Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hill Street Blues

I loved this show in the 80's. Now I'm loving it again on Hulu. Please for some gossip? Any behind the scenes couples? Was it a fun set? Any dish at all?

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 6501/07/2013

A couple posters here claimed to have hooked with Daniel J. Travanti back in the day

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 102/17/2011

Dan Travanti was gay. Quite openly. And could be difficult. They had some nickname for him on the set -- "Princess Foo-Foo" or something like that. He and Veronica Hamel hated each other. In later seasons, their characters never kissed, and it was rumored that it had to do with her AIDS fears, but it's also possible they just couldn't stand to do it. She was gorgeous, but succumbed to bad plastic surgery...

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 202/17/2011

Loved Kiel Martin in this series.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 302/18/2011

R2 - I'd heard that rumor, too. But in this interview he goes out of his way to mention that she was "beautiful on the inside". Maybe he's making nice.

As I have been re-watching the series I am noticing lots of man on man contact. An arm around the shoulders, a hand on the chest, a hand on the back... I'd heard that most of the cast was gay. I wonder if the writers wanted to evoke the homo-erotic undertones that are pervasive in predominantly male environments, or if the actors just couldn't keep their hands off od each other.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 602/22/2011

Ed Marinaro is allegedly gay.

I remember watching the show as a teen, and having a few sex dreams between he and Travanti.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 702/22/2011

I watched some ET retrospective years ago and I remember them saying that Kiel Martin was regarded by the other actors as the most talented cast member.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 902/22/2011

I was on a flight to Paris once and Ed Marinaro was on it, too. I noticed behind him in first class was a very attractive guy of around his age. The two of them never acknowledged each other during the flight. However, walking out of the terminal, they got into the same cab. It was an "aha" moment.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 1002/23/2011

I always thought it was obvious Marinaro was gay (seeing him play Joan Collins lover in the last season of Dynasty confirmed it for me), but a friend told me his friend knew Marinaro in Hollywood and Marinaro was a major pussyhound the joke was that Ed spent so much time chasing skirt that he failed to really concentrate on his career, taking anything he could grab (gigs and girls). But I think alot of closeted people do this.%0D %0D 60 year old Marinaro has signed with Days Of Our Lives.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 1102/23/2011

I wonder if it would be worth it to have a closeted relationship just to plow his meaty ass.

No, I don't.

I'd plow and plow and plow.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 1202/23/2011

Best theme EVAH.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 1302/23/2011

It really was an original show. The ensemble cast, the camera work, the inter-locking storylines that went on for more than one epiosde...I don't think there had ever been another series like that. And now it's commonplace. %0D %0D It really was a great show. But it went downhill quickly. There was the loss of Michael Conrad, who died of cancer. His Phil Esterhaus was one of the anchors of the show. And the show degenerated into a boring formula: Belker's phone calls to his mother, practically every episode ending with Davenport and Furillo fucking, just having fucked or about to fuck, ho hum. %0D %0D Later the writing got bad and the storylines more distasteful. Grace Gardner, a uncontrollably horny older woman who had been Esterhause's lover was brought back...as a nun. Yes, things got really bad.%0D %0D But I have fond memories of that show. It was one of the things from the eighties that I still like. And the understated theme song is one of the best of all time. %0D %0D

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 1402/23/2011

I read on another thread here that Veronica Hamel is supposedly gay. Any rumors about her?

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 1502/23/2011

Bump.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 1602/23/2011

This chicken is not fresh!

