Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How to Kill your Emotions

All my life I've been overly sensitive. I've always admired people who seem to feel nothing. Is there anyway I can train myself to feel little or even nothing? It would make my day to day life so much easier. if not are there any drugs you can recommend to numb me?

by Anonymousreply 15109/05/2014

Any opiate, probably any painkiller.%0D %0D SSRIs and maybe other types of antidepressants.%0D %0D Also, experience helps.

by Anonymousreply 202/13/2011

Not being self-focused helps. Have you tried thinking about other people?

by Anonymousreply 602/13/2011

I'm very sensitive and I don't want to kill my emotions, I want them to come out. I can't express them.

by Anonymousreply 802/13/2011

[quote]Not being self-focused helps. Have you tried thinking about other people?

No.

by Anonymousreply 902/13/2011

[quote] I've always admired people who seem to feel nothing.

My sister is one of those people who seem to feel nothing for others. If I or someone else is hurt by something she will always have the reaction, "Well, what about me. I feel..."

Still she thinks she's a great listener.

But the thing that kills me is everybody LOVES her.

I've always wondered the same thing R4.

by Anonymousreply 1002/13/2011

I think anger is underrated. It can be great fuel if you channel it into ambition. I think niceness and forgiveness are overrated. Civility and composure are where it's at.

by Anonymousreply 1102/13/2011

OP, why would you respect cold people? They're shallow.

by Anonymousreply 1202/13/2011

OP one of the other posters here had it right believe it or not - show me a sensitive person and I'll show you a self focused individual who is so easy to hurt because they make everything about themselves - most likely your not selfish or self absorbed, just focused. I was you - I got into therapy thinking it would bring to light why I keep choosing friends and lovers to hurt and disappoint me, when in fact it wasn't them, it was me. Two books that I hope you can still get made a difference for me - The Dance of Anger and the Dance of Intimacy -

by Anonymousreply 1302/13/2011

OP, I think most gay people, male and female tend to be overly sensitive. It's because of what we had to go through to become self aware enough to know who we are. That said, there are some things that have helped me to not be so sensitive. One is to train yourself to recognize that not everything is a reflection of you. By that I don't mean you are selfish or narcissistic but that I think we tend to over empathize with others. It helps if someone is being a bully or is saying something hurtful to not take it personally. I know that's hard to do, but the truth is we don't know what is in anyone else's head or why they are reacting the way they are. Everyone has their own little dramas going on in their heads and it may not have anything at all to do with you.

If you can learn to not take anything personally anymore, even when it seems to be pointedly about you, you will not suffer as much. You need to not listen so much to that little voice in your head that is telling you it's hurt or it's being attacked. Take a moment to just break up those thoughts and you will see how much we hurt ourselves by writing the story that is nothing near the real story.

by Anonymousreply 1402/13/2011

Hide your feelings by LASHING OUT at others!

by Anonymousreply 1502/13/2011

Anger, sadness, and any other 'negative' emotions are perfectly healthy so long as you learn to transmute them. Repressing won't do you any good.

by Anonymousreply 1602/13/2011

"only an entity, something illusory"%0D %0D Ah, more proof that Bret Easton Ellis was a poor writer...

by Anonymousreply 1702/13/2011

Klonpin does a good job of it for me.

by Anonymousreply 1802/13/2011

If only there were something between too much and nothing.

by Anonymousreply 1902/13/2011

R16, the problem is that I can't transmute them, I ruminate on them and they eat away at me every day.

by Anonymousreply 2002/13/2011

Ativan, r19.

by Anonymousreply 2102/13/2011

Pantera, Benadryl and Ayn Rand books.

by Anonymousreply 2202/13/2011

Big study showed that people can rewire their nerves to prevent things like PTSD and overblown emotions.

The magic pill hasn't got a lot of attention because it's so old it's generic available, plus it's good for your heart and blood pressure.

Inderal/Propranolol

by Anonymousreply 2302/13/2011

I feel very little for humans, but intensely for animals. Makes it easy to deal with daily life among people because I really don't care deeply about them. But that doesn't mean I have no emotions, I fall to pieces around all the other critters.

by Anonymousreply 2402/13/2011

r23, does Inderal/Propranolol wear well with vodka?

by Anonymousreply 2502/13/2011

My ex boyfriend can't express emotions. Even when he heard about the death of an old family friend he was stoic.

by Anonymousreply 2602/13/2011

R24, hopefully a rhinoceros will eat you.

by Anonymousreply 2702/13/2011

I don't understand the question.

