Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

LA Times 50 Most Beautiful Women

Do you agree?

by Anonymousreply 9409/28/2013

Why did they use such a bad pics of Jolie and Theron?

Great picture of Blake.

I don't really agree with some on the list (Hathaway? - she's pretty but top 50?), but they are all beautiful women.

by Anonymousreply 102/06/2011

I don't agree with some and I'd switch around the order, but pretty good. WHERE is Anita Ekberg? That woman was a goddess in her prime. Or Mamie Van Doren.

by Anonymousreply 202/07/2011

Though she didnt live long enough to make a lot of movies Sharon Tate had the most perfect,beautiful face !

by Anonymousreply 302/07/2011

This thread will go up to 600 in no time.

by Anonymousreply 402/07/2011

Is this a "in no particular order" thing?

Because if not, Marilyn Monroe, Kim Novak, Lana Turner, Natalie Wood and CZJ all need to be higher. Anne Hathaway is lovely, but she does not outrank them.

by Anonymousreply 502/07/2011

What the fuck is Hathaway doing on this list.

by Anonymousreply 602/07/2011

What is Crawford doing as #10, ranked higher than Ava Gardner and Rita Hayworth? I think not, Crawford herself knew she wasn't a great beauty.

by Anonymousreply 702/07/2011

If judging on the picture submitted, AJ wouldn't make the top one million...

by Anonymousreply 802/07/2011

Why isn't Pamela Anderson #1????

by Anonymousreply 902/07/2011

Hathaway doesn't belong on the list. Period. She isn't beautiful. She can make herself attractive, but it takes effort.

by Anonymousreply 1002/07/2011

Ingrid Bergman should be on there somewhere. She may be no Anne Hathaway, but still...

by Anonymousreply 1102/07/2011

The higher on the list I noticed the more boyish looking the women became...look again and you will see what I mean...

by Anonymousreply 1202/07/2011

I say absolutely no to Ali McGraw, Kim Basinger and Brigitte Bardot. And Brooke Shields was a beautiful young girl. She outgrew her beauty. %0D %0D It's easy to point to young women in their prime, and say they are great beauties, because they have youth and freshness. But the mark of a true legendary, world class beauty is that she is so essentially beautiful, it transcends time and age.%0D %0D I have nothing against any of them, except Brigitte who's such a racist, but their attractiveness didn't hold up, and that's really the true test. %0D %0D Was Lena Horne included? Was Raquel Welch on the list? Was Jane Fonda? All of them are far more attractive than Ali, Kim, or Brooke. What about Fanny Ardant and Juliette Binoche? What about the Indian actress Aisharwaya Rai? I think that's how it's spelled.

by Anonymousreply 1302/07/2011

Ursula Andress should be on that list.

by Anonymousreply 1402/07/2011

[quote]The higher on the list I noticed the more boyish looking the women became...

Not at all. I think what you consider "boyish" is just boys who look like girls.

by Anonymousreply 1502/07/2011

R13, Brigitte Bardot complained about the destruction of France's way of life by the massive muslim immigration who is not integrating to French society but instead demanding French laws to become muslim laws. %0D %0D She has complained about the treatment of animals in slaughterhouses where cows and sheep are bleed to death alive in the Muslim way, and not stunned like they used to be under French law. %0D %0D This is the NEW definition of a "racist".

by Anonymousreply 1602/07/2011

Where the fuck is Winona Ryder?

by Anonymousreply 1702/07/2011

There is something wrong -- shockingly wrong -- with that list.

Please, dear fans, write to L.A. and let it know that a certain glamourpuss, famed star of The Young and the Restless, was omitted from a single digit spot and America will turn into Egypt if this is not corrected.

I am not available for photos just yet, but should be photographable in about three weeks, so schedule accordingly.

