Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How conversative is Austria?

I have an Austrian friend who's 27 years old and in a relationship with a Danish guy, around the same age. They live in Montreal. They are in a closeted relationship and officially present themselves as "roommates", 1950s-style, even though everyone obviously knows they're a couple. They are out neither to their gay friends (they have a few) nor their straight friends. The Austrian guy grew up in the countryside, and I don't think he's even able to discuss his homosexuality. Very strange, for guys in their 20s in 2011.

I've been to Vienna, but I haven't spent enough time in Austria to really know much about the country. How conservative are the people, and how gay-friendly/unfriendly is it? Is this an anomaly?

by Anonymousreply 11301/01/2013

I've never been, so don't take my word for much, but I've heard that some Austrians are the European equivalent of hillbillies.%0D %0D Look at Schwarzenegger, that's the sort of people he came from.

by Anonymousreply 102/08/2011

They [italic]are[/italic] rather talkative there...

by Anonymousreply 202/08/2011

and it's your business how, Mrs. Kravitz?

by Anonymousreply 302/08/2011

I've never approved of the nation's treatment of the Von Trapps.

by Anonymousreply 402/08/2011

He's probably terrified that his dad would trap him in the basement while raping him.

by Anonymousreply 502/08/2011

Incorrect: How conversative is Austria?%0D %0D Correct: How conversive are Austrians?%0D %0D Answer: I assume that some Austrians are quite conversive, some are mildly conversive and some are nonconversive.

by Anonymousreply 602/08/2011

Vienna is the best conservative place in the world, a perfect place to grow old in, beautiful, slow and somehow perfect. The countryside is hidebound and suspicious of outside influence. Hitler and the NAZI higher-ups came from there for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 702/09/2011

A friend's wife who was born there said it is still very catholic. That would explain it.

by Anonymousreply 802/09/2011

It's charms were encapsulated in the 1930's travel slogan "polkas, swastikas and waltzes".

by Anonymousreply 902/09/2011

Austria NEVER shuts up!

by Anonymousreply 1002/09/2011

Lend me their job openings in Montreal, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1102/09/2011

This means nothing to me.

by Anonymousreply 1202/09/2011

Linda Eder sings "Vienna" beautifully.

by Anonymousreply 1302/09/2011

Vienna is gorgeous, but uber-conservative. Same thing with the country. Very Catholic, racist, and anti-Semetic. Lovely, but the underpinnings will give you the chills. Weird but true.%0D %0D Vienna is mad gay, but it's all underneath the surface. Like the country at large, very "family" oriented, but lots of closets to pick from. The right-wing guru Hader (sp)was gayer than a bunny with an Easter basket.

by Anonymousreply 1402/09/2011

Very, very Catholic. I wandered into a restaurant one evening and ordered a meat dish. I had completely forgotten it was Good Friday. The whole restaurant looked at me like I had just shit on the floor, and it got so quiet you could hear a pin drop.

I always get the feeling that Austria is 20 years behind Germany and a bit out of sync with the rest of the World. Like every Austrian teenager is just now discovering Sinead O'Connor and Paula Abdul. It's sort of charming in small doses, but it gets old fast.

They also have a touch of that whole "we used to be an Empire" inferiority complex going on. They've always had a love/hate relationship with Germany, but before the wall came down at least they could look East and feel superior to Hungary. Now they really don't even have that working for them.

I like Vienna, but I can pass on the small towns.

by Anonymousreply 1502/09/2011

as I said, a perfect place to be old and out-of-touch, it would be a great place to retire as an old gay - Vienna.

by Anonymousreply 1602/09/2011

"They live in Montreal."

Well they shouldn't have much to worry about then. They're in one of the most pro-gay cities in North America.

by Anonymousreply 1702/09/2011

I believe the word you are looking for, R6, is "conversant," not "conversive."

by Anonymousreply 1802/09/2011

Austrians have a great sense of family values.

by Anonymousreply 1902/09/2011

Are you redarted?

by Anonymousreply 2002/09/2011

Agree with R14 and R15.%0D %0D I have distant family in Steiermark and they are catholic and conservative. I would never even dream of coming out to them. But you have to say, it's the same in the catholic areas in Switzerland.