Sorry, bitches.

by Anonymousreply 2802/13/2011

People who care for animals over humans are emotionally immature.

by Anonymousreply 2902/13/2011

I hope r24 is single.

by Anonymousreply 3002/13/2011

OP. SSRIs. That is all.

by Anonymousreply 3102/13/2011

What Would Spock Do?

by Anonymousreply 3202/13/2011

There are a lot of people like R24, and I'm okay with that.

by Anonymousreply 3302/13/2011

R33=Donkey Kong.

by Anonymousreply 3402/13/2011

Animals are helpless and voiceless, People aren't usually totally helpless.

by Anonymousreply 3502/13/2011

My very first day of vet school my professor blasted people like r24.

by Anonymousreply 3602/13/2011

R27, the rhinoceros is an herbivore (i.e., a vegetarian).

by Anonymousreply 3702/13/2011

An SSRI. Celexa made me not care about much. Grandma died? Pffft. You lost your job? That's too bad, but this coffee tastes really good. I have cancer? Oh, dear.

That was pretty much how Celexa made me feel. Minus the cancer. I didn't have that.

by Anonymousreply 3802/13/2011

Is a bear helpless and voiceless? Is a pitbull? Most animals would just as soon rip your throat out. %0D %0D Animal lovers are looking for unconditional love that they can't get from humans. There is no such thing as unconditional love, but they are too immature to realize that.

by Anonymousreply 3902/13/2011

Doesn't matter, R37. I still want one to get R24.

by Anonymousreply 4002/13/2011

How to kill your emotions? Become an observer in your head, make mental notes as if all internal/external input/output were an extensive scientific experiment.

by Anonymousreply 4102/13/2011

Thank you r41.

by Anonymousreply 4202/13/2011

That could be true, R29 -- my mother resented her kids, so not much early bonding.

I am single, R30 -- didn't used to be, but so much happier now.

I've dealt with a lot of vets, R36, & am grateful for those who can be compassionate toward people when we need it.

by Anonymousreply 4402/13/2011

[quote]Is a bear helpless and voiceless? Is a pitbull?%0D %0D %0D Against humans, they are. Guns and trackers and nightvision goggles for bears and Micheal Vick and his cohorts for pitbulls.%0D %0D %0D And the only bears I know who can talk are Yogi and Smokey.

by Anonymousreply 4502/13/2011

R43 is about as insane as they come.

by Anonymousreply 4602/13/2011

R45 has never been attacked by a powerful animal. Hope you never are, buddy.

by Anonymousreply 4802/13/2011

Wow, R43 makes that nutjob at R24 seem sane by comparison.

by Anonymousreply 4902/13/2011

So I see r43 is a waste of skin.

by Anonymousreply 5002/13/2011

Homophobe and misogynist. Keep reaching for the stars r43/r47.

by Anonymousreply 5102/13/2011

r43, it's not a choice.

Oh, and you're a fucking prick. Go away.

by Anonymousreply 5202/13/2011

For some reason, romance and intimacy seems less sexual to women in general, which makes it seem less overtly gay if they're straight and decide they want to try out women for bonding needs.

by Anonymousreply 5302/13/2011

Do women ever get sick and tired of being told they don't like sex? I know I do.

by Anonymousreply 5402/13/2011

No you do fuck off R45. I'll make any assessments I want to. I'm sure if animals could talk they'd tell you to fuck off also.

by Anonymousreply 5502/13/2011

Why is r43 here?

by Anonymousreply 5602/13/2011

Thorazine.

by Anonymousreply 5702/13/2011

Anyone who equates gay sex with a sense of entitlement is a raging closet case.

by Anonymousreply 5802/13/2011

So, is the CAPS troll also the Women Really Hate Sex troll?

by Anonymousreply 5902/13/2011

Is this another one of those drama queen threads?

by Anonymousreply 6002/13/2011

Watch sports, eat BBQ, say "bro," marry a woman.

by Anonymousreply 6102/13/2011

Well who doesn't enjoy barbecue?