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 1702/23/2011

did Veronica Hamel have a total Face/Off? She looks nothing like she used to.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 1802/23/2011

I tried to watch it again but found it didn't hold up. I might be in the minority here.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 1902/23/2011

Hamel just used to be sex on a stick

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 2202/23/2011

Esterhaus was my favorite character. Joe Spano was cute till he grew that horrible mustache. Way too big for his face and looked like a caterpillar crossing his lip. I met Travanti a few months ago and he is a princess still.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 2302/23/2011

Loved a young Ken Olin as the doomed Detective Garibaldi.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 2402/23/2011

A princess in mom jeans, I might add.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 2502/23/2011

"A princess in mom jeans, I might add."%0D %0D Really? Tell us more. %0D

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 2602/25/2011

Sexiest cast ever of real-looking men!%0D %0D Dan Travanti%0D %0D Michael Conrad%0D %0D Kiel Martin%0D %0D Ed Marinaro%0D %0D Ken Olin%0D %0D Joe Spano%0D %0D Taurean Blaque%0D %0D I know I'm forgetting someone!!!!%0D %0D And Barbara Bosson (was that her name?) as Furillo's naggy ex was hilarious amd also very real.%0D %0D

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 2702/25/2011

Just watched that archival interview with Travanti. Thanks for posting r6!%0D %0D Like all those archival interviews, it is excruciatingly long-winded and unedited but it was a pleausre to see Dan as the smart and real guy he is. And he is totally complimentary towards Veronica Hamel....certainly not a trace of animosity there.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 2802/25/2011

[quote]I know I'm forgetting someone!!!!

Michael Warren, R27!

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 2902/25/2011

Who is the Trini or Trinidad who died that Travanti refers to in that interview...I'm blanking on him but it sounded like he was a Hill Street regular or semi-regular?%0D %0D Amazing how those incredibly cast ensemble shows are always filled with wonderful actors who never seem to find much subsequent work.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 3002/25/2011

David Caruso played an Irish-American gang leader. Then he blew his big break on NYPD Blue.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 3203/01/2011

The first few years were excellent, some of the best television ever. There towards the end, though, they got carried away with the handheld camera shtick and viewers (my mother, for instance) were actually getting motion sickness.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 3303/01/2011

why dont you try loving Strunk and White and learn the difference between possessives and plurals, as in 80s plural, not 80's possessive. Moron.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 3403/01/2011

Bump.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 3503/02/2011

"David Caruso played an Irish-American gang leader. Then he blew his big break on NYPD Blue."%0D %0D Andy Garcia played a Hispanic gang member on that show before he was well-known. Dennis Franz played a repulsive cop on HSB before he got famous on "NYPD Blue." If you watch the show, you'll see a lot of familiar character actors and young actors who later achieved success. %0D %0D Dominique Dunne was a 21 young actress establishing her when she did a segment of HSB. She played an abused teenager. The bruises on her face and neck were real; she was involved with an abusive boyfriend at the time. She broke off the relationship and he killed her. When the episode aired it was dedicated to her.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 3603/04/2011

Charles Fleischer, the comedian who voiced Roger Rabbit, had a guest shot as a goofy criminal who fixed their phone system. HSB was the first place I ever saw Mimi Rogers, Jennifer Tilly or Lynn Whitfield.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 3703/04/2011

I get the idea that a lot of the people in the cast were gay: isn't James B. Sikking (aka Doogie Howser's dad)? And the guy who played Ray (Rene Enriquez), who has since passed away has been identified posthumously as gay; Taurean Blaque was one of the first "single black men" to adopt children.%0D %0D Some of the others, I note, had early marriages, divorced and never married again.%0D %0D

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 3803/04/2011

Veronica again

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 3903/30/2012

Barbara Babcock was doing both Dallas and Hill Street Blues at the same time.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 4003/30/2012

***AHEM***

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 4103/31/2012

Be careful out there.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 4203/31/2012

It's "Hey, let's be careful out there"

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 4303/31/2012

[quote]David Caruso played an Irish-American gang leader. Then he blew his big break on NYPD Blue.

