Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"The Secret"

I know it's a bunch of horseshit but, god help me, I want to try it. Can someone give me the basics or a free link b/c I can't give my money to someone who says "Don't visit people with cancer b/c their negative thoughts might influence your body to give you cancer too." So, whose tried it?

by Anonymousreply 25006/03/2013

OP you'd be better off reading the source material upon which The Secret is based - Abraham Hick's Law of Attraction.

by Anonymousreply 102/21/2011

It works with lottery tickets...everyone who tried it is a billionaire.

by Anonymousreply 202/21/2011

r1 is correct. It works. But you won't get that support from hardly any posters HERE on the DL. Oh, good lord. RUN from this place if you want to try anything positive for your life OR try to be happy!

by Anonymousreply 302/21/2011

I agree that Law of Attratction (and other releases like "Ask and it is given") is a great tool to notice, sort and change your way of thinking. I have it as an audiobook and listen to certain chapters over and over again.

I know it sounds very cultish or crazy, but some of the works of Jerry and Esther Hicks / Abraham and Louise Hay give me great comfort in times I need it.

And I have seen changes in my own life since I changed my own thought process (started to read and listen to their releases around May last year).

by Anonymousreply 402/21/2011

then by no means r4 should you be spending time in this shit hole den of vipers. Did you learn anything? REALLY? Really.

by Anonymousreply 502/21/2011

r5, Datalounge helped me a lot on my way to take control over my thoughts. Pointless bitchery can be very entertaining when it's just a bit of teasing instead of masking feelings of insecurity, jealousy, hatred or self loathing.

You notice very quick on Datalounge which pointless bitchery is which (harmless teasing vs. thinly veiled vicious attack where you project your own issues onto others).

[italic]When people are comfortable with their own morals and scruples, they don%E2%80%99t feel the need to constantly condemn and criticize the imperfections of others. Likewise, when people feel they are innately flawed, they must continuously project that feeling onto others in order to feel faultless.[/italic]

- Tami Barrett

by Anonymousreply 602/21/2011

I'm with r4 / r6, but admittedly I have to be careful on DL. I've learned a lot here & appreciate some of the spirited discussions. But I'm picky about what threads I enter. Otherwise, I suffer.

Great quote by Tami Barrett; thanks r6.

Anyway. OP. To answer your questions, no I do not have any links handy. I also suggest you read up on the Law of Attraction & Abraham.

[quote]"Don't visit people with cancer b/c their negative thoughts might influence your body to give you cancer too."

Are you a troll? Because that quote is complete bullshit.

Thinking positive is good for you. Don't do it just to get things. That's greedy. Do it to be happy & healthy. Your life will run much more smoothly.

"The Secret" is not about douchebags getting porsches. It's about changing core beliefs that are sabotaging you.

by Anonymousreply 702/21/2011

Yes, OP. It works. All those starving kids in Africa that think of nothing except food have found that it just falls from the sky when they just ask the universe for it.

by Anonymousreply 802/21/2011

It is the power of positive thinking repacked.

A positive out look, does lead to more positive results, also called hope and hanging in there.

There is some truth to the Quantum theory, which was just touched on. The cheezy "The Secret" marketing is what lowers the cred of this re-packing of valid information.

by Anonymousreply 902/21/2011

It is not the "power of positive thinking" repacked. It is the power of only associating with happy upbeat successful people, ie. gold-digging, repacked.

by Anonymousreply 1002/21/2011

nowhere in the secret does it say you should only associate with only happy, upbeat, & successful people, r10. it's been a while since I've seen it but do remember a scene where a guy was able to stop people from bullying him by having a more confident attitude. that works. I've noticed it in my own life...that people sub-consciously respond to the vibe we send out. small anecdote: my dog ignores cats who aren't afraid of him. he barks & chases the cats that are scared. same with bullies. one cannot only associate with happy, upbeat, & successful people -- well, unless maybe they're in some kind of cult. but even that happiness isn't sincere. and most cult followers aren't very successful...

by Anonymousreply 1102/21/2011

Say you have a job interview. You're nervous, so you keep telling yourself "I'll never get this job, I'm too stupid, I don't have the qualifications" etc.

You'll reflect that feeling in the way you look and act.

If you visualize yourself going to the interview, feeling confident, seeing the interviewer being impressed by your intelligence and composure, you'll come across a lot better.

It's being willing to say what you really want to have happen, and visualize each step of it happening in a positive way.

by Anonymousreply 1402/21/2011

I believe in the power of attraction completely. I have received many blessings in my life.

That said, I've received when I have not been ready; the most difficult lessons of my life.

Careful what you wish for...

by Anonymousreply 1502/21/2011

Okay, so what are the steps or where can I find them? I remember something about a bulletin board listing your intentions and goals or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 1602/21/2011

If you are serious do not go for the condensed version, R4 has good suggestions.

[quote] I know it sounds very cultish or crazy, but some of the works of Jerry and Esther Hicks / Abraham and Louise Hay give me great comfort in times I need it.

by Anonymousreply 1702/21/2011

[quote]It is the power of only associating with happy upbeat successful people, ie. gold-digging, repacked.

I disagree.

The teachings focus on your own thoughts and the energy / signals you are sending.

The teachings point out that we mistakingly absorb the energy and believes of others (parents, lovers, spouses, neighbors, colleagues, friends, etc.) and claim them to be our own (when they are not really what we believe) and that's how we lose our own power and identity which burden and cloud our minds and in the end prevents us from receiving the good things we deserve in life.

In a silly way it's like the cosmic energy sends you a package full of prosperity, health and happyness, but the letter cannot reach you, because when it arrives at your (mental) doorstep it doesn't find your true you (for who the package is for), but instead the imprint of someone else (your parents, your lover, spouse, etc.) and so it cannot be handed over (lack of recognizing) and gets returned to the sender with the note "receipient has moved to an unknown location and cannot be found".

by Anonymousreply 1802/21/2011

What a bunch of horse shit.

by Anonymousreply 1902/21/2011

The Secret sold like crazy because everyone saw it on Oprah and thought they could use it to become rich like her. You can claim there are spiritual principles behind the book, but that's irrelevant, because the people who bought that books/CD/video were not looking for spirituality. They were looking for "how to get stuff."

by Anonymousreply 2002/21/2011

Exactly, R20, like the Universe is a giant vending machine and if you don't get what you want, then you're doing it wrong.

I consider myself spiritual, but I don't buy The Secret.

by Anonymousreply 2102/21/2011

R13, any advice or methods for clearing? I find it very hard to stay free of negative energies during such troubled times.

by Anonymousreply 2202/21/2011

Anything promoted on Oprah is going to lose credibility.

by Anonymousreply 2302/21/2011

I can guarantee you that r19 is not in control of his life. And he is not happy.

by Anonymousreply 2402/21/2011

OP, I too recommend Abraham.

Rhonda Byrne and her Aussie crew filmed some of Abraham's sessions for a TV show in Oz, but that show fell through. Instead she decided to repackage it, and tried to get Esther and Jerry Hicks to sign over their intellectual property rights to her. They decided against it, and when "The Secret" was re-released, most of Abraham had been edited out by Byrne, and they didn't receive any of the financial remuneration that the original contract had provided them.

The trouble was she also edited out important parts about how to use the Law of Attraction process ... perhaps with an eye to selling "sequels"?

Forget Byrne's abridged rehash and go right to Hicks/Abraham.

by Anonymousreply 2602/21/2011

I know plenty of people trying to live "the secret" and the real secret is that they are unhappy. Only unhappy people are interested in trying something so silly. And whoever said that people think it's going to make them rich is right. That's what "The Secret" tries to sell and why the author of that book is laughing her ass off. The danger of thinking in these terms is that people will ignore the real root of problems and believe they can simply "think" them away. I know many people who attempt to put on a happy face and act like they are living "the secret" when inside they are still just as unhappy as the rest of us, if not moreso because they are in denial.

by Anonymousreply 2702/21/2011

Sure, r22. Here yo go:

- love everyone (including yourself)

- forgive everyone (including yourself). do this as many times as you need to. a thousand times if necessary.

- focus on positive things

- see the good in others

- some forgiveness can be done by simply "overlooking" what someone else has done. detach.

- don't take anything personally

- be grateful for everything

- avoid what doesn't serve you

- take care of yourself; love yourself.

- forgive a resentment immediately. the longer you hold it, the more it's able to take root inside you & pollute you.

- when you resent or hold a grudge, you are eternally connected to that very thing

- come clean with any guilt you may be carrying. make amends or let it go.

- we feel pain from carrying anger, resentment, fear, etc. We're not aware that we are feeling that pain. That pain makes us negative. We have to let go of the pain in order to feel better.

That's it.

by Anonymousreply 2802/21/2011

Thank you, R28. It's at rare moments like these when I believe DL is not completely fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 2902/21/2011

sure, r29. while you're at it:

- meditate

- pray

Read some helpful books. Abraham / Esther Hicks & Louise Hay have already been mentioned. You may also like Thich Nhat Hanh, Marianne Williamson, Wayne Dyer, Debbie Ford, etc.

