Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Carol Channing contemplated suicide

After learning that Barbra was cast in Hello Dolly.%0D %0D -----------------------------------------------%0D %0D Carol Channing considered throwing herself out of a window after learning Barbra Streisand had won the title role in the 1969 movie, "Hello, Dolly!" after Channing had played Dolly Levi on stage. The legend, who celebrates her 90th birthday Monday, told LGBT networking site "I was looking out the window on the 18th floor of the Queen Elizabeth Hotel [in Toronto] . . . I thought, just one more move . . . and this terrible pain will stop, this pain of losing it for all time, they're all forgotten performances, it will stop, the moment that I hit, hit jumping out the window. That's exactly what I wanted to do." But when asked what stopped her from doing it, she replied, "I had a show that night to do, a matinee, as a matter of fact, that day. So I had to get ready for it." Channing on Streisand after she saw her in the movie: "It's not just, you know, singing, that's the last thing that Dolly is. She is a great, great star. Each of us has a different interpretation of playing the same character."%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 7509/25/2013

Yet another person made to contemplate suicide because of Barbra.

by Anonymousreply 102/12/2011

[quote]Carol Channing considered throwing herself out of a window after learning Barbra Streisand had won the title role in the 1969 movie, "Hello, Dolly!"

I can't imagine she felt any better about it after seeing Babs in the role.

by Anonymousreply 202/12/2011

Then she thought of all the corn cobs, cornbread, corn muffins and pop corn she would miss

by Anonymousreply 302/12/2011

by Anonymousreply 402/12/2011

by Anonymousreply 502/12/2011

Has she ever been asked about that corn story? How can that be?

by Anonymousreply 602/12/2011

There is no Queen Elizabeth Hotel in Toronto, although there is one in Montreal.

by Anonymousreply 702/12/2011

Poop corn.

by Anonymousreply 802/12/2011

Channing has never admitted publicly(as far as I know) that the original Broadway "Hello, Dolly" was offered to three or four other stars before they called her.%0D %0D But we are supposed to believe that she was going to jump out a window when Streisand got the film role. I don't think so.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 902/12/2011

Meh. Channing beat Streisand out for the Tony Award as Best Actress in a Musical, when they were nominated for HELLO, DOLLY and FUNNY GIRL, respectively. You win some, you lose some

by Anonymousreply 1002/12/2011

Was she going to eat a Costco size can of corn?

by Anonymousreply 1102/12/2011

Think of how much she achieved after that time that we almost missed! She played... well, uh, there's... well she did "Dolly" again a bunch of more times... and, uh, there was "Lorelei"... and a lot of Larry King shows...

by Anonymousreply 1202/12/2011

"Think of how much she achieved after that time that we almost missed!"

Well, there is "Hello, Bank Robber!" with the classic line, "I've been robbed!", and her saying "Housh."

by Anonymousreply 1302/12/2011

I know she's a straight woman, but...

by Anonymousreply 1402/12/2011

by Anonymousreply 1502/12/2011

Well, it IS her life's work. That might explain why she is always so wide-eyed and over-the-top/animated, like someone who's humiliated but trying to act all blase' about it.%0D %0D Kinda sad. The movie turned out to be a disappointment, as was Channing's "screen test" in "Thoroughly Modern Millie", which showed her to be not so photogenic.

by Anonymousreply 1602/12/2011

[quote]Carol Channing contemplated suicide After learning that Barbra was cast in Hello Dolly.

