Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gay Anthroposophist- Rudlof Steiner

Ok, I met this great guy. Everything has been going fine, blah, blah... Last night he told me that he is a follower of Rudolf Steiner (Anthroposophy). I did some research on Google and found some pretty weird stuff. They believe in the lost city of Atlantis. The believe that mentally retarded children were afraid to be born. Children are not taught to read until the second grade. Rudolf Steiner seems like quite a racist (Ok, it was the late 19th century and early 20th century.) Is this a cult like Scientology? There seem to be several anti-Anthropsophist sites out there.

by Anonymousreply 2606/29/2013

There are lots of Rudolf Steiner-inspired schools here in Germany.

It's a birkenstock-wearing hippy thing - certainly nothing to be afraid of.

by Anonymousreply 102/23/2011

no right-angles in buildings. that's all I recall.

by Anonymousreply 302/23/2011

It's harmless. But your title is misleading.

by Anonymousreply 402/23/2011

Well, I've never looked into it deeply - all I know is that everyone here makes fun of kids who attend(ed) Waldorf schools as naive, unwordly tree-huggers. Nobody sees anything sinister about them at all(and Germany is probably the country most critical of Scientology in the world).

Steiner himself certainly was an unsavoury character, but I don't think they take his words as gospel nowadays - I'd certainly be VERY surprised to find any kind of racism at a Waldorf school.

by Anonymousreply 502/23/2011

I should add that the guy in question is not Hippie-dippie at all. He is an engineer and very math and science oriented.

by Anonymousreply 602/23/2011

R4, I apologize. Now that I have re-read it, I see that you are right. I am not saying that Rudolf Steiner was gay. I am sorry that I cannot correct it.

by Anonymousreply 702/23/2011

I have studied RS words well over the years.. and although there is much to anthroposophy that vibrates well for me I have to say in addition that there is a lot to be said about the present condition of the institution. RS himself declared that his words were not to be taken literally and that he was not a leader, this is not reflective of the 'cult-like' institution that is currently on offer. There is contradiction and prejudice rife within the society amongst its teachers, doctors and healers. the subject of homosexuality within the beliefs of the institution are completely homophobic and perspective of the interpreter. In RS's origins of man, it states all humans were created equal until the fall and when we became two sexes for pro-creation purposes, this indicates that we are all equal and the subject of homosexuality or more to the point the prejudice associated with it,is nothing more than a creation of man-kind himself. I had been in a long-term relationship with another male who now teaches within the wardolf schools. he has since turned to heterosexuality for the sake of his soul! This is just one occurrence I've experienced that signify's the 'cult-like' system of anthroposophy.. it breeds fear. Our purpose should truly be only to be good little humans, to ourselves and others.. the rest should follow their deities. Brad Wotton

by Anonymousreply 809/10/2012

I don't think it's a cult. My friend's kids are in an anthroposophic school in Italy. They learn through doing (similar to John Dewey's philosophy); they do not have too much stimulation, which means anything from limited internet to not learning about the cosmos (because they'd be overwhelmed); the kids all knit; their playtime is imaginative (they create all props from foam blocks and fabric); I am prohibited from buying the children any plastic toys.

There's more to it, but that's what I remember. The result? Sweet kids who can spend an hour playing with a sock puppet. They take turns. They can engage in a conversation and stay quiet when they're playing independently.

How much of that is owing to theosophy versus the involved parents who would investigate and enroll their kids in an alternative school is hard to say.

My friend picked this school because she wanted her kids in a private school that was not religious.

by Anonymousreply 909/10/2012

Sounds like a good education model to me.

by Anonymousreply 1009/10/2012

It's for people who think that saying "I'm not religious, I'm spiritual" is any less crazy.

Dig deeper OP. He's maybe just into it in the same way that a 15 year old discovering Nietzsche thinks that the philosophy is directed right at him. I.e. it might be a fad.

by Anonymousreply 1109/10/2012

There's an anthroposophic bookstore across from my grocery store. It looks scary.

As for those claiming it is a scary cult, well, aren't those cults themselves like the Mormons?

by Anonymousreply 1209/10/2012

"...although there is much to anthroposophy that vibrates well for me..."

