Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Irritating comments by homebuyers on HGTV shows

"There's no bathtub in the master suite? What kind of master suite doesn't have a bath tub?" %0D %0D "These cabinets look dated." %0D %0D "I wanted stainless steel appliances." %0D %0D "This is the master suite? It's TINY!" %0D %0D What else?

by Anonymousreply 34101/26/2015

There's a closet in the guest room for your clothes, honey."

by Anonymousreply 102/23/2011

by Anonymousreply 202/23/2011

"It only has one sink, I really wanted double sinks"

"I really wanted a walk in closet"

by Anonymousreply 302/23/2011

"This room can be used for your office honey"

by Anonymousreply 402/24/2011

"Is that veletion (sic) plaster?

by Anonymousreply 502/24/2011

This will do for my closet, where will you clothes go, dear.

by Anonymousreply 602/24/2011

If the appliances are not stainless steel---

"The appliances are outdated and there are no granite counter tops."

by Anonymousreply 702/24/2011

I was hoping for double sinks in the master bath.

by Anonymousreply 802/24/2011

This (2001) kitchen is really out of date. I'll need to buy all new stainless steel appliances and that will put me over my budget.

by Anonymousreply 902/24/2011

by Anonymousreply 1002/24/2011

"There's no pool?"

"The paint colors are really bright."

by Anonymousreply 1102/24/2011

"This yard is not big enough for fido"

by Anonymousreply 1202/24/2011

But I really hate the paint color....

by Anonymousreply 1302/24/2011

I like the open floor plan; it's good for entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 1402/24/2011

I want a three car garage.

by Anonymousreply 1502/24/2011

These comments are all on target. They all seem to want to buy the same suburban Nashville McMansion, just located in different places.

by Anonymousreply 1602/24/2011

I like/don't like the celling fan.

Buffy and Kailegh will have to share a bedroom?!

by Anonymousreply 1702/24/2011

Oh good! The kitchen has a wine cabinet...we do a lot of entertaining!

There's too much traffic along the front street. (front lawn is huge and backyard is fenced in)

"But we're only budgeted for 850,000!"

Those throw pillows don't match that couch.

I was hoping for a whirlpool bath!

by Anonymousreply 1802/24/2011

"The kitchen isn't very big" (for people who you just know don't cook shit and barely know how to boil water)%0D %0D The word "mancave," PERIOD. %0D %0D I like the two car garage. (don't own a second car and used to public transit).%0D %0D Anyone who bitches about paint colors. RE-PAINT THE FUCKING ROOM.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1902/24/2011

HGTV is really disappointing these days with all the House Hunter shows. They need to revamp the network, give us something new. Let's start with a new Design Star, minus the awful Vern Yip.

by Anonymousreply 2002/24/2011

Networks give us the drivel we demand. It's obvious from this thread that people watch these horrible shows. So why should the network do any better than drek?

by Anonymousreply 2102/24/2011

Isn't some kind of bath in the master bathroom pretty essential though?

by Anonymousreply 2202/24/2011

I like House Hunters International, but get sick of all the red state fuckers looking for a cheap, low taxed, gaudy paradise on the backs of poor brown people.

Same goes for the UK wankers looking to turn lovely Spanish and Portuguese countrysides into Chav Land.

All their comments grate.

by Anonymousreply 2302/24/2011

When going to the next house, real estate agents in Canada say "we're leaving out."

by Anonymousreply 2402/24/2011

Sometimes I wish this board had a LIKE button, like on facebook. %0D %0D I definitely would have click LIKE on r8 's post%0D %0D LOL

by Anonymousreply 2502/24/2011

"I can really see the guys coming over for poker night down here, watching the game on a big screen." Anything, just to get away from that wife who wants to use the third bedroom for her scrapbooking.

by Anonymousreply 2602/24/2011

The most annoying ones are the parents of little Dakota and Madysen who say shit like "oh, there's stairs and I'd worry about the kids" or "a pool? what if the babies fall in?". What on earth did my parents do before all this hovering and over the top safety consciousness? Maybe they let us fall down once in a while and watched us around water? Amazing that whole generations of kids grew up without helicopter parents.

by Anonymousreply 2702/24/2011

"this house isnt going to work, because we dont like the carpet in the living room and the bonus room is really too big"

by Anonymousreply 2802/24/2011

"We want a newer home in the historic district and that's close to work."

by Anonymousreply 2902/24/2011

We need a least a five bedroom home. We will each need a room for our offices, one for a workout room and one for when parents visit and of course the master suite.

by Anonymousreply 3002/24/2011

I NEED a goddam fucking MUD room!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3102/24/2011

I don't think the master bedroom suite is big enough for our furniture.

by Anonymousreply 3202/24/2011

The master bath is a little small, and we really need [bold]at least[/bold] two sinks.

by Anonymousreply 3402/24/2011

Hate the ones who go on and on about carpet, paint and even the furniture, criticizing all. Bitch you are not purchasing the furniture and paint and carpet can be easily redone. I saw one hh even comment on how the owner's cat was too fat.

by Anonymousreply 3502/24/2011

Is that all (there is)?

by Anonymousreply 3602/24/2011

This second master bedroom suite would be perfect for my scrapbooking room!

by Anonymousreply 3702/24/2011

We could add irritating things said by the realtors. My hands down favorite is "And you'll enjoy this. The dining room is right off the kitchen." And many other variations pointing out that the dining room is right off/connected to the kitchen. Over time, I have stopped screaming at the TV.

by Anonymousreply 3802/24/2011

In a house from the 1840s. Are those the original floors?

by Anonymousreply 3902/24/2011

[quote]I like House Hunters International, but get sick of all the red state fuckers looking for a cheap, low taxed, gaudy paradise on the backs of poor brown people.

PLEASE run for President, R23! Or marry me.

by Anonymousreply 4002/24/2011

I was watching HHI the other night and a very young couple were looking for a place in one of those S. American countries on the beach. The girl was a whiny little bitch princess and nothing was good enough for her. They don't seem to realize they are not in the US or Canada (in her case). She bitched about the kitchens not being modern and big enough, not enough bathrooms, guest rooms not big enough. The husband was getting visibly pissed off at her because his budget was only $500K and she was bitching about every place in their budget. The place they finally decided on was a lovely little native looking house right on the beach I would kill for and sure enough, showing them move in, she was bitching about the bright colors and beachy decor and she never wanted to see another fish again and hubby promising to knock down walls and redo the kitchen for her, the kitchen was fine. Closing scene was a bunch of surfer dudes right out of the frat house pulling in and her giggling amongst them.

by Anonymousreply 4102/24/2011

"I love how the light comes in through the windows!"

What the hell ELSE is the light going do do?

by Anonymousreply 4202/24/2011

This house is only 3000 square feet. How can two adults and two children possibly fit in this small of a space?

by Anonymousreply 4302/24/2011

Honey, let's keep looking; I think I saw a neighbor with cornrows.

by Anonymousreply 4402/24/2011

The backyard is too small for the dogs.

by Anonymousreply 4602/24/2011

"There aren't enough bathrooms or closets!" - In a house built in the 19th century.%0D %0D "The kitchen is too small and the appliances aren't up-to-date!" - Said by an eating-disordered bitch who never cooks and barely eats.

by Anonymousreply 4702/24/2011

As has been posted in here many times before.... House Hunters is completely fake. The house hunters are required to be in escrow on a house before them will come and shoot the phony and scripted "hunt". The result of the hunt is that the house already in escrow is "selected" and fake papers are signed.

In Canada this is illegal and the Canadian first time buyers shows (even those filmed in the USA) are all real.

by Anonymousreply 4802/24/2011

Um, R48, most us do not have Asperger's therefore are not bothered by the fact that this is not in real time. Try not to fret.

by Anonymousreply 4902/24/2011

Most annoying comments, as others have posted deal with the color of the rooms, double sinks, the lack of granite counters, and the lack of stainless steel appliances.

Whatever happened to painting the rooms the color you like once you've moved in, and renovating kitchens or bathrooms when you can afford to?

Can someone explain to me the desirability of closets in bathrooms? Won't your clothes get mildewy?

As for the International House Hunters shows, I like the ones where people are buying in foreign capitals or foreigners are buying in their own countries. The latter demonstrates just how greedy and privileged Americans are. As someone noted, the episodes that highlight Americans buying vacation homes in Costa Rica or elsewhere are awful!

by Anonymousreply 5002/24/2011

Yes, the show is a fraud, it is still fun. None of the comments are real, who cares?

by Anonymousreply 5102/24/2011

The annoying comments are put in on purpose to get us to watch the show and it works.

by Anonymousreply 5202/24/2011

[quote]As for the International House Hunters shows, I like the ones where people are buying in foreign capitals or foreigners are buying in their own countries. The latter demonstrates just how greedy and privileged Americans are. As someone noted, the episodes that highlight Americans buying vacation homes in Costa Rica or elsewhere are awful!%0D %0D Agreed. I hate the Costa Rica, Belize, and most any episode in the Caribbean or Central America -- likewise those that feature the newly-built resort communities in Spain or Portugal. It's usually a golf community hell rather than a resort paradise.%0D %0D Why bother with House Hunters International if half the time they focus on generic sorts of properties that could be most anywhere? HHI too rarely makes a point to show some sort of architecture or setting that is characteristic or exemplary to the region (and possibly of interest for those reasons to American viewers.)%0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 5302/24/2011

Yes, HHI usually showcases brand new condos with granite and stainless steel. I prefer the houses that show the regional architecture and I love when they use the native materials. Why would anyone buy a house somewhere that looks like the one at home? I usually root for the little bungalow with the palapa and the HHI couple will go for the modern condo. Ick.

by Anonymousreply 5402/24/2011

Recently I found out that the Joan Rivers reality show about her moving to LA is a complete fake from beginning to end. I was told this by somebody who is in the show and is good friends with Joan. I was shocked. Are all of these shows fakes?

by Anonymousreply 5502/24/2011

HHI was a bit different last night. Brit guy got a wild hair to go buy a "vacation" home in....Bulgaria. Bulgaria?? Who goes on vacation to Bulgaria? Although financially it was a good deal - he got a 1600 sq ft house, on about a quarter acre of land (house actually had modern conveniences) for $21,000. Problem is, he's still in....Bulgaria.

by Anonymousreply 5602/24/2011

All reality tv is fake.

by Anonymousreply 5702/24/2011

"This won't do. We need several more guest rooms and a large dining room and a terrace for bar-b-queing and a vast eat-in kitchen, and a wine bar, [bold]because we really like to entertain.[/bold]"%0D %0D Says the Ann Arbor couple shopping for a pied-a-terre in Paris, last there on their honeymoon 22 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 5802/24/2011

Bulgaria is a beautiful country, it's like Northern California. It has huge problems with organized crime gangs and I imagine that is why they wanted to move to the city where it would be safer.

by Anonymousreply 5902/24/2011

I saw those R56/58. I thought same thing about Bulgaria, which I'm sure is lovely, but Bulgaria? I was actually shocked at how expensive those tiny little spaces in Paris were and they needed work too but ain't no way they could entertain in one.

by Anonymousreply 6002/24/2011

Oh, that was a different Bulgarian show on HH I saw. A Brit couple was living the countryside and wanted to move to the city

by Anonymousreply 6102/24/2011

I still think complaining about no bath in a master bathroom is legit.

by Anonymousreply 6202/24/2011

They are complaining there is no bath TUB in the master, just a shower stall. Geez, how many people take baths these days?

