Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Dukes of Hazzard" actress Peggy Rea dies, age 89

(Reuters Life!) - Actress Peggy Rea, who starred in numerous TV shows over a long career including "The Dukes of Hazzard" and "The Waltons," has died of heart failure, age 89.

Rea died on February 5 at her home in the Los Angeles-area community of Toluca Lake, according to show business newspaper The Hollywood Reporter. A Los Angeles County coroner official was not immediately available for confirmation.

The veteran actress' career dates back to the 1950s when she appeared on the "I Love Lucy" TV series starring Lucille Ball. She worked steadily through the 1960s on shows such as "Dr. Kildare", "Mission Impossible" and "The Red Skelton Hour."

In the late 1970s, Rea portrayed Rose Burton on hit family drama "The Waltons" and into the 1980s, could be seen as Lulu Hogg on action-packed TV show, "The Dukes of Hazzard."

More recently, she appeared on TV series such as "Step by Step" and "Grace Under Fire."

by Anonymousreply 3412/31/2012

How is her sister Diar doing?

by Anonymousreply 102/12/2011

She started singing with Kay Thompson.

by Anonymousreply 202/12/2011

Wikipedia has been updated:

by Anonymousreply 302/12/2011

Here she is on "I Love Lucy" in 1953- the dark haired card player.%0D %0D She's one of those rare overweight people who make it into old age. I have aunts in their '80's who are obese and smoke every day. It's all genetics, girls.

by Anonymousreply 402/12/2011

Her TV presence was ubiquitous from the '60s thru the '90s. RIP. I loved her as Grace's bitchy mother in law.

by Anonymousreply 502/12/2011

Any truth to the story that she had a romantic relationship with Pratricia Rutledge in the sixties?

by Anonymousreply 602/12/2011

Was she the the fat lady who took care of the family on The Waltons when the grandparents and Mrs Walton died?

by Anonymousreply 702/12/2011

I don't know, R6, but I don't see any mention of a husband or kids, so she may have been a lesbian:

by Anonymousreply 802/12/2011

[quote]It would be fascinating if she were a lesbian, since she replaced two gay actors on 'The Waltons'. Call me late to the party, but I didn't know Michael Learned is a lesbian. Though I always suspected as much.

by Anonymousreply 1002/14/2011

Yesterday in LA, during a block of ILL episodes, there was Peggy Rea, in the famous baby episode. She was the nurse who wheeled Ricky into the hospital on a wheelchair and also performed various bits.

Wonderful, wonderful character actress.

by Anonymousreply 1102/14/2011

She had a wonderful one-time only appearance on All in the Family as a friend of Edith's (a rich widow) who they hook up with Archie's friend Barney. Just hearing her say "government bonds" was funny.%0D

by Anonymousreply 1202/14/2011

R12, I remember that episode as well. Edith thought Barney was using her. Rea did a scene where she talked to her about the relationship and she was so soft and vulnerable. In another actress' hands, it might have been melodramatic, but Rea made it ring totally true. We understood why Barney liked her.

by Anonymousreply 1302/14/2011

r10, Ellen Corby and Will Geer were both gay.

by Anonymousreply 1402/14/2011

I first met Peggy in the mid 80s before Grace Under Fire and In Country. She was a close friend of a friend. I've asked him over the years (and again today) if Peggy was a lesbian. Peggy said that lots of people thought she was a lesbian because she never married, but she frequently found a stage hand who like a woman with some meat on her bones. She was a great Raconteur; lots of funny stories and really enjoyed all the people she was able to work with. She really hoped to be nominated for Best Supporting Actress for In Country. Great stories from her STREETCAR experience, touring with Anthony Quinn. She's being buried in Santa Barbara because that's where her mom is buried. %0D %0D RIP, Peggy.

by Anonymousreply 1502/14/2011

She was a Lez for sure. Why do you think Kay Thompson hired her?

by Anonymousreply 1601/28/2012

Was she LuLu on the Dukes of Hazzard?

by Anonymousreply 1701/28/2012

Yes, she was Lulu Hogg.

by Anonymousreply 1801/28/2012

Read the OP, r17.

by Anonymousreply 1901/28/2012

I know I'm 4 years old mentally for admitting it but I laughed at [R1].

[R6] Who didn't?

by Anonymousreply 2001/28/2012

To the person who said Ellen Corby and Will Geer were gay, you are so wrong. Get your facts straight before you post something. You look like an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 2112/30/2012

This is to the people who think Michael Learned was gay or that it would be fascinating if she was, get your facts straight you both look like idiots.

by Anonymousreply 2212/30/2012

Lulu, of all people, lived to be 89?!

by Anonymousreply 2312/30/2012

Peggy also showed up on "The Golden Girls" as a matchmaker who Sophia hired to get Dorothy a date.

by Anonymousreply 2412/30/2012

So this stupid thread was bumped by a homophobe trying to protect old tv actors from being called gay. Well I know Will Geer was gay, I'm not sure about the others. How creepy that someone was searching old threads to find any mention of Will Geer being gay, and bumping it to deny it.

by Anonymousreply 2512/30/2012

What's wrong with being gay, R21 and R22?

by Anonymousreply 2612/30/2012

For a moment I thought it said Charlotte Rae since I think she is about 90 and still alive.

Wondered why an old death from last year was being brought up again.

by Anonymousreply 2712/31/2012

She was the fat lady on All In The Family that stupidly sold her supermarket and bought three diamonds with it.

What a sugar lezzie

by Anonymousreply 2812/31/2012

Just some good old boys

Always pulling their cocks

Beating them raw

Been in trouble with the law

Finding men at the docks.

Making their way

The only way they know how

Fucking men's asses till their bitches go OW...

by Anonymousreply 2912/31/2012

r21, Will Geer put the make on every male apprentice at Shakespeare Festival in Stratford, Connecticut. Everyone in Hollywood accepted Ellen's sappho desires.

by Anonymousreply 3012/31/2012

Will Geer was Harry Hay's lover pre-mattachine society days. Ellen Corby quietly lived with her same sex spouse until her death,

by Anonymousreply 3112/31/2012

I'm shocked - she was morbidly obese for so many years. I always thought she looked like she was going to fall over from a heart attack.

by Anonymousreply 3212/31/2012

She & her character, Rose, were annoying on THE WALTONS.

by Anonymousreply 3312/31/2012

And she was gay!

by Anonymousreply 3412/31/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!