Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Clay Aiken was happy in the closet

"There was this misconception that I was not out. I was in %E2%80%98Spamalot%E2%80%99 and everyone knew, but I don%E2%80%99t necessarily want to sit at a table with strangers and tell them. When you come out, you do it with people you are comfortable with. I definitely do see the liberation and understand the rationalization of people wanting me to be out. On the other hand, I wouldn%E2%80%99t say that coming out has made me happier because that implies I was not happy before and I was."

Clay Aiken, who's in the middle of his Tried and True Tour, takes the Jonathan Knight approach to celebrity's coming out: just because he didn't announce it doesn't mean he was in the closet. Uh huh

by Anonymousreply 7904/23/2013

I HATE American Idol and was sick of hearing this guy's name, but I was one of the people constantly barking at people when they kept hounding him about coming out.

I'm a gay guy and know what it's like being in the closet as much as I do about being out and proud now. I think they way they hounded this guy was loathsome and despicable. I think anyone has a right to remain as quiet about their personal and sex life as they want as long as they aren't criticizing others about their own, which he wasn't.

It wouldn't do the gay community, especially here on DL to just leave the man alone and of course, he finally just admitted what everyone ALREADY knew. Meanwhile, people like Anderson Cooper seem to get a pass, (well, except lately people are finally coming out and calling him out as the closeted fake he is.).

I've never listened to one of Aiken's songs but I wish him well, seems like a nice kid and I hope he reaches megafame status.

by Anonymousreply 102/04/2011

Plus, R1, his money & fame helps him get some hot pieces of ass - ass he would never otherwise get.

by Anonymousreply 202/04/2011

His record label just DROPPED him. He NEEDS headlines.

Whiney crybaby bitch bottom slut.

by Anonymousreply 302/04/2011

I sat near him one night as he was dining with his then boyfriend and Rosie O'Donnell.

That cleared up any doubts that I might have had. Tho I never did.

by Anonymousreply 402/04/2011

He was hounded by his own nutty fans on this issue. They kept posting things like, "I'll never stop beleiving Clay's 100% straight and still looking for the right girl, no matter how much my family and friends laugh at me." He pandered to them as long as he could, but they got louder and louder, accusing the press of "making up lies" about his sexuality and organizing hate mail attacks. I guess he felt like he had to fall on his sword to put an end to it. I wouldn't want all those weirdos chasing me either!

by Anonymousreply 502/04/2011

he's a douche.

by Anonymousreply 602/04/2011

How are his fan girls reacting now?

by Anonymousreply 702/04/2011

Clay couldn't hide he was gay. The gay rumors began as soon as he stepped on the American Idol audition stage. So as someone who was not ready to come out he was in a difficult spot. There are a ton of gay people who are there to scream he needs to come out yet when he does they walk away, they don't want to support him in any way, they will chime in on occasion to throw some nasty his way. His rumored homosexuality is why he lost because there was a dedicated heterosexual effort to vote AGAINST him. Every rumored gay contestant who has gone far in the competition like Adam Lambert and Clay Aiken has done better than their heterosexual counterparts because they had fans rooting for them while their heterosexual counterparts were the beneficiaries of negative voting.

by Anonymousreply 802/04/2011

Clay Aiken, who's in the middle of his Tried and True Tour, takes the Jonathan Knight approach to celebrity's coming out: just because he didn't announce it doesn't mean he was in the closet. Uh huh

That would also be the Portia Di Rossi method until she bagged the big one (Ellen).

by Anonymousreply 902/04/2011

"Clay Aiken, who's in the middle of his Tried and True Tour, takes the Jonathan Knight approach to celebrity's coming out: just because he didn't announce it doesn't mean he was in the closet. Uh huh"%0D %0D %0D %0D But Jonathan didn't lie and say he was straight, which is what Clay did. R9, Portia didn't lie either.%0D %0D %0D "I think anyone has a right to remain as quiet about their personal and sex life as they want as long as they aren't criticizing others about their own, which he wasn't"%0D %0D %0D %0D People have the right to remain quiet...but they don't have the right to force others to lie for them. If they media wants to print that someone is gay, they have the right to do so. It's called freedom of the press. He wasn't remaining quiet, anyway, he lied and said he wasn't gay. Lying and remaining quiet are two different things.%0D %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1002/04/2011

How are the Claymates doing? Did any commit suicide?

by Anonymousreply 1102/04/2011

Not to my knowledge, but some wanted to sue him.

by Anonymousreply 1202/04/2011

He was basically outed months before he came out when Rosie O'Donnell outed him herself in the blow-up with Kelly Ripa.