The legitimate complaints about no tub come from parents with young children - they do need a bathtub in which to bathe the kids, but why do you need it in the master bath? There's going to be a tub in the kid's bathroom, so just use that.

As for the general tone of this thread - the prospective buyers have to complain about SOMETHING, they can't just go in and say "I love this" for all three houses. So what else WOULD you have them complain about?

Half the time the "complaints" are to point out things that ARE easy to fix, like paint or carpet. A lot of people watching these shows are utterly clueless about home buying. I think at least part of the original intent of the show was to point out things to look for.

The show that really irks me is this Holmes guy who goes in and "fixes" things that are wrong in newly purchased homes. Most of the time it's because the new owner didn't bother with a home inspector. What idiot doesn't get a home inspection? And what realtor worth his license doesn't insist the buyer get a home inspection?

There are a lot of clueless idiots out there.

by Anonymousreply 6302/24/2011

A friend of mine from the UK was convinced that Bulgaria was going to be the next big vacation destination, so he invested in a development project for condos. He lost his shirt.

by Anonymousreply 6402/24/2011

Hideous Canadian couple. Thank god for once they aren't American. I cannot stand this woman.

by Anonymousreply 6502/24/2011

The agent that introduces each room, as in 'this is the bedroom' and 'this is the kitchen'

by Anonymousreply 6602/24/2011

"And what is this room for? What specifically is its use? Is this room a dining room? Is this room a bedroom?"

by Anonymousreply 6702/24/2011

The rationalizations given by prospective buyers on Selling New York when they could really sum it up with 'this just isn't ostentatious enough for us'.

by Anonymousreply 6802/24/2011

People are obsessed with this show!

by Anonymousreply 6902/24/2011

"Would you like to see the kitchen?" No thanks bitch, I'll just buy it sight unseen.

by Anonymousreply 7002/24/2011

Selling New York is unreal. These people are paying several million dollars IN CASH for these places and bitch about moldings on doorways and windowsills. People with that much money to spend can easily fix these things. The spoiled entitlement of these people is insane.

by Anonymousreply 7102/24/2011

Who's dumb enough to buy in Mexico when you can lose your home to the Mex government! I'd be worried that Costa Rica would pull that same shit with gringos.%0D %0D Recently a bunch of Americans who had bought property/houses in Baja California had the Mex government come in and appropriate their homes. They were S.O.L. with no appeal process on their side.

by Anonymousreply 7202/24/2011

None of the tours on the New York shows are real buyers, they are set-ups.

by Anonymousreply 7302/24/2011

the enormous emphasis on having the new FAD of a SOAK TUB.....%0D %0D so ridiculous%0D %0D as if they are really going to soak in a SOAK TUB all that often%0D %0D as if the house is sub-standard because it doesn't have the latest ridiculous fad of a soak tub%0D %0D so many housebuyers think they are elite

by Anonymousreply 7402/24/2011

r67, you hit it on the head! These staging shows: "People walk into this room and they DON'T know WHAT it's USED for!" Uh, it's adjacent to the kitchen, my guess is it's a dining room!

by Anonymousreply 7502/24/2011

He: "I love that it's already remodeled. We can just move in!"

He: (moan) "But it's SOMEBODY ELSE'S remodeling!"

by Anonymousreply 7602/24/2011

Selling New York uses stunt buyers. The real people who are buying those millionaire pads in Manhattan are not the sort of people who would ever want to appear on television.

by Anonymousreply 7702/24/2011

two observations: 1) the referral to a ""BONUS ROOM" by the agents - wtf is that about- very annoying - I mean, isn't it another room in the house? isn't it included in the listed squre footage? 2) I found the HHI in Berlin and houseboats in Amesterdam interesting - I have no idea as to the authenicity of the real estate market in those situations, but at least it was not the typical American suburban buyer.%0D

by Anonymousreply 7802/24/2011

[quote]Selling New York is unreal. These people are paying several million dollars IN CASH for these places and bitch about moldings on doorways and windowsills.[/quote]

If I'm paying that kind of money for an apartment it should be perfect. I'm not looking for a fixer upper.

by Anonymousreply 7902/24/2011

r65, that entitled cunt in the video actually said "closer to my budget. I intend to get my way." And it is HIS money. Oh. Just oh.

by Anonymousreply 8002/24/2011

Yeah, R80, I was watching it on tv and thinking "what a little cunt" the whole time.

by Anonymousreply 8102/24/2011

I don't like those Canadians in Nicaragua either. Brock could have killed her on that leapfrog stunt.

by Anonymousreply 8202/24/2011

[quote]If I'm paying that kind of money for an apartment it should be perfect. I'm not looking for a fixer upper.%0D %0D Fine, if you like buying someone else's taste wholesale. Why not, then, hunt until you find the perfect place, down to the pictures on the walls and the guest towels and the silverware? The previous owner can take his toothbrush and you'd be all set.%0D %0D Most buyers expect to make some changes with the purchase of a new home, and all the more so as the price climbs and matters of personal taste with it. Obviously a buyer has to weigh how much money and effort is required to make a place over to his own taste and requirements, but buyers of expensive properties usually expect to do so -- even if they sometimes get lost and stubborn in some very petty details.

by Anonymousreply 8302/24/2011

I'd like to see a new HGTV show called Househunters Downsized. It will feature those who bought more house than they could afford and have to move into a more realistic, affordable house. Like a 1964 3-bedroom ranch on a quarter acre.%0D %0D "I'm not a fan of aluminum siding"%0D %0D "Is this the original kitchen?" No, the kitchen was updated in 1988, and the honey-stained oak cabinets with brass fixtures are all custom.%0D %0D "This is the only bathroom?"

by Anonymousreply 8402/24/2011

I especially enjoy these comments when we have seen the couple storing their clothes in cardboard boxes, eating in shifts on stools at a kitchen bar, and hanging laundry in the bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 8502/24/2011

I'm so sick of hearing (mostly from fat fraus) "Gee, these rooms are sooooo small!". %0D %0D Gee, Lady, what do you expect with a budget of 100,000!

by Anonymousreply 8602/24/2011

...and then we added a bit of whimsy to the living space with a few whimsical design accents!

by Anonymousreply 8702/24/2011

"Gee, this is a nice big yard for 45.000, but we're afraid Baby Herman will toddle out into traffic because there's no fence!"

by Anonymousreply 8802/24/2011

What do you mean by ancient Indian burial ground?

by Anonymousreply 8902/24/2011

"Hey, I LOVE that huge front yard!", spoken by the husband.%0D %0D Yeah buddy, you're really gonna love MOWING that shit every fucking Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 9002/24/2011

Gee R90, you are ready for the show because they are always saying, "That's going to be a lot of mowing"

by Anonymousreply 9102/24/2011

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed how annoying that Canadian couple was. Do they still have that pumpkin-faced family of agents (mother and two daughters)on Selling New York? Love R84's idea. Barring that, I'd like to see some negative comments about things like two-storey entrance halls, as in "This much be a bitch to heat."

by Anonymousreply 9202/24/2011

Agent: "The previous owners just updated all floors recently with $5,000 worth of laminate".%0D %0D Picky Buyer: "It's got to go! Nothing will touch my feet but hardwood!"%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 9302/24/2011

I don't want to just SEE the beach! I want to be ON the beach!!!

by Anonymousreply 9402/24/2011

That Canadian couple won't have a long marriage.

by Anonymousreply 9502/24/2011

R91, I've seen plenty of episodes where they insist on the place with the huge front yard, and no mention gets made as to mowing duties.

by Anonymousreply 9602/24/2011

I want to be in the heart of Paris with over 3,000 sqare feet of living space. And don't forget the terrace view of Notre Dame!

by Anonymousreply 9702/24/2011

"Well, we didn't choose the 3,000 square foot $75,000 home with the ocean view, because we didn't like the yellow wall paper in the master bedroom".

by Anonymousreply 9802/24/2011

I don't understand why the buyers spend so much time on trivial shit. I'd be asking about the type of HVAC system, how well insulated the house is, the sewer and plumbing, the electrical wiring, the roof, and whether or not there are any hot teen male neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 9902/24/2011

Do they still have that pumpkin-faced family of agents (mother and two daughters)on Selling New York?%0D %0D YES!!%0D ******%0D RE SELLING NEW YORK which showcases the yenta and her 2 daughters. You know there's a time when you need to tone it down and dress age appropriate. She's trying way too hard with the BIRKIN BAG, tight dresses, high heels and hair parted down the middle. A few bangs would serve her well...I don't need to see that little wrinkled billboard of a forehead.%0D She's a real JAP.

by Anonymousreply 10002/24/2011

R99, with the exception of the hot boy next door quip, no viewer wants to look at dingy furnaces and HVAC systems. Just give me the house porn, and keep the ridiculous comments to a minimum.

