Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Did I dream this movie?

It was about a psycho little girl who kills her family members one by one and no one knows she's the one doing it. I think she had brown braids. She throws a toaster into the bathtub while her mom is taking a bath. At the end she takes a pizza cutter and runs it along the stair railings while on her way to her sister's room.

Did this movie really exist or do I just have an overactive imagination.

by Anonymousreply 8805/17/2014

I seem to remember that as well, but for the life of me, can't recall the name. I googled the scenario and the movies/tv shows that come up are Arrested Development, Ghostbusters 2, Tommy Boy, and Hannah and Her Sisters. I'm going with the last choice.

by Anonymousreply 202/07/2011

It sounds good, OP. Can't wait to see it.

by Anonymousreply 302/07/2011

Yes, Arrested Development, that's it!

by Anonymousreply 402/07/2011

It's something like "Don't make a noise in the dark." The grandmother gets killed by an iguana and the brother falls off the roof. The evil sister died in a car crash and hates her family for it.

by Anonymousreply 502/07/2011

R4 here. It's "DON'T GO TO SLEEP."

by Anonymousreply 602/07/2011

I meant it's R5.

by Anonymousreply 702/07/2011

I saw that movie late one night on TV when I was a kid. Valerie Harper is in it. It scared me silly. Especially that part where the she puts the iguana under the grandma's covers as she sleeps and it somehow killed her.%0D %0D Here, OP...relive the past on youtube:

by Anonymousreply 802/07/2011

I think what makes this movie so scarey is that demonic spirits are a reality. I have never had an experience with one and I hope I never do. This movie kept you wondering. Is this a real demonic spirit, or is this Mary's imagination running away? In the ending, the spirit shows itself to Laura (Valerie Harper) and she screams in horror. Scared the crap out of me. The acting could have been better, but overall the movie was well written.

by Anonymousreply 902/07/2011

For over 20 years I have described this movie to every scary movie enthusiast I met, not knowing the title. No one had ever seen it. This movie freaked me the hell out as a kid, and has stayed quite vividly in my mind ever since (I am still nervous around pizza cutters). I'm so relieved to know the title and will attempt to get a copy. For anyone who enjoys scary movies, this is a must see! It really did a number on me.

by Anonymousreply 1002/07/2011

[quote]I think what makes this movie so scarey is that demonic spirits are a reality.%0D %0D (making coo-coo motions and pointing at R9)%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1102/07/2011

Its so fun solving the mysteries of TV memories that get blurred. I have this memory of seeing a scary scene on TV when I was a child. It always stuck with me. In it a man wearing a white hat climbs through the window of a dark old house..and thats all I remember, but I know it was very terrifying.%0D %0D So flash forward 30 years and I'm watching DVDs of the 70's TV show Kolchek: The Night Stalker and I see that scene! It was exactly like I remember. So I look at the DVD box and it originally aired in March of 1974. I was 18 months old. And in those days what you saw was what you got...there were only 4 channels. So I have to believe that I saw it on or around that date. %0D %0D In the episode a politican sells his soul to Satan and Kolchek crawls through that window and discovers him engaged in a I saw my first Black Mass at age 18 months.

by Anonymousreply 1202/07/2011

Why is there no sound on the youtube clips?

by Anonymousreply 1302/07/2011

Sounds similar to a movie a saw on Elvira's old 80s show - THE GODSEND. A couple end up raising a stranger's child who one by one kills off their natural children. But that little girl was blonde.

by Anonymousreply 1402/07/2011

Thanks, everyone. Now I know I didn't imagine the whole thing. Funny thing is after reading the message boards, there are so many people who saw this movie as a kid and think they imagined the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 1502/07/2011

r11, surely you mean cuckoo?

by Anonymousreply 1602/08/2011

Seriously R9, you are nuts. Go read a history book and come back to reality. The only truly scary creatures that exist in this world are humans.

by Anonymousreply 1702/08/2011

My mystery was solved on Datalounge too. The one where those African dolls come to life.

by Anonymousreply 1802/08/2011

I remember the bathtub scene!

by Anonymousreply 1902/08/2011

I saw it recently (Netflix?) and the movie really holds up.

by Anonymousreply 2002/08/2011

I don't think iguanas kill people. Maybe it was supposed to be a Komodo dragon.

by Anonymousreply 2102/08/2011

When I was a kid I saw a movie where a man hid under a little girl's bed with a knife. For years afterwards I was afraid to sit on my bed and let my feet dangle over the side.

by Anonymousreply 2202/08/2011

I completely remember the pizza cutter scene! I think it went up the banister, cutting through the telephone cord (remember those?) on the way. Multitasking!