Please tell me you wrote this as a parody.

by Anonymousreply 1309/10/2012

I think there are many people who are not ready for Steiner. A person has to have some deeper understanding of the spiritual world.

It is very sad to see the negative comments here based on ignorance. For example, if a man decides to be heterosexual and stop being homosexual, that is a personal choice. Like in any other spiritual philosophy. Otherwise we can also say that the catholic church is a cult because they do not approve homosexuality and sexual protection or abortions.

The best things to do is to be neutral when we do not understand something. Otherwise we just play "stupid" or "ignorant" perhaps we need to read more of Rudolf Steiner, but again, many people do not have that high state of consciousness yet.

by Anonymousreply 1403/27/2013

I think there are many people who are not ready for Steiner. A person has to have some deeper understanding of the spiritual world.

It is very sad to see the negative comments here based on ignorance. For example, if a man decides to be heterosexual and stop being homosexual, that is a personal choice. Like in any other spiritual philosophy. Otherwise we can also say that the catholic church is a cult because they do not approve homosexuality and sexual protection or abortions.

The best things to do is to be neutral when we do not understand something. Otherwise we just play "stupid" or "ignorant" perhaps we need to read more of Rudolf Steiner, but again, many people do not have that high state of consciousness yet.

by Anonymousreply 1503/27/2013

NO Square Angles - EVAH!

by Anonymousreply 1603/27/2013

I did one year volunteer work in a Rudolf Steiner farm in Scotland. It's a HUGE money milking machine. The Rudolf Steiner organization take large amount of money from the government to take care of people with a learning disability. They buy very expensive properties (castle, large farm areas etc).

They believe in reincarnation (only between people not animals), Jesus, astronomy and yes an Atlantis like place.

They believe people with learning disabilities are people where the transition from a previous life to the present life went wrong.

They believe that homosexuals have a hard time giving up on their previous life as a man/woman.

Rudolf Steiner children growing up in RS communities are the most hideous and spoiled children there exist.

by Anonymousreply 1703/27/2013

"Anthroposophist"? Is that like "analrapist"?

by Anonymousreply 1803/27/2013

I prefer Max Steiner.

by Anonymousreply 1903/27/2013

Rudolf Steiner's insights include Anthroposophic Medicine, Biodynamic farming, and Waldorf education. When my children were young, we found the 'child's garden' as some of their pre-schools are called in Princeton, New Jersey. To help the school, a few of us parents surveyed Waldorf School in North America. The objective studies done on graduates of Waldorf education call attention to how civil, social, well rounded and astute are the young people who are educated in this way. Each child is different. From studying Steiner's writing it would likely disappoint him that some people 'hang on his words' rather than be inspired as he was to rethink based on a certain intellectual history. Steiner edited Goethe's writing before maturing through Theosophy to his approaches most of which have by now been validated.

by Anonymousreply 2006/29/2013

I prefer Rudi Gernreich!

by Anonymousreply 2106/29/2013

If you fancy an attenuated form of Lutheranism seen through the world-view of Rudolph Steiner, the Anthroposophy of the Waldorf Schools would be a good fit.

by Anonymousreply 2206/29/2013

OP there are many great people interested in Steiner for what he contributed to or how he influenced mysticism, psychology, psychiatry and even, like Michael Chekhov, acting. I wasn't aware that he held worrisome or objectionable views until this thread. I would take this as an opportunity to discuss Steiner with this great new guy and keep things interesting. You may find that your friend doesn't ascribe to any of the parts of Steiner's philosophy that worry you.

Freud had some very strange and objectionable views too. But being a Freudian doesn't mean someone believes all of those.

by Anonymousreply 2306/29/2013

I was really shocked to see this thread of mine from 2011 got a new life in 2013. The "great guy" and I are no longer together due to issues that had nothing to do with Rudolf Steiner. I do find the comments interesting. Please continue.

by Anonymousreply 2406/29/2013

I bet it was your "ex" who bumped this tread

by Anonymousreply 2506/29/2013

I doubt it was him. He has been out of the picture since 2011, and his name wasn't Russ either.

[quote]The objective studies done on graduates of Waldorf education...

I am curious about this comment. My understanding is that Waldorf schools are very protective of this information making it virtually impossible to do a study objective or otherwise. Can anyone link to a study?

by Anonymousreply 2606/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.