Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Amy Adams as Janis Joplin

Fourth Oscar nomination. First win.

by Anonymousreply 10411/10/2012

As much as I like Amy it's hard to see her in this role but who knows. There is a physical resemblance.

by Anonymousreply 103/05/2011

Bull shit. If this is true, it'll be her "Mommie Dearest".

by Anonymousreply 203/05/2011

I remember when they were going to make this movie with Renee Zellweger.

I just don't see Amy in the part though. She's, I don't know, too nice, too innocent and her speaking voice is way too high. She's just not raw enough.

by Anonymousreply 303/05/2011

I don't think that's credible casting even if it were just for an SNL skit.

by Anonymousreply 403/05/2011

Did you see The Fighter, R3?

Oh, and she's AN ACTRESS. Their job is to become someone else.

Thank god you people don't run a studio, it would be in crisis mode within a week.

by Anonymousreply 503/05/2011

Calm down R5. Yes she's an ACTRESS, but not every actress is suited to every role and I don't think Adams is suited to be Janis.

by Anonymousreply 603/05/2011

She's too pretty to play Janis.

by Anonymousreply 703/05/2011

been there, done that

by Anonymousreply 803/05/2011

At 35, Adams is too old to play Joplin, who died at 27.

by Anonymousreply 903/05/2011

I love Amy Adams, but they should get that girl who came in second on American Idol last year (can't think of her name) to play Janis Joplin.

by Anonymousreply 1003/05/2011

[quote]I remember when they were going to make this movie with Renee Zellweger.%0D %0D I remember when they were doing it with Lily Taylor. They were also doing one with Melissa Etheridge at the same time. Both failed.

by Anonymousreply 1103/05/2011

I hope they include Janis Jopler's iconic "another little piece of my lung".

by Anonymousreply 1203/05/2011

Crystal Bowersox, R10, vanilla white trash? eh, no

Have you seen any pictures of her toward the end, R9? She looked ten years older than she was.

I can't see Adams having the spirit to pull it off. She's too meh.

Regardless of the actor's skill here, I think whomever is cast will need a strong personality.

I wish Adele was older; she has the voice.

by Anonymousreply 1303/05/2011

And then they were going to make it with Pink, etc, etc.

What exactly makes Hollywood think the average under-25 year old moviegoer has any interest in a movie about this woman? I know this will outrage the Boomers, but no one that age has any idea who this woman is.

by Anonymousreply 1403/05/2011

LOVED her in Enchanted!%0D %0D One of the best scenes at link.

by Anonymousreply 1503/05/2011

I've read a couple of bios over the years, & I find the story fascinating. If the script is any good, the recognition factor won't matter.

I think anyone (especially gays) could relate to being a free spirit stuck in a Texas hick town.

She was also a strong, talented woman who didn't fit the folk singer profile (Baez, Mitchell) of most other singers.

She also had a complicated personality behind the scenes.

by Anonymousreply 1603/05/2011

There has been talk about this bio since forever.I'll believe it when I actually see it.R9,Amy Adams might be 36 but she's a young looking 36 and God knows Janis was a rough looking 27 so I don't think Adams age poses a problem here.

by Anonymousreply 1703/06/2011

This so ironic--for once Renee Zellweger would have looked the part better than a pretty actress.

by Anonymousreply 1803/06/2011

She is looks damn good for 36. But she is a bland actress just taking advantage of her moment.

by Anonymousreply 1903/06/2011

I love Adams, but she's just too damn pretty for the role. Joplin's homeliness shaped her life experience and the choices she made. A pretty Joplin would have been a completely different person! %0D %0D Adams's only hope is to do what Charlize Theron did in "Monster", and become genuinely unattractive. But wouldn't it be simpler to just hire a plainer actress?%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 2003/06/2011

R20 must be Amy Adams.

by Anonymousreply 2103/06/2011

Amy Adams is pretty. Pretty rather than beautiful, but definitely pretty.

by Anonymousreply 2203/06/2011

And Janis Joplin looked like a Troll Doll.

by Anonymousreply 2303/06/2011

Sorry Amy. The Oscar is already taken. At least Bette Midler looked the part.

by Anonymousreply 2403/06/2011

"At 35, Adams is too old to play Joplin, who died at 27."

