Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do your animals follow you into the bathroom?

I have four rescue dogs and whenever I have to go to the bathroom, two of them always have to follow and supervise. I have tried closing the door but they just scratch and whine and I cant relax.

One of them even want to sit on my lap while I am doing my business.

Anybody else have a dog or cat that does this?

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 14502/09/2015

My two cats (long dead now) would come in and pounce up onto the side of the bathtub so they could get an optimum view. Every once in a while if I was there long enough one of them would invariably jump over onto my lap.

It's gross but the funniest thing was if I had a bout of gas while seated on the throne they'd both run out and hide under the bed as if a pit bull was after them.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 202/02/2011

Yes, one dog likes to come in with me. He likes to sniff around the bathroom, to which he normally has no access since the door is kept shut, and see what's new. He doesn't interact much with me, though; it's all about examining my dirty clothes basket.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 302/02/2011

My dog sits and stares at me when I am sitting on the toilet. It is disturbing.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 402/02/2011

If I didn't shut the door completely, my cat would come busting in the door like Elliot Ness raiding a speakeasy. If I did shut the door completely, she'd sit in the hallway scratching at the door and hollering.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 502/02/2011

One of my cats insists on being in the bathroom, but I blame that in part on that being the room we isolated him in when we first adopted him. That means he remembers eating in that room, and if there's anything a cat can remember, it's a place they ate. Also, that cat has a thing for drinking running water and I thought it was cute to turn the faucet on for him. Now we have one of those pet fountain things, but he still wants the faucet on when I'm in the bathroom.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 602/02/2011

Yes, they all wander in, one or two at a time, to check out what I'm doing. Usually there is one that sticks around.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 802/02/2011

My dog. But she follows me everywhere. And one of my two cats. I think the cat is more looking for the dog since he follows her everywhere.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 1102/02/2011

My dogs do this too. But they also follow me everywhere around the house. If I go upstairs we ALL have to go upstairs. Then we all come down.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 1202/02/2011

The cat sits on the vanity to watch me shave, brush my teeth. Sometimes he'll poke his head through the shower curtain when I'm in there. And he checks the toilet as I flush, occasionally looking up to comment, "Corn? When did YOU eat corn?"

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 1302/02/2011

My cat has always followed me into the bathroom. He'd started when he was a kitten. I thought it cute so I allowed it,now I can't stop him. If I don't let him in, he'll sit outside the door and meow in the most pitifull way so that I allways end up letting him in just so I don't have to hear that painfull sound. I know it's horribly cutesy but, his name is Elvis but everyone knows him as Pee-buddy.%0D %0D %0D He also will jump up on the shower door and watch me shower if I don't fully latch the bathroom door. I'm allways afraid that he'll fall into the shower with me. 10lbs of scared, wet, teeth and claws try to grab onto anything to avoid the water. Shudder

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 1502/02/2011

Of course, I love it. Why not? Is there something sacred going on is a bathroom? Cleaning and crapping and peeing... certainly animals have no aversion or fear of these activies.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 1602/02/2011

My parents' dog this. It's because she senses you are higher in the pack and feels the need to follow you. It's also something dogs and humans have in common.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 1702/02/2011

I had a cat who would leap up on the sink to watch me pee, then the minute I would flush she would leap onto my shoulders and ride back out to the couch. I have no idea why she would do that or how it started.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 1802/02/2011

my dog licks me clean

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 1902/02/2011

You're kidding, right?

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 2002/02/2011

My cat will appear at the bathroom door and meow loudly to get in, I open the door, let her in then close it....once let in and while I'm on the pot, she'll meow to get let back out again. Repeat.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 2102/02/2011

Nope. Don't let my animals in the bathroom. That's just gross.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 2202/02/2011

i had two urinary assistants also, my cats. they knew i was a captive audience for love, antics, and wild shenanigans when i was on the toilet. nothing like having catapulting kitties flying over your head during private moments. they also liked to supervise me when i cleaned, the exception being vacuuming.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 2402/02/2011

My cat likes to sit on the edge of the tub while I'm taking a bath, and drink the water. The soapy, dirty bathwater. She's strange, but not as much as my other cat, who chews on the shower curtain. We go through new shower curtains every 4-6 months.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 2502/02/2011

My cat is funny, he won't ever come into the bathroom while I'm in there during the day. But when I get up to go in the middle of the night he'll come in. If I have the door slightly open he'll push it all the way open with his paw. Once he's in, he'll just sit there and stare at me. Sometimes he comes in and then goes out right away. I don't mind him in the bathroom with me though.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 2602/02/2011

The sink is right next to the toilet. My kitty used to sit on the sink whilst I was on the pot and, if I leaned forward, he would jump on my shoulders/back. It was almost impossible to get rid of him so I would finish my business with a cat draped over my shoulders.