by Anonymousreply 2102/09/2011

Oh God, of course I meant Styria (in German: Steiermark)

by Anonymousreply 2202/09/2011

Wow, who knew that Austria was so intolerant? Not me, that's for sure.%0D %0D Oh well, I guess there's nothing in Austria, that you can't get in Germany.

by Anonymousreply 2302/09/2011

Actually, I've been living in Austria for years, and I'd say it's at about the European average in terms of being gay-accepting. It's not the Netherlands, but it's not Poland either.%0D %0D The conservatism is actually focused more on maintaing traditions and national identity than on social values: something like 1/3 of all children are born out of wedlock, the Catholic church is hemorrhaging members here, a much larger proportion of educated people cohabit rather than marrying vs. the US, and there's an active gay community in Vienna.%0D %0D So, for example, in the tradition of Viennese balls, there's an actually quite enjoyable gay ball called the Regenbogen (Rainbow) ball where LGBTs go in formal attire -- many in drag -- to ballroom dance. (Which most of the natives can do; there's even an LGBT-owned ballroom dance school.) This ball is held in the most establishment of all ball venues, the former imperial palace. And the hugely popular Austrian version of Dancing with the Stars is featuring an out gay entertainer who will be dancing with a male partner this season.%0D %0D Of course, like in American flyover land, the countryside is generally way more conservative than the cities, and there are lots of %C3%BCber-conservative areas where I couldn't stand to live, gay or not.

by Anonymousreply 2402/09/2011

I have yet to meet an Austrian man who isn't at least bi. That being said, I've also never met one who openly identifies as gay.%0D %0D They all fit a pattern so far - small dicks, big balls, nice nipples.

by Anonymousreply 2502/09/2011

Yes. Notoriously!

by Anonymousreply 2602/09/2011

Where exactly do the Austrian Navy ships dock?

by Anonymousreply 2702/09/2011

Austria doesn't have a navy. The Austrian Empire did.

by Anonymousreply 2802/09/2011

If Austria is so conservative, how did it manage to produce Mozart and Haydn, and why did the establishment-hating (and German-born) Beethoven feel so at home there?%0D %0D In the 18th century at least, they were on the cutting edge.

by Anonymousreply 2902/09/2011

I've got relatives living in the Burgenland, a rural area near Vienna...very Catholic, very conservative.

They altered their last name after WWII, I shudder to think why.

by Anonymousreply 3002/09/2011

Relative to Poland, Austria is very progressive.

by Anonymousreply 3102/09/2011

Can anyone recommend some places?

by Anonymousreply 3202/09/2011

My partner's father lives right across the border in Bavaria, so the attitude's about the same. He's a sophisticated guy. He spent his career as an an engineer and later an executive for Siemens, he lived and traveled all over the world--he's no bumpkin.

Now that he's retired he lives in a tiny village, wears the full Heidi outfits, spends half his day walking his dog, and the other half digging in his little garden in the summer and chopping firewood in the winter. He won't eat strawberries from the store even though he loves strawberries; he waits for the locally grown strawberries to be picked because that makes him "enjoy them more." He's given up his cellphone, his computer, and I guarantee you he doesn't watch 3 hours of television per month. He's turend himself into a modern peasant, and he loves it.

It's like a partner at Goldman Sachs suddenly moved to Newton, Iowa, bought a mobile home and an old pickup truck, started wearing bib overalls, and spent his days drinking coffee with the boys at Dolly's Cafe.

It's very odd, but his attitude is "this is who I am," and that's the attitude you find everywhere in those small villages.

by Anonymousreply 3302/09/2011

[quote]In the 18th century at least, they were on the cutting edge.

Vienna was different than "austria" which was simply a part of the Holy Roman Empire then.

by Anonymousreply 3402/09/2011

The Austrians were the only people saddened to see Hitler defeated. The Austrian Anschluss was more of a welcome home parade.

by Anonymousreply 3502/09/2011

[quote]Now that he's retired he lives in a tiny village, wears the full Heidi outfits...

Your partner's father wears a dirndl??? Oy vey.

by Anonymousreply 3602/09/2011

I was in Vienna a few months ago and I hooked up with a guy from a small village in Austria. We were at a sex club and I got the impression that he regularly came to Vienna to get laid, only to return to his less accepting village.