Janis was hard living, she drank like a fish and had a heroin problem, she looked 47 when she died.

"She was also a strong, talented woman who didn't fit the folk singer profile (Baez, Mitchell) of most other singers."

Janis was NEVER in the folk singer category, she was basically a white blues singer who was backed by a rock band. Janis cited one of her influences as being Bessie Smith, a black blues singer.

by Anonymousreply 2503/06/2011

There actually is an actress who looks a lot like Joplin, her name escapes me. She hasn't acted in years and is hardly well known, well not to today's young audiences.

She always played a down on her luck character. She might have even starred in early Lifetime movies.

Ironically, she has become a singer. It's really driving me crazy that I can't remember her name. She had the same beady eyes as Janis and a similar nose. I'd always comment to friends that she'd be perfect to play Janis Joplin.

by Anonymousreply 2603/06/2011

If Charlize, one of the great screen beauties, can play Monster on a low budget, the less pretty Adams on a big budget for makeup can certainly ugly up to play Janice.

by Anonymousreply 2703/06/2011

And I think if she does it well it will be her Oscar win. She's approaching Glenn/Moore territory with no wins and numerous nominations.

by Anonymousreply 2803/06/2011

Without the talent of either Glenn or Julianne.

by Anonymousreply 2903/06/2011

This movie will never, ever get made. At least not for the big screen. Maybe it has a place on cable.

BTW, whatever happened to the Dusty Springfield biopic for TV? A few years back there was a lot of talk about it: it was in pre-production with Kristen Chenoweth (!) playing Dusty. Then... nothing.

by Anonymousreply 3003/06/2011

That was the point, I think R25. She was unique in the industry.

by Anonymousreply 3103/06/2011

Yes, Janis was unique.

She was so unique with her screeching blues style that even Robert Plant co-opted her singing style while he was in Led Zeppelin. Zeppelin basically ripped off so many musicians, from black American blues to British folkies! I don't think Jimmy Page had one original idea in his head.

by Anonymousreply 3203/06/2011

Zellwegger as Joplin? No way. As Gilbert Godfried, maybe, but not Joplin.

by Anonymousreply 3303/06/2011

What about a Cass Elliott biopic?

by Anonymousreply 3403/06/2011

[quote]What about a Cass Elliott biopic?

I'm available.

by Anonymousreply 3503/06/2011

If she doesn't want it, I'm available during Glee's hiatus.

by Anonymousreply 3603/06/2011

Janis was voted the ugliest man on campus in college which was soul-crushing. They would have to seriously ugly up Adams and butch her up. Adams seems too feminine for the role.

by Anonymousreply 3703/06/2011

Claire Danes could possibly handle it. Maybe Michelle Williams too.

by Anonymousreply 3803/06/2011

Claire Danes isn't a bad idea, actually its a great idea, but at this point she can't get a movie financed. Maybe another HBO project?

That said, the Academy clearly wants Adams to win at some point - they keep nominating her. She could get an indie movie financed and it would be the obvious chance to show she's Meryl-level and not just another Glenn.

by Anonymousreply 3903/06/2011

The actress I was thinking about, who resembles Janis, is Mare Winningham.

by Anonymousreply 4003/06/2011

She's too old.

by Anonymousreply 4103/06/2011

Claire Danes is an excellent suggestion. I'm shocked to hear that AA is in her mid thirties.

by Anonymousreply 4203/06/2011

Your imginations may not be able to envision her Janis. That doesn't mean she doesn't have one in her.

by Anonymousreply 4303/06/2011

This is the face & voice who should play Joplin

by Anonymousreply 4403/06/2011

How about an all black version starring bull-dyke Latiffa? It could be a hip-hop salute to hippiedom.

by Anonymousreply 4503/06/2011

R26, do you mean Juliette Lewis? The "beady-eyed" (your words) actress who now has a band?

by Anonymousreply 4603/06/2011

Look at R26/40 - the dedicated, unstoppable Mare Winningham troll.%0D %0D I don't think Mare looks like her. Or Amy Adams, who is too cutesy. If they cared, they would have gone with some unknown.

by Anonymousreply 4703/06/2011

I think the Crystal Bowersox suggestion is not a bad idea.

by Anonymousreply 4803/06/2011

[quote]the dedicated, unstoppable Mare Winningham troll.