He also used to sit outside of the shower with a very worried look on his face and he would cry and cry until I turned the water off.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 2702/02/2011

My cat often wants to be with me in the bathroom, I don't know why.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 2802/02/2011

[quote]I had a cat who would leap up on the sink to watch me pee, then the minute I would flush she would leap onto my shoulders and ride back out to the couch. I have no idea why she would do that or how it started.

Made me LOL.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 2902/02/2011

My dog will not tolerate a closed door to the bathroom. I have to keep the door open when I use the bathroom. When people are over, I just bring him in and shut the door. He could care less if another human is in there with the door shut, just me.%0D %0D I sometimes take a nice hot bath(I know, I know), and he gets a kick out of coming in and looming over the tub edge and staring at me while lay in there. %0D %0D He's a Bullmastiff, so negotiating is not really possible.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 3002/02/2011

This thread is making me laugh out loud. I don't know what it is about the sound of running water that worries animals. If I baby gate the dog downstairs and then go upstairs to take a shower, she barks to let me know there's a terrorist attack occurring while the water is running. Same thing if I go upstairs to brush my teeth. Wild barking when the water runs, then stops abruptly when I turn the water off. The kitchen sink water running doesn't bother her, but I suppose it's because I'm in sight.

I've got her trained to lie outside the bathroom door calmly while I'm in there, but training took a while and involved scratched paint on the door and some ripped-up carpet outside.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 3102/02/2011

Did you know a cat will stop purring if it hears water running?

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 3202/02/2011

Two cats love to come into the bathroom when I am in there for whatever reason. One loves to try to climb up on me while I am drying my hair. He is fearless when it comes to machinery while the other three go batshit crazy when the vacuum is running. This one cat chases the electrical chord while you are vacuuming! We had one cat years ago that would ONLY drink running water from a faucet! It was useless to put a water bowl down for him to drink. When we went out of town and had the neighbor feed the cats, they had to run water in the bathroom for the cat to drink. I am convinced that we are totally controled by our pets!

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 3302/02/2011

[quote]I think someone on DL posted the story recently about dogs in Japan sniffing out colon cancer successfully. %0D %0D Exactly how far up your ass does their nose have to go?

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 3402/02/2011

Do you people live in a barn?

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 3502/02/2011

I had a cat that liked to smell the stream of pee when I was urinating (standing up, I'm a guy). The same cat (a male) used to let our other male cat screw him, so there you.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 3602/02/2011

My cats come into the bathroom when they hear the toilet seat go down, as if knowing I'll be a captive audience and affection giver. I always pet them there, so they've been rewarded. One cat follows me whenever I get up in the middle of the night so she can use the cat box in the bathroom. I think she's afraid to go in the dark.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 3702/02/2011

Yes, my cockapoo follows me to the john, waits for me, and then exits with me. I'm going to try the TEMPLE GRANDIN THUNDERSHIRT for is anxiety issues. Worth a try.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 3802/02/2011

All 3 of my cats run to the bathroom when I'm in it....the door's always open as I live alone. Interestingly my Choc Point Himalayan, a nasty ass bitch who will hardly let you pet her, will back up to me and let me stroke her fur for as long as I want. The dog comes in too only to chase away the cats and reinforce dominance.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 4002/02/2011

Any cats I ever had didn't follow me to the bathroom. My friend has 4 cats, and one will always follow her to the john. I think it's like any other room you go to where they follow you, it's just you notice it in the bathroom because you don't go there as often as, say, the kitchen or livingroom. Plus, we typically consider the bathroom a 'private' place, and we probably naturally assume that our pets know this, too. If your animals are always under foot, then they're probably likely to follow you to the bathroom, too.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 4102/02/2011

every cat and dog i've ever had, they hated a closed door. especially a closed bathroom door.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 4202/02/2011

