Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Does everybody just have it, or what?

This has always been kind of my most feared of the STDs. I KNOW how not to get HIV, but herpes seems much, much simpler to catch. I like to give head, too. I always check for blisters, but it can be transmitted with no blisters present, right?

I've just kind of reached the end of my rope with the whole thing. Apparently it can be controlled with a pill, anyways. I see people with cold sores and fever blisters all the time.

by Anonymousreply 15205/15/2014

I see them too, OP, and I snicker at them.

by Anonymousreply 102/22/2011

My ex just got it. Sucks to be him.

by Anonymousreply 202/22/2011

Think of Herpes as a special, magical friend that you get to take everywhere! It is your own Tinkerbelle!

by Anonymousreply 302/22/2011

Noooo! neither me nor my husband of 16 year have it/had it/nor want it!

by Anonymousreply 402/22/2011

I love it when people with herpes have a breakout and try to claim it's a fever blister or something. You have an with it.

by Anonymousreply 502/22/2011

I got it at age 19, almost 40 years ago.%0D

by Anonymousreply 602/22/2011

You have Precambrian Herpes, R6. It wouldn't affect anyone now living.

by Anonymousreply 702/22/2011

lol @ r7

by Anonymousreply 802/22/2011

Fever blisters are a strain of herpes, jackass @ r5.

by Anonymousreply 902/22/2011

At least half of the people I know well have admitted they have it. I always test negative but suspect I'm just asymptomatic or am just a genetic mutant who is immune to it. I'm not allergic to poison ivy.

by Anonymousreply 1002/22/2011

Both my sisters and two of my friends have it. All of them are straight women.%0D %0D %0D I just figure it's the same as most other STDs; all evil things come from the penis, and as long as I don't touch one, or touch anyone who has touched one, I won't have a problem.

by Anonymousreply 1102/22/2011

I've got hpv but have never had an outbreak at all. I was quite shocked when my Dr said "Oh you have herpes" and didn't believe me when I told her I've never had a cold sore, etc. Then I went to another Dr and was told I have the strain of hpv that can cause cervical cancer, not genital warts. It's frustrating to know that there's a file in my folder at my PCP's office saying I have genital warts, when I never have.

by Anonymousreply 1202/22/2011

What evolutionary function do STDs play?

by Anonymousreply 1302/22/2011

R11 I'm hoping you are a troll. Two reasons: first- your sisters have the herp, second- your lack of education on lesbians and STDs- and the fact that they are understudied.

by Anonymousreply 1402/22/2011

r12 Ive heard that HPV is so common that most people who are sexually active have it. This is mostly because men rarely get symptoms and they pass it to a female.

by Anonymousreply 1502/22/2011

My poodle's name is Herpes.

by Anonymousreply 1602/22/2011

R12, 90% of people who have herpes don't have symptoms so your first doctor is an idiot. But, you need to have a conversation with your second doctor or spend some time educating yourself on the web since HPV (Human Papillomavirus) and HSV (genital herpes) are 2 very different diseases. They're both STDs, they're both viruses, and they're both invisible to many people who have them, but they're still different diseases. Check out the fact sheets (it will be 5 minutes well spent) on CDC's website.

by Anonymousreply 1702/22/2011

R12 here. R17, It's HPV for sure. The first Dr who told me I had genital wart herpes was just a regular doctor who ran a routine std test. I went to my ob/gyn a couple of weeks later for my annual exam and was told that no, I have the HPV strain that causes cervical cancer (she gave me the strain number but I forget what it was). She told me they found no sign of the strain my other doctor said I had and that often times Drs will confuse the strains if they don't know their shit.

It caused an abnormal pap, I had to get a colposcopy, get rechecked 6 months later and was told that all of the abnormal cells on my cervix were gone but the HPV was still present in the lab tests. She said it can take a couple of years to go away. End result: I had 3 lab tests that said I had cervical cancer HPV and one incorrect reading that I had full on genital herpes. I hope my chart gets left behind in an office fire one day.

R12, HPV is very common. The statistics go that if someone has 1 sexual partner a year for 4 years, they have an 85% chance of getting it- even with condom use.

Sorry if that was too much boring, gross female TMI there.

by Anonymousreply 1802/22/2011

I've always tried to be careful about not catching STD's but somehow got anal warts/HPV about 10 years ago (the first time I got fucked the married guy didn't put the condom on in the dark, only got fucked 5 other times with condoms, but you can get it from being fingered). So, I haven't bottomed since I found out. Last October, I met some guy and he had an uncut cock and pre-cum which I try to avoid, so we made out for a few hours. A few weeks later I got sick so I emailed him to make sure he was HIV-neg and he said yes but he got a cold sore after we met. Soon after, my lips started tingling and a blood test showed I got herpes. I'm so pissed about it. I don't want to give it to anyone else so in my mid-30's I don't plan on kissing or sucking anyone ever again. Thanks for not telling me, asshole. I'm praying that stem cell research somehow cures all STD's.

by Anonymousreply 1902/22/2011

No, just you Opie.

by Anonymousreply 2002/22/2011

R6, It was sheer luck I didn't get it 41 years ago when I was 16, by the way. He had it, it turned out. But he did give me crabs.