O'Donnell said "If that had been a straight man . . ."

by Anonymousreply 1302/04/2011

He was outed when he pissed off one of his tricks, who made the details of the evening public and tabloid-worthy. At that point some of his other hook-ups started spilling, eventually leaking nude webcam pictures to the tabloids.

by Anonymousreply 1402/05/2011

Sorry R14 but all of that is rumor that he said was lies about him. when he said those stories in the tabloids were lies he meant the hook-up claims by that crazed gay fan and there were no naked web-cams. That is a myth. All you have to do is think of the gorgeous hunks he dates compared to the trolls who would like you to think he hooked up and use your common sense. He doesn't and didn't need to give those losers the time of day.

He only denied being gay one time and never again. After that one time, right after season 2 in 2003, he regretted denying it and avoided answering, but he never lied.

He never ever said one bad thing about any LGBT and even while in the closet he supported and participated in benefits for AIDS relief including Broadway Cares, The Rosalind Carter Foundation and Elton John's AIDS foundation.

Since he came out 2 years ago he is an activist and an advocate for many gay causes, particularly for kids. GLSEN, "We Give A Damn" and for gay perents with The Family Equality Council.

by Anonymousreply 1502/05/2011

Give it a rest, r15; you're probably one of the Claymates who complied a lengthy list of "all the times Clay denied being gay."%0D %0D If you still think the tabloid web-cams were not of Clay Aiken, face excluded only because he was standing in front of his ubiquitous lap-top, you remain in denial of his activities. How do you think he found his latest?%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1602/05/2011

His latest is a friend of his drummer.

by Anonymousreply 1702/05/2011

R15 & 17 are really funny. They are big put-ons as Claymate impersonators. Great job!

by Anonymousreply 1802/05/2011

The whole 'being dragged out' ordeal just reinforces the idea that it's shameful. And it made the accusers look like bullies.

by Anonymousreply 1902/05/2011

R6 is right. He was already lawyered up while he was competing, looking to break the contract he just signed. He is only out now because he's desperate for publicity.

by Anonymousreply 2002/05/2011

R20, he was smart to get his own lawyer, the one the show provides them had a conflict of interest. How did coming out 2.5 years ago and losing 90% of his fans = getting publicity?

by Anonymousreply 2102/05/2011

No one put a gun to his head and made him sign the contract. Seperate from the show he's an oddity and a novelty act.

by Anonymousreply 2202/05/2011

Clay isn't odd, its the haters who are fucked up. If they just gave him a break like any other guy he'd be fine.

by Anonymousreply 2302/05/2011

"How did coming out 2.5 years ago and losing 90% of his fans = getting publicity?"

How do we know he lost 90% of his fans after coming out?

by Anonymousreply 2402/06/2011

R20, how can coming out publicity help anyone's singing career???

With coming out publicity more heterosexuals will buy his music and attend concerts? He doesn't need heterosexuals because gays (only 5-7% of population!) will spend more money on him?

Something else?

