Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Lana Turner

Was she a bad mother?

by Anonymousreply 22312/10/2014

She made her child take the rap for killing her low-class boyfriend so her career wouldn't be ruined- just a tad bad. She is no Joan Crawford. Didn't have that much talent. I am surprised she could kill a man without a prop gun.

by Anonymousreply 302/24/2011

What good would it have done if Lana had gone to prison? Her career would have been ruined and she was the sole breadwinner of the family.%0D %0D Cheryl's autobio painted Lana as a bit self-absorbed (with a penchant for bad boys), but not mean or uncaring. Lana had a rough upbringing, but her own widowed mother did her best to provide for them, and later became her unoffical manager.

by Anonymousreply 402/24/2011

Lana was a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 602/24/2011

Cheryl was close to her mother until the day Lana died. Lana wasn't the best mother, but she wasn't all that bad and Cheryl has said Lana did her best. Lana was completely accepting of Cheryl's partner (they're still together after 40 years) and Lana often called her "my second daughter."

by Anonymousreply 702/24/2011

Lindsay Lohan as Cheryl, Julianne Moore as Lana, Liev Schreiber as Lex Barker and Colin Farrell as Johnny Stampanato.

by Anonymousreply 802/24/2011

Isn't the Harold Robbins 60s potboiler and subsequent film Where Love Has Gone a fictionalized version of Lana's parenting? %0D %0D I think Susan Hayward plays "Lana" in the movie and Bette Davis plays "Lana's mom", but who plays "Cheryl"?

by Anonymousreply 902/24/2011

joey heatherton

by Anonymousreply 1002/24/2011

Frankie was furious when he found Lana and I in bed ...

by Anonymousreply 1102/24/2011

Lana was neither mean nor vicious to her daughter in any way like Joan Crawford was to Christiana.Lana loved her daughter very much in her own way. However, I remember Susielee said she heard that Lana would always take off some where ,and leave her daughter with a nanny. Lana was not around her daughter a whole lot. Lex Barker had a wide opportunity to molest Cheryl. Apparently Lex Barker rape Cheryl for a long time. However, when Cheryl told her mother, she immediately threw him out of the house.

BTW, has anyone ever seen various crime photos of Johnny Stompanato's body? The guy had such a huge and deep hole in his stomach that the shag carpeting under the body could be seen crystal clear.

by Anonymousreply 1202/24/2011

for those of you saying Lana intentionally killed Stampanato, what do you think his mob buddies thought of her after that? Why didn't they off her? She put on good theatrics in the court room, but still, you don't fool those guys easily.

by Anonymousreply 1302/24/2011

I don't think Lana was a bad mother to Cheryl. But she was an actress and children are just an adjunct to their lives not the whole focus as it should be. What Lana didn't have was any sense when it came to men. She was very naive in her worldliness all moonlight and roses when she wanted to bed a man she married him, whether he was a good man or not. And boy, did she wed some losers!

by Anonymousreply 1402/25/2011

Whatever happened to the movie that was going to star Keanu and CZJ?

by Anonymousreply 1502/25/2011

I don't think you have any 'buddies' in the mob. They were probably glad to get rid of the bottomfeeder. Meyer "Mickey" Cohen, the gangster Stompanato worked for as a 'bodyguard', paid the Turners' legal expenses.

by Anonymousreply 1602/25/2011

By all accounts, Lana became very close to Cheryl in her later years. I always got the impression that Lana Turner was, deep down, a very nice person and a good woman. Totally caught up in her Hollywood image and career and a narcissist but not a "mean" person. I think she probably figured some stuff out as she aged and the career slowed down and she made amends with her daughter. Lana Turner is one of my favorite actresses. Not because she was a great actress (she could be very good in the right role) but because she was so glamorous and beautiful and represented so well that whole MGM lacquered old Hollywood stuff.

by Anonymousreply 1702/25/2011

The lady, the legend, THE TRUTH!

by Anonymousreply 1802/25/2011

R11, learn grammar. She found me. She did not find I. You sound ignorant.

by Anonymousreply 1902/25/2011

[quote]However, I remember Susielee said she heard that Lana would always take off some where ,and leave her daughter with a nanny.%0D %0D This wasn't that weird back then for anyone with money. That's how most of the wealthy have always been raised. Look at European aristocracy. Most never saw their children except maybe at breakfast and right before bedtime when the nanny would come down with them for the goodnights, if that. I think nursery aged children were fed in the nursery too. Children were seen and not heard. Frankly I wish we could get back to this a little more considering the behavior I've had to endure in public venues.

by Anonymousreply 2002/25/2011

Actually, R12, Lana didn't believe Cheryl at first and even slapped her if I remember correctly. Cheryl went to her grandmother who convinced Lana to take Cheryl to a doctor who confirmed she had been raped.

by Anonymousreply 2102/25/2011

Yeah, Lana definitely married some real losers; I think she had seven husbands. In those days, an unmarried couple living together was a major scandal and would have ruined a movie star's career so Lana had no choice but to get married to these guys so they could live together.%0D %0D We forget today how uptight people were about couples "living in sin," it was a HUGE taboo. A lot of horrible marriages resulted from that stupid attitude.

by Anonymousreply 2202/25/2011

Nevertheless, Lana did NOT marry Stompanato! %0D %0D I just love typing that name: STOMPANATO%0D %0D Try it, you'll see!

by Anonymousreply 2302/25/2011

by Anonymousreply 2403/01/2011

From Hugh Hefner's Twitter page%0D %0D TGIF. The Friday night Mansion movie is Robert Taylor & Lana Turner in the hot 1942 crime drama "Johnny Eager"%0D %0D Lana Turner once said, "Sex is not that important to me." But it was certainly important to her fans & her studio, MGM.%0D %0D On another occasion, Lana Turner said, "I expected to have one husband & 7 babies." Instead, she had 7 husbands & one daughter.%0D %0D Lana Turner's one child, a Lesbian daughter, wound up killing Lana's abusive mobster boyfriend, Johnny Stepenato.%0D %0D Lana Turner's unfortunate taste in men is reflected in tonight's film that reflects the seduction of a socialite by a suave gangster.%0D %0D Robert Taylor plays the suave, unscrupulous gangster in "Johnny Eager," not unlike Lana Turner's real boyfriend Johnny Stepenato.%0D %0D Robert Taylor and Lana Turner were such a hot team together, the studio promoted them as "TNT" in ads for "Johnny Eager."%0D %0D Robert Taylor was bi-sexual, & he had a bi-sexual wife, Barbara Stanwyck. A marriage of convenience arranged by the studio.%0D %0D In the middle of making "Johnny Eager," Taylor told Stanwyck he had fallen in love with Lana Turner & wanted a divorce.%0D %0D In her ghost-written autobiography, Lana later said she flirted with Taylor, "But I wasn't in love with him, not really!"%0D %0D Lana Turner was billed as the original "Sweater Girl." Her steamy scenes with Clark Gable in "Honky Tonk," upset Carole Lombard, Mrs. G.%0D %0D Lana Turner was then in the process of getting a divorce from band leader Artie Shaw, the first of her 7 husbands.%0D

by Anonymousreply 2508/24/2011

The bitch threw her weight around on MY show so I had her killed off and made into a Nazi sympathiser

by Anonymousreply 2608/25/2011

"She made her child take the rap for killing her low-class boyfriend so her career wouldn't be ruined- just a tad bad"

That's assuming that Cheryl didn't kill Stampanato, which may or may not be the case. Curious though, would it really have hurt Lana's career if she would have justifiably killed her attacker rather than her daughter? It certainly wouldn't today.

by Anonymousreply 2708/25/2011

Joan? Lana? THESE are my choices?

by Anonymousreply 2808/25/2011

[quote]Children were seen and not heard. Frankly I wish we could get back to this a little more considering the behavior I've had to endure in public venues.

by Anonymousreply 2908/25/2011

oh Lana Turner, we love you, get up

by Anonymousreply 3008/25/2011

OP, get Sam Staggs book BORN TO BE HURT which is about the making of Imitation of Life. Lots about Lana, her men, her relationship with Cheryl and the murder that Cheryl took blame for as she was protecting her mother from an abusive lover.

by Anonymousreply 3108/25/2011

[quote]I remember Susielee said she heard that Lana would always take off some where ,and leave her daughter with a nanny.