(Doing my penance since you were such a good sport)

by Anonymousreply 2102/22/2011

I know a female who had intense pain from it... had to sit in a hot bath tub to pee. Is it painful for males too?

by Anonymousreply 2202/22/2011

I've got it, but the only time it flares is under times of extreme stress and little sleep.

Abreva helps a lot but you've got to recognize the symptoms within a couple of hours (a subcutaneous tingling of the lip) and get some cream on it right away. It does nothing if the sore is on its way to developing.

One of the assistants at work has it - she's about 23, sweet but a little prim and shy - and when it flares up on her lip it's MONSTROUS. She actually talks with her hand over her mouth when the herp is active.

by Anonymousreply 2302/22/2011

I got my first fever blister, cold sore, when I was about 14 or 15, before I'd ever kissed anyone and way way before I had had sex, so that kind of herpes is very easily transmitted. I either had to get it from drinking from a cup or something. No idea really.

by Anonymousreply 2402/22/2011

Seems OP has come to terms with getting herpes. Congrats.

by Anonymousreply 2502/22/2011

I do get these REALLY HUGE PAINFUL blemishes all around my mouth sometimes-but they are definately zits...not cold sores or anything. I mean, I can gently squeeze them and the 'whitehead' pops can't 'pop' a herp sore can you?!?

by Anonymousreply 2602/22/2011

You're all diseased whores, darlin'

by Anonymousreply 2702/22/2011

oral herpes can be spread by means other than sexual contact. like kissing a relative on the lips. thats how i imagine i contracted it around the age of 9. and no i was not and am not a whore.

by Anonymousreply 2802/22/2011

Why is there no cure for herpes?

by Anonymousreply 2902/22/2011

even with a condom, you can still catch herpes or HPV/warts. be careful not to spread any, er, juices, and suit up!

by Anonymousreply 3002/22/2011

[quote]Does everybody just have it, or what?%0D %0D No darling. No.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3102/23/2011

I made the mistake of looking at those tree-people yesterday. First thing I thought was that it must be some sorta herpes wart thing. Arrgghh.

by Anonymousreply 3202/23/2011

I overheard a woman on a bus say her son has "herps."

by Anonymousreply 3302/23/2011

Herpes is a whole bunch of viruses from chicken pox to shingles to herpes croch-rot and beyond. Everyone has at least one type of herpes.

by Anonymousreply 3402/23/2011

"What evolutionary function do STDs play?"%0D %0D Population control.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3502/23/2011

"I got my first fever blister, cold sore, when I was about 14 or 15, before I'd ever kissed anyone and way way before I had had sex, so that kind of herpes is very easily transmitted. I either had to get it from drinking from a cup or something. No idea really."%0D %0D Yeah, I got my first when I was about 6. The doc told my mom I probably got it from drinking from someone else's glass or soda can. The breakouts used to be horrible when I was little (I even had to stay home from school sometimes), but now I only get a cold sore once in awhile, always during a change of seasons. %0D %0D Never got the "other kind," thank God.

by Anonymousreply 3602/23/2011

generally people use that reasoning, that everyone has herpes, to justify or excuse getting it.

not everyone has them,for those who take precautions, the rest are irresponsible... there, I said it.

now start your tirades.

by Anonymousreply 3702/23/2011

Do you think you live in some kind of sterile bubble? Or "clean" people don't whore around? Then you're a fool. %0D %0D Like I always say, "If you've slept with at least three people- you have everything". I think if you have a healthy immune system most of these bugaboos will never appear. Visibly.%0D %0D You'll die of heart disease before you die of cervical cancer.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3802/23/2011

I guess the advantage of not getting laid is that you don't get these diseases.

by Anonymousreply 3902/23/2011

r39, keep telling yourself that. I think that there are at least three people here claiming they got herpes before they ever had sex, so your argument is invalid.

by Anonymousreply 4002/23/2011

[quote]Why is there no cure for herpes?

