Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

My GOD man, I fucking LOVE sardines!

Anyone else?%0D %0D I am feeling the best of my life with the foods I've started eating the last year, and sardines are right up in the top ten. %0D %0D Just the simple, perfect tiny ones in olive or other good oil. Drain on a paper towel, slide over to a small plate, sprinkle with crushed ground pepper and a smidge of kosher salt, it's perfection.%0D %0D So inexpensive and only 150 calories per serving - all protein.

by Feeling goodreply 15205/22/2013

Try the ones in mustard sauce -- sublime!

by Feeling goodreply 103/11/2011

do you put them on crackers, or just eat them by themselves?

by Feeling goodreply 303/11/2011

What foods ARE you eating this year? I'm trying to eat more fish and less red meat and chicken, and am feeling a tad better with myself.

And where do you get your sardines? I've developed an affection for anchovies.

by Feeling goodreply 403/11/2011

I love them as well - always have, even as a kid. Kippers and smoked oysters as well. As we deplete the ocean's fish, we'll be relying more and more on small fish like the sardine. Get used to them.

by Feeling goodreply 503/11/2011

I love them too. They're very good for you, fortunately.%0D %0D We've had some excellent food threads lately. Thank you, fellow foodies.

by Feeling goodreply 603/11/2011

Seems like a lot of people find sardines disgusting. I have always loved them, they're delicious.

by Feeling goodreply 703/11/2011

I don't like the canned ones but when I've been in Spain I love the fresh ones marinated in olive oil and garlic.

by Feeling goodreply 803/11/2011

What brand do you buy? I remember growing up with them in our kitchen cabinet. I remember the brand was named after some Danish or Swedish king. %0D

by Feeling goodreply 903/11/2011

In Venice, there is a traditional dish of sardines with caramelized onion and raisins that sounds wackadoodle but is awesome. Most often served cold.

by Feeling goodreply 1003/11/2011

I have read that sardines are making a comeback. I guess there popularity started to decline in the 1960's.%0D They used to be a lunchpail staple.

by Feeling goodreply 1103/11/2011

I've never had them. Do you eat them whole - bones and all?

I guess I never tried them because I suppose I thought they would taste gross but maybe I should give them a chance.

by Feeling goodreply 1203/11/2011

This thread is useless without pics.

by Feeling goodreply 1303/11/2011

I love fish and would like to try them. If anyone has any favorite recipes, please post them. %0D %0D Do you have to de-bone them and if so is it easy?

by Feeling goodreply 1403/11/2011

The ones I buy (OP here) are around $2 from Target, in a red package. %0D %0D I also enjoy gourmet ones when I come across them in more upscale markets. But the Target ones (sorry, I know we are not supposed to go there!) are really perfect. You can barely detect the bones.%0D %0D I do enjoy them with crackers of all types, but crackers, breads, etc. are not things I'm eating too often these days.%0D %0D Thank goodness so many foods are just perfect as they are!%0D %0D I used to think of sardines as slimy, tadpole like things when I was a kid, but into my 30's I've found how wonderful they are to the palate and the body.%0D %0D

by Feeling goodreply 1503/11/2011

I forgot to buy some today. They are my go to food when Im short on time. And they are so tasty!

by Feeling goodreply 1703/11/2011

I love them too. I buy King Oscar Mediterranean style, put them on stoned wheat thins with a little mustard and a sprinkle of lemon-y sumac powder on top, pour myself a glass of red wine, and I'm in heaven.%0D %0D (There's no need to debone this type, r14.)

by Feeling goodreply 1803/11/2011

cannot stand the smell of those stinky fishes. used to make my roommate go outside when he wanted to eat them.

by Feeling goodreply 2003/11/2011

My favorite used to be Underwood brand - especially the ones packed in tomato sauce. It's been so long since I've had them, though that I'm not even sure if they're still around. But anyway, they were great simply made as sandwich in Italian bread or a club roll. So easy to make, and [italic]delicious[/italic].

by Feeling goodreply 2103/11/2011

I'm really glad that I don't have to kiss any you. But hurray for sardines!

by Feeling goodreply 2203/11/2011

Ligo brand sardines are the best IMO. You can eat them right out of the can. I buy them from my local Asian supermarket.