There's a reason why they barely touch on the actual home inspection process on My First Place and similar shows. It's just not good tv.

by Anonymousreply 10102/24/2011

I think the entitled cunt at r65's link should have held out for the second house. The beach house had a terrible layout and a lot of fug finishes that will be expensive to replace.

by Anonymousreply 10202/25/2011

R63, you're assuming that buyers do everything their Realtor recommends. Hardly. People are idiots. Besides not listening to advice on how to prep a house for sale, they'll refuse to spend 350 bucks on an inspection on a house they're paying 500,000 for. In a bidding war, my client "lost" and offered to sell our home inspection report (that we had done) to the "winner" because they hadn't done one. They paid 100K over list price for the house. They refused to pay 200.00 for an inspection report to see what the heck they just bought. A friend of mine bought a place "privately". Was told by me and another agent friend to ensure she had an inspection. Didn't do it. Looked good on her when she had to have the roof redone and the plaster fell off one of the walls within a week of her moving in. So much for "saving all that money by buying privately". Even new construction is so shoddy these days that I always recommend getting an inspection.

by Anonymousreply 10302/25/2011

R103 is right on the money. If you're about to make the biggest investment of your life, which is the case for most of those couples, maybe saving a thousand dollars or so on home inspections, a good real estate agent and a real estate lawyer is not such a great idea. My partner and I bought our condo when it was still in construction. We did our pre move-in inspection with our real estate agent and looked at everything, marking every flaw with a post it note and taking photographs of anything. People get hung up on carpets and wallpaint instead of looking for real issues at hand.

by Anonymousreply 10402/25/2011

What mortgage company would agree to a loan without an inspection? Oh, I guess the same ones who loaned too much money to people with bad credit and not enough income. No wonder the industry is so fucked up.%0D %0D In Massachusetts you can't get a mortgage or homeowners insurance without an inspection.

by Anonymousreply 10502/25/2011

My absolutely favorite part of HH is the standard opening of each episode which shows a young couple frustrated because they are both in the kitchen of their rented apartment trying to make a sandwich and they can't seem to move their arms enough to complete the task.%0D %0D "We'd really like a bigger kitchen, there's really not enough room for the two of us when we're making dinner."%0D %0D And then they open the refrigerator door and suddenly the other half cannot even cut her lettuce anymore!%0D %0D My other favorite is when the house they are looking at has granite!!!!%0D %0D "But it's not the granite we like."

by Anonymousreply 10602/25/2011

[quote]YES!! ****** RE SELLING NEW YORK which showcases the yenta and her 2 daughters. You know there's a time when you need to tone it down and dress age appropriate. She's trying way too hard with the BIRKIN BAG, tight dresses, high heels and hair parted down the middle. A few bangs would serve her well...I don't need to see that little wrinkled billboard of a forehead. She's a real JAP.

I think she looks great!

by Anonymousreply 10702/25/2011

I love op for starting this thread.

I watch this show on mute so I don't have to listen to buyers and or hear the rolling of eyes of the agents.

there was an agent in on a few weeks ago - that was showing houses to this Quincy couple - some really nice houses too.

He didn't even try to hide his contempt.

by Anonymousreply 10802/25/2011

R105 - good for MA.

Unfortunately not all banks in all parts of the world operate like that. Nor are home inspections a guarantee of nothing being wrong. They can only inspect what they can see, and these days, in Canada anyway, have you sign acknowledgements to that effect so that you can't come back and sue them.

If you buy a house in the winter, they can't check to ensure that the air conditioning is operative - you're depending on the honesty of the seller that it's in good working order. (Ha!) Nor will they crawl up on a roof to inspect the shingles under a snow covered roof.

I've never been able to stomach most of the HGTV shows. When you work in the industry, who wants to watch it at home ;-) I admit I've heard most of the comments posters have mentioned here.

One of my favorites was this ditzy woman I'd shown a house to and she made some comment about the owners china. "We're not shopping for place settings, what about the HOUSE". It's also amazing how many people will discount a property out of hand because of wall color - and the sellers who get their backs up when I tell them to paint that shocking pink bedroom a neutral color before putting it on the market.

by Anonymousreply 10902/25/2011

I meant to add to my last post, that what irritates me about these shows the most is that some people figure that watching HGTV for an hour qualifies them somehow to be an expert and tell me I'm wrong about something I do every day.

"Pink IS a neutral color"

That, and "well my uncles best friends wife told me that I shouldn't have to flush the toilet before showings because everyone knows what a toilet is for"

by Anonymousreply 11002/25/2011

I love Sandra Rinomato of Property Virgins. She has first time buyers who have a $5 budget that want to buy something in an exlusive neighborhood. So she takes them:%0D %0D Sandra: so what do you think the asking price of the houses in this area run?%0D %0D Buyer: $5%0D %0D Sandra: oh...sorry...well unfortunately the type of house you've described would cost ONE MILLLIIIONNNN DOLLLARRSS here. (said with an eyebrow raised) That's 999,995 over your budget.%0D %0D Buyer: Oh no! You're kidding me! Really?%0D %0D Sandra: let's go look at some properties in a town you can afford (then takes them 50 miles away and shows them a fixer upper with one bath and no dishwasher)

by Anonymousreply 11102/25/2011

That's fake too, but funny, and makes the point.

by Anonymousreply 11202/25/2011

We will need a private area for my husband's gloryhole.

by Anonymousreply 11302/25/2011

Oh, this classic vintage bathroom tile that has been in this house for 75 years and is still in wonderful shape....has to go!

by Anonymousreply 11402/25/2011

This Great Room could be greater. And I want a gift-wrapping room separate from the scrap-booking room.

by Anonymousreply 11502/25/2011

I live in Knoxville (home of HGTV btw) and they did a House Hunters here this week. Entitled very young couple looked at three bland as you could possibly imagine mini mansions, in the budgetary range of $250,000.

Knoxville has about 5 historic neighborhoods where that kind of money would buy a very nicely reno'ed historic home (yes, probably with granite countertops, stainless appliances and probably a clawfoot tub and at least one working fireplace).

Aside from the complete bitchiness of the wife, which made for some fun since the realtor has a local rep of being quite no nonsense herself, WHY BOTHER?

by Anonymousreply 11602/25/2011

I hate hearing the promos for Selling New York with the horrible tagline "It's so money." Awful.

by Anonymousreply 11802/25/2011

r116, would there be enough adequately sized bathrooms in those "historic" houses? Would the kitchen be tiny? Are they well heated and cooled? Insulated well enough? That matters.

by Anonymousreply 11902/25/2011

Selling New York is a guilty pleasure of mine. I just cannot believe how much it costs to live in Manhattan and how small the apartments can be. They recently showed two queens buying a $1.4 million one-bedroom in a walk-up in the East Village that looked like it hadn't been renovated since the Nixon Administration. This place was 1/3 the size of your average blue-collar ranch house in New Jersey, and the two queens and the realtor were going on and on as if they had just discovered a palace! Manhattan is fucking crazy.

by Anonymousreply 12002/25/2011

I was on House Hunters with my boyfriend who was buying in Chicago. His realtor suggested him for the show. He had closed on his condo months before the show was shot. His realtor had open listings for the other two options. It's always a total setup. Everyone knows which property they are getting from the beginning. The crew on out shoot did a lot of HH International shows too and said that was the same deal. Sorry if this is news to anyone, but, you know, TV is 100% phony.

by Anonymousreply 12102/25/2011

[quote]Sorry if this is news to anyone, but, you know, TV is 100% phony.%0D %0D Certainly not news who bothered to read any of this thread; the same point has been made above (as it is in any HGTV thread) half a dozen times at least.%0D %0D I assume though that the big lapse in your case between closing and filming may not be the usual order. At least in many (though not all) instances the "6 months later" footage does show [italic]some[/italic] changes. Timing the "hunting" part of the shooting closer to the closing would eliminate having to "un-paint" walls, remove the new owners' furnishings, and fabricate the appearance either an empty or occupied house for sale.%0D

by Anonymousreply 12202/25/2011

I sold a condo that was slated to be on House Hunters. The listing broker told me - that someone had seen the unit and was still interested.

I think he was just trying to push me on the financing - which was talking longer then expected.

I think there was some truth to the story but doubted that the buyer haven't already made the decision - since rarely (if ever) does a deal fall apart on this show.

Property Virgins is much more realistic in the sense of what Sandra focuses on and her gentle slap down of buyers.

It annoying that the producer focus on things that s/s, granite, paint and closets. I guess this shit appeals to fly overs.

Still it just real estate porn.

by Anonymousreply 12302/25/2011

by Anonymousreply 12402/25/2011

For the past year, it seems that "Designed to Sell" shows renovations made for staging homes for sale, and they always seem to conclude "It's only a matter of time before the right buyer snatches up this beautiful property." %0D %0D Recently, they did feature a deal that fell through, and sometimes the ending is unsatisfying, with the buyer deciding to pull his condo off the market since the current housing economy is so weak.

by Anonymousreply 12502/26/2011

Some of the house buyers or apartment renters on all of the various HGTV shows fixate upon the view out of the various windows.%0D %0D They often exclaim how fabulous the view is when it actually is quite mediocre and something they will tire of very quickly within a month or two and never even look at the view after that.%0D %0D For example, the view of a city from the low level rooftop deck of a house in a U.S. city.%0D %0D And internationally, the view is sometimes a view they will tire of quickly.

by Anonymousreply 12602/26/2011

In one show on HHI the couple exclaimed over the "wonderful" mountain view. All you could see were ordinary mountains way, way off in the distance, hiding behind several huge gray roofs in the foreground.

by Anonymousreply 12702/26/2011

HGTV is so out of touch!

by Anonymousreply 12802/26/2011

No one's complained about the insufferable comments some buyers make when looking for loft-style apartments. Aparently the style alone is enough to justify their gushing admiration. Exposed ducts, brick walls, etc, no matter how ugly or inconveniently designed, will be complimented. It's a learned preference that's almost ideological.

by Anonymousreply 12902/26/2011

R123, they're always trying to push, and usually you can see right through it.

Honestly though, most buyers, unlike what's displayed on HDTV, don't make stainless steel appliances and granite counter tops there top choice in kitchen design. I had a buyer who dropped 1.8M on a condo, a week before closing he calls me up and says "Hey, one question, does the kitchen have a stove and fridge, I forget"

I was sort of shocked. He didn't remember anything about the kitchen. I responded that the stove was a high end viking and the fridge a sub zero encased in custom cabinetry.

He really didn't care either way though.

My experience is that most buyers don't - although, most do remember what the kitchen actually looks like.

by Anonymousreply 13002/26/2011

The couples who insist on two sinks in the bathroom annoy me.%0D %0D Not too long ago, NO ONE had double sinks and/or it was rare to have them.%0D %0D Also annoying are the couples who find a house which is satisfiactory or even great in most every way, but then reject the house because it does not have a fenced in backyard for their dog.%0D %0D Also annoying are the people who seem to be buying the house for the dog as if their dog is a person emphasizing in a dramatic way 'Fido will LOVE this backyard!!!!!'.

by Anonymousreply 13102/26/2011

R130, but wasn't that a man who does NOT cook who called and asked you that? Men who do not cook do not care about the finer points of a kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 13202/26/2011

Well sort of, R132. I've represented him in several purchases (investor) and normally his wife flies in to view before entering contract. He saw the place literally for only 5 minutes and decided to move forward on it, but his wife wasn't with him on this specific trip.