Because science has never cured a single virus. We have found vaccines for some but never a way to eliminate them from the body. If one breakthrough happens , many will follow. If we find a way to cure the flu we will probably find cures for herpes, hiv and a host of other virus as a result.

by Anonymousreply 4102/23/2011

"Like I always say, 'If you've slept with at least three people - you have everything'."%0D %0D Your know-it-all flippancy is my ultimate goal, R38!

by Anonymousreply 4202/23/2011

R23, tell that prim young woman to ask her doc for a prescription for Valtrex, or just plain acylovir. It works beautifully (I know first-hand) if you take it at the first sign of the breakout. She doesn't have to go through life covering her mouth when she talks. As already mentioned, Abreva helps, too, so you might tell her about that as well.

by Anonymousreply 4302/23/2011

A tip I received on none other than DL many years ago that has made all the difference to me is GET L-LYSINE! I only take it occasionally and have never had another break-out.

by Anonymousreply 4402/23/2011

Is this herpes on James Gandolfini's lip?

by Anonymousreply 4504/19/2011

I would include Herpes Zoster (shingles) r34, almost everyone has had some form of herpes infection; sorry to bust your bubble, r31.

by Anonymousreply 4604/19/2011

You can also get herpes by sitting on a toilet seat

by Anonymousreply 4704/19/2011

only fish. all fish have some form of it. it ecretes to the labyia minora.

by Anonymousreply 4804/19/2011

I smell Smelt.

by Anonymousreply 4904/19/2011

"People who have genital herpes can transmit the disease even when they don%E2%80%99t show any visible signs of infection, suggesting that routine tests are needed to help curb the infection. Genital herpes is generally not included in standard screenings for sexually transmitted disease."

by Anonymousreply 5004/19/2011

My partner got Bell's Palsy in late 2009, which is thought to be caused by the herpes virus. He's never been symptomatic in any other way.

BP is complete and utter hell. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

by Anonymousreply 5104/19/2011

Serious post here. I have started getting cold sores on my lips several times a year, mostly when I am in the sun a lot or stressed. I don't talk about these things with my doctor and haven't been for a checkup in a while to even discuss. What precautions should I take when giving oral? It would feel kind of weird announcing I get cold sores on my lips, but I guess you can transmit it down there from my lips. Can it be transmitted even when I don't have sores?

by Anonymousreply 5204/19/2011

If you've had chickenpox you have the herpes virus. There are several types, semplex, zoster, vericella etc.

by Anonymousreply 5304/19/2011

Wrong, R53. You are confusing chicken pox, herpes and shingles. There is no connection between herpes and the other two.%0D %0D If you've had chicken pox you can develop shingles later in life. It is the same virus and you didn't acquire it again. Viruses lay dormant in one's nervous systems. Sometimes it manifests again, sometimes it doesn't. If the chicken pox virus manifests again, you'll get shingles. You can be infected with herpes and not chicken pox...two different animals.%0D %0D R52, I've had HSV1 since I was 5 or 6. Most people are infected as children via drinking glasses, utensils, towels, or kisses from an adult. I seldom get it now, haven't had an an outbreak in years because I've learned the triggers. Sun, stress, and exhaustion were the biggest. When I was younger acidic foods would cause them also, I think.%0D %0D I use sunscreen on my lips if I will be out all day, I try to eat right, stay unstressed and get enough sleep. Also, when I can't do these things, I put alvorex on my lips. Your dentist can prescribe it for you.%0D %0D My doctor has never asked me or tested me about herpes. Both 1 and 2, on the scale of things, is not very serious. They seldom lead to real disease. If they do, the person's immune system is and has been seriously compromised for a long time. It is the same with CMV, 50 to 80% of which the adult population is infected by.

by Anonymousreply 5404/19/2011

You're all whores, darlin'

by Anonymousreply 5504/20/2011

is that herpes at r45?

by Anonymousreply 5606/02/2011

Having cold sores isn't the same as genital herpes right? or am I thinking of something else?%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 5706/02/2011

I have no idea where I got my genital herpes. I went to the doctor when had my first and only outbreak. As soon as she looked at my swollen penis she knew and the tests bore out the unfortunate news. It's been 2 1/2 years. I'm on Valtrex. It's easy to forget that I even have it, but I have to tell my partners - which can be a deal breaker.

by Anonymousreply 5806/02/2011

When you are on Valtrex do you have to take it every day?

by Anonymousreply 5906/02/2011

r57 you are correct: Oral herpes (herpes 1) and genital herpes (herpes 2) are two different viruses. Estimate are about 80% of us have been exposed to herpes 1; for herpes 2 it's about 25%.

by Anonymousreply 6006/02/2011

The overwhelming majority of people have HSV-1, which is the cause of things like cold sores, fever blisters. HSV-1 is not usually transmitted genitally usually causes few to no symptoms. HSV-2 is much more common in women. It's the cause of genital herpes. It's most often transmitted when sores are apparent, even though most people never actually know they have it. Genital herpes has a higher chance of outbreaks, which are generally more severe in nature.