This is hilarious. My cat systematically jumps up and lies on the sink bench in front of me when I'm on the john. He's never up there otherwise. %0D %0D It's weird. The mere sound of the top toilet lid going up causes him to saunter in to the bathroom. He then jumps up onto the tub ledge, turns himself around, and then jumps up onto the sink from that placement. Then he lies there and stares at me. %0D %0D I have no clue what drives this...but it's pretty consistent.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 4302/02/2011

All the time! they sit in front of me and wait....hurry up!

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 4402/02/2011

My cat Dolly jumps into the sink and rolls around trying to play with me while I'm in the bathroom. If I have the door shut, she is sitting there staring at me like a murderous stalker when I open the door.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 4502/02/2011

like any other room you go to where they follow you, it's just you notice it in the bathroom because you don't go there as often as, say, the kitchen or livingroom.%0D %0D ***That's not true that they follow me to other rooms but I just don't notice it as much. All of us know what behaviours our pets display and I know they're never in my office with me, such as now, but if I were to go to the john they'd be right there. And I don't consider my bathroom time private from my pets. I think it's cute that they have quirky habits.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 4602/02/2011

Many dogs always want to be with their owners and will go where they go.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 4702/02/2011

I had a foster dog who virtually velcroed himself to me. Separation anxiety. If there was any physical barrier between us he'd go berserk. He had to follow me into the bathroom, of course, and would rest his head on my knee and stare desperately into my eyes. It was annoying but wholly understandable given what he'd been through.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 4802/02/2011

The entire menagerie (?) follow me in first thing every morning and every time I go in after returning to the house.%0D %0D To the poster who linked the Thundershirt...%0D %0D THANK YOU!!!%0D %0D

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 4902/02/2011

Another bestiality thread.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 5002/02/2011

One of my dogs does. She seems fascinated with everything human.

R48, what happened when you eventually had to send the dog back?

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 5102/02/2011

[quote]My cat likes to sit on the edge of the tub while I'm taking a bath, and drink the water. The soapy, dirty bathwater.

Our cat did that with my ex every time he took a bath. Every time. I could sit in the tub for a year and the cat wouldn't do it.

On the other hand, that cat would ride around the house on my shoulders for up to five minutes as a regular activity. If I tried to "pass" it to my partner's shoulders, the cat would cross over, turn around, and come right back to me.

Who knows why they do what they do.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 5202/02/2011

My cat follows me into the bathroom because he goes bonkers over the smell of toothpaste. He gets completely stoned rolls around and tries to shove his whole head in my mouth. Then he eats some food and falls asleep for 2 hours. He's 11 yrs old now and has done it since he was a little kitten. Mint flavored tea bag wrappers also do the trick. My sister saves them for him in a baggy.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 5302/02/2011

My dog Milo always sniffs his sister's wee and sometimes he wees on top of it. Morgan has a serious heart defect and she is not getting on so well. The vet said that Milo does it because he smells her sickness and he doesn't want other animals to smell it and realise she is sick and possibly defenseless. I wonder if that explains why some of the posters' dogs are interested in their wee.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 5402/02/2011

r51, it was pretty heart wrenching. The dog was so attached to me that it was hurting his chances of being adopted; whenever potential adopters came over he'd become even more fixated on me, ignoring everything else around him. I was also overly protective of him and terrified that he'd end up in another bad home; I wanted nothing but the best for him. he was a brilliant little guy and fanatically devoted. ultimately, I called up the shelter and told them I needed to relinquish him to a different foster family. I wrote up a good bio of him for the shelter website so potential adopters would know what to expect.

leaving him was one of the worst moments of my life. I put him in a crate and walked out as he cried and threw himself against the sides in an effort to escape and follow me. within an hour his new foster family came and picked him up; I never saw him again. but, he was adopted out within two weeks to a couple of retirees who said they knew the moment they read his bio that he was the dog they'd been looking to adopt for a whole year. they were reportedly very, very wealthy and stayed home all the time and wanted a "velcro" dog who'd adore them and who they could love (and spoil, no doubt) in return. as soon as they brought him home they arranged to have their entire property fenced with a 6 foot privacy fence, and they hired a personal dog trainer.

