Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Priscilla Queen of the Desert, on Broadway

Judging by the commercials, it looks REALLY bad and even somewhat low budget.

Has anyone been? Why was it necessary to bring this to Broadway knowing there was no way it could do justice to the film??

by Anonymousreply 7406/15/2013

Not at all interested in this show but I believe it will be a hit alone for the Mamma Mia inspired tunestack of disco hits. It's selling out in London, Australia and this company had a successful tryout in Toronto.%0D I can't imagine watching creepy Will Swenson camping it up. I do hear that the bus is worth seeing... but does one go to a show for the scenery??

by Anonymousreply 103/04/2011

I saw it in London a few months ago - started off quite well, but got a bit mawkish. Bus was quite clever.

by Anonymousreply 203/04/2011

I think these shows are designed ONLY to sell tickets to the masses and not even remotely intended to be critically successful. These shows aren't for people who enjoy theater, they're for people who never see theater, people from outside the big city who gallop back home to tell meemaw and cousin Tammy that they saw a "Broadway show".

by Anonymousreply 303/04/2011

Saw it last night. One of the most fun, enjoyable, life-affirming musicals I have ever scene. The audience ovation was endless. It makes you forget the horrors of Spiderman. The musical numbers are joyous. Costumes are hilarious. The Australian actor playing the transexual is brilliant and will win a Tony. Will Swenson, however, is like a big black hole in the middle of the show. Why did they cast him?

by Anonymousreply 403/04/2011

[quote] the most fun, enjoyable, life-affirming musicals

MARY!!

by Anonymousreply 503/04/2011

Getting a bus to pick up the leads and chorus "girls."

by Anonymousreply 703/04/2011

Wow...

r3 - You are just a barrel of fun, aren't ya?

For some reason, I don't think these semi-fictional, semi-literate yokels you describe are going to spend a lot of money on "Prisilla" in the first place.

It looks fun. I enjoyed the movie thoroughly.

I would have preferred it have an original score, though.

by Anonymousreply 803/04/2011

R6 is a 65 year old gay guy who collects Disney characters and has a Winnie the Pooh tattoo on his right arm.

by Anonymousreply 903/04/2011

I saw it in London and enjoyed every minute I will certainly see it here though have no faith I will buy into Will Swenson at all They can try to make him happen all they want doubt they will succeed

by Anonymousreply 1003/04/2011

r3 / r5 / r9 you sound like a fat miserable asshole.

by Anonymousreply 1103/04/2011

Is ping-pong "lady" in the show? The whole movie was boring & long except for the crazy filipina spitting out the ping-pong balls. "Me perform for you, me dance too!!"

by Anonymousreply 1203/04/2011

Stuffed shirts won't enjoy it but they never enjoy anything.

by Anonymousreply 1303/04/2011

R3 really isn't too bright, but Priscilla is bubblegum theater. Bouncy pop music, elaborate sets and the bare minimum of character and plot to get from one set and song to the next.%0D %0D At 200 bucks a seat it is pricey bubblegum.%0D %0D Lots of New Yorkers love these kind of shows R3.

by Anonymousreply 1403/04/2011

Key being "New Yorkers", r14, and Europeans visiting. That will have to keep the show going for a long run because 'flyover country' Americans will not be able to handle "Priscilla". Even if they stumble in to the theater out of curiosity, the word will spread --"Golly, them's boys dressed as wimmin. I ain't lettin nobody know I saw a queer show."

by Anonymousreply 1503/04/2011

Yeah, because that really hurt La Cage aux Folles R15.

by Anonymousreply 1603/04/2011

Didn't like the movie. What are the songs?

by Anonymousreply 1703/04/2011

One amusing/disturbing thing I forgot to mention..I heard more than a few audience members asking if this show was based on a movie! WTF?!? How could anyone not know this was a film? It wasn't from 100 years ago and it, in fact, was one of the most indelible films of the 90s. I fear for this generation's cultural IQ. Or do I just live in a gay NYC bubble?

by Anonymousreply 1803/04/2011

"One of the most fun, enjoyable, life-affirming musicals I have ever scene."%0D %0D Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 1903/04/2011

The best things about the movie were Terence Stamp and the basilik lizard costumes.

by Anonymousreply 2003/04/2011

It does not have any appeal for me, I did not much care for the film.

by Anonymousreply 2103/04/2011

I have seen it twice in London. It has been playing there for over two years. It is wonderful, heartwarming, and entertaining. Get off your high ass horse, OP.

Also, yes, it follows the movie quite closely, and the music is a mish-mash of 60's, 60's, and 80's pop anthems-and each of them is perfect for the moment.

The singing angels (meant to represent the blow-up doll in the film) are an extra-added fun touch.

by Anonymousreply 2203/04/2011

Terrence Stamp was great, R20, but Hugo Weaving and Guy Pearce were also excellent in the film. Personally, I hated the stereotypical asian ping-pong lady - both racist and misogynist in one character

The lizard outfits are actually meant to evoke the iconic australian Frill-neck Lizard.