I also talked to an older gentleman who came to Vienna with his boyfriend when they were teenagers. He said they wanted to be open with their sexuality/relationship.

by Anonymousreply 3702/09/2011

Austria is gorgeous, but I found it boring and depressing.

by Anonymousreply 3802/09/2011

In the old days they would have gassed the OP as a useless eater for that typo.

by Anonymousreply 3902/09/2011

Insbruck is the tackiest tourist trap town this side of Branson. Nice scenery but the town itself is horrid.

by Anonymousreply 4002/09/2011

lot's of gay skiing in Tirol -- including Lech and St. Anton.

by Anonymousreply 4102/09/2011

[quote]The conservatism is actually focused more on maintaining traditions and national identity than on social values: %0D %0D I agree r24. And the Catholic label also is colored by tradition. It's more like Catholic Lite and is becoming more liberal with laws and social opinions concerning sexual orientation and gender identity. Like Catholic Spain, where same-sex marriage is legal, Austria doesn't follow every dictate from Rome. %0D %0D Austria has civil unions for same-sex couples so that puts them ahead of most of the U.S. They'll have same-sex marriage long before we gain that right. A 2006 European Union poll surveying up to 30,000 people showed Austrian support for same sex marriage at 49% (higher than the EU average of 41%).%0D %0D Austria has an anti-discrimination law in the Labor Code, at the federal level since 2004 and six out of the nine federal republics have established anti-discrimination laws within their area of competence that also cover sexual orientation. %0D %0D The 1993 Police Security Act requires the police to refrain from any actions that could create the impression of bias or that could be perceived as discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation. Can you imagine the Fundie uprising in the U.S., if we ever sought this protection!!!!%0D

by Anonymousreply 4202/09/2011

r13, when will you post Linda singing "Vienna, City of My Dreams?"

by Anonymousreply 4302/09/2011

[quote]Now that he's retired he lives in a tiny village, wears the full Heidi outfits, spends half his day walking his dog, and the other half digging in his little garden in the summer and chopping firewood in the winter. He won't eat strawberries from the store even though he loves strawberries; he waits for the locally grown strawberries to be picked because that makes him "enjoy them more." He's given up his cellphone, his computer, and I guarantee you he doesn't watch 3 hours of television per month. He's turend himself into a modern peasant, and he loves it.

This is so Southern German I can't even handle it

by Anonymousreply 4402/09/2011

This thread interests me because my partner is German, we're in our early 50's, and we have a chance to buy a nice little house in a small village (750 people) south of Cologne. We're giving serious thought to it as a place to retire. The village is nice enough, it has fantastic rail service to anywhere and everywhere, great hike and bike trails, and we can be in Cologne in under an hour and Frankfurt in less than 2. It would be cheap to live there, and a great base from which to travel anywhere in Europe. We can make it work financially (just), especially if we can get onto the German Health Care system.

We're not sure how the locals would deal with not only a gay couple but a gay couple where one is an Auslander from the USA. My partner grew up in a large city and has lived in the USA for 30 years so the countryside is foreign to him too. He's probably more worried about it than I am.

Anyone have any experience they can share?

by Anonymousreply 4502/09/2011

Just curious, R45. Do you have an EU passport? If not, how do you think you'll get residency in Germany? Just by buying property? Is that possible? I'm just wondering since I plan to retire in Europe somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 4602/09/2011

R46, they can be civil-unioned spouses.

by Anonymousreply 4702/09/2011

by Anonymousreply 4802/09/2011

r45, you will be the only gays in the village!

by Anonymousreply 4902/09/2011

LOL, I hadn't considered that, R49. At 53 we may be the youngest people in the village from what I remember from my one visit.

No, I don't have an EU Passport, he does. I think that's all we need, although we're still trying to figure all this out. If there's a sweet spot where he could go there and work a few years to qualify for the German equivalent of Social Security and whatever else they offer the aged, then it's a no-brainer. (He wants to work to stay busy, it's the German in him. I'm perfectly OK never working another minute in my life, it's the American in me.)

by Anonymousreply 5002/09/2011

R38 I live in Vienna and Rho its beautiful and channing its also vety depressing and boring the Ppl Seem bitter and cold. It Pans a lil to say that as I See this as I see Austria as my Country.

by Anonymousreply 5112/29/2012

Vienna was okay but the rural parts, especially in the south, were not only conservative but narrow.

I encountered more bullies there than in any EU country, but found if you just roar at them and declare in loud American that we dropped the bomb on the wrong country and should have nuked them, they run away. They are also big cowards.