by Anonymousreply 6202/13/2011

God, all these "up with humans, not animals" people are such defensive assholes. Animals are cool, humans are fine. Jesus. You're old guys in the sticks, right?

by Anonymousreply 6302/13/2011

WARNING...WARNING!!!!angry closet case @R43 &R47

by Anonymousreply 6502/13/2011

r64, your ego is unfucking real. Get your shit together.

by Anonymousreply 6602/13/2011

Troll.

by Anonymousreply 6702/13/2011

I wonder what Ben Affleck is doing right now.

by Anonymousreply 6802/13/2011

lol r64 makes no sense. Anyway...

by Anonymousreply 6902/14/2011

[quote]Keep whining, but I'm right. I laugh at your insults, faggots. Remember how you say if people hate you, there's probably a VERY good reason? The reason? Closeted gays hitting on straights.

&

[quote]Gays are the pricks. They prey on straight men by PRETNEDING to be something they never will be: MEN!

OH now I get it,you're threatened by gay men who have sex with "straight" men.

by Anonymousreply 7002/14/2011

Don't some gay men tend toward being a histrionic personality?%0D %0D histrionic personality disorder

by Anonymousreply 7102/14/2011

Is Miss Helen Bedd turning up on this thread in a sicko anti-gay disguise?

by Anonymousreply 7202/14/2011

This Gay does not prey on straight dudes- and if I could I'd put Gwenny's fierce shoe between your eyes, Little Dick.

Crawl back under your rock, you poor excuse for a man.

You are an intolerant, abusive, sick shell of humanity. I pity you.

Good night, Little Dick. No one wants you.

by Anonymousreply 7302/14/2011

He's a straight man who's furious to wake up and find some gay men have stolen the remote control for his prick.

by Anonymousreply 7402/14/2011

R43,R47 & R64=Matt Hissey

by Anonymousreply 7502/14/2011

Obvious troll is obvious. Ignore.

by Anonymousreply 7602/14/2011

unrequited love pretty much killed most of my emotions.

by Anonymousreply 7702/14/2011

r64 = an angry frau who lost her man to a fag.

by Anonymousreply 7802/14/2011

bump

by Anonymousreply 7902/14/2011

Cocaine. You'll hate everyone, including yourself.

by Anonymousreply 8002/14/2011

I prey on straight dudes. They are so immature they have never even considered another way of life, they have no reasons for anything they do. Just dumb animals (see R43, R47). But they always love gay sex better. ALWAYS. With no exceptions!

by Anonymousreply 8102/14/2011

there are plenty of drugs to take the edge off, OP. A great percentage of the population is on them. No one can recommend one for you as no one knows which one will work for you - or for how long. You need to see a dr., and even then it's a hit or miss situation. But it can be well worth it.

And I am speaking from experience.

by Anonymousreply 8202/14/2011

Is the troll the same guy posing as an author on another thread yesterday, the guy who said he wrote a book explaining that straight guys who hang out with other guys are always either closeted or clueless?

No, I don't remember the thread. All I know is that obvious troll sounds just like that author.

by Anonymousreply 8302/14/2011

r43, is anything a choice?

A great many of the world's scientists don't believe in free will for anything, let alone who one wants to have sex with.

by Anonymousreply 8402/14/2011

r25, it does for me.

by Anonymousreply 8502/14/2011

I guess it makes sense that a thread called "How to Kill your Emotions" would attract a complete fucking lunatic.

by Anonymousreply 8602/14/2011

OP - Are you talking about feeling ALL emotions intensely or just the negative ones?

If you're an intense person, so be it. Enjoy the laughter, excitement and joy. I'd love to feel those positive emotions as intensely as I did when I was a child.

