Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Newt Gingrich confronted by College Student about Affair

February 23, 2011

Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich was confronted Tuesday night by a college student asking about his extramarital affair during the 1990s.

"You adamantly oppose gay rights... but you've also been married three times and admitted to having an affair with your current wife while you were still married to your second," Isabel Friedman, president of the Penn Democrats, asked Gingrich after a speech at the University of Pennsylvania, according to Politico. "As a successful politician who's considering running for president, who would set the bar for moral conduct and be the voice of the American people, how do you reconcile this hypocritical interpretation of the religious values that you so vigorously defend?"

Revelations of Gingrich's infidelity triggered intense scrutiny, especially considering his own role in the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal, though some have suggested that the Speaker of the House and the President had then bonded over their indiscretions. Despite prior candor on the matter, however, Gingrich held his ground on Tuesday.

"I'll bet almost everybody here can gather the thrust of your question," he said. "I appreciate the delicacy and generosity in the way it was framed.... I hope you feel better about yourself.

Gingrich, who has been floated as a potential 2012 presidential candidate, then offered an explanation similar to the ones he's given before.

"I've had a life which, on occasion, has had problems," Gingrich said. "I believe in a forgiving God, and the American people will have to decide whether that their primary concern. If the primary concern of the American people is my past, my candidacy would be irrelevant. If the primary concern of the American people is the future... that's a debate I'll be happy to have with your candidate or any other candidate if I decide to run."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4003/08/2011

I wish he would have answered the question.

by Anonymousreply 102/23/2011

Yeah, he didn't answer the question.

He gave the typical b.s. answer about his life, god, etc.

The media needs to ask him lots of tough follow up questions if he runs.

by Anonymousreply 202/23/2011

Make no mistake, Mr. Gingrich, your past makes us want you to have to do with our future.

by Anonymousreply 302/23/2011

"The media needs to ask him lots of tough follow up questions if he runs."

If the media actually did their job, Newt wouldn't even be considered a candidate to run and a student like Friedman wouldn't have to ask.

The media just lets that pumpkin-headed shithead sit there like an elder statesman to lie and pass judgment on others.

by Anonymousreply 402/23/2011

The girl who asked this question is awesome

by Anonymousreply 502/24/2011

Of course, it is the traditional "non-answer answer" (see "All the President's Men")- attack the questioner and make yourself just one little grain of sand in this vast beach of humanity where everyone makes a mistake or two , and then hide behind a "forgiving god" , and wahtever you do, DO NOT answer the question. what slime.

by Anonymousreply 602/24/2011

He's a pervert. He used to make a daily exhibition of himself getting blowjobs in his car in the Capitol parking lot. It just makes me so angry that he's given any kind of prestigious platform from which to speak. The Weekly World News is the caliber of exposure he deserves.

by Anonymousreply 702/24/2011

The same can be said of Sen. John McCain. As a Navy officer, he dated a junior officer on his staff while still married. The fact that he was dating her while she served on his staff would get someone kicked out. Not McCain. The fact that he was married and dating another woman could have gotten another officer kicked out. Not John McCain.

by Anonymousreply 802/24/2011

This is old news about Newt Gingrich. He was having an affair while his wife was dying in the hospital.

by Anonymousreply 902/24/2011

Dicks don't change their spots.

by Anonymousreply 1002/24/2011

Just more dredging up of the past. Move on, there's nothing to see here.

by Anonymousreply 1102/24/2011

The adulterer calling the homosexual a sinner. That's really slick, but apparently his ticket to the Kingdom has also been revoked.

by Anonymousreply 1202/24/2011

"I wish he would have answered the question."%0D %0D That's the Republican way of answering. She's obviously a plant in the audience, or she would have said, "As a failed politician with questionable moral values...".

by Anonymousreply 1302/24/2011

Good for this girl. Someone needs to call these people out on their bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 1402/24/2011

The fact that so many of the contenders for the Republican nomination (Gingrich, Giuliani, Trump etc) have been married multiple times and committed adultery, tells you a lot about the GOP.

by Anonymousreply 1502/24/2011

The "Jesus died for my sins, I'm already forgiven" thing is very attractive. For one thing, it holds the truth that if a person realizes their error, holding on to guilt is crippling and completely unnecessary. On the other hand, this meme also attracts disingenuous, hypocritical liars and sociopaths like Neo-Cons who use it as a constant get out of jail free card, with no intention of changing their ways.

by Anonymousreply 1602/24/2011

True, R16. I think Sen. Vitter did the same thing when he was caught cheating with prostitutes.

by Anonymousreply 1702/24/2011

[quote]This is old news about Newt Gingrich. He was having an affair while his wife was dying in the hospital.

She was recovering from cancer surgery when he served her divorce papers. She wasn't dying and is still living but a shitty and awful thing to do to say the least.

by Anonymousreply 1802/24/2011

"This is old news about Newt Gingrich."

