Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Remember Jeny Jones, Jonathan Schmitz & Scott Amedure?

On March 6, 1995, Jonathan Schmitz and Scott Amedure taped a Jenny Jones show about secret crushes. %0D %0D Schmitz expected his admirer to be a woman, not his gay neighbor. When Schmitz found Amedure, a 32-year-old unemployed gay man, telling a television audience about a fantasy that involved Schmitz, some whipped cream, strawberries and champagne, he became embarrassed and, his lawyers said, enraged.%0D %0D Three days after the taping, on March 9, 1995, Schmitz received an anonymous, sexually suggestive note on his doorstep and assumed it came from Amedure. Schmitz purchased a 12-gauge shotgun, went to Amedure's mobile home and fired two shots at close range into Amedure's chest. A few minutes later, Schmitz dialled 911 from a pay phone at a gas station near his sister's house. He said, "I just walked in the room and killed him." %0D %0D Schmitz was later convicted of second-degree murder. Although the conviction was overturned, Schmitz was again found guilty in a second trial and sentenced to 25 to 50 years in prison.

by Anonymousreply 7211/11/2013

In a civil suit, a jury found the Jenny Jones show liable for the murder and awarded the Amedure family $25 million.%0D

by Anonymousreply 103/06/2011

Jeny should be doing time in the big house too!

by Anonymousreply 303/06/2011

I got tickets for Jenny Jones less than year after that murder. I was living in Michigan at the time, and the person whom I called for the tix was very happy to hear that Michiganders were coming to see JJ. it's like they thought the whole state would've been alienated by the crime.

by Anonymousreply 403/06/2011

Jenny later said she and her show did NOTHING wrong, and had nothing to apoligize about. In fact they never apologized to the family.

by Anonymousreply 503/06/2011

During his 15 years in prison you have to wonder if Schmitz had any instances of a man going up into the man.

by Anonymousreply 603/06/2011

Jenny Jones should have went to jail too.

by Anonymousreply 703/06/2011

He looks awful now, but with a new haircut and shaved face, he would look decent.

by Anonymousreply 803/06/2011

[quote]He looks awful now,%0D %0D That's an understatement. In the photo at r2, he looks totally unhinged and spooky.

by Anonymousreply 903/07/2011

I really don't think Jenny Jones or the show are to blame. The reasons for Jonathan killing Scott were shame-based, but not due to the appearance on Jenny Jones.

Shortly after the show, Scott left a "suggestive" note at Jonathan's home. This obviously triggered something in Jonathan and he went out and purchased a gun. Something not made public was the fact that Jonathan then went to Scott's home where the two had " a sexual encounter", he then went to his car and came back inside and killed Scott. Jonathan made mention of the sexual encounter, but later made no mention of it in his official confession.

by Anonymousreply 1003/07/2011

WEHT Jenny Jones?

by Anonymousreply 1103/07/2011

You're blaming Jenny Jones??! You're supporting the "gay panic" excuse? This is what they used in the Matthew Sheppard trial.

by Anonymousreply 1203/07/2011

really r10? I didn't know that sopmething actually happened between the two. I figured this Schmitz guy had to be deeply closeted and sexually repressed about hsi true feelings for men to want to get a gun and shoot an admirer, but I never heard of anything happening between the two

by Anonymousreply 1303/07/2011

It was a terrible senseless tragedy but to blame Jenny Jones was just so misguided. Schmitz was informed prior to the taping that the "crush" could be male or female and he still agreed to appear. Jenny later said she deeply regreted not contacting the Amedure family and expressing her condolences but that the show's lawyers forbid it.

by Anonymousreply 1403/07/2011

by Anonymousreply 1503/07/2011

How is Jones to blame? How were they to know Schmitz would become an insane murderer?

Jenny had done plenty of "ambush crush" shows just like this. It was a standard daytime trash tv motif at the time.

Of course, after this event, no other show would ever do an ambush like this again.

by Anonymousreply 1603/07/2011

[quote]How is Jones to blame? How were they to know Schmitz would become an insane murderer?

They weren't honest with the killer-to-be. They didn't tell him his secret crush was a man. Anyone with an ounce of common sense knows there's a difference between having a girl admit her lust for a guy on TV and having another guy do it. They didn't tell him because they knew he wouldn't appear on their show if they did.

