

What R12 said.

by Anonymousreply 1403/17/2011

Mrs. Parker is great. And, yes, the ensemble cast is fantastic. Jane Adams, Lili Taylor, Martha Plimpton and even decent performances from Heather Graham and Nick Cassavetes.

by Anonymousreply 1503/17/2011

I think she's quite riveting & interesting as Dot Parker. Doesn't she have a sister? Saw her going into the theater tonight, she looks gorgeous, her skin is flawless and beautiful hair. A goddess with so much talent, what about that one she did with Alan Cummings, "The Anniversary Party"?

by Anonymousreply 1603/17/2011

She has 2 half sisters. One is a sometimes actress. The other was the inspiration for Sadie Flood in Georgia.

The Anniversary party was kind of fun but she gave a horrible performance in it. I loved Jane Adams in it and it was great how the skewered Gwyneth.

by Anonymousreply 1703/17/2011

Why isn't "Last Exit" shown more? Is it the subject matter?

by Anonymousreply 1803/17/2011

It was 'The Hudsucker Proxy' that did it for me. Before that, I was a little intrigued. After that, all I could see were mannered affectations.

by Anonymousreply 1903/17/2011

Last Exit To Brooklyn is so dark and exhausting. I'd assume that'd be one of the reasons. Also, Stephen Lang is a ham.

by Anonymousreply 2003/17/2011

She did something called "The Men's Club" and I like her with Michelle Pfeiffer, Jessica Lange & Jason Robards, "A Thousand Acres".

by Anonymousreply 2103/17/2011

I heard she is a sweet person.

by Anonymousreply 2203/17/2011

She nails that 40s quick sardonic delivery in "Hudsucker Proxy" - so great. Yes, she very affecting in "Single White Female". She played an anorexic teen in "Best Little Girl in the World". Her mother had gigolos who worked as pool boys at their Beverly Hills home.

by Anonymousreply 2303/17/2011

She's a TERRIBLE actress! Ugh. Her Dorothy Parker was ridiculous (and if you've seen the brief film clips of the real Dotty, you know how inaccurate and impression she did).

by Anonymousreply 2403/17/2011

She's not a famewhore either. Really very little p.r. on her over the years. She invited Brian Backer to live with her and her mother while they were making "Fast Times".

by Anonymousreply 2503/17/2011

I wish they were still making movies with interesting female leads like JJL, Lili Taylor and Parker Posey.

by Anonymousreply 2603/17/2011

I once shared a drink with Ms. Parker at The Algonquin and I tell she nailed her voice. It was uncanny. JJL listened to hours of audio tapes of Dorothy.

by Anonymousreply 2703/17/2011

[quote]Really very little p.r. on her over the years.

That's because she makes movies 10 people see.

by Anonymousreply 2803/17/2011

Hated her father, HATED!

by Anonymousreply 2903/17/2011

[quote]I wish they were still making movies with interesting female leads like JJL, Lili Taylor and Parker Posey.

So we have JJL, Taylor and Posey to blame! I wish they were still making movies with interesting female leads but didn't cast talentless fuggos like Taylor and JJL. Posey could at least act.

by Anonymousreply 3003/17/2011

Posey was great in The House of Yes.

by Anonymousreply 3103/17/2011

I love Jennifer Jason Leigh, but her performance in "Dolores Claiborn" is so awful, petulant yet hammy, and one note, she sort of sinks the whole movie.

by Anonymousreply 3203/17/2011

Not awful; just way too self aware. You can always see her acting in some portion of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 3303/17/2011

She's a hell of a lot more interesting than most of the crop working today.

by Anonymousreply 3403/17/2011

One of the worst Hollywood "stars" ever. Her name is synonymous with "bad acting."

by Anonymousreply 3503/18/2011

Good actress. No charisma.

by Anonymousreply 3603/18/2011

R19, everything in Hudsucker Proxy is mannered. Kind of the point of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 3703/18/2011

Lili Taylor was in Starting Out in the Evening with Lauren Ambrose (her Six Feet Under co-star). Good movie.

by Anonymousreply 3803/18/2011

She fits the part in "Dolores" perfectly. The workaholic yuppie trying to forget her past with overambition and drinking and pills. I think she should've been nominated. I don't think she's mannered at all, she can do light comedy (Fast Times) and drama. She has range, people!!! And she's ten times more interesting than the people around today.

by Anonymousreply 3903/18/2011

But such a bitter, hateful BITCH!