Also attend some kind of support group. 12-step meetings (even al-anon if you're not an alkie), a meditation group, yoga, church and / or some church group. something where everyone is trying to bring out the good in themselves & others. Where everyone's positive & friendly.

but definitely meditate & pray every day. make it as important to you as eating or sleeping. because, really, it is. :)

by Anonymousreply 3002/21/2011

Really, r28? Did you really need someone to spell this stuff out for you? Do you not watch Oprah?

by Anonymousreply 3102/21/2011

oh, and be sure to THANK r31 for the opportunity to practice instant forgiveness. you have to learn to overlook assholes. and r31 is helping you practice exactly that. practice makes perfect, so the more practice the better.

thanks r31 :)

by Anonymousreply 3202/21/2011

It really works!! I asked the universe for a bigger rack, and *boom* *boom* one surgery later and I'm toppling over!

by Anonymousreply 3302/21/2011

Someone told me, "I've found something better than The Bible -- I've found "The Secret'."

I'm not a fundie, but 'The Secret' is straight from the Bible -- it's all in The New Testament.

by Anonymousreply 3402/21/2011

wrong on two counts, r34: it's not from the Bible, and it's not better than the Bible.

why the misinformation?

by Anonymousreply 3502/21/2011

You misread R35 -- I said the gal told me she found something better than the Bible -- I said the Secret has advice straight from the Bible -- plagiarism, so to speak.

by Anonymousreply 3602/21/2011

R35, do try and keep up.

by Anonymousreply 3702/21/2011

Thank you for the list R28.

It's very difficult to get unstuck from the anger generated from seeing what the bad guys get away with these days...but I will meditate on that :).

by Anonymousreply 3802/21/2011

But how does it make you achieve goals when it seems like the universe rewards sociopaths?

by Anonymousreply 3902/21/2011

You mean like HRC, r39?

It is frustrating...

by Anonymousreply 4002/21/2011

r36, are you saying there are things in The Secret that are also in The Bible? Well, in that case, there are things in the New Testament that is also in Buddhism.

[quote]Someone told me, "I've found something better than The Bible -- I've found "The Secret'."

To which I asserted that The Secret is not better than The Bible. ???

by Anonymousreply 4102/21/2011

I know, r38. I get overwhelmed, too.

Here's what I do:

- I step away from the news

- I try to become willing to forgive the perpetrators. It's very hard to do. My anger toward the Koch Brothers, Glenn Beck, etc., is righteous & justified. But that anger serves no purpose. It just contributes more negativity in the world. If I can pray for those people, then perhaps they may one day find enlightenment. At the very least, I inoculate myself from their toxicity.

- I read spiritual / inspirational books that resonate with me. Dr. King, for example, was way more phenomenal than people realize.

- I remember that the world has gone through worse and survived.

- this is not all there is.

- I do what I can to contribute peace & goodwill to the world. Going to support groups help me know that there are so many people out there in the world who sincerely want peace & to help others.

by Anonymousreply 4202/21/2011

OP, skip the Secret and try out the works of Esther Hicks/ Abraham. There are a ton of videos on Youtube.

by Anonymousreply 4302/21/2011

I agree with R20. Our association now with those who are interested in "The Secret," is that they are using a psychospiritual practice to obtain material gain. Or are using it in other self-centered ways, like a want a great relationship.

by Anonymousreply 4402/21/2011

I've used it and am right now listening to it again as I navigate through life today.%0D %0D I enjoy it and see it work. No, you do not have to isolate yourself from negativity; you just learn about how you react to things that are negative and how that perception can be changed.%0D %0D I recommend The Secret as well as the Esther Hicks series on The Law of Attraction. There is alot of free audio/video on this on YouTube that you might want to check out.%0D %0D Good luck to you!

by Anonymousreply 4502/21/2011

Good lord, 28, I learned that shit from the nuns and my mother by the age of 9. Of course, now I'm an atheist but still I retain the common sense shit about how to be a decent person.%0D %0D People pay for this?

by Anonymousreply 4602/21/2011

"Mind is cause. Experience is effect." -- Emmett Fox

by Anonymousreply 4702/22/2011

You're certainly not demonstrating it, r46.

Why did you read this thread? Just so you could shit on it?

I don't go into threads about atheism & insult posters there.

Actually, the atheist threads don't last very long, do they? Not much interest there. The only atheist threads that get past a few posts are because they're essentially flame wars.

by Anonymousreply 4802/22/2011

Don't tell me, 48. You're a devoted Christian who foams at the mouth at the slightest joke about your lifestyle.%0D %0D Pull the fangs ,sister. Jesus would not be happy with you.%0D %0D PS I came in here to learn the "Secret." But turns out it's just the same old lessons every child knows. In other words, DO NOT PAY for it.

by Anonymousreply 4902/23/2011

What's funny is that there are FAR more atheists on the DL then there are Christians. Several polls have proven this. R48 doesn't know what the hell they are talking about or who they are talking to.

by Anonymousreply 5002/23/2011

However, I always wonder how many of the atheists here are the same people who believe in twaddle like The Secret and Astrology.

by Anonymousreply 5102/23/2011

Obama used The Secret to become President. He visualized himself as President everyday and WHAM, now he's President. Hillary didn't do this, obviously.

by Anonymousreply 5202/23/2011

What's this about spirituality? Is there a supernatural component to The Secret?

by Anonymousreply 5302/23/2011

I was given "The Secret" as a gift. I stopped reading it at about p32, when it suggested victims of disasters, genocides, etc. did something to bring it upon themselves.

by Anonymousreply 5402/23/2011

Try this, OP--it's a hell of a lot simpler to memorize and follow:

5 Ways to be Happy:

1. Free your heart from hatred 2. Free your mind from worries 3. Live simply 4. Give more 5. Expect less

by Anonymousreply 5502/23/2011

I've always found those sort of "positive visualization" techniques impossible though I know they work for some. I'm no good at blocking things out. All the information about any given situation tends to flood me at once and I find it necessary to pay attention to all of it.

What I have found extremely helpful is the book "Practical Intuition" by Laura Day because it helps me organize that flood of information. It helps me figure out the timing of certain goals and also helps me assess if they really are good goals. I'd recommend it.

by Anonymousreply 5602/23/2011

Abraham: THE LAW OF ATTRACTION AND GAY RIGHTS - Esther & Jerry Hicks

by Anonymousreply 5702/23/2011

I worked with a person who practised Kaballah- they were playing a tape with a person speaking about it (I forget who it was), but was shocked to hear that the person was saying something like, "You deserve to have everything you want and it's okay to want it". It was a very materialistic based speech.

by Anonymousreply 5802/23/2011

Ok, it's bullshit, but honest truth? I found a $5 bill in the gutter after watching it. Freaked.Me.Out.

by Anonymousreply 5902/23/2011

Anything on how to teach you to be a bigger cunt? I'd be a little more interested in that one. Something tells me it has a higher success rate too.

by Anonymousreply 6002/23/2011

r60, there's a book by Snookie you might like.

r56, have you tried meditation? For me, it's not about 'blocking' things out so much as letting them pass through.

And it's like learning a musical instrument: it takes practice, practice, practice.

by Anonymousreply 6102/23/2011

It's incredibly heartening to see so many Abraham-Hicks fans here on DL. Never thought I'd see that.

One other tip straight from them:

Focus on the things you want in life, and turn your attention away from that which you don't.

For example, in the moment someone treats you rude, focus on wanting more people who treat you with respect.

If you are short of money to pay your bills, imagine yourself having all the money you need.

If you are sick, focus on being well and being the picture of health.

Abraham-Hicks provide a ton of processes that are really helpful that the Secret just talks about in broad generalities. Google "placemat process", pivoting, focus wheel, and lately "getting in the vortex". The "Ask and it is Given" book has 22 processes that can help with everything from money, to relationships, to family to health.

by Anonymousreply 6202/23/2011

[quote]If you are short of money to pay your bills, imagine yourself having all the money you need.

No offense, but how is that going to help anyone pay the bills or feel good about not being able to pay them?

by Anonymousreply 6302/23/2011

[quote] how is that going to help anyone pay the bills or feel good about not being able to pay them?

Abraham Hicks on money: "Dollars would flow abundantly into your whole experience if it were not that you were resisting them by worrying so much about them, you see. If you could take money out of the equation ... if you could no longer worry about money and just do what you do because you like doing it, money would overwhelm you. But as long as you are saying "not enough money, not enough money" you have your hands stuck in that tar baby."

by Anonymousreply 6402/23/2011

Abraham Hicks

17 seconds to more money ...

by Anonymousreply 6502/23/2011

[quote]Obama used The Secret to become President. He visualized himself as President everyday and WHAM, now he's President.

I wish he'd visualize himself as a good President.

by Anonymousreply 6602/23/2011

I've discovered The Secret: you can get rich by selling hokey, new agey, feel-good pablum to the fools who want to buy McLifestyle happiness. And you can be rich too, just imagine all that money flying from those saps' wallets into yours.

by Anonymousreply 6702/23/2011

r66 brings up a good point: you have to be specific re: what you desire from the Universe.