That's my favorite part of the show. They bent over backwards to show it wasn't a race thing, so they had that bizarre "Irish street gang" that was so cartoonish that you expected Caruso to start complaining that someone stole his Lucky Charms. Made West Side Story look like a fucking documentary, but thankfully they let it drop after just a few episodes.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 4403/31/2012

This was such an amazing show. The pilot had a good reveal with Furillo and Davenport in bed at the end.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 4506/24/2012

You're welcome.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 4606/24/2012

David Schwimmer was called 4B.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 4706/26/2012

Daniel J. Travanti was hot (and surprisingly muscular) when he was young. This is pic of him in Lost in Space episode (1967). You may catch it on ME TV. He was showing off a buffed-out bod and gets into a wrestling match with Don (Mark Goddard) -- hot!

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 4801/05/2013

Will they ever release season 3 on DVD?

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 4901/05/2013

Travanti was even hot and muscular in the 80s. He played John Walsh in the TV movie "Adam", and was very hot in that (and gave one hell of a performance. In the scene where they find out that Adam is dead, Daniel does some first class acting).

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 5001/05/2013

Michael Warren was by far the hottest member of the cast, without a doubt. That smile and those dimples made hearts melt and hard-ons rage.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 5101/05/2013

"Travanti was even hot and muscular in the 80s"

He had a gym body well into middle age (proof that he's gay!)

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 5201/05/2013

Warren is scorching hot today. I would so do him.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 5301/05/2013

Travanti's range was as limited in HSB as it was in Who Killed Teddy Bear.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 5401/05/2013

Travanti in a speedo.

HOT body. Was he an athlete?

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 5501/05/2013

Michael Warren's daughter-in-law is Jessica Alba, married to his son Cash.

I would so love to go down on Dan Travanti- even at his advanced age!

Trinidad Silva was the late actor who played the gang member:

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 5601/05/2013

I remember that photo! BTW, he admitted that he usually went NUDE around the house!!! What a stallion! His longtime partner is very lucky.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 5701/05/2013

[quote]Travanti's range was as limited in HSB as it was in Who Killed Teddy Bear.

He's actually excellent. Watch this video from the 38 minute mark until 40:36. Heartbreaking and powerful stuff.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 5801/05/2013

"HOT body. Was he an athlete?"

He was top ranked football player in high school who was offered college football scholarships but turned them down to study drama (Mary!). I remember him saying in interviews that he was a fanatic about working out.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 5901/05/2013

Jennifer Tilly appeared on several episodes as slutty, wee-voiced Gina Srignoli, the wife of mobster Paul "The Wall" Srignoli. After he died, she finally got her hands on his loot. At first it looked like she was going to hook up with Harry, but after Henry saves her from harm during some kind of sting operation or something she throws her big-titted body at him and before you know it they're madly in "love ("is that what they're calling it these days?", a jealous Faye tells Henry)." She showers Henry with expensive gifts and they flaunt their relationship for all the station house to see, understandably pissing off Harry. Harry starts dating Faye (Faye was once involved with Henry) and rubs it in Henry's face; Henry roughs up Harry and says that if he hurts Faye he'll "kill him." Finally they all make amends and have dinner together. After Faye and Gina come back from the ladie's room, a mob assassin jostles their table to distract them, pulls out a pistol and shoots Gina point blank in the belly, killing her. I was SO glad when that happened! Gina Srignoli was one of the most annoying characters ever on HSB, and that's really saying something.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 6001/05/2013

Joe Spano was far & away the best actor of the bunch.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 6101/06/2013

I adored this show. I was pretty young when it was on, but distincly remember having stirrings for both Furillo and Davenport. Joyce Davenport is one of the greatest ever female tv characters, and certainly one of the sexiest.

I also really fancied Micheal Warren.

It was just a great show with amazing and memorable characters.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 6201/06/2013

Uh, R47, Schwimmer was on NYPD Blue as 4B.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 6301/06/2013

WEHT Taurean Blacque?

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 6401/06/2013

Blacque adopted a bunch of disadvantaged kids as a single father.

by Let''s Be Careful Out Therereply 6501/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.