And wait until the custody battle gets going.

by Anonymousreply 4003/18/2011

I read somewhere years ago that she was considered an example of how a method actor shouldn't behave in the film industry. Apparently she was labeled as crazy and weird on set and it cost her jobs. I've always thought she was quite talented. I love her marble-mouthed Dorothy Parker.

by Anonymousreply 4103/18/2011

JJL pings to high heaven!!!

by Anonymousreply 4203/18/2011

r41 Method Acting is NOT literal, it isn't shooting heroin if you're playing a junkie, it isn't insisting on being called by your character's name, etc. Method Acting IS the employ of sensory objects to bridge the gaps between the actor and character where necessary.

by Anonymousreply 4303/18/2011

I HATED her in Dolores Claiborne. She almost ruined the entire film. Loved her in eXistenZ and Fast Times though.

by Anonymousreply 4403/18/2011

I think you people are hating the character in "Dolores" - she's supposed to be a downer. Who else could've played it any better? Or differently, that's the way she was written.

by Anonymousreply 4503/18/2011

Hudsuckery Proxy is a cute movie. The Anniversary Party is repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 4603/18/2011

No, her performance was just an annoying one-note. Many actresses could have shown the pain and violence in her without it being just a one-note performance.

by Anonymousreply 4703/18/2011

What makes it one note? And how would you or any other actor have played it? You're just copying what others say on here without anything specific to back it up!

by Anonymousreply 4803/18/2011

I loved 'margot at the wedding' except for her. She burdened that movie with her stinkeye.

by Anonymousreply 4903/18/2011

r49, I thought Margot At The Wedding would have been a lot more interesting if Leigh and Kidman had swapped roles. Leigh always plays the fuck up and Kidman always plays the ice princess so it just felt like Deja Vu.

by Anonymousreply 5003/18/2011

Actually MARGOT AT THE WEDDING would have been more interesting with Kidman as Margot and Laura Linney as the sister. Linney is a real actress.%0D %0D Kidman is so terrific in that scene at the bookstore reading. I hate to think what JJL would have done.

by Anonymousreply 5103/18/2011

Love Margot, too bad about Greenberg, didn't like Squid and the Whale, although it stayed with me for awhile. And of course the adorable Jessie Eisenberg.

by Anonymousreply 5203/19/2011

I recommend Greenberg. I thought it was offbeat and funny and I liked Ben Stiller.

by Anonymousreply 5303/19/2011

Jesse was good in TS&TW. So was Owen Kline, son of Kevin Kline and Phoebe Cates.

by Anonymousreply 5403/19/2011

Thought she was great in "Proof" on stage. Didn't she also do a Neil LaBute play? If she didn't, she'd be great in one.

by Anonymousreply 5603/19/2011

To bad her marriage to Greenberg is ending so badly.

by Anonymousreply 5703/19/2011

r56, I saw her twice in Proof, hoping that the first time being horrible was a result of having to open the Thursday after 9/11 but she was just as bad several months later. Parker on the other hand was amazing all five times I saw her in the play.

by Anonymousreply 5803/19/2011

R56, is Proof the same play as the movie Paltrow was in.. the one about the mathematician and his daughter.

by Anonymousreply 5903/19/2011

They have a child? How old?

by Anonymousreply 6003/19/2011

"Jennifer..Jason..LEIGH!"

by Anonymousreply 6103/19/2011

The child is 30 years old.

by Anonymousreply 6203/19/2011

What happened with her marriage? Did she miscarry?

by Anonymousreply 6312/14/2011

Loved Margot, and JJL in it. Thought she did a really good job with Fast Times, as her part was more challenging than Phoebe's.

by Anonymousreply 6404/06/2012

did anyone see her stint in Cabaret?

by Anonymousreply 6504/06/2012

No but my friend saw her in "Proof" and said she was hard to hear. She really hadn't done much stage really.

by Anonymousreply 6604/06/2012

I saw her in Cabaret....it was kind of the same as her performance in "Georgia." She was a horrible singer BUT sold it as part of Sally's dellusions and addictions.

No she didn't miscarry.

by Anonymousreply 6704/06/2012

She seems like a sweetie and so fun in the film with Kevin Bacon and Teri Hatcher about young people in the film biz, "The Big Picture". She really has a good resume and is well thought of in the industry. She's aged well, still looks young and has managed to stay out of the limelight, not overexposing herself in the media like the twats today.

by Anonymousreply 6804/06/2012

I've always admired her vast and varied work. I was an extra in her movie "Washington Square", which was partially shot in my hometown, and she said hi to me when I waved at her. She is super-petite in person. She's one of those criminally underrated actresses.

by Anonymousreply 6904/06/2012

I would love to see her work with Holly Hunter.

by Anonymousreply 7004/06/2012

I think she's all over the place. She can turn in good performances, but she's also had really bad performances, and ones that were just "meh."

by Anonymousreply 7104/06/2012

How many drunks has she played?