Scroll down to see this bizarre reptile:

by Anonymousreply 2303/04/2011

Oh, please...everyone knows that stereotypical Thai hookers + ping-pong ball trick = fun, laughs, good times.

by Anonymousreply 2403/04/2011

Yes, the ping pong lady is in the show.

Get ready to duck!

by Anonymousreply 2503/04/2011

My co-worker told me ping pong lady was nominated for best supporting actress oscar, but I can't find anything that proves this.

by Anonymousreply 2603/04/2011

I saw it in London in the summer and really really enjoyed it. It's not meant to be high art and morons like R3 blithely show their ignorance when they try to sound so pedantic and self-righteous when they look for deeper meaning in a production that is just meant to be fun.

It's absolutely a fun show, OP. It does justice to the film quite well. In fact, because of the costumes alone, if any film was going to make a good stage adaptation, this is it. With a bigger budget, they were able to do some amazing things in terms of costumes. If you've seen the movie, then you know the story; they don't veer away from the film at all really. I won't give too much away but the ping pong dance is set to "Pop Muzik" by M Factor!

by Anonymousreply 2703/04/2011

I'm going on the 12th with 4 relatives. I have heard it's great. Looking forward to it!

by Anonymousreply 2803/04/2011

I saw it in London. What's strange is that the songs have so little connection with each other. At least in Mamma Mia! the songs were all by Abba. Here you have "I've Never Been To Me" followed by "Don't Leave Me This Way" followed by "I Say A Little Prayer" followed by "Both Sides Now", not to mention "MacArthur Park" and "Always On My Mind". It's the first musical with a score provided by i-pod shuffle.

by Anonymousreply 2903/04/2011

R3 = Addison DeWitt

by Anonymousreply 3003/04/2011

lol, R30!

by Anonymousreply 3103/04/2011

[qote]It does not have any appeal for me, I did not much care for the film.%0D %0D Me too. I'll wait for the bootleg.

by Anonymousreply 3203/04/2011

I adored the film, esp Terence Stamp. I'm seeing it a week from Tuesday. I hope it's good.

But it sure can't be worse that that "Women on the Verge" turd.

by Anonymousreply 3303/04/2011

The movie was overrated.%0D %0D "To Wong Foo" was much better.

by Anonymousreply 3403/04/2011

Nick Adams ain't no Chi Chi Roderiguez.

by Anonymousreply 3503/04/2011

'Priscilla...' had its faults as a movie, R34, but 'To Wong Foo...' was a dreary, cheap hollywood knock-off.

Or were you in it, dear?

by Anonymousreply 3603/04/2011

[quote]My co-worker told me ping pong lady was nominated for best supporting actress oscar, but I can't find anything that proves this.

No but the ping pong lady was Julia Cortez who's only other movie was the kid's movie "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" as Rita Repulsa both Oz productions.

by Anonymousreply 3703/04/2011

YA CAN'T HAVE!

YA CAN'T HAVE NUTHIN!

WE GOT NUTHIN HERE FOR PEOPLE LIKE YOU!

by Anonymousreply 3803/04/2011

Saw it last night. Total over-the-top fabulosity. Costumes are hilarious, the divas were great, and the bus was very cleverly done.

My only (slightly) negative observation would be that the male leads don't have the greatest voices I've ever heard. But the mins sure are fine to look at. And ping-pong lady was hysterically funny.

I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 3903/16/2011

I'll go see this show if Nick Adams takes his clothes off.

by Anonymousreply 4103/16/2011

Love, love , loved it, great fun, amazing costumes, the audience gave it an ovation I've never seen on broadway, went on for several minutes.

by Anonymousreply 4203/16/2011

Saw it in Toronto. Liked the bus, but another jukebox musical with disco retreads. The flyovers and fraus will love it.

by Anonymousreply 4303/16/2011

Do they actually sing the songs or are they just performing/lip-synching to the original tracks?

by Anonymousreply 4403/16/2011

Which of the three drag actors is the prettiest? That's the one I'll take home in my van.

by Anonymousreply 4503/16/2011

I read in the NY Times the producers - lead by Bette Midler - DE-GAYED every nuance to make it palatable for midwestern tourists. Even the ads feature female showgirls! %0D %0D So why should any gay guy see a show about gay men - drag queens - that is now TOTALLY butched-up??

by Anonymousreply 4603/16/2011

[quote]I read in the NY Times the producers - lead by Bette Midler - DE-GAYED every nuance to make it palatable for midwestern tourists. Even the ads feature female showgirls!

Yes they "DE-GAYED" the whole thing thanks to Bette Midler. Not only are the drag queens heterosexual, Bernadette is now a real biological woman. Stay away reply 46. Stay far far away. Please.

by Anonymousreply 4703/16/2011

Well, if this show has been "butched up", they must have been butt-fucking on stage in London and Toronto. It's the gayest thing I've seen on B'way. Much gayer than La Cage. And Nick Adams is basically naked most of the show.

by Anonymousreply 4803/16/2011

They are NOT drag queens!!! Merely transvestites in search of the right girl.

by Anonymousreply 4903/16/2011

As he should be. That boy is perfection.

by Anonymousreply 5003/16/2011

[quote]Bernadette is now a real biological woman.