I love you all. And thank you for you love and support, especially during that time about which we cannot speak.

by Anonymousreply 1802/07/2011

Especially for R16: %0D %0D [italic]...Bardot made homophobic and racist remarks in the book. She wrote that gays were %E2%80%9Cfairground freaks who jiggle their bottoms, put their little fingers in the air and, with their little castrato voices, moan about what those ghastly heteros put them through%E2%80%9D [/italic]%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1902/07/2011

Liz Taylor, Audrey Hepburn, Ava Gardner, Marilyn, Charlize, Angelina, Vivien Leigh, Rita Hayworth, Halle Berry, and snubbed Raquel Welch should have been TOP 10 with Sophia Loren at 11 and Natalie Wood at 12.%0D %0D Others who were snubbed and should have been there before freaking Adjani:%0D %0D Genevieve Bujold%0D %0D Jean Harlow%0D %0D Isabella Rosellini%0D %0D Candice Bergen%0D %0D Joan Collins%0D %0D Janet Leigh%0D %0D Ann-Margret%0D %0D Grace Jones%0D %0D Angela Basset%0D %0D Jacqueline Bisset%0D %0D Gina Lollobrigida%0D %0D Jennifer Jones%0D %0D Jane Russell%0D %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 2002/07/2011

In whose world is Joan Crawford more beautiful than Catherine Deneuve??? And Catherine Zeta-Jones and Natalie Wood as the bottom two? No way. The whole list needs to be re-ordered.

by Anonymousreply 2102/07/2011

I thought the list was fucked up too until I realized that it's alphabetical from Z - A. Thus Zeta Jones at 50 and Isabelle Adjani at 1. %0D %0D Is that how the Times did it?

by Anonymousreply 2202/07/2011

Oh my you are SO right r22.%0D %0D Post it on the site as well, there are zillions clamoring the order is wrong!%0D %0D Still I stand by my list of ladies that should have been there before Adjani.

by Anonymousreply 2302/07/2011

Glad to see Adjani at #1. She and Emmanuelle Beart were the two great French screen beauties of the 1980s. No one looked like Adjani, just no one.

But why isn't Nastassia Kinski on the list? Have people forgotten about her? Also, Milla Jovovich, who technically qualifies as an "actress."

by Anonymousreply 2402/07/2011

by Anonymousreply 2502/07/2011

Ali McGraw and Julia Roberts??? Ali was homely as hell and Julia looks like a fucking gape mouthed horse.

by Anonymousreply 2602/07/2011

That picture of Angelina Jolie is hideous. Waxy and scary.

by Anonymousreply 2702/07/2011

Michelle Pfeiffer should have been higher.

by Anonymousreply 2802/08/2011

wow when you put it that way r16 I guess I am too.

by Anonymousreply 2902/08/2011

What about Eva Mendes and Gabrielle Union?

by Anonymousreply 3002/08/2011

R29 and r16 are just stupid bigots like Brigitte.%0D %0D %0D %0D Which is funny because she hates gay guys like you.%0D %0D %0D %0D That bitch got the face she deserved - an ugly one.

by Anonymousreply 3102/08/2011

Oh Please . In what ring of hell is Joan Crawford more beautiful then Marilyn Monroe? Was this list composed by trained monkeys that randomly picked out photos for treats?

by Anonymousreply 3202/08/2011

It must be alphabetical because if La Liz isn't in the top ten and Joan "Vodka and Shoulder Pads" Crawford is more beautiful than Catherine Deneuve this list is meaningless.

Anne Hathaway? Really? I like her as an actress but no.

by Anonymousreply 3302/08/2011

Brooke Shields, JLo, Beyonce, Farah Fawcett, and Blake (OMG) Lively aren't "in film". They're more famous for other ventures. The inclusion of Lively reeks of her management company making a lot of calls.

Julia Roberts is not beautiful, never was.

Gong Li is absent.

Liv Ullmann is absent.

Someone has a bone to pick with Angelina with that photo.

Winona Ryder is absent.

Geena Davis had a short career but she was a true beauty.

Also missing:

Charlotte Rampling, Marion Cotillard, Dominique Sanda, Vanessa Redgrave, Julianne Moore (seriously), Angela Basset, Thandie Newton.

by Anonymousreply 3402/08/2011

It's reverse-alphabetical, which accounts for the lower rankings of Elizabeth Taylor, Ava Gardner and Rita Hayworth (who may be my Top 3).