(Louise Hay has some great affirmation books & CDs, btw.)

Don't say, "I will live in abundance some day" or it will always be in the future. Use the present tense, "I am abundant", in the present tense for it to happen.

It's kind of like wishing you didn't have to work & then losing your get what you ask for. Be specific.

r67, I understand the satire but, seriously, one must have wholesome intentions for the Universe to respond favorably. You're heart has to be pure. The Universe cannot be tricked, used or manipulated.

I think why some people make fun of "The Secret" because [italic]they know it's true[/italic] -- either consciously or unconsciously -- they can't believe there are people who didn't already "know" this. But we all have different backgrounds. Prosperous children are more likely to grow up to be prosperous adults -- perhaps because they reared to believe that they could do anything they set their mind to. The rest of us have to learn about the Law of Attraction...

by Anonymousreply 6802/23/2011

From the various posts on this thread that state what the Secret states, it sounds like a mixture of Christian Science and they bible. However, when they state to keep away from people who have cancer because of negative thoughts and people who went through hell on earth some how they brought it on themselves is completely irrational, arrogant, cruel ,and lunacy.

by Anonymousreply 6902/23/2011

I've never met anybody who follows new age crap that was truly, authentically happy. It's fake happiness. Oh, they put on a good show for awhile, but there lives always unravel over time.

The truly happy people I've known are just decent, honest people who care about others and do for others.

by Anonymousreply 7002/23/2011

"I've received when I have not been ready; the most difficult lessons of my life. Careful what you wish for..."

Could you elaborate?

by Anonymousreply 7102/23/2011

From what I'm reading here, "The Secret" appears to be just common sense. No secret at all.

by Anonymousreply 7202/23/2011

Isn't that what most secrets come down to, R72?

by Anonymousreply 7302/23/2011

The idea that there is a "Universe" out there waiting to grant or not grant wishes is patently absurd.%0D %0D There is nothing wrong with having a rational positive attitude. Obviously a person with a good attitude is more likely to actually act and do something to attain his or her goal. Anythihg else, any meditating or focusing on desires is mystical hogwash.%0D %0D This subject bugs me because over the past couple of years I have seen it pushed on cancer patients. The last thing a desperate cancer patient needs to hear is that their cancer hasn't disappeared because they didn't focus enough to get the Universe to help them. It's very cruel.

by Anonymousreply 7402/23/2011

I totally agree with you R74. My niece died at the age of 8 years old of Leukemia.She was amazingly sweet to people to the point that she was like angelic. She didn't care who you were, she loved people. She had 300 people who were going to hold a candle light vigil for her outside of the hospital, but it was too late because she passed away. She fought for her life so hard and grasped for air wanting to live. so she made a big mistake because my 8 year old niece didn't have the correct mindset as she was fighting for her life? Those people who write stuff like that are mentally ill ,and they are sick themselves. BTW, I miss my niece immensely. she was truly one of a kind. I never met a person like ever.

by Anonymousreply 7502/23/2011

It's carte blanche for stalking. Nice concept but mr. man needs to fix his eyebrows and hair.

by Anonymousreply 7602/23/2011

The best advice I ever received was from my Indian friend: "Positive Action Towards Positive Goals."

Sometimes, we focus on the negative and try to escape it instead of on the positive, that we could walk to...

Like when we lose our jobs, we focus on being unemployed and try to escape it. This often leads to getting a crummy job. Instead, we should concentrate on enjoying the time we have free to look for a better job.

Granted, this used to work better before the US turned inside out and backwards...

by Anonymousreply 7702/23/2011

[quote]you won't get that support from hardly any posters...%0D %0D Oh, my dear lord.

by Anonymousreply 7802/23/2011

If it's a secret, how cum everyone knows it?

by Anonymousreply 7902/23/2011

r75, there's a misunderstanding here. Nowhere in The Secret does it say to "avoid people with cancer because of their negative thoughts", or that people deserve their illnesses because of their thoughts.

It's not individual thoughts, so much, as both collective & cellular.

Your eight year old niece is of course completely innocent & undeserving of her early death. So was my mom when she died at age 53, but it's more obvious when the patient is a child.

My mom's illness was our (mine & hers) turning point. We realized what was really important in this world. It is love, forgiveness, peace & joy.

This world does not value those things as much as it should. As a result, we have disease, fear, death, depression, and anger. All of us. Together.

Some "negative states" are drawn more so than others.

The Law of Attraction is about living in this world with joy. To achieve joy, we must be loving. It's really not about material wealth. It is not about "living" forever.

Because very few people are enjoying life. We know, deep down inside, that this is not our home. We know that something is missing. So we seek to find fill us the empty hole inside of us. Some use drugs, alcohol, sex or others things to fill up the hole.

And some become whole with spirituality instead.

Your niece, for her soul, did exactly what all of us really desire so much: she returned home. She now knows the perfect peace that we all seek. She can look upon her family knowing that she was not her body, and that one day they will all have the same realization / experience & all will be well.

It's our choice. We have free will. We can see things however we choose: good, bad, sad, happy, etc. I choose not to suffer, and to do my best to think affirmatively.

by Anonymousreply 8002/24/2011

Yeah, but how do I get my free shit?

by Anonymousreply 8102/24/2011

I was a hell of a lot happier when I was in my early 20's and didn't have any money. It was before I started caring about material things and the stress of obtaining and maintaining them. Living simply really is the key to happiness.

by Anonymousreply 8202/24/2011

[quote]The idea that there is a "Universe" out there waiting to grant or not grant wishes is patently absurd.

Think of it more as Newton's third law of motion as applied to the electromagnetic theory of consciousness. Whatever you concentrate your thought energy upon manifests. No 'sky fairy' or 'wish generator' just focused intent having an equal and opposite reaction.

by Anonymousreply 8302/24/2011

There's already a name for the kind of spirituality focused on "getting stuff." It's called consumerism.

by Anonymousreply 8402/24/2011

Consumerism is external and can never really satisfy one's soul. People who seek happiness through buying things will always be searching for that satisfaction, but it will ALWAYS be elusive. They will buy, buy, buy and "get" nothing. Except maybe suffering.

But you are indeed correct, r84: consumerism is a form of religion for some people.

by Anonymousreply 8502/25/2011

Here is how The Secret blames the victims of disasters, genocides, etc. It is apparently their own fault for thinking the wrong thoughts.%0D %0D from p27:%0D %0D "Everything that surrounds you right now, in your life, including the things you're complaining about, you've attracted. Now I know at first blush that's going to be something that you hate to hear. You're going to immediately say, "I didn't attract the car accident. I didn't attract this particular client who gives me a hard time. I didn't particularly attract the debt." And I'm here to be a little bit in your face and to say, yes you did attract it. This is one of the hardest concepts to get, but once you've accepted it, it's life transforming.%0D %0D "Often, when people first hear this part of the Secret, they recall events in history where masses of lives were lost and they find it incomprehensible that so many people could have attracted themselves to the event. By the law of attraction, they had to be on the same frequency as the event. It doesn't necessarily mean they thought of that exact event, but the frequency of their thoughts matched the frequency of the event. If people believe they can be at the wrong place at the wrong time, they have no control over outside circumstances, those thoughts of fear, separation, and powerlessness, if persistent, can attract them to being in the wrong place at the wrong time."%0D

by Anonymousreply 8602/26/2011

great! so the Holocaust were the victims fault. Oprah promoted this book.When she bitches about being called a lesbian, someone should say to her, well you brought it on yourself dipshit! Remember? the Secret?!!

by Anonymousreply 8702/26/2011

i never saw that "law and order" episode. was it on L&O SUV?

by Anonymousreply 8802/26/2011

Just go to Barnes & Noble and read it for free...

by Anonymousreply 8902/26/2011

by Anonymousreply 9002/26/2011

by Anonymousreply 9102/26/2011

[quote]Ok, it's bullshit, but honest truth? I found a $5 bill in the gutter after watching it. Freaked.Me.Out.

When I tried feng shui about a decade ago, I made a lovely purple and gold prosperity corner in the house and did indeed see some extra income in the next couple of weeks.

But the thing is, humans instinctively detect patterns. This means we often believe two events are the product of cause and effect when they are not even related, but we're unconsciously trying to turn it into a pattern and we draw connections where there are none.

Logically, I realized that there were 9 feng shui sections in my home, and only one of them "worked," meaning they didn't really work at all. It was just coincidence, not cause and effect. Same thing happened with you.

by Anonymousreply 9202/26/2011

r86 & r87: please see r80

by Anonymousreply 9302/26/2011

Dear M and V

Thank you for your e mail dated 16th December 2010. In reply to your Q&A as follows.