by Anonymousreply 7204/06/2012

She was amazing in "Georgia." Didn't make much of an impression in "Claiborne" but that movie belongs to Bates and to a lesser extent Straithairn. No room for anyone else. I generally like her work.

by Anonymousreply 7304/07/2012

It's hard to play a drunk, and JJL does it well.

by Anonymousreply 7404/07/2012

Because she is one? The Men's Club is the 80s film where she plays yet another prostie.

by Anonymousreply 7504/07/2012

She's 50 years old.

by Anonymousreply 7604/07/2012

Brilliant performances in Georgia, Last Exit to Brooklyn, Rush and Mrs. Parker among others. Yeah she played quite a few hookers, junkies and alcoholics, but I don't think it was a simple case of stereotyping - she always seemed to have a genuine passion for dysfunctional female characters. I think for a while she was a genuinely original (minor) Hollywood rebel in her "unfeminine" role choices - think also of her grungy phone sex operator in Short Cuts, or how mousy, whiny and needy she made her psycho flatmate in Single White Female; turning down commercial projects like Pretty Woman and A League of Their Own; not doing any Oscar campaigning after getting Golden Globe nominations and critics' awards. I like that she's said she played a lot of "bad girl" roles in the 80s/90s because her real life was so quiet and boring, and also that the one time she caved into her agent's pressure and tried to play a "normal" girlfriend role in Backdraft, she said herself that she was so bad she would never try and play normal again. Would be good to see her get a juicy comeback role in the next few years, I'm curious to see Leigh at 50.

by Anonymousreply 7704/07/2012

R77, her next role is as the mentally ill mother of Allen Ginsberg (Daniel Radcliffe) in Kill Your Darlings... could be Supporting Actress meaty?

by Anonymousreply 7804/07/2012

She beat out Winona Ryder for that part in "The Hudsucker Proxy". I read that Winnie wanted that part badly, too. JJL is known for researching her roles extensively. I love that she's such a chameleon.

Another good performance from her came in the 80s thriller "The Hitcher" alongside C. Thomas Howell and Rutger Hauer. Her character gets killed offscreen in the most unspeakable of ways (she literally gets torn in half).

by Anonymousreply 7904/07/2012

I've heard the crazy and weird rumors too. Of course, she's had some weird shit to deal with too.

The whole family got a huge settlement from that helicopter incident if I recall.

by Anonymousreply 8004/07/2012

How is "EXisTenz" that's a Cronenberg that got some decent reviews but is rarely shown and didn't really find an audience.

by Anonymousreply 8104/07/2012

[quote]Didn't make much of an impression in "Claiborne" but that movie belongs to Bates and to a lesser extent Straithairn. No room for anyone else

NO! the old lady made a huge impact!

by Anonymousreply 8204/07/2012

She's on Weeds nowadays ya know.

by Anonymousreply 8304/07/2012

She's a decent human being. As an actress, she needs a strong director who can get her beyond her affectations. She got fucked over by that insufferable ex-husband of hers (I hate ALL of his movies), but unfortunately it's the classic scenario, director falls in love with his younger star (the insufferable Gerwig).

Margot wouldn't have been any good with any actresses - the script sucked and the world doesn't need another movie about rich white people and their petty problems (woody cornered that market in the 70s and 80s).

by Anonymousreply 8404/07/2012

I loved the scene in Dolores Claiborne where she locks herself in the bathroom and is popping pills. Kathy Bates is trying to get her to come out, and she's like "can't you please just give me 20 minutes?' or something like that. I'm not doing it justice, but it was pretty well done. She was unraveling, and just wanted the pills to kick in before she could go face her mother.

by Anonymousreply 8504/08/2012

R80 she didn't get any money at all from Vic's death. She's spoken about it several times.

R84 Kicking & Screaming is amongst the worst movies I've ever seen and not in a fun way.

So, do she and the ex have a kid?

by Anonymousreply 8604/08/2012

"Single White Female" isn't great art, but I can't stop watching it whenever I come across it, and JJL is a big part of the reason why.

She has two absurdly great moments in it. "Hello, Mr. Sleepy Guy" is one of them, and the other is when Hedy sheds her mousy demeanor to tell off Bridget Fonda's client over the phone with incredible viciousness. Bridget looks stunned, there's a beat, and then JJL says, like a little kid in a play, "Ta-DAAAH!"

by Anonymousreply 8704/08/2012

I love the scene in 'Single White Female' when Bridget Fonda is doing a dial-up Compuserve MS-DOS thing to order airline tickets and JJL's character is spellbound by it. It was very early Internet and cutting-edge technology for 1991 or '92, whenever it was. Not many people even know what an "Internet" was then.

by Anonymousreply 8804/08/2012

Yes, that would have been at the cutting edge 20 years ago, R88, much like what Sandra Bullock's character in The Net.

by Anonymousreply 8904/08/2012

I COMPLETELY AGREE on both points, R46!

by Anonymousreply 9004/08/2012

[quote]She was amazing in "Georgia." Didn't make much of an impression in "Claiborne" but that movie belongs to Bates and to a lesser extent Straithairn. No room for anyone else.

