Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I Can''t Wait to be Thin!

I'm 37 and nearly 300lbs (yeah I know). I've tried just about every diet around and now I made up my own. Every day for lunch this week I've eaten a whey protein bar and washed it down with a large jamba juice. How soon should I expect to lose weight? TIA.

by Anonymousreply 8712/08/2012

Well, that will work NOT.%0D %0D Go to Weight Watchers. Do as you are told and in 2 to 3 years you will be at a desirable weight. That's right, you cannot do it overnight. You can and should eat in healthy and enjoyable manner slowly bringing yourself to a more fabulous you.%0D %0D The time goes very quickly when you are making steady progress and see the changes in yourself.

by Anonymousreply 102/05/2011

Excellent advice R1. Not an easy thing to do but well worth it. Good luck OP.

by Anonymousreply 202/05/2011

OP,if you want to lose weight and eat all you want- YES, ALL YOU WANT, of wonderful healthy foods, go on the Let's Do Lunch program. It's simple, it's fast, it's delicious.%0D %0D I kid you not.

by Anonymousreply 302/05/2011

How tall are you, OP?

I ask because there are so many manorexics on DL.

Your diet plan/daily-recommended caloric intake should be designed according to your height. Otherwise, your body will go into starvation mode and you will not lose the weight. Also, start exercising by walking vigorously for twenty minutes a day and move up from there.

Trust me. I know.

by Anonymousreply 402/05/2011

uh, OP, what about vegetables?

by Anonymousreply 502/05/2011

And I can't wait to push the fucking rock over the fucking hill.

by Anonymousreply 602/05/2011

[quote] Every day for lunch this week I've eaten a whey protein bar and washed it down with a large jamba juice. How soon should I expect to lose weight?

Um, never. Your food cravings will quickly overcome your willpower, and you'll soon be back to eating as much as you were before.

You need to do two critical things if you're serious about losing weight:

1) EXERCISE. Doesn't have to be anything more, to start at least, than spending an hour a day walking around your neighborhood, but no diet on earth truly works without an exercise component, regardless of what bullshit diet books might tell you.

2) EDUCATE YOURSELF about food intake. You vaguely mention a "large Jamba Juice" without noting that some versions of Jamba Juice are nearly as unhealthy as a McDonald's milkshake: tons of fat, tons of simple carbs, and no nutritional value to speak of. Do NOT assume that everything there is healthy just because that's their marketing pitch.'

3) EAT NORMALLY. No, I certainly don't mean filling your gut with fat-laden meat, but starving yourself with diet food is the surest way to stay fat. Lean meats (e.g. skinless chicken, turkey and bison) are a great way to consume high-protein foods without the fat. Ditto most types of whole beans (black, navy, white) - great protein sources.

by Anonymousreply 702/05/2011

I think you might have set an unattainable goal for yourself, OP. I'm not saying you can't do it, but it will be hard to go from 300lbs to thin. Why not shoot for fit, healthy weight or good shape?

by Anonymousreply 802/05/2011

In about three months there should be some significant weight loss, as you rot away six feet under, of course.

by Anonymousreply 902/05/2011

WHAT are you getting from Jamba Juice? They have high caloric products there too so if you're slamming down the Choco Forest with a Whirl O'Fat stirred in Power size you're not really going to lose any tonnage.

by Anonymousreply 1002/05/2011

Cut down on the pop and any other sugary drinks and drink lots of water.%0D %0D Eat lots of fish and chicken and vegetables.%0D %0D Walk. walk. walk.%0D %0D If you have a craving for pizza or whatever have it but in small doses. That means one or two slices of pizza, every once in a while, not a large all for yourself everyday, piggo.

by Anonymousreply 1102/05/2011

True dat R4. I started walking everywhere about three years ago. I immediately lost 40 pounds in about 9 months of walking about 90 minutes a day without stopping. I average a 20 minute mile. Now I walk about 6 miles a day and at least 9 on the weekends, both days if I can manage it. I love every step.

by Anonymousreply 1202/05/2011

Americans are so stupid.

by Anonymousreply 1302/05/2011

I lost 63 lbs on Weight Watchers Online for Men last year...I am not that disciplined. It was pretty easy...

check it out

by Anonymousreply 1402/05/2011

We know about lunch, OP. What do you have for breakfast, dinner, and in-between snacks?

by Anonymousreply 1502/05/2011

Free to run around all day!%0D %0D Free to do it all my way!

by Anonymousreply 1602/05/2011

My friend did the whey protein bar/jamba juice diet.