They deliberately set up this man for humiliation on national television. He felt like his life was going to be ruined once that show aired. They were willing to ruin his life for years after just for one day's ratings for themselves. Of course he deserved to be imprisoned for life for the killing but the blind rage was the result of their unfair manipulation. Jones' show should have been canceled at once.

by Anonymousreply 1703/07/2011

R17 is right. The HBO show "America Undercover" did an episode on Talk Shows, (pre-Jerry Springer explosion), and this was one of the cases they focused on. %0D %0D They even plied the guy with liquor backstage to "calm him down" because they knew that he might not take the truth that well.%0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1803/07/2011

They wanted ratings gold, so they made the ambush as huge and embarrassing as possible. I read that they encouraged the homophobe to think it was a girl he had a crush on, to convince him to come. That either they suggested or he went out of his way to get a new suit and get a haircut. He thought he was going to meet someone who would be his wife.

I hope the homophobe dies in jail (rather than gets out into society, ever), and I think he's lower than pond scum... but yeah, the show set him up, hoping for a big, exciting, miserable humiliation. They knew perfectly well he wasn't open to it being 'either a guy or a girl' and they exploited that in him.

They deserved to be punished (or taken off the air, if only for reasons of good taste), but I'm against financial punitive damage awards, as it encourages lawsuits.

by Anonymousreply 1903/07/2011

"Jenny%E2%80%99s biography, Jenny Jones: My Story was published in 1997 with 100% of Jenny%E2%80%99s profits going to breast cancer research. In 2006, her cookbook, Look Good, Feel Great was published and again, Jenny donated 100% of her profits to breast cancer research at City of Hope.

Most recently, Jones established "Jenny's Heroes," a program where during 2008, through The Jenny Jones Foundation, she committed a million dollars of her own money to be given to individuals who use it to improve their communities. "What these heroes have accomplished is so much more than I expected and is so rewarding," says Jones, "that I have to continue. Considering the current economic crisis, I can't stop now." In 2009, Jones committed another million dollars for grants to people who submit the best ideas on how they would use the funds to make a difference in others' lives. In 2010 Jones said, "Once the second million is gone, I plan to add another million and keep going. This will be my legacy." Thousands of people continue to apply online and Jones reads every application herself, personally selecting the final recipient of each grant. "There's no better feeling than giving back to everyday people and seeing how much good is being done because of my good fortune," says Jones. "I hope I can do this forever."

Jenny Jones resides in Los Angeles with her companion of over 25 years."

by Anonymousreply 2003/07/2011

Jones has an active blog as well, with a post on Mar 6 re: Charlie Sheen.

by Anonymousreply 2203/07/2011

[quote]"There's no better feeling than giving back to everyday people and seeing how much good is being done because of my good fortune," says Jones. "I hope I can do this forever."

No matter how many millions of dollars she spreads around, she and her show destroyed two lives and the lives of two families. No amount of money can undo that.

by Anonymousreply 2303/07/2011

Jenny Jones said she didn't do anything wrong, and she sleeps quite well at night knowing that.

by Anonymousreply 2403/07/2011

The killer didn't freak out at the taping or even immediately after. As far as the show knew, everything was (and would be) hunky dory after taping wrapped. Therefore, it wasn't the show/televised humiliation that set the killer off--it was the suggestive note that he received later. Maybe to the killer it was a combination of factors, but the show wasn't the only factor that drove him to shoot Scott.%0D %0D Unless there's evidence that the show lied to the killer or somehow had evidence that he was unhinged, I don't see how the show can be blamed.

by Anonymousreply 2503/07/2011

I live in Michigan and don't recall ever hearing that Schmitz and Amedure had a sexual encounter; I'm not sure how they could have (or why they would have) kept that out of court. But I do remember rumors that Schmitz was conflicted about his sexuality all along. One local paper even printed a letter to the editor that mentioned Schmitz was known for visiting gay bars.%0D %0D Regarding the note that was left for Schmitz, I thought they never proved who left it...but it was rumored that the girl who set the whole thing up was the person who wrote it -- just to stir up trouble.

by Anonymousreply 2603/07/2011

Amedure didn't deserve to die at all, but he had terribly bad judgement. He put one of those blinking construction lights on Schmitz's door step with a note saying "If you want to turn this off, you have to use your tool." Schmitz responded by buying a shotgun and going to Amedure's house. Amedure tried to protect himself by holding a wicker chair in front of him. Wicker, for God's sake.

The man had terrible judgement.

by Anonymousreply 2703/07/2011

[quote] Jenny Jones resides in Los Angeles with her companion of over 25 years."