Overall, a person can avoid genital herpes if you take the right precautions. If a guy has genital HSV-2, it's less likely if you suck him off lets say, you will get HSV-2 also, if you have HSV-1. Same with HSV-1, it's a virus that affects the upper body generally (face, lips, mouth). HSV-2 generally affects the genitals. The viruses don't usually stray from their target areas.

A lot of people live in fear of STD's but if you play your cards right, you'll be fine. Most STD's are self-curing anyway, your immune system kills the virus off before it gets serious. The most serious of STD's, like genital herpes and HIV, are harder to catch, so if you don't act irresponsibly (save unfortunate circumstances/mistakes), you won't catch them.

by Anonymousreply 6106/02/2011

I get shingles, which is a herpes virus. I used to get something similar to Valtrex when I first got it, but now I just tough it out. The first time was murder. I felt like I was being kicked over and over for a week.%0D %0D The doctor said it was because I was only mildly exposed to chicken pox as a kid. I never had a chicken pox outbreak, but my titers show I have been exposed.%0D %0D You can get herpes in your eyes pretty easily, so be careful if you have any version of it - oral, genital (which are unrelated) shingles. chicken pox or whatever, and you can go blind.

by Anonymousreply 6206/02/2011

Ugh. This thread makes me never want to have sex again.

And no one has really explained how you can avoid it since it can be transmitted when there's no outbreak and condoms don't work. So basically if I have sex with more than 3 people I'll get it. Wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 6306/02/2011

r44, L-lysine does work great.. but does increase blood pressure. So watchout if you have issues, but if you only have to take it occasionally.. then ok?.%0D %0D Ok, I think that is what I remember from that thread.

by Anonymousreply 6406/02/2011

I have Herpes I - sometimes break out on the lips but mostly on the back of my neck. How do you explain that? It's recurring (I have a stressful job) so I'm on Valtrex all the time.%0D %0D With my first outbreak I was deathly sick, high fever and the worst sore throat I've ever had. Lost 12lbs in 5 days.%0D %0D Never had anything below the waist... Thank God.

by Anonymousreply 6506/02/2011

I'm celibate by every other guy's choice, so no worries.

by Anonymousreply 6606/02/2011

R59, I take 500mgs of Valtrex a day. My doctor has suggested that I stop because I don't have outbreaks, but Valtrex reduces the chance of transmitting the virus, so I'll continue to take it to protect my partner of two years. I think there is only a 2% chance of spreading it when on Valtrex - with no outbreak. That's what the website claims. This year, they started selling generic valocyclovir (Valtrex) and it is cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 6706/02/2011

No, only whores have this.

by Anonymousreply 6806/02/2011

I contracted genital herpes when I was 20 in 1980. OK, it was a abad thing at the time but I actually credit it with possibly saving my life since it forced me to curb my sexual activity. I do think I could have been dead by now at the rate I was going in terms of sexual behavior. I had bad outbreaks for the first couple of years but they subsided over time.

by Anonymousreply 6906/02/2011

If you have a "cold sore" and blow someone, and infect them, you have herpes.

by Anonymousreply 7006/02/2011

Cold sores is to head lice as herpes is to crabs.

Same creature, different habitat.

I honestly do not think herpes is prevalent in the gay community. I know people with HIV. People who are open about it, people who are not. I only know one gay guy who has told me he has genital herpes (and he also has HIV). As contagious as herpes is, I think it is spread more in the straight community because women get internal vaginal outbreaks that aren't readily visible, and condomless sex is more common among straights. A guy is most likely to get an outbreak on his penis; if he has one, he will probably stay home until it goes away. And of course, we all know herpes can be spread invisibly on the wind, but still, when it's visible, it's most contagious.

I also don't believe this 1 in 4 number. I have never seen anyone in my family have a cold sore. I have never had a cold sore. I have been tested for HSV1 and 2 antibodies and have come up negative. I am in my early 30s and am no saint; if HSV1 or 2 were so easy to catch, I'd have em. Genetic immunity? What?

by Anonymousreply 7106/02/2011

I got herpes from kissing a guy within the past year. I have only kissed about 4 other guys and I'm usually not into it, but I'm always afraid of HIV and semen and when he pulled his pants down and I saw a pre-cum stain and his uncut dick (not my thing) I decided to kiss instead of sucking him a lot. Wish I'd never met the asshole. He knew he had it and didn't tell me. Now, I feel like I'll never be able to kiss or suck anyone for the rest of my life because I would never want to give it to anyone. I've never had a huge cold sore on my lip, but I have little fever blister on the inside of my bottom lip.

by Anonymousreply 7206/02/2011

R72, you can go on daily Valtrex and basically be non-contagious. Don't kill yourself over it. Talk to your doctor and discuss your options.