by Feeling goodreply 2303/11/2011

I love SOY-dines too.

by Feeling goodreply 2403/11/2011

I wish I could eat sardines for their nutritional value, but fish makes me gag. Literally.%0D %0D I can barely eat a filet-o-fish from McDonald's, unless it's smothered with tartar sauce. But if I try to eat a "fishy" fish, I start wretching and heaving, on the verge of puking.%0D %0D Does anyone else have this aversion to seafood? I can't eat lobsters, shrimp, crab, and practically every other type of fish.%0D %0D It really bothers me because fish is so healthy for us, but I simply can't eat it.%0D %0D What's wrong with me??

by Feeling goodreply 2503/11/2011

I like it in a sauce for pasta (specifically bucatini) - olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, chopped fennel and onion, tomatoes, pignoli & currants. And topped off with fried breadcrumbs.

by Feeling goodreply 2603/11/2011

this is a timely thread, my doctor told me to eat more fish. I used to eat sardines as a kid (my dad liked them).%0D %0D any more sugggestions on quick dishes? I like the idea of a simple sandwich - the ones in mustard sound good for that.%0D %0D We used to remove the center bone, is that still the case? I don't want to eat bones!

by Feeling goodreply 2703/12/2011

My father opened a can for me when I was young and I promptly threw up on the kitchen floor.%0D %0D No, just no.

by Feeling goodreply 2803/12/2011

Some come as filet, no bones at all.

If not removing the center bone is very easy. It slides right out.

I love them. They are loaded with omega 3, small enough not to contain mercury and very tasty.

by Feeling goodreply 2903/12/2011

I'm a sardine! *sob*

by Feeling goodreply 3003/12/2011

My mother used to make my father these ENORMOUS sardine and raw onion sandwiches on a baguette. My father like it with LOTS of olive oil. I always thought they were disgusting. However, since I am looking for a cheap source of protein and I shop constantly at Trader Joe's...

by Feeling goodreply 3103/12/2011

To me, your father's meal sounds wonderful and even rustic elegant. Very French.%0D %0D

by Feeling goodreply 3203/12/2011

I don't get r30's joke. Someone please explain.

by Feeling goodreply 3303/12/2011

Sardines are one hell of a delicious, cheap, and nutritious protein source. Just be sure to throw the can in the outside trash.

Same with Brunswick boneless herring fillets. I sometimes get it for the grand sum of 1 dollar.

As far as the price, only beans can beat them.

I just like to plop them on reduced fat triscuits and have them with a sweet potato and some veggies (brussel sprouts, squash, tomatoes, etc).

I try to have a high omega3 seafood twice a wk.

My choices include salmon(red and pink, sometimes straight out of the can with bones),

albacore tuna, sardines, herring, anchovies, and trout.

Cane me... but I like the full plate serving of broiled trout(with skin) from Red Lobster. Total meal with 20% tip is only $23 and I get 2 meals out of it.

by Feeling goodreply 3403/12/2011

[quote]What's wrong with me??

You have a childish, undeveloped palate, r25. And you're probably fat.

by Feeling goodreply 3503/12/2011

I could only find them packed in soybean oil or spring water at my corner store (not high end, obviously). Are either any good?

by Feeling goodreply 3603/12/2011

Eat 'em up!

HOWEVER, if you're prone to gout, sardines have been known bring on attacks.

by Feeling goodreply 3703/12/2011

Soybean oil isn't good. You should look somewhere they have them packed in olive oil. I would guess the ones packed in water are lower in calories but waterlogged and tasteless.

by Feeling goodreply 3803/12/2011

OP, why would you put salt on them? Are they not already high in sodium? I don't know, just asking.

by Feeling goodreply 3903/12/2011

They don't taste like anchovies, do they? I don't like them.

by Feeling goodreply 4003/12/2011

Not liking sardines is a total deal breaker.

by Feeling goodreply 4103/12/2011

Sardines are delicious, but loving them is just plain sick. Those little dead fishies should never be sexually abused, even after death and having been embalmed with oil.

by Feeling goodreply 4203/12/2011

Packed in spring water is just fine. That's how I prefer them. Just make sure they are not skinless....