Fuck you, r73.

by Anonymousreply 9104/08/2012

I hate The Hudsucker Proxy. The Coen Brothers are complete hacks.

by Anonymousreply 9204/08/2012

Margot at the Wedding was disappointing. I had high hopes for it after The Squid and the Whale, which is great.

Parker Posey is good in The House of Yes, and the Daytrippers, but she is quite amusing in Clockwatchers.

JJL is now filming a movie about Allen Ginsberg and William Burroughs, starring DL faves Daniel Radcliffe and Michael C. Hall.

by Anonymousreply 9304/08/2012

Too bad Radcliffe can't act.

by Anonymousreply 9404/08/2012

Amazing resume, no doubt about it. But my problem with her isn't that she's mannered -- but that she's so morose. Every movie, she makes whatever life she's in look so hard. She makes eating a sandwich look hard.

Closest I ever saw her come to lightness (and some fun) hasn't been mentioned: Lydia, the New Wavey film student in "The Big Picture" who wanted to make a movie about shopping carts but it was "too fucking boring". (Slight as it is, I love that movie -- part of David Putnam's disastrous reign at Columbia).

by Anonymousreply 9504/08/2012

R95, The Big Picture was mentioned at R68.

by Anonymousreply 9604/08/2012

eXistenZ is a great movie. i loved it at the time. kind fell in the shadow of The Matrix which had a superficially similar plot. Jude Law was in it too, just before he made it big, along with Ian Holm, Calum Keith Rennie, Sarah Polley (who is in every canadian movie ever), etc. It helps a lot if you've played 90s computer adventure games, especially Myst, which it riffs off.

by Anonymousreply 9704/08/2012

You don't need to have played 90s computer games to appreciate eXistenz. It's pretty straight forward.

by Anonymousreply 9804/08/2012

Yes, she has a 1-year-old son with Noah Baumbach, who allegedly left her for his Greenberg star Greta Gerwig (22 years younger than JJL) while JJL was pregnant. Baumbach and Leigh had been dating since 2001 and, to make matters worse, she co-wrote and produced Greenberg and was also involved in casting Gerwig when Amy Adams backed out. From all reports I've heard over the years, JJL is not crazy just very quiet, private, good with children and dogs, not so interested in adults. There seems to be some goodwill towards her in Hollywood, probably because she's been working steadily for over 30 years and hasn't made any enemies along the way (can't believe Fast Times at Ridgemont High was 1982). By all accounts Baumbach is an insufferably smug, pompous creep, basically he IS the Jeff Daniels character in The Squid and the Whale. Gerwig just seems kinda dumb and mumbly.

by Anonymousreply 9904/08/2012

Gerwig is kind of cute. She's the new indie It-Girl.

by Anonymousreply 10004/08/2012

Loved her ever since reading this story of her Pretty Woman audition (from MOMI interview in 1994):

SCHWARTZ: Before we open it up to questions, I just want to ask about a few of the earlier films. At about the time you made Last Exit to Brooklyn, this was around when Pretty Woman was made, which was a much different view of a prostitute, and you turned down the role.

LEIGH: I didn’t turn down the role. He [Garry Marshall] would never have been interested in me for it!

SCHWARTZ: Could you talk about why you wouldn’t be interested in doing a role like that, like Pretty Woman?

LEIGH: Well, here’s an example. When I first read that script, it was a very dark script for Pretty Woman. And I thought, “Wow, Disney is changing!” (Laughter) And I had just done Last Exit and I thought, “Gee, should I do another whore?” But I thought, “I like whores, I think they are really interesting. So, what the hell?” And the script was interesting.