Well, didn't we all!

by Anonymousreply 1702/12/2011

Bread and buttah!

by Anonymousreply 1802/12/2011

It's in a snit.

by Anonymousreply 1902/12/2011

r16, yes her MILLIE screen test was so disappointing she got an Oscar nomination.

r9, she's talked about how they wanted Nanny Fabray as Dolly before she came aboard, and she's always left it at "she would have made a very different kind of Dolly."

by Anonymousreply 2002/12/2011

I find it hard to believe that so many find her a legend or endearing in any way. She's always struck me as a one-note hack.

by Anonymousreply 2102/12/2011

[quote]I find it hard to believe that so many find her a legend or endearing in any way. She's always struck me as a one-note hack.%0D %0D Well;...They simply adore her in the regions!

by Anonymousreply 2202/12/2011

I recall seeing that show on Television when i kid, R18. I recall the final song being so. . . .beautiful!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2302/12/2011

Michael Bennett was not a fan and relevant to this thread, said that the few chances she got onscreen were delivered the same way she acted onstage: She played to the balcony. He said it was no wonder she was passed over for Dolly.

by Anonymousreply 2402/12/2011

You had to see her to appreciate how charming she was on stage.%0D %0D TV and movie screens don't do her justice.

by Anonymousreply 2502/12/2011

Channing is the closest thing to a female female-impersonaltor.

by Anonymousreply 2602/12/2011

When people call Carol Channing the first lady of the musical theater, she is quick to say that's only because the true first ladies (Martin & Merman) are too long around. So you can be geacious and truthful.

by Anonymousreply 2702/12/2011

In related news, scientists at the USDA announced today that corn is a natural depressant. "There is a significant correlation between people who eat corn and suicide risk," states the report.

by Anonymousreply 2802/12/2011

That's not very gracious to call Merman and Martin too long around. Is that anything like being not too far between?

by Anonymousreply 2902/12/2011

their caftans are too long around.

by Anonymousreply 3002/12/2011

Is R27 Mlop?

by Anonymousreply 3102/12/2011

Is it asking to much that Pati LuPone has the same reaction to the news that Barbra is playing Mama Rose in that "Gypsy" remake. . and that, unlike Channing, she goes through with it successfully?

by Anonymousreply 3202/12/2011

Barbra Streisand makes the film

by Anonymousreply 3302/12/2011

But she doesn't have anything against Monroe . . .%0D %0D Never understood that.

by Anonymousreply 3402/13/2011

Who was she being interviewed by when asked about her gay fans and she replied "well, you know what the bible says about those kind of people" - ? That really bothered me - what a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 3502/13/2011

R14 wins, thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 3602/13/2011

[quote]Channing is the closest thing to a female female-impersonator.

As she ages, it's easier to see that she is also "Hi Yellow."

by Anonymousreply 3702/13/2011

Well, R25, here's Channing's response to that interview.

It's funny how that questionable quote, from a small-time writer who seems to have had his own agenda, has gotten around and smeared a lifetime of Channing's being a great friend and supporter of the gay community.

I don't think it's true--that author wanted to write something scandalous, or to get a bunch of hits on his article. With the ensuing controversy, believe me, if he'd recorded the interview (as most journalists do) that tape would have found its way to YouTube or somewhere.

Channing says she actually said, "You know what the Bible says about that? NOTHING!" which sounds just like her.

Somehow, these people who think she doesn't like the gays have missed the articles where she does a benefit for an AIDS hospice (Maitri in San Francisco), or where Jerry Herman, Lee Roy Reams, her publicist, any of the retinue of gay men who have always been around her rave about how wonderful she's been to them and is like family.

This past year she did GYPSY OF THE YEAR, a benefit for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS. Do you know other 90 year olds who do AIDS benefits?

Given her generation, the number of gay charities she's supported through uncompensated benefit performances over the past three decades, and her personal kindness to me (yes, I'm one of those who is obviously gay) I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.

by Anonymousreply 3802/13/2011

I love R32.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3902/13/2011

R38 Thank you. %0D %0D Like her or not, Miss Channing is on our side. Not many 80 something year old women (at the time) would show up and volunteer to be the hostess for the WeHo Gay Pride festival.

by Anonymousreply 4006/02/2011

She should have done it....would have saved us the pain of seeing that awful revival she did in the 90's .... besides, she could never have held that last note in Parade Passes By.....what is it like 30 seconds?...and they wanted a white woman for the part

by Anonymousreply 4306/02/2011

I know exactly how she felt. I once thought of jumping out the second story window of a Holiday Inn in Columbus.