I liked Graz because of the high number of students who were sweet and open. The soldiers are also more sophisticated than the general rural population.

The oddest thing about Austrians (South and East except Vienna) is their almost religious-like faith in the power of pumpkin seeds to cure anything.

For sheer beauty, visit the Lake district outside of Salzburg.

If you can arrange it, visit a local fire station. Some of their equipment seems almost Space Age and is beautiful as well as functional.

by Anonymousreply 5212/29/2012

[quote]My partner's father lives right across the border in Bavaria, so the attitude's about the same

I was in Oberndorf, Austria and walked across a bridge over the Salzach River to Germany and there was a totally different feeling. Austrians, friendly and warm, Germans, very standoffish and businesslike.

by Anonymousreply 5312/29/2012

[post by racist shit-stain # 2 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 5412/29/2012

[quote]We can make it work financially (just), especially if we can get onto the German Health Care system.

Why would you expect that if you have not contributed to the system, at all?

by Anonymousreply 5512/29/2012

Oh, I vud say it's a very open liberal atmosphere. At least for me it was.

by Anonymousreply 5612/30/2012

I don't know much about Austria but if they're anything like Germans. Look out. I work for a company that has a lot of Germans working over hear with us. They are so cold hearted. Weird fucking people.

by Anonymousreply 5712/30/2012

I have never been to Austria myself, but here is a story for y'all ...

My ex had a friend from childhood, a non-Austrian himself, who had lived in Vienna for years. Said fellow, the guy's (Austrian) gf, my ex and I went to a nice restaurant in NYC for lunch. My ex left briefly to visit the mens' room at one point, so missed the Austrian lady - someone with a snooty job title with an international organization, NOT a hick/peasant by any means - take out her camera to snap a photo of (nearby) black people dining! Her bf got to her early enough to prevent an actual photograph to be taken. She wasn't particularly ashamed of herself, more like "what-EVER!"

by Anonymousreply 5812/30/2012

[post by racist shit-stain # 2 removed.]

by Anonymousreply 5912/30/2012

R57, R58 Yup Sounds about right. There is definately a Lot of racism going On, I myself dont Look German and I had alot of racist encounters mind you im Clearly caucasian just Not blonde n Blue eyed, what my Black Friends have to put up with is shit. And the people are cold hearted as fuck, in Order to be taken seriously u have to be arrogant and mean I am being serious! Also Austrians are very Cynic and get a boner from belittling ppl. Same with germans. Whenever I read such stories as above I feel so justified iny hate its so therapeutic can't wait to move away. Btw I haven't had an Austrian bf in ages, that's how much I'm put off.

by Anonymousreply 6012/30/2012

Sounds like Mainers.

by Anonymousreply 6112/30/2012

The Germans I work with just kill me. The stuff they spit out thinking that the person shouldn't be insulted. I should like them for it though but you just sit there waiting for the day you'll be the victim.

On one project a German woman was in charge. We were having a meeting. She looked at on of the other women in the meeting and said flatly and cold: "I don't know why you are in the meeting. You are not qualified to be here and can offer nothing worthy. You will just take up time.".

Then she just stared at her until she got up and left without having to be asked to. I mean every word was true but dam. The way she said it. There was no way it was meant to be insulting just completely factual and logical. Funny thing is the German gal is a hoot in a social setting. A butcher at work though.

Shudder. I can picture her delousing useless eaters. They fascinate me though.

by Anonymousreply 6212/30/2012

Germans tend to be a blunt people, meaning that they will just say shit that everyone is thinking but won't have the balls to stay out loud. That trait causes a few ruffled feathers in the Anglosphere.

by Anonymousreply 6312/30/2012

Vienna is a great city, I would love to live there if I could. Very artistic, culturally rich, great food culture. Restaurants and coffee houses are just the best. Vienna is a bit boheme and chic in a open, liberal thinking way. Great mixture of old and new culture. The annual Life Ball takes place in the town hall. So gay living is openly celebrated and does not have to hide. As a gay person it's probably OK as 10% of the population are gay. Not so sure about the rest of Austria. There are some areas that extremely conservative. You don't want to be caught dead there.

by Anonymousreply 6412/30/2012

Have you ever seen the public toilets in Saltzberg? (I was in graduate school there).