So I met him [Marshall] and he had no interest in me whatsoever. So I read a scene that was very brief, a little short scene where she comes up to the car and she says to the guy, “You want a blow job?” And he says, “How much?” And she says, “Thirty bucks,” or something. And we read that scene. And he said, “All right, I want to try it again, and you know, she’s still really having a good time. She’s only done this for about two weeks.” And I thought, “How much fun is it to get into a car with a sixty-year-old guy and unzip his fly and give him a blow job? How much fun is that, Garry?” (Laughter) And I just sort of knew this was not going to be—so then of course the movie came out, and it was a fairy tale. It’s a recruitment film. It’s like Top Gun for prostitutes! (Laughter, Applause)

by Anonymousreply 10104/08/2012

Is that her type? Pompous creeps?

by Anonymousreply 10204/08/2012

She lived with Eric Stoltz for 5 years in the mid 80s (he later dated her Single White Female co-star Bridget Fonda). She also had long relationships with Secretary writer-director Steven Shainberg, who originally wanted her to play the Maggie Gyllenhaal role when they were together, and with Boogie Nights/Magnolia/There Will Be Blood editor Dylan Tichenor.

by Anonymousreply 10304/08/2012

I remember an interview where VINCENT GALLO, of all people, said that although he had never met Jennifer Jason Leigh, he always imagined her as the kind of woman who keeps falling for pompous creepy lowlifes, and that he'd like to give her the opportunity to be with a nice guy for a change. He later offered her the Chloe Sevigny blowjob role in The Brown Bunny.

by Anonymousreply 10404/08/2012

She's not great in everything, no, but when she is good there are few better actresses in Hollywood. She gave an astonishing performance in LAST EXIT TO BROOKLYN as the self-loathing prostitute who strips off in a bar and instigates her own gang rape. She isn't mannered or affected at all in that film, just raw as an open wound. She played another prostitute that same year in MIAMI BLUES but a completely different one - sweet, naive, funny hooker-with-a-heart-of-gold type, so she has more range than she's credited with. She won the New York Film Critics Circle award as Best Supporting Actress that year, but she should have been nominated for and won the Oscar for Last Exit.

by Anonymousreply 10504/08/2012

Like most of her screen roles. Did not like her in CABARET. Following Natasha Richardson who was so good as Sally, Jennifer really didn't measure up.

by Anonymousreply 10604/08/2012

Saw her in a small role in "Greenberg". She looks way younger than 50 or 49 (or whatever age she was when the movie was made). She looks absolutely great.

by Anonymousreply 10704/08/2012

I did mention the excellent underlooked Michael McKean film "The Big Picture" before the poster said no one mentioned it, but kudos for remembering one of JJL's funny lines. Great pic, Jason Gould & Teri Hatcher are good, too.

by Anonymousreply 10804/08/2012

love Jennifer, I started this thread over a year ago and it came back to life, thanks DL I believe in you again!!!

by Anonymousreply 10904/08/2012

Miami Blues is one of my absolutely favorite films.

by Anonymousreply 11004/08/2012

Sorry, 108, didn't see earlier reference to "Big Picture" but glad others like it. Also worth watching for her quirky student film in the first five minutes with her face on the alarm clock. (I thought, out of those choices, she could've won).

She's fun and not so damn heavy in it. I like "Anniversary Party" too, though it is almost a parody of a Jennifer Jason Leigh performance. She always just looks... unhappy. And unhappy in the same way in every movie. (See Mare steal movie with barely a blink while Leigh bounces off ceiling in "Georgia").

P.S. You should have seen her signing autographs at Universal Studios (where I was a tour guide as a boy) when "Fast Times" came out and her dad had just died... was so weird, she looked morose then too but at least with good reason. P.S.S. Me and other tour guides snuck on the lot the night before Vic Morrow and those kids were killed and watched "Twilight Zone" shoot. John Landis made fun of us for being tour guides but let us stay anyway. Next night out on location... disaster. Hated Landis that night, even more after.

by Anonymousreply 11104/09/2012

oh ya, i don't think anyone has mentioned yet her turn as a domestic sex-line worker in Short Cuts

by Anonymousreply 11204/09/2012

yes they did, I love that movie, too. And she's very natural, not actressy, think that's one of the clues to her success. to the tour guide guy, do you remember Brian Backer at Universal signing autographs? I've seen him around at the bars and just wondered, always had a crush on him.

by Anonymousreply 11304/09/2012

NO, R113, but that is really funny, I have a cringe-worthy story on the same: Back when I was a major drunk (20 years ago), I went into a bar on Santa Monica on an off night, very few people there. And the first person I saw was... Brian Backer. It was clearly Brian Backer, "Fast Times" was barely 10 years old and he looked the same.

So I smile big and drunk and say "You're the guy from "Fast Times"!" And he gets this terrified look and says no. And, since I work in the biz, I take it further, to his horror, with "No, your name is Brian Backer. I know you're Brian Backer!" And he darts away and out the door like something from an old Lilian Hellmann play, the strings swelling. (If he's back at the bars, maybe he finally grew up and got over it. His career was done anyway).