I'd also argue for the inclusion of Ann-Margret and Raquel Welch, and maybe even the young Yvonne de Carlo, who should have been a bigger star on looks alone.

But let's face it: even Marilyn can't compete with this:

by Anonymousreply 3502/08/2011

Yvonne de Carlo, before she went into TV comedy and became permanently known as Lily Munster:

by Anonymousreply 3602/08/2011

One more: Ann-Margret, who took the sex symbol from the girdled, coiffed 1950s ideal of Marilyn Monroe and introduced the sexy, looser 1960s:

by Anonymousreply 3702/08/2011

"But let's face it: even Marilyn can't compete with this"

Oh but She could... Trying to Compare Marilyn's beauty with Taylor's is like trying to select the most gorgeous rose in a garden. Or the most beautiful painting in the Tate Gallery. It's a matter of personal taste with no definitive answer. .

by Anonymousreply 3802/08/2011

I didn't catch that it was alphabetical either, R39. We're used to seeing countdowns.

I agree, Ann-Margret and Janet Leigh should be included.

Candice Bergen and Winona Ryder? Geena Davis? Meh. Pretty, but not top 50.

I can see arguing that Ali MacGraw doesn't belong on the list, but she is [italic]not[/italic] homely. She's adorable.

by Anonymousreply 4002/08/2011

They posted it in alphabetical order? How stupid.

by Anonymousreply 4102/08/2011

Someone on that site wrote "monica bellucci - over-rated"

I have no words!

by Anonymousreply 4202/08/2011

These lists and People's Sexiest issues are ridiculous. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and everyone's ideas of it is different. That said they have a lot of no's on that list.

by Anonymousreply 4302/08/2011

The site at the link isn't the original source of the link so who knows if they used those pics or not. The one of Jolie is hideous. %0D %0D I'm glad to see so many fans of Ann-Margret on this site (I shouldn't be surprised). She was truly beautiful.%0D %0D For a long time I didn't get the appeal of Ali MacGraw, but I can appreciate her looks now.

by Anonymousreply 4402/08/2011

I agree that they are beautiful women, but that's about it.

by Anonymousreply 4502/08/2011

That's not the author, the Los Angeles Times Magazine is the author. This dude's reposting the list, generating hits on his site.

Here's the real thing.

by Anonymousreply 4602/08/2011

Candice Bergen in her younger days was beautiful. I would have added Winona too.

by Anonymousreply 4703/18/2011

I can't stop laughing ... Monroe, Taylor and Loren - 3 of the most iconic women ever - in the bottom 40s under the likes of Anne Hathaway!

by Anonymousreply 4803/18/2011

The particular order could be debated forever.

All good choices to be on the list, except, IMO, Julia Roberts and Ali MacGraw.

Beyonce and Jennifer Lopez are beautiful, but not sure they should be on a film list, especially Beyonce.

The pics of Jolie and Kidman are horrible.

Great pic of Brooke Shields.

by Anonymousreply 4903/18/2011

Not big stars,but Barbara Parkins and Pamela Tiffin were real beauties in the 60's. They should have been on that list for looks alone.%0D %0D I also can't believe that Jacquelyn Bissett and Sharon Tate weren't included.%0D %0D Joan Crawford and Angelina are barely normal looking.

by Anonymousreply 5003/18/2011

where the hell is Gong Li. she should be in the top 10.

by Anonymousreply 5106/16/2011

Shoot. %0D %0D Someone could have slipped Paula Prentiss in there. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 5206/16/2011

Dietrich should be on that list. Not Joan Crawford.%0D %0D Of the thousands of beautiful pics of Jolie why, you have to ask, was that picture chosen?

by Anonymousreply 5306/17/2011

that list is super white. who the hell is eva green?

by Anonymousreply 5406/17/2011

[quote]who the hell is eva green

She was in [italic]View to a Kill[/italic], the woman from the Exchequer who was keeping an eye on James Bond while he gambled. She was also in [italic]the Golden Compass[/italic] playing one of the witches.