They are little holes drilled into the floor and you have to put your feet on two grooved surfaces, squat and shit into the hole in the floor. I'm not making this up.

by Anonymousreply 6512/30/2012

A friend of mine, who was born in Irak, spend 25 years of her life in Germany, then moved to London. She once said to me Germans say what they think even if it is unpleasant. In London people are always nice. But when you leave the room they start badmouthing you. She lives in Amsterdam now BTW.

by Anonymousreply 6612/30/2012

R65 -- that is known to be found in France, too.

by Anonymousreply 6712/30/2012

As mentioned before Austria is downright obsessed with keeping its own traditional identity intact (like France, for example, which has lost that fight thanks to the high rate of Muslim immigrants who refused to assimilate and instead brought the good and the bad from their - religious fanatic - culture with them). That obsession got right wing pundit and polititian Joerg Haider into his powerful position until he died in that car crash (one of the last places he visited was a gay bar trying to hook up with one of the patrons - he also is rumored to have hired BelAmi's Tim Hamilton on a regular basis / his party refused to appoint Haider's obviously gay protege as his successor). And of course the big cities are more open minded than the little villages.

Me and my parents drove through Austria to get to Slovenia (Ex-Yugoslavia) and made a stop at a local restaurant in a little village in the 80s. My dad (who ended up being an alcoholic) ordered a beer to his meal and when he asked for a second he got a non-alcoholic beverage without any words exchanged. As a kid I thought that was funny and a considerate way of telling my dad "don't drink and drive'.

To this day Bavaria and Austria's countryside and lifestyle are like one giant Hummel figurine diorama.

by Anonymousreply 6812/30/2012

[quote]They all fit a pattern so far - small dicks, big balls, nice nipples.

What are their buttocks like?

by Anonymousreply 6912/30/2012

Very rare these days, R67

by Anonymousreply 7012/30/2012

Austria has always been very tightly buttoned. Until 1918 its nobility was the most restrictive in Europe: if you didn't have the 16 quarterlings (both grandparents on both sides born noble) you weren't invited to court balls, etc. That attitude of breeding filtered down throughout Austrian society. So when, for example, SS enrolment required 16 aryan grandparents, it was easy breezy for Austrians. Outsiders will always be outsiders in Austria.

by Anonymousreply 7112/30/2012

We love Vienna and would love to settle there someday. The people are very pleasant and the food is fantastic. The weather is not that great though, nasty winters and hot humid summers.

From what we could see during our frequent visits there twenty years ago, there are no drugs - so perhaps it is not appealing to 'out' homosexuals.

by Anonymousreply 7212/30/2012

[quote]Have you ever seen the public toilets in Saltzberg? (I was in graduate school there).

You lived in Salzburg yet can't spell the name of the city? And no, there is no "alternative" spelling.

by Anonymousreply 7412/30/2012

"It's soooo Catholic"

"So very religious.... soooo very Catholic"

1 - Austria (like the rest of Europe) is a much more secular than the US.

2 - According to statistics (look them up) Church attendance in Austria is a fraction of what it is in the US.

3 - There are 11 countries in the world were same-sex marriage is universally recognized: Argentina, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Iceland, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, South Africa and Sweden.

Of those 11 countries, 5 are predominately Catholic.

Portugal, Spain , Belgium and Argentina are particularly identified culturally with the Church.

Other countries that have same sex marriage in certain regions are (Besides the US) Mexico (Catholic) and Brazil (the country with the world's LARGEST Catholic population).

Bills are pending in Uruguay, France, Colombia.... all predominately Catholic.

What some of you don't seem to understand, is that most Catholics today identify themselves culturally with the Church...with it's rites and traditions... but not with many of it's teachings.

And that includes Austrians.

by Anonymousreply 7512/30/2012

German speaking Countries in general do not like Gays. Germany is bad, but Austria is worse.

by Anonymousreply 7612/30/2012

R76 "German speaking Countries in general do not like Gays."

Berlin ( Germany's largest city) is probably the gayest city in Europe...if not the world. Starting with it's mayor Klaus Wowereit (in office since 2001) .... gee... SOMEBODY voted for him...