The skin is where a lot of the good fat is.

by Feeling goodreply 4303/12/2011

I think they're beautiful. They just LOOK healthy, I mean, especially for something dead. Yet, they seem happy too all there together in such neat little rows.

by Feeling goodreply 4403/12/2011

[quote]I think they're beautiful. They just LOOK healthy, I mean, especially for something dead. Yet, they seem happy too all there together in such neat little rows.%0D %0D You forgot *kisses doll*.%0D

by Feeling goodreply 4503/12/2011

R27, the bones are just a little crunchy, not sharp at all -- they're pulverized by the pressure cooking of the fish -- I usually don't even notice they're there. And they're an excellent source of calcium, actually recommended for women seeking to prevent osteoporosis. I love sardine sandwiches -- on some kind of good bread -- with a slab of nice crunchy iceberg lettuce -- butter the bread & salt the fish (or use the ones in mustard sauce & smear the sauce all over the bread). Sea Cliff brand -- 89cents a can when on sale at discount grocery stores.

by Feeling goodreply 4603/12/2011

Are they canned whole? do I neet to gut and filet them?

by Feeling goodreply 4703/12/2011

Bela Sardines are really good. %0D %0D They are wild caught from Portugal.%0D %0D If you are in the NY area and have a Natural Frontier near you they are $1.89 a can this week. The lemon ones in EVOO are especially good.%0D

by Feeling goodreply 4803/12/2011

I hate the smell - it makes me want to vomit!

by Feeling goodreply 4903/12/2011

right thread, wrong comment no., R45

by Feeling goodreply 5003/12/2011

Sardines are great! It reminds me of my childhood. I used to make sardine sandwiches for myself when I came home from school. I now buy the sardines packed in spring water..not into the tomato packed cans.

by Feeling goodreply 5103/12/2011

Me too!

by Feeling goodreply 5203/12/2011

....me to

by Feeling goodreply 5303/12/2011

I can't be bothered reading this whole thread.

Has MHB made any comments?

by Feeling goodreply 5403/12/2011

The ones packed in mustard, hot sauce, chili sauce, and other such odds and ends are the ones that have started to go off and they mask the rankness with the heavy flavor. Better to stick with the simple sardines packed in oil and dress them yourself if you like them that way.

by Feeling goodreply 5503/13/2011

Do you eat the guts too? What about the head, eyes, and brain?

by Feeling goodreply 5703/13/2011

We suck it ALL.

by Feeling goodreply 5803/13/2011

Delicious? Horseshit. If they were delicious you wouldn't need the mustard sauce, olive oil, caramelized onions and raisins, lemon-y sumac powder, tomato sauce, sweet potato and some veggies (brussel sprouts, squash red pepper flakes, chopped fennel, pignoli & currants. And topped off with fried breadcrumbs.

by Feeling goodreply 5903/13/2011

Well they do taste fishy, R59 -- if one doesn't care for that, one should avoid sardines.

No gutting, just eat the whole thing -- it's pressure cooked, so it's all very soft & can be mashed up with a fork if you don't want to see what you're eating.

They don't taste like the anchovies that most Americans are used to, because those are packed in salt & taste very briney.

by Feeling goodreply 6003/13/2011

This whole thread is making my mouth water.

by Feeling goodreply 6103/14/2011

This is the best recipe for sardine spread sandwiches that I've ever had.%0D %0D 3 3/4 oz. can sardines, drained%0D 1/2 c. finely shredded Monterey Jack or Swiss cheese%0D 1/4 c. sliced scallions%0D 1 T. Dijon mustard%0D 1 t. grated lemon zest%0D 1 T. lemon juice%0D a handful of minced fresh parsley%0D %0D Mash sardines, mix in remaining ingredients. Serve on whole grain bread with Dijon mustard and tomato slices. Delish.

by Feeling goodreply 6203/14/2011

I am vomiting profusely all over my keyboard from this thread.

by Feeling goodreply 6303/14/2011

ugh!

by Feeling goodreply 6403/14/2011

I've never had a sardine, but I love Abba brand herring in mustard sauce! IKEA always has the best price on it.

by Feeling goodreply 6503/14/2011

thanks R46, I'm going to have to get some now. I will try the eat the bones but not sure I can get over that!

by Feeling goodreply 6603/14/2011

If you think canned sardines are good, you should try grilled or fried fresh sardines - most anyone would love them.