by Anonymousreply 7306/02/2011

Do men have pain from it like women?

by Anonymousreply 7406/02/2011

R65, I wish I could explain it. I had a boyfriend who got strange rashes on his knuckles and chin. When those rashes showed up as a cold sore on my nethers, we realized what it was. No doctor has ever explained what strain does that.

by Anonymousreply 7506/02/2011

Is't there a hpv vacine? I thought I had heard that there was one in a television news program. It was recommended for children. They said it was not as important to give it to adults. I don't know why adults would not need it since they are more likely to pass the virus around by intimate relations.

by Anonymousreply 7606/04/2011

Yes there is an HPV vaccine, it's recommended for teenagers I believe, not sure why it isn't recommended for adults.

by Anonymousreply 7706/04/2011

The vaccine isn't recommended for adults because it's a preventative vaccine, not a curative vaccine, and most sexually active adults have already been infected by HPV, which is the most common STD of them all. Once you're infected, the vaccine does nothing. That's why it's recommended for only those who aren't yet sexually active--i.e., prepubescents.

by Anonymousreply 7806/04/2011

What are the various manifestations of herpes? I'm only familiar with the stereotypical blistering on the genitals but on this thread I'm hearing about knuckles, back of neck, etc.

About 18 months ago I kept getting these blister type things in my hair just above the hairline on the back of my head. I never went to the doctor (but tried various types of other over the counter treatments for different things). And now, just about 8 days ago, I noticed this red mark on my dick. The red mark doesn't hurt, it's not sensitive and the skin isn't raised; it's just a red mark. Do I have herpes??!!

by Anonymousreply 7906/04/2011

My sociopathic ex gave me herpes. He was a raging cokehead and alcoholic who went down on me. It was awesome when he denied responsibility. He's been dead to me ever since. As far as the virus? It's really not a big deal and hardly a bother. It lessens each year you have it.

by Anonymousreply 8006/04/2011

Has anyone who shaves his shaft mistaken a bad ingrown hair for herpes?

by Anonymousreply 8106/18/2011

This, my children, is why GOD created a monogamous marriage. You will be safe if you heed his words and commandments.

by Anonymousreply 8206/18/2011

The gift that keeps on giving...

by Anonymousreply 8306/18/2011

Is r56's link what mouth herpes looks like?

by Anonymousreply 8406/18/2011

take l-lysine. it works wonders for a lot of people.

by Anonymousreply 8506/18/2011

A related topic: I seem to have balanitis, NOT herpes, after taking some antibiotic for a flu I had. After a while it went away, but now it's back and I used Monistat cream to treat it (I'm a guy) yet it doesn't seem to work. I'm gonna go see the doctor but do any of your have any insight or advice about this and how I may treat this?

by Anonymousreply 8606/18/2011

Can you catch genital herpes if a guy gives you head? How common is that?

by Anonymousreply 8706/24/2011

I have never gotten herpes, syphilis or scabies.

Everything else though, including hiv.

by Anonymousreply 8806/24/2011

I would imagine it's pretty easy for straight guys to get it if a chick is infected, but is it as common for gay men?

by Anonymousreply 8906/24/2011

MedHelp says that studies of herpes infection in men who have sex with men (MSM) are few, but "there is no doubt that, on average, the proportion of MSM infected with HSV-2 (herpes) is much higher than in the general population. Since the HSV-2 population prevalence in the US is around 25%, it is a pretty solid bet that it exceeds 50% in MSM as a whole."

by Anonymousreply 9006/24/2011

My sister got genital Herpes from her ex husband, and has not dated in 10 years because she is afraid of telling men. I told her that it isn't that big of a deal, but she thinks that it is. At what point do you tell people that you go out with? My advice to her was that it wasn't anyones business until you have been out a few times and you know that you may be interested in sleeping with him. I also have a lesbian friend who got sores on her mouth from going down on a stripper, so lesbians need to practice safe sex too (at least with strippers).

by Anonymousreply 9106/24/2011

r81, I get bad ingrown hairs from shaving that look bumpy. They hurt. Herpes warts don't hurt.

by Anonymousreply 9206/24/2011

I got HSV-1 on my dick one time through "safe" sex. I assume it was from the guy blowing me. I became incredibly depressed once it was confirmed...I felt like damaged goods that would never in good conscience be able to have sex again. Well that was in 2006 and I've never had another outbreak! Honestly, I've all but forgotten about it. I've read that HSV-1, when contracted genitally as opposed to orally, often doesn't recur or recurs less often than HSV-2. It sure sucked at the time though, it was like pissing razor blades (I'd almost cry) and I had a really bad flu-like sickness for a couple days. It hit very suddenly, too...I had to leave work because of it.

by Anonymousreply 9306/24/2011

r92, huh? All the websites say herpes sores hurt like hell and itch.