In fact Berlin is the world's largest city with an openly gay mayor

It should also be noted that Hamburg (Germany's second largest city) was governed by an openly gay mayor from 2001-10.

by Anonymousreply 7712/30/2012

Europe is closeted, not gay-friendly place.

by Anonymousreply 7812/30/2012

As an openly gay person you are probably way better off then in most European countries than in the US. Especially in the big cities. New born christians, creationists or mormons are considered as conservative religious weirdos in most of Europe. And I wont even start talking about scientologists ueberweirdos Tom Cruise and John Travolta.

by Anonymousreply 7912/30/2012

R79, then why there are so few openly gay men there comparing to US?

by Anonymousreply 8012/30/2012

[quote]She once said to me Germans say what they think even if it is unpleasant. In London people are always nice. But when you leave the room they start badmouthing you. She lives in Amsterdam now BTW.

No one talks shit like the Dutch. They hate everyone more or less equally, and if you give them a beer or two they'll be more than happy to tell you why in great detail.

by Anonymousreply 8112/30/2012

I liked New Years in Vienna

by Anonymousreply 8212/30/2012

Austria is very scenic.

by Anonymousreply 8312/30/2012

Sounds like our own community R81!

by Anonymousreply 8412/30/2012

Frankfurt, Germany too. A gay JEWISH mayor.

by Anonymousreply 8512/30/2012

And Germany's got an out gay Foreign Minister. No big deal.

Always baffling to see how unwilling ppl are to at least try to understand a country's quirks. Like the guy who waits for his fresh strawberries. Well, this maybe so 'South German', but this guy at least understood, that greenhouses and transports via trucks through Europe harm the climate. On top of that, he still got the taste buds to realize the significant difference. Cudos to him.

But it's always easier to hate, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 8612/30/2012

Cujos to him!

by Anonymousreply 8712/30/2012

R86, where do you get the "hate" from in my post (I'm R33)?

He's my father-in-law for Christ's sake, and nothing I said was in any way negative or hateful. It was a rather neutral observation.

by Anonymousreply 8812/30/2012

I spent a few days on vacation in Vienna earlier this year and it was not the old, sleepy, quiet city everyone says it is. It was brimming with young couples with children and young people generally. Artists and indie types everywhere. It was like Austin with museums.

by Anonymousreply 8912/30/2012

R44 gets my hate, not you R33. :)

by Anonymousreply 9012/30/2012

Mercer Quality of Living Survey* ranks cities for quality of life.

On their survey, Vienna is again the highest ranked city in the world.

Cities are ranked on the following:

Political and social environment (political stability, crime, law enforcement)

Economic environment (currency exchange regulations, banking services)

Socio-cultural environment (censorship, limitations on personal freedom)

Medical and health considerations (medical supplies and services, infectious diseases, sewage, waste disposal, air pollution, etc.)

Schools and education (standard and availability of international schools)

Public services and transportation (electricity, water, public transportation, traffic congestion, etc.)

Recreation (restaurants, theatres, movie theatres, sports and leisure, etc.)

Consumer goods (availability of food/daily consumption items, cars, etc.)

Housing (rental housing, household appliances, furniture, maintenance services)

Natural environment (climate, record of natural disasters)

*Mercer is an American global human resource and related financial services consulting firm, headquartered in New York City. The firm operates internationally in more than 40 countries, with more than 19,000 employees, and is the world's largest human resource consulting firm and is ranked as one of the most prestigious consulting firms in the world. Mercer is a subsidiary of Marsh & McLennan Companies.

by Anonymousreply 9112/30/2012

I have two Austrian born friends, both women, both lesbians. Both claim alcoholism is rampant in the more rural areas. Any truth to this?

by Anonymousreply 9212/30/2012

Well, you have to remember, they ARE behind the times.

Instead of meth and prescription drugs, in rural areas over there, they still drink.

by Anonymousreply 9312/30/2012

I would not consider a nation who used to round up gay men and murder them in concentration camps and yet still today refuses to give gay citizens full equal rights .... A QUIRK...... R86. More like lingering Nazi driven homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 9412/30/2012

I hooked up a few times with a hot Austrian pilot. He was crazy hot, but definitely very closeted, and he said almost all of Austria had that sort of deep conservatism and closetedness to it. He flew to the States as often as he could to get to a place where he could get away from that.

There's a reservedness that I've seen in Austrian men, Swiss men and some rural German men that tells me they've had a very conservative upbringing. (But dear mios, those men are fucking HOT to me.)