1. We arrive in Paris Nord @ 15.59 from Waterloo.

2. We agree that you should take us straight to our approved lodgings which we trust you have truly vetted.

3. We would love to try your fondue dip and nibbles.

4. I trust Marcus and Peter will meet me for evening drinks while V&M go to mid night mass and pray for our souls.

5. Breakfast sounds good Xmas day and opening of presents and taking the piss out of Peter with some drinks between courses.

6. Then Marcus%E2%80%99s Bells and whistle which we will score out of 10.

7. We think Boxing day we are best left to our own devices and to give you a chance to get over William, India and Peter.

8. We were not expecting Baby sitting in fact we were rather hoping to take you out for a meal so please think of a good Bistro that%E2%80%99s Kid friendly and some what up market from McDonalds.

9. I will bring my Mobile, See you tomorrow

Love R&M P.S Let me know you get this e mail

by Anonymousreply 9402/27/2011

Oh, r87, in regard to Oprah -- She publicly repudiated The Secret's assertion about thinking the right thoughts to banish disease -- after a breast cancer victim decided to stop her treatments and retune her brain instead. Oprah invited the woman onto her show to encourage her to resume her chemo, etc. %0D %0D I saw a link to this somewhere, then read about it on Oprah's website. %0D

by Anonymousreply 9502/28/2011

"The Secret" will not go down in history as some sacred text. It is what it is: a popular, bestseller that introduce the concept of "The Law of Attraction" to the masses who had prior never heard of it. It's nothing more than a spring board.

We are free to interpret "The Secret" and any other book however we wish. If some people choose to believe that the "The Law of Attraction" blames the victim, then so be it. They may choose that interpretation, but they are wrong & they will miss out on something that may be valuable & helpful for them.

For me, "The Law of Attraction" is about being aware of our unrecognized core beliefs. One can say, "I am prosperous," but if one feels otherwise deep down inside, then one will not be prosperous.

One might wonder, "why do I have so many assholes in my life?" Well, maybe you have subconscious behavior that attracts them. You can change that by looking into & practicing "The Law of Attraction."

"The Secret" may not be perfect & may be open to misinterpretation, but it also may have some gems in there. Be open minded -- don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

by Anonymousreply 9602/28/2011

by Anonymousreply 9702/28/2011

If only those thousands of dead, dying and soon-to-be irradiated Japanese had not been on the same "frequency" and "attracted" themselves to a massive earthquake, tsunami and nuclear meltdown....

by Anonymousreply 9803/15/2011

The real secret (as Abraham is telling it) is that our main reason we exist is to feed our bigger cosmic energy part with our rockets of desire. Our wishes and desires make our bigger cosmic self grow bigger and bigger (= expand).

by Anonymousreply 9903/15/2011

The real question is, being positive about the future make you less likely to pull yourself out of a bad situation or does it get you through a bad situation?

by Anonymousreply 10003/17/2011

Oh, please I know many people who are hypochondriacs and yet they never actually get sick. Wouldn't someone who, for decades, has thought a headache is a brain tumor eventually get a brain tumor according to "The Secret"?

by Anonymousreply 10106/05/2011

[quote]Oh, please I know many people who are hypochondriacs and yet they never actually get sick.

Some might argue that most of these people seek attention (pay attention to me, probe me, look closer, check me out! take care of me, pity me, lift me up, listen to me and my problems, etc.) and get their wish. When their real wish is attention then their wish does come true.

by Anonymousreply 10206/05/2011

True, R102. Through my experiences with them, I have long ago concluded that hypochondriacs are basically just self-absorbed attention junkies looking for a fix.

by Anonymousreply 10306/05/2011

go back to ivillage, r35.

by Anonymousreply 10406/05/2011

So what are you supposed to do? I read something about an intention or wish board that you're supposed to stare at every day.

by Anonymousreply 10507/02/2011

To the posters who are talking about DL being a 'den of vipers' and against positive thinking, and therefore they must step away from it...%0D %0D Good luck living any kind of life like that. Nothing to fear but fear itself. If you can't handle TEXT CRITIQUES of things that you WRITE, then how the hell are you going to handle the many chaotic twists and turns of real life?%0D %0D DL is a good workout to prepare for the real bitchiness out in the world.

by Anonymousreply 10607/02/2011

My own theory regarding sadness and happiness comes from Al-Anon:%0D %0D "Sit with your feelings."%0D %0D Too many people experience a bad situation and then they run from it in fear. They spend more energy living in terror of the Thing than they would've if they had just sat there and FELT bad for a little while.%0D %0D Whenever I've had any kind of loss, rejection, or negativity...I just sit there, maybe for a couple days, just take some 'me' time, and FEEL BAD about it. It adds character to your life, and you really get over it.%0D %0D When you run away from problems it only makes them worse, and also makes them SEEM worse.

by Anonymousreply 10707/02/2011

I have a sibling who is into this. She's utterly delusional.

She believes that a variety of immutable circumstances are changed by her just thinking about it, including a disease which she's massively in denial about in lieu of proper treatment.

Reality is a good thing, for better or worse.

by Anonymousreply 10807/02/2011

It's only delusional when the thing you ask for doesn't happen.

by Anonymousreply 10907/02/2011

Didn't one guy who championed it go to jail for manslaugher for some sweat detox.

by Anonymousreply 11007/02/2011

The dirty little "secret" is that people who believe this bullshit are douchebags.

Just live your life with honesty, integrity and compassion and you'll be happy.

by Anonymousreply 11107/02/2011

I tried networking with a big Hollywood creative type so I could get a job working for him as a writer on one of his many TV shows.%0D %0D I did everything the Secret encourages people to do to get what they want. %0D %0D He was nice and talked to me like I was a human being (which doesn't happen in Hollywood) and he kept saying, "Sure, send your script over." %0D %0D I did; my agent followed up with calls, but nothing ever came of it. I get it. He gets tons of submissions. %0D %0D I was at a party last year and ran into him again. At this point, it's not happening and I'm letting the idea of working for him go.%0D %0D People were taking pictures with him and I said, 'ah screw it. it's not like he's going to hire me anyway,' so I ask someone to take a picture of us.%0D %0D Somebody did with my camera phone and they looked at it and said, "oh, it's blurry. I'll take another." %0D %0D Not wanting to waste his time I said, "Forget it. It's fine. It's just for my vision board."%0D %0D The exec/writer laughed. He got the joke.%0D %0D If vision boards and that shit worked I would have gotten hired.

by Anonymousreply 11207/02/2011

if those little starving children in the sudan stopped concentrating on the *lack* of food in their lives, and more grateful to the *abundance* offered by the universe, they wouldn't be hungry anymore.

by Anonymousreply 11307/03/2011

I guess the only reason it didn't work for the 6 million that Hitler killed -- who were probably all visualizing not dying -- is because they were Jews and, as we know, they killed Christ.

But then what about those Christian kids that were murdered at Columbine ... I guess they just weren't picturing being alive hard enough.

Although I am confused about the Oscars -- knowing actors the way that I do, I'm sure that all five nominees for Best Actor had spent the previous six weeks working on their acceptance speech, probably each had cleared a space on their "honors self". So how does the universe decide to whom to give the Oscar.

It's all so confusing.

by Anonymousreply 11407/03/2011

R114 LOL - Exactly! %0D %0D I'd like for defenders of The Secret to explain those situations.

by Anonymousreply 11507/03/2011

R70 Me neither. I know a woman who has been following all of the suggestions made in "The Secret" (vision boards, positive thinking, blah blah blah) for years expecting the universe to bring her the husband of her dreams, make her rich, get her a new job, etc, and guess what? She still has no husband, is still poor, and still working at the job she hates. This has been going on for years, yet she keeps wasting her time on this shit, thinking it's going to happen eventually.

I also know a man who has been doing this shit for years, yet he still has no boyfriend and still living in a rundown trailer.

"The Secret" is no different from a religion - just a bunch of claims with no evidence/proof to back them up.

by Anonymousreply 11612/28/2011

[quote]I was given "The Secret" as a gift. I stopped reading it at about p32, when it suggested victims of disasters, genocides, etc. did something to bring it upon themselves.

Just vile. I don't know how people can take that shit seriously.

I haven't read the book, but I've seen the film, and one of the people in the film is a fat balding guy. If The Secret works, why can't that guy "attract" a full head of hair and a better body? That should be simple enough for the universe, right?

by Anonymousreply 11712/28/2011

Think of "The Secret" as a tool to keep your spirits up during tough times. The power of positive thinking has been around in various forms, for a while now.

by Anonymousreply 11812/28/2011

The callousness of it is no different than that of the psychopaths who believe in Karma and God's Will.

by Anonymousreply 11912/28/2011

If you can't give your money to people telling you to not visit cancer patients to spare yourself the negativity, why the fuck would you want to try their philosophy? Even for free?

by Anonymousreply 12012/28/2011

"The Secret" simply tells people what they want to hear: That they can have anything they want if they just want it badly enough. Who doesn't like to be told that?