If only the negative emotions are strong then you need to do something about it. If you don't want to go the drug route try some "mindfulness", stop thinking about you and just tune in to the world around you. Think for a moment about where you are RIGHT NOW, what do you see, hear, smell and taste. Enjoy the moment, your life is made up of thousand upon thousands of these moments and every one is potentially joyous.

by Anonymousreply 8702/14/2011

More than just one, r86.

by Anonymousreply 8802/14/2011

My bf is really emotional, r87's description made me think of him. I think his life would be very hard if he didn't have people who are crazy about him and are always there for him. If he was single and wasn't so close with his parents, he'd probably be a junkie or something to dull it all.

by Anonymousreply 8902/14/2011

Translation: OP is a raging Drama Queen

by Anonymousreply 9002/14/2011

Bump.

by Anonymousreply 9102/21/2011

more

by Anonymousreply 9202/21/2011

by Anonymousreply 9302/22/2011

OP, perhaps you would be a good boyfriend for the OP who wrote the thread about how much he hates criers and overly sensitive people.

by Anonymousreply 9402/22/2011

I don't know if I am just super emotional, deep, and expressive, or if I am depressed and over-analytical. I feel crazy lately. Been through a lot of job and relationship stress. Trying to figure out if I want to stay in the city I live in. I can't seem to make crucial decision. I cry a LOT. I wallow in indecision because either choice will hurt someone I love. I think of things in the past and become instantly emotional about them, as if I have many unresolved issues.. Ahhh! If I could kill my many, overlapping emotions I would take that pill right about now.

by Anonymousreply 9502/22/2011

R95, I also dwell on the past a lot. It seems as if my emotions are almost exclusively tied up with the past, and I feel little for anything that has happened in the years after a certain time period. I have a ton of unresolved issues.

by Anonymousreply 9602/22/2011

R95: Wherever you are, you have found yourself there.

by Anonymousreply 9702/22/2011

Some of these things can be exacerbated by depression, R95 & R96, so it might be good to get that checked out too, as a possible cause.

by Anonymousreply 9802/22/2011

OP, instead of SSRI's you could take 200 mg of L-Theanine which you can get at health food stores.

Helps with anxiety. Take it about 30 minutes before bed.

by Anonymousreply 9902/22/2011

True, R98. And I definitely have a prolonged depression and many anxieties and painful emotions that are eating away at me. I feel completely trapped.

by Anonymousreply 10002/22/2011

You might want to go to your doctor and see if you qualify for a diagnosis of depression and maybe consider anti-depressants.

by Anonymousreply 10102/22/2011

All of you who can't move forward and make important decisions need therapy. The ones spending valuable time on their knees are wasting away. You will be the first to be left behind in the game of life.

You can't move forward until you make peace with your past. Resolve your issues. You are avoiding your life. Your spinning in the same circle and not making progress with anything. Sorry, but it's true. You're your own worst enemy.

by Anonymousreply 10202/22/2011

How do we disarm that enemy, R102?

by Anonymousreply 10302/22/2011

R103, I think some of you that have posted here genuinely can disarm the enemy within. Enemy of your thoughts or things that haunt you in your past. I would suggest therapy, or if you have the funds, a really great mentor who can help guide you in the right direction. It's not an easy task, it's hard. But with enough determination you can do it.

I also think there are some of you that don't really want to take the initiative to help yourselves. Sure, it's all fine to vent and talk about wanting a change, but that's a far cry from attempting to achieve it. I won't point anyone out here, but some people will have, and will always have the same issues. They won't change, because they are either avoidant, terrified of REAL change or a real challenge, or plain lazy and want an ideal version of their life handed to them on a silver platter. They will always hold themselves back.

Because it's easier to talk about it, vent about it on a thread time and time again, year after year, then to actually make the effort, move forward, and accomplish something.

by Anonymousreply 10402/22/2011

[quote][R95], I also dwell on the past a lot. It seems as if my emotions are almost exclusively tied up with the past, and I feel little for anything that has happened in the years after a certain time period. I have a ton of unresolved issues.

That's my situation and I HAVE been in therapy for two years. It's hard. Right now I'm 'reliving' the most painful experience of my life through therapy just to get a healthier perspective on what happened. There's nothing I would like more than to stop torturing myself.

by Anonymousreply 10502/22/2011

R105, it is hard. But you've taken a really courageous step in going to therapy. You are doing yourself a huge service. You want things to change and you're active about it. So stop torturing yourself over it.

by Anonymousreply 10602/22/2011

Thanks, R106. I appreciate your words.

Interestingly, one thing I learned in therapy is that one can still hide the deepest fears and pains in front of the therapist. I know I did that. I couldn't go to the most vulnerable place for a long time. Except, I wasn't fooling the therapist I was fooling myself. It's time to really do the work.

by Anonymousreply 10702/22/2011

Do any of you have a problem talking about your deepest issues because they make you feel extremely embarrassed and ashamed? As if you feel like even the therapist will think "Wow, I've heard a lot of things, but how did this person let themselves become such a big loser? And over stupid, nonsensical things like the ones he talked about?"