Fairly common in the day for monied people. I believe the European aristocracy would rarely see their children except maybe once or twice a day for an hour. Servants raised them.

by Anonymousreply 3208/25/2011

Lana's MOTHER was a major figure in Cheryl's upbringing even when Lana was around. Susie Lee must learn to remember what she's read; I did.%0D %0D Rich people send their kids to boarding school; governess/nannies/maids raise them. It's not such a big deal and it'be been done for centuries.

by Anonymousreply 3308/25/2011

At the link, Lana being interviewed at the Madame X premiere. She sounds infantile.

by Anonymousreply 3408/25/2011

Just saw Madame X (1966)on TCM the other day, and she looked good -- not too lacquered as she'd later be. How old was she then?

by Anonymousreply 3508/25/2011

BUMP for Hurricane Irene's tribute to Lana...

by Anonymousreply 3608/27/2011

I'm not going to answer if Lana Turner was a bad mother or not, i'll write what i know for sure. Lana Turner was great, glamorous, sweet, troubled, passionate, so beautifully feminine,one of the most delicate figures that have ever graced the silver screen, A TOUCHING ACTRESS, an inspiring femme fatale, a shining lady despite all her tragedies.

by Anonymousreply 3711/30/2012

I expect from gays to be more compassionate and warm about Lana and post for her. She was not only cute, she was really beautiful and glamorous. Pay your tribute to Lana!

by Anonymousreply 3811/30/2012

Dreamy Lana

“The truth is, sex doesn’t mean that much to me now. It never did, really. It was romance I wanted, kisses and candlelight, that sort of thing. I never did dig sex very much.”

Lana Turner

by Anonymousreply 3911/30/2012

Lana On Attempting Suicide:

“My career was a hollow success, a tissue of fantasies on film. Cheryl loved my mother, and they were both comfortably endowed in my will. I had never before felt or believed I could be in such a dark hole mentally, physically, and worst of all spiritually. All the good in my life-my mother, my child, my work, my friends-was blotted out by the dead feeling that nothing really mattered. I hadn’t heard that suicide was a “cry for help”. To me it meant putting a big stop to the pain and anguish. There was none of that “I’ll show them. Boy they’ll miss me when I’m gone” nonsense. I wasn’t trying to hurt anyone. I was aware that everyone would go on and survive, but I knew I definitely could not. I wanted out.”

“In a trance I opened the cabinet and took out the bottle of pills. Methodically I downed them one by one. Then I thought I would take no chances of being revived. So I took out a razor blade. I didn’t hesitate for an instant. With one sharp movement, I sliced across my wrist. There was no pain at all. I saw the blood spurt out and that was the last thing I knew.

“I woke up in a darkened room at the hospital. Only one light was on, where somebody was working on my wrist. The pain was terrible.”

“Always before in moments of crisis I called on that power we call God to help me through. This time, having lost faith in others and my faith in myself, I had lost my hope in God too. Now that hope returned. I really believed that He hadn’t wanted me to die.”

by Anonymousreply 4011/30/2012

Lana in reality was not thinking that she was beautiful. She thought that she was only cute and pretty but not beautiful. She considered that brunettes are the true beauties, brunettes like Hedy Lamarr or Ava Gardner for example.

Lana On Hedy Lamarr:

“Hedy was at the height of her beauty, with thick, wavy, jet-black hair. With that stunning widow’s peak, her face was magnificent. We all looked up and there she was at the top of the stairs. She wore a cape of some kind up to her chin, and it swept down to the floor. I can’t even remember the color of the cape, because all I saw was that incredible face, that magnificent hair-and a huge diamond. The most fabulous solitaire diamond on her forehead, just at the tip of her widow’s peak. She was enough to make strong men faint.”

by Anonymousreply 4111/30/2012

I say YES.

by Anonymousreply 4211/30/2012

There was a Stompanado script and I thought Adrien Lyn was attached but it never got made.

by Anonymousreply 4311/30/2012

R42....! Lana was wrong. She was beautiful!

Lana Turner on Paulette Goddard:

“I’d never seen anyone so beautiful and elegant, except at a distance. Although she had a delicious sense of humor, she still occupied a pedestal, and I was quite in awe of her. Someday, I told myself, I would be like her.”

by Anonymousreply 4411/30/2012

Lana was always very impulsive with men and that costed her a lot. She was unlucky with men because she always was very naive and impulsive.

'I'm so gullible. I'm so damn gullible. And I am so sick of me being gullible.'

Lana Turner quote

Lana On Her Elopement With Artie Shaw (after only one date):

“It wasn’t that I fell in love with Artie that night. I wasn’t even physically attracted. But here was a wonderfully intelligent man, far more talented and famous than Greg (fyi: Greg Bautzer was a lawyer she had been seeing) would ever be, who took me seriously. And underneath it all I can see, looking back, was the desire to get even with Greg.”

“After the ceremony we went out to an all-night diner for coffee. Suddenly I realized that my mother had no idea where I was. The taxi drove us to the telegraph office, and I wrote out a message: Got Married In Las Vegas. Call You Later. Love, Lana.”

Lana On Her Marriage to Steven Crane:

“Like me, he had been married before. But when he proposed eloping to Las Vegas, though my inner voices were telling me to delay, I didn’t want to listen. An amazing man, handsome and cultivated and clever, loved me. And I passionately wanted him too.”

by Anonymousreply 4511/30/2012

Deep inside Lana was so insecure and passionate. I feel she has been hurt a lot.

'Trash is something you get rid of - or disease. I'm not something you get rid of.' Lana Turner quote

by Anonymousreply 4611/30/2012

oh lana turner we love you get up

by Anonymousreply 4711/30/2012

You are sweet, witty and kind, R47.

by Anonymousreply 4811/30/2012

We have a Lanbot!

by Anonymousreply 4911/30/2012

[quote]was she a bad mother?

Shut your mouth.

by Anonymousreply 5011/30/2012

Hehe! Guys Lana was indeed shining and an elegant lady not like the garbage we have today for stars. We don't have stars today, only plastic people that try to look like stars but they fail to look like that. Overexposure sucks!

'I would like to think that in some small way i have helped preserve the glamour and beauty and mystery of the movie industry.'

Lana Turner

by Anonymousreply 5111/30/2012

I saw a Youtube of Lana on an episode of Donahue from the 80s. She was so gracious to the audience (mostly fraus), who were seated just a few feet away from her (modern chat show audiences are kept at some distance) and answered all their questions with a lot of class and charm. You would NEVER see a contemporary star like Julia or Reese do this. Modern stars, when they appear on chat shows, do not acknowledge the audience at all and if you notice they rarely even look at them.

by Anonymousreply 5211/30/2012

R52, i totally agree with you, very apt your observation. Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 5311/30/2012

She didn't do me justice in Madame X!

by Anonymousreply 5411/30/2012

Lol R54.