Please explain.

by Anonymousreply 2502/06/2011

He's right. Any celebrity that comes out instantly because Gay so and so... instead of so and so who happens to be gay.

by Anonymousreply 2602/06/2011

He probably thought the baby would win back some fans. Now he has to pay a small fortune in nannies for the next fifteen years.

by Anonymousreply 2702/06/2011

R1 nailed it 100%. %0D %0D I think it's really disgusting that two people in particular mocked his gay lifestyle: Kelly Ripa and Kathy Griffin.%0D %0D I don't consider Ripa a homophobe in any way, but I will always call bullshit on her "Germaphobe" excuse. (there are videos on the web of her putting her hand over Reege's mouth, licking her shoes, etc) She was pissed because Aiken put his hand over her mouth because she wouldn't shut up (as usual), so she went for the nastiest insult possible to humiliate him. Rosie called her out on it, and she had to backtrack.%0D %0D And Griffin calling him "Gayken" smacked of ignorance, coming from an alleged friend of the gays. Her excuse was that he was hiding in the closet, and she felt it was her duty to mock him.%0D %0D Both of these ladies, meanwhile, have had no problem putting on the bullshit act around Anderson Cooper. Particularly Griffin, who is a flat out hypocrite piling on the Rock Hudson-esque shit.

by Anonymousreply 2802/06/2011

He was rude and crude to put his hand over her mouth. I would never have reacted like Kelly Ripa though. I wouldn't say a single word but he would be on his way to the dentist in ten seconds.

by Anonymousreply 2902/06/2011

Yes, Griffin is indeed a hypocrite of the lowest order when it comes to Anderson Cooper.

by Anonymousreply 3002/06/2011

I don't blame Kelly for not wanting CA putting his hand on her mouth, or anyone for that matter. What is Clay, a six year old? Use your words, clay.

I agree there seems to be a double standard for AC- no surprise there, he is beloved, American Royalty.

by Anonymousreply 3102/06/2011

I love you, R11.

by Anonymousreply 3202/06/2011

"He probably thought the baby would win back some fans. Now he has to pay a small fortune in nannies for the next fifteen years."

Baby's mother is rich.

Yes, women love fathers and babies, but being openly gay singer is bad for business.

by Anonymousreply 3402/06/2011

Who, R33, AC? Anderson is special, I agree. Anderson can put his hand over my mouth anytime he pleases.

Kelly does not like that nasty white trash closet case, yuc having his hand in her face. Can't blame a girl. Blech.

by Anonymousreply 3502/06/2011

Watch it now someone is going to complain that he shouldn't work.

by Anonymousreply 3702/06/2011

Involved dad hasn't seen the kid in three weeks.

by Anonymousreply 3802/06/2011

Kinda wish Clay would elucidate on how things are like over where he is from in the Bible Belt when it comes to being a homosexual lady or gentleman.

Be nice.

Might be asking for to much at this point but it would be nice.

Prior to Larry King packing it in, he had an eppy about the school bullying. Wanda Sykes was on it, Kathy Griffin, and Lance Bass was on it for a bit. Lance Bass tried to speak of how things are like in the Bible Belt with issues of homosexuality and he is the only one I know of off hand who has done it asides from that one country singer whose name eludes me at this moment.

by Anonymousreply 3902/06/2011

Clay talked about it on Good Morning America, The Advocate, before Congress on behalf of GLSEN, at the HRC convention in 2009 and in various blogs and interviews since then.

Clay has also numerous PSAs for the Give a Damn campaign.

by Anonymousreply 4002/06/2011

Any pics of Mom out there?

by Anonymousreply 4202/06/2011

If everyone in Spamalot knew, he was out by real person standards (i.e. people he was around everyday knew) but not by celebrity standards.

by Anonymousreply 4302/06/2011

This is Mommy with Clay and Parker.

by Anonymousreply 4402/06/2011

r33, the operative word in your first sentence is, of course, "LET."%0D %0D r15, "rumor that he said was lies about him...." And Clay is the epitome of credible.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4502/06/2011

r51, you talk out of your arse. You are no more privy to Clay's child-rearing arrangements than the next stranger. And no, "Clay said so" is not "proof."

by Anonymousreply 4602/06/2011

Clay looked ridiculous in his first interview with Diane Sawyer when he denied being gay and then laughed that silly laugh. He then criticized Sawyer for asking him if he was gay, yet a year later he went back to her and revealed he WAS gay!

by Anonymousreply 4802/06/2011

R48, Clay, Diane Sawyer and her husband, Mike Nichols, are friends in real life. Watch the interview again, knowing that there was no friction and the question wasn't a surprise.