I once did the same thing to Tony O'Dell from that dumb "Head of the Class" show at a gay party and just as loud. Thank God I got sober. But funny anyway -- like they really thought nobody would recognize them? Drunk or sober?

by Anonymousreply 11404/09/2012

R114--Tony O'Dell was at a gay party? I always found him to be totally hot. Tell me more!

by Anonymousreply 11504/09/2012

Brian is a real conundrum, he has a lot of stuff going on, I can't believe he was ever that uptight. He goes to all the bars in NYC but still doesn't fully identify as gay, he acted in Amy Heckerling's "Loser" in the 90s, hasn't done much really. Yeah, he is kinda weird and can play a good weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 11604/09/2012

ha, alas, nothing to tell, O'Dell was indeed hot, a perfect 80s twink, had a small house in the flats of Burbank, I recall, near some high school tennis courts where I used to play. (Odd how I know that since I was never actually with him -- just mutual friends, I guess). And I assumed openly gay but who knows.

Anyway, it wasn't a wild orgy or anything, just a stock beer party out by Venice Beach. Only thing I remember being funny -- my old boss, on Monday after the party, giving me a kind but firm lecture about how it's best not to recognize gay actors like that, to be more subtle/discreet. And I hadn't told him about the party yet. So clearly that guy's (gay) agent had called my (gay) boss -- or some other mutual (gay) acquaintance.

The days of the old Velvet Mafia. :) Happened all the time. (In fact, I have ALWAYS wondered how Carrie Fisher, Miss Inside Hollywood then, could not have known her CAA husband Bryan Lourd was gay. I knew he was gay because my BOSS told me he was gay, no big deal, just a fact. So nobody in her Hollywood crowd told her that? I assumed it was one of "those" arrangements but no...)

by Anonymousreply 11704/09/2012

She gave a heartbreaking performance in the 1981 TV movie Best Little Girl In The World. She plays a teen struggling with anorexia.

by Anonymousreply 11804/14/2012

Thanks for that link R118! I caught "The Best Little Girl in the World" on TV about 15 years ago and, although it has the dated and cheesy aspects you'd expect from an 80s disease-of-the-week TV movie about anorexia, I was surprised bt how sensitively it treated the subject. Leigh gave a genuinely affecting performance and starved herself down to 6 stone for the role. Strange that 20 years later she co-starred opposite Christian Bale pulling a similar weight loss stunt in The Machinist!

by Anonymousreply 11904/14/2012

JJL once made an interesting interview comment about the number of gay actors she's worked with. The interviewer asked her something about who was a good or bad kisser of the actors she's worked with, and she half-jokingly answered something to the effect that half the actors she's had onscreen sex with are gay and in the closet. Of probably-gay actors she's had sex scenes with I could pick out Brian Backer (in Fast Times), Frank Langella (in The Men's Club), hottie Matt Keeslar (in Thanks of a Grateful Nation) and openly gay Alan Cumming (in The Anniversary Party)... anyone have any other ideas??? What about Ben Chaplin (in Washington Square), is he gay?

She also said Alec Baldwin (in Miami Blues) and Rutger Hauer (in Flesh & Blood) were very hot playing their sex scenes.

by Anonymousreply 12004/14/2012

"The Anniversary Party" has Jennifer and Parker Posey, and pairs her back up with Phoebe Cates from Fast Times.

She played kind of annoying character in that movie, but the cast was packed with stars, yet still works on a low-key, independent level.

One of the only movies I can stand to watch with Gwyneth Paltrow.

by Anonymousreply 12207/18/2012

I have to womder of Gwyneth realized what a fool they were making of her.

by Anonymousreply 12307/18/2012

Nice actress. Has been in more than a few shitty films but she is unusual, risk-taking, genuinely not interested in playing the Hollywood game. There's also something classy about the way she has always kept her mouth shut and guarded her privacy, whether over her father's death and the resulting gossip about his inheritance, or her split with Noah Baumbach. She deflects attention by self-deprecatingly saying that her life is boring and she just enjoys acting but is socially retarded in all other areas (premieres, parties, interview circuit). Baumbach has kept his mouth shut too, yet he still managed to come off as an immature, cheating asshole, and Greta Gerwig as a homewrecker.

by Anonymousreply 12407/18/2012

R124, has Greta Gerwig even been in anything other than Greenberg?

by Anonymousreply 12507/18/2012

She played the friend in The House of the Devil.

by Anonymousreply 12607/18/2012

Are she and Baumbach still together?

by Anonymousreply 12707/18/2012

R127 - they recently spilt, and it's not happy.

by Anonymousreply 12807/18/2012

Did she just throw her career away?

by Anonymousreply 12907/18/2012

If only JJL had been in Secretary we might have been spared Maggie Gyllenhaals bullshit career.