Are you part of Newt's PR team? It is very much still relevant today if Newt is going to run for office and preach moral values.

by Anonymousreply 1902/24/2011

He did say "thrust" though.

by Anonymousreply 2002/24/2011

Why is it always women who confront the bullies?

by Anonymousreply 2102/24/2011

Last year someone posted a link to his website after he made some silly pronouncement and we posted there, blasting him for five or six days. They kept erasing the posts at the end of each day but he really found out that people aren't going to forget his adultry.

by Anonymousreply 2202/24/2011

The fact that so many of the contenders for the Republican nomination (Gingrich, Giuliani, Trump etc) have been married multiple times and committed adultery, tells you a lot about the GOP.

R15, in all fairness, Franklin Roosevelt, Lyndon Johnson, J.F Kennedy, Bill Clinton etc. committed adultery tells you a lot about the Democrat Party history.

by Anonymousreply 2302/24/2011

Yes, R22. It was amazing that he had the nerve to criticize gay marriage as being a threat to the sanctity of marriage considering his own track record.

by Anonymousreply 2402/24/2011

R23, the difference is that they didn't pretend they were the party of traditional values

by Anonymousreply 2502/24/2011

[quote]in all fairness, Franklin Roosevelt, Lyndon Johnson, J.F Kennedy, Bill Clinton etc. committed adultery tells you a lot about the Democrat Party history.%0D %0D %0D LOL Do you honestly think we'll let you claim "fairness" when it's the Republican tramps who campaign with a platform of "FAMILY VALUES"!!!%0D %0D Your "fairness" is a bunch of bullcrap, just like all the crap from the Republican party.

by Anonymousreply 2602/24/2011

in all fairness, Franklin Roosevelt, Lyndon Johnson, J.F Kennedy, Bill Clinton etc. committed adultery tells you a lot about the Democrat Party history."

Yeah sure, but when your platform is touting "family values" and moral superiority, it makes you a liar and a hypocrite you lowlife Republican.

by Anonymousreply 2702/24/2011

Gingrinch is a turd.

by Anonymousreply 2802/24/2011

Whatever became of Candace? She was so hot. Instead of that whore Megan McCain the talk shows should invite Candace.

by Anonymousreply 2902/24/2011

R23, let me understand you people once and for all: Why do you all keep pulling this shit where you're either stupid or knowingly playing stupid?

You know damned well that most of us could not give a shit if any of these people have affairs or get married a million times. It is the H Y P O C R I S Y with which we ALWAYS take issue, so stop this bullshit where you mention people who do not attempt to legislate "family values" in the same breath as every fucking Republican who does. OK? Enough is enough. Either you finally get it through your thick head or you don't.

by Anonymousreply 3002/24/2011

R23, it's not just that Republicans shout "family values" and "defense of marriage" while happily fucking away behind their spouse's back, although that's a big part of it.

Another issue is that politicians with a history of cheating and closeting seek to vilify citizens based on consensual adult sexual conduct. Their own behavior suggests that they do it only because they want a scapegoat which will help them manipulate voters and win elections. As a member of a group they're attempting to scapegoat for their own cynical ends, I choose to speak out about it, and I don't think your brand of "fairness" about a long-dead president fucking around has any merit at all.

by Anonymousreply 3102/24/2011

Jesus forgives anything so long as you're Republican.

by Anonymousreply 3202/24/2011

And it's the Democratic party, not the Democrat party, Mr. "In all fairness."%0D %0D "I hope you feel better about yourself" is the height of passive-aggressive smarm.

by Anonymousreply 3302/24/2011

Exactly, R30 and R31.

Until Gingrich and his ilk agree that they have no right to oppose gay marriage as being a threat to traditional values, we will continue to bring up their hypocritical behavior.

by Anonymousreply 3402/24/2011

I know I'd feel better about myself if I had the balls to do it.

by Anonymousreply 3502/24/2011

r23 is insane

by Anonymousreply 3602/25/2011

I hope he gets confronted about marriage every time he opens his lying mouth.

by Anonymousreply 3703/08/2011

A friend of mine was at Tulane while Gingrich was there working on his doctorate, and he said Newt was the biggest pot head on campus. The boy was stoned 24/7.

by Anonymousreply 3803/08/2011

I agree, R37

by Anonymousreply 3903/08/2011

I worry a lot about the cruddy, self-centered things I've done in my life. I'm sort of amazed that someone can so completely ignore them and sail on into the next episode without any apparent regret.%0D %0D (Amazed doesn't mean that I approve...)

by Anonymousreply 4003/08/2011
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Don't you just LOVE clicking on these things on every single site you visit? I know we do! You can thank the EU parliament for making everyone in the world click on these pointless things while changing absolutely nothing. If you are interested you can take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT and we'll set a dreaded cookie to make it go away. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!