by Anonymousreply 5506/17/2011

Linda Darnell%0D %0D Olivia de Havilland%0D %0D Ann Sheridan%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 5606/17/2011

ANY list without Gong Li. is crap.

by Anonymousreply 5712/26/2011

Elizabeth Taylor, Marilyn Monroe, and Brooke Shields should be in the Top 10.

by Anonymousreply 5812/26/2011

Lay off Joan, she was the essence of female beauty in the 1930s...

by Anonymousreply 5912/26/2011

My beauty had an exotic quality.

by Anonymousreply 6012/26/2011

I would not have agreed with Adjani as No1, but after seeing her in POSSESSION I'd say she deserves the spot. It takes a beautiful face to look as good as she did in those harrowing close up shots. It's such a shame what she did to her face.

by Anonymousreply 6112/26/2011

This list is fucking bullshit! I'm prettier than that skank, Joile!

by Anonymousreply 6212/26/2011

More than half of those women had some kind of plastic surgery.

Someone should do a "most beautiful unaltered faces" list, really.

by Anonymousreply 6312/26/2011

I guess Shelly Winters wasn't beautiful enough.

by Anonymousreply 6412/26/2011

Julia Roberts??? Farrah over Marion Cotillard?? Anne Hathaway over Ursula Andress or Julie Newmar??

I also agree that Gong Li (which really should be Li Gong to us Westerners) should be included, as well as Joan Chen. And Aishwarya Rai, (who is much more beautiful than Frida Pinto).

But I suppose this is a list of Western actresses.

by Anonymousreply 6512/26/2011

Anne Hathaway? I wonder how much money exchanged hands to make that happen.

by Anonymousreply 6612/26/2011

[quote]Anne Hathaway?

I hate how these, let's say, good looking actresses are shoved down our throats as immense beauties. What makes it even worse is that they lack any personality and have the sensuality of a wood plank.

by Anonymousreply 6712/26/2011

I haven't looked, but I will eat my hat if there is a black girl on there that isn't Halle, Rihanna, Beyonce, or Alicia Keys.

by Anonymousreply 6812/26/2011

Sophia Loren should have been first.

by Anonymousreply 6912/26/2011

This is a list made by straight women.

by Anonymousreply 7012/27/2011

For their token Asian, I would have gone for Shu Qi who is a fascinating mix of girl next door and slut.

by Anonymousreply 7112/27/2011

Lists like this are meaningless ans stupid, but here's my view on some of these choices.

Brooke Shields - she was beautiful for about 15 minutes when she was VERY young. But she got more and more trannyesque-looking over the years and now she looks like a man in drag.

Ali McGraw - nothing special at all.

Jennifer Lopez - WTF? Has anybody seen what she looks like without makeup? She NOTHING to look at; not one outstanding facial feature, no character at all, just a nondescript round face.

Blake Lively - again, nothing special at all.

Nicole Kidman - pretty at one time but not beautfiful. And she destroyed her face with plastic surgery.

Beyonce - no big deal, pretty average, really.

Anne Hathaway - with the big mouth and those big eyes, she looks like a freaking muppet!

Julia Roberts - huge mouth, gangly and horsey

Farrah Fawcett - her hair was what made her special; her face was ordinary

Penelope Cruz - duck lips!

Joan Crawford - NOT beautiful! Striking in a way, but never, never "beautiful.'

Sharon Tate put to shame half the women on that list and she wasn't even mentioned.

And where was Lena Horne? She was much more beautiful than Halle Berry or Beyonce.

by Anonymousreply 7212/27/2011

Both Catherine Deneuve and Natalie Wood should have been in the Top 10.

by Anonymousreply 7312/27/2011

Where are ? Beatrice Dalle Isabelle Huppert Anna Magnani Nastassja Kinski

by Anonymousreply 7412/27/2011

I'm glad to see Eva Green on there, she is absolutely smoking hot, and has a fantastic, natural European body. See "The Dreamers", and you'll see every inch of it, including her beautiful natural breasts.

Link NSFW.

by Anonymousreply 7512/27/2011

There's an old B. Bardot movie on right now on TCM.

