Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why GAWKER MEDIA?! WHYyyyyyyyy?!?!

I wish Anonymous would hack them again to punish them for the shittastic redesign.

by Anonymousreply 91April 1, 2011 3:02 PM

I know; WTF?

by Anonymousreply 1February 9, 2011 6:02 AM

It sucks and unfortunately all the associated sites like Gizmodo also have followed their lead.

by Anonymousreply 2February 9, 2011 6:04 AM

"Re-design! Re-design! Re-design!"

by Anonymousreply 3February 9, 2011 6:07 AM

it looks very cheap.

by Anonymousreply 4February 9, 2011 6:11 AM

i09.com actually went first.%0D %0D Sigh.%0D %0D So don't go, don't comment, and they'll notice the drop in traffic, and maybe they'll go back. Or fix the new system to not be quite so sucky.%0D

by Anonymousreply 5February 9, 2011 6:14 AM

They've been getting worse and worse for years. I read theawl.com now to get quality content from the better former editors/writers without the tmz-style crap gawker has now.

by Anonymousreply 6February 9, 2011 6:18 AM

there's a button/icon at the top, at the right of the left "article" segment that lets you change it back to "blog" view.

by Anonymousreply 7February 9, 2011 6:22 AM

By forcing you to click on individual posts, the stupid ads get more "impressions."

It sucks.

by Anonymousreply 8February 9, 2011 6:36 AM

Even the "blog" view sucks. For one thing, pressing the back button on you browser does not take you back to the main page (unless they've fixed that).

by Anonymousreply 9February 9, 2011 7:05 AM

Thanks r7.%0D %0D I hate the stupid Most Popular thing on the right that you can't scroll and the lack of the top stories in the masthead, but at least in the classic view I know how to look at posts older than the front page.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 10February 9, 2011 7:07 AM

Thanks for the thread, OP. I fucking hate the new design. It's horrible, not useful, and, I would guess, will be gone in a month or so. It seems as if everybody hates it; maybe it was created by the same genius who tried to screw with Coca-Cola.

by Anonymousreply 11February 9, 2011 7:17 AM

it sucks

by Anonymousreply 12February 9, 2011 8:31 AM

It's ugly. It's not elegant. Real eyesore. And it makes it look so commercial and colorful that it's at odds with its roots as snarky and cool.

But it's a relief for me because now it means I don't have to click on the various sites throughout the hour as I used to. As with the poster above, I'm going to check it once a day and that's it.

by Anonymousreply 13February 9, 2011 1:32 PM

I just checked it. You're right; it's unreadable.

by Anonymousreply 14February 9, 2011 2:17 PM

What fresh hell is this? I thought the page was loading, and it gave me 2 stories?

by Anonymousreply 15February 9, 2011 3:58 PM

It's cool with me because I finally have the motivation to stop visiting that shit-ass site. Thanks Denton!

by Anonymousreply 16February 9, 2011 7:59 PM

and if you try to scroll down with your arrow button - it's loads the next story. Fuck that shit.

It's impossible to view threads for a story. I tried to read the break-up threads and it's like an iq test.

by Anonymousreply 17February 9, 2011 8:07 PM

they've frozen my browser the two times I've tried to check it out.

by Anonymousreply 18February 9, 2011 9:29 PM

Fuck Lifehacker's redesign with a two dollar bill and a turnip!

by Anonymousreply 19February 9, 2011 9:40 PM

I tried to post a new comment (not a reply to an existing comment) and it wouldn't let me. I typed stuff in, and the submit button looked 'grayed out'... I clicked it and it seemed to click, but nothing happened. %0D %0D Eventually I just went to a new page, because it wouldn't post what I had typed no matter how many times I clicked submit.%0D %0D WTF?%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 20February 10, 2011 12:58 AM

Has it gotten any better? I don't want to check.

by Anonymousreply 21February 12, 2011 2:04 AM

Nope. No change.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 22February 12, 2011 2:06 AM

I used to like the Gawker Stalker postings but no way to find that on the redesign!

by Anonymousreply 23February 12, 2011 2:10 AM

The amount of comments seems way down.%0D

by Anonymousreply 24February 12, 2011 2:12 AM

Fuck. They fucked up deadspin too. I didn't realize that til now. GRRRRRRR.

by Anonymousreply 25February 12, 2011 2:19 AM

Gawker, io9, gizmodo, lifehacker, Deadspin, Kotaku, jalopnik, and jezebel. %0D %0D Fleshbot is thankfully avoiding the 'redesign'.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 26February 12, 2011 2:28 AM

The writing is also worst and dickish.