Also, i am pretty sure it was an iguana that killed poor granny, R21. I guess her heart gave out in surprise.

by Anonymousreply 2302/08/2011

I bet it was an ABC movie of the week. Those things rocked.

by Anonymousreply 2402/08/2011

The iguana crawled up grannies cooter and ate her from the inside.

by Anonymousreply 2502/08/2011

How can you get killed by an iguana?

by Anonymousreply 2602/08/2011

R9 is clearly insane.

by Anonymousreply 2702/08/2011

I think their saliva produces a bacterial infection but I suppose they do bite, so if it was really hungry...

by Anonymousreply 2802/08/2011

Man, as a teenager I soooo wanted Dennis Weaver to be my hairy daddy fuck buddy and fuck me senseless and let me endlessly suck his big hairy cock and giving me all his cum.

by Anonymousreply 2902/08/2011

Could you be a little more specific, r29?

by Anonymousreply 3002/08/2011

I loved those ABC movies. There was one with a "black widow" woman who killed her husbands (at the end, her daughter has a black widow birthmark under her navel). And another one (it was a double feature) that had a turtle/tortoise that some kids find, carve their initials on the shell, and at the end, it's a giant boat sized tortoise with tiny initials etched in that swims away into the depths of the ocean. I can't remember the plot for the life of me, but it was a sad one.

by Anonymousreply 3102/08/2011

I saw that movie (Don't Go to Sleep) when I was really little , about 5 or 6, I could only half remember it and like the OP was never sure if it was real, weird huh?

by Anonymousreply 3202/08/2011

Written by stepson of DL fave Van Johnson.

by Anonymousreply 3302/08/2011

The little ghost girl in Don't Go to Sleep was very scary. When she's there under the bed - eek!

by Anonymousreply 3402/08/2011

I totally remember this movie, OP. I love the fact that half of DL was apparently sitting around the TV on that same night, so very many years ago.

by Anonymousreply 3502/08/2011

[quote]For over 20 years I have described this movie to every scary movie enthusiast I met, not knowing the title. No one had ever seen it. This movie freaked me the hell out as a kid, and has stayed quite vividly in my mind ever since (I am still nervous around pizza cutters).

Are you in your mid-30s? I am and watched this as a kid and it stuck in my mind, too.

[quote]There was one with a "black widow" woman who killed her husbands (at the end, her daughter has a black widow birthmark under her navel).

CURSE OF THE BLACK WIDOW starring DL faves Patty Duke and Donna Mills as sisters. One of which transforms into a giant black widow spider!

by Anonymousreply 3602/08/2011

I totally remember this and no one else I talk to does! But, I was very young. In fact, I didn't remember it as a ghost story as described here but thinking it was just a movie about a bunch of people in a family dying randomly. I think I even thought the flashback, with the tied shoelaces, took place later on in the movie. I either just saw bits of it or was too young to pick up on the actual plot. But I will NEVER forget that bathtub scene and the way the dad shook just before he died.

by Anonymousreply 3702/08/2011

There was one movie I saw as a kid that I barely remember, but it freaked me out at the time. I think it was a ghost story that took place in Victorian England. Someone was murdered and their was a blood stain on the marble floor. Someone kept trying to clean it, but it would reappear darker than before. I think the last time it reappeared it was a turquoise color.

by Anonymousreply 3802/08/2011

Nobody's been able to help me with my "did I dream it" movie... making me think I might have. But I know I didn't.%0D %0D I grew up in Columbus Ohio, way back in the 70's. I was young, so early 70's, and there was a local afternoon movie show on WBNS TV, Channel 10 (CBS, back when there were only four stations!) called "The Early Show, with Flippo The Clown." They showed old movies every afternoon.%0D %0D Well, once day I got home from school late, so I missed the beginning of the movie, but it was a sci-fi movie. Like 50's really bad/cheesy sci-fi. About men going to Mars. Their ship was just a cylinder on a tripod with stairs up to the door. There were two aliens out there... the three astronauts go out to investigate.%0D %0D One alien looked sorta like an upright octopus on a pedistal, with a huge "eye" that was a flashing light. Each tenticle ended in a flat plate I think. It was flashing the light at the astronauts, and one of them looked right into it, and it fried his eyes. He screamed and collapsed to his knees, his eyes looking really scary.%0D %0D The other alien was like a giant sphere that split open, sent out a tenticle, and snagged the man who got flashed and dragged him in.%0D %0D The remaining two astronauts flee to the ship, and look out the window. They were able to reposition an antenna on the top of their ship that put the octopus/squid-shaped alien in shaddow... it droops, making them think it was solar powered. But they were out there trying to lure the astronauts back out.%0D %0D As a young kid, these scenes freaked me out so much I turned it off. I was so scared. %0D %0D I have no idea what movie it is, I've never been able to figure it out through all my internet searching... and for all I know this scary scene (which I remember going on for a while... at least 15-20 minutes) could have been just a brief scene in a movie that had little to do with a mission to mars (hell, I probably have the planet wrong).%0D %0D If this sounds familiar to anyone, I would be forever thankful if I can finally put this mystery to bed.%0D %0D I'd love to see it again and see just how ridiculous and laughable it is now, given how terrified I was by it as a child.%0D