She probably asked him about the kitchen and he didn't have a clue. It was kind of funny actually. He really didn't care either way about the kitchen.

by Anonymousreply 13302/26/2011

The most irritating HHI was the woman who was moving to Amsterdam, and all she cared about was this fucking dog the size of a Shetland Pony and where it would shit.

by Anonymousreply 13502/26/2011

i also hate the "fido" remarks.%0D %0D "oh look, blimpie will have his own room!"%0D %0D what really gets me are the "this will be great for entertaining" comments. they later show a group of people drinking wine, one of which is the realtor, and another lady clutching her purse like they just pulled her in off the street. these people will do NO entertaining.%0D %0D did anyone see the gold-digger married to the old man who had to have this apartment in (insert s. american nation's name) so they could tango: "oh, dis roooom will be gweat to dance de tango" and "i can have rots of tango pahties here." she looked like a massage parlor madame.

by Anonymousreply 13602/26/2011

"This street is SO noisy!"%0D %0D Couple looking for an apartment in the heart of Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 13702/26/2011

Yes, R136, loved that tango episode in South America!!!%0D %0D She was looking to do a bit more than just tango with the locals..... :)%0D %0D of course, tango is the dance of love (wink)

by Anonymousreply 13802/26/2011

R135, actually I think that Iowa woman moving to Amsterdam has TWO fucking dogs the size of shetland ponies and only cared where the TWO dogs would shit!%0D %0D That was a fun episode - got to see lots of Amsterdam street life!

by Anonymousreply 13902/26/2011

R134, yes, that Morocco episode was a blast!%0D %0D He was an architect who wanted a three-month to five-month long project overhauling a historic dwelling in the heart of Morocco.%0D %0D He and hiw wife and 2 kids were from England.%0D His wife wanted a 2nd home in Morocco because it is SUNNY.%0D %0D The town they chose seemed so archaic and medieval or older and cloistered - very odd.

by Anonymousreply 14002/26/2011

I wish they would drop the ultra-annoying term 'master bedroom'.%0D %0D The 'master bedroom' concept seem to be an invention of the McMansions where the 'master bedroom' is gargantuan and ridiculously over-sized.%0D %0D It is a fabricated concept of recent pathology.%0D %0D So now the annoying entitled couples say 'Oh, this master bedroom is rather small'.%0D

by Anonymousreply 14102/26/2011

These shows are so fake. The "homebuyer" has already purchased. So the chatter about other houses is just that, pretend chatter. Which is why the comments are so stupid. They are talking about houses they don't own or intend to own.

by Anonymousreply 14202/26/2011

"But Honey, I'm afraid this might not be safe for the children."%0D %0D "Oh, I love the wall-to-wall carpet!"

by Anonymousreply 14302/26/2011

Duh, do you think maybe the show is scripted ould that explain why every woman wants granite countertops, an open floor plan, stainless appliances, and hardwood floors? Why every couple jokes about how many clothes she has and how few he has?

by Anonymousreply 14402/26/2011

[quote]So the chatter about other houses is just that, pretend chatter. Which is why the comments are so stupid. They are talking about houses they don't own or intend to own.

It's fun where you're in on it, because there have been a couple times where it's obvious that one of the decoy houses is waaay better than the one they already own and their comments make that clear. Then they shuffle around and spew some really phony bullshit to justify picking the place they're stuck with.

by Anonymousreply 14502/26/2011

when the husband admmires the "backsplash"

by Anonymousreply 14602/26/2011

Designed to Sell is sometimes the worst. I hate when that steroid redheaded Roger comes in, paints things beige, only leaves a bed in a bedroom, puts in an uplight and a ficus tree in a corner and says - "Voila! Now they can see what this room is meant for!"

That man keeps the corner uplight industry in business all by himself.

by Anonymousreply 14702/26/2011

"The light fixtures look so outdated!"

by Anonymousreply 14802/26/2011

That tiny bespectacled gay on "Sarah's House" has to jump when she snaps her fingers.

by Anonymousreply 14902/26/2011

Do you get that bitch Tatiana Londono in the US?

by Anonymousreply 15002/26/2011

HOUSEHUNTERS is NOT REAL. It is a FAKE show. They have a SCRIPT. The house was chosen before filming starts and is in escrow.

None of the banter some of you find so adorable or revolting is for real.

by Anonymousreply 15102/26/2011

Why don't you READ the thread before POSTING SOMETHING that's been said over and OVER again,r151? Do you think we'll finally GET IT because you SAID so?

by Anonymousreply 15202/26/2011

[quote]"This street is SO noisy!"%0D %0D Stupidest comment made by people looking at places in the French Quarter of New Orleans, Montmartre in Paris or any other busy city with tourists and a night life. Why are they insisting on living there to be close to everything and not looking at some suburban/country house?

by Anonymousreply 15302/26/2011

I am so sick of Sarah's House. I don't like her style, it's too traditional/cutesy country for me.

by Anonymousreply 15402/26/2011

!52 - you are an IDIOT

by Anonymousreply 15502/26/2011

Sarah's Voice is more like it.

And she made the stairway in that split-level look like a late 80's shopping mall atrium.

by Anonymousreply 15602/26/2011

R156 that show seems very much like a vanity project for her, all about her. She should have just done some mag spread when she was done with it. WTF is she anyway?

by Anonymousreply 15702/26/2011

What about the guy with the laptop who shows couples different houses and how he can demolish them or add a third story? I love when the couple looks at a 400K dump and the designer says for an additional 125K he can demolish most of it and rebuild it into a dream home.

by Anonymousreply 15802/26/2011

Well, it IS $700,000- $200,00 over our budget. But we chose it anyway because we couldn't resist the cute doghouse in the back yard!

by Anonymousreply 15902/26/2011

r159 needs to make some friends.

Dude you are a fucking nut.

Check out troll dar

by Anonymousreply 16002/26/2011

Oops... I was thinking of a different show. I think it was on "Location, Location, Location" with the hot bald host with a chirpy lady co-host.

by Anonymousreply 16202/26/2011

"Oops... I was thinking of a different show. I think it was on "Location, Location, Location" with the hot bald host with a chirpy lady co-host."

Her prettier sister is now hosting a show on HGTV, forgot the name of the show, it's a bit like "Property Virgins". I think her last name is Alsop?

I used to love "Location, Location, Location"! wish BBCAmerica would bring that back, I'd rather watch repeats rather than all the other crap shows they keep on repeating!

by Anonymousreply 16302/26/2011

Sure we know most of the HGTV shows are fake, but I wish they'd give the house hunters more believable dialog.

The worst are the annoying entitled young couples walking into a huge 1000 square foot kitchen declaring the room is "too small". "I wanted to add a sofa." Well, there was enough room for three sofas!

I guess these entitled idiots really haven't seen how small some actual kitchens in older homes are? They must have grown up in large homes?

Another super lame complaint, the kitchen islands aren't large enough! Meanwhile, there's also enough room for a full kitchen table and lots of these houses also have full formal dining rooms, yet they're still complaining!

Some of these homes are enormous, even on "Clean House". On one episode, some slobs were standing in their living room, which was so large it was the size of a four room average sized apartment in a NY borough!

The room was bursting with junk, yet the entire family and the show's cast were dwarfed by the huge room. I don't know how much furniture was needed to fill that room, but it was enormous. It looked like a loft, but it was a house in California.

by Anonymousreply 16402/26/2011

That's the delicious Sofie Allsopp on "The Unsellables." I could just eat her and her plummy voice up.

by Anonymousreply 16502/26/2011

r50? You do know not just Americans buy homes in foreign countries right? As a matter of fact, the majority of the foreigners who've bought places in some of the areas I've looked in (along the Gulf of Guinea)are European and Asian.

--These comments really crack me up! I was actually watching one of these shows while reading and heard some of these comments. lol

by Anonymousreply 16602/27/2011

Well, you've caught me,r160. See, I've been sitting here all damn week with the worst flu I've ever had. And yes, I've been posting quite a bit. AND I've been watching every HGTV show,one right after another. So, yes, you've seen my posts, all of them!%0D %0D The question is, why are you so interested? Do you stalk others,too? %0D %0D Why don't YOU find some friends to fill your time, instead of spying on me?%0D %0D I could have guessed- you don't have any.

by Anonymousreply 16702/27/2011

The nuttiest fucks on DL are the Trolldar queens. Talk about get a life...

by Anonymousreply 16802/27/2011

what is this sarah person's obsession with butter yellow? her poor little gay-aid tries to suggest lovely ideas, then she nixes them all. i bet she slaps him. often.

by Anonymousreply 16902/27/2011

Sophie Allsop is the Nigella Lawson of home improvement.

Her voice and mannerisms make even wainscoating sexy when she speaks of it.

Those two could sell anything to the male public - both straight and gay.

by Anonymousreply 17002/27/2011

HGTV Canada is full of these interior designers with very questionable credentials. For instance, Sarah's family is very well connected in Toronto and that catapulted her and her brother into the realm of design celebrity. Also, that Newfie queen Ambrose Something must be giving mean blowjobs since he has no background in interior design and somehow managed to get a show on HGTV Canada. The guy who used to do Restaurant Makeover show is a coke fiend who defrauded my neighbors by taking on a job in their condo, collecting advances, fees, etc, and never did any work. He'd come to meet them and then disappear into their bathroom for half hour or so doing coke there.

by Anonymousreply 17202/27/2011

Good one last night. Aussie woman married to an Indian man moves to Mumbai and is disappointed by the apartments available. The bathrooms and kitchens were very primitive and she acted like she was surprised. Duh, bitch, they bathe and cook quite differently than we do.

by Anonymousreply 17303/01/2011

The show is a fake, r-173, don't you get it yet?

by Anonymousreply 17403/01/2011

There was an intriguing episode of Changing Rooms (it might have been shown on BBCA) %0D %0D One set of nice suburban neighbours redecorated the other house in a tasteful but uninspired way...while the other pair redecorated THEIR house in what could only be described as "Late-period Colonial Ethiopian Whorehouse"%0D %0D All I remember, after the reveal, was the woman in tears, and her husband saying that he had to get the emulsion out...

by Anonymousreply 17503/01/2011

The reaction was not in real time, R174, but that probably was her reaction. Don't you get that?

by Anonymousreply 17603/01/2011

"Late-period Colonial Ethiopian Whorehouse"%0D %0D Sounds fun.

by Anonymousreply 17703/01/2011

It amazes me how stupid the American public is that they refuse to believe House Hunters is staged and a fraud.

by Anonymousreply 17803/01/2011

Trading Spaces (the TLC rip off of Changing Rooms) was much more infamous for the reveals going badly.

by Anonymousreply 17903/01/2011

Wow--a House Hunters Conspiracy Troll.