I like to imagine that he is quite happy.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 5502/02/2011

R55, your story actually made me tear up. Thanks for sharing that.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 5602/02/2011

My Vietnamese pot belly pig Wung Foo always follows me into the bathroom. I have a very small bathroom and since Wung Foo weights a good 160-70 pounds , she basically fills the entire room. I have tried to stop her from following me but trying to stop a determined pig is not as easy as it sounds. I often find myself having to take a dump with an enormous black pig staring up at me from between my legs. i know it sounds cute....but believe me its not

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 5702/03/2011

[quote]I often find myself having to take a dump with an enormous black pig staring up at me from between my legs.

Been there.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 5802/03/2011

This thread is funny, and sweet (R55). My cats have all done so many of these same things: they need to supervise me whenever I'm in there, like something might go terribly wrong if I was left on my own.%0D %0D Our current cat strolls in, walks all around the toilet, twines around my ankles, wails for unknown reasons, and then sits and looks at me until I'm finished. Forget closing the door - the yowling and the thuds of his body slams are not conducive to a relaxing bathroom experience.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 5902/03/2011

[quote] My cat follows me into the bathroom because he goes bonkers over the smell of toothpaste. He gets completely stoned rolls around and tries to shove his whole head in my mouth. Then he eats some food and falls asleep for 2 hours. He's 11 yrs old now and has done it since he was a little kitten. Mint flavored tea bag wrappers also do the trick. My sister saves them for him in a baggy.

It's because catnip is in the mint family.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 6002/03/2011

I have two cats and sometimes they do. One of them will jump up on the sink next to the toilet and rub her cheek against my face while I'm sitting there.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 6102/03/2011

No, I make them leave after we have sex.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 6202/03/2011

Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5%0D %0D God, trying to get your dogs to agree on dick size is just impossible, isn't it?

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 6302/03/2011

My dog does. We chat

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 6402/03/2011

My two older dogs won't follow me, they actually look quite embarrassed if they happen to catch me in there, but my youngest dog always goes in with me.

She'll peek at me through the mostly closed door until I rip off a few sheets of toilet paper and wave it through the door for her to grab.

She immediately chews it up and spits it out. Makes her unbelievably happy.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 6502/03/2011

My cat's litter box was in the bathroom. Any time I went, she went without fail. And she did whatever I did. If I peed, she peed. If I took a dump, she took a dump.%0D %0D But she was always terrorized by the flush. You'd think after 16 years she'd expect it to happen.%0D %0D Miss her.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 6602/03/2011

r58 made me laugh, but I've been drinking.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 6702/03/2011

Mr. Scruffy Bottoms follows us to the bathroom. If we close the door her sits outside and whines.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 6802/03/2011

When I had a bird, she loved to come in the bathroom when I showered, perch on the towel bar that was next to the shower and peer at me. I would leave the curtain partially open so she could catch some mist.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 6902/03/2011

Me and Princess even shit together!!!

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 7002/03/2011

I had no idea this was so common with pets! My cats will follow me in and sit on my lap. If I've ever had to worship the Porcelain God they stay with me and look very worried - going so far as to climb on my back. It's very sweet.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 7102/03/2011

I took my mother's cat after she died. Whenever I'm sitting on the toilet he rolls around on the floor in front of me and wants to be petted and stroked. I call him my hustling whore, because right after I finish my business he runs to his food place and expects me to give him some food (now, you had your way with me, PAY me in food, bitch!).

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 7202/03/2011

We have a little ritual. They'll come in, I'll pick em up like a baby kiss em then put em down, and they walk right out. One of them about 70% of the time stays and makes it a bonding thing. lol Sometimes she uses the litterbox at the same time (which is in the bathroom)............shut up

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 7302/03/2011

Yes. I live alone and never close the doors to anything. So when people visit and go in to use the bathroom and close the door, the cats have that "HEY!" look

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 7402/03/2011

Thanks DL animal lovers! I really thought I was weird and the only one. Now I have this visual of all of us with our animals on the pot ( with earrings and caftans of course)

This is a laugh out loud thread, I love you all!!