Gerwig was in a bunch of small movies no one saw called the mumblecore movement.

by Anonymousreply 13007/19/2012

JJL has landed a very plum-sounding supporting role as Emily's presumed-dead psycho mother in Season 2 of Revenge. I hope this will be a juicy comeback for her and that she might get some awards attention, like Jessica Lange in American Horror Story.

by Anonymousreply 13108/17/2012

Ew. She's doimg that awful show? She's dead to me.

by Anonymousreply 13208/17/2012

Awful, terribly mannered actress. After watching her in 'SINGLE WHITE FEMALE' and 'MRS. PARKER & THE VICIOUS CIRCLE', I wanted to strangle her for all of her insufferable tics and mannerisms. She's like a male Vincent D'Onofrio.

by Anonymousreply 13308/17/2012

Very talented and has range. I like her better than Streep!

by Anonymousreply 13508/17/2012

I do like her and she's given great performances, good performances and some downright bad performances but that's the nature of taking risks and she does take them.

Saw her in Proof on Broadway and wasn't impressed but I really didn't care for the play aka Mathematics For Dummies. It wasn't exactly Tom Stoppard.

by Anonymousreply 13608/17/2012

I've liked her in a lot of things but she was dreadful in Proof. Somewhat better in Abigail's Party.

by Anonymousreply 13708/17/2012

JJL is really attempting a little comeback at the age of 50. As well as the psycho mom role on Revenge, she has four films in the pipeline: Kill Your Darlings (as Allen Ginsberg’s psycho mom), The Moment (a thriller where she plays the lead), the indie Jake Squared (with Elias Koteas), and another mom role in The Spectacular Now. She was also in the running for the Melissa Leo role in A Single Shot. I’m glad she’s working again because she dropped off the face of the earth for 6 or 7 years after hooking up with that swine Noah Baumbach, apart from doing his shitty films Margot at the Wedding and Greenberg which nobody saw. I heard she filed for divorce while pregnant after discovering he was cheating on her with Greta Gerwig, whom she had recommended as the female lead in Greenberg, which JJL also co-produced. Apparently she tried to take him to the cleaners. She looks well in this new pic Mary Elizabeth Winstead tweeted yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 13808/29/2012

my god that woman doesn't age. I wish her well, she's good.

by Anonymousreply 13908/29/2012

bump

by Anonymousreply 14012/08/2012

She did ok on Revenge, but no way in hell was it a comeback or anything she'll get nominated for. And JJL certainly has aged r139, and so have your eyes, get glasses.

by Anonymousreply 14112/08/2012

JJL has aged a little, but looks younger than her age.

by Anonymousreply 14212/08/2012

I love Jennifer Jason Leigh! I first saw her in Dolores Claiborne (I'm not that young, just not interested in a lot of films in my youth). I'm a fan of both Stephen King and Kathy Bates so I made it a point to watch this one. I fell in love with JJL the moment she opened her mouth. She's a really good actress - not int he league of Meryl Streep, Glenn Close or Kathy Bates but certainly more than a dozen times better than most of the overrated actors her age.

by Anonymousreply 14301/14/2013

She's quite hateable on [italic]Weeds[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 14401/14/2013

I admire her restraint on the p.r. front. Really hasn't done a lot of interviews or photo ops. Good for her!

by Anonymousreply 14501/15/2013

Any bi rumors about her? That girl pings!!

by Anonymousreply 14602/22/2013

She was REALLY fucked up over her dad's death. She said in one interview that she felt guilt and rage over it

by Anonymousreply 14702/22/2013

bump

by Anonymousreply 14802/23/2013

Last Exit was the second most depressive film I've ever seen.

by Anonymousreply 14902/23/2013

Why R147? She was quoted as saying "he was a stranger"

by Anonymousreply 15002/23/2013

I usually like her as an actress but she really stunk up Dolores Claiborne. Was it her or the direction.

One-note annoying angry performance.

by Anonymousreply 15102/23/2013

What does the drig addict sister Georgia was based on look like?

by Anonymousreply 15202/23/2013

r150, in people magazine she said she felt rage and guilt because they were not close, he gave all his money to her big sister (the one based on Georgia) whom he favored. Vic was reported to be very upset at her changing her name. He felt it was a slight on him. Her sister Carrie is not attractive at all(I am being nice) and became a heroin addict and a lesbian after having one kid

by Anonymousreply 15302/23/2013

JJL gives me a BI vibe

by Anonymousreply 15402/23/2013

I remember in the fall of 1992 Movieline had her on the cover and the article was titled "Future Oscar Winner". I remember thinking back then, "Probably not, Movieline."

by Anonymousreply 15502/23/2013

I think she is disturbed

by Anonymousreply 15602/24/2013

She's played some of the most despicable and pathetic women on screen. Besides some of the movies mentioned, I also loved/hated her in Bastard out of Carolina.