by Anonymousreply 9406/24/2011

The wart kind are not painful, r92. I am assuming that is what the person is talking about when they mistook an ingrown hair for it.

by Anonymousreply 9506/24/2011

Herpes and warts are two entirely different STDs, you nitwits.

by Anonymousreply 9606/24/2011

I don't understand. What can you do to avoid it? Is it only contagious if there is a visible outbreak?

by Anonymousreply 9706/24/2011

r97, supposedly there is something called "viral shedding" which means people could have it even without visible outbreak and thus pass it on to others through shedding of the skin. %0D %0D I'm just curious if one can get genital herpes from oral sex or is it strictly genital to genital contact.

by Anonymousreply 9806/24/2011

r98, my friend gave a guy with herpes a BJ in college. She had sores all over her mouth afterwards. She tried to tell everyone that the sores were 'pizza burn' but everyone knew they were herpes sores because the guy gave it to a couple of other people (one girl got it via genital to genital sex).

by Anonymousreply 9906/24/2011

[quote]oral herpes can be spread by means other than sexual contact. like kissing a relative on the lips. thats how i imagine i contracted it around the age of 9. and no i was not and am not a whore.

My brother has had herpes since he was about 6 years old.

We're pretty sure it came from our grandmother, who sometimes had "cold sores" and who always insisted on mouth-to-mouth kisses. (Not sexual kisses with tongue or anything sick like that, but just a peck on the lips instead of on the cheek.)

Adults with herpes should not kiss little kids on the mouth!!!!

by Anonymousreply 10006/24/2011

[quote]I'm just curious if one can get genital herpes from oral sex or is it strictly genital to genital contact.

Unlike what R61 & R71 say, my understanding has always been that the two types of herpes virus CAN be transmitted to the "other" region, meaning you can have mainly-genital herpes in your mouth and/or mainly-oral herpes in your crotch.

I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty educated about STI's.

by Anonymousreply 10106/24/2011

[quote]You'll die of heart disease before you die of cervical cancer.

That's very true, for many of us!

by Anonymousreply 10206/24/2011

Btw, R12, warts are NOT herpes, wtf!!!

HPV stands for Human PapillomaVirus, not HerPes Virus.

You need to edumacate urself, grrl!

by Anonymousreply 10306/24/2011

[quote]I made the mistake of looking at those tree-people yesterday. First thing I thought was that it must be some sorta herpes wart thing. Arrgghh.

Actually, yes, it's been confirmed that Dede and the other "tree-people" DO indeed have a form of HPV (warts not herpes), which combines with their unusual genetic makeup to create abnormal fibrous warts.

by Anonymousreply 10406/24/2011

R52, if you aren't comfortable discussing things with your doctor, you need to either find another doctor or get over yourself, if it's you preventing yourself from speaking up.

You need to find a doctor you can discuss these things with. Try finding a gay-friendly doctor at the link below, unless, of course, you're not gay.

Who knows R71, maybe you're asymptomatic. It's not exactly something that people talk about, so I can't speak to your numbers. I know of four people who have herpes - 2 straight and 2 gay.

by Anonymousreply 10506/24/2011

If this scares you, it's because that's what I intended.

I do not have Herpes but I'm extremely paranoid about contracting it because of the fact that it can be transmitted by a person who's asymptomatic but the worst part is that although it's an STD, you can acquire it so easily. It's a treacherous infection.

Facts as in these are indisputable:

1. Herpes is spread by skin to skin contact and the most common types, oral and genital are caused by the same virus.

2. You can transmit Herpes I (herpes simplex I/oral herpes) without having symptoms.

3. You can transmit Herpes II (herpes simplex type II 1/genital herpes) without having symptoms.

4. You can have herpes, both oral and/or genital, for years and years and not know it.

5. A majority of americans have Herpes I and most acquired it as children or teens.

6. Genital Herpes is not limited to the genitals, it can be on the buttocks, back or elsewhere like the thigh area.

7. A person, asymptomatic or not, with oral herpes, Herpes type I can give their sexual partner genital herpes.

8. The herpes virus, even type I aka cold sores don't look the same or necessarily like what you would imagine. They can resemble pimples or minor abrasions.

9. Oral herpes aka type I can sometimes be present elsewhere on the face, cheeks for example.

10. Herpes is typically found on certain parts of the body but an infection can develop anywhere including the chest.

11. There is such a thing as Herpetic Whitlow aka hand herpes, digital herpes, finger herpes.

12. If, for example, you have genital herpes, it is possible to give yourself hand herpes if you have a minor cut on your cuticle etc. Additionally, it possible to get hand herpes from touching a cold sore/herpes I.