P.S. How is Mr. Scruffle Bottom doing these days?

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 7502/03/2011

Two cats. They may wander in and wander out. Ome of my cats, Thomas, likes to sit in the bathroom sink. I don't encourage him to do that. My other cat, Darcie, is well ...too much of a lady to jump up that high and sit in something like a sink.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 7602/03/2011

My cat screams bloody murder and reaches his paw under the door if I go into the bathroom and close the door.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 7702/03/2011

So true about shutting doors. If you do, the cats are always waiting on the other side with a 'why the fuck did you shut the door?' expression on their faces.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 7802/03/2011

Gaaahd, OP, don't you have friends to talk to??

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 7902/03/2011

I don't like my (very large) dogs in the bathroom with me. So they come to the door, take note, and then leave me be (like the well-mannered dogs they are).

Don't have cats so don't know if they would get the message in the same way. But I wouldn't force the issue if they insisted on coming inside. I know cats are different.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 8002/03/2011

My cat loves the shower. She will actually climb in and sit in the far corner, squinting blissfully at the spray. I think it's hilarious but people that have spent the night found it a little strange. Who gives a shit? It's a cat.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 8102/03/2011

When I was growing up, my cat used to follow me into the bathroom and climb into my pants [that were around my ankles] and take a nap. He also loved ice cubes. Whenever we opened the freezer, he'd com running into the kitchen and meow mercilessly until we gave him an ice cube and played 'hockey' with him.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 8302/03/2011

I've had bears follow me into public men's rooms. But I don't let them get on my lap.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 8402/03/2011

OMG R83, my kitty who passed away (mentioned up-thread) used to curl up in my pants also, and my new kitty loves "ice" hocky, also. He comes running if he hears the ice machine being operated.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 8502/03/2011

If I shut the door I will see the cats paw come under it and she starts tapping on the door like let me in. If she gets in she sits on the edge of the clawfoot tub and just stares, sort of creepy. Then there's the toilet tissue, she bounds off the tub as soon as she sees it start to unroll, hence the battle begins. PIA she is but also a ton of laughs! The best is when she jumps on the rolled edge of the tub and all I see is her eyes getting huge as she tries to hang on but slips right off. Where's that video when you need it?

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 8602/03/2011

when I'm drunk...I piss on my cat.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 8702/03/2011

One of the cats I use to have would come in the bathroom when I was going and he would go in the litter box. He would always face the wall. Some times if I was finished first I would make faces at him and wave my hand in his face while he was still in the litter box. "Hello! Whatcha doin!" He always looked so annoyed.

I know I'm demented.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 8802/03/2011

@r72 I inherited my Mom's cat, too. It has been enlightening to observe his particular habits in relation to my own cats' behaviors. Mom was a crazy cat woman, but also an old-school WASP, so he never follows us to bed or to the potty. But she clearly spoiled him with fresh people food and he has a fetish for being groomed with a brush. And when he doesn't immediately get what he wants, he becomes abusive like all of her husbands.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 8902/04/2011

I've had cats all my adult life, and all of them love to come visit me in the bathroom. The current two that I have have to sit in my lap. If I'm brushing my teeth or washing my face, they will sit right outside the door and "guard" me. I call them my Foo cats (like Chinese Foo dogs).

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 9002/04/2011

My cats aren't allowed in the bathroom because one cat will snag and eat the towels. They do get in sometimes but are shooed out pretty quickly. Every so often, one gets in without me noticing, and when I sit down he's right there in my pants around my ankles, acting like it's the best place in the world to be. Strange things, cats.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 9202/04/2011

I don't mind them in the bathroom with me per say, but I have to admit, the laughing really hurts my feelings.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 9302/04/2011

This thread is really making me smile. :)%0D %0D My cat doesn't come into the bathroom with me, but as soon as I shut the door, he will sit pressed up against it until I come out. Then he just goes about his business in other parts of the house.%0D %0D The dog goes into the bathroom when my partner's in there - he doesn't usually shut the door off of his office when he's alone. I've walked in to tell him something before and seen the dog sitting away from him, facing the door, on the mat. I guess he's guarding him while in a vulnerable position??