by Anonymousreply 4406/02/2011

If she contemplated suicide after learning Babs was cast, how the fuck did she feel after she saw the movie?

by Anonymousreply 4606/02/2011

"I know she's a straight woman, but..."%0D %0D LOL!

by Anonymousreply 4706/02/2011

Scorn? How can I eat scorn?

by Anonymousreply 4806/02/2011

Barbra was the movie! I saw Carol in the stage version, and she was fabulous. But Streisand was great on film.

by Anonymousreply 4906/02/2011

We are sorry Miss Channing but apparently the parade has indeed passed you by.

by Anonymousreply 5006/02/2011

I've played Lorelei and I've done Modern Millie, But Dolly is a girl's best friend! I've done several flops, but you can't call me bitter! Though my whole career is messy as my lipstick smear... Roles are few and far between, And talk shows I don't recommend! But why should I grieve? I can play Dolly Levi! Dolly is a girl's best friend. So, who needs Sondheim? Dolly is a girl's best friend!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 5106/02/2011

^ LOL, but I thought it started, "I've been on [italic]The Love Boat[/italic] and sold kitty litter ..."

by Anonymousreply 5206/02/2011

Oh, I douche and douche for hours Till my asshole smells like flowers And my rectum's stretched and worn But I try to be cheerful Even though I've got an earful -- I just can't stop shitting corn!

by Anonymousreply 5306/02/2011

You're right [R52]. I got the lyrics mixed up. It goes something like "I've played Lorelei and I've done Modern Millie, but Dolly is a girl's best friend. And once I did Shaw, but I looked awfully silly...". The next verse goes "I've hosted awards and I've sold kitty litter, but Dolly is a girl's best friend.."

by Anonymousreply 5406/02/2011

Of course I am a fan of Barbra- the Dolly movie is one big messy campfest and a total showcase for Barbra's over the top talent. She is constantly winking at the audience throughout and she sings the shit out of the songs. I thought she was like watching a human fire engine or a jumbo jet taking off- although at times the quality of her voice is so good its kind of scary. %0D %0D Shirley Booth did the talkie movie "The Matchmaker" with Anthony Perkins as the Cornelius character. Wonder if she contemplated suicide losing the role to Carol or to Barbra? Wonder if Tony Perkins wwa upset. He was adorable in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 5506/02/2011

I understand Babs is also going to make the films of Spring Awakening and Priscilla as well (as Bernadette). Y'know - I might actually want to see the latter.

by Anonymousreply 5606/02/2011

[quote]Shirley Booth did the talkie movie "The Matchmaker" %0D %0D Thanks for confirming your age for us, charlie.

by Anonymousreply 5706/02/2011

[quote]Shirley Booth did the talkie movie "The Matchmaker"

Ruth Gordon originated the role on Broadway! That I would have loved to see.

by Anonymousreply 5806/02/2011

I get all the film versions, bitches. Channing, LuPone and Barbara Harris are just jealous because "I'm The Greatest Star." And Glenn and Madonna had better be grateful that I passed on Sunset Boulevard and Evita so they could finally get some work.

by Anonymousreply 5906/02/2011

I think he meant "talky."%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6006/02/2011

"Channing has never admitted publicly(as far as I know) that the original Broadway "Hello, Dolly" was offered to three or four other stars before they called her.

But we are supposed to believe that she was going to jump out a window when Streisand got the film role. I don't think so."

What does one thing have to do with the other?

by Anonymousreply 6111/20/2011

Dear r59 Barbra, which of my roles did you do on film? I must have missed that. It certainly wasn't Evita as you are not Madonna. It wasn't Sunset Boulevard because you will never do that. And it certainly wasn't Les Mis because last time I checked you are not Annie Hathaway.

Oh, wait.... are you talking about that Great Gramma Rose you are supposed to do that the whole world is laughing about?

by Anonymousreply 6211/20/2011

Patti acting as if she is more accomplished than Barbra in the movies is the funniest post ever. We all remember PLP's withered tits onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 6311/20/2011

Carol understood that Barbra considered getting that movie role as revenge for the Tonys. Fortunately she got over that particular period (see link)

by Anonymousreply 6411/20/2011

Other take the female drag queen farther (see link). Such as Miss Eartha Kitt.

by Anonymousreply 6511/20/2011

Debbie Reynold's would have been good.