And then she died.

by Anonymousreply 1702/05/2011

300 LBS? Good Lord fatty, how on earth did you get into this mess.

by Anonymousreply 1802/05/2011

Doesn't matter how he gained it. He is trying to lose.

by Anonymousreply 1902/05/2011

R11 said pop. How quaint.

by Anonymousreply 2002/05/2011

wow, a regular rocket scientist r19 is

by Anonymousreply 2102/05/2011

Jamba juice is fattening as hell.

by Anonymousreply 2202/05/2011

For the love of God, won't somebody please feed me a big, juicy turd?

by Anonymousreply 2302/05/2011

OP you're not going to lose any weight if you're eating less than 1700 cal/day. That's going to make your body think it's starving, so it will hold on to all the fat it can.

If I were you I'd try for eating 1900-2000 calories (made up of whole grains and fresh vegetables, fish and fruit; NOT made up of Jamba Juice and protein bars) per day. And exercise; walking is fine.

by Anonymousreply 2402/05/2011

Hey fatties, there are actually non-fat drinks at jamba juice. Not everyone gets a peanut butter smoothie.

by Anonymousreply 2502/05/2011

[quote]Doesn't matter how he gained it.

Actually, it does. The reason or reasons that you gained the weight may offer clues as to how to modify your behavior so you can lose it.

by Anonymousreply 2602/05/2011

OP, I am behind you 100%, and thank g-d not literally. As others mentioned, you need to start walking, burn those calories.

by Anonymousreply 2702/05/2011

and cleanse OP. cleanse...a strong colonic irrigation will get rid of that macaroni and cheese that's been stuck in your colon for the last four and a half years.

by Anonymousreply 2802/05/2011

I stopped going to Jamba Juice when I read their nutritional information. Some of their drinks have over 100 grams of sugar!!! And several have 100+g of carbohydrates, most of it pure sugar. Beware, even their "all fruit" drinks contain a lot of high-sugar fruit juice, they aren't pure fruit.%0D %0D Go to the farmer's market, buy loads of vegetables and whole fruits. Eat them somehow, and you'll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 2902/05/2011

Assuming this is not a parody post OP, it is about calories OUT not calories in. Pro athletes eat daily, like it is Christmas at the All You Can Eat Buffet.

Run 5 miles a day and spend 2 hours in the gym, doing cardio, not sitting on the machines talking. What you eat is secondary.

by Anonymousreply 3002/05/2011

Op - please look into SparkPeople. It's free and very supportive. Track your food for a few weeks - you'll be amazed at what you shove down your throat.

by Anonymousreply 3102/05/2011

"What you eat is secondary."%0D %0D Bullshit. %0D %0D Eating a lot of garbage and junk food a day is not going to cause weight loss, even if you spend hours at the gym Been there, done that. %0D %0D You have to eat fairly clean in order to see any results, including weight loss and visible muscle definition.

by Anonymousreply 3202/05/2011

What r7 said. Adding a few points:

Avoid "bad starches" and any processed food that isn't a low-sodium, low-fat carrier for a literal shit ton of fiber.

Avoid sugary juices and sodas, and drink the diet things sparingly.

Learn to love "good carbohydrates," esp. sweet potatoes and brown rice.

Get into your head that your focus is on being healthy, not on being thin.

Exercise for more reasons than losing weight -- improved mood, regular BMs, better skin, etc.

Give yourself a night to cheat.

Avoid beating yourself up and throwing the baby out with the bath water if you slip.

Exercise is your anchor, as r7 said. If you can make yourself exercise every day, you'll be less inclined to cheat. Find exercises you enjoy and make it as fun for yourself as possible, even if it's just listening to music that makes you want to dance while you walk.