The facebook and Egypt stuff and that wasteful Steve Jobs thing.

by Anonymousreply 27February 12, 2011 2:30 AM

Hate it. I was wondering why do this? Why? It wasn't broken the way it was. And I agree too the soul of it has been missing too.

Where do people go on the web now? What are the hot new sites?

by Anonymousreply 28February 12, 2011 2:33 AM

Off topic but still enough time to roll a joint and get some munchies ready for Bill Maher.

by Anonymousreply 29February 12, 2011 2:36 AM

Hate it. Worse than Cheney.

by Anonymousreply 30February 12, 2011 2:37 AM

Did Gawker secretly sell off to someone else (a la HuffPo-AOL) and that's why the redesign happen?

by Anonymousreply 31February 12, 2011 2:41 AM

Thank you op! Gawker changed it so you are forced to click on the link to read the story, instead of scanning down a page and getting the quick recap.

by Anonymousreply 32February 12, 2011 2:51 AM

R28, it looks like the regular commenters are decamping to a site called crasstalk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 12, 2011 3:03 AM

there's a group on facebook called "the Gawker redesign sucks" or similar

by Anonymousreply 34February 12, 2011 4:05 AM

The redesign is ugly, slow and buggy. The comments are very hard to browse and the quality of the articles is just terrible. Shit like "How to Cheat Online%E2%80%94and Get Away with It" posted on Gizmodo? WTF?

How big of an ego does Denton have if he truly believes that the redesign is an improvement and the readers just don't get the brilliance of the new Gawker Media?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 12, 2011 8:02 AM

I'm getting used to it. But it still looks dumb. Bigger and more colorful and dumber. It looks like what I imagine the Sunday Parade online looks like.

by Anonymousreply 36February 12, 2011 11:52 AM

the redesign is terrible. Used to spend quite a bit of time on their various sites going through several pages on both, now can barely make it through one page on one site, and have no desire to visit their others after that experience. being able to 'click off blog' layout is only a minimal fixer. the fuckery on the right side is awful and takes up too much space. the stationary fuckery bar on the bottom is beyond annoying. it's like trying to look through a shrunken peephole to try and see the actual stories. it's become not worth it to visit the site and it's sister sites. shame. pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 37February 12, 2011 12:31 PM

Ahem.

by Anonymousreply 38February 15, 2011 9:21 PM

I barely can get articles to load. It's awful. Unreadable, slow and filled with bugs.

by Anonymousreply 39February 15, 2011 9:28 PM

Looks bloated and there are like two comments per entry. So unreadable.

by Anonymousreply 40February 15, 2011 9:41 PM

where the hell did valleywag go?

by Anonymousreply 41February 15, 2011 9:52 PM

OMG I just made an amazing discovery y'all:%0D %0D For some reason Canada's gawker version is untainted by the awful redesign.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42February 19, 2011 5:48 AM

R42, you are a genius! That works for gizmodo as well!

ca.gizmodo.com

by Anonymousreply 43February 19, 2011 5:57 AM

You're welcome!

by Anonymousreply 44February 19, 2011 1:55 PM

Check out how Gawker's page views have plummeted since the redesign. Not a good move Denton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45February 20, 2011 9:53 PM

Metblogs (a chain of locally written city blogs) was pretty popular until it redesigned around '08. When people (including the bloggers) complained, the owner took a lofty attitude, assuring the public they'd grow to love it and telling the bloggers to take a hike if they didn't like it.

