Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Charlotte Gainsbourg

At nearly 40, she looks ageless (scroll down for pic.) The slim, girlish figure helps. What does DL think of her, her music and her films?

by Anonymousreply 5009/27/2013

Jane Birkin, her mother, is also ageless...

by Anonymousreply 102/11/2011

Liked her primarily in her French films, but after watching her in the execrable ANTICHRIST (where her character cuts off her clitoris in close-up), I could do without seeing her for a while.

by Anonymousreply 202/11/2011

I only saw her in that Jane Eyre remake and thought she was unsufferable and without any range at all. Then I learned who her parents were and rolled me eyes and thought: "Oh."

by Anonymousreply 302/11/2011

Her father was the greatest French songwriter of the 20th century, both for himself and for others. He had so much range, soul, facility and wit. Some of his tunes are pop classics.

It is hard for me to be impressed with Charlotte's output given Serge Gainsbourg's talent. In film and music she seems to be confined to a certain kind of waifish indie gamine space...which she is getting a little old to occupy at this point although the slenderness and style do help.

In interviews she comes off like a nice, smart, cool person.

by Anonymousreply 402/11/2011

I agree, R3. She has no range whatsoever. I liked her in I'm not there, but she acted opposite Heath Ledger and he, probably, made her look good. I couldn't stand her in that Michel Gondry film with that Mexican actor.

Vanessa Paradis. My god. What a grin.

by Anonymousreply 502/11/2011

Funny, I'm Not There is playing on Tv right now. She is not bad but similar to 21 Grams I am kinda wondering what she is doing in the movie. Seems like directors cast her because it's a cool thing to do, not because she's a good fit.

by Anonymousreply 602/11/2011

Are her and her father the ones who were "promoting" incest a few years ago?

by Anonymousreply 702/13/2011

Love her. Don't know why.

by Anonymousreply 805/19/2011

She would be ideally cast as Patti Smith.

by Anonymousreply 905/19/2011

Highly overrated in just about every category: looks, talent, appeal...

by Anonymousreply 1005/19/2011

[quote]Seems like directors cast her because it's a cool thing to do, not because she's a good fit.

That, and it seems she will do anything in a part. I saw Antichrist. She was merely OK, but not too many actresses would do what she had to do in that film. Her gutsiness won her Palme D'Or.

by Anonymousreply 1105/19/2011

Underrated actress, actually. %0D

by Anonymousreply 1205/19/2011

I loved her in The Science Of Sleep.

by Anonymousreply 1305/19/2011

What r10 said!

by Anonymousreply 1405/19/2011

I think she's lovely and quite charming in "The City of Your Final Destination," a film that deserved a wider release than it received.

by Anonymousreply 1505/19/2011

She is marvelous as a kid in L'Effrontee, her breakout film (1985).

by Anonymousreply 1605/19/2011

"Her father was the greatest French songwriter of the 20th century, both for himself and for others. He had so much range, soul, facility and wit. Some of his tunes are pop classics."%0D %0D He was also a sick creep. He did a duet with Charlotte called "Lemon Incest." This was said about it on Wikipedia:%0D %0D "This song has caused a scandal as it was accused of glamorising paedophilia and incest. Charlotte, who then was twelve, sings ambiguous lyrics seeming to refer to a physical love between an adult and a child. In addition, the relationship between the two singers is the same as the protagonists of the song, which led to suspicions on the autobiographical nature of the work."%0D %0D Of course he denied any actual incest between him and his daughter. Still, it's pretty disgusting to have your 12 year old child singing a song about incest between a father and daughter.

by Anonymousreply 1705/20/2011

Charlotte is beautiful in how plain she is.%0D %0D She's also a good actress.

by Anonymousreply 1805/20/2011

I like her.

by Anonymousreply 1905/20/2011

MAKE A POST FOR HER FATHER SERGE GAINSBOURG AND FOR HER MOTHER JANE BIRKIN FFS!

by Anonymousreply 2001/06/2013

Anyway Charlotte is a good actress by the way. I liked her a lot in 'Melancholia' and in 'Jane Eyre'

This is my favourite song of hers by far

Everything I Cannot See...

by Anonymousreply 2101/06/2013

I have the music from "I'm not here" and hers is the only song on the double disc that I skip. She does that typical French actress "singing": monotonous, no range, whispering of words.

by Anonymousreply 2201/06/2013

any truth to the rumour, that she hooked up with filthy pete doherty and wanted to leave her husband for him?

by Anonymousreply 2301/06/2013

I think she's great. Her mom is wonderful too.

by Anonymousreply 2401/06/2013

Voyage...

by Anonymousreply 2501/11/2013

[quote]any truth to the rumour, that she hooked up with filthy pete doherty and wanted to leave her husband for him?