Oh, and Marketing 101: Always use the word "Secret" in your title. Works every time. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

by Anonymousreply 12112/28/2011

R6 Iagree

by Anonymousreply 12212/27/2012

The one good thing they point out is attitude. Why make things worse by being miserable? Look for the good and keep your spirits up to get through the bad times. Great advice!

by Anonymousreply 12312/27/2012

The Secret really works. I visualized myself being surrounded by huge cock all day and now I'm working at a horse stable at the race track!

by Anonymousreply 12412/27/2012

For those of you on DL who gave the most sensible answers, and hopefully you know who you are, what if any self-help books or on-line articles do you recommend? Please avoid those reminiscent of super-salesmen, phony pablum, pie-in-the-sky, pithy pronouncements, etc, otherwise known as garbage.

by Anonymousreply 12512/28/2012

[quote,]avoid what doesn't serve you

Well, there goes the BF.

by Anonymousreply 12612/28/2012

The Secret or "Ways to keep hope alive"

by Anonymousreply 12712/28/2012

Of the best mental-health self-help books out there is [italic]Feeling Good[/italic] by David Burns.

by Anonymousreply 12812/28/2012

^ "One of"

by Anonymousreply 12912/28/2012

Abraham Hicks has been the best for me, you can buy their books or just look them up on Youtube for free

by Anonymousreply 13012/28/2012

by Anonymousreply 13112/28/2012

I tried it and I'm still po. But I agree with the basic premise which is to have a positive attitude. Negative thinking gets you nowhere.

by Anonymousreply 13212/28/2012

R133 sounds poor.

by Anonymousreply 13412/29/2012

I hate people who act happy for no reason...lying assholes!

When life is shit, SHOUT IT TO THE ROOFTOPS!

by Anonymousreply 13512/29/2012

by Anonymousreply 13712/29/2012

by Anonymousreply 13812/29/2012

Yup R139

by Anonymousreply 14012/30/2012

"You can have anything you want! Wanna know how? Well...that's a secret! But for $29.99, I'll let you in on it!"

by Anonymousreply 14112/30/2012

No concrete proof = horseshit. Just like religion and "god".

by Anonymousreply 14212/30/2012

Like magic rituals and future telling methods (runes and tarot cards, for example) they are mere tools to focus your attention and awareness to what you deeply desire and notice the signs that proof that what you seek is waiting for you.

You want luck and good fortune? Perform a good luck ritual and you will see all these opportuniies that will put you at ease and no longer feel like a hopeless Debbie Downer with no luck at all.

You want to lose weight? You buy an expensive diet plan and follow it and by keeping your focus on losing weight and imagine the feeling of victory that you feel (I spend so much money on it I may as well get something out of it!) when you have lost weight and out of nowhere you will lose weight!

You want something NOT to work? Well, just focus your attention on the proof that is showing you that it doesn't work and you confirm your own belief system with ease.

by Anonymousreply 14312/30/2012

by Anonymousreply 14412/30/2012

by Anonymousreply 14512/30/2012

"The power of positive thinking has been around in various forms, for a while now."

Uh, no. Are there people who really believe this IQ = 75 madness?

by Anonymousreply 14612/30/2012

R146 Check out the impressive results of the Placebo effect, I link you to a great NG documentary about it.

by Anonymousreply 14712/30/2012

Are there any studies that show benefits from thinking positive? would be interesting if they made and experiment between people who are influenced to think positve and negative.

by Anonymousreply 14812/30/2012

The placebo effect is one thing, R147. After all, the brain and the rest of the body are connected through neurons.

There is no proof, though, that the brain is intimately connected to the rest of the mind-bogglingly massive Universe (!). How would one propose that the brain affects the entire Universe, with its coterie of physical laws and iron-clad causality?

by Anonymousreply 14912/30/2012

R125, I recommend "A Return to Love" by Marianne Williamson.

Someone posted Abraham Hicks, who is also excellent.

Louise Hay is good.

Oh...and "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle. Changed my life!

Eric Butterworth, too...

by Anonymousreply 15012/30/2012

R149, you've never noticed how moods spread? Our thoughts are not ours alone. People pick up our vibes and react to them ...subconsciously.

by Anonymousreply 15112/30/2012

R125, also check out Bashar/Paul Anka on Youtube. It's like Abraham Hicks only better and supercharged in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 15212/30/2012

Sorry, R151 - we'll just have to agree to disagree. Moods don't spread by vibes - they result from brain chemistry, which in turn responds to outside stimuli.

by Anonymousreply 15312/30/2012

R150, R152, Thank you and will check them out.

by Anonymousreply 15412/30/2012

All of this would also tie in with quantum mechanics wich claims that we create our own Reality. I have had this happen to me alot that when I was insecure or very negative towards something it went wrong even though it shouldnt have. Sometimes it scared me as I thought about something and that might happen, and then it did happen...happened alot otherwise I wouldnt have paid attention to it.

I dont believe in lying to yourself at all and I wouldnt, but I believe that if you concentrate on what you want rather than what you dont or lack, then it creates entire different ways and possibilities. It is impossible tho to always stay postive and think like that, thats the issue.

by Anonymousreply 15512/30/2012

People who talk about The Secret, are worse then fundies.

by Anonymousreply 15612/30/2012

by Anonymousreply 15712/30/2012

[quote]Louise Hay is good.

You've got to be joking! That is the same woman who claimed back in the 80's that gay men with AIDS could cure themselves with her "positive thinking" techniques (and of course these "techniques" were revealed only after these sick people shelled out money). And guess what? The people still died anyway.

by Anonymousreply 15812/30/2012

R83 well said

by Anonymousreply 15912/30/2012

R155 does not understand quantum theory well. He's referring to the Everett many-worlds interpretation, which you can read about in the link.

We do not control the Universe with our thoughts. It's almost shameful to think ourselves so important to have this causal power.

by Anonymousreply 16012/31/2012

R160 I have red and watched many documentaries on this subject and there are alot of scientists that say that the reality as we know it is a hollogram and that the Universe does unfold for and because of us. They had that famous kitten experiment.

I think you take things willfully to literal in order to make them sound more unrealistic. I do believe that we influence our reality with our thoughts absoluetely. Do I think it works like some kind of magic genie Lamp? hell no.

by Anonymousreply 16112/31/2012

(Esther Hicks has said the best practitioner of the The Secret/Power of Attraction has been Rhonda Byrne herself.)

The trajectory has been Rhonda Byrne influenced by Abraham/Hicks influenced by Theo/Sheila Gillette & Seth/Jane Roberts & Napoleon Hill

Tony Robbins influenced by Maxwell Maltz/Psychocybernetics

Louise Hay influenced by Ernest Holmes/Science of Mind/Unity influenced by New Thought/Phineas Quimby & The Swedenborgians

Napoleon Hill influenced by New Thought

There is a hermetic phrase, "As above, so below", which is phrased in the bible "as in heaven, so on earth". We all live in our heads. The basic message of New Thought and "Think and grow rich" is: you are rich if you can control your thoughts. The emphasis is on the "thought" not on positive affirmations. Too many people miss the point of the real secret.

(CBT, which is one of the few therapies that work, also emphasizes "thought".)

by Anonymousreply 16212/31/2012

If you want a thorough review of how the prosperity and positivity movement developed in the US, what aspects of it are and are not supported scientifically, and how this affects our society, I highly recommend "Bright Sided" by Barbara Ehrenreich.

by Anonymousreply 16312/31/2012

I used to buy into all the New Age stuff, including the Abraham Hicks teachings. Let me tell you, there is no end to the "rabbit trail" of horse shit you will go down following this stuff. I know this sounds flakey, but just read the book of John in the New Testement. It's simple, the message is free, and trust me it will change your life a hell of a lot more than Abraham Hicks/Secret/New Age stuff will.

by Anonymousreply 16412/31/2012

Its like confidence in a way, alot of us dress in a certain way to impress people, we make jokes, try to be witty buy designer clothes not ony because they look good but because they make us feel good. If we feel confident, then alot of the times it shows and the peopl react to it.

And alot of the times its not the actual clothes, the reason why others react better towards us but it is our attitude.

by Anonymousreply 16512/31/2012

Physics is a very literal enterprise, R161...

by Anonymousreply 16612/31/2012

[quote]I used to buy into all the New Age stuff, including the Abraham Hicks teachings. Let me tell you, there is no end to the "rabbit trail" of horse shit you will go down following this stuff.

Ditto. I tried it for a few years and it did absolutely nothing to improve my life. Same goes for the other people I know who've tried it, only they're stupid enough to keep believing it, even though after years their lives are still shit and nothing on their "vision board" has come true yet.

by Anonymousreply 16712/31/2012

It's all about the attitude. People who think of 'The Secret' and all of its positive thinking/affirmation teachings as a cosmic ATM machine will give up enventually, because all they really do is tap their foot, keep an eye on their watch and ask impatiently: Now, where is all my stuff that I wished for? It should have arrived by now! Where the fuck is it???? I was promised stuff when I do this, where is it???? You fuckers are all against me getting my stuff, don't you? Assholes, you don't want me to be happy! I hate all of you and I hate me even more for caring about what you guys do and think!