13. Herpes can be transmitted to the eyes and cause blindness. This herpes is called herpes keratitis.

I remember being at mass once during the SARS crisis in Toronto and the priest stopped asking people to shake hands. This should be the norm. It's too easy to contract and transmit herpes. Too many people have it and don't know it and unwittingly transmit it to others including their kids. I was so pleased when a pregnant relative was told by her ob-gyn that her relatives and friends should not be permitted to kiss the baby.

We shouldn't be shaking hands, kissing cheeks, it's not paranoia though I am paranoid. What's wrong with hello?

by Anonymousreply 10606/24/2011

Isn't it also true that herpes blood tests are not given in a regular STD panel of tests, that it has to be asked for specifically?

by Anonymousreply 10706/25/2011

My daughter has had fever and cold sores since she was very young. So did my sister. It is a strain of herpes but not an STD. There are other viruses that cause outbreaks as well.

by Anonymousreply 10806/25/2011

This thread is SO 1977. Read a book people, herpes is not hard to control.

by Anonymousreply 10906/25/2011

1 in 4 people has herpes.

by Anonymousreply 11006/25/2011

"Control" or not, you can still spread it to your sex partners. And that's confirmed by 2011 research.

by Anonymousreply 11106/25/2011

[quote]1 in 4 people has herpes.

1 in 2 gay men.

by Anonymousreply 11206/25/2011

Ask your Doc for acyclovir.

by Anonymousreply 11306/25/2011

I just found out I have it. FUCK! I had NO symptoms that I could remember, by the way.

by Anonymousreply 11406/27/2011

r114, did you ask specifically for the blood test?

by Anonymousreply 11506/27/2011

I read the thread as "her Pies"

by Anonymousreply 11606/27/2011

Yes, R115, I asked for the blood screening at a recent physical. I'm not looking for sympathy because It's my own fault for not being careful. But this sucks.

by Anonymousreply 11706/27/2011

My sister in law gets nasty cold sores on her mouth on occasion. The medication that she has for it is several hundred dollars, and is not covered by her insurance. She has not given her husband (my brother) a blow job in twenty years (since they got married). She says that she hates it, and refuses to do it. Now I am wondering if she if afraid of transmitting her sores to his penis.

by Anonymousreply 11806/27/2011

I thought they can only confirm by testing a sore when it first appears.

by Anonymousreply 11906/27/2011

You know way too much about your brother and sister-in-law's sex life, r118.

by Anonymousreply 12006/27/2011

I don't know what to tell you, R119--my GP told me today that I have genital herpes and he didn't test any sore--namely because I've never had any to my knowledge.

by Anonymousreply 12106/27/2011

Sorry, 119. I remember how sad I was the day I found out I have it. Two years later, and I rarely think about it. I have a partner - who knows I have it but am on Valtrex and never have any outbreaks. There is a support site: if you want to learn more and see how others cope.

by Anonymousreply 12206/27/2011

Most people who have genital herpes are asymtomatic, so they have no valid reason to think anything is wrong. That's how it's spread - these people don't know and they spread it through viral shedding during sex.

by Anonymousreply 12306/27/2011

Thank you, R122--I appreciate it. I've only had sex with two guys since I broke up with my ex 2 years ago--and now I have to let both of these guys know I have it.

I'll say it again: FUCK.

by Anonymousreply 12406/27/2011

r124, it's possible one of them won't be surprised considering he probably gave it to you.

by Anonymousreply 12506/28/2011

My cat is named Herpes. Herpes Syndrome actually, but he goes by Herp.

by Anonymousreply 12606/28/2011

Hell, who knows? It could be my ex, but we're still in weekly contact--he may have it and not know it, since I didn't show symptoms.

by Anonymousreply 12706/28/2011

r120, my brother complains constantly about their sex life. If you didn't get oral for twenty years, you would complain too.

by Anonymousreply 12806/29/2011

CRISTAL CONNORS I AM discusted by your ignorance my son has had herpes keratitis of the eye since the age of one it is not a dirty desease but a unfortunate one do your home work u piece of shit and grow up remember what gose around comes around its people like u that make this world a evil place u make my skin crawl

by Anonymousreply 12907/11/2011

I'm straight and have had lots of unprotected sex, usually with serious girlfriends who were on the pill, but sometimes just hookups (btw, I don't cheat). I've never had any symptoms, and never had a girl tell me they now have it or that I gave it to them. I'm super-lucky an so are they, I know. My experience is that doctors don't test for it unless you show symptoms or pay for it out of pocket (insurance won't cover w/o symptoms). I know, b/c I've asked for herpes tests when I get my other tests (also clean). I may have asymptomatic HPV, though, since a long-term GF got the cervical cancerous growths once (have not returned), but again, doctor's won't test. No other GF has ever had the issue there either, btw.