She was very moving in that film. Haunting!

by Anonymousreply 5511/30/2012

Lol guys i found two rare photos of Lana with Joan Crawford. It is so funny to see them together because Lana began dating a Joan paramour, lawyer Greg Bautzer. Joan once took Lana aside and told her to stay away from Bautzer because she was going to marry him. (However she never married him...)Joan was such a bully...haha.

by Anonymousreply 5611/30/2012

Joan and Lana all smiles...

by Anonymousreply 5711/30/2012

He walked into my knife.

He walked into my knife twelve times.

by Anonymousreply 5811/30/2012

Lana essentially replaced Joan in the 1940s as Metro's Slut of the Lot.

by Anonymousreply 5911/30/2012

Guys you are hilarious, stop it! Lol!

Lana was not a slut she was just...a warm woman.

by Anonymousreply 6011/30/2012

You mean she was friendly?

by Anonymousreply 6111/30/2012

Lana in a fitting for costumes for her television show THE SURVIVORS.

Ratings were not what they were expected to be, and the show was canceled. Shooting would stop after only a few episodes. The stars were contracted for the full season, and the producer wanted the stars to accept their salary for only the filmed episodes.

Lana was trying on belts and looking in the mirror when the minion of the producers came in and explained the problem.

Lana never looked away from the mirror, but she calmly said: "Every fucking dime I am owed."

And so she was....

by Anonymousreply 6211/30/2012

" Lana was indeed shining and an elegant lady not like the garbage we have today for stars. We don't have stars today, only plastic people that try to look like stars but they fail to look like that."

I disagree, I think onscreen Lana seemed as artificial as any of today's plasticized starlets.

She seems to have been a lovely real person under it all, but onscreen everything about her was fake - from her hair to her corsetry to the acting techniques she learned at the studio school for starlets. She spent her career playing glamorous object, not a human being, she may have been dramatic onscreen but she was never real.

by Anonymousreply 6311/30/2012

R63, i bet you only have seen one or two Lana Turner movies and those with prejudice. Personally, i find her moving in many scenes and not artificial but elegant and breezy. Elegant and breezy is not artificial.

by Anonymousreply 6412/01/2012

I liked her but don't know about as a mother but if she killed lousy boyfriend and let her daughter take the blame, it was probably the best idea...except in my experience, more likely the daughter really did do it.

by Anonymousreply 6512/01/2012

Lana with her only child Cheryl Crane.

by Anonymousreply 6612/01/2012

Lana with Cheryl again

by Anonymousreply 6712/01/2012

Lana with her baby girl.

by Anonymousreply 6812/01/2012

Baby Cheryl with her parents.

by Anonymousreply 6912/01/2012

Lana with her adult daughter.

by Anonymousreply 7012/01/2012

[quote]I'm not going to answer if Lana Turner was a bad mother or not, i'll write what i know for sure. Lana Turner was great, glamorous, sweet, troubled, passionate, so beautifully feminine,one of the most delicate figures that have ever graced the silver screen, A TOUCHING ACTRESS, an inspiring femme fatale, a shining lady despite all her tragedies.

She was a ho who married 7 losers

by Anonymousreply 7112/01/2012

R71! Please!

Lana was not a...whore. She was just a woman that needed love and much attention from a man and unfortunately she picked up the wrong guys. She was very insecure to stay without a man when she was younger but in her fifties she decided that she wanted to date no one again. She realized that she had to stay with herself and try to find her inner power instead of looking for that in other men. Men failed Lana. However Lana loved men. It was brave of her. She tried her luck with some men. It didn't work out.

by Anonymousreply 7212/01/2012

I have sent this in another thread but i find it fitting to post this link here as well. Lana is so beautiful and sweet in it. So sweet and promising. Now, who hasn't the need to protect this kind of person? It's amazing.

by Anonymousreply 7312/01/2012

The fact that Lana was so accepting of her daughter makes me really like her. She was not a present mother according to Cheryl, but she clearly tried to make up for it later on. She never disowned her daughter for coming out as a lesbian so she's alright in my book.

by Anonymousreply 7412/01/2012

Though Turner is often portrayed in 'Detour' as a spoiled star, indifferent to her daughter's needs, she told Cheryl when she saw the book "I'm very proud of you and I think you're one gutsy lady."

Cheryl draws strength from the two most important relationships in her life—with LeRoy and, finally, with her mother. "We always had a bond," Crane says. "It got stretched pretty tight there for a few years, but it never broke."

By the way, Cheryl mentions in her biography about her mother that 'there was no big revelation' about her homosexuality. Her parents and even her grandmother (Lana's mother) took it well and they didn't make scenes about it. Furthermore, Lana said that she accepted Chery's partner Joyce "Josh" LeRoy,"as a second daughter".

Below there is a link with a photo that shows Lana, Cheryl and her love partner Joyce LeRoy sharing a moment together.

The fact that Cheryl is still with LeRoy, after all these years says a lot. Maybe her mother didn't stand lucky with love but her daughter did. That implies that there was a kind of warmness in Cheryl's heart and you can't have that if your parents haven't placed it in your heart first. Cheryl adored and needed Lana. All her actions prove that and you can't love someone who is not lovable even if this is your own mother. She criticized Lana in her first book (Detour) but she never did it without affection. She later wrote Lana:The Memories, the Myths, The Movies in which she paid an illustrated tribute to the career of her mother and to Lana herself. Some moments of this book are tender and heartbreaking.

by Anonymousreply 7512/01/2012

Oh guys i'm sorry, i sent you one photo of Cheryl with Joyce before I wanted to sent you this one! I hope it will work out this time.

by Anonymousreply 7612/01/2012

Is Cheryl's partner "Josh" LeRoy any relation to Mervyn LeRoy, who I believe more or less discovered Lana and directed her in her screen debut They Won't Forget?

If not, that's quite a coincidence of names!

by Anonymousreply 7712/01/2012

It may be because it's black and white film, but it appears as though Lana isn't wearing any make up at all in that clip.

by Anonymousreply 7812/01/2012

Sorry, but all three women look terrible in that photo, r76!

by Anonymousreply 7912/01/2012

What happened to Cheryl's father? Did they have a relationship?

by Anonymousreply 8012/01/2012

No, there is no relation between them R77. Yes, what a coincidence of names indeed!

Below there is Cheryl with Lana and her sixth husband Robert Eaton. He proved himself to be a jerk. He took advantage of Lana's money and he cheated on her.

Cheryl didn't like Eaton and she didn't approve him for her mother, but Lana was infatuated with him and she didn't want to listen. This marriage strained the relationship between mother and daughter because Lana was most of the time with Eaton, neglecting her friends and her daughter. Later, Lana stated to the people who were close to her that her last two husbands were her worst ones and she doesn't even consider them as husbands in her books. Actually, they both took advantage of Lana and they didn't really love her as it seems.

by Anonymousreply 8112/01/2012

I think Lana had cancer in that photo R79, but i don't take a vow. I disagree with you about the other two ladies. They look fine. They are relaxing, they are not in a gala party ffs!