by Anonymousreply 3902/09/2011

"So I have to believe that I saw it on or around that date."

Or you caught it in repeats years later.

by Anonymousreply 4002/09/2011

I don't think so, R40. I remember that I saw that scene while watching TV in my grandparents bedroom with my grandpa and it had to have been before 1975 because they moved out of that house in '75.%0D %0D I totally remember being a toddler...drinking a bottle while watching Sesame Street, the whole bit.

by Anonymousreply 4102/09/2011

Thanks for mentioning this, OP. It looks like lots of fun.

by Anonymousreply 4202/09/2011

"I don't think iguanas kill people. Maybe it was supposed to be a Komodo dragon."%0D %0D No, iguanas don't kill people. I had some friends who had one as a pet. It was a very sedentary animal. Its diet consisted of things like lettuce and bugs. It was kept in a a large cage, but they let it out sometimes to move about the house. It posed no threat to them at all, although they made sure to wash their hands after handling it in order not to get sick from the creature's bacteria. %0D %0D If somebody put an iguana in somebody's bet the person would probably scream in horror, but nothing much else would happen. The iguana would probably be scared to death, too. %0D %0D That movie sounds pretty stupid. Putting an iguana in somebody's bed to kill them? Pretty damned silly.

by Anonymousreply 4302/09/2011

Iguanas love fish and rancid, old grandma pussy probably confused the iguana into thinking it was some day old trout. Nom nom nom!

by Anonymousreply 4402/09/2011

This thread reminds me of a movie which title I totally forgot but scared me as well. It's about a young men who goes back to the village he grew up in. His grandmother tries to convince him to leave but he doesn't want to. The villagers all act strangely and, after some investigation, he realises that the graves in the cemetary all have the same date of death. Turns out that each year on the same day, a name is picked and one of the villagers is stoned to death in order to keep peace and prosperity in the village. He also learns that his mother was stoned when he was a young child and his grandmother had to rescue him from his mother's arms. Freaked me out !!

by Anonymousreply 4502/09/2011

r36 it was Patty Duke who turned into the spider.

by Anonymousreply 4602/09/2011

That an 85 year-old Ruth Gordon shows up ("Bernice") in this flick, makes me yearn to see it.

by Anonymousreply 4702/09/2011

Just watch it on youtube, R47. I did so the other night. And I'm thinking that Mary was mentally unstable after the death of Jennifer and when they moved into the new house there was a malevolent, non-human spirit that took advantage of it. No way that that was the actual spirit of Jennifer.%0D %0D Also, Mary left the bathroom before the radio fell into the tub, so I think the demon was behind that. I also think the demon killed the little boy (the kid from Poltergeist!)%0D %0D Also, what was up with that pizza? It was half pepperoni, half something black. And it didn't look like olives.

by Anonymousreply 4802/09/2011

R45, that sounds like the plot of Shirley Jackson's novella "The Lottery."

by Anonymousreply 4902/09/2011

For R45:%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 5002/09/2011

I can't believe it. I also thought I was the only one to see this on tv. And the pizza cutter scene is what I vivdly remember. I wonder why only the gays remember it?

by Anonymousreply 5102/09/2011

I also have a movie that I might have dreamed. It was about a son seeking revenge for the death of his father. I remember the son being very hot and hairy. The ghost of the dad tells the son that it was his uncle who murdered him. The son then returns to fight the uncle and throws him to be eaten by hyenas. I could have sworn Whoopi Goldberg was in this movie too. No, it wasn't Ghost. Did I dream this whole thing?

by Anonymousreply 5202/10/2011

Sounds like Hamlet...%0D

by Anonymousreply 5302/10/2011

What was the name of a similar one with Robert DeNiro and (dare I say it) Dakota Fanning?