by Anonymousreply 13007/31/2011

...I should say "that I know of" for the last comment. And I should prob push harder on the HPV test, and be open with and use a condom with everyone until then.

by Anonymousreply 13107/31/2011

R26, if you're still around, I get zits on my mouth sometimes too. Right on my lipline. It's embarrassing because I know some people have to think it's herpes.

by Anonymousreply 13207/31/2011

Jesus Christ you hand wringers are hilarious.%0D %0D Cold sores. We are talking about cold sores. %0D %0D Annoying? Yes.%0D %0D Unnattractive? Yes.%0D %0D Rarely are they any worse than that.%0D %0D Do you seriously judge people who have them? Y'all have some serious issues. Do you really ask everyone you kiss to go get tested to see if they carry the virus that causes them? Because that's the only way you'll every stear clear of them.

by Anonymousreply 13308/03/2011

I just got diagnosed, though I'm still waiting for final confirmation. A cluster halfway across my pelvis, several inches from my cock. I think I got it from a guy who was rubbing against me pretty aggressively. If that's not safe sex, I'm not sure what is.

The doctor said it will only recur in that area, and to keep a barrier when asymptomatic and don't have sex when there are blisters.

I think I'll just stop having sex forever.

by Anonymousreply 13409/19/2011

Why aren't there more pictures of celebrities with cold sores. The only ones I can recall are Vin Diesel and Katie Holmes.

by Anonymousreply 13509/19/2011

very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 13609/19/2011

r133 the cold sores variety (HSV1) is not the same as the genital variety (HSV2).

And HPV is another virus, the one that causes genital warts and can lead to cancer.

by Anonymousreply 13709/19/2011

by Anonymousreply 13809/20/2011

Yeah, I'm really a whore, R138. For letting a guy hump my thigh. Hope your attitude keeps you safe.

by Anonymousreply 13909/20/2011

r134, at least tell the guy you got it from him. Many carriers don't know they have it and can spread it.

by Anonymousreply 14009/20/2011

I used to know a guy who makes a big deal about telling his tricks that he's HIV negative (which he actually is) but conveniently skips telling them he has herpes and hepatitis.

by Anonymousreply 14109/20/2011

l-lysine has worked for me for over 20 years. Google and take a few times/week. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 14209/20/2011

r135, look at this link. I'm not positive it's herpes. You may have to click enter in the address bar if it doesn't load the first time.

by Anonymousreply 14309/20/2011

How much l-lysine do you take? i have a bottle of 500mg caps but don't take them regularly, although I get fever blisters on the inside of my bottom lip, and a little redness on outline of my lips.

by Anonymousreply 14409/20/2011

is this also herpes on a celeb?

by Anonymousreply 14509/22/2011

Probably r145, but seeing as the vast majority of people have HSV1, which causes cold sores, it should come as no surprise.

by Anonymousreply 14609/22/2011

Resurrecting a three-year old thread - my doctor's office just told me I have Herpes. Both kinds. I've been in a monogamous relationship for ten years. I could've sworn I was tested for it before but maybe they didn't test for Herpes specifically - like said earlier in this thread you have to specifically ask for a Herpes test? Anyway now I know I have it. What the fuck do I tell my partner? I haven't been with anyone else in a decade - I guess I could've had it all this time. I've never had any symptoms. I AM FREAKING OUT.

by Anonymousreply 14705/15/2014

St. John's Wort in tincture form is considered the go-to remedy for all forms of herpes, including shingles.

It is known to lesson the severity of the outbreaks, prevents outbreaks, and quicken the recovery time.

Take a dropperful in a small amount of water at night before bed. You may also put the tincture directly on the sores *FOR FUCK'S SAKE DON'T MAKE CONTACT WITH THE BOTTLE, PUT TINCTURE IN HANDS FIRST* for even better results.

St John's Wort causes photosensitivity for many people so always cover up for the sun while taking.

by Anonymousreply 14805/15/2014

So strange... I've never had a cold sore, nor have I ever tested positive for genital herpes (I insist on a blood test for Herpes when I get screened for STDs). I find it amazing, since I've sucked A LOT of dick in my time - A LOT.. I've never been tested for HPV - but I'm sure I MUST have that, though I've never had a wart in my life either.

by Anonymousreply 14905/15/2014

I'm the OP of this thread. I still give head. I still don't have herpes.

by Anonymousreply 15005/15/2014

It's kind of like the scarlet letter: a visual sign that you're a slut. You can hide hiv, warts, chlamydia, hepatitis, etc.

by Anonymousreply 15105/15/2014

Only nasty bitches have Herpes. I most certainly do not. Not do I have any other diseases or sexually transmitted infections.

by Anonymousreply 15205/15/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!