Lana is just too thin in that photo, certainly not ugly. I'm almost sure that this photo was taken due to her illness.

by Anonymousreply 8212/01/2012

Here is the excellent TCM doc "Lana, A Daughter's Memoir" from a few years ago. Cheryl seems like such a lovely person. Well worth a look, and I'm going to post this in the other Lana thread.

by Anonymousreply 8312/01/2012

Chery's relationship with her father from what i gather was more or less pretty solid. Her father offered Cheryl her first job (she worked for him for the interest of his restaurants. Steven Crane an actor at the beginning, he was always have in mind 'the great life' and he became later a successful restaurateur). However, Cheryl was more emotionally attached to her grandmother (Lana's mother) and she was feeling lonely without her own mother.

Cheryl believed that her father truly loved Lana and she supports this in her book. What caused Lana to break from him is that he was...married to another woman and he married Lana too without concealing her that little detail! Steven Crane also was giving a picture of him and of his family to Lana that was not exactly true. When Lana visited with Steven his family, she discovered that and she was astonished that Crane lied to her about their social and financial status. She didn't find that lie necessary. In reality, Crane was striving to be someone and his family didn't have the big business he was talking about. However, what gave Lana a breakdown was when she found out that her second husband hadn't divorced from her first wife. Lana took a divorce (anyway her marriage was annulled from the moment it became clear that her husband was a bigamist)Nonetheless, because she was already pregnant to his child, she later decided to forgive him and give him a second chance for their baby's shake. So, Steven ended his first marriage legally and married Lana for a second time but this time their marriage didn't get annulled. From what i gathered, there was suspicion in this marriage and Lana couldn't and wouldn't trust with all her heart Steven never again. Probably that was the main reason that led to their divorce later. Steven Crane from his side adored and was proud of Lana but he just couldn't give her the honesty she needed as it seems.(Cheryl discovered that her father was keeping a scrapbook full of Lana's photos and pieces of newspapers written for her even years after their divorce). They remained friends after their separation, maybe not cordial ones, but friends.

by Anonymousreply 8412/01/2012

Oh, i forgot to mention that Lana considered Lex Barker with her last two husbands the worst choices she ever made.

Below there is a photo with Lana and Lex Barker

by Anonymousreply 8512/01/2012

Enjoy my loves!

by Anonymousreply 8612/01/2012

Thanks for taking the time to write that, R84. I call you Lanbot with affection.

Sad. It sounds like Crane was the best out of the bunch, but two lies aimed at enhancing his own ego and desperation to "get the gal" seemed to doom the relationship. Or Lana's paranoia about the lies...

I see some parallels to Rita Hayworth's life. It seems the difference between their kids and the Crawford kids (or other Hollywood progeny) is that they knew they were loved, despite their mothers' many travails.

by Anonymousreply 8712/01/2012

[quote]By the time Cheryl was 10, Turner was on her fourth husband, Barker, who one day lured Cheryl into the sauna, told her it was up to every little girl's father to teach her about men and exposed himself. Barker then began visiting Cheryl's room at night, raping her so violently that a doctor said later that she should have had stitches. Finally, when Cheryl grew older and once attempted to fight back, Barker tried to suffocate her with a pillow. Cheryl told her maternal grandmother, who called Turner. Crane chillingly relates how Turner said she held a gun to Barker's head while he slept, then thought, "Is this bastard worth the rest of my life in prison? The end of my career? Everyone's life ruined?" When Barker awoke in the morning, Turner ordered him out of the house. They were divorced, but to avoid a scandal, Cheryl says, no criminal action was taken against Barker.

by Anonymousreply 8812/01/2012

Did we really get to 5 pages without mentioning that Johnny Stompanato was allegedly packing something in the vicinity of 11 inches?

by Anonymousreply 8912/01/2012

Thanks for the info, r82. I feel like a jerk for what I said earlier.

by Anonymousreply 9012/01/2012

You welcome 87 :)

Hehe, you can call me whatever you want if it is with affection. I'm not only focusing on Lana, i like a lot of actors and actresses of the Old Hollywood and i love paying a kind of tribute to them.

R88, the article you sent us saddened me and made me anger again, although i knew that Barker abused Cheryl. How people like Barker can be so...impossible? I don't get that kind of people, they are presentable and above suspicion until someone finds out the ugly truth about them. It is shocking and it upsets my stomach and i'm not prude or a saint. I think that the greatest mistake of Lana was that she didn't report Barker to the police. That was very serious. Lana didn't have the strength and obviously couldn't be in the right mind to do that. She was shocked and she decided to delete it as if it didn't exist. That was a huge mistake, but as all people Lana had her own taboos. Her taboos wronged her daughter and she couldn't face it. Anyway, at least Cheryl managed to rationalize all this in a book and to move on. All these tragedies didn't make Cheryl to bear a grudge against her mother. She needed to keep her love for her mum and she obviously did that. Fortunately, Lana was capable at the last years of her life to be more peaceful, intimate and close to her daughter. It's never too late if you are willing to try and you don't get frustrated or scared from your first tries. You have to be positively persistent. However, i must confess that Lana was lucky that had a daughter like Cheryl. Cheryl was willing to try to be close and not mean to her mother, despite all the shit that happened to her. I have no idea if someone else in her place could handle this as she did.

by Anonymousreply 9112/01/2012

R79, it's ok. :)

You are kind enough, otherwise, you wouldn't feel sorry. Chin up now!

by Anonymousreply 9212/01/2012

I don't know if you're familiar with "Janbot," the rather unhinged Janet Jackson troll who makes appearances on her threads. She wasn't named Janbot affectionately, so I just wanted to make the distinction.

You're not from the U.S. originally? (I used to teach ESL many years ago) Your English is fantastic, I just notice little things because I used to teach.

by Anonymousreply 9312/01/2012

Although the scandal involving Lex Barker was never brought to court or publicized, I am assuming that it ended Lex Barker's career in Hollywood.

Did he make any notable films after he divorced Lana? What was the rest of his life like? Did he also marry Arlene Dahl?

by Anonymousreply 9412/01/2012

As bad as he was, Steven Crane must have been Lana's (relatively) best husband. Artie Shaw was another louse.

Who are we leaving out?

by Anonymousreply 9512/01/2012

Husband #5 Fred May was considered by Lana to be her best husband. He was a nice, successful guy. He had no interest in using her or getting to her money. Lana blamed herself for that marriage falling apart as apparently he wasn't dangerous enough for her and she got bored. They remained friends and he advised her to invest her Imitiation of Life money in real estate and that helped ensure that she was very well off for the rest of her life. Cheryl Crane also thought he was the best of Lana's husbands (except for her dad, but naturally she had a bias for her dad).

by Anonymousreply 9612/01/2012

Stephen Crane was hott! Total BDF, too. You can see why Lana was attracted to him.

by Anonymousreply 9712/01/2012

BD was the source of attraction with all her men.

by Anonymousreply 9812/01/2012

According to the TCM bio (thanks for posting btw!) Lana married 2 more times after Lex Barker, who followed Bob Topping, who followed Steve Crane, who followed Artie Shaw.

But that only adds up to a mere 6 husbands. Who am I forgeting?

So if Fred May was #6, who was #7? And where are their photos?

by Anonymousreply 9912/01/2012

From IMDb:

Ronald Pellar (9 May 1969 - 26 January 1972) (divorced)

Robert P. Eaton (22 June 1965 - 1 April 1969) (divorced)

Frederick May (27 November 1960 - 15 October 1962) (divorced)

Lex Barker (8 September 1953 - 22 July 1957) (divorced)

Henry J. Topping, Jr. (26 April 1948 - 12 December 1952) (divorced)

Stephen Crane (14 March 1943 - 21 August 1944) (divorced) 1 child

Stephen Crane (17 July 1942 - 4 February 1943) (annulled)

Artie Shaw (13 February 1940 - 12 September 1940) (divorced)

by Anonymousreply 10012/01/2012

Here's a pic of Lana with John Gavin and Fred May around the time of Imitation of Life.

by Anonymousreply 10112/01/2012

Towards the end, Lana lived in Century City in a condo. I worked there and one night I realized she was next to me at a light. She was about a year away from dying. She was driving a silver Cadillac Seville and smoking. Her hair was fashionably cut, her collar up, and she looked elegant.