Or Barbra lip-synching for Liz Taylor.

by Anonymousreply 6611/20/2011

I love Carol. The revivals were indeed great. Carol must be delightful dinner company - she has been a guest of the Kennedys, the Johnsons, the Windsors, etc. Thing is her act is so broad its best on stage, in theaters it can be... startling.

Funny true story - Carol brings her own food wherever she goes. She even took her own food to Hyannis Port! She still does to this day.

by Anonymousreply 6711/20/2011

Regardless of anyone's opinion, Hollywood ALWAYS goes only for who is perceived of being a potential star. In the 1960s there were two gigantic female stars only - Julie Andrews and Barbra Streisand and both followed similar trajectories, basically, after sensational Broadway turns, they were courted by Holywood studios. Before any movie opened with Julie, she had already filmed Mary Poppins, Americanization of Emily and Sound of Music back to back. By the time her first movie opened, she was considered a huge star,and the 3 films proved it. Same happened with Streisand. Before any of her movies opened, she had filmed Funny Girl, Hello Dolly and On a Clear Day....all studios were betting on her, YEARS before she made it. This happens frequently in Hollywood (always). Studios place their gets in new talent YAERS before the public endorses them. Colin Farrell recently was collecting $8 million per film as his first hit opened (Mission Impossible, a supporting role along Tom Cruise - and soon he was bigger then Cruise. So Chaning was the right age and would be a more adequate Dolly, but Hollywood never hires old broads. Joan Crawford and Bette Davis struggled to get a Baby Jane out. Female stars always have trouble past 40.

by Anonymousreply 6809/24/2013

Explain how Lucille Ball was able to get the film role of 'Mame' from poor me...

by Anonymousreply 6909/24/2013

Hello Dolly was originally written for Ethel Merman but she turned it down. years later at the very end she was the last dolly on Broadway, before the revivals started.

by Anonymousreply 7009/24/2013

"Hello Dolly was originally written for Ethel Merman but she turned it down."

Mary Martin was also courted for the role. They may have also considered Betty Garrett before giving it to Channing.

by Anonymousreply 7109/24/2013

Mary Martin was a shitty actress

by Anonymousreply 7209/24/2013

That may be, R72, but Mary Martin was undeniably a huge star beloved by millions.

I read a convincing opinion somewhere from someone who had seen all the major Dollies of the 60s and he proclaimed Martin the best. I can see Mary holding her own by playing coy rather than outrageous like Carol. She probably had more "oomph"' than many of Channing successors in NY. With the exception of Merman, none of the other Broadway stars of Dolly! invested anywhere near the time Martin had spent honing her craft in front of live audiences.

Her voice is husky and a little run-down on the London Cast Album, but you can hear her play the part well through the songs. Everyone on that album does a creditable job. It's worth seeking out.

And I still say 20th Century Fox made a major blunder when they failed to hire their own Superstar of the 40s, Betty Grable, to come back and make a major motion picture musical about a faded, middle-aged woman who cut a swell figure in days gone by. They could have had a classic if they had stuck to the perfectly reasonable demands of the original story, in which the young lovers are young while the leading lady is middle-aged and alone, which brings poignancy and purpose to her machinations.

by Anonymousreply 7309/25/2013

[quote] Debbie Reynold's would have been good.

Debbie Reynold's WHAT would have been good?

by Anonymousreply 7409/25/2013

Lucille Ball was very wealthy at the time and always. Lucy financed Mame with an $8 million budget. She put up $5 million of her own money, roughly 60% of the budget was guaranteed by Lucy, so she could get her role. That is how an old broad lands a role in a Hollywood musical. Nobody hires old broads for a musical in Hollywood, except when you finance it yourself.

by Anonymousreply 7509/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!