Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Veneers vs bonding vs caps

I had bonding done many years ago, and now it's chipped and getting discolored. Bleach will not work, because it is not real enamel. I need to get several teeth done and am wondering if any of you have any experience or advice. My teeth are nice and straight, I just want a really great smile (not chicklet teeth though) Also, what is the approximate cost?

by Anonymousreply 1911/24/2012

Veneers start in the tens of thousands of dollars.

by Anonymousreply 103/01/2011

by Anonymousreply 203/01/2011

Tens of thousands for a few teeth? You have to be joking. TENS of thousands???

by Anonymousreply 303/01/2011

No, He is not joking. Bonding is the cheapest and often best method but most dentists won't do it because the profit is low and it takes work.

by Anonymousreply 403/01/2011

Veneers are NOT tens of thousands of dollars! The great part about a veneer versus a cap, the dentist doesn't have to shave your tooth down. Veneers are thinner than caps, though if you've had a root canal, most dentists prefer to cap root canaled teeth because the teeth are so weak. Frankly, if your teeth are healthy and simply discolored, I'd stick to complete tooth bonding. Getting all the front teeth bonded, all the teeth which show when you smile, is much much cheaper than veneers. You'd, of course, have to get all the top bonded, because the color has to match uniformly. The bottom teeth can simply be bleached to match the bonding. Bonding is actually the same material used for veneers. My dentist only charges $200 for complete tooth bonding and even less for a bonded filling. He even built up a broken side tooth which had a root canal many years ago, the tooth looks better than it did before the root canal.

by Anonymousreply 503/01/2011

This looks really good

by Anonymousreply 603/01/2011

This is hilarious, because once she snaps the teeth in she can barley annunciate. She sounds like Cindy Brady.

by Anonymousreply 703/01/2011

"Bonding is the cheapest and often best method but most dentists won't do it because the profit is low and it takes work."

Not if you go to a decent dentist who listens to your financial situation.

If a dentist forces an expensive procedure on you, he's the wrong dentist!

by Anonymousreply 803/01/2011

Exactly R8...most dentists are the wrong dentists and in it for the $$ only.

by Anonymousreply 903/01/2011

Had my entire mouth capped. Right around $25,000 and worth every penny! Doc gave a 10% discount for paying cash upfront.

by Anonymousreply 1003/01/2011

Color me stupid but I thought veneers, bonding and caps were all the same thing.%0D %0D What's the difference between them ?%0D %0D How long do they last ?

by Anonymousreply 1103/01/2011

Veneers do shave off teeth. You take the top portion off of it and cement porcelain on it. Every ten years, or earlier you're teeth have to be redone. Eventually depending on how long you live and your oral health the tooth will be capped anyway.

Veneers start between $1,000 and $1,500 PER TOOTH, depending on where you live. Of course you don't need to veneer the back ones that don't show. Some people have very toothy smiles.

Bonding falls off much more rapidly than veneers, so it's cheaper but most people spend the same money on rebonding as they do for a veneer.

Because a veneer removes part of the actual tooth to be placed, you can't go back. Veneers will block out even the darkest of stains. Other times of veneers like Lumineers are less destructive to your teeth but they don't work as well on discolored teeth.

Caps and veneers lack the natural luminosity of real teeth, so you can usually tell a fake smile, because of this lack of luminosity. But it's better than being snaggle tooth.

No insurance pays for veneers because it's always cosmetic.

The hardest part of dentistry is even if you get a root canal and a cap, if the cap is the wrong color the dentist won't redo it simply because at that point your insurance considers it cosmetic.

by Anonymousreply 1211/24/2012

I just saw an ad for a Christmas special on Lumineers. Normally they run $1,750 PER TOOTH, but now you can get them for only $700 per tooth.

But thanks to Obama you will get no UHC but a cheap imitation that excludes not only 22 million Americans but dental.

You'll pay MORE for the lousy insurance, that is those who aren't welfare queens and food stamp mooches

by Anonymousreply 1311/24/2012

This is for the dentist to determine. If the teeth were previously bonded and have some decay or have been filled, the only option is caps.

Obviously your insurance will determine the price--your plan should cover crowns. A crown, under many plans, costs around $400 to $500 a tooth. The filing of the teeth for crowns can cost $100 to $200 per tooth.

by Anonymousreply 1411/24/2012

Vain gays obsessing over shallow beauty procedures?

Who'd have thunk it?

by Anonymousreply 1511/24/2012

just get a grill like I have!

by Anonymousreply 1611/24/2012

I tried Snap-On Smile and found Rudy Giuliani staring back at me from the mirror!

by Anonymousreply 1711/24/2012

by Anonymousreply 1811/24/2012

It's got longevity!

by Anonymousreply 1911/24/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!