John Gavin was one of the only actors on Henry Willson's roster who didn't have to fuck him (unlike RJ Wagner and Tab Hunter). He came from money and Willson knew he could say fuck you once he started getting jobs as well. Sadly, Gavin turned into a big Republican.

by Anonymousreply 10212/01/2012

"Crane chillingly relates how Turner said she held a gun to Barker's head while he slept, then thought, "Is this bastard worth the rest of my life in prison? The end of my career? Everyone's life ruined?""

I wonder what would have happend if she'd shot him? All sorts of illegalities were covered up in those days, the LAPD did whatever the studios wanted. So if she'd put the gun in his hand after shooting him, and told the investigators that he'd shot himself after she confronted him about the child rape... would it have been covered up?

I also wonder if the incident had any bearing on shooting Stomponato. Once you steel yourself to shoot one rat-bastard, maybe it's easier to go through with it the next time.

by Anonymousreply 10312/01/2012

Except that Stompanato was stabbed not shot, though I get your basic point r103.

If Cheryl didn't bring the knife with her from the kitchen, how would it logically have been in the bedroom for Lana to use? Or did people believe Cheryl brought the knife up as self-protection but Lana did the fatal stabbing?

by Anonymousreply 10412/01/2012

I read Cheryl's book and it was powerful. I felt like she was definitely telling the truth. Lana wouldn't take Stompanato to the 1958 Oscars. She knew he wasn't red carpet-ready. Cheryl says they argued about it in Lana's bedroom and she heard him say he will destroy Lana's face. Cheryl runs to get a knife, goes back upstairs, the door opens, and he kinds of walks into the knife. Lana gave a much-publicized melodramatic accounting on the witness stand. Some said it was the greatest role of her career. But did she know Cheryl couldn't be charged? That she could get away with it? I don't think so. I can't imagine her doing that to her daughter. She would have claimed self-defense. Cheryl could have been her witness.

After this incident, Cheryl became a juvenile delinquent, and who could blame her. She had a lot of adventures. And her love story is wonderful. It's true that Lana loved them both.

Cheryl made a lot of money in Hawaiian real estate on her own and seems to have inherited the business acumen of her father. For what she's gone through, I think she's turned out to be a wonderful person.

by Anonymousreply 10512/01/2012

I haven't read Cheryl's book "Detour" in many years. I need to check it out again.

by Anonymousreply 10612/01/2012

[quote]Stephen Crane (14 March 1943 - 21 August 1944) (divorced) 1 child

Stephen Crane (17 July 1942 - 4 February 1943) (annulled)

It looks like Lana divorced Stephen only to find put that she got pregnant and had to remarry Stephen again only one month after divorcing him in order to bring Cheryl in a marriage. Once Cheryl was born, they divorced.

by Anonymousreply 10712/01/2012

I believe Steve Crane owned the Luau - a restaurant my family frequented when I was young, especially when my dad was out of town on business. It was great for kids - a lot of Pier 1 kind of furnishings (before there was a Pier 1), glass balls in netting, etc. The interior walls were crafted to look like stone cave walls. It had a little - very little - stream and bridge at the entrance. It was like movie set and you can imagine how much a 10 year-old would love it.

by Anonymousreply 10812/01/2012

IIRC, according to the TCM documentary, Lana had a very badly done abortion when she was married to Artie Shaw so I assume she couldn't/wouldn't consider an abortion with Crane.

She had to have the baby and was far too famous to hide away so her only choice was to remarry Crane and perhaps Baby Cheryl even kept them together a little longer than what otherwise might have been.

by Anonymousreply 10912/01/2012

That's right. The Luau. Cheryl talks about working there and gaining all of her business knowledge there with her father. It sounds like a great place. Too bad it's gone with the wind.

by Anonymousreply 11012/01/2012

[quote]Crane was finally moved to tell her story in 1985, when she read My Mother's Keeper, by B.D. Hyman, Bette Davis' daughter. Hyman had dredged up a persistent rumor that Stompanato and Cheryl were lovers. This time Crane was ready to put the rumor to rest. Encouraged by her longtime lover, Joyce "Josh" LeRoy, Crane had come to believe the past should be confronted, not buried. When LeRoy told her one evening over drinks, "I think it was a very brave and noble thing to go to your mother's defense," Crane was astounded. "No one had ever said that what I had done could have been anything but monstrous," Crane wrote. "My life changed."

by Anonymousreply 11112/02/2012

BD Hyman: What a CUNT!

by Anonymousreply 11212/02/2012

Guys, you are all very well-informed. You are aces!

Lana with Cheryl.

by Anonymousreply 11312/02/2012

BD Hyman is the worst of the worst. She couldn't wait until her mother passed away to write her stupid hack job book. Now she's some kind of wacko preacher living in Connecticut. I'm glad she passed along the false rumor about Cheryl in My Mother's Keeper. It gave Cheryl the courage to come out and tell the whole story in Detour. And she is a far better writer than BD Hyman.

When Lana read Cheryl's book, she told her daughter she was proud of her. Any good memoir writer knows you have to show the good with the bad. Cheryl went through absolute hell and, in later years, forged a close bond with the mother she admitted played more of a "long cameo role" in her life than a starring role when she was growing up.

BD Hyman didn't even deserve a cameo role, yet Davis gave her everything in life. She was raised like a princess, even getting a part in Baby Jane. She brags about the movie star life she was exposed to while at the same time destroying her mother, the movie star who made it all possible. Ugh.

Read Detour. Ignore My Mother's Keeper. Hyman never honored her mother. Cheryl does.

by Anonymousreply 11412/02/2012

This is the photo that caused some of the sick speculation about Stompanato and Cheryl. He's shamelessly ogling her, Lana looks disgusted, and a 15-year-old Cheryl is trying to be polite so as not to ruin one of her mother's photo opps.

Cheryl spoke of her fond feelings about Stompanato before she slowly became aware of exactly who he was. He bought her a Thunderbird and a horse and was very attentive. Lana didn't like it. Cheryl didn't want it. But she liked him in the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 11512/02/2012

I agree with you R114. Bette Davis' daughter wrote her book secretly, without warning her mother first. That was not honest of her, she acted cowardly and she hit Bette below the belt. Bette was a difficult person, alright, but it was so inelegant for a child who had the life and the economical support from her mother to be so negative about her. She should weigh more carefully her material and she should not be so relentless. That was shallow of her. She should write about her mother's good sides too. From the other hand, if a daughter hate so much her mother, well something wrong must have done that mother...Maybe.

And yes, Cheryl indeed honored her mother. If someone read her books about Lana, especially the 'Lana:The Memories,The Myths, The Movies', it's obvious that she did that and not with insincerity but with a good will.

by Anonymousreply 11612/02/2012

Lana Turner with co-star John Garfield and the director of the movie 'The Postman Always Rings Twice' Tay Garnett. Lana and Garfield had an affection for Garnett because he was in a difficult stage of his personal life and they both tried to keep him sober by keeping him company during the film. They also admired him and respected him as a director.

by Anonymousreply 11712/04/2012

Yet Cheryl Crane goes on in the TCM documentary to say that Lana was very disappointed by the casting of Garfield in Postman, feeling he wasn't handsome or sexy enough for her and she became unhappy during the shoot because of him.