Germany is way more diverse than most Americans view it. We think all the lederhosen, leg slapping, etc is German but in reality that's more prevalent in Bavaria (Southern Germany) which is more conservative and in some ways like our own southern states.

There's also the city/country differences as we have here. Berlin and Munich are more metropolitan. Other parts of the country would be considered "flyover country" by most DL queens.

by Anonymousreply 9512/30/2012

Refuses to give gays full equal rights? What?

With the exception of adoption, in Austria cohabiting same-sex couples the SAME rights as unmarried cohabiting opposite-sex partners.

And the latest polls show 49% of the population in favor of same-sex marriage.

by Anonymousreply 9612/30/2012

"I work for a company that has a lot of Germans working over hear with us. They are so cold hearted. Weird fucking people."

We're not cold-hearted, dummy! We just have no patience for your whiny adult baby habits when you're in the office.

by Anonymousreply 9712/30/2012

R94 Yawn. Another one who learned nothing during the last 60+ years. Next. Wait. Please, do enlight me how exactly the US gives full equal rights to same sex couples? In every single state? Now. Next.

by Anonymousreply 9812/30/2012

[qoute]Vienna is the best conservative place in the world, a perfect place to grow old in, beautiful, slow and somehow perfect.

Correction: Vienna is the best conservative place in the world, a perfect place to grow old in, for [bold]straight White WASPS[/bold].

There fixed it for you.

by Anonymousreply 9912/30/2012

(R99 does not understand what the term WASP means)

by Anonymousreply 10012/30/2012

R99 Thank you, Redundant Department of Redundancy.

by Anonymousreply 10112/30/2012

r99 -- Austria is a Catholic country. Not much interest to WASPs.

by Anonymousreply 10212/30/2012

[quote]Both claim alcoholism is rampant in the more rural areas.

Where is alcoholism NOT rampant in the more rural areas?

by Anonymousreply 10312/30/2012

R80 LOTS of openly gay politicians, actors, celbs, TV personalities. You are ignorant and don't inform yourself enough about gay life in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 10412/30/2012

R81 has it right. Having lived and worked in Germany, Austria and the Netherlands nobody, but nobody, tells you to your face quite what he thinks like a Dutchman. Blunt speaking (aka rudeness) is a national virtue.

The fun really starts when the Dutch go abroad and forget to adapt.

by Anonymousreply 10512/31/2012

Maybe they really are just roommates and good friends?

by Anonymousreply 10612/31/2012

German leader Angela Merkel refuses to give Gay German even basic tax equality, never mind gay marriage, however Austria is still even worse than Germany.

Not as much has changed since the 1930s-40s as people think.

by Anonymousreply 10712/31/2012

It's true not much has changed since the 1930/40s. Gays are still required to wear a yellow triangle for identification. They still occasionally round gays up to be gassed and burned (although environmental activists are pushing for the use of lethal injections).

by Anonymousreply 10812/31/2012

So typical of Germans, great on the Environment bad on people.

by Anonymousreply 10912/31/2012

[quote]Having lived and worked in Germany, Austria and the Netherlands nobody, but nobody, tells you to your face quite what he thinks like a Dutchman. Blunt speaking (aka rudeness) is a national virtue.

I'm working on a project with a Dutchman right now. I know him, and I know that he's a nice enough guy and a generally decent fellow, but if you read all his emails and took them at face value, you would be convinced that he's biggest asshole on the planet. Even when he's trying to be positive and upbeat, he can't resist tossing in some weird little phrase or modifier that completely changes what he's trying to say and turns it into something negative.

The last one was actually him being cheerful that he was almost finished with a task and happy about how it turned out, but a superficial reading of the email gives you the impression that he's sitting there contemplating doing a Van Gogh and slicing his ear off.

by Anonymousreply 11012/31/2012

Eh. Americans are almost all on some "anti-depressants". People who aren't, seem "negative" to them. You're the freaks.

by Anonymousreply 11112/31/2012

R107 You have the same tax situation when you are gay than when you are hetero. Married gay couples don't get the same tax incentives. Also gay married couples are not allowed to adopt as a couple, only one of the partners can adopt. I think unfortunately these are still the two main differences between hetero and gay/lesbian couples in Germany.

by Anonymousreply 11201/01/2013

"The fun really starts when the Dutch go abroad and forget to adapt."

lol, true

by Anonymousreply 11301/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!