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 9402/09/2011

Man there's some sad comments here. Dogs and cats are PETS not infants. If you can't go to the john without holding them in your arms you have some serious issues to resolve. Be firm and show some balls. SIT. STAY.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 9502/09/2011

It's not as if I leave the room every time they shit in a box. I installed a shower stall, so the dog dislikes the bathroom on principle. The cats, however, use this time to file general grievances, play hockey with something under the door, and tap faucet heads for water.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 9602/09/2011

Cat people are the weirdest { and not in a good way} people on earth.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 9702/09/2011

my three dogs will follow me to the bathroom. one of my cats ALWAYS wants to get his love on while in the bathroom. i shut the door. the cat sticks it's paw under the door to open it. sometimes, if the latch didn't catch, he'll open the door. the cat can cause a loud ruckus. i keep the door shut. the dogs just follow me to the bathroom. now, i always shut the door. they can all piss off. i have to use the bathroom!

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 9805/27/2012

LOL @ r13!

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 9905/27/2012

I have a question for cat people. Do you bath your cat? I never had a cat but always heard they hate water. Or do they groom themselves.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 10005/27/2012

Mine don't follow me in, but they insist I keep the door open.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 10105/27/2012

I am fostering a rescue greyhound who does the same thing. He just shadows me whenever I'm home regardless of what I'm doing.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 10205/28/2012

My big female cat will follow me into the bathroom only during the summer months and only because she knows how cute she looks rolling around in that nice big cool bathtub. She also likes to walk back and forth on the tub edge between the shower curtain and the shower curtain liner, stopping to peek out at me and give me the chance to tell her how cute she is being.

My one-eyed male cat won't come in with me but he likes to sit right outside the door when it is almost closed and have me run my finger up and down the opening so he can try to snare it with his claws. He also likes to have little rolled up balls of toilet paper come flying out at him as he tries to catch them. He is also fascinated by the rotating motion going on inside the bowl when flushed. He will put his two front paws up on the edge of the bowl and watch it going round and round.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 10305/28/2012

Not an example of responsible pet ownership anywhere here. Boundaires, rules, limitations! They want them!

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 10405/28/2012

I used to have a cat that liked to watch me masturbate (although it usually wasn't in the bathroom). He'd just sit & stare at me while I went at it. It was very distracting. Finally I'd just yell, "What are you looking at?!" and he'd run away.

Nothing kills a boner like looking at a pussy...

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 10505/28/2012

I live alone so I don't need to close the bathroom door. Sometimes my cat comes in while I'm doing my business and will rub against my legs. She'll sit on the edge of the tub. Once I held her up and let her catch a moth that was flying around the light which was a big mistake because for about three weeks afterward she LIVED in the sink, staring up at the light expecting to see another moth.

She has at times sat on the edge of the tub while I shower and yowl at me.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 10605/28/2012

When I was younger my dog would insist on coming into the bathroom with me, and then if I defecated she'd be like, "Let me OUTTA here!" She finally figured out it was best to just let me go in alone.

She had a long tradition of following one particular friend of mine, whom she liked a lot, into the bathroom but she eventually lost interest.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 10705/28/2012

Throughout my whole life, all my various cats have accompanied me to the bathroom. I've noticed the Alpha cats are more vigilant about doing it (they immediately follow me and flop at my feet or get on my lap), while the beta cats are more casual (they saunter in a bit later and saunter out).

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 10805/28/2012

My dogs and cats not only follow me and want to sit in my lap (we used to call them the poo pals) but the youngest knows if u are on the pot u might be there a while and fetches her tug of war toy to play with you, my husband says tug of war helps- if u get my meaning.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 10909/06/2012

Yes both my kitties come into the bathroom when I am there. And why not? Kitties don't make privacy distinctions- after all I scoop their kitty litter and follow them any time I want. Tit for tat. And of course I adore them and like having them around me as much as possible.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 11009/06/2012

My pussy always follows me into the bathroom.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 11109/06/2012

Yeah he sucks the hell out of my dick

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 11201/30/2013

I'm calling PETA.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 11301/30/2013

R112, shut up with the perversion. They put people in prison for that, and just arrested someone recently for sex with a donkey, so it is not a joke.