One of the most loathsome trolls on DL!

by Anonymousreply 4903/06/2011

Nobody really looks like her which isn't shocking. Are they going to give Adams fake acne scars?

by Anonymousreply 5003/06/2011

Anyone who thinks there's a resemblance between Amy Adams and Janis Joplin should get their eyes checked.

by Anonymousreply 5103/06/2011

[quote]I can't see Adams having the spirit to pull it off. She's too meh.

Exactly R13. Putting sunglasses on her face and some lovebeads around her neck isn't going to turn Amy Adams into Janis Joplin.

by Anonymousreply 5203/06/2011

What audience is going to empathise with Amy Adams claiming to be "different"? In what upside down world is Amy Adams ever going to be considered ugly? Have any of you people ever heard Janis Joplin laugh?

I'd rather see Emily Blunt do it. If I had to.

by Anonymousreply 5303/06/2011

Well she can always sport a fake nose. It won me an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 5403/06/2011

R7 And Charlize Theron was way too beautiful to be Aileen Worthos too, but she sold it. It is called professional makeup. Amy Adams is a multi-talented actress not another Jennifer Aniston.

by Anonymousreply 5503/06/2011

Clea DuVall could play Janis, but I think she's 34.

by Anonymousreply 5603/06/2011

[quote]I'd rather see Emily Blunt do it. If I had to.

Blunt can't act her way out of a wet paper bag!

[quote]Amy Adams is a multi-talented actress

by Anonymousreply 5703/06/2011

Amy Adams sounds like a mouse when she talks. She's no Janis with that high pitched squeak.

by Anonymousreply 5803/06/2011

Mila Kunis could do it. She has the tomboy, raspy-voiced thing going on.

by Anonymousreply 5903/06/2011

That was kind of the point, R57.

by Anonymousreply 6003/06/2011

Have they ever dubbed the vocal recordings of an actress?

by Anonymousreply 6103/06/2011

Can we have a Claire Danes blackout for the next two years? With all those awards she kept getting for that "Temple Grandin" movie, I'm tired of seeing her.

by Anonymousreply 6203/06/2011

No, an Amy Adams blackout.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6303/06/2011

Britney Spears should play Janis. I know its not 2007, but still...

by Anonymousreply 6403/06/2011

As talented as Clea is, I don't think she has the right energy to play Janis. There is almost a meekness about Clea.

by Anonymousreply 6503/06/2011

[quote]Have they ever dubbed the vocal recordings of an actress?%0D %0D Yes, especially when she is playing an iconic singer%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6603/06/2011

Amy Adams would be an excellent Joplin.

by Anonymousreply 6703/06/2011

Send me a script, I'll clear some room in my schedule!

by Anonymousreply 6803/06/2011

"Janis was voted the ugliest man on campus in college which was soul-crushing."

She actually wasn't ugly. I'm sure a lot of ugly men voted on how "ugly" Janis supposedly was.

by Anonymousreply 6903/06/2011

[quote]And I think if she does it well it will be her Oscar win. She's approaching Glenn/Moore territory with no wins and numerous nominations.%0D %0D Not to mention that the Academy LOVES rewarding actors who play somebody famous.

by Anonymousreply 7003/06/2011

Edie Brickell?

by Anonymousreply 7103/06/2011

If this happens, who will play Jim Morrison, Grace Slick,Jimi Hendrix, Country Joe ,Dick Cavett?