I just feel humiliated talking about a lot of my issues. It it seems to keep me from reaching out. I also am used to feeling extremely misunderstood and misjudged when I try to explain things.

by Anonymousreply 10802/22/2011

I like you R107. You're not a weakling.

by Anonymousreply 10902/23/2011

R99, I'm going to try that. Anyway...

Nothing horrible (like abuse, violence) has happened in my past, yet I can't seem to make decisions. I'm a lesbian in my 30's. I do have a lot of unresolved issues and if asked, I would say I am unhappy. Would love to flip a switch and be carefree and happy. I have acted selfishly and made mistakes. I wish somebody or something would come into my life, and make decisions for me, tell me to go one way or another, and then I can finally move on. I used to be stronger and able to overcome anything, until I recently started dealing with major job, relationship stress. Some days I feel like I go through the day a zombie, just going through the motions.

by Anonymousreply 11002/23/2011

[quote]I wish somebody or something would come into my life, and make decisions for me, tell me to go one way or another, and then I can finally move on.

I know what you mean. I wish that someone would save me from my problems. Pull me out of them, reassure me that it's going to be all right, and give me some direction. But nobody wants to hang around a shy person with issues.

by Anonymousreply 11102/23/2011

bump

by Anonymousreply 11202/23/2011

R102, you are probably right about a lot of things. I just don't like the idea at my age (30's) of having to still talk about and deal with issues from my childhood and teen years. I wish I could bury it and not talk about it.

It just seems exhausting to have to confront all that with a therapist.

by Anonymousreply 11302/23/2011

[quote]It just seems exhausting to have to confront all that with a therapist.

Agreed.

by Anonymousreply 11402/23/2011

Feelings are just like treaures ... SO BURY THEM!

by Anonymousreply 11502/23/2011

Does health insurance pay for therapy?

by Anonymousreply 11602/23/2011

Mine does, up to 40 sessions per calendar year.

by Anonymousreply 11702/23/2011

Can your insurance company come up and cancel you if you start seeing a therapist? That's my main concern.

by Anonymousreply 11802/23/2011

No 118.

by Anonymousreply 11902/23/2011

Live with a crazy person who says "Help Me" over and over for hours at a time. Cures you of feelings like nothing I've ever seen.%0D

by Anonymousreply 12002/23/2011

cats

by Anonymousreply 12102/23/2011

Could you translate that into English please, R120?

by Anonymousreply 12202/24/2011

R113, I agree with you there. I don't have any childhood/teen issues or the like, so I didn't feel the need to look into that method. But I do believe it's necessary for some.

I've never had anything that would be considered 'horrible" happen to me in my past. I would have to say, I've lived a good life. So for me, I opted to focus purely on the present and future - without the need to regurgitate my past in therapy. My past, is completely irrelevant to my life today. I don't think about it, nor do I have the desire to discuss it. Thinking about it is a tactic to avoid what's important - life in the now. So my method was not traditional. I tackle things that are relevant to my live today.

R122, I'll take a guess at R120. Are you referring to the similarity in the boy who cried wolf? When people keep cycling the "help me I have issues" to those around them, it becomes like hearing a broken record. At first you run to help and listen, when you hear it again, you still listen, but after you hear "help me" a few more times, you lose complete interest and no longer care about the person crying out "help me" - It's definitely selfish to keep complaining to people around you about your issues or problems when, fundamentally, you have no desire to fix them yourself. The people around you know this, and sooner or later discard your cries for help. They really don't care anymore.

by Anonymousreply 12302/24/2011

R113, I should add: I did make peace with my past, but there wasn't anything horrible to overcome. So once I did, I put it aside and my focus turned solely on my present and future. I think for some, when you do have huge issues in your past therapy is probably the best solution to overcoming it. But once you overcome them I do think it's important to put it all to the side, and not to dwell.

I know there are many SSRI believers - I don't have experience in SSRI's so I couldn't offer an opinion or share an experience on something like that. But if it helps people, than why not explore it?

by Anonymousreply 12402/24/2011

Do we think that the troll at R43/R47/R64 is gay or straight? That deserves it's own polling thread.