The core basic concept: Happy / positive thoughts attract more happy / positive thoughts and as a result shift your awareness to happy / positve experiences. Negative thoughts attract more negative thoughts and as a result attract negative experiences.

What guys like Bashar, Abraham (Jerry and Ester Hicks), or Louise Hay mean when they talk about us creating our own reality is the attitude towards our surroundings and what we decide to pay attention to. I believe it's Abraham who uses the mental image of a kitchen that is only filled with stuff you want and you can (or are willing to) use while all the rest of the kitchen supplies, food, spices, etc. that exist don't bother you at all, you just don't need them and their mere existence shouldn't threaten (or bother) you in any way.

by Anonymousreply 16812/31/2012

It's all about harnessing your intention. That's all. All quantum mechanics really is, is the study of the different laws of physics when concerning the miniscule. The laws change and are not the same as the laws that run massive objects. Don't make more of it than it is.

by Anonymousreply 16912/31/2012

Death to useless New Age bullshit!

by Anonymousreply 17012/31/2012

Am I the only one that believe after even reading synopsis of some of these books that its all a bunch of words with little or no meaning? "Create your own reality." OK. Sounds good but how would you apply that to your real life? It actually all reminds me of Tom Hanks as "Chauncy Gardener." Anyone remember my reference?

by Anonymousreply 17101/01/2013

R169 well yeah, but you are just breaking down what quantum physics explains, I am on about the effect it has on life. I found that cat experiment very interesting.Our actions do impact reality, and our thoughts impact and guide our actions. I think there is a misunderstanding.

by Anonymousreply 17201/01/2013

r158, where did Louise Hay promise to save lives with positive thinking? Here is her direct quote from [bold]1988[/bold]:

[quote][italic]"Yes, it's true that many people are leaving (dying)," Hay says, noticing that some in the audience are also crying, "but some are getting well. . . . Love is the most powerful stimulant to the immune system. What we're doing here is practicing love, unconditional love."[/italic][/quote]

And this Q&A is from the article to which you link:

[quote]Do you think Hay was just profiteering from fear about HIV and AIDS with her Hay Rides, books, movies, calendars, and appearances on Oprah?[/quote]

[quote]JFM: No, I believe there was a real sense of passion and care behind her work, that she truly believed in the mind-body connection. However, it seemed to take on a life of its own...[/quote]

The NYT's 2008 article by Mark Oppehneimer, it's emphasized that churches "wouldn't touch" AIDS patients back then. Who were they going to go to? They were dying alone at the end of hospital hallways, with their food being delivered outside their doors:

[quote]David Kessler, who wrote “On Grief and Grieving” with Elisabeth Kübler-Ross, recalls that as a young hospice worker he sometimes ran the Hay Rides when Louise was out of town. “When I look back,” he says, “it was such a time of desperation for so many people. It was also one of those times in history when the medical world didn’t have much to offer. . . . I was strictly Western medicine. But in that world of providing services to these people dying, our models just weren’t working for this population. . . . They were being left to die at the end of the hallway in hospitals. Their food was being left outside the door. There were few welcome mats anywhere. And to say she had a welcome mat would be an understatement.”

by Anonymousreply 17301/01/2013

How is it what Louise Hay says any different from what Lao Tzu said 15 centuries ago?

[quote][bold]“Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habit. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.” [/bold]

The Secret focuses too much on outcome, attachments & material wealth.

But other New Thought experts -- Deepak Chopra, Wayne Dyer, Marianne Williamson, Eckhart Tolle, etc -- are simply emphasizing [italic]mindfulness[/italic]. Watch your thoughts. Be aware that you HAVE a mind and have power over it. You decide what to think about, and you decide how to feel. It's all up to you.

If it were easy, we'd all be doing it.

by Anonymousreply 17401/01/2013

This thread is a great example of why we arcompletely fucked. Critical thinking has gone out the widow and people are grasping for any half-baked nonsense to enable their denial.It's all rooted in the "magical thinking" that children egage in, and as adult in this society become more and more infantile you see more of it. It's exhibited by tea baggers and these "positivity" believers just in different ways. Simple-mindedness replacing complex thinking that sees nuance, context, and subjectivity, versus cartoon thinking.

We can't survive as a world if it persists. We need smarter people, not better robots.

by Anonymousreply 17501/01/2013

R161..I don't care what you've "red"...the wotrld is not a hologram. Your thinking is impaired.

by Anonymousreply 17601/01/2013

R174...nonsense. "Mindfullness" meas somethingompletely different than what these hucksters selling. If you were truly being mindfull you would see the damage done by such nonsense. What it really is, is an appeal to narcissism. Placing each person at the center of the universe, rather than contextualizing life in a way that makes us rise up against oppression, poverty, and bigotry. It's a great way to placate the mindless masses into seeing themselves through a lens of magical thinking that, in essence, makes people into self-centered robots.

by Anonymousreply 17701/01/2013

Magical thinking it is, and this belief system plays well into the middle class and overfed (relieves them of guilt) and removes any social responsibilities.

America was not built on magical thinking--it was built on the backs of poor whites, blacks, and Indians. We have too much leisure time in this country, and we are so sedentary that any goofy idea across the telly is hypnotic.

Magical and childish thinking is emasculating men in America. You go nowhere if you don't actually put your back into something, and the men that do put hard labor into life are winning as in Latinos will be the majority soon in America.

Yes, Latinos are Catholic, put that's a brand of magical thinking that is a proven winner. The Catholic church has billions of followers and is prosperous, whether you like it or not, bitches. It has also civilized the world and made it more livable for many.

The New Age chanting bullshit is not successful and you are wasting your time.

by Anonymousreply 17801/01/2013

And I'd like to add that good old fashioned Judaism is another success story and is plenty magical---Jews are the true winners in this world but they won't give us their secrets!

by Anonymousreply 17901/01/2013

Jews + Catholics = civility, kindness, social responsibility and generosity.

Sounds pretty "magical" to me!

by Anonymousreply 18001/01/2013

Now you call it magical thinking, wow... I usually am quite the Cynic and tend to think and expect negative and there for I subconsciously so Things that will end Bad. Thank god I realize it now when I do it. I also study psychology. The Way you guys Try to Falsely Paint it, is very simplistic. The Way I Take it is that as I wrote earlier, our thoughts become actions of course it Goes deeper than that. I for One dont know anything about this Universe and when I Look up and See the sky, or watch documentaries about it I realise how lil we all know. How do you doubters explain the Placebo effect?

by Anonymousreply 18101/01/2013

r177, please define "mindfulness." TIA.

by Anonymousreply 18201/01/2013

R181, why do you capitalize random words? Is that part of your belief system?

by Anonymousreply 18301/01/2013

R183 I type from my iPhone n it's a German one, I often forget to switch to English.....

by Anonymousreply 18401/01/2013

R179, It's not one's religion that leads to success as much as instilled values. Those that achieve the most often come from a place where they need to prove something, combined with the emphasis of education and continued learning and exploration.

by Anonymousreply 18501/01/2013

by Anonymousreply 18601/04/2013

I think it all boils down to character is destiny. You can take the religion and all the new age hocus pocus out of it. Your character will determine who you become. And you form your character young.

Success is varied. To some it's money, a good life, nice house. To others it may be an inward journey with little regard for material things. Both are equal.

by Anonymousreply 18701/04/2013

I know what you mean with inward journey.

by Anonymousreply 18801/05/2013

It is in our core nature to expand our own knowledge, self worth, material wealth, love, etc. It might have been branded as greed (to want and crave more) and tied to insecurity (when we care too much about other people's status and experiences), but this desire is with us from the day we are born and it's our relationship with that very desire which gives us the experiences we had, have, and will have in our existenence.

Most people are afraid of themselves (or to confront themselves) and the issues they are having. That's why they distract themselves with other people's issues or self destructive activities.

Religion (like the Christian one) provides people with some outside source (God), rules (ten commandments), and logic (God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve!) where they can put all their power into so they don't feel the burden of having any power themselves.

by Anonymousreply 18901/05/2013

It is this decade's EST training.

by Anonymousreply 19001/05/2013

[quote]It is this decade's EST training.

Pretty much!

by Anonymousreply 19101/05/2013

Whatever gets you through the day. It's better than relying on booze and pills. This world sucks. But here we are. Why be miserable? I enjoy having a friendly, optimistic attitude. It has contributed to my professional success and financial security. It's not magical thinking for me. It's coping with chaos, crises, and pain and rising above it. I enjoy being happy, so sue me.

by Anonymousreply 19201/05/2013

But you can only be optimistic if you never look at the facts. The facts pretty much tell you that there is nothing to be optimistic about. As the human race developes, it just gets worse instead of better. The worst of the lot...often rises to the top. Boehner, for instance.

by Anonymousreply 19301/05/2013

R193, I'm optimistic because...

- we have a black president

- I may likely see a woman president in my life time

- the tea party will ultimately self-destruct and fade into nothingness.