Get to bed at a reasonable hour to avoid late-night snacking. Most nights, I give myself one after-meal snack, an apple, and it's amazing how well an apple satisfies me.

The progress will be slow but enjoyable -- you wont hate your life -- and it will be much, much easier to maintain over the long run.

by Anonymousreply 3302/05/2011

Well, OP, you are GOING to have to wait to be thin. I started the Great Loss last month over 300#. I have a goal of 2# loss a week. I am anticipating it to be about a year. I am keeping to 1500-2K cal/day. Higher protein as to diminish muscle loss. 1st month, 19#. A lot of it was beginners water weight. I know it will even off and then I'll adjust. But PERSEVERE!

by Anonymousreply 3402/05/2011

OP, everyone can be on a diet for a few months, a year, the problem is to keep eating less for the rest of your life. Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 3602/05/2011

God some of you people piss me off.

Getting in shape does NOT have to involve 2 hour workouts or 6-9 miles of walking a day. Telling people bullshit like that is why a lot of fatties don't even try.

I go to the gym 5 days a week, but I am rarely there longer than an hour. I alternate cardio and weights. When I do cardio it is usually a max of 3 miles on the treadmill or elliptical.

I'm 6' and weigh 170 with a 32" waist and look pretty damn good. If it took two hours a day and 6-9 miles at a time I wouldn't stick with it either.

Hell, even without joining a gym, walking for 20-30 minutes a day will get you in decent shape.

Most of you have the "diet" part right though. Starving yourself is NOT the answer, as your body will just become more efficient at storing fat. AND you will be more likely to cave and eat a whole pizza or carton of ice cream because you're deprived yourself.

Cut back on saturated fat and red meat, eat more fruits and vegetables, switch from white bread, pasta, and rice to the brown/whole grain varieties, and snack on fruit/nuts/yogurt instead of candy bars and potato chips. Eat what you want but in REASONABLE portions, and don't have seconds. Eating a salad before any meal is a great thing, as it will help you get full faster (as long as you aren't throwing a bunch of cheese and ranch dressing on it).

Most importantly, have patience. To get weight off safely and KEEP it off, you should not be losing more than 1-2 pounds per week. Expecting immediate results will just cause you to give up, or result to unhealthy measures.

by Anonymousreply 3702/05/2011

[quote]How soon should I expect to lose weight?

Even as Soon as Tonight!

by Anonymousreply 3802/05/2011

r32 is right. You can work out like a fiend every day; but if you don't eat less it won't help.%0D %0D Remember, it's 80% diet and 20% exercise.

by Anonymousreply 3902/05/2011

What's a good homemade salad dressing that is not going to pile the pounds on for someone who has really bad GERD and can't use vinegar?%0D %0D I'm trying to eat a lot of salads but eating them dry makes them very unappealing. I can't just use a lot of EVOO at 120 calories a TBSP and I don't want to use a lot of salt either. %0D %0D I can't eat tomatoes but I can eat most other salad veggies but without dressing it's really hard, at least for me.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4002/05/2011

r40, I use half mayo and half salsa, mixed together, on my salads. It's good, and you cut calories. %0D %0D Cut even more calories by using lite mayo with the salsa, instead of regular.

by Anonymousreply 4102/05/2011

r40, you could try yogurt with some seasonings that you like, fresh or dried herbs or garlic. Those strained Greek yogurts they sell everywhere now are thick but still low-fat or fat free. If you can add the calories and flavor of a little olive oil, that could help.

by Anonymousreply 4202/05/2011

R23 is one of the reason's I love DL. Thank you.%0D %0D Good luck OP with all of Jamba Juices high fructose corn syrup.%0D %0D I have learned a thing or two about losing weight since I have been trying to do it my entire life:%0D %0D 1. Fast for an entire day or until you get a real intense HUNGER PANG. Study it, how it feels to you, where you feel it. Memorize how it feels.%0D %0D 2. Learn the MAJOR difference between being unsatisfied and actually being hungry. And since you know what real hunger feels like now, only eat when you are hungry. It takes a while, since food is a drug and we use it to satisfy any number of emotions.%0D %0D 3. Measure the size of your mouth. Compare it to the rest of your body. Notice how small it is. Then consider that a major source of your unhappines comes from what you indiscriminately shovel into that relatively small hole in your face.%0D %0D 4. Foster an intense hatred for anything that makes you fat and develop a paranoia that anything unhealty you put in your mouth will cause you to instantly balloon up to your previous size.%0D %0D 5. Finally, measure progress at weekly intervals realizing that the results of whatever you are doing today, you won't see until the exact time the following week. And if you cheat, all progress will be obliterated.%0D %0D This combined with exercise is the only way someone 300lbs will ever be thin.