Is Jenny a lesbian?

by Anonymousreply 2903/08/2011

I dont think the show was responsible either.

by Anonymousreply 3003/08/2011

Has Jones ever really commented? I saw the trial live on "Court TV" and Jones came across as deceptive and fearful. She also said that her prepared statement that she read on the show was written for her.

The incident destroyed her show and also destroyed Jones' career.

by Anonymousreply 3103/08/2011

[quote]Jenny Jones resides in Los Angeles with her companion of over 25 years

It's a tortoise.

by Anonymousreply 3203/08/2011

January Jones is a bitch from hell.

by Anonymousreply 3303/08/2011

I thought that Amedure and Schmitz had actually had sex at one point - just a blow job - maybe afterwards?

by Anonymousreply 3403/08/2011

WEHT Jenny Jones???

by Anonymousreply 3503/08/2011

Some of you guys are crazy. The show is in no way responsible for some nut's actions. They could maybe have been sued by Schmitz for "emotional distress" but I'm pretty sure the producers make all guests sign an air-tight liable waiver for such things.

The type of guy who would commit cold blooded murder like this must of have underlying mental issues to begin with.

Scott Amedure was a fucking moron for leaving that note on Schmitz' doorstep but he didn't deserve a shotgun shell in the chest for it.

Classic case of homophobia/"gay panic".

by Anonymousreply 3603/08/2011

There's no proof Amedure left the note. It was probably left by one of Schmitz's friends as a gag.

by Anonymousreply 3703/08/2011

Amedure was definitely guilty of bad taste, though. To give up his life for this toad?

by Anonymousreply 3803/08/2011

Ugly even when young.

by Anonymousreply 3903/08/2011

The fag hag of Amedure said she convinced the guys to go on the show because of the free trip to Hollywood, spending money, and a few days in a fancy hotel. Where is she now?

by Anonymousreply 4003/08/2011

R29 & R35 = English not their native language?

by Anonymousreply 4103/08/2011

Jenny's blog is pretty funny.

by Anonymousreply 4203/08/2011

Actually R31 it made the show more popular.

by Anonymousreply 4303/08/2011

Schmitz looks like a ' tard

by Anonymousreply 4403/08/2011

Amedure's fag hag was Donna Riley. She's the one who introduced them initially.

by Anonymousreply 4503/08/2011

by Anonymousreply 4603/08/2011

So let me get this straight. Some of you feel that the Jones Show was not responsible because the killer was a nut job?

So lets say I go around handing out guns without doing background checks or accepting blood donations without screening or handing out my sisters address to any guy I see that I think she might like, then I am not responsible for any harm coming from my actions.

If you are going to do a humiliation show, then you really ought to check that you are dealing with stable people.

by Anonymousreply 4703/08/2011

It was a sleazy show that pulled a dirty trick. But why should anyone have been surprised by that? "Jenny Jones" was that type of show. %0D %0D Schmitz had a history of mental illness and substance abuse, but it's not uncommon for guests on shows like this to have dark secrets. The shows who feature people like this never do any investigating beforehand of any potential dangers. "How To Marry A Millionare" did essentially the same thing: the "millionare" was was not filthy rich and he had had a history of violence against women. %0D %0D I guess it's like this: the network figures anyone who goes on trashy tv shows knows what they're getting into. %0D %0D I don't think the show is responsible for the murder. Nobody could have foreseen what was going to happen.%0D %0D What set the whole thing in motion was the note. If Amedure did indeed send it then he dug his own grave. It was a very stupid thing to do.%0D %0D Amedure's family sued and won the ruling; the show was ordered to pay $25 million, but that decision was later overturned by the Michigan appellate court because the producers were not responsible for what happened to the guests after their appearance on the show.

by Anonymousreply 4803/09/2011

The show was taped in Chicago, not Hollywood. And the threesome lived in the Detroit area, so the inducement was a mere trip to Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 4903/09/2011

R43, that's not true. The show got a ton of unwanted publicity, sponsors bailed and JJ was obviously hesitant about going back to their bread and butter, which was the ambush. Ratings continued to drop but after the verdict was rendered, the show had its worst ratings ever and the program was canceled two years after.

by Anonymousreply 5003/09/2011

This thread, like this site is crawling with females who troll here but are secretly disgusted by gay men.

Notice all the covert, not-so-thinly veiled defense of both Jones and the killer.