And, we should be eating smaller fish - less mercury and not over-fished.

by Feeling goodreply 6703/14/2011

Please report back, R27 -- I never get to say "I told you so!"

by Feeling goodreply 6803/14/2011

My mother made them for our lunch as a kid, softened butter, fresh lemon juice, smash them up in a bowl and thinly spread on fresh (homemade) bread.%0D %0D So good, she served them with tomato soup.

by Feeling goodreply 6903/14/2011

will do R46/68. I'm really hoping it works out cuz i'm lazy and don't really want to de-bone them :)%0D %0D While we're here do you have recipes/eating suggestions to add?

by Feeling goodreply 7003/14/2011

Has anyone tried baking or frying them? I'm wondering if you can make a hot meal out of them.

by Feeling goodreply 7103/14/2011

They're often served with pasta and breadcrumbs--look up a Sicilian specialty called pasta con sarde. It's delicious and they lose a lot of their "fishiness" when cooked.

by Feeling goodreply 7203/14/2011

Yum! My favorite way to eat them (I get the water packed sardines) is with a dipping sauce made of equal portions Miracle Whip and Heinz catchup.

by Feeling goodreply 7303/14/2011

Thanks R72. That's sounds really good. I'm going to try it.

by Feeling goodreply 7403/14/2011

Cool, R71. Make your own breadcrumbs, don't use commercial ones, that makes all the difference. %0D %0D R73, that sounds pretty good. My mother used to serve a pink cocktail sauce with shrimp that was made out of equal parts mayo, ketchup and sour cream. I'll try that.

by Feeling goodreply 7503/14/2011

[quote]They're often served with pasta and breadcrumbs%0D %0D I wish I thought about that.

by Feeling goodreply 7603/14/2011

R13, I love you.

by Feeling goodreply 7703/14/2011

R69, my mother had a similar recipe, but she used cream cheese instead of butter. I guess the cholesterol offsets all those good Omega-3s, but it sure tastes yummy.

by Feeling goodreply 7803/14/2011

We always had the sardines in tomato sauce and mom would chop up some onion, a bit more tomato and a little bit of jalapeno.

Delish on saltines!

by Feeling goodreply 7903/14/2011

I wonder if that's true R78. I thought I remembered reading somewhere that if you mix bad fats with high omega 3 fish you lose the benefit of the omega 3. Now I love sardines slathered with mayo on the bread and I love tuna with mayo or I might eat something with cheese at the same time as fish. %0D %0D Am I ruining the omega 3 by eating fats (other than olive oil) with it? %0D %0D I also heard (I think on Dr. Oz) that you shouldn't mix calcium with omega 3, in food or in pills.%0D %0D I've tried Googling to look for the answer and went to Dr. Oz's site but I can't find it. %0D %0D Does anyone one if either fats or calcium undoes the good of omega 3?%0D

by Feeling goodreply 8003/14/2011

I prefer Mackerel, but Sardines are good. I used to love how my grandmother made them, but no one has the recipe. She made them into some kind of paste and put them on baguettes, it was really yummy.

by Feeling goodreply 8103/15/2011

bump for fish

by Feeling goodreply 8203/15/2011

Always wanted to try them fried, they looks so tasty.

by Feeling goodreply 8303/15/2011

I had a boyfriend in the '70s who used to chant "pure protein, pure protein!" as he ejaculated in my mouth.

by Feeling goodreply 8403/15/2011

John West Mackerel Fillets in Brine%0D %0D :) :)

by Feeling goodreply 8503/15/2011

[quote]Just the simple, perfect tiny ones [bold]in olive or other good oil.[/bold]

[quote]So inexpensive and only 150 calories per serving - [bold]all protein.[/bold]

by Feeling goodreply 8603/15/2011

Hon, if you're worried about the two tablespoons of oil in a tin of sardines then just go on back to eating your 100 calorie packs of Goldfish. We won't judge you.

by Feeling goodreply 8703/15/2011

Sorry I don't eat anything that is presented to me on a plate with a head and a tail. Ewwwww! But bon apetit mon vieux.

by Feeling goodreply 8803/15/2011

not only are the head and tail left on, but I took a bite of one once and the colon was left dangling out of my mouth. Never fucking agan.