The show makes extensive jokes about how "Ralph" cut off his "ralph", i.e., had transexual surgery.

If that makes Bernadette a biological women... whatevs.

What's your damage, R47? Didn't make the cut?

by Anonymousreply 5103/16/2011

Will Swenson is creepy. Does he make Audra wear that creepy Mormon underwear or did he leave the church?

by Anonymousreply 5203/16/2011

Nick Adams will present his hole to anyone.

by Anonymousreply 5303/16/2011

Seeing it tomorrow night....can't wait! And then it opens on Friday so I'm seeing the finished product!!!%0D %0D I promise to report back.

by Anonymousreply 5403/16/2011

Thanks R54, please let us know how "de-gayed" the finished production actually is - between the Times article and those REALLY annoying ads featuring real women I had wanted to see it but will not spend my money on a musical depicting yet another straight person's homogenized version of gay LIFE - ESPECIALLY WHEN IT IS ADAPTED FROM AN UBER-GAY FILM I LOVE lOVE LOVE!!!!!!!%0D %0D A straight Priscila sounds ......sad.

by Anonymousreply 5503/16/2011

The original play was about Kylie Minogue impersonators but they took all the Kylie out.

Fuckers.

by Anonymousreply 5603/16/2011

I saw today's matinee. A very vibrant well executed crowd pleaser.

The tour bus is spray painted "Fuck Off Faggot" by thugs.

The characters say cock and tits quite often.

This "degayed" bit doesn't seem true. There's a lot of stuff that could be deemed "objectionable."

Many of the tourists bought and wore the purple boas sold at the souvenir counter.

by Anonymousreply 5703/16/2011

It's one the gayest show I've ever seen. And I've seen a lot of shows.

by Anonymousreply 5803/16/2011

[quote]What's your damage, [R47]? Didn't make the cut?

It was sarcasm Dear, they haven't "de-gayed" anything. Here is a clip from this week and if this is "de-gayed" then you have a problem.

by Anonymousreply 5903/16/2011

So was it more straight than gay R59?

by Anonymousreply 6003/17/2011

OMG based on that clip the show seems gayer than Christmas morning at Christopher Radko's home. %0D %0D WTF was the Times doing writing that very misleading article?

by Anonymousreply 6103/17/2011

There is nothing str8 about it, full on great gay show!

by Anonymousreply 6203/17/2011

Bette Midler was on the Today Show this morning to promote this show.

by Anonymousreply 6303/18/2011

Did Brantley ever review the London version and if so what did he think? %0D %0D I can't imagine this will get great reviews but I'm sure it'll be a huge hit anyway. Audiences are so easily amused and overwhelmed these days.

by Anonymousreply 6403/18/2011

Happened upon the opening night scene earlier this evening. Spotted Andy Cohen (squiring a female he was treating like his wife--I guess he's single right now), Joan Rivers, Charlotte Rae (so tiny!) Marc Shaiman and Scott Whitman (checking out the competition I guess), Jerry Mitchell, Christie Brinkley with Barry Weissler(Wow! She looks amazing!), and of course Audra McDonald rocking some serious drag queen shoes. Also noticed a ring on her left hand Did we miss something? Is she betrothed to the ex-Mormon?

by Anonymousreply 6503/20/2011

The ex-Mormon (with the timid cock) is indeed engaged to Audra Ann!

by Anonymousreply 6603/20/2011

The Times review should be appearing any second. I have no idea if Brantley will like it (I sure didn't!), did he review it in London?

by Anonymousreply 6703/20/2011

Brantley did not go near it. Isherwood reviewed it.

by Anonymousreply 6803/21/2011

I don't know how you can really compare Too Wong Foo. I don't know any drag queens, including those in Priscilla, who are not transitioning that go about in drag all the time.

TWF is fun, fluff, Priscilla has some dark moments with Stamps character, and the characters, even Guys' are people.

The show looks fun, I'd see it just for Nick Adams.

by Anonymousreply 6903/21/2011

I didn't want to go but friends talked me into it and I surprisingly loved it. I have a few reservations but have to say it was one of the most consistently even, fun nights I've spent on Broadway in years and the three leads are terrific. Better than the movie in many ways. And the audience loved it. A jukebox musical worth seeing because the story is well turned into a satisfying libretto.

by Anonymousreply 7003/22/2011

Saw it last night in Los Angeles and it was FUCKING FAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 7106/15/2013

Great reason to resurrect another dead thread. You loved it in LA!

by Anonymousreply 7206/15/2013

Loved it! Pop Music for the ping pong ball scene was brilliant. The technical aspects for painting the bus and moving the bus out over part of the audience was awesome.

We saw this the same week as 'normal heart' and 'jerusalem'. There's plenty of room in theater for serious and fun shows. I loved every minute of Priscilla (except maybe the 'always on my mind' with mitzi and his son (i kind of hate kids).

See it if it comes your way and you're not an overly depressed bitter old queen who hasn't had fun since Animal House.

by Anonymousreply 7306/15/2013

emo, r72.

by Anonymousreply 7406/15/2013
Need more help? Click Here.