by Anonymousreply 4902/06/2011

R49, why did Clay laugh nervously at the question?

by Anonymousreply 5102/06/2011

R51, He probably couldn't believe she was asking him on the air when she already knew. He did say he understood that she had a job to do but didn't understand why it was anybody's business.

by Anonymousreply 5202/06/2011

Can anyone find a link to the interview? I searched on Youtube but I couldn't find it

by Anonymousreply 5302/06/2011

Part 1

by Anonymousreply 5402/06/2011

by Anonymousreply 5502/06/2011

Larry King tried to help Clay Aiken out of the closet in this interview. Go to the 2 and a half minute mark and watch from there:

by Anonymousreply 5602/06/2011

Yeah, R38 and "involved dad" flies off to London to stay in luxury hotel with flava of the month leaving his two year old at home the week after Christmas during his custody period, probably leaving the kid with grandma.

by Anonymousreply 5702/06/2011

Dear Clay:%0D %0D It's over.%0D %0D Karma's a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 5802/06/2011

Clay, you're PATHETIC! Trashy muff cabbage!

by Anonymousreply 5902/06/2011

R60, you are such a Claymate. Business the week after baby's second Christmas to go with generously endowed (to say the least) boytoy he spent the week before Christmas with and with whom bt's friend said he was "obsessed"?

by Anonymousreply 6102/06/2011

Why not, R61? If baby is away with Mom I don't see why he can't spend quality time mixing business with pleasure in London.

by Anonymousreply 6202/06/2011

Clay Aiken Has 'No Desire' to Record 'Any Time Soon' -

by Anonymousreply 6302/09/2011

His 6th album came out only 6 months ago. What's the rush, R63?

by Anonymousreply 6402/09/2011

It isn't so much "the rush", r64, as it is a revelation of Clay's complete lack of artisitc drive.

by Anonymousreply 6502/09/2011

Clay is so humble its a detriment to himself. He is the opposite of a fame whore or a Kanye type.

by Anonymousreply 6602/10/2011

A truly humble person does not mock others, whether a consensus is that they deserve it.

by Anonymousreply 6702/11/2011

Here he is doing "Magic Changes' from "Grease" in a Broadway tribute concert. I'd pay to hear him sing show tunes on Broadway and I'd bet a limited engagement would do just fine. Even the conductor turns around and has a look on his face like "Shit that boy can sing".

by Anonymousreply 6802/12/2011

Stop trying to sell him Claymates.%0D %0D It's embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 6902/12/2011

Wow reply69, your a big old bundle of damaged goods aren't ya?

by Anonymousreply 7002/12/2011

Feel better now R70?%0D %0D It doesn't change the fact that Clay is an ass.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 7102/13/2011

... He's fucking gay. Get over it.

by Anonymousreply 7207/14/2012

Oh STFU Clay, we have Lambert now who is far more talented.

by Anonymousreply 7307/14/2012

[quote]Oh STFU Clay, we have Lambert now who is far more talented.

Oh Lambert is just a big ole theater queen pretending to a rocker. The dyed black hair and finger nails. He's as much a rocker as Donny Osmond is. Lambert has had very little recording success and will headlining a revival of "Chess" on Broadway in fifteen...fourteen....

by Anonymousreply 7407/14/2012

I would love to hear Adam do "One Night In Bangkok"!

by Anonymousreply 7507/14/2012

I don't care if Lambert is a rocker or not, he's a very skilled singer and I enjoy his work. Lambert is considered far more contemporary than Clay, and has more critical acclaim. Clay is never going to make a pop comeback, but Adam might.

by Anonymousreply 7607/14/2012

Love the criticism of Clay, who has made a career for himself, coming from cubicle dwellers who live in a sixth floor walk-up in Queens, and who use the internet for their only conversation and entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 7707/14/2012

All I can say is "Wow" at this picture of him from 2008.

by Anonymousreply 7804/23/2013

Is he still in show biz?

by Anonymousreply 7904/23/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!