- in my childhood, homosexuality was on the books as a mental illness. Now we have an openly gay congresswoman, and Rachel Maddow anchored MSNBC on the biggest news night of the year: the presidential election.

- I know there is a better way, and I'm doing what I can to live it

- I have power over my mind. I control my attitude and perceptions. I choose my thoughts. I am not at the mercy of the world

- I know a multitude of good people who also want to live life on their own terms, and not be victims of the world.

Like I said, it works for me...and sure as heck beats the alternative.

Peace to you.

by Anonymousreply 19401/05/2013

R194 great post. It's important to consider we are co-creators with universal energy. So yes set your intentions and think positive so that you are actively creating your life rather than passively taking the slings and arrows. Pray then take action is the key.

by Anonymousreply 19501/05/2013

I'm shocked that people believe in this madness. Who can believe that their mind will actively warp reality? Unreal - it's like they're living in Ursula K. LeGuin's "The Lathe of Heaven".

by Anonymousreply 19601/05/2013

So does anyone have a concrete example of thinking positive even in the darkest of times, with a good outcome? Or did you ever experience such a success u did not imagine? R194 It also gave me great hope about Obama being reelected, this may sound simplistic but this election it truly was good against evil! Considering the repugs and all their evil and medieval shit they tried to pull off with all their stints lies, phobias and fox news.

by Anonymousreply 19701/05/2013

R197, a year ago my job was getting outsourced and I was very worried. I was scared of being unemployed during tough economic times. I have a mortgage, car payment and bank loan to pay off.

Now a year later, I have a new job at the same place and am very happy. Love my co-workers, my office, customers, etc.

Kept my benefits and seniority...including six weeks of paid vacation each year.

I'd say thinking positive and having a good attitude served me well. I had no idea what the eventual outcome would be, but I knew how I wanted to deal with it.

I've had other problems that just fixed themselves. It woeks for me. :)

by Anonymousreply 19801/05/2013

the secret is: you can't just stand there by your mailbox and wait for a check to arrive in the have to WORK for it. You can visualize, but you must be willing to work for whatever you want.

by Anonymousreply 19901/05/2013

R198 Good for you. Do and you kept thinking positive and imagine a positive outcome? I always like to hear positive stories nowadays when a lot of ppl seem to struggle! R199 I agree, I do believe that there is misunderstanding because just thinking positive wont be always enough you have to do hard work? But for me whenever I focused on the goal and thought of scenario in Wich I could reach it, it worked out the best. I am just thinking about all the troubled people, if they would start thinking positive or understand that they are creating their own lives and aren't victims of it like another poster said, even the most depressed and unfortunate could get somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 20001/05/2013

I have a very serious question for you all:

Does having frequent sex with strangers keep one's mood up? Does it make you feel more positive about the future?

Is casual sex a form of anti-depressant?

by Anonymousreply 20101/05/2013

R201 I for one don't have casual sex, but during sex endorphins are shooting through your braind and those are responsible for being happy. So I guess the answer is yes unless your addicted to sex.

by Anonymousreply 20201/05/2013

I knew a man who came to the US for his MS. He fell into this bullshit and "lived it". He eventually lost his job in America, got deported back to the poorest country in South America, is 40 years old now and lives with his mommie and hateful daddy. He is lonely, has no partner and yet blogs about The Secret, is he delusional?

by Anonymousreply 20301/05/2013

R203 I do think that many mistake the message that the secret is trying to bring across, as some sort of wish making magic. But the truth is that you still have to work for what you want, but a osirive attitude or focusing on what you want makes it most of the times easier to get it.

by Anonymousreply 20401/05/2013

"the observer is the observed"

by Anonymousreply 20501/05/2013

"I try to become willing to forgive the perpetrators. It's very hard to do. My anger toward the Koch Brothers, Glenn Beck, etc., is righteous & justified. But that anger serves no purpose. It just contributes more negativity in the world."

Well, R42, if you just stew in your anger and do nothing, then it's true that the anger serves no purpose. But did you ever consider that you might work against the evils of these people? There are various ways to do so.

What if blacks living in America in the first half of the 20th century had said to themselves, "My anger towards racists and the laws they pass and promulgate is righteous and justified. But that anger serves no purpose. It just contributes more negativity to the world."

See my point>

by Anonymousreply 20601/05/2013

R206 I see your point exactly, I am one of the people who do wanna give this Secret a try. But I for one don't take it as I won't be angry anymore at people, I couldn't. And you are damn right if we all just stood around ignored our anger and done fuck all, than nothing would have changed. The way I would use Abraham Hicks teachings, is I would do something against what makes me angry if I see need, but wld use those technics of osirive thinking in my fight to do so.

by Anonymousreply 20701/05/2013

Thanks, 203, but that's no how idiots like Oprah explain it. I avoid her like the plague, but I happened to see a clip from her TV show where she was talking about how nervous she was over whether she would get the part in THE COLOR PURPLE, how she was having all these negative thoughts that she probably wouldn't get it -- and then, as I remember the story, she went out in a field somewhere and cleared her mind of worry, then she went back into the house to be told she had just gotten a phone call that she got the part.

Your sort of wanna smack people who talk like that, especially in this case, because Oprah's audience includes so many poor fools who hang on and believe her every word.

by Anonymousreply 20801/05/2013

Right, R208, and her "mind-clearing" had nothing to do with the fact that she has always had great team of publicists and agents busting their humps for her.

Notice how she never thanks or acknowledges them? She can only attribute her success to her "mindfulness."

by Anonymousreply 20901/05/2013

Sorry, my message was intended for R204, not R203.

by Anonymousreply 21001/05/2013

I tried to do that mind-clearing thing once. Just for fun. I was walking along 57th Street and I decided I'd try and figure out the color of the next car that went by. I emptied my mind and the color blue came up. Sure enough, I looked to my left and there was a blue van. But I believe in all that stuff. I'm not crazy about the ego-driven divas who push it, but I've used some of the techniques unconsciously and they do work.

by Anonymousreply 21101/05/2013

R206, please be reasonable. We can't cover every scenario in writing a post. Wanting to forgive and not be angry does not equate giving up on activism and making the world a better place. We are all impressed with your brilliant critical thinking skills, but must you over generalize everything?

by Anonymousreply 21201/05/2013

Maybe more ppl wanna share their stories with a good outcome

by Anonymousreply 21301/05/2013

R210, Yeah some people hear what they wanna hear. R211 I've been reading a lot about it and the subconscious mind is way more powerfull and influential than the conscious one. Any one more stories?

by Anonymousreply 21401/05/2013

R211 You're really reaching. There's tons of blue cars on the road, so that's not exactly a surprise that you saw one so often.

by Anonymousreply 21501/05/2013

This thread is like walking into the asylum.

by Anonymousreply 21601/06/2013

R216 even if this whoe idea would be wrong, than having a positive way of thinking would still help most of us, if we don't see it wrongly as some kind of wish granting charm.

by Anonymousreply 21701/06/2013

I don't understand how people really believe there is a spiritual being talking "through" Esther on those tapes! And why would this being need to put on a funny accent and not just speak through her normal voice. Horseshit.

by Anonymousreply 21801/06/2013

R218 I never thought that there's a spiritual being talking through Esther and I thought she just had a southern accent? (I'm not American)

by Anonymousreply 21901/06/2013

Her normal voice is totally different than "Abraham." what do you think she does when they say she's going to conjure Abraham up so the interviewer can talk to him?

by Anonymousreply 22001/06/2013

We don't put up with this cult bullshit in Germany.

by Anonymousreply 22101/06/2013

I've read 'The Secret' but what really worked for me was Abraham-Hicks. In the beginning Esther's voice was way different, but anyone who says she speaks with a strange accent is listening to stuff from years ago, and accent or no, it works for me.

to put it in the most accessible terms, your attitude steers your experience, and people crave validation and 'being right', so they will look for proof to back up their attitude, whether you say you want to remain in that attitude or not. You are the only person responsible for your attitude and how you react (or don't react) to your environment in every moment.

by deliberately choosing better feeling thoughts, you will start looking for better feeling things and before you know it you will feel better.

Feeling better doesn't equal feeling good, you're not going to make a giant leap from rage to joy, but it's not such a huge leap from rage to anger, and from anger to discouragement to blame to frustration to pessimism to blase to contentment to hopefulness to optimism and so on.

I think where people trip up is when they come across something that they don't like, and instead of looking at how that got into their experience, and what it has to teach them about what they DO like, instead they chalk it up as evidence that the world is against them, and in doing so, they attract more of what they DON'T want.

by Anonymousreply 22201/06/2013

R222 very well said! How exactly did it work for you?

by Anonymousreply 22301/06/2013

I am not that into Abraham Hicks anymore because something is a little off about them. They would always say you let the universe heal you or some such then Jerry Hicks got cancer and wasted no time getting chemo. He died btw. I like Orin channeled by Sanaya Roman better. It's very gentle and uplifting and gives you a spacious feeling.