by Anonymousreply 7203/06/2011

[quote]She's approaching Glenn/Moore territory with no wins and numerous nominations.%0D %0D Again, how sorry we feel for people limiting their outlook to only the immediate history they lived, whether in their lives or through Datalounge.%0D %0D Glenn/Moore (5 and 4 noms respectively) is merely that, a territory. We own the damn republic.

by Anonymousreply 7303/06/2011

Despite her looks Janet attracted some pretty boys in her time, on the strength of her fame/charisma and star power. She was like a man that way. She also had at least one beautiful song written about her in Leonard Cohen's "Chelsea Hotel # 2."

by Anonymousreply 7403/06/2011

And that's a territory they share with a few others, like Benning and Ritter

by Anonymousreply 7503/06/2011

The film is about "one day in the life". Any Joplin fans have an idea which day in her life would be important enough to focus an entire movie on? My guess is that it wont be the day she died.

by Anonymousreply 7603/06/2011

I thought it was supposed to be her last day but full of flashbacks as she's dying.

by Anonymousreply 7703/08/2011

There has been talk about a movie about Janis Joplin for decades. The closest thing to a Janis Joplin movie that ever got made was the execrable "The Rose." The semitic-looking, orange-haired, Broadway-voiced Bette Midler as Janis Joplin? How dumb is that?%0D %0D Here are some people who have been said over to years to be slated to play Janis in a movie:%0D %0D Courtney Love%0D %0D Melissa Ethridge%0D %0D Pink%0D %0D Renee Zellweger%0D %0D Lili Taylor%0D %0D Zooey Deschanel%0D %0D Reese Witherspoon (yes, really)%0D %0D And now it's Amy Adams. Yes, the slim, squeaky-voiced, porcelain-skinned, pretty Amy Adams would be the perfect choise to play the hefty, raw-voiced, acne-scarred, plain Janis Joplin.%0D %0D I don't think any actress could do justice to Janis Joplin. She was a very complicated character, despite her image of being a good-time Mama who just wanted to get drunk, stoned and laid. She was very intelligent and well-read. She wanted to get married to a good man and have a baby. But she nurtured her image because she thought that's why people liked her. Despite her bravado, she was depressed and lonely and had zero self-esteem. Not many actresses would be able to portray somebody like her and make it seem real.

by Anonymousreply 7803/08/2011

High School

by Anonymousreply 7903/08/2011

What's funny about Adams is that I though Hathaway upstaged her in those Oscar skits. You know when they were showing clips of the nominated movies and she and Franco were acting along with the original actors.

I thought Anne made a much more convincing blue collar chick than Adams. They should have hired Hathaway for that part.

by Anonymousreply 8003/08/2011

I think Lili Taylor would be perfect.

by Anonymousreply 8103/08/2011

r81, Lili Taylor is almost 50 years old at this point. Janis died at 27.

by Anonymousreply 8203/08/2011

Lily Taylor cannot act her way out of a wet paper bag and would be absolutely terrible in a movie like this! Despite her indie cred she is/was mostly a horrible actress. The only movie I liked her in was Mystic Pizza.

by Anonymousreply 8303/08/2011

Yes, but Janis looked like shit at 27. Lili was born in 1967. %0D %0D I have no idea what Lili looks like now but if she's relatively well preserved she'd be the only actress I could think of who has a passing resemblance to Janis and the husky voice needed for the role. It's certainly no weirder a choice than Amy Adams.%0D %0D Otherwise I can't think of a popular actress out there who could do it justice. They'd be better off going with an unknown.

by Anonymousreply 8403/08/2011

R82 she just turned 44.

by Anonymousreply 8503/08/2011

If they uglied up Jennifer Lawrence, she might be an OK choice.

by Anonymousreply 8603/08/2011

My dad grew up in Port Arthur and went to the same high school she want to - Thomas Jefferson. I can tell you everything horrible you've heard about the town she grew up in is true and then some. It's dirty because of the refineries, which dot the landscape heading in, economically depressed, etc. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

by Anonymousreply 8703/08/2011

A friend and I wound up there on a roadtrip. Mostly because of Janis curiosity but also because it looked coastal on the map so we assumed there'd at least be a nice waterfront. As we came up over the bridge full of expectations we were met with a skyline of smoke stacks. The only remotely waterfront like place we found smelled awful and was covered in pigeon shit, just absolutely caked.

by Anonymousreply 8803/08/2011

My mother is from nearby Beaumont. She and her six siblings all left. One great aunt remained in Port Arthur, so we'd drive out to visit occasionally. I can verify that Port Arthur is not a garden spot.

