Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Hollywood hates us ''cause we''re conservative says Ron Howard''s less talented brother and Morgan Brittany, star of that thing

Conservative actors bemoan "intolerant" Hollywood

By Paul Bond; Sun Jan 30, 8:41 pm ET

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) %E2%80%93 It's not easy being a Republican in Hollywood, even if your brother is an A-list director and producer. That's what actor Clint Howard told attendees at a California GOP convention over the weekend.

Howard, an actor since 1961 and the younger brother of filmmaker Ron Howard, said that while he is comfortable speaking publicly about his conservatism, his advice to Republicans looking to break into the industry is to keep their political opinions to themselves, even though Hollywood liberals seldom do.

About five years ago, "I came out of the closet. In Hollywood. I certainly understand that's dangerous," said Howard, an MTV Movie Awards lifetime achievement honoree.

"If the entertainment industry should turn on me, I'd say, 'Well fine.' But for young conservatives, you may hear me speak out but let me tell you: Be careful," he said.

Howard was joined by Morgan Brittany, one of the stars of the 1980s nighttime soap opera "Dallas." The pair noted a leftward slide in the industry and an intolerance for political dissent over the decades.

"I'd go out on location with the 'Dallas' crew," she told members of the California Congress of Republicans in Valencia on Saturday. "Everybody in the van was bashing (President Reagan). I never said anything because I thought I'd lose my job. And I probably would have lost my job. I got to a point later on, after 'Dallas' was over and I had my two children, that I said, 'enough is enough. I'm not going to be silent any longer'," she said.

"If I'm silent then I'm enabling these people and I'm letting them win. They need to know that we're out there. That we're strong and that we have ideas and solutions."

The reaction to her newfound political courage back then wasn't pretty.

"Oh man, the flack I took from the people, the agencies -- 'oh, you can't say that. You can't do that. Casting people might see you. And directors!'"

"What is this, the blacklist?" she said. "They're not going to hire me because I have an opinion? That's the way Hollywood is and, unfortunately, I got that. But I still wasn't going to back down."

Brittany, who was one of the most visible celebrities supporting the McCain-Palin Republican ticket during the last presidential election, has a daughter in her 20s who is a struggling actress. Her advice to her is: "Don't tell them you're my daughter."

Brittany told of building a friendship with actor Ed Asner, a sometimes activist for progressive causes, when the two starred in a stage-play together during the infamous Florida recount that put Republican George W. Bush in the White House over Democrat Al Gore. And she told how she lost Asner's friendship due to politics.

"Every night he just loved me and came in and gave me a big hug," she said. "Then one night he was going crazy about Gore and Bush and stealing the election. I'm backstage and I said, 'Ed, chill, not everybody thinks the way you do'."

"Well, where do I begin?" I swear. It was like a light switch," she said. "He turned to me and said, 'you're not a Republican?' I said, 'yep.' And he said, 'I can't even look at you. I can't even talk to you'.

"From that moment on, he never spoke to me again, except on stage," she said. "This is what we're dealing with. The intolerance of the left."

She said that while a starlet in her 20s she met with the late Jay Bernstein, who managed the careers of Farrah Fawcett and Suzanne Somers back in the day, but the meeting went awry after Bernstein noticed the cross Brittany wore around her neck.

She said Bernstein told her: "You're going to have to lose that, honey.

In this town, you can't be religious, and you can't be conservative."

"He was a star-making manager, but I couldn't sign on with him," Brittany said.

As for Howard, he said he avoids talking politics while on the set, even though the other side shows less restraint. While shooting "Frost/Nixon," for example, he got so sick of an outspoken liberal actor (whom he wouldn't name) "spewing venom" that he finally told him to "knock it off."

"I had to listen to a lot of it, but I never thought the workplace was the right time to get into it," he said.

He also said politics never comes between him and his liberal brother Ron.

"I have a wonderful older brother. It's a shame he sits on the wrong side of the dinner table," he said. "It never gets uncomfortable with Ron and I. We just differ politically and that's okay. He's just wrong and I'm right. I believe that in my heart of hearts."

by Anonymousreply 22703/24/2014

Clint do you REALLY want us to say why Hollywood will not hire you?

by Anonymousreply 101/31/2011

Hollywood's conservativephobia is keeping Morgan Brittany from being America's Helen Mirren!

by Anonymousreply 301/31/2011

I'll bell that ugly cat, r1: Clint, you are hideous!

by Anonymousreply 401/31/2011

Well this explains why Ron Howard edits gay story lines out of his films and encourages his actors to use the word "fag". It is in the family!

by Anonymousreply 501/31/2011

1) Great post title.

2) If they can make money for 'em, producers will hire anyone (see Mel Gibson and his to-the-right-of-the-Pope views until he finally went off the deep end).