by Anonymousreply 5402/10/2011

I caught a movie called Alice, Sweet Alice one night with another evil child but the ending confused me a little.

by Anonymousreply 5502/10/2011

Well I suppose using an iguana isn't really all that different than the other 70s goto, the tarantula, which will only kill you if you have an allergic reaction to their bite, otherwise it just hurts like hell.

by Anonymousreply 5602/10/2011

Remember all the hysteria over killer bees invading the US? A handful of people have been killed by them. Not quite the deadly swarm the media put forth.

by Anonymousreply 5702/10/2011

R54--the movie with Dakota Fanning, Robert DeNiro and Famke Janssen was "Hide and Seek."%0D %0D It's actually a pretty nifty little movie and worth a look.

by Anonymousreply 5802/10/2011

Omg seriously I am so relieved that others are so disturbed by this movie as I was. Seriously I have had this movie in my head for years. Like all of you I saw iton tv, never knew what it was called, and have been haunted by it since. So greatful for some people that can relate and for some answers. Holy cow this is so crazy

by Anonymousreply 5912/11/2012

Can anyone solve this one? Scared me to death as a kid. Involved the Bermuda triangle and a guy in the water who kept getting picked up by boats. The boats would then all disappear. The guy in the water was always pictured waving, in the last scene he is in a priest's outfit, waving from the water.

by Anonymousreply 6012/11/2012

The Bad Seed?

by Anonymousreply 6112/11/2012

I saw it as a kid, too. The pizza cutter freaked me out! I eventually forgot it... Until...

by Anonymousreply 6212/11/2012

My movie was about a guy in a wheelchair who buys an apartment building of old people and wants to kick them out.

To get revenge, the old people trap the guy's wheelchair in a building under construction and fill the box with cement.

Once it dries and he's died, they realize part of him is sticking out of the concrete slab and they cut the body part off with an ax.

Help me, DL, you're my only hope!

by Anonymousreply 6312/11/2012

R60--I remember that one! I was just talking about it with my boyfriend the other night. It was called "The Devil's Triangle" and it was about the Bermuda Triangle. Two rescuers (Coast Guard?) find a yacht abandoned in the you remember the dead body dangling by a rope from the yardarm (the rope was tied around his ankles so it was hanging upside down!) Then they found Kim Novak (?) hiding in the boat and she told them the story about how everyone on the ship was killed. It was REALLY scary...especially the end, when you realize that the Kim Novak character was possessed by the devil and she was sneaking up behind one of the rescuers laughing a deep, evil, male laugh!

by Anonymousreply 6412/11/2012

R60--the movie was actually called "Satan's Triangle" and it WAS Kim Novak. I've got to see it again. I will never forget how scary it was.

by Anonymousreply 6512/11/2012

I only want to see the pizza cutter scene. Any links?

by Anonymousreply 6612/11/2012

Two things. First, that is so funny that you said "Did I dream this movie" because for the longest time I thought I had dreamed it! I Googled "movie with little girl kills family" and this was the second link. I howled laughing. I guess I am not the only one with whom the toaster in the tub stuck with. But I remembered it was the dad, not the mom in the tub. And I remembered the iguana. Hahaha!

by Anonymousreply 6705/16/2014

Ugh, I remember this too. I hated to see how the father wound up in the end, a hopeless drunk from all the deaths. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 6805/16/2014

Hahahaha Oh but it was a radio.

by Anonymousreply 6905/16/2014

[quote]There was one movie I saw as a kid that I barely remember, but it freaked me out at the time. I think it was a ghost story that took place in Victorian England. Someone was murdered and their was a blood stain on the marble floor. Someone kept trying to clean it, but it would reappear darker than before. I think the last time it reappeared it was a turquoise color.

r38 - That's based on Oscar Wilde's "Canterville Ghost" and it is a hoot to watch the ancient duke as a specter match wits with the New Americans who land in England with sunny optimism and patent medicines.

by Anonymousreply 7005/16/2014

r63, I know your post is a year and a half old but the movie you're looking for is "Homebodies" from 1974. Never on DVD but it's in parts on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 7105/16/2014

The final scene of "Don't go to Sleep" is terrifying. The girl who played Jennifer was damn scary!

by Anonymousreply 7205/16/2014

R63 ,,,, your movie is called 'Homebodies'

by Anonymousreply 7305/16/2014

Does anyone remember a b/w horror film where a hand comes out of the ground from someone's grave?

by Anonymousreply 7405/16/2014

'The Screaming Lady' with Olivia DeHavilland,

Watch the last few minutes, R74

by Anonymousreply 7505/16/2014

Really, r73?

by Anonymousreply 7605/16/2014

Mine is a time traveling witch thing. Modern woman goes to her family's old hometown (or something). Turns out they were witches or accused of being witches and she relives their persecution.