Only on the DL.

by Anonymousreply 18003/01/2011

Oh it was, r177 - %0D %0D but not in a suburban semi...%0D %0D (I think there were tiger skins too)

by Anonymousreply 18103/01/2011

I do wonder how many of the homebuyers have buyers' remorse after seeing some of the other properties.%0D %0D Do they ever go to the fake house options and say, "shit, this better than the one we bought"?

by Anonymousreply 18203/01/2011

We know R178 but we still can't believe that they say such stupid stuff. The scriptwriters are going overboard.

by Anonymousreply 18303/01/2011

I was watching one show last night that was too funny. My First Place, I think it was called. HS teacher was buying his first home and he was petrified of buying a haunted property and would ask the realtor about murders and/or possible ghosts. You could tell the realtor didn't like him and thought he was total loon. The house he finally settled hads to be cleansed by some new age wiccan type guy by smudging with sage and putting some rock near the door to prevent future spirits from settling there. **whatever**

by Anonymousreply 18403/01/2011

[quote]I wish they would drop the ultra-annoying term 'master bedroom'.%0D %0D Even more annoying is the truncation to "master" --emulating that oh so in-the-know shorthand of the most harried of NYC realtors. %0D %0D "Oh, so this is the master?" "It's kind of small. I'm not sure all our bedroom suite will fit in here."%0D %0D "Now is this the master or was that other one the master?"%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 18503/02/2011

[quote]"The kitchen isn't very big" (for people who you just know don't cook shit and barely know how to boil water)%0D %0D %0D As uttered by a San Francisco couple buying one of the coveted "painted ladies". You later find out after moving in that they are "learning" to cook. They also had to settle with one smallish bathroom. Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 18603/02/2011

"Things I don't like about the second house: Those dated cabinets and light fixtures. Plus, the walls are painted the most horrible colors."

by Anonymousreply 18703/02/2011

The comments are not "fake" but they are "forced".

The buyers are instructed to comment on what they do an don't like in each room of a house.

Suggestions of things to comment on are given to the buyers before shooting.

The stupid comments still belong to the buyers, but most people left alone would barely say anything when touring a house.

by Anonymousreply 18903/03/2011

Love seeing the real estate agent get visibly irritated at some of the comments. %0D %0D I had a minor crush on the cute short guy in Lubbock showing a couple around. That part of Texas was one of those places you can get a five-bedroom four-bath mega-house with two-car garag and pool for $125,000. Hate that. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 19003/03/2011

Yeah, Lubbock is pretty bad. Anything west of Austin and the hill country is horrid except Big Bend National Park. It's beautiful around there.

by Anonymousreply 19203/04/2011

The other night I saw "Seana's" third HouseHunters show.

Any of you know who I am talking about? She has has a husband now.

by Anonymousreply 19303/04/2011

Is Seana the realtor or the buyer?

by Anonymousreply 19403/04/2011

I watched one once where the wife cringed at "veneer cabinets.. yuck!" in a kitchen. They were the same cabinets (and pantries) I'd just put in my house in the Hamptons. They're Ikea. %0D %0D I could see if they went on to buy a million dollar home with a fab kitchen, but the couple wound up buying some dumpy suburban ranch with tiny little brown cabinets from the 1970s, saying, "Well, the layout of the kitchen is good. I like it."%0D %0D Meanwhile, when people see my kitchen they say, "I love this kitchen! It looks like it's from a decorating magazine."

by Anonymousreply 19503/04/2011

A buyer. I think she's the only one to appear on multiple shows.

by Anonymousreply 19603/04/2011

There was a show set in St. Louis this week with a couple moving from Chicago. Don't know why anyone would do that, but okay. The couple had lost money on the sale of their house in Chicago, so didn't want to repeat that mistake. (So yes, of course, move to St. Louis!)

They looked at two houses in Webster Groves and one in Kirkwood, both of them being older suburbs with older housing stock. All the houses they looked at had nice newer kitchens of a decent size, but the wife, who oozed entitlement, declared that all of them were unacceptable. Newsflash: if you look for older homes in close-in suburbs in a lower price range, they won't have the gigantic rooms, multiple baths and fancy amenities that newer houses would.

Well, they finally "picked" one, a house with the tiny bath and powder room they had so lamented over, and two months later, they had a new kitchen that barely different than the one before.

by Anonymousreply 19703/04/2011

Any reason why she is always reappearing R196? An addiction to being on tv?

by Anonymousreply 19803/04/2011

A home had this laminate flooring throughout, and it was really beautiful, considering it was laminate. It was as close to hardwood- looking as you could get. The couple had it yanked out right away ,(but kept the ugly wallpaper that was absolutely hideous). Even the realator was surprised, since this couple was on the strictist of budgets. The result was mediorcre hardwood with weird stripes.

by Anonymousreply 19903/04/2011

I can take all the inane comments from Realtors and buyers, but I can't watch that goody-two-shoes, sanctimonious, ass Mike Holmes for more than about 5 seconds without boiling

I realize builders do shoddy work and someone needs to protect them, but that drama queen pitches fits over nothing. He went on and on and on the other day about bathroom mold that was just nothing. He tore out the fucking shower instead of getting some bleach on a paper towel and dealing with it. No house is perfect, and some of his fixes don't look all the hot themselves.

The fact that he dresses right out of the Winnie the Pooh Collection at Sears doesn't help either.

by Anonymousreply 20003/04/2011

I'd do Mike Holmes. I like manly men.

by Anonymousreply 20103/04/2011

This horrible woman was on the other night complaining that when they want to go to their boat, they have to take the elevator "all the way downstairs to the marina" and that their lives would be so much better if they had a house with a dock.%0D %0D When the revolution comes, I hope they kill her first.

by Anonymousreply 20203/17/2011

[quote]I realize builders do shoddy work and someone needs to protect them, but that drama queen pitches fits over nothing. He went on and on and on the other day about bathroom mold that was just nothing. He tore out the fucking shower instead of getting some bleach on a paper towel and dealing with it. No house is perfect, and some of his fixes don't look all the hot themselves.%0D %0D [quote]The fact that he dresses right out of the Winnie the Pooh Collection at Sears doesn't help either.%0D %0D HGTV took a wrong turn when they decided to elevate Mike Holmes to sainthood and savior. His show was okay initially, but it's ridiculous and unwatchable now - and it's exhausted its premise. I can't even stomach the previews.%0D %0D At least House Hunters unwavering formula is relieved by different houses, locales, and people, but in Holmes' show it's the same set of horrors beneath the drywall every episode: bad plumbing, bad wiring, bad insulation, water infiltration...%0D %0D Understandably perhaps, the rotten economy didn't do anything for HGTV's programming. They downsized everything for a long while and focused on how-to shows: how-to to slash your asking price, how to market your house in a buyer's market, how to add an income-producing unit in your dank basement... Useful enough, but they went overboard. Then there were the super-low-budget shows like the one patterned after House Hunters where people went hunting for middling rental apartments. Fucking fascinating to compare the relative pros and cons of wall-to-wall carpet and sliding glass doors and assigned parking spaces and Formica countertops. It may be "real world," but who can be bothered to sit through it?%0D %0D I like House Hunters for all its dumb predictability and dumb house hunters, but HGTV (years ago now) used to have some series about houses and places and gardens -- about places and things rather than about the process of tarting them up to shift them for a higher price.

by Anonymousreply 20303/17/2011

Seanna was a great story arc told through three house hunters episodes. In the first, she's an aspiring song writer moving to Los Angeles and buys a quirky retro house. She wants to be a professional singer and it's obvious she's got family money (or maybe divorce settlement?) to fund her start.%0D %0D In the second episode, having failed in L.A., Seanna decides to "go country." Just like Jenna in 30 Rock. So she sells her L.A. house, and buys a comparable house in Nashville, and pockets the $ difference.%0D %0D In the latest installment, she's wised up and married a rich guy. He's obviously loaded, because they are moving from a mansion outside of Nashville. He obviously doesn't give a shit where he lives, but he knows the new house will keep the new wife busy and out of his hair for a while. (You know how I like my projects, says Jenna to her agreeable husband).%0D %0D Yes, it's a tale of a golddigger's progress. Tear comes to eye, fade to black.

by Anonymousreply 20403/17/2011

The other night a Seattle couple was looking at places in Italy. They were very specific about wanting an "old" place close to the town center. Realtor finds fantastic apartment inside the ancient village's castle walls, very medieval, and couple proceeds to complain about no parking outside. They would have to park nearby and walk to their front door and believe me her fat ass needed exercise. They also wanted room for a hot tub. I was pretty disgusted and the realtor could barely contain his disdain over their ridiculous needs. There was of course the ubiquitous "the kitchen is too small". He gently pointed out that the it was built in the 1400's.

by Anonymousreply 20503/17/2011

I saw that one, too, R205.%0D %0D Almost inevitably, the House Hunters clients who insist on historic character really want a property stripped of its historic character, a gut reno with the plaster replaced with wallboard, the floorboards replaced with Lumber Liquidators. %0D %0D They swoon over the crown molding and the $120 light fixture that still smell of Home Depot, and recoil in horror at the lack of an open-plan kitchen, propose the removal of multiple internal walls, hate the original light fixtures and windows and the large 1920s bathroom with its original pristine tile and fixtures, want to rip out the fully fitted butler's pantry to make a scrap-booking room and "storage" (what is a butler's pantry but storage?), and want to install sparkly glass backsplashes everywhere -- to show off their originality and "sense of design."

by Anonymousreply 20603/17/2011

My fave is Property Virgins. Host Sandra Rimorato's busty cleavage is mesmerizing.

by Anonymousreply 20703/17/2011

The worst has to be when they spend a big part of their $2,000 fix-up budget (not to mention $10,000 worth of free labor) on assemble-it-yourself furniture and cheesy-looking drapes, linens and "wall art" and then "potential" homebuyers come in and ooh and ahh over that shit even though it is not included with the house.

I've looked at houses seven different times. Not once have I given a shit about the home owners' furnishings or thought, "Ooh, I should buy this house because that cheap furniture is arranged so artfully around the fireplace."

by Anonymousreply 20803/17/2011

Last night: "I don't want to spend too much money, but I'm having my decorator come in."%0D %0D I guess decorators are free now?

by Anonymousreply 20903/23/2011

... Anyone who goes around looking at the belongings in the rooms rather than the "bones" of the room itself.

by Anonymousreply 21003/23/2011

The entire bathroom/kitchen, WHATEVER, 'needs to be gutted' - WHY do I torture myself and watch this show????

by Anonymousreply 21106/02/2011

[quote] it's ridiculous and unwatchable now - and it's exhausted its premise.%0D %0D Truthfully, how many times can you watch a guy rip out a bathroom and gripe about other builders. You have to have a serious OCD affliction to watch this repetitive garbage.

by Anonymousreply 21206/03/2011

When did everything become "outdated"?

