Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Dental extraction

Well, that went well. %0D %0D I hope there are no complications. I've read horror stories on the internet. Has anyone not had any problems following an extraction?%0D %0D And more importantly, what can I eat? Food should be "squashy" and cold to lukewarm.

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 3508/10/2011

Sounds like a good excuse to eat lots of ice cream.

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 103/05/2011

Good for you - I had an extraction on Tuesday, and the dentist managed to dislocate my jaw...

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 203/05/2011

Use a straw for a day or two and you'll be fine.

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 303/05/2011

Rinse often with salt water. Do NOT lift anything heavy and dislodge the clot. Trust me, it's beyond gross.

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 403/05/2011

[quote] I had an extraction on Tuesday, and the dentist managed to dislocate my jaw...%0D %0D Ow, poor R2. Now after the extraction I can imagine something happening. The dentist was at times quite brutal.%0D %0D [quote]by: jogurt and cream soups%0D %0D Can I eat dairy products? I read on the internet that one shouldn't, but my dentist didn't mention it (only coffee and tea)

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 503/05/2011

r4 is right, that's what I was told by the dentist when I had 3 wisdom teeth pulled.

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 603/05/2011

I had a dental extraction which opened up a hole in my sinus cavity. It didn't close by itself so I had to have a second surgery to close the hole.

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 703/05/2011

"Use a straw for a day or two and you'll be fine."

Worst. Advice. Ever! for a dental extraction and the fastest way to dry socket.

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 803/05/2011

R7, what were your symptoms?

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 903/05/2011

They don't even like you to smoke, so forget a straw. I smoked tobacco using a bong for a few days afterwards.

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 1003/05/2011

I had no problems whatsoever with a wisdom tooth extraction (only one tooth). They told me to swill with salt water and I avoided crunchy and tough food for a few days - I think I ate sandwiches and pasta mostly.

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 1103/05/2011

I had an impacted wisdom tooth removed. I got a dry socket. After that, they put a bridge over the area where the wisdom tooth had been and I have had pain and a bad smell there when I irrigate it.%0D %0D I went to a different doctor and he examined me and xrayed the bridge and didn't find anything. I have constant soreness there 24/7 for 3 years. I religiously irrigate it with my Water Pik twice a day and get a horrible smell and acute pain when I do it.%0D %0D I have no idea what is wrong. Dentists claim I'm fine.

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 1203/05/2011

"Worst. Advice. Ever! for a dental extraction and the fastest way to dry socket."

Keeping your mouth clean and avoiding touching the clot is the worst advice ever?

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 1303/05/2011

"Keeping your mouth clean and avoiding touching the clot is the worst advice ever?"

Read your post again genius. That wasn't your advice. Sucking food up through a straw is a no no after a tooth extraction. Any dentist will tell you that.

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 1403/05/2011

[quote]Read your post again genius. That wasn't your advice. Sucking food up through a straw is a no no after a tooth extraction. Any dentist will tell you that.%0D %0D Why?

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 1503/05/2011

The vacuum you create by sucking the straw will dislodge the clot.

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 1603/05/2011

I only ever had one extraction which is a wisdom tooth and was told to rinse several times a day with some salty water. Also, brush your teeth carefully and avoid that area for a day or so. I ate what I would eat normally except but avoided things such as flatbread, chips, anything with sesame seeds, etc. I had no post extraction complications such as infections or swelling.

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 1703/05/2011

You dislodge the clot with the sucking action.%0D %0D Extractions have never caused me any problem and getting a root canal or a bridge is worse pain.

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 1803/05/2011

Straws are not supposed to be used after a dental extraction.

"The reason for this precaution is that immediately following the surgery, the nerves and bone are protected by a delicate and fragile blood clot. Any kind of suction can cause the premature loss of this blood clot, exposing the nerves and bone to the oral environment. This is extremely painful and can easily lead to a post-op infection. After about two weeks, the clot is no longer needed because epithelium (skin) has grown in and covered the exposed nerve and bone."

You should avoid the use of straws for at least 3 days after extraction, and some will say as much as two weeks following one.

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 1903/05/2011

I was the one with the hole in the sinus cavity. I went in for a root canal that went bad and I had to have the extraction. Afterwards they told me about the hole in my sinus cavity. It seemed to be healing all right the first week, but then I got sick with a bad cold... I think I sneezed wrong and that screwed it up. I remember an incredibly bad taste in my mouth, which I guess was sinus goop leaking through. For some reason, I can't remember how painful it was... guess I've blanked that part out. %0D %0D They gave me the usual instructions for after dental surgery. No straws. No nuts that might get stuck in the hole. Lots of salt water rinses.