OP, if you have good sense, you train dogs to do exactly what you want them to do. Cats seem to be another matter, but I have been able to train mine to do as I please, as long as I am present. Once the dogs know what they are not allowed to do, they will not do it even if I am a thousand miles away and watching them on webcam. The cats would go into the kitchen and jump on the counters as soon as I was gone. That is why they now live outside with the dogs.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 11401/30/2013

If I close the door my cat will throw himself against it, claw at the doorknob, and as a last resort will stick his paw underneath the door, while yowling all the time. And yet if I leave the door open he will sometimes just peek in but not enter.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 11501/30/2013

My rescue dog at first had to go in with me. We moved about a year ago and the bathroom is smaller so now he just sits outside on the bath mat and waits till I finish. I don't close the door though. If I do, he comes and butts the door with his head.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 11601/30/2013

My cat stands guard when I poop. It's really funny. I feel so safe knowing I can poop in peace, with kitty standing sentinel.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 11701/30/2013

I heard a shriek and then laughter from our guest bathroom - my mom apparently didn't realize our cat would just headbutt his way in if the door was not closed tight. No, I DON'T KNOW what mom was doing at the time. But I'm glad she thought it was funny.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 11801/30/2013

Hahahaha! Yes, my 3 year old bunny has been following me into the bathroom, since she was six weeks old. If I shut her out she will scratch on the door until I open it. The funny thing is that whenever I flush the toilet she shakes her head, does a quick twist and hops away. This is what she does whenever something has annoyed her but still she never fails to bless me with her presence whenever nature calls. She is such a funny bunny and always makes me laugh. To me, it is worth the lack of privacy and I wouldn't have it any other way!

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 11901/30/2013

The only time they leave me alone is when I am in the shower.

Cats hate steam.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 12001/30/2013

I have two cats that follow me to the toilet. They like to eat while I take a shit. I have no fuckin' idea how someone could possibly enjoy eating while someone else is shitting next to them. Cat thing, I guess.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 12101/30/2013

R121, do you have the food dish near the toilet?

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 12201/30/2013

the cat and dog have always followed me from room to room. Including the bathroom.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 12301/30/2013

R122 Yes, I have it in the bathroom somewhere, but not near the toilet. The place is very sanitary and clean, so I think it's A-OK there. The problem is that they come and eat exactly when I shit. When I pee, there's no sign of them whatsoever.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 12401/30/2013

All the posts here are funny. Apart from R22, who is no fun at all.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 12501/30/2013

Curious how many of you who answered affirmatively also let your animals sleep with you in the same bed?

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 12601/30/2013

I lost my black pug, LuLu, on Nov 7 and I STILL burst into tears when I sit on the terlet. She always found my bathroom habits fascinating!

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 12701/30/2013

My dog always does this, but she just lays there and doesn't really smell Around. It's weird I almost feel as if it connects me with her on a different spiritual level, since going to the restroom is such a personal thing IMO, and like one person said, they probably gain tons of info about our unseen physiology Just by smelling.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 12806/13/2013

Once my cat tried to jump up on my lap while I was on the can. I put a stop to that right away.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 12906/13/2013

Thanks to everybody for making me smile with this thread. When I saw the title I knew that there would be tons of people answering in the affirmative.

I miss my kitties so. I had three and it was the female that had to be in there with me. If I closed her out she would lie on her side and wave her little black arm/paw back and forth under the door.

A kind of -- apparently you've forgotten about me out here -- signal.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 13006/13/2013

My cat follows me everywhere including the bathroom. She'll sit and stare at me while I'm taking a dump.

She also has to stay when I shower and usually will lay down on the clothes I drop on the floor.

Years ago, when I lived in an apartment with a glass tub enclosure, she would jump up on the toilet seat, then to the top of the tank and then onto the tub enclosure. She'd lay down with paws dangling over either side and watch as I showered. Once a friend stayed at my place to take care of the cat when I was out of the country and I forgot to warn her about the cat's thing for watching. She scared the crap out of my friend the first few times she got herself to the top of the tub enclosure.

This cat is now 18 and can't jump the heights she used to.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 13106/13/2013

Yes, my dog does this, too. He comes in and stands guard (actually sits).