The scene I remember scaring the shit out of me was when they put planks on top of her and keep piling rocks on top of them, crushing her until she either confesses or dies.

Does anyone know what it's called? Something Something Farm, maybe?

by Anonymousreply 7705/17/2014

R77, it's not "Something Something Farm".

"Something Something Farm" is about a pioneer woman born with three legs who has one leg forcibly amputated by the town council/church.

Then she is coerced into marrying the town's most eligible bachelor. At the wedding she discovers they're all satanists and everyone's eyes glow red.

After her wedding night - where she suffers anal penetration from an anatomically turgid crucified christ statue - she fires a priest-blessed bazooka at the group as they observe one of their rites.

Then, she beats the survivors with her severed third leg.

The ending scene features whistling and slo-mo scenes of her doing cartwheels with a loosely tethered rotting leg tied around her waist.

Lovely story with great vocals by Slim Wittman.

by Anonymousreply 7805/17/2014

Here is mine. A little girl is highly influenced by the other girls around her, they peer pressure her and her younger brother on a dare to introduce themselves to an eccentric old lady who lives alone. They do as told, but in fact the eccentric lady is just lonely and is delighted two children introduced themselves. She asks if they like parties and cake and of they would like to have a party and invite all their friends. They wink to each other, never intending to really come to a party at the old ladies house. They run back to the mean girls and get a big laugh.

Days later, we see the old lady joyfully baking cakes and cookies, making decorations, hanging streamers, etc. As the afternoon progresses, we see the old lady sitting sadly at the party table, realizing she has been stood up. It's brutally sad, she looks desperately lonely and made an extravagant old fashioned children's party spread. Meanwhile, the girl and her brother were reprimanded by their mother for following along with the mean girls and demanded they go to the old lady's house to apologize.

When the doorbell rings the old lady is happy to see the two children, and they apologize on behalf of all the children, none of which is attending. She invites them inside anyway, and we see the three of them have a fun time by themselves playing games and eating treats.

by Anonymousreply 7905/17/2014

Lol@ R30

by Anonymousreply 8005/17/2014

Did I dream this movie? It was about witches. They came to town to eat the little children but since it's Halloween no one knew they were real witches. They blend in and eat the children. They are so delighted that there are so many little children running amok at night. One of the younger witches jumps up and down yelling "Amok, amok, amok!" as they snack on all the children.

by Anonymousreply 8105/17/2014

Sorry R71 - R76 ....... you beat me to it !

Loved 'Homebodies' it was constantly on cable.

Always though a 'prequel' about 'Mattie' (I think) as a younger woman/child would've been interesting.

I picture her as a 'Rhoda Penmark' type back then.

by Anonymousreply 8205/17/2014

Don't Go To Sleep, starring Dennis Weaver and Valerie Harper, released around 1982

by Anonymousreply 8305/17/2014

r77, Your movie is "Crowhaven Farm." It's a good one! Available on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 8405/17/2014

I just watched the first 30 seconds. Funny how many scary movies back then opened with a family going somewhere in a wood paneled station wagon. Burnt Offerings immediately comes to mind.

by Anonymousreply 8505/17/2014

I couldn't even watch beyond the credits, R85. Christ, they didn't even know how to edit the music over the title cards ...

Shot of vehicle driving on freeway --- laid back music.

Title care -- Dennis Weaver ..... SILENCE

Shot of freeway surrounded by buildings ... more laid back music

Totle card --- Valerie Harper ... SILENCE

Fucking annoying.

by Anonymousreply 8605/17/2014

R77, was your film made cheaply in the late sixties or early seventies? I think I saw something like that on "Creature Features", but I don't remember the title or actors or anything.

by Anonymousreply 8705/17/2014

[quote] Can anyone solve this one? Scared me to death as a kid. Involved the Bermuda triangle and a guy in the water who kept getting picked up by boats. The boats would then all disappear. The guy in the water was always pictured waving, in the last scene he is in a priest's outfit, waving from the water.

There was a Night Gallery episode like this. A man dressed up as a woman in order to escape the Titanic as it sank. He is rescued -- three years later by a ship called the Lusitania. He tries to warn them that they will be torpedoed, but no one will listen. He ends up in a lifeboat again. This time, he is picked up by the Andrea Doria...

by Anonymousreply 8805/17/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!