People seem to sneer at kitchens and bathrooms as little at 10 years old.

by Anonymousreply 21306/03/2011

Speaking of the Brady kitchen, unless it's avocado green, harvest gold, or Brady orange, I don't get why they go it an take one look at a kitchen full of nearly brand new appliances (all in white or all in black, when you know what they can't possibly survive with is anything less than stainless) and the first comment is a dismissive "these will all have to be replaced."

by Anonymousreply 21406/03/2011

I'd be thrilled to see a kitchen with avacado green or harvest gold appliances because you know they work! Today's appliances suck, they are not made to last.

by Anonymousreply 21506/03/2011

You know what they say about a man who likes a bit of chrome in his kitchen, likes a bit of cock up his arse!

by Anonymousreply 21606/03/2011

R215 is right. I know lots of couples that have brand new stainless appliances and they constantly go out. The new ones have computerized chips in them that, I swear, are designed to fail. I still have my old Kenmore washer/dryer that are 25 years old and never broken yet.

by Anonymousreply 21706/03/2011

Please, people, don't you know House Hunters is staged and a fake? They have already chosen a house and must be in escrow before House Hunters will film them. The hunt is not real, there is a script...

by Anonymousreply 21806/03/2011

Computer chips in a stove are as stupid as a toilet you have to plug into the wall.

by Anonymousreply 21906/03/2011

You forgot ***BREAKING NEWS***, r218.

by Anonymousreply 22006/03/2011

Yes we know, r218, you've told us at least a thousand times. You seem a tad obsessed.

by Anonymousreply 22106/03/2011

Does a new husband come with the bathroom?

Why does it smell like old mustard in here?

Do the lawn ornaments come with the house?

by Anonymousreply 22206/03/2011

More like hers and hers closets. *guffaw*

by Anonymousreply 22306/03/2011

Irritating comments by real estate females ...%0D %0D "The kitchen area." Hon, just say kitchen.%0D %0D "We're leaving out." "Leaving" says it in fewer words. %0D

by Anonymousreply 22406/03/2011

Wedding dresses are white because they match appliances the wife will use for decades.

by Anonymousreply 22506/03/2011

This kitchen is old school.

by Anonymousreply 22606/03/2011

Everyone wants one of those hideous houses u see on the "Real Housewives"

by Anonymousreply 22706/03/2011

"We love our new home in quaint Mexico!"

by Anonymousreply 22806/03/2011

"There is dust in here?"%0D Oh my! It's a house no one has lived in for a year. What did you expect? Buy the house and dust it if it bothers you that much.

by Anonymousreply 22906/03/2011

by Anonymousreply 23006/07/2011

I saw one where the house had a huge den with goldenrod walls, shag carpeting, and art deco chandelier. I instantly thought "Awesome, a retro den!"%0D %0D Of course the suburban couple were all making fun of how '70's' it looked, and that it would be the first thing to change.

by Anonymousreply 23106/07/2011

I saw a perfect bathroom- 50's very pale pink tiles, bathtub, sink and commode. Everything was still in pristine condition.%0D %0D Of course the first thing out of the lady homebuyer's mouth was "Gotta change THAT!"%0D %0D Moron.

by Anonymousreply 23206/16/2011

R252, this is not related to HGTV, but my brother once bought a house that had been built in the '50s. It was for sale by the original owner and the place had never been changed except for maintenance reasons. The kitchen and baths had the original pink and/or green tiles and matching fixtures and looked incredible. He lived there for a year by himself, and then a new girlfriend moved in. She insisted that everything be "modernized" and soon, the house was bland and beige. I couldn't get over it. It was tragic. And shortly after that, the bitch left my brother for the contractor. No lie.

by Anonymousreply 23306/16/2011

I fucking LOVE this thread. I watched an episode of House Hunters International this weekend and this couple from Pennsylvania wanted a vacation home in the Dominican Republic. Of course, they wanted beachfront property but only on a budget. So when the realtor found a place for them within their budget, the first thing the housewife asked was how far away the beach was. The realtor said it was six minutes away by walking. %0D %0D THAT was the dealbreaker for her.

by Anonymousreply 23406/16/2011

My favorite was a couple of yutzes looking for a condo in Chicago. The husband ooohed and aaahed over a flat screen television on the wall, apparently oblivious to the fact that it didn't come with the place.

by Anonymousreply 23506/16/2011

The people they get for these shows aren't very good at being spontaneous or speaking in public. Their dialogue is full of this brand of nationwide verbal tics that just get on my nerves.

As proof, I dare you to create the following drinking game out of "House Hunters." Do a shot whenever anyone says:

1. Sounds good. 2. Check it out. 3. Definitely. 4. Updates. 5. Old school.

You'll be shit-faced in minutes.

by Anonymousreply 23606/16/2011

Don't think your comments are fair, OP. I hate when they complain about easily changeable things, especially the newbies because you can tell they did ZERO research. Not having an ensuite bathroom is a huge deal, it's not something you can easily change, so it's not an irritating comment to me. Complaining about carpets and appliances is SO annoying. How can you be spending 6 figures, in many cases, on something and not price check how much it would cost to change these things???? If you don't like a certain tub, it doesn't cost that much to swap it out, whereas switching from a shower to tub set up is doable but a bit more expensive. Some things you can do yourself. Bath with tub in the master suite is a must-have, the countertops aren't deal breakers, bedrooms being too small/few, however, is.

by Anonymousreply 23706/16/2011

Ensuite bathroom is a given, but a tub in the master suite isn't a "must have." It's a luxury.

by Anonymousreply 23806/18/2011

Latest house hunters featured a young woman who worked hard to get her credit back up..and then decides to buy a home on her own..but her boyfriend is going to live with her??? Sorry, can't get past this fact. She's an idiot. BF, go rent your own fricking apartment. Is this a sad commentary on today's society or what!!

by Anonymousreply 23906/24/2011

Yes it is, R239. The Holy Bible is very clear in its condemnation of fornicators.

by Anonymousreply 24006/24/2011

"I love that the house is built over an Indian burial ground. That's a really attractive feature and will add to the property value."

by Anonymousreply 24106/24/2011

On a recently re-aired House Hunters International, a U.S. couple looking to buy in Cuenca, Ecuador were puzzled and put-off by the fact that bathrooms in a new construction house did not have mirrors above the sinks. The realtor's explanation that mirrors or medicine cabinets could easily be added seemed not to satisfy them.%0D %0D (All of which reminded me of the crazy past thread where a DLer went off on a seller who had a colander hung on the kitchen wall. The affrontery!)

by Anonymousreply 24206/24/2011

lol those shows are so goofy and the whiney comments go live in the highlands of papua new guinea. see how you like the multy family huts they live in and a nice spacious central campfire in the center. "oh dear we have to have it all by age 23"

by Anonymousreply 24310/15/2011

"Oooh, beautiful bathroom with double sink" with cultured marble counter top! ($280 from Home Depot)

"Oooh great, it has stainless steel appliances" (Kenmore, $2500 total for the fridge, range and dishwasher - not that there is anything wrong with them)

"I love the granite countertops!" ($49 sq ft at Home Depot. And too heavy for the cheap home depot stock cabinets. Or "cabinetry")

"The bonus room is fabulous, we can make a kids room or an office!" Except it will be freezing, it's over the garage and poorly insulated.

by Anonymousreply 24410/28/2011

Can't believe this thread stalled so long's great! Sophie Allsop is terrific because she has fairly tasteful, reasonably priced solutions for usually quite untastefully decorated, unkempt homes. Sure it's staged but I like her personality and results. What show I simply won't watch is Love it or List it! Fake isn't the word for that show...there is no word for that couple!

by Anonymousreply 24501/11/2013

glad to see some of the homebuyers say they are sick of cockie-cutter homes with granite and stainless steel appliances!

So if stainless and granite are the oughts design, what is high demand for the middle market right now?

by Anonymousreply 24602/08/2013

I have a limited budget but I'm not going to settle. I want to be in a hip,"up & coming" neighborhood close to cool shops,restaurants and bars and mass transit...right in the middle of everything.

Open concept of course because I don't want to be cut off from my guests. Espresso hardwood throughout and for the kitchen, dark cabinetry,glass mosaic and gas,professional grade oven as I love to bake and may want to start a boutique cookie business in the future.

by Anonymousreply 24802/08/2013

Silestone baby!

Durable,flexible,affordable and BEAUTIFUL!

by Anonymousreply 24902/08/2013

can we please see an episode where they don't want an open concept plan (cheap build) with Home Depot grade granite countertops and Kenmore stainless front like they are the be all and end all.

by Anonymousreply 25002/09/2013

R246, for kitchen countertops, shiny or polished stone is out. Stone in the 2010s should be veined, honed, leathered, patina'ed, or antiqued. There's a wide variety of fashionable looks and stone-like materials to choose from -- silestone, soapstone, paperstone, marble, dark concrete, Absolute Black granite, etc. Also popular are patina stainless steel and dark gray/black concrete.

by Anonymousreply 25102/09/2013

As mentioned upthread, House Hunters International oft-made questions/comments:

"How far are we from the beach?"

"We want someplace centrally located."

When shown someplace centrally located: "Oh, I can hear the traffic. I don't know if I can deal with all that noise."

"I want a quintessential English/French/Italian/Dutch/Whatever country home."

When shown that home: "The kitchen's so small!"; "I was hoping for a larger bathroom." "The bedrooms are a little on the small side." "I don't see a washer and dryer." "There's not enough closet space."

by Anonymousreply 25202/09/2013

"There's so much street noise outside. I can't live in a place with that much noise!"

ALWAYS said by some idiot who's looking in places like Manhattan, the French Quarter of New Orleans etc. Good luck finding a quiet street, idiot!

"The kitchen/appliances are outdated!"

I swear, kitchens must get "outdated" after 3 years now because that's all you hear anymore.

by Anonymousreply 25302/09/2013

Has anyone ever noticed that no one ever talks about taxes. I guess taxes are like the HVAC system or insulation in so far that the subject makes for boring television. Ditto schools: some time homebuyers are looking to buy in a particularly well regarded school district, but that doesn't happen too often.

I love it when the husband can "recognize' -- and gush over -- a tray ceiling,a chair rail, and/or crown molding (extra points for dental crown molding)

by Anonymousreply 25402/10/2013

"I want a place right on the beach" Ummm... Hurricanes? Tidal waves? Rising sea levels??? And this is in countries where the government doesn't give a fuck about rebuilding after natural disasters, so SOL.

by Anonymousreply 25502/10/2013

ITA, R211, R213, and R214 -- it's as if somehow the house is uninhabitable if everything isn't up-to-date. Such entitlement.

by Anonymousreply 25602/10/2013

Ucch. Yesterday I saw one where this bitch in no where New Hampshire wanted a brand new McMansion and went batshit crazy because the agent showed her a house WITHOUT a walkout basement. She just could not believe the agent would do that.

And in another house she went insane because of a cheap ceiling fan in the bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 25702/10/2013

On International House Hunters, like others have posted, the potential buyers always compare the size of the rooms in Europe to American counterparts. This week there was a couple relocating from Atlanta to Brussels. The wife did not like the fact that the homes were close together. You're moving a small city in a small country, honey! The same home had a back garden that overlooked a large open field, which her two sons could use to play. She still thought the yard was too small. And, of course, most European kitchens do not have a large American-style refrigerator. That was duly noted! Why bother moving from the USA?

by Anonymousreply 25802/10/2013

I miss Sandra Rinomato, but I'm liking Egypt Sherrod of [italic]Property Virgins.[/italic] Tough love!

by Anonymousreply 25902/10/2013

I tried watching that Love it or List it show. I want to blow up my TV, I hate the hosts so much. And why did they make the PropBros a full hour. I hate the extra drama.

by Anonymousreply 26002/10/2013

House Hunters International: "I want something with character and reflecting the culture of the area.....