by Anonymousreply 4302/05/2011

R40 I have really bad acid reflux issues as well, but Prilosec cleared that right up. I think you will also find that overeating is the worst thing you can do for heartburn.

Try the Prilosec, because I can't think of anything low calorie for a salad other than simple vinaigrette. One tablespoon of EVOO with a couple tablespoons of good vinegar (or citrus juice) with some herbs (garlic and ginger are my favorites) will spruce up any salad. Hell, even tossing in some dried fruit or nuts make it even tastier (and those are good calories).

Yeah, EVOO has fat and calories. But guess what? Your body NEEDS fat. Fat helps metabolize vitamins and minerals and eating SOME of it helps you feel full longer. Cutting it out of your diet completely is misguided. Stick with good fats though, like those that come in nuts, fish, and avocado. And cook with Olive or Canola oil instead of the higher saturated fat stuff. One tablespoon of EVOO will not hurt you.

Good luck with the heartburn. Hope Prilosec helps, because the oil/vinegar combo is MUCH better for you than creamy or store bought dressings. If you're dumping a ton of cheese and ranch dressing on your salad, you may as well just have a big cheeseburger.

by Anonymousreply 4402/05/2011

Great advice,r43!

by Anonymousreply 4502/05/2011

OK! I'll take the cheeseburger!

by Anonymousreply 4602/05/2011

I dress my salads in salt, pepper, and lemon juice. I also make a dressing out of avocado oil and balsamic, but that won't help if you can't tolerate vinegar.

by Anonymousreply 4702/05/2011

All you people out there with bad acid reflux, get tested for H Pylori, seriously. It's a simple test where you breath into a bag.

by Anonymousreply 4802/05/2011

Op, you first need to go back to your regular eating. For a week keep a food journal and write down EVERYTHING you eat. You then need to go to fitday or spark and find out the calories for everything you are eating.%0D %0D Then you will need to make adjustments. Finding out you are eating 4,000 calories a day may be an eye-opener. Finding out what you are eating and when my also be clues to the puzzle. Are you eating a lot at night, binging due to stress at work or is that 6th beer maybe too much. You need to take a hard real look at what you are putting in your body before you can fix it.%0D %0D Are you getting enough protein, drinking enough water, do you crave sweets? Once you get the answers to this, you may know why you can't be thin and start working to fixing it. %0D %0D You can start by walking and gradually add more workout time but usually food and the consumption of more calories in versus calories out is the problem.%0D %0D It could also be genetic, have to do with age or any medication you are on. When did you start tipping the scales? Where you fat all your life or just recently? What triggered it? Breakup? Loss? Are you eating your pain? %0D %0D There is a lot that you can uncover to help you lose this weight and keep it off. I could tell you how to lose it quickly but you would gain it back fast, do your homework, invest some time into you and do it smart.%0D

by Anonymousreply 4902/05/2011

I only consume calories in the form of liquor. I let AD/HD medication take care of the rest. (OP - get AD/HD.)

by Anonymousreply 5002/05/2011

r40, if you have GERD have you looked into taking probiotics? My acid reflux went away after a few weeks of pill supplements + kefir.

by Anonymousreply 5102/05/2011

Sounds like your only option is to go to some jungle, get malaria, have 150 pounds of explosive diarhhea fly out of your ass and then you can return to the US.

by Anonymousreply 5202/05/2011

Eat less. Move more.

by Anonymousreply 5302/05/2011

Weight Watchers is the way to go. They have reconfigured the program and it really pushes you to rely more on fresh fruits and vegetables and less on packaged 100 calorie snacks and the like. Follow the program (it's not hard) and you will lose weight and feel healthy.