People left; comments plummeted; more people left; rinse, repeat. The site cratered. They were planning to shut it down, but it's still up for the time being, though many of the individual city blogs haven't been updated for a year or more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46February 20, 2011 10:49 PM

They're killing their brand.

by Anonymousreply 47February 21, 2011 1:38 AM

How the fuck do you know if your comments get any responses? You used to get notified, now I can't see any notifications.%0D %0D What a fucking pain.%0D

by Anonymousreply 48February 21, 2011 2:36 AM

This interview deals with a lot of the rationale behind the redesign:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49February 21, 2011 3:33 AM

The marketing rationale might seem to make sense, but it doesn't translate into a usable site for USERS.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 50February 21, 2011 3:36 AM

So it's all about more hits and page views to increase ad sales and get on the agencies' radar? Not exactly working out so well. It's obvious less people are going to the site and spending less time on it, which is going to reflect on their ComScore numbers and thereby fucking up their plans in getting onto the big media buying agencies schedules. Idiots.

by Anonymousreply 51February 21, 2011 4:06 AM

r49, that was an interesting read.

Here's the thing for me. I may go to gawker for the big story but I stay for the smaller (less popular stories, I guess) that aren't being covered by other sites.

For example the shirtless craigslist congressman. Gawker broke that story. They wrote the story and provided updates. The thing is - I may read or learn about the story @ gawker - but I may move on the Nytimes or a political blog for a different perspective of what it all means. If I really want to understand who this congressman is and what his resignation means - I'm not going to get that from gawker. I may learn something from a post but I'll learn more elsewhere.

Popular stories that were days or a week old would sit a the top of the page - like a friendly reminder. Now if you are following a conversation on a story that is a few days - it's difficult to find.

r48 points out another problem. You can't track your comments and we are no longer notified on replies. That seems like a great way to drive away traffic. Today I clicked on the .ca site and had 8 replies. I didn't reply back because I had moved on and others covered my point. It's no longer fun, interesting or interactive.

by Anonymousreply 52February 21, 2011 4:22 AM

It's also very difficult to navigate without a mouse without a scroll-wheel.%0D %0D I use my laptop most of the time, and it's just a pain to use.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 53February 21, 2011 4:23 AM

That's an enormous loss of traffic. I haven't been there, myself, since I gave up on them reversing the design maybe 3 days or so after it took place.

by Anonymousreply 54February 21, 2011 8:24 AM

I still stop by, but my stay is very brief. Someone said the new design makes you go cross eyed. It really does. Thought I'd miss it because I visited there so frequently, but I don't at all.

by Anonymousreply 55February 21, 2011 2:50 PM

There's a button at the top to switch to "blog view" (in the bar with the site name)... it sorta helps a little, but still...%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 56February 21, 2011 2:54 PM

R42 - Thank You! Now I can enjoy reading Gawker again. Great tip!

by Anonymousreply 57February 21, 2011 3:16 PM

I've noticed some minor improvements... a new scrollbar on the story list bar on the right. Also, the "blog view" is much improved too.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 58February 21, 2011 8:12 PM

The new layout does keep improving incrementally but the initial totally incomprehensible redesign just highlighted how the content isn't really worth putting any effort into finding. Richard Lawson needs to find a new gig

by Anonymousreply 59February 21, 2011 8:19 PM

Yeah, Lawson's recaps are the one thing I would make an effort for.

by Anonymousreply 60February 21, 2011 8:52 PM

Urgh this always happens. They always ruin good things.

by Anonymousreply 61February 21, 2011 9:04 PM

R42 The .uk site is ok as well - must just be a US redesign.I don't know which other domains to test it with.

by Anonymousreply 62February 21, 2011 9:05 PM

Their sites are going into the "check when I'm really bored" folder.

by Anonymousreply 63February 21, 2011 9:10 PM

The commenting has really fallen off.%0D

by Anonymousreply 64February 22, 2011 5:38 AM

Hoo Hoo Haw Haaaa Gawker/Gizmodo (Same site), that front group for the young scientology crowd (Yes, Denton the owner mostly hires scientologists)got screwed today when Google changed their algorithm to put Gawker, Gizmodo and all of Denton's crap sites into the lowest search levels. (Google people HATE Scientologists).. I love it!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65February 25, 2011 11:13 PM