JJL seems to always walk the line of OTT/interesting which is probably why some people love a performance that others despise. So happy she'll be in Kill Your Darlings.

by Anonymousreply 15702/24/2013

Interesting-looking film called The Moment starring JJL premieres at Tribeca Festival next week. Her first substantial role since 2007's Margot at the Wedding. She plays a photojournalist recovering in a mental hospital.

by Anonymousreply 15804/13/2013

She is so underrated as an actress and deserves more awards and accolaides.

by Anonymousreply 15904/13/2013

Is she wealthy? How can she afford not to work? I mean, even when she works it's in independent films.

by Anonymousreply 16004/13/2013

I heard from someone who worked with her about 15 years ago that she is very shy, sensitive and sweet.

by Anonymousreply 16104/13/2013

She's been working steadily since the early '80s in all kinds of films, from big to small, so I'm sure she's not hurting for cash.

by Anonymousreply 16204/13/2013

P.S.

She does seem to like men who are jerks.

by Anonymousreply 16304/13/2013

Noah Baumbach was a notorious pig to her. She co-produced his film Greenberg, co-wrote the screenplay with him, helped him cast Greta Gerwig as the female lead... and then Baumbach hooks up with Gerwig while JJL is heavily pregnant with their child. The fact that she's now a single mother may explain why she's working more steadily again on big screen, TV and theatre. She also recently signed to CAA and is going up for bigger roles.

by Anonymousreply 16404/13/2013

I wish [italic]Revenge[/italic] writers had done more with her. JJL was so wonderfully neurotic on [italic]Weeds[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 16504/14/2013

Who is starting these terrible rumors that Jennifer Jason Leigh is a good actress? She's a HORRIBLE actress and always has been?

by Anonymousreply 16604/14/2013

will she ever win an oscar?

by Anonymousreply 16704/14/2013

Not impossible, R167. She may be 51 now but she's worked with half of Hollywood since 1980, never made industry enemies, and is considered one of the unluckiest actresses to miss out on Oscar nods despite a lot of critics' awards (see link below). Apparently her roles in Kill Your Darlings and The Spectacular Now are both very small, but if she got a juicy supporting role in the right film, she could be the type to make a surprise middle-aged comeback and win a Supporting Actress Oscar on her first nomination.

by Anonymousreply 16804/14/2013

I just admire her for her gutsy and diverse roles. I briefly met her once when I was an extra on her film "Washington Square" when it filmed in Baltimore. I said "Hi" and she meekly waved and said "Hi" back. I was like, is that shy girl the same woman who played Heddy in "Single White Female" and Tralala in "Last Exit to Brooklyn"?

by Anonymousreply 16904/14/2013

I know this is soft-focus B&W, but still, JJL looks good for 51 in this recent pic in Elle.

by Anonymousreply 17004/24/2013

[quote]Who is starting these terrible rumors that Jennifer Jason Leigh is a good actress? She's a HORRIBLE actress and always has been!

Agree completely.

by Anonymousreply 17104/24/2013

She will play the female lead in new Quentin Tarantino western The Hateful Eight.

by Anonymousreply 17210/10/2014

Thanks R172 - interesting role.

by Anonymousreply 17310/10/2014

You don't see JJL shilling shmatas on the red carpet, lamely laffing it up with the late night Jimmys - none of it.

She's interesting. Do you know ANY other actress 30-50 about whom you could say the same? Nowadays they're all anorexic mini-corporations. Blecch.

by Anonymousreply 17410/10/2014

It's uncanny how much she resembles her late father, Vic Morrow. He was in a couple of episodes of The Rifleman that I recently watched, and everything from his stance to the way he walked to the way that he pronounced words is echoed in his daughter.

by Anonymousreply 17510/10/2014

She was in the original "The Hitcher," but her character was generic cannon fodder (tied between two opposing big rigs) and Rutger Hauer out-acted everyone in the movie several times over anyway.

by Anonymousreply 17610/11/2014

Thighs!

by Anonymousreply 17710/11/2014

^^Whoops, wrong thread...

by Anonymousreply 17810/11/2014

Big Jennifer Jason leigh fan over here. Hopefully her collaboration with Quentin will put her back on the map. Quentin has a knack for revitalizing the careers of talented actors with faded profiles.

by Anonymousreply 17910/23/2014

Mrs. Parker was awful. Couldn't understand marble-mouth at all!

by Anonymousreply 18010/23/2014

Being Tarantino's muse didn't do much for Uma, R179. And where is Michael Madsen?

by Anonymousreply 18110/25/2014

Love her, loved Mrs. Parker especially. And of course, as Stacy Hamilton.

by Anonymousreply 18210/25/2014
Need more help? Click Here.