That seems strange, as by most standards, Garfield was quite handsome. I wonder if his Group Theater intensity as an actor or perhaps a more intellectual approach to his acting techniques intimidated her?

Was Garfield ever a contract player at MGM?

by Anonymousreply 11812/04/2012

R118, John Garfield had not a contract with MGM. His contract was with Warner Bros. However, Warner Bros lent him to MGM for the making of the movies 'Tortilla Flat' and 'The Postman Always Rings Twice'.

It's true that Lana was never sexually attracted to John Garfield but as far as i know from what i have read about that, she had a friendly relationship with him and she didn't dislike him as a person.

Below there is a photo of Lana with John Garfield in Laguna Beach, filming "The Postman Always Rings Twice" (As a matter of fact,this is a break from the actual filming)

by Anonymousreply 11912/04/2012

Did Lana ever make it with her Love Has Many Faces' costar Hugh O'Brian?

He was certainly her type. But I wonder if he was too much of a gentleman for her?

by Anonymousreply 12012/04/2012

r119's photo of Lana and Garfield is strangely hot.

by Anonymousreply 12112/04/2012

Rare Lana Turner photo

by Anonymousreply 12312/11/2012

This scene from 'The Three Musketeers' is so funny. Poor June Allyson (i mean her role in the movie)! Lana played a wicked character in this film and fooled the character of Allyson.

by Anonymousreply 12412/11/2012

According to Cheryl, Frederick May was the best husband of Lana.

Lana and Frederick May in the photo below

by Anonymousreply 12512/11/2012

With Fred May again.

by Anonymousreply 12612/11/2012

Lana with the worst of her husband Lex Barker. He was the worst, cause he abused Cheryl, Lana's daughter, behind Lana's back.

by Anonymousreply 12712/14/2012

Lana fell head over heels for that bastard (Lex Barker)

Poor Lana if she only knew back then!

by Anonymousreply 12812/14/2012

LANA TURNER '50 Husband Bob Topping Camera Fashion Helen Rose Vtg Orig Photo

by Anonymousreply 12912/28/2012

Postcard Old Photo Hollywood Lana Turner inspecting new cotton stockings

by Anonymousreply 13012/28/2012

Vintage Lana Turner '39 gorgeous early MGM DBW Portrait by Willinger

by Anonymousreply 13112/28/2012

Lana Turner Vintage Photo Glamour Portrait from "Rains Of Ranchipur" 1955

by Anonymousreply 13212/28/2012

Lana had the quality of a star

by Anonymousreply 13312/28/2012

Lana in 'Peyton Place'

by Anonymousreply 13412/28/2012

Lana with the love of her life (according to her) Tyrone Power.

by Anonymousreply 13512/28/2012

A rare stunning photo of Lana

by Anonymousreply 13612/28/2012

From 'Somewhere I'll Find You' (1942)

by Anonymousreply 13712/28/2012

A rare photo of Lana with her daughter Cheryl Crane

by Anonymousreply 13812/28/2012

1985 Press Photo Lana Turner American Actress ABC

by Anonymousreply 13912/28/2012

Lana Turner's magic

by Anonymousreply 14012/28/2012

Lana Turner 1954

Sexy, eh?

by Anonymousreply 14112/28/2012

With Edmund Purdom for 'The Prodigal'

Cheryl Crane in Lana's biography says that her mother actually disliked Edmund Purdom.

by Anonymousreply 14212/28/2012

Laraine Day, Lana Turner busty, Lew Ayres VINTAGE Photo Calling Dr. Kildare

by Anonymousreply 14312/28/2012

Lana in 'A Life of Her Own'

by Anonymousreply 14412/28/2012

"Keep Your Powder Dry" Lana Turner, Laraine Day

by Anonymousreply 14512/28/2012

Lana riding

by Anonymousreply 14612/28/2012

Lana close to sunny waters...

by Anonymousreply 14712/28/2012

OP, is "mother" only half of a word?

by Anonymousreply 14812/28/2012

Catty R148!

A very sweet Lana in the photo below

by Anonymousreply 14912/28/2012

by Anonymousreply 15012/28/2012

One more sexy vintage photo of Miss Turner

by Anonymousreply 15112/28/2012

One well known photo of Lana

I sent it cause i like it...

Don't you?

by Anonymousreply 15212/28/2012

With the biggest asshole of her husbands Lex Barker

God, she must have been really smitten with him

by Anonymousreply 15312/28/2012

With her first husband Artie Shaw.

Artie wanted Lana to be less glamorous and to dress less provocatively and he was forcing her to read...Nietzsche!

by Anonymousreply 15412/28/2012

Guys what do you think of Lana????

by Anonymousreply 15512/29/2012

She was alluring!

by Anonymousreply 15612/31/2012

by Anonymousreply 15712/31/2012

Well I'm sure the children that she murdered didn't like her and the ones that made it out of her womb, didn't care for her much either.

by Anonymousreply 15812/31/2012

R158 you don't speak clearly so i guess nobody who is in their right mind would pay attention to you.

by Anonymousreply 15912/31/2012

by Anonymousreply 16001/02/2013

Lana Turner & Cheryl Crane visited Bimbo’s 365 Club!

True Bimbo’s 365 Club story: Lana Turner and her daughter Cheryl Crane dined at our club! This photo was taken a few years before the glamorous starlet and her daughter were entangled in one of Hollywood’s most talked-about crimes. The tempestuous Ms. Turner was known to have been the center of attention all throughout evening. The famed beauty and Academy-Award nominated star of “Peyton Place” and “The Postman Always Rings Twice” was known to have had an extravagant lifestyle and was not shy of the admiring spotlight that evening. Seated to the right of Ms. Turner was Mr. Bimbo’s dear friend, Fred Maxwell of Maxwell Galleries, the man responsible for connecting the painter Julian Ritter to the club. They all had a great time in true Bimbo’s 365 Club form. As Mr. Bimbo used to say, “There’s never a bad show at the 365 Club!”

by Anonymousreply 16101/04/2013

Lana playing with her baby girl Cheryl

by Anonymousreply 16201/04/2013

[quote]Was she a bad mother?