by Anonymousreply 5402/05/2011

If you need someone to tell you not to eat pre-packaged, non-fat, low calorie snacks, then you are living in the wrong decade.

by Anonymousreply 5502/06/2011

"What's a good homemade salad dressing that is not going to pile the pounds on for someone who has really bad GERD and can't use vinegar?"%0D %0D I put a smidgen of sesame oil and the juice from a few tangerine segments into my "asian" salads. Or sesame oil and a bit of mild rice-wine vinegar; as long as the amounts are very small your stomach might tolerate it.%0D %0D But mainly, learn to dress your salads very, very lightly, because they all contain something that's bad for you in large amounts - oil or sodium or worse.

by Anonymousreply 5602/06/2011

We can only dream, OP.

by Anonymousreply 5702/06/2011

OP there's only one way to get thin, and that's by counting your calories. I'm already doing that at (I'll link it for you & anyone else).

I'm NOT dieting. I joined 3 weeks ago and I went from 244 to 237, and I haven't been starving myself. It's a free site, like spark people, but way better than SP. I never lost weight at SP, I think their interface was user unfriendly. MFP is way better.

by Anonymousreply 5802/06/2011

[quote]4. Foster an intense hatred for anything that makes you fat and develop a paranoia that anything unhealty you put in your mouth will cause you to instantly balloon up to your previous size.

That sounds like a recipe for an eating disorder.

by Anonymousreply 5902/06/2011

R40, I do something similar to R41 with half salsa and half fat free sour cream or fat free Ranch. I sometimes use just pico de gallo and lime juice on a salad without anything else. The problem is that tomatoes affect my GERD, so it might affect yours as well.

by Anonymousreply 6002/06/2011

R43 sounds nuts.

by Anonymousreply 6102/06/2011

to r24 and r58%0D %0D I keep a food journal to keep track of claories, fat, sat fat etc. On normal days, I have a problems getting to eat at least 1800 calories without eating shit food.typically I eat around 1300 cals and feel like I have eaten so much! What are some good healthy foods that are high in calories but still healthy? I eat almonds,walnuts and avocados to add good fat and they have some calories.%0D Thanks

by Anonymousreply 6202/06/2011

OP, the fact that you've posted this on DL makes me think you are suffering from something far worse than obesity; a form of advanced masochism.

by Anonymousreply 6302/06/2011

r24 I'm eating under 1400 cals a day and that's the way to lose weight.

I'm currently at 234 lbs from 244. I'm really happy about being lighter but you really can't see it yet.

by Anonymousreply 6402/09/2011

r37 is lazy and still fat no matter what he says.

by Anonymousreply 6502/09/2011

OP, I think you need to count cals at myfitnesspal and that will help.

by Anonymousreply 6602/09/2011

r58, you're doing well, and that's great.%0D %0D However, you ARE dieting.

by Anonymousreply 6702/09/2011

You should go on the pussy cheese diet.

by Anonymousreply 6802/09/2011

r67 I know that. I'm doing fine with my cal count. As you know studies say it's cal counts not exercise that leads to weight loss.

As I said, I don't think of it as a "diet" because I eat what I want. I just plan it all out there.

by Anonymousreply 6902/09/2011

My sister is on WW and constantly adding up points. I think counting calories is easier than counting points using that gizmo. I don't see how my sis can keep that up after she reaches goal.

by Anonymousreply 7002/10/2011

by Anonymousreply 7106/10/2011

are you still fat?

by Anonymousreply 7202/24/2012

I just lost 4 pounds on a European vacation (no breakfast/money) and I've finally gotten rid of my mini-gut.

by Anonymousreply 7306/15/2012

by Anonymousreply 7512/07/2012

Get your iOS or Android device. Go to the app store. Install "Lose It". Enjoy your new, lean bod.

by Anonymousreply 7612/07/2012

I've lost 90 pounds by cutting back to under 1500 calories a day.