Kurt Russell is also known to be a hard conservative, and he's always worked.

by Anonymousreply 701/31/2011

I love Ed Asner!

by Anonymousreply 801/31/2011

"He's just wrong and I'm right," said Clint Howard.%0D %0D Isn't that what their claiming the Hollywood liberals do??

by Anonymousreply 901/31/2011

R5 read the OP carefully. Ron is not a conservative. Clint states that clearly. Ron is a liberal/progressive.

[quote]I have a wonderful older brother. It's a shame he sits on the wrong side of the dinner table," he said. "It never gets uncomfortable with Ron and I. We just differ politically and that's okay. He's just wrong and I'm right. I believe that in my heart of hearts

by Anonymousreply 1001/31/2011

Morgan Brittany's career high point was playing second banana to me!

by Anonymousreply 1101/31/2011

These people are still living in the 1980s. Reagan's worm food, your careers are over, go die already!

by Anonymousreply 1201/31/2011

"I never said anything because I thought I'd lose my job. And I probably would have lost my job"%0D %0D No.%0D %0D Right-wingers love to persecute those who disagree with them. Liberals, not so much...

by Anonymousreply 1301/31/2011

poor repubs! wealthy, in movies, and all want to play "the victim"

by Anonymousreply 1501/31/2011

[quote]"He turned to me and said, 'you're not a Republican?' I said, 'yep.' And he said, 'I can't even look at you. I can't even talk to you'."From that moment on, he never spoke to me again, except on stage," she said.

I've net Ed Asner. He was a complete sweetheart. I didn't think I could love him more but thanks to Brittany, I do.

by Anonymousreply 1701/31/2011

Leah Remini is also fairly conservative and has gone from one long-running sitcom to another; Kelsy Grammer is also Repub, is he not? And he's had a long career in spite of a lot of bad publicity moves.

by Anonymousreply 1801/31/2011

Morgan Brittany was a second rate actress, nothing more. She wasn't even a celebrity. Thank goodness she doesn't act anymore. I would hate to call her a racist to her face.

by Anonymousreply 1901/31/2011

By "Lavender elite" do you mean the so-called "Gay Mafia?"

I don't know, if I were in a position of hiring an actor, director or other above-the-line talent, I'd prefer not to hire or represent someone who actively works against my civil rights.

by Anonymousreply 2001/31/2011

How does Clint Howard explain Kelsey Grammer's success in Hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 2101/31/2011

Clint Howard played an alien in Star Trek:TOS wearing minimal make-up.%0D %0D He is still the weirdest looking alien I've ever seen...

by Anonymousreply 2201/31/2011

These are primo examples of dim-witted right wingers...aren't they all?

by Anonymousreply 2301/31/2011

Leah Remini is a very well know $cientologist,

by Anonymousreply 2401/31/2011

Fuck them. They ruined careers of people, blacklisting how many? Accusing them of being commies, with their right wing bullshit.

Fuck their whines of intolerance.

by Anonymousreply 2501/31/2011

Oh, Clint, without your brother, you would be nothing. So whine all you want, princess ugly butt, but without nepotistm you are nothing, liberal or conservative. Maybe if you spent more time developing some, what do you call it, talent, maybe that would be time better spent.%0D %0D Conservatives are always calling liberals whiny. Pot, meet kettle. No one can whine like they can.%0D %0D As for Morgan Brittany, only one question, "Who?" Yeah, babe, it's your politics that kept you from working.

by Anonymousreply 2601/31/2011

Patricia Heaton is a very well-known conservative and how many sit-coms has she been on?

by Anonymousreply 2701/31/2011

Me, me, me!!!

by Anonymousreply 2801/31/2011

Kelsey Grammer hasn't had success in nearly 20 years. Everything he's done has either flopped/been cancelled. His career is over. His Conservatism DID hurt him, especially with all the Right-wing lunatic projects he took on.

by Anonymousreply 2901/31/2011

[italic]Patricia Heaton is a very well-known conservative and how many sit-coms has she been on?[/italic]

One.

Her last one with Kelsey Grammer got cancelled the moment it hit the air.

by Anonymousreply 3001/31/2011

Suzanne Cupito (aka Morgan) couldn't even play dead convincingly when she smashed her car into the gardener's truck after mowing down Bobby Ewing. She makes Jayne Kennedy look like Ruby Dee.

by Anonymousreply 3101/31/2011

She has another one airing right now R30. The Middle.

by Anonymousreply 3201/31/2011

Adam Sandler, Gary Sinise and Adam Sandler are all outspoken conservatives with very long careers.