No, never!

by Anonymousreply 16301/04/2013

There is a rumor that Lana had an affair with young Jack Nicholson. Does anybody know anything about that? Kiss and tell!

by Anonymousreply 16401/05/2013

Since she didn't like sex with men she should of became a lesbian like her daughter.

by Anonymousreply 16501/05/2013

R165 she liked sex. Sex is not only penetration but i guess she was having that too in a regular basis when she was younger. Anyway below there is Lana with Van Heflin on the set for 'The Three Musketeers

by Anonymousreply 16601/09/2013

Lana Turner and Richard Hart in 'Green Dolphin Street'

by Anonymousreply 16701/09/2013

One more from 'Green Dolphin Street'...

by Anonymousreply 16801/09/2013

The last time I was in Cheyl's office in Palm Springs, she had tons of Lana memorabilia everywhere. She certainly didn't mind using mom to get business. She was a realtor. This was a few years ago. Not sure if she is still working since she is getting up in age. Her girlfriend, 'Josh', seemed very protective of her. Cheryl was quite nice and friendly whenever I'd see her out in PS. She seemed quite well adjusted for all she'd been through.

by Anonymousreply 16901/09/2013

R169 i doubt that Cheryl is still working as a realtor. I suppose she is focused on writing her books. I wonder if after 'Imitation of Death' she has something else to publish. That would be cool.

by Anonymousreply 17001/09/2013

Lana again on the set of 'The Postman Always Rings Twice' with John Garfield and the director Tay Garnett

by Anonymousreply 17101/09/2013

A sensual take of Lana

by Anonymousreply 17201/09/2013

Overtly flirtatious for 'The Rains of Ranchipur'

by Anonymousreply 17301/09/2013

Portrait of Richard Burton and Lana Turner in "The Rains of Ranchipur" directed by Jean Negulesco, 1955

by Anonymousreply 17401/09/2013

She is putting on...her records.

by Anonymousreply 17501/13/2013

[on Lana Turner and Fernando Lamas’ affair) “From the sounds coming through the wall between Lana’s dressing room and mine, I could tell that she and Fernando weren’t going over lines. I’m afraid I was a bit curious, but then, how could i resist? I placed an empty glass against the wall between our rooms and pressed my ear to it… ‘Oh, Fernando, oh, Fernando,’ Lana moaned.”

- Esther Williams, The Million Dollar Mermaid

by Anonymousreply 17601/13/2013

Lana Turner engrossed in her reading...

by Anonymousreply 17702/20/2013

Lana Turner in the early 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 17803/13/2013

Excerpts from the book 'Ava Gardner:Love is Nothing' by Lee Server

Not long after the affair began in earnest, Ava ran into her friend Lana Turner. It was an encounter she had been avoiding. Lana had been crazy for Frank a couple of years before, spoken of herself as 'engaged' to him despite his marital status, and she had back then confided to Ava many details about their passionate love life. Indeed, that first night Ava had gone to bed with Sinatra, she had been unavoidably reminded of the earlier affair and Lana's giddy rants about Frank's priapic endowment;she found out that Lana had not exaggerated those dimensions in the slightest(Sinatra naked, said pal Jackie Gleason, looked like a tuning fork).

The Sinatra-Turner affair, though, had ended abruptly and terribly, with Lana rather brutally dumped.

'Darling', she said now,'I hear you've been seeing Frank. You haven't fallen for him, have you?'

'We're in love baby', said Ava.'

Lana gripped her by the forearm. 'Don't let him hurt you, sweetie. He'll lead you on, he'll tell you whatever you want to hear, but you mustn't believe him.'

'We've gone for each other', said Ava. 'This is for keeps.'

'He'll never leave that wife of his.I'm warning you.'

'He's going to leave her if he wants to be with me. And he does.'

'Have they separated, darling? I haven't read anything in the papers about it.'

by Anonymousreply 17905/25/2013

Gee R180!

by Anonymousreply 18105/25/2013

Lana you are lost little girl...

by Anonymousreply 18205/29/2013

Still not working? Check this link, i hope it does this time.

by Anonymousreply 18305/29/2013

Ricardo Montalban, Lana Turner and Dale Robertson on the set of the film Latin Lovers

by Anonymousreply 18405/29/2013

R162 - that picture is very disturbing. Really creepy.

by Anonymousreply 18505/29/2013

Lol R185, why you find this one disturbing? Imfao! You rat!

Guys, did anyone of you read Turner's autobiography Lana:The Lady, the Legend, the Truth?

Why there aren't any new copies of this book in Amazon? It's so strange when there are so many other books about less popular old actors and actresses than Lana out there.

The same goes about Detour by Cheryl Crane. Is there a kind of policy behind that?

The only book that is easily available about Lana Turner is LANA: The Memories, the Myths, the Movies. I think that there is something behind this....

Did Cheryl bought all the copies of her mother's autobiography and of her first biography of her mother(Detour)in order to sell her second book about her mom?

by Anonymousreply 18605/30/2013

I believe that poor Stompanato was mad about Lana. If he wasn't abusive, that shit would never happen. Why he was hitting Lana and making these ugly threats i mean?

by Anonymousreply 18705/30/2013

Lana Turner in 1947's Green Dolphin Street.....her 3rd biggest box office hit of all-time.

by Anonymousreply 18805/30/2013

R188, what does "of all-time" mean in this context?

by Anonymousreply 18905/30/2013

R189, it means that you need to improve your English.

by Anonymousreply 19005/30/2013

Pinning a murder rap on your daughter, or the lifelong antics of Mommie Dearest are both so beyond the norm that it's difficult to say whether Lana Turner or Joan Crawford was a worse mother.

Oooh -- I am reminded that my mother, who was actually pretty good, over all, once decided to distract me before I went in for some childhood surgery. She read me a story: Medea.

No kidding.

by Anonymousreply 19105/30/2013

R191, maybe Lana didn't pin a murder rap on her daughter. Maybe her daughter indeed was the killer. Have you ever thought of that? speak as if you are sure of Lana Turner's guilt. How can you know? Were you there?

by Anonymousreply 19205/30/2013

Lana Turner in the campy film 'The Big Cube'

A really trashy movie, but at least there was Lana in it.

by Anonymousreply 19305/30/2013

[quote] How can you know? Were you there?

Aren't these fairly disingenuous questions?

by Anonymousreply 19405/30/2013

*pats R194's head

Stop it baby.

by Anonymousreply 19505/30/2013

R181, 182, 183, 184, 186. 187,188, 190, 192 & 193, I'm sorry; I didn't realize that I was interrupting your conversation with yourself. But I do wonder what the words "of all time" add to R188. If you'd simply said that it was her third greatest hit, is that different from her "third greatest hit of all time"?

by Anonymousreply 19605/30/2013

R196 i read it from an article, i copied-pasted it, i didn't make it up myself. Stop being a stubborn bitch, ok? Relax now, aggressive doggie and be nice, if you can.

*sighs and smiles forcefully

Now, i will post some excerpts from the autobiography of Roger Moore that has to do with his collaboration with Lana in the movie Diane(1956)

'One good thing thing that came out of the film was that i learned how to kiss. Though pushing twenty-eight, with two marriages under my belt, my technique was brought into question. In a dreadful scene, after Diane had been engaged by the King to turn his lout of a son into a gentleman, news of the King's death broke. I had to turn to Lana Turner and say, 'You made me a prince, now made me a king.' Our lips met and i gave her the kiss of all time. She coughed, pushed me back and said, 'Cut, cut!' Then, 'Honey, you're a great kisser but when a lady's over thirty-five she has to be careful of her neckline. So, could you kiss with the same passion, but without the pressure?' Passion without pressure. I'm forever grateful to Lana.

by Anonymousreply 19705/30/2013

Roger Moore continues in his autobiography about the filming of 'Diane':

We were filming in cinemascope, which has a wide frame, and i, as King Henry, had to lead all the horses out and, fairly quickly, to bring them all into shot in time. I kicked the horse with my spurs to move forward, and somehow or other, because of the metal footwear, lost the stirrups. I tried to grip on with my metal knees and the horse was going flat-out as we approached the far end of the back lot. Realizing there was no more path lying ahead, the horse turned right...and, bless Isaac Newton, i continued straight ahead. Coming to, it was as though as i was in an operating theatre with the sun beaming down, and all these faces looking at me. I heard them say,'Cut his armour off.' Then Lana came into frame and said, 'Is his cock all right?'