My vote is straight.

by Anonymousreply 12502/24/2011

My vote is severe closet case in denial, R125.

by Anonymousreply 12602/24/2011

[quote][R113], I should add: I did make peace with my past, but there wasn't anything horrible to overcome.

Damn, I was with you until you wrote this. That's like being thin and telling fat people how it is not that hard to maintain healthy weight.

by Anonymousreply 12702/24/2011

I've never taken Pantera--how does it feel?

by Anonymousreply 12802/24/2011

Sorry R127. That's my truth. I think anything I personally considered "bad" that lurked in my past wouldn't be considered "bad or horrible" to the masses, you know? Not that it didn't effect me, because it did, but people go through a lot more, and I've been lucky to have a good life.

But I have to say, your post at R107. I admire you. I have a lot of admiration toward those who face their fears and do something about overcoming them. You're very strong. That's a pretty great trait to have.

by Anonymousreply 12902/24/2011

Thanks, R113. I hope I wasn't too harsh in my previous post. And even if I was, your answer was definitely elegant (and totally atypical for DL!).

by Anonymousreply 13002/24/2011

Not at all harsh, R130.

I accidently signed as R113, I'm actually R102.

But to go on your theme from that post: There is always a lot more when you scratch the surface.

If you knew me, purely on a surface level, you would probably roll your eyes if I were to give advice on weight loss to someone obese. I'm a size 4, female, and pretty fit. It just wouldn't seem right, on the surface, for me to offer advice to someone who is clearly suffering with their weight.

But if you knew more about me, you would know that I was obese throughout my childhood and early teens. I did formulate a plan, fit for me, and lost close to 80 pounds when I was 14. I've kept that off 20 years. So even though that was 20 years ago, I still have that experience, and would probably offer advice or effect ways to keep trim.

Anyway, that was just an analogy.

I don't think people, in general, have the instinct to offer there opinions on issues unless they have some sort of direct experience on the issue. Whether that experience is outwardly noticeable to others or not, doesn't dismiss the experience, or one similar.

by Anonymousreply 13102/24/2011

Sounds a bit harsh, R123.

by Anonymousreply 13202/24/2011

by Anonymousreply 13302/24/2011

bump

by Anonymousreply 13402/26/2011

bump

by Anonymousreply 13503/04/2011

by Anonymousreply 13603/10/2011

bump

by Anonymousreply 13703/11/2011

wallowing in tits

by Anonymousreply 13803/11/2011

A lobotomy usually works. That, or electro shock therapy

by Anonymousreply 13903/13/2011

Be happy you have any emotions without them you'd be dead. Celebrate what you have don't wollow in doubt and pity. Your life is in your own hands.

by Anonymousreply 14003/13/2011

I learned to do this along time ago. I wish I hadn't. But for those wanting: "I don't care". Implement that every time you get emotional. That's it. Discretion is advised.

by Anonymousreply 14112/08/2011

Well the only cure for I know for killing emotions would be a .357 magnum round to the temple... well any place as long as the bullet travels through the brain.

by Anonymousreply 14203/18/2012

Damn.

by Anonymousreply 14303/18/2012

Zoloft does kill a lot of it

by Anonymousreply 14402/11/2013

Become a death hag. It helps. Watch this

by Anonymousreply 14502/11/2013

Anorexia

by Anonymousreply 14602/11/2013

Take Tylenol daily. Scientists have discovered that it improves any kind of emotional pain, from loneliness to humiliation. Here's info on that at the URL below:

by Anonymousreply 14702/11/2013

Here is an even better article on that:

by Anonymousreply 14802/11/2013

hmm.... for me, it's easier. cause I didn't even feel sad or happy or feeling the love by someone I don't know why but I'm HAPPY that I don't have any feelings about the others, I think... cause they don't mean anything to me, I just keep ignoring them... So.. I think that you should think of yourself only, no one else, nobody, just live for yourself and you'll be fine

by Anonymousreply 14909/05/2014

Anything from a health food store is garbage and a waste of $.

by Anonymousreply 15009/05/2014

Go spend a couple of weeks hiking in Syria.

by Anonymousreply 15109/05/2014
Need more help? Click Here.