Gawker finally posts about their redesign:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66March 1, 2011 3:19 PM

Must watch video!! Nick Denton is a greedy idiot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67March 1, 2011 3:59 PM

Gawker has stopped working for me. When I click on a story nothing happens. When I reload with the story URL, I just get a blank page.%0D %0D And there is nothing in the right hand list.

by Anonymousreply 68March 1, 2011 4:06 PM

You have to enable javascript to see the page. Lame.

by Anonymousreply 69March 1, 2011 7:33 PM

Same here, r68. I'm DONE.

by Anonymousreply 70March 1, 2011 8:51 PM

denton is a scientologist?%0D %0D Why does gawker make fun of scientologists all the time then?

by Anonymousreply 71March 1, 2011 8:58 PM

[quote]You have to enable javascript to see the page. Lame.%0D %0D There are few websites that are worth visiting that don't have some javascript on them.%0D %0D What's LAME is insisting that sites allow you to browse them as if it were 1996.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 72March 2, 2011 1:27 AM

If you can read here, you obviously have javascript enabled. So why should it be an issue to browse THAT site?%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 73March 2, 2011 1:28 AM

I use firefox with noscript. DL loads just fine. Gawker is a blank white page.

by Anonymousreply 74March 2, 2011 8:12 AM

I just tried to read a story on Jezebel and it wouldn't even load its own page. They've destroyed their business.

by Anonymousreply 75March 2, 2011 8:22 AM

R74, considering how much this site is based on javascript...%0D %0D (what kind of paranoid idiot do you have to be to run with 'noscript'? To so dumb-down your internet experience like that??)%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 76March 2, 2011 2:56 PM

it sucks now. hardly go there anymore due to the redesign.

by Anonymousreply 77March 2, 2011 2:58 PM

R77, have you tried the suggestions here? Switching to Blog View? And noticing the changes and fixes they've made based on feedback?%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 78March 2, 2011 3:02 PM

All the sites are in the old mode if you use the Canadian address.

by Anonymousreply 79March 2, 2011 3:12 PM

I've just been going to crasstalk:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80March 3, 2011 12:29 PM

It sucks. I hope they can recover from this, but the drop in the number of comments is very steep and the commenters who remain are not exactly the cream of the crop.%0D %0D I hate that merely hovering the cursor for half a second over another article takes me to that article (navigating Gawker's redesigned site with an arrow key is not recommended) and I hate that I can't tell who is replying to whom in the comments.

by Anonymousreply 81March 3, 2011 12:39 PM

is it gone for good?

by Anonymousreply 82March 5, 2011 2:21 PM

I have no idea what you're talking about with the 'hovering' concept.%0D %0D I find it sucks a lot less now.%0D %0D But yeah, the fact that you can't tell who is replying to whom in the comments still sucks.%0D %0D At least they got notifications of replies (sorta) working.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 83March 5, 2011 6:57 PM

The quality has just gone downhill. The articules are boring, the commenters (what's left of them) have nothing interesting to say, and the writing is dull.%0D %0D I find myself going there about once a day to find anything of interest and then leaving quickly.

by Anonymousreply 84March 7, 2011 8:00 PM

Is there a golf clap for bad web redesign?

by Anonymousreply 85March 7, 2011 8:06 PM

How long does it take for your comment to show up when you "start a new discussion?"

by Anonymousreply 86March 8, 2011 8:10 PM

OMGaaaa, I just went on io9, and they're back to blog format!!!!

by Anonymousreply 87March 30, 2011 2:08 AM

I haven't even bothered to check them in weeks.

by Anonymousreply 88March 30, 2011 2:13 AM

Gawker's back to normal, too.

by Anonymousreply 89March 30, 2011 2:20 AM

Not for me.

by Anonymousreply 90April 1, 2011 1:59 PM

Gizmodo has been hopped up on the hippy lettuce for the last week. Their ads jump in front of articles and make scrolling irritating.

I've thrown the whole batch of them into an RSS reader.

by Anonymousreply 91April 1, 2011 3:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!