by Feeling goodreply 8903/15/2011

Hey, I've eaten my first can of sardines!%0D %0D They were packed in spring water and had no added salt. I put them on whole wheat melba toast with a bit of dijon, slivered red onion, salt & pepper (per the suggestions here).%0D They were delicious and filling.%0D %0D Thanks for introducing me to a new healthy food!

by Feeling goodreply 9003/15/2011

That is great. You did your body good today.

by Feeling goodreply 9103/15/2011

Onion sounds good -- so do radishes. I usually eat green onions &/or radishes with sandwiches instead of potato chips, nice & crunchy but much healthier. Why not slice them & add them to the sandwich -- I'll try it.

by Feeling goodreply 9203/15/2011

Congratulations, R90. I'm very happy for you.

by Feeling goodreply 9303/15/2011

R90, eating sardines packed in water and bragging you've had sardines for the first time is like humping a fleshlight and claiming you've lost your virginity.

Oil-packed sardines are the only acceptable product, unless you are catching your own or buying them from the nice fishermen off the docks in Cagliari.

by Feeling goodreply 9403/15/2011

I suspect R94 is never invited to parties but can't figure out why.

by Feeling goodreply 9503/15/2011

-

by Feeling goodreply 9603/18/2011

Love the briny goodness.%0D %0D Anyone tried octopus or baby calamari in a tin? I see it a lot at spanish grocery. Kind of scared to try that one.

by Feeling goodreply 9703/18/2011

R97, they're a bit chewy. I love them but I can understand why some folks might not like the texture.

by Feeling goodreply 9803/18/2011

I give them to my dog.

by Feeling goodreply 9903/18/2011

The calcium in sardines is especially good - better than supplements or dairy products. Men get osteoporosis too - I believe 10% of them develop it if they live to 70 or 80 - oh something like that. But nobody ever talks about it.

by Feeling goodreply 10003/18/2011

When has anyone seen a thread on DL with barely one snarky response? I'm wondering if this thread is brought to you by the Sardine Manufacturers Association?

(BTW- I eat sardines all the time)

by Feeling goodreply 10103/18/2011

Either the Sardine Packers Association or we're all lesbians.

by Feeling goodreply 10203/18/2011

Well, bitches, I saw some sardines when I was out shopping and, thanks to you lot, I bought two tins packed in sunflower oil. They were fucking delicious! So thank you, Datalounge Sardine Trolls.

by Feeling goodreply 10303/27/2011

Welcome to the club, R103.

by Feeling goodreply 10403/27/2011

I thought I'd share my tasty, quick sardine dinner sandwich with the datalounge sardine lovers.%0D %0D Use whole wheat bread and layer with a sliced hardboiled egg, sardines, paper thin slices of red onion and red pepper, black olives and salt and pepper. %0D %0D Glass of red wine, fruit for dessert. I couldn't be happier.

by Feeling goodreply 10503/27/2011

Walgreen's has Chicken of the Sea sardines on sale this week. Now I've never eaten sardines or kippers. My father loved the stuff, but I couldn't stand the way the house stank when he snacked on these while watching sports. Is this a decent brand to try, or should I start with something better?

by Feeling goodreply 10603/27/2011

I have started eating them just recently. Love them. I find them very filling. Must be the protein.

by Feeling goodreply 10710/19/2011

I thought of this thread while reading the make a pointless announcement thread or whatever. Did you too? Glad you bumped it. I loved it and will enjoy re-reading.

by Feeling goodreply 10810/19/2011

They're good for you EXCEPT the salt (in the tinned variety) is way too much to make a daily meal of them.

Love them on crackers with a splash of Tobasco and fresh pepper (the plain ones or 'spicy' kind).

Love them on pizzas now, too.

by Feeling goodreply 10910/19/2011

[quote]They're good for you EXCEPT the salt (in the tinned variety) is way too much to make a daily meal of them.

It's just 200 mg of sodium. And I'm talking salted sardines. I am very sensitive to salt in food and I can't even taste it in canned sardines.