P.S. Robert Rauschenberg also came from Port Arthur.

P.P.S. The great aunt we were visiting was named poet laureate of Texas.

by Anonymousreply 8903/08/2011

My mom is from Beaumont. There's another city in the area called Orange and it's known as the "Golden Triangle," which I laugh at every time I think about it because there's nothing golden about it. According to Wikipedia it's because of all the wealth that came in after they discovered oil there.

by Anonymousreply 9003/08/2011

Jennifer Lawrence would actually be a really interesting choice to play Joplin.

by Anonymousreply 9103/08/2011

"At 35, Adams is too old to play Joplin, who died at 27."%0D %0D And looked at least 50.

by Anonymousreply 9203/08/2011

They should just audition 20,000 unknown girls and young women. An unknown actress will make potential audiences more curious. It was like that when Sam Riley was picked to play Ian Curtis of Joy Division in Anton Corbijn's "Control."

by Anonymousreply 9303/08/2011

Uh, HELLO!!!%0D %0D While I agree young actress with incredible voices are VERY hard to find but we DO exist; just look a little harder.

by Anonymousreply 9403/08/2011

Yes but R73, at least Glenn Close is still alive.

by Anonymousreply 9503/08/2011

The 20-minute Janis Joplin segment in the 2003 documentary "Festival Express" obviates the need for any bipic.

by Anonymousreply 9603/08/2011

Amy looks like a prettier Tonya Hardig. Playing Tonya would win her the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 9703/08/2011

She really looks like Tonya here.

by Anonymousreply 9810/21/2012

A movie about Janis Joplin has been talked about for DECADES. The as yet to have been made movie has had lots of people pegged for the lead role, all of them ridiculous: Courtney Love, Melissa Ethridge, Pink, Renee Zellweger, Lili Taylor, and now Amy Adams.

If a movie does get made, it's probably going to suck big time.

by Anonymousreply 9910/21/2012

The role of Janis Joplin has gone to Nina Arianda so you can all stop weighing in on who should play her.

by Anonymousreply 10010/21/2012

Well Zoe Saldana is playing Nina Simone (who was a brick), so the Hollywood casting machine is par for the course.

NPR had a piece on the Janis play, "One Night with Janis Joplin", and the woman playing her should be cast. Listen to the story (9 minutes)- she channels the woman (and is unremarkably plain).

by Anonymousreply 10110/22/2012

Anything that erases the memory of Midler's scenery chewing will be just fine with me . . .

by Anonymousreply 10210/22/2012

Had to bump this, so a Waspy looking blond with an Italian/Spanish sounding last name, Nina Arianda Matijcio, is going to play a hard living, rough looking woman from a working class area of Texas, oh joy! More horrible casting. As others have stated here, why not look for an unknown with talent?

btw, I am NOT the Mare Winningham troll. For MANY years I had always thought Mare, when she was younger, resembled Janis.

If the accuser here had read my original post in this thread, I couldn't even remember her fucking name, so how could I be "The Mare Winningham Troll"? Some of you here really need to get a freaking life.

The posters who keep calling others "trolls" need to STFU, especially as most of the people posting in this thread weren't even born when Janis died, let alone when she was at the height of her fame. It was an era of fantastic rock music most here will never truly know about, let alone had experienced!

by Anonymousreply 10311/10/2012

After "Cabaret" some weirdo really wanted to do a Joplin bio starring Liza. Yoko Ono would have been a better choice.

by Anonymousreply 10411/10/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!