I think it's payback for when I walk him: when he takes a dump, I stand there and watch HIM. He always gives me that sideways glance ("Really? You're gonna watch me take a shit?"). And then I have the nerve to pick up his poop and throw it in the trash!

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 13206/15/2013

My cat follows me in there when I do #2. She knows I'm trapped and have to pet her then.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 13306/15/2013

This is really gross but I had a dog who would always dink from the toilet. A couple times I forgot to flush and my dog comes out of the bathroom with a "shit eating grin" - literally :(

He had helped himself to a bowl of wet brownies, if you know what I mean. I almost through up.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 13406/15/2013

R134, I know just what you mean. I once met a very adventurous young man on Craigslist and trained him to do the very same thing.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 13506/15/2013

Yes, my cats follow me into the bathroom, especially the one with their litterbox. They act like they're going to a party.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 13606/15/2013

A fox looked like it was going to follow me into the portable toilet last night, but I had heard they have rabies so I shooed it away. There's all sorts of animals out late at night on campus. What do you think they're looking for, is it the smell of the toilets?

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 13706/15/2013

It's my girl cats that do this, not the boys. i wonder if there's a gender bias in this thread.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 13806/15/2013

You're all gross.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 13906/15/2013

It's not just cats who love the idea of raceing you to the bathroom is Not only important enough for them to get there before me that they Trip me as they race by to make sure they get there before me. Then Of course when your in the throne room wanting that time to, umm- Gee I guess, a time to get relief. Which is hard because one sits on the sink and headbutts, while one uses two claws to poke, one nudges And whines, anouther rolls on the floor and pauses in pose to remind me how beautiful they are, then comes the last nosie mr wants to be part of the party and voices to let everyone know he's not happy being left out and in last place. As soon as you hear arrrk- then fluttering wings, then the sound of him barely making the door way to land behind cats and dogs. For one brief moment they're not focused on me but this old nasty bird waldling between them bitching as he's cutting the line to get close to me. Yes, this last one is a parrot of 75 yrs old, My aunt passed away and he hated everyone. So of course they agreed He needed to live with me, for some reason Iam the only human he likes even though the last time he saw me was when I was 8 yrs old Now Iam 50. So this old man push the cats at one point 5 who would follow me not only to the bathroom but everywhere I went. There's Nothing like walking down the street with 5 cats trailing behind and people pointing and laughing, and they cry until I come out side from the store or visiting friends. And at one point 3 dogs. My number one was a large German Shepard whom after babysitting for a year went home and ran away taking his little budies, 2 chawuawas. So the owner On her last nerve said here he's all yours. Then my moms pug that was a herm- or she- him. A male and female in one. Who would always develope bladder problems. Then came the sheba inew who was lovable but wild. That's my bathroom budies from a few years ago now I have 2 cats and yes they too run ahead and wait. So when it comes to animals and bathrooms it must be love on their part to get so excited to visit with you in such a small space with the threat of not so pleasent smells!

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 14007/28/2013

Yes, they always want to follow me into the bathroom. I don't even bother closing the door anymore, they will just complain (and destroy the paint on the door) until I open the door.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 14107/28/2013

My dog is 14 years old this year and follows me into the bathroom to this day for reasons I will never know. One funny thing happened when he was a pup. When I was teaching him to retrieve a ball and bring it back to me I would sit on the floor cross-legged and have him drop the ball in between my legs...I would call to him and say 'slam-dunk.' He was a really playful puppy, 24/7 and when he wanted to play, he let you know it. One time I was seated in the bathroom and he came charging in with a ball in his mouth...and slam-dunk! He perched his forepaws on the edge of the toilet seat, looked up at me with an inquisitive look as if to say, 'aren't you going to throw it.?' I couldn't comply...I was laughing too hard.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 14202/24/2014

My cats know where I'm headed in the morning and rush ahead of me into the bathroom. All I want to do is pee and I have to keep herding cats out of the john. One jumps into the tub behind the shower curtain.

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 14302/26/2014

The way my boyfriend puts it as far as the dogs go... We follow them to the bathroom when we take them outside, so they follow us :D

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 14402/09/2015

All I have to say is that I haven't been alone in the bathroom for 11 years

by Waiting for them to hold up signs, 9.5, 9.0, 9.5reply 14502/09/2015
Need more help? Click Here.