....But the rooms are so small!!!"

by Anonymousreply 26102/10/2013

r239, I saw that one on a rerun today. They didn't really seem into each other that much, and there were more than a few comments about having their own separate spaces. I also liked the biting comment about how she built up HER credit and paid off HER debts so she could get a house.

by Anonymousreply 26202/10/2013

Oh god, all of those American idiots who go to European countries and expect McMansion-sized rooms. Money really can't buy class or smarts, can it?

American idiots who actually but property in Mexico or elsewhere in Latin America. Like others have said, the gov't can seize your house for no real reason and if there's a disaster or fire, good luck trying to get it rebuilt. Morons just need to rent a house down there if they're only going to use it as a vacation home.

by Anonymousreply 26302/10/2013

Women who focus on a chantelier, as if that makes or breaks a house and cannot be taken down or replaced.

by Anonymousreply 26402/10/2013

I think with HH International people have a vision of what houses look like from movies. In Italy they see Under the Tuscan Sun house or England a house in a Jane Austin movie.

by Anonymousreply 26502/10/2013

I also really don't know why people can't just rent a vacation home in another country. These couples seem to make a lot of sacrifices and settle for something they don't really like, when for a fraction of the cost they could rent something that is exactly what they want. If you're only going to be there 3-4 weeks a year, it doesn't make sense to buy.

by Anonymousreply 26602/10/2013

i hate House Hunters International with the heat of a thousand suns.

by Anonymousreply 26702/10/2013

"Oh dear, our twin boys will have to share a room again". Funny, ever since they turned 16 they sleep in the same twin bed. They have always been so close."

by Anonymousreply 26802/10/2013

"This Tuscan villa that was built in the 16th century is ok, I guess, but I was expecting a master bedroom with a walk-in closet, and a garage. I'm really not ok with street parking."

by Anonymousreply 26902/10/2013

I love it when househunters whine and moan that the houses that are shown to them lack significant amounts of closet space. The real estate agents all seem to have the same response: "Back in the (fill in the decade), people didn't as much clothes as they do today."

If your house doesn't have enough closet space, get an armoire.

by Anonymousreply 27002/10/2013

A lot of the homebuyers on those HGTV shows aren't homebuyers. My sister interned for one when she was in college and the interns and their friends would pose as homebuyers when the show couldn't get enough people to show up for the open house, which happened fairly often. They just made comments that they thought the producers would want to use.

by Anonymousreply 27102/10/2013

I like "House Wreckers" with Josh Temple. On DYI not HGTV.

by Anonymousreply 27202/25/2013

I want stainless steel appliances and granite, but I really don't cook (giggle, I go out).

This space is a little tight (the master bedroom is so large it echoes like the Grand Canyon).

I don't want to see the neighbors and be up in their business (you need binoculars to see the nearest house).

The island is kinda small (20 couples could do the tango on it).

The insanity reigns.

by Anonymousreply 27303/20/2013

Every suburban frau upon seeing the 1999 kitchen in the $165K asking price tract house," I wanted granite and stainless steel." Followed by hideous pout.

by Anonymousreply 27403/20/2013

Elderly mom and dad are buying their little princess her first condominium. She demands all the upgrades: the kitchen must be professional grade, big jetted tub, office space and .... a huge walk-in closet for her 500 shoes, 400 handbag and tons and tons of clothes. When the realtor shows her the condo, the princess acts pretty nonchalant until she is shown the massive walk-in closet. At that point, princess enters closet, thirds around and around and, I swear with everything holy, has an epic sexual experience. The condo is about half a mil. Daddy says no, too much money. Princess gets mommy aside, whisper, whisper, and guess what happens next? She gets the half mil condo.

by Anonymousreply 27503/20/2013

Should have read "twirls".

by Anonymousreply 27603/20/2013

YES!! ****** RE SELLING NEW YORK which showcases the yenta and her 2 daughters. You know there's a time when you need to tone it down and dress age appropriate. She's trying way too hard with the BIRKIN BAG, tight dresses, high heels and hair parted down the middle. A few bangs would serve her well...I don't need to see that little wrinkled billboard of a forehead. She's a real JAP.

You think with her income and access, she could tighten up the skin and resurface her face. She looks like one of those cigarette smoking, tanned leather Miami women. And the daughters, well why work anywhere else?

by Anonymousreply 27703/20/2013

Wow. It's so edgy to read for the 8th time about how stupid wives are for making a fuss over granite and stainless steel. The first seven times just slipped right past the poster.

And it's already been pointed out multiple times that the House.Is. Already. Bought. when the show is filmed. The two other homes were never even looked at by the purchasers. Yeah, it's pretty much scripted, kids.

But keep making those scathing, original "granite and stainless steel" comments.

by Anonymousreply 27803/20/2013

It seems like all anyone wants in a house is granite countertops and stainless steel appliances! Has anyone noticed that?

(that was especially for R278)

I would love if they revisited folks in 3-5 years, and they could call it "HouseHunters: Foreclosures". I seriously don't understand how some 20-somethings are buying $500K homes. Whatever happened to "starter" homes?

by Anonymousreply 27903/20/2013

Face it, it's more entertaining when they have a little quirk or some particular want.

Everyone wants open concept, granite countertops etc etc etc.

But I love it when someone wants something unusual.

by Anonymousreply 28006/28/2013

You keep forgetting hardwood floors throughout.

by Anonymousreply 28106/28/2013

I also love when someone says "I have great taste!"

Because inevitably, they prove otherwise in the next 30 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 28206/28/2013

Why does everyone on that show hate split level homes?

by Anonymousreply 28306/28/2013

When I hear "outdated kitchen" I picture a kitchen from the 70s or the 80s with formica countertops, a vinyl floor, a small range, a one-door Sears fridge, etc. Yet what we see on these shows are completely fabulous, up-to-date kitchens that look like they were remodeled less than a year ago. Yet the spoiled rotten bitch princesses and their pussy-whipped hubbies sneer that they're "outdated." You just want to smack the entitled shit out of them.

by Anonymousreply 28406/28/2013

[Why does everyone on that show hate split level homes?]

What will happen to the children! The Children!

by Anonymousreply 28506/28/2013

Every entitled Frau and whipped newlywed does that though. First priority "oh the entire kitchen will need to be ripped out." A guy at work used to bore me with photos of his progress in ripping out and reinstalling shit. I guess he was proud of doing it, but it was boring. Why doesn't anyone buy a house where they actually like the kitchen and bath?

by Anonymousreply 28706/28/2013

Hardwood floors are "too light"/"too dark."

I saw an episode where a young woman was looking at a super modern loft and brought along a male friend. The bathroom walls didn't go all the way up to the ceiling so it was somewhat open air like a cubicle. The guy friend loved the whole place. All she said was "I'm concerned about the open bathroom" which obviously was code for "how do I take a shit in this place and keep a man?"

by Anonymousreply 28806/28/2013

The show is a complete fake. It's staged you idiots.

by Anonymousreply 28906/28/2013

Americans who say "wow!" "This is the foyer." "Wow!" "This is the master bedroom." "Wow!" "This is the back yard." "Wow!"

Americans who have been in the UK for at least 5 minutes: "This is the foyer." "Quite nice!" "This is the master bedroom." "Quite lovely!" "This is the garden." "Quite large!"

by Anonymousreply 29006/29/2013

Is this chocolate brown shag carpet?

by Anonymousreply 29106/29/2013

Open concept...

means you can entertain! That is, cook while everyone critiques.

means the mess shows.

means while you are cooking your parter/husband/lover turns the television's volume to unbearable levels because you are making noise.

means the carpet, the drapes, and the upholstry all smell like food.

It reminds me of a bit of dialogue from The Big Chill:

00:23:55 l feel like l have never been alone in my own house.

00:23:58 Never. Either Richard is there, or the boys or the housekeeper.

00:24:03 Remember those lab rats who went crazy when deprived of privacy?

00:24:06 They're living with you too?

by Anonymousreply 29206/29/2013

A friend of mine was on Househunters. They already had a house when they were chosen. The producers have to find dummy houses which are apparently not that easy to find. They fed them lines, made the wife the bitch and the husband the passive one. She said that she was supposed to scoff at a bedroom and say, this is more like a shoe closet for me. It was the size of her bedroom growing up. It's all fake.

by Anonymousreply 29306/29/2013

OMG! Is that LINOLEUM!! Eeek!

by Anonymousreply 29406/29/2013

How has no one brought up Scott McGillivray? HGTV's hottest piece.

by Anonymousreply 29506/29/2013

Why is the domestic US "Househunters" so different from "Househunters Int'l"?

In the US one, the wives are shrewish, the hubbies doltish and they just want big, big, big and new, new, new. In the International version, they're mostly still americans living abroad but they want centrally located to enable a healthy, car-free, walking lifestyle and/or close to public transit.

by Anonymousreply 29606/29/2013

Why does someone keep reviving this thread with stupid comments about the show? It must be an intern hired by HGTV or the company that produces the show to pump up interest in it online. The show has always been a fraud that the American public has lapped up like Chicken "McNuggets". I do not understand how they get away with the fraud in the USA. If it was made in Canada they'd be sued by the government and loose. Total BS like this cannot be produced in Canada. Americans want to be deceived - they live through TV shows like this. It's part of the American celebrity culture where you live more exciting lives through stars, porn and TV shows.

by Anonymousreply 29806/29/2013

R296, the women are just as bad on the int'l version. Fat, Seattle woman in Italy looking at an apartment in a building built circa the 1300's. "What, no parking right outside? We'll have to walk from the car?" "I'm a little concerned about my hot tub fitting somewhere, I really don't think I can live without it".

by Anonymousreply 29906/29/2013

r298 if you don't like this thread then don't read it. The comments here are funny.

by Anonymousreply 30006/29/2013

As has been mentioned all of these fraus "love to entertain". I'm guessing they have very few friends and rarely entertain.

The mothers are inevitably concerned about stairs and sharp corners because of little Breelynn.