Let me explain. When we were filming, in between takes we would take it in turns to tell funny stories. One of our favourite stories was from director David Miller. Apparently the great opera singer Enzio Pinza was making his debut at the Met in New York. The auditorium was filled with tiaras, diamond chokers and gentlemen resplendent in white tie. As the music piped up, Pinza walked on to the stage, only for a drunk in the front row to shout out 'Sing “Melancholy Baby“.'

The music stopped, 'Ssh!' came the call from the management. The maestro tapped his baton, and the music started again.

'Sing “Melancholy Baby“', shouted the drunk again. Well, this happened three times before Pinza walked to the front of the stage, holding his hand below his eye level to stop the glaze of the footlights in his eyes. 'I do not know-a the “Melancholy Baby“, he said.

'Well, show us your cock then!' replied the drunk.

This story never failed to make the whole cast of 'Diane' curl up with laughter. And it was to this that Lana was referring after my unfortunate accident. Thankfully, nothing was broken, not even my cock, but i was badly bruised, as was my ego. Having spent an uncomfortable night in the Queen of Angels hospital, i was discharged the next day, and the day after that reported back to the studio.

by Anonymousreply 19805/30/2013

I post another incident that happened during that time, from Roger Moore's autobiography.

'I enjoyed visiting the set after for the lavish party though, and boy, what a wonderful setting it was! Being a nightclub, there were steps down to the dance floor and i sat on one of them with my drink in hand. Lana Turner came in behind me, sat down and started massaging my shoulders. I was rather enjoying it, to be honest, when i heard a male voice saying, 'Hi, honey.' Lana immediately stopped massaging me. I turned around and there was Lex Barker, her husband-a-six-foot-five giant. I got the message.'

by Anonymousreply 19905/30/2013

Lana rocked with Ava!

by Anonymousreply 20007/21/2013

Lana loved talking to the phone

by Anonymousreply 20107/21/2013

What words come in your mind when it comes to Lana? How do you feel about her image?

by Anonymousreply 20207/22/2013

R203 i guess you haven't seen Lana in 'The Bad and The Beautiful'. She could be awesome!

Especially the moment she breaks down inside of her car is a proof of what a good actress she could be.

by Anonymousreply 20407/22/2013

KING: Now you, in your book you wrote that you were sexually molested at age 10 by your stepfather, who was Lex Barker, right, one of the Tarzans.

CRANE: Yes, that's correct.

KING: Did you tell your mother what happened?

CRANE: Well, you know, I was so terrified to tell anyone. And we know so much more about it today.

KING: You were 10?

CRANE: I was 10. And he threatened that if I told anyone I would be the one to be sent away. And I believed him. And children believe adults. And I think if anything that came out of that is the fact that anyone that is having this problem, I don't care you know who they are today, go tell somebody because there is help. And as child, you don't realize that you can be -- somebody can step in and stop it.

KING: What a mark that leaves.

CRANE: Well, I think it certainly took me some years to come to terms with it. But...

KING: What was it like then to be with your mom and dad after you knew what your stepfather had done to you?

CRANE: In those days Larry, you didn't talk about things.

KING: You didn't tell year father?

CRANE: I told my father. Oh, yes. I mean, first I told my grandmother, who was my mother's mother, my rock, who you know, really kind of raised me. And she insisted I then tell my mother, but this was after three years of it going on.

KING: What did your father do?

CRANE: He luckily was in the hospital. He had had an operation or I think we have gotten up and killed him. I really do. He was so angry.

KING: So you tell your mother years later and she says what? Is she still married to him when you tell her?

CRANE: Oh, yes. This was after three years. And she -- I was at my grandmother's. She went home. She went upstairs. He was sleeping. The story she tells me she stock a gun from the bedside table and held it to his head. And he woke up and said, you know, "What's going on?" And the interesting thing was that she didn't say anything to him, just said "Get Out."

And he said to her, "I don't know what your daughter told you but she's lying." And my mother hadn't mentioned me. So, you know, it was like -- she realized at that point.

by Anonymousreply 20507/28/2013

What a pity Lex Barker was a perv.

Some people are psychotic monsters even if they are good-looking.

by Anonymousreply 20607/28/2013

Lana sits at the table with her husband, Lex, daughter, Cheryl and others at resturant. 13th September 1953.

by Anonymousreply 20707/28/2013

Cannes Film Festival 1953. Right Lex Barker with Donald Zec and actress Lana Turner. April 1953

by Anonymousreply 20807/28/2013

Cheryl Crane...

by Anonymousreply 20907/28/2013

This morning I watched Lana and the gorgeous young Ricardo Montalban in the 1953 MGM comedy with music Latin Lovers. Total fluff, but glamourous escapist fun. Lana was a total star and just fun. Best scene was Lana walking in a horse stable and Ricardo reaches out and grabs her for a kiss. Then she stumbles away and then tells her secretary Jean Hagen "I saw a man. He kissed me. I liked it. I liked it very much. Now what do I do?"

by Anonymousreply 21007/28/2013

Omg, R210, yes this movie is very underrated. I mean it's certainly not a masterpiece, but it is so entertaining and cute! I loved that scene too. What a pity this movie hasn't been released on dvd on Amazon. There is only on VHS in

by Anonymousreply 21107/30/2013

Love Has Many Faces

by Anonymousreply 21208/05/2013

Did Lana enjoy sex with Lex Barker or he was brutal to her like he was with her daughter?

by Anonymousreply 21311/16/2013

Grace Kelly, two Lana Turner dolls, Marilyn Monroe & Elvis Presley

by Anonymousreply 21401/14/2014

Vincente Minnelli and Lana Turner confer on set for The Bad and the Beautiful:

by Anonymousreply 21501/15/2014

Producer Ross Hunter escorts Lana Turner & Constance Bennett to the premiere of "Madame X"

I have read that Turner and Bennett didn't exactly get along during Madame X...

by Anonymousreply 21601/15/2014

[all posts by tedious, racist idiot removed.]

by Anonymousreply 21701/23/2014

Poor Constance Bennett was dead by the time Madame X premiered.

She had harangued her agent Sue Mengers often and loudly about her billing in the film, insisting that her name, which by her supporting actress status would be listed low, be framed by a box.

At Connie's funeral, as the casket passed by, Sue gleefully announced: "Well, Connie got her box!"

by Anonymousreply 21801/23/2014

Keep it a secret…"Latin Lovers" is now up on youtube for free viewing.

Warners probably won't pull it off as it is not a movie that would generate any revenue on DVD.

by Anonymousreply 21901/23/2014

by Anonymousreply 22001/25/2014

I suspect that Lex Barker was a Nazi. No kidding here. Did you know that there is only a biography of him written in German? Germans seemed to pay much attention to him and to his movies, more attention actually than Americans did or do. There is not even a book about Lex Barker written in English. There is only the German book about him...

In addition, in Kirk Douglas' book 'Climbing the Mountain:My Search for Meaning', Kirk writes:

I will never forget my invitation to become a member of the Westside Tennis Club when i First got noticed in Hollywood. Lex Barker, better known as Tarzan, showed me the facilities and then whispered confidentially,'Of course, Kirk, you understand we can't run a club the way we do back East. Here we have to let in a few Jews.' When i retorted, 'I am a Jew,' he became flustered. He wasn't a bad guy; that was just the way it was. Or is it still that way?

by Anonymousreply 22105/08/2014

Carrie Masters (Lana Turner) informing her cat of some sinister information regarding her son's origins

by Anonymousreply 22206/30/2014

A 1937 photo, featuring Lana Turner at age 17,

by Anonymousreply 22312/10/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!