I had some today with a small drizzle of lemon juice. Yum!

by Feeling goodreply 11010/22/2011

Some fish and oysters are really gross because of the oil they come in. What types should I get without the gross tasting oil?

by Feeling goodreply 11110/22/2011

I get my canned sardines in mineral water, which is still a little oily from the fish oils. I add a little bit of olive oil or lemon juice once they're on my plate.

by Feeling goodreply 11210/22/2011

It saddens me a little that this thread was started on 3/11. Post Fukushima, I hope you all are staying away from Pacific origin fish. Nothing has been contained yet.

by Feeling goodreply 11310/22/2011

Thanks, R112.

by Feeling goodreply 11410/22/2011

You're welcome, R111.

by Feeling goodreply 11510/22/2011

R113, I don't think they've been avoiding those fish. That would explain the behavior of many people on DL, don't you think?

by Feeling goodreply 11610/22/2011

I like Mackrel in a tin packed with olive oil and chili pepper

by Feeling goodreply 11710/22/2011

I like to chop up some tomatoes into large chunks, add fresh basil, some minced garlic, sardines, olive oil and vinegar, and then put on a good crusty bread and let sit for an hour at room temperature. Heaven.

by Feeling goodreply 11810/22/2011

"My favorite used to be Underwood brand - especially the ones packed in tomato sauce. It's been so long since I've had them, though that I'm not even sure if they're still around"

YES! Underwood sardines were DIVINE! I LOVED the mustard sauce ones! I haven't seen Underwood in years. Sardines on crackers is a yummy quick snack. Or, I've been known to make a sardine sandwich--on a nice crusty roll with some tomatoes and lettuce! I've been eating the Reese's boneless gourmet ones, but sometimes if money is tight, I buy King Hakkon Of Norway or whatever they're called. I like kippered herring on toast, also!

by Feeling goodreply 11910/22/2011

LOL @ Cheryl's pussy -

I'm the OP of this thread and I still fucking LOVE sardines! Trader Joes' has my current favorite - little to no salt, just packed in olive oil and boneless. I don't mind the bones in some brands but these were just right.

I didn't have any crusty bread, which makes the best vehicle for sardines, so I used two plain rice cakes (just 35 calories, baby) and smeared some hummus on them, then topped with the fish.

Really tasty!

by Feeling goodreply 12010/22/2011

I'd like to know where I can by them raw, so that I can pan-fry them.

by Feeling goodreply 12110/23/2011

Man....there are sardines...and then...there are UNDERWOOD SARDINES...in a class, all by themselves.....and the mustard ones are most definately the best on the market.....Remember the yellow celophane wrapper??????

by Feeling goodreply 12202/18/2013

Alton Brown takes sardines and mashes them up with avocados and eats in on toast or crackers. I tried it and it was amazing!

by Feeling goodreply 12303/19/2013

TJ's smoked trout is DELISH!

by Feeling goodreply 12403/19/2013

Where can I get it, r124?

I love sardines, smoked herring, and anchovies(mostly in salads). All wonderful cheap, omega 3 rich proteins.

I've tried the mackeral, but it was completely disgusting. I wouldn't feed it to my cat.

A restaurant close by has a wonderful broiled rainbow trout, but I've never seen smoked trout in a grocery store.

by Feeling goodreply 12503/19/2013

I was on a vegan diet and recently added only sardines every other day and I cannot believe how much better I feel! I think these fish are a miracle food. Either that or I was seriously malnourished.

by Feeling goodreply 12603/19/2013

TJ's=Trader Joe's

by Feeling goodreply 12703/19/2013

Shoot, I don't have a Trader Joe's.

Publix and Kroger is the best I got.

by Feeling goodreply 12803/19/2013

You are blessed to have Publix.

by Feeling goodreply 12903/19/2013

I love the skinless and boneless variety packed in olive oil from Trader Jones. I make pasta con sarde- red sauce, lots of crushed red pepper, olive oil from the can, salt and black pepper, chopped prunes (!) and capers. Delish.

by Feeling goodreply 13003/20/2013

Hippie) you smoke that?

Granny) We all smoke crawdads

Hippie) Can you show me how to smoke them?

Granny) Sure, but first you got to get me a little pot.

by Feeling goodreply 13103/20/2013

I love to finish a can of sardines and then masturbate with the leftover oil.

by Feeling goodreply 13203/20/2013

Well that explains a lot Cheryl, errr R132.

by Feeling goodreply 13303/20/2013

I loved that episode, r131!