My daily plan: 4 servings whole grain (serving = 1 slice bread, 1/2 cup brown rice or whole wheat pasta, or 1 cup whole grain low-sugar cereal). 4 servings vegetables. 2 servings fruit. 2 servings fat free dairy (skim milk or sugar-free, fat-free yogurt). 2 servings chicken or fish (1 serving is 3 oz.) 2 servings fat (a serving is a tbsp. oil or margerine or 2 tbsp. lite salad dressing).

No cake, cookies, candy, ice cream, sugary beverages, or booze. NO FAST FOOD.

I was previouslhy eating at least 3000 calories a day.

I'm losing 3 or 4 pounds a week, without doing any exercising.

by Anonymousreply 7712/07/2012

One year ago I weighed 325 pounds (5'4" female, 38). I am down to 220 as of today. Still fat as fuck, but I feel and look WAY, WAY better.

Here is how it happened:

Almost no alcohol. Alcohol in excess (and depression) is how I got so fat. Limiting or abstaining from alcohol is the #1 way I continue to drop pounds.

PAY ATTENTION to the voice in your head that comes from your stomach saying "I am full now" and don't ignore it. Whatever you are eating, stop. Save it for tomorrow. There will alwaye be more food.

Eat way smaller portions. Don't be a pig. There will always be more food. Your stomach will shrink quickly. Appreciate this little miracle, and work with it.

MOVE YOUR ASS. Anything you can do to get in extra movement, take advantage of it. I walk at least a mile every day, sometimes up to three miles, and I swim a mile every other day. That's 72 laps, bitches. I'm STILL the fattest one at our pool and I don't care. I can keep up with the best of them.

As far as diet, I don't eat any forms of sugar whatsoever. I eat vegetables, as many as I like, and lean proteins. If I am truly hungry I bump up the good fats. My diet is mostly vegetables, fish, eggs, chicken, lean beef and pork, raw almonds, greek yogurt, and a diet 7up once in a while if I have the rare sweet craving.

Worked for me.

by Anonymousreply 7812/07/2012

Forgot to add I rarely eat about 1400 calories a day, either, as someone upthread mentioned. To put things in perspective, I focus on my calories spread out over the week, not per day.

by Anonymousreply 7912/07/2012

The insensitivity and cruelty of some of the responses is truly mind-bending.

by Anonymousreply 8012/07/2012

R80 that is probably because the OP was a troll to start with. Jamba juice? Please.

by Anonymousreply 8112/07/2012

r81, I've seen other posts from DLers looking for weight loss tips, and they were responded to in the same way. Do you think that they could have been trolls too?

by Anonymousreply 8212/07/2012

Yes, most of them.

by Anonymousreply 8312/07/2012

I love you, r78. Congratulations! Great to hear that you feel so much better and move your ass around with pride.

Am 5'8", 50 yrs, and went from 215 lbs to 177 lbs in 3 months due to the presence of an inoperable tumor growing on my lower bowel. My diet was perfect -- except for the weekly jugs of Vodka. Couldn't eat solid food. Been on chemo for a month (it is working!!!)and now the idea of food further nauseates me.

With aspirations of becoming a bear daunted, am now hoping to get down to 150-160 but will always be a chubby chaser and pig bottom. Thank Goddess my Prostate was spared.

Looking forward to regaining strength so I can take long walks and swim again. Maintaining that weight will require not succumbing to alcohol or Jamba Juiceism.

by Anonymousreply 8412/07/2012

[quote]I'm losing 3 or 4 pounds a week, without doing any exercising.

Well, you're going to be flabby as fuck.

by Anonymousreply 8512/07/2012

Keep waiting.

by Anonymousreply 8612/07/2012

That's never going to work.

If overweight folks would just really get clear with diet, and change your habits, the weight will go away. Go vegetarian, or at least switch to a plant based diet with no processed foods, cut out sugar and begin to exercise. The weight will fall off.

You are fat not only because you eat too much, but you eat the typical fat inducing, poisonous American diet.

Read The Engine 2 Diet by Rip Esselstyn and forget all this damned fad diet bullshit and dangerous, expensive bariatric surgery.

The best and only proven 'diet' is lifestyle modification.

by Anonymousreply 8712/08/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!