There is nothing wrong with anger but you need to harness it so it doesn't eat you alive. Jesus got angry and went in on people too but he created a lesson or larger meaning from it.

by Anonymousreply 22401/06/2013

r224 agreed about anger but even Jesus had a temper tantrum because he was hungry and a fig tree wasn't putting out. (see link)

r223 I see evidence of my new way of looking at things all the time. for the last couple years I've found myself in periods of bliss, marveling at the miracles that surround me:

for a simple example, take a common pigeon- I could look at it as a filthy rat with wings or I could look at it as a marvel, a living creature that can fly, is very adaptable, cleans up after people, and provides food for other animals.

when I look for the positive, I find more of it: I run into people I'd been thinking about, I notice more beauty, make more and better connections, and now have built quite a wonderful life for myself. former problems of mine, worry about poverty, other people's opinions, and being 'less than', while not eradicated at this time, no longer sit in the driver's seat- I've taken responsibility.

when something 'bad' happens to me, instead of crying victim and ruminating over every other 'bad' thing in my past, I look and see how it came about and what my role in it was, and what that says to me about what attitude I'm attached to.

my levels of aggravation, road rage, frustration and judgement have all dipped. my empathy, compassion, ease in mixing with previously unpleasant people, and the number of happy coincidences and collaborations have risen greatly.

as far as Jerry Hicks taking chemo, I'm sure he thought it through and decided that was the way to go. I don't judge him for that.

I no longer believe we were put on earth to live up to some kind of standard to please a conditional god, or are given tests to pass or fail. we bring everything into o

by Anonymousreply 22501/07/2013

Such madness... It's actually becoming a hoot to read.

by Anonymousreply 22601/07/2013

Well, you own your own brain and should master your own thoughts.

However, be very careful as to who you listen to. If someone is profitting off of their philosophies than question them. If someone is claiming to be channeling than DISMISS them.

Always use your critical thinking skills, if you have any. They are a gift from God.

Never let anyone change you.

by Anonymousreply 22701/07/2013

I used the "Law of Attraction" tips from The Secret for 4 years trying to attract a good paying job, doing everything on my end to try to make it happen. Guess what? Never got one.

It's horseshit. There's nothing wrong with positive thinking, but to believe that you can "attract" ANYTHING that you desire (even with hard work) is setting yourself up for a letdown. Yes, actively working to make things happen will always increase your chances, but you can still end up emptyhanded.

by Anonymousreply 22801/07/2013

Im with R222

by Anonymousreply 22901/07/2013

There is some truth to it.

by Anonymousreply 23001/08/2013

r228 from my take on Abraham-Hicks, working hard and really trying are the opposite of what you want to do, because what happens is something like "I lack X so I must keep working", which turns into "I thought I was doing the right things but I still lack X so I must be doing something wrong" or "I still lack X so I must work harder".

what all those statements have in common is "I lack X", and when that's your focus, it becomes your point of attraction, and you'll continue to attract "lack of X."

One of Hicks books is called 'The Art of Allowing', allowing being the operative word.

so instead of saying "I lack X", try something that feels better, like "I'm deserving of X, I'm going to let go of my attachment to the lack of X, I'm going to allow X to happen for me, I'm going to accept X and now feel that it is nearby, waiting for me to become ready for it. This is how things go, I can remember when I had A,B,C... all the way to W, so I'm going to practice feeling that X is picking up speed, I'm going to practice what it feels like to have X, and while I do that, I'm going to notice things that remind me of X (not remind me of my lack of X), X and I are getting closer, X is close at hand, I like bringing things like X into my life."

by Anonymousreply 23101/08/2013

"The Secret" kind of works. I used it's techniques and wished I had a bigger penis but all I got was a hypogonadism that made my balls shrink. So now my dick kind of looks bigger

by Anonymousreply 23201/08/2013

The Hicks (and their Abraham crap) are major frauds.

by Anonymousreply 23301/08/2013

Law of Attraction works for me, concrete example just happened: I had sprained my ankle and was just going to tough it out but as it appeared to be getting worse, I went to my doctor who then ordered x-rays and referred me to a podiatrist.

I called this morning and the soonest they could see me was next Monday, but I felt I'd get an earlier appointment if I wanted one and without verbalizing it, they offered me one for tomorrow.

you can call it coincidence and dismiss it, but I have coincidences like this more frequently and with bigger and faster results, and I choose to attribute that to my attitude and appreciation of the good things in my life

by Anonymousreply 23401/08/2013

R234 any other examples? Does anyone have anything really put of the ordinary?

by Anonymousreply 23501/08/2013

The whole positive thinking worked for me. After my mom died, me trying to commit suicide (thanks to getting barely any sleep at all for nearly two months), and the foreclosure of me and my mom's home I had bad side effects from my anti depressant medication so I used breathing / meditation methods before sleeping and it worked pretty great and I am able to live medication free. The positive affirmation techniques from Louise Hay and the teachings of Abrahams almost immediately showed me the opportunity to not only move to a very nice rental place, but I was also able to take my mom's cat with me and the place had a storage facility where I was able to put all my old stuff in without making my apartment look like a hoarder's home from the start. At that time this was pretty much close to a lottery win.

I was at the bottom filled with hopelesness, fears, and anxiety. Since I had nothing to lose I fully committed to the thought that these before mentioned methods and teachings will most certainly work ... and they did work, because I believed and expected them to work and I didn't bother to look for signs and proof that they will not work.

These alternative methods of positive thinking helped me to see things and situations differently and prevented me to completely shut down and let others decide for me who don't really care about me, my concerns, fears, and hopes for the rest of my life.

by Anonymousreply 23601/08/2013

Good post, r236.

I've been there, too. Last year I came down with an acute episode of gastritis that lasted a week. It was horrible...the most pain I've ever experienced in my life.

When it wouldn't clear up right away, I basically had a panic attack. I was very scared that I'd never get well. So I started listening to a Louise Hay affirmation cd every morning, and a Kelly Howell guided meditation every night.

Of course, I did the other sensible things like take medicine, eat properly, stop coffee and alcohol, resting and finally seeing a doctor and getting tests and prescriptions. But listening to those affirmations are what gave me the strength and motivation to take care of myself and getting better.

by Anonymousreply 23701/09/2013

R236 & R237 thank you for your input!!! I see benefits in thinking positively, because then as you said you kinda start looking for better things in your life. It's like a reprogramming of your thought pattern. One thing that stocked out for me was that Abraham said, we have a right to be happy and have a good life. When you go through a lot of shit it's very easy to forget that.

by Anonymousreply 23801/09/2013

by Anonymousreply 23901/10/2013

You want to know the secret to happiness?

Exercise and eat right.

Surround yourself with supportive people.

Live in the moment.

Lower your expectations.

by Anonymousreply 24001/10/2013

In the movie "The Secret", one of the people peddling it is a fat bald guy. If the "law of attraction" works so well, why can't he attract a head of hair and a thinner body?

I rest my case.

by Anonymousreply 24101/10/2013

^Worst. Argument. Ever.

by Anonymousreply 24201/10/2013

R241... Being bald is genetic!? Maybe he doesnt give a shit? Alot of you dont understand how this whole positive thinking works.

For some reason you choose to interpret it as, I wish something and it will be granted. Not sure why you take it as such, since nobody actually said that. Its really not that complex or hard to understand.

by Anonymousreply 24301/10/2013

Where's the best place to start, r243? I'm curious.

by Anonymousreply 24401/10/2013

R242 & R243 = New Age queens who can't accept this shit doesn't work.

The Secret claims people can attract ANYTHING they want and claims people can cure their own illnesses like cancer. Surely if you can supposedly do all that then you should be able to do something as benign as regrow your hair or lose weight.

by Anonymousreply 24501/10/2013

Crock of shit. A cult built around self absorption. If you really, really, really want stuff, just WISH FOR IT really, really, really hard. It'll happen coz just you want it to! If other people don't get a break, it coz they didn't want it enough. And then it's their fault. Right Wing Nonsense. "shudder"

by Anonymousreply 24601/10/2013

R245, I'm no Secret disciple, but they do NOT claim everybody can cure illnesses by changing their thoughts. Not does Louie Hay or any other well known New Ager.

Otherwise, they'd be claiming immortality is possible just by thinking the right thoughts. Anybody who believes that is foolish, and will be just as bitter and resentful about its claims as you are.

You are projecting. You know nothing about it, so please don't pretend to be an expert on it.

It's no different from Buddhism. Detach from circumstances and suffering. Be kind to everyone. What's wrong with that?

by Anonymousreply 24701/10/2013

R245 how is regrowing your hair, Wich is genetical simple or easy? You really don't seem to understand that concept. Again it isn't a wish granting tool. R247 I don't get why people don't see it for what it is.

by Anonymousreply 24801/10/2013

Has anyone used the law of attraction to bring back a lost love? How did you go about doing this and were you successful?

by Anonymousreply 24906/03/2013

People who don't use The Secret and who don't "believe" in it, have the life they have, too. I believe what I see? The way it is really set up is "I see what I believe." We all create our own reality.

by Anonymousreply 25006/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!