Pete confirmed they had an affair.

by Anonymousreply 2601/11/2013

she cheated on her husband you mean? Charlotte?

Lol

by Anonymousreply 2701/11/2013

She was great in Melancholia. Never cared much about her before then, but she really excelled in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 2801/11/2013

I agree with you R28. She was very touching in that film.

by Anonymousreply 2901/11/2013

I loved her look in Antichrist: In just a shirt, naked from the waist down squatting - waiting to POUNCE like the crazy bitch she is.

by Anonymousreply 3001/11/2013

I never saw that movie. It didn't appeal to me R30...

by Anonymousreply 3101/11/2013

[quote]Her father was the greatest French songwriter of the 20th century...

Toots, you clearly don't know much about 20th-century French pop music.

by Anonymousreply 3201/11/2013

IRM is a fantastic album.

by Anonymousreply 3301/11/2013

I do know something about French pop music, actually. Gainsbourg's songs have been recorded around the world by more artists than just about any French songwriter. He's known for deft wordplay. He was extremely prolific and mastered different style -- jazz, pop, hard rock and reggae. Just switched on the TV last night and heard "Je t'Aime Moi Non Plus" playing in the background of a movie from the 2000s. Who rivals him? Chantal Goya?

by Anonymousreply 3401/11/2013

jolie laide...but more laide really

by Anonymousreply 3501/11/2013

I used to listen to this song over and over and over....

Childhood memories.

by Anonymousreply 3601/11/2013

R36, I prefer his version of that with Bardot. Sexy beyond belief.

I really love the video for Charlotte's "Time of the Assassins" from the IRM CD.

by Anonymousreply 3701/11/2013

Here's the Bardot version of Je T'Aime Moi Non Plus. (You have to be 18 to watch it according to You Tube.)

Bardot was sex personified in her heyday. Too bad she has ended so badly, in both looks and personality.

by Anonymousreply 3801/11/2013

Great version r38.

I used to listen to it as a kid, my mother finally heard the orgasmic moans one day and she bought me this Waldo de los Rios album. It was the orchestral version, the album cover brings back such memories. I can't believe it is on YouTube.

Anyway, a bit off topic. The movie My Heroic Life ; Serge Gainsbourg was pretty great. What talent.

by Anonymousreply 3901/11/2013

Any friend of Pete's is a friend of mine.

by Anonymousreply 4001/11/2013

R38 at least Bardot is a true animal activist and lover. We must acknowledge her that.

by Anonymousreply 4101/12/2013

Guys don't be stingy!

Yes, make a thread for Jane Birkin.

You should also make a thread for:

FRANCOISE HARDY, Sophie Marceau and for SERGE GAINSBOURG!

Don't be mean. Open your horizons and be generous!

Ty

by Anonymousreply 4208/24/2013

I love Serge Gainsbourg' songs!!!!

I also some Jane Birkin's songs!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4308/24/2013

Johan! :)

You have a good taste then!

by Anonymousreply 4408/24/2013

As other commenters have said here, she is fantastic in Melancholia, that's the first movie that I'd ever seen her in.

by Anonymousreply 4508/24/2013

I just remember how we got shown her Jane Eyre in English class and my classmates mercilessly making fun of how plain she was. Felt it was mean.

by Anonymousreply 4608/24/2013

R42 Francoise Hardy is a goddess. I still can't believe how a woman can sing the way she does and yet be less known than other singers. Of course in her country i bet she is an icon as she should be!

She is perfection. Her songs, her voice, such harmony, such yearning, such sentiment!

Poor are the people who are satisfied with all the less they receive as hits nowadays.

Thank God for Francoise Hardy!

I wish my generation could produce more powerful and soulful songs. What the hell is going on and people are satisfied with trash today? Why all this sensational decadence?

by Anonymousreply 4708/24/2013

Can't stand her or her mother. Her father is disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 4808/24/2013

Her dad is was the dirty old man of French pop a great talent but perverted.

Watch Charlotte Sometimes, its a free movie on youtube, with dad and daughter that movie cemented it for me they had an incestuous relationship plus Serge was a bulimic he freely vomits his guts out on screen, watch the movie.

They share a bed after she takes off her top, his character seduces a young girl... yes she was clearly to me molested and her whispery baby-voice adds fuel to my assumption.

by Anonymousreply 4908/24/2013

R49 i doubt that there was ever an incestuous relationship between Charlotte and her father. Serge was just provocative by singing 'Lemon incest' with Charlotte, that's when all these silly rumors started. It's just a song. If he really had such issues, he would never have the guts to sing them in a song. He was just provocative. Yes, i agree though, the song and the idea of it is lame. Serge has written a lot of beautiful songs. He shouldn't do this one. Anyway...

by Anonymousreply 5009/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.