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 2003/05/2011

Thank you all for your comments%0D %0D I'm surprised about the salt water comments. My mouth feels quite sore right now, I think salt water would only lead to pain. %0D %0D But right now, 5 hours after the extraction it does not really hurt. Of course it is sore and I can taste blood from time to time, but I thought it would be worse. I'm literally praying that it stays that way. %0D %0D BTW I'm getting extremely hungry and the no dairy products rule pisses me off. Can't I even eat eggs? %0D %0D

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 2103/05/2011

Eggs aren't "dairy" so go ahead.

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 2203/05/2011

Don't spit too forcefully, either.

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 2303/05/2011

Salt water sounds far worse than it actually feels, OP. It's quite soothing. I gargle with warm salt water any time I have a sore throat and I use it as a rinse when I have a sore in my mouth.

I was told not to avoid using straws and I followed that advice.

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 2403/05/2011

I was the world's greatest dental patient. I would get root canal with a shot of Novocaine and actually sleep through it. I would actually get compliments about how calm I was. New city, new dentist, need wisdom teeth removed. Doctor shoots me up and disappears. Ten minutes later he comes back and I say it didn't work I can feel my lips and everything on one side. He was pissed and said he'd do it again and does and leaves. Now he comes back and I say it still isn't working and he proceeds to take them. He gets to the last one on the bottom right and I swear I felt everything. I saw a white light, I was lifting out of the seat and the nurse was holding me down. I was trying to say stop or hurry up I feel it and the Dentist all but called me a child. It was the single most painful thing I ever experienced.

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 2503/05/2011

I've had an experience like that, R25.

Not numb enough and had the asshole try to do some deep gum procedure. Me with tears streaming like a baby. I've had to fire 2 dentists in the recent past. My current one seems OK so far. Don't know why it's so hard to find a good one.

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 2603/05/2011

I've had two teeth removed in back, and didn't have any problems whatsoever. I kept gauze in there for about 3 days though because everything I've read about dry socket makes it sound like a nightmare.

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 2703/05/2011

After reading about r25 and r26's experience, I think it's high folly that the dental board threatened to sue the creators of "Little Shop of Horrors" for the depiction of the sadistic dentist (played by Steve Martin in the movie). Sounds like that was spot-on.

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 2803/05/2011

Don't suck on anything for a few days after an extraction. I know this is hard for you whores!

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 2903/05/2011

Okay, so it's almost 48 hours after the extraction and I didn't suffer much. %0D %0D How do I know everything is healing alright and there's no chance of dry socket? How should it look like?

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 3003/07/2011

Had my extraction done two days ago, was a doing from hell! Densist worked so rough i had multiple cuts on my inner cheek..Eating normal foods but not allwoing any near the hole and cuts.. Not too into bloodclot dislodging as this is the second tooth and I go wild after extraction..Just don't rinse too much afterwards and not smoke..

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 3108/10/2011

Why is it necessary to extract wisdom teeth if they are not causing any pain or problems. The dentist we go to recommends it for everyone in their late teens. WTF?

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 3208/10/2011

Oh god, I had 4/5 wisdom teeth one -- one was fused with another molar. I was told that my jaw might be damaged from extraction. Long story short, I was put under, the teeth were pulled in 15 minutes. I woke up, went home, took the pills, and was eating solid foods two days later. It's nothing. I too read every horror story. I don't know what the fuck people are all complaining about. I've had fillings put in, one cavity was so far done, the dentist had a worry look on his face. I go, and it's a pleasure. You know what's horrible, the bloody gauze. The smell and the taste is so fucking horrible, and teeth cleanings. I can't hold my jaw open for long periods of time. I almost feel as though I'm going to dislocate it. I'm a master blowjob giver too -- go figure.

I think a lot of pain is psychological. I'm not saying people can't have things go wrong, but honestly, most people almost faint at the thought of going to the dentist. I think some people have childhood trauma, or have heard one too many bad stories. I just go and get it over with. Perhaps I have a high tolerance for pain.

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 3308/10/2011

I had no problems (well, apart from it hurting a lot for a couple of days) and they had to really dig out my impacted wisdom tooth (I think I got seven stitches). Just don't over-do it - eat soft food for a couple of days and be careful for a while. Cold compresses help with the swelling and pain, but it's probably too late for that - you have to do them from the start.

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 3408/10/2011

OP here. I can't believe this thread is still around.%0D %0D I had a dental implant 3 weeks ago and everything went just as well as with the extraction. No pain, no bleeding, no fear of the procedure. The only thing like R33 said is that I couldn't hold my jaw open for long periods of time. %0D %0D Hope it is going well for you R31. Remember not to eat dairy products and not to lift heavy weights or move too much. Take it easy.

by crossing my fingers while typingreply 3508/10/2011
Need more help? Click Here.