It's amazing how I grew up around stairs, open fires, light sockets, and no car seats and managed to survive.

by Anonymousreply 30106/29/2013

"not a fan of the wall color"

by Anonymousreply 30206/29/2013

[quote] not a fan of the wall color

if only there was a way it could be changed to another color.

by Anonymousreply 30306/29/2013

Why do the couples on House Hunters always pick the house with the least redeeming architecture? They pick the ugliest, plainest house every time. I guess it's the difference between gay and straight couples. A gay couple will give up some practicalities to live in a beautiful, architecturally significant home, while a straight couple never will.

by Anonymousreply 30406/29/2013

I still find it amusing, and entertaining, unlike most heinous reality TV.

by Anonymousreply 30506/29/2013

First of all, I think it's fake. Someone told me that by the time couples appear on House Hunters, they have actually bought one of the houses so it's not authentic.

I agree with all these awful comments that people make, most of them having NO CLUE about what things in desirable areas really cost. But what gets me every time is the first segment where they talk about WHY they want to move. "Well, we live in a 500 square foot apartment and its a little small for us and our 3 dobermans." Why the hell did they take such a small apartment in the first place, or get such big fucking dogs if they weren't in their own house? I also love when the frau wife bags on living with her husband's family. "Well, we're living with his folks in the tiny bedroom he lived in when he was growing up." No appreciation whatsoever!!! It's like, "bitch, be thankful your fat ass has a place to sleep because your parents obviously didn't invite you back."

by Anonymousreply 30606/29/2013

Why would anyone want to celebrate this show and participate in the fraud it has put over on the American people? I just don't get it. Doesn't truth matter? Aren't you ashamed that you are a willing victim of this cultural kool-aid?

by Anonymousreply 30706/30/2013

They had two old bitchy bears on Love It Or List It tonight and I wanted to cunt punt both of them.

by Anonymousreply 30807/01/2013

are they the ones that wanted to downsize? I think I saw that episode. I love the fake shade that Hillary and David throw at each other.

by Anonymousreply 30907/02/2013

Yes, R309. I know it's all faked but the old queen was being especially cunty.

400K for a condo in Toronto. Maybe when he was young and the earth was still cooling....but not now......

Every time it's two guys on that show, one of them is a drama queen beyond any compare.

by Anonymousreply 31007/02/2013

[quote]First of all, I think it's fake. Someone told me that by the time couples appear on House Hunters, they have actually bought one of the houses so it's not authentic

Yes it is "fake" in that the couples have already selected their homes. But who cares about the couples? I like to see the different types of homes. And I like reviewing the home features, and picturing which one I would choose. The homes aren't fake.

by Anonymousreply 31107/02/2013

In this thread I see definite proof that IQs are declining rapidly.

by Anonymousreply 31207/02/2013

"Are you ready to sign your life away?!"

by Anonymousreply 31307/02/2013

To me the most irritating comments come from people who don't seem to understand that, since they're poor, they cannot afford everything.

The idea of a first or second house as the 'dream house' is a reflection of society. In years past, people understood the idea of a 'starter' house and upgrading over time.

If you can only afford a home for $300K, then guess what, you need to adjust your expectations accordingly.

by Anonymousreply 31407/02/2013

by Anonymousreply 31507/02/2013

Come sit beside me, R314.

Rich people concede things from their wish lists when they buy houses, yet people stretching to buy a modest starter home evidently feel they are immune from such indignities -- and want it all, now.

Another dimension of this trend is that many buyers think that they are ace negotiators, and disparage any seller who doesn't bow and scrape to accept the irrationally lowball ball offers of people who can't afford their dream house. They blame the seller for being "unreasonable" every time, when all it takes is more money and a reasonable offer.

Desperate to buy doesn't always mean the seller is likewise desperate to sell.

On the U.K. series, "Location, Location, Location", I've come to like the co-host Kirstie Alsopp because she is so blunt and unaccommodating to her buyers:

"Forget it, you are going to have to do handstands to consider buying even a one-bedroom. It's beyond your reach to offer a second-bedroom for your friends and in-laws to flop in. That's why they have hotels. When you're rich, then you can play hotelier."

by Anonymousreply 31607/02/2013

[quote] Rich people concede things from their wish lists when they buy houses, yet people stretching to buy a modest starter home evidently feel they are immune from such indignities -- and want it all, now

You're still not getting it.

The couples on the show never considered buying the "too expensive house."

They never *saw* the too expensive house until after they bought their home.

They. already. bought. their. home. and. HGTV. contacted. them. after. the. fact. through. their. realtor. and. asked. them. to. look. at. two. other. homes. of. HGTV's. choosing. (again -- which the couples have never seen before) and ....pretend.... key word here is PRETEND they were considering buying one of them.

It's HGTV that is showing YOU -- not the couples-- the too-expensive house. The couples are just playing along. If the couple bought a bland $250K tract home, it would be boring to look at two more bland tract homes. So HGTV spices it up by throwing in an overpriced house with all the bells and whistles.

The couple never even considered that house.

HGTV put it in there to keep you interested and the couples played along with the script.

Getting it yet?

If you really believe these couples were looking at houses way out of their budget, you have a severe learning disability. What is it about "the couple already purchased their home and HGTV contacted them after the fact and showed them two houses of HGTV's choosing" do you not understand?

by Anonymousreply 31707/02/2013

Jesus Christ, calm the fuck down. You sound like Bill Donahue of the Catholic League. The only problem is that we won't be able to enjoys seeing you have a stroke, like we will when Bill has one on television.If this upsets you so much,read threads that are more your speed, like the types of anti-depressants people take.

by Anonymousreply 31807/02/2013

Whenever I hear someone on HH say, "This bathroom is outdated," I holler back, "Doesn't it have a flush toilet? Running water?"

by Anonymousreply 31907/02/2013

I sometimes watched that first-time buyers show that was set in Toronto. The hostess (?) took them to their favorite neighborhood and then gleefully told them that the homes were triple their budget.

It's amazing how much houses cost in Toronto though. Can't believe what they pay for some dumpy asbestos-shingled row house on a busy street.

by Anonymousreply 32007/02/2013

If tards are going to get all huffy about couples pretending they want to buy a house out of their budget, then I can get huffy at the tards for being stupid enough to believe the scripted fakery is for real.

by Anonymousreply 32107/02/2013

Just saw an HGTV show which was totally interrupted for me by Dr's office calling. It was the one on 9/30/13 that showcased the homes (attached?) right on the beach in Spain. What I wanted to find out, please, is if those homes are closer to Portugal, or in the other direction? Many thanks!

by Anonymousreply 32210/01/2013

R12 Fido turns out to be a Chihuahua.

by Anonymousreply 32310/01/2013

Do you think EVERYONE wants to entertain that much!!!

by Anonymousreply 32411/01/2013

"This pool really needs updating"

by Anonymousreply 32512/28/2013

(On House Hunters International, Walking through a house that was built in the Middle Ages) "This just feels so small and outdated!"

by Anonymousreply 32612/28/2013

If you've watched "Manor in the Sky", about Candy Spellings search for an apartment in New York (now that she's a Broadway producer...WTF?) you missed out on a classic.

She commented on a place that had a master with an ensuite, a second bedroom with an ensuite and a third room currently being used as an office. "theres no bathroom? I don't expect my guests to be wandering through the living room on their way to the bathroom".

So many things to tear apart but uh, why not use the second bedroom as the guestroom and use the room currently as a den/office as a den/office.

by Anonymousreply 32712/28/2013

"We can make this into a naughty room" - real comment by the guy half of a straight couple when they were in the cellar. Eden Prairie, Minnesota episode

by Anonymousreply 32801/28/2014

But I really want granite.................!

It's not a craftsmans! (style of home)!

Ew, carpeting!?!

It's not Destin! (as in Florida)

I want an Island!

It's only 3 bedrooms!?! (newly married couple!)

by Anonymousreply 32909/17/2014

Hipster urban couple moving into 1st home:

We want an older house with some character

The kitchen is really out-dated and the rooms are too small and no walk in closets!

by Anonymousreply 33009/17/2014

My favorites are always the people who want to live in the heart of a city to be close by to restaurants, bars and coffee shops.... then they proceed to bitch about how noisy all the properties are. WHAT THE FUCK DID YOU EXPECT?

by Anonymousreply 33109/17/2014

I just watched an episode of House Hunters International, and I was so hoping the realtor would haul off and punch this couple right in their mouths. They were retiring early, and budgeted $150K for their new house. They claimed they wanted to simplify & downsize. They wanted a place on the beach, 3 bedrooms, under budget.

They proceeded to bitch about everything.

Two of the places weren't "on the beach". One place had 2 levels, they didn't want that. One place didn't have a nice yard for their dogs. One place was "dated" and they didn't want to do any work on it (you're fucking retiring at 50!). One place was a condo with a neighbor upstairs. One place was a house instead of a condo and it would require maintenance. One place only had one bathroom. All this shit that was never on their wish list. Finally, when they started cunting about the small kitchen with a dining table for two, the realtor snapped, "well you said you wanted to downsize."

Seriously, I don't know how he held it in so long. I would've cracked their skulls together like two coconuts. Goddamned motherfuckers.

by Anonymousreply 33209/18/2014

Whatever comments are made on HGTV couldn't possibly be as stupid and noxious as the comments being made here. Yes, you can repaint (and probably repaint every 5-10 years thereafter). But when you hate the countertops, the appliances, the carpet, the light fixtures, and the window treatments, you're talking about tens of thousands of dollars in changes in the relatively short term.

What all those criticisms really mean is that there is not enough appeal in the house to make it worthwhile to pay for all the changes they would want to make.

by Anonymousreply 33311/27/2014

Really? This many posts?

Come on, guys.

There are better threads upon which to post.

by Anonymousreply 33411/27/2014

"There're too many buff Canadian gay men in the hot tub."

by Anonymousreply 33511/27/2014

"Is this the original dirt floor?"

by Anonymousreply 33611/27/2014

These shows are so made up that most of the bitching is just there to fill the time, no matter how inane the comments. Someone has to fill in time between commercials!

by Anonymousreply 33711/27/2014

"The basement is too small for R334's dungeon paraphernalia."

by Anonymousreply 33811/27/2014

The fraus who insist on having "an open and airy" floor plan. They don't want to be closed off in a separate kitchen. After all, they have to be the fucking center of attention and they don't want to miss anything. In the interim, the cooking odors permeate the house and the kitchen grease clings to the sofas, curtains and rugs.

by Anonymousreply 33911/28/2014

I hate all those people so much so I actually scream at the TV screen. Most of them have a false sense of entitlement, act very self-absorbed and think that they deserve to live high hog. And they all want to completely tear down what they see and waste a whole bunch of money remodeling perfectly good living spaces. It got so sickening to men I just quit watching all those shows. The producers seem to think it's funny picking out the crap people to star, when it's actually hurting the show and outraging viewers.

by Anonymousreply 34011/28/2014

I'm not a fan of all the people who say they are not fans.

"I'm not a fan of carpeting. I like hardwood floors."

"Not a fan of these tiles."

"I'm really not much of a wallpaper fan."

by Anonymousreply 34101/26/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!