THIS is what happens when Mediapolis decides they simply don't give a flying fuck about the gay community and refuse to keep the site clean of the straight women who've destroyed it.

by Anonymousreply 5103/09/2011

Is Jenny the one whose tits turned to stone?

by Anonymousreply 5203/09/2011

Spot on, r51. Frausows in every fucking thread. Oh, and you and I need to get ready to be banned.

by Anonymousreply 5303/09/2011

I remember seeing the entire unaired episode during the trial. The Schmitz/Amedure segment was midway through the show. The same-sex crushes that were featured earlier indeed seemed cruel, mean-spirited. The Schmitz/Amedure segment didn't. That surprised me. When the secret was revealed Schmitz, he said "You lied to me" but unlike the printed descriptions of it, it was said in a laughing, punked manner. At the end of the sequence, he told an anecdote, I forgot about what, but it certainly didn't suggest a man who was uncomfortable and humiliated with the ambush, at the time. The problems reportedly started after he began thinking about the incident when he returned home.

Of course, they were all exploited by the producers, who said on the stand that they, essentially, didn't give a shit about anyone who appeared on their show. They got a trip to Chicago, a room at a Ramada Inn and instant fame.

by Anonymousreply 5403/09/2011

I wonder if Amedure tried to (or succeeded?) rape Schmitz? That would explain the rage.

by Anonymousreply 5503/09/2011

"I don't think the show is responsible for the murder. Nobody could have foreseen what was going to happen."%0D %0D Then why did they give the guy liquor to "relax him" before bringing him out?%0D %0D Unaware, my ass. They knew that the guy wasn't going to take the news well, but all they were concerned about were ratings.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 5603/10/2011

r49, How ya gonna keep 'em in a Michigan trailer park after they've seen the Toddlin' town.

by Anonymousreply 5703/11/2011

I too, recalled the part of about the sexual encounter, but I remember it differently than the first post that mentioned it. As I recall, everything seemed fine after the taping, and the two men even went out together to a bar after they got home. One of Amedure's friends later said that he told her that something sexual happened between them after the bar drinking (didn't really specify by bj was implied). Then the joke happened a few days later, then the murder.

by Anonymousreply 5803/11/2011

I think Jones was amazing at keeping order on her show as evidenced by this clip.

by Anonymousreply 5903/11/2011

"Unaware, my ass. They knew that the guy wasn't going to take the news well, but all they were concerned about were ratings."%0D %0D They weren't psychics. Maybe they believed his reaction would make good sleazy tv, but I don't think anybody on that show thought: "hmm..this guy is really fucked up. He's a potential murderer. But let's have him on the show anyway because it'll mean good ratings." %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6003/11/2011

"The problems reportedly started after he began thinking about the incident when he returned home."%0D %0D What happened was that all his social milieu started making fun of him.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6103/11/2011

"Jenny Jones should have went to jail too."

I agree Jenny Jones is a Fckng Btch!

by Anonymousreply 6201/30/2013

Jenny Jones said if Jonathan Schmitz had a problem with it why did he go out drinking with Scott Amedure right after the show?

by Anonymousreply 6301/30/2013

Seems to me a big part of the problem was that Schmitz was able to just go out and buy a gun. As easy as that. Apparently upset: what was he going to do with that gun? Stir cake batter? This is what we non- Americans cannot understand, and please don't ram your second amendment down my throat !

by Anonymousreply 6401/30/2013

Did this episode even make it to air? I thought it hadn't.

by Anonymousreply 6501/30/2013

Oh boy.

by Anonymousreply 6601/30/2013

[quote]Jenny later said she and her show did NOTHING wrong, and had nothing to apoligize about. In fact they never apologized to the family.

Jenny Jones was VERY distraught over this, and was vocal about that. You're an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 6701/30/2013

[quote]Jenny Jones was VERY distraught over this, and was vocal about that.

How could she not be VERY distraught? She knew, immediately, that she would be hauled into court over this. She does an outstanding job of being publicly distraught.

by Anonymousreply 6801/30/2013

They need to bring back this show for one special episode featuring Manti and his "admirer."

by Anonymousreply 6901/30/2013

Today Maury had secret crushes!

by Anonymousreply 7001/30/2013

So someone on this thread is saying Jenny Jones is a Lezbo and on that blog in the link they won't say, girlfriend, wife, but companion when they indicate who she shares her life with? So another wards she doesn't want her private life revealed but its OK for other lives to be exposed and destroyed? What a hypocrite!

by Anonymousreply 7101/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!