That's where I got one of my favorite lines about "dropping pots and shooting LBJ!"

by Feeling goodreply 13403/20/2013

I saw this thread last night and decided to check out the sardines when I went to get groceries today. I pretty much saw the brands mentioned in the responses and ended up getting Brunswick Sardines in Mustard & Dill Sauce. I even bought Triscuits mustard and dill flavored to put them on.

The problem: I can't bring myself to open the tin. I heard they smell strong (stink) and I'm still not sure what to do about the whole sardine.

Is the head, eyes, etc. still on them? If so, do I cut off the head and eat or am I just supposed to eat the entire thing? Chewing an eyeball is hard to imagine.

I'm not opening these things until I get some answers.

by Feeling goodreply 13503/20/2013

I forgot to link this sardine-avocado sandwich recipe. It looks good.

by Feeling goodreply 13603/20/2013

Sardines, sweet butter and a bit of spring onion on good bread with a glass of white wine.

by Feeling goodreply 13703/20/2013

Sardines contain less mercury than tuna because they are lower down on the food chain. The skinless and boneless ones are extra yummy!

by Feeling goodreply 13803/20/2013

THE best sardines back in the day were Underwood in mustard sauce. I haven't sen those in years. Reese's are pretty good,too. King Of Norway ( or whatever) aren't too bad, either. Sardines on crackers--YUM!

I also like kippers on toast. Hey--I'm Scottish & Irish so it's in the genes!

by Feeling goodreply 13903/20/2013

Sardines are one of the most nutritious foods a person can eat. And a sardine avocado sandwich is completely palatable. They smell very strong when you open the can but they taste better than they smell.

by Feeling goodreply 14003/24/2013

[r135] dump them in a bowl and mash them up into a paste. They mash up very easily.

Also....boneless don't have the same amount of calcium so get the ones with bones -- the bones mash up too they are that soft.

by Feeling goodreply 14103/24/2013

My mom used to make my dad go outside to eat them. I was always grossed out by them.

I've been vegetarian for about a decade but have thought about adding fish, occasionally. I tried a little salmon a while back and couldn't take the taste or texture. I don't think I could handle something where I had to eat the bones and THE EYES too! ((Shudder)))

But some of y'all's sandwiches sound yummy...minus the fishies!

by Feeling goodreply 14203/24/2013

Headless bodies, r135. Just headless bodies.

Open, plate, throw can in the outside trash.

Why buy skinless? Most of the Omega 3s are in the skin!

by Feeling goodreply 14303/24/2013

I do have an Aldi store.

Someone on another thread said they sometimes sell the same or similar products as Trader Joe's.

Is that true? All I see is off brand names that I'm scared to try.

I will buy some produce, but that's it.

by Feeling goodreply 14403/26/2013

Alton Brown has a really yummy recipe for sardines on toast. Avacoado, lemons zest, salt peper. simple & delicious and cheap.

He did this in response to all the questions about how he lost weight.

by Feeling goodreply 14503/26/2013

Try the little striped ones, Mum--they're really delish!

by Feeling goodreply 14603/26/2013

At first I thought you said you love fucking sardines.

by Feeling goodreply 14703/26/2013

I was just going to post a thread asking about sardines! Thanks for bumping this one. I am resolved to try my first sardine tomorrow.

by Feeling goodreply 14803/26/2013

great in pasta sauces

by Feeling goodreply 14903/26/2013

OP here. Love the avocado idea. Nice!

by Feeling goodreply 15003/26/2013

I contributed to this thread before, but I'm bumping it for an update.

I had some lightly smoked sardines "a la Mexicana". I opened up the tin can and rolled up the sardines in corn tortillas with lemon, salt, cilantro and hot sauce.

My mouth is watering now thinking about i.

by Feeling goodreply 15105/22/2013

Some Whole Foods have fresh sardines R121 - ask them to take the bones out for you (it's a pain to do yourself).

Lately I've been mashing the canned ones up with avocado and a dash of balsamic vinegar, then rolling them in a romaine leaf like a fabulous burrito!!!

by Feeling goodreply 15205/22/2013
Need more help? Click Here.