It's interesting: she really was not beautiful in her prime. Sexy, yes, with a great body and poise, and very stylish. But her face is broad, oddly shaped, and not classically beautiful at all. In heavy makeup, she resembles one of the Landers sisters in their 1970-80s prime.

She has the kind of sexy/slutty doll appeal that straight men go for but women and gays usually don't care for. But I guess that's what made her an international star.

by Anonymousreply 7609/28/2013

Blake Lively and no Ingrid Bergman? WTF

by Anonymousreply 7709/28/2013

Eva Green is sexy but not beautiful. These lists are so subjective. Julia Roberts?? She had her moments but I wouldn't give her a second look. Nicole Kidman, is simply pretty, that's it. Speaking of which, was Grace Kelly on this list? I don't feel like looking at it again.

by Anonymousreply 7809/28/2013

Lana Turner and no Sharon Tate?

by Anonymousreply 7909/28/2013

Grace Kelly was in the middle. Elizabeth Taylor was in the 40s.

by Anonymousreply 8009/28/2013

The list is alphabetical!

I agree with most of the list--Adjani, Bellucci, Cardinale, Christie, were stunning in their prime. I would NOT put Hathaway, Lopez, Lively, Beyonce,Farrah, or Roberts on the list.

Julianne Moore, Thandie Newton, Jane Fonda (gorgeous in the 60s), Winona Ryder, Ingrid and Isabella, Zhang Ziyi, yes.

I guess she hasn't made any American films, but Aishwarya Rai is truly one of the most beautiful women in the world today.

by Anonymousreply 8109/28/2013

Ann-Margaret should be on this list. She should be # 1 actually.

by Anonymousreply 8209/28/2013

You HAVE to watch the video clips that the mag selected for each woman.

Very compelling evidence.

Kim in LA Confidential, Isabelle Adjani in Queen Margot, etc etc.

by Anonymousreply 8309/28/2013

Nicole Kidman until she started with the surgery is the most beautiful woman I've ever seen in my life.

But it's all a matter of taste. You really can't single out one woman as the "most" beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 8409/28/2013

I saw Taxi Driver about a week ago and Cybill Shepherd looked amazing in that movie. Looked better in the 70s than most of these but this is an example of including certain types and current people. It was never going to be definitive. I mean Blake Lively? Pretty enough but purely there to create some Twitter buzz for the article a few years ago when this came out.

by Anonymousreply 8509/28/2013

No Sophia Loren?

by Anonymousreply 8609/28/2013

Gong Li of China before Zhang Ziyi.

by Anonymousreply 8709/28/2013

Julia Roberts????

by Anonymousreply 8809/28/2013

r86 She's up there, #32, and I'm not surprised you missed her. She's almost unrecognizable in the photo.

by Anonymousreply 8909/28/2013

Natalie Portman ranks higher than Liz Taylor?!

JLO is even on the list?!

Blake Lively is on the list and ranked higher than Michelle Pfieffer?

Beyonce @ #25? Ok, gurl.

Anne Hathaway (Sad Clown Face) is @ 19? Her agent is working overtime.

Eva Green looks like a guy.

Jennifer Connelly has always been plain and anorexic looking. Faye Dunamaway's cheekbones could mop the floor with her.

Not sure about being in the #1 spot, but Isabelle Adjani is definitely top 5 material.

Where is Catherine Deneuve?

by Anonymousreply 9009/28/2013

Oh wait, it's alphabetical.

by Anonymousreply 9109/28/2013

I agree with number one.

Camille Claudel is on my top ten favorite films of all time.

by Anonymousreply 9209/28/2013

Sorry, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. However, if Nicole Kidman is your most beautiful woman you have ever seen, I'd say you need to get our more R84.

Cybill Shepherd was very beautiful, she is all but forgotten in film unfortunately. Most people think of her as a TV actress.

by Anonymousreply 9309/28/2013

No Marilyn Monroe?

No Greta Garbo?

And Anne Hathaway?! She looks like a fucking muppet!

What a stupid list.

by Anonymousreply 9409/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!