Having said that, I think it's probably true that there is a strong aspect of social networking and favoritism in professional Hollywood circles. People hire their friends, and recommend their friends, and introduce their friends. And most actors are liberal, and liberals and conservatives have challenges to overcome in forming friendships. It's not impossible to do it, but I can see how conservatives in Hollywood these days may sometimes have a tougher time socially than outspoken liberals. I'm not saying I feel sorry for them or anything like that, but I can see the point Clint Howard is trying to make, although it's misguided that it's fodder for a persecution complex.

by Anonymousreply 3301/31/2011

Speak on it, r31.

by Anonymousreply 3401/31/2011

I hate conservative and I don't care who knows.

by Anonymousreply 3501/31/2011

He's childish and jealous that Will Smith is making his daughter flip her hair while he - as a brother of a big Hollywood movie maker - sits on the side and watches others do what he thinks he can do a lot better.

by Anonymousreply 3601/31/2011

"Kelsey Grammer hasn't had success in nearly 20 years"%0D %0D He played Scrooge in a musical version of "A Christmas Carol" which I had the good fortune to catch on tv over Christmas.%0D %0D It was "car-crash" viewing of the best/worst kind. %0D %0D I kept thinking that THIS next song couldn't be any worse than the one before...and, gloriously, it invariably was...

by Anonymousreply 3701/31/2011

[quote]Adam Sandler, Gary Sinise and Adam Sandler are all outspoken conservatives with very long careers.

Woops, that second Adam should've been Baldwin, not Sandler. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 3801/31/2011

When it comes to celebrities, the GOP always gets the olds, the uglies and the lessers.

by Anonymousreply 3901/31/2011

Bruce Willis, Arnold S., Kelsey Grammar. They've all done fine.

by Anonymousreply 4001/31/2011

If you hear the sound of a janitor's broom off screen during a Ron Howard movie you can be sure Clint is about to make his entrance.

by Anonymousreply 4201/31/2011

I remember an article in the old Movieline Magazine (back when it was the funniest damn thing in print) that was essentially a roundtable discussion amongst several b-grade horror movie directors.%0D %0D When asked about the most obnoxious actor he ever directed, one said Morgan Brittany. She expected to be treated like royalty on this shoestring budget movie and told him that he shouldn't worry about directing her because her whole performance would be revealed "in her eyes" during the dailies. At least one of the other directors also mentioned working with her and saying she was a complete vainglorious idiot.%0D %0D I have no idea why I remember that article so well, but I think of it every time Morgan Brittany comes up in conversation.%0D %0D Luckily, that happens ever so rarely.

by Anonymousreply 4301/31/2011

"Gays are very prominent in Hollywood like Scientologists and Jews. They have their own agenda like any other group that has prominence in an industry."%0D %0D Umm, the HELL?

by Anonymousreply 4401/31/2011

Wearing cross jewelry is inappropriate in a secular setting. Put a fish on your car if you want to send out signals to your religious cronies.

by Anonymousreply 4501/31/2011

Kelsey Grammar just had a pretty damned good success on BROADWAY, dimwits, with La Cage Aux Folles. Not a big fan of the conservative douche, but his career is just FINE.

by Anonymousreply 4601/31/2011

[italic]Adam Sandler, Gary Sinise and Adam Sandler are all outspoken conservatives with very long careers.[/italic]

How many Adam Sandlers are there?

What's the last hit film that Adam Sandler, or Gary Sinise had?

The truth is, Conservatives generally are not very talented individuals. They're limited, something that doesn't help when trying to capture the very essence of a character.

by Anonymousreply 4701/31/2011

Broadway = Hollywood???!

by Anonymousreply 4801/31/2011

[quote]What's the last hit film that Adam Sandler, or Gary Sinise had?

Grown Ups and Open Season.

by Anonymousreply 4901/31/2011

Gary Sinise?%0D %0D Oh, puhleese...%0D %0D Charisma-free catholic freak

by Anonymousreply 5001/31/2011

Gawd, Adam Sandler is repulsive enough as it is, but he's a freakin right winger too? I don't know why anyone pays to see that fool in movies.

[quote]"If I'm silent then I'm enabling these people and I'm letting them win. They need to know that we're out there. That we're strong and that we have ideas and solutions."

If she supported McCain/Palin, that's about all we need to know about her "ideas and solutions". Like someone already said, she's NOTHING.

by Anonymousreply 5101/31/2011

Who?

by Anonymousreply 5201/31/2011

Ron Howard is a classic deluded republican. All the success he has had is due to nepotism. He won that award as a joke and was too dumb to even realize it.

by Anonymousreply 5301/31/2011

Who the fuck is Morgan Brittany?

by Anonymousreply 5401/31/2011

Clint Howard's most famous role:

by Anonymousreply 5501/31/2011

Morgan Brittany, is who now?

by Anonymousreply 5701/31/2011

[quote]He's just wrong and I'm right.%0D %0D Spoken like a true conservative. Belief in their own infallibility.

by Anonymousreply 5801/31/2011

[quote]Morgan Brittany, is who now?

The talk of Datalounge. She wins after all.

by Anonymousreply 5901/31/2011

R54/57 I believe she is some tv actress from the 70's/80's. She was on some primetime soap, I think.

by Anonymousreply 6001/31/2011

I always get her and Morgan Fairchild confused.

by Anonymousreply 6101/31/2011

""What is this, the blacklist?" she said. "They're not going to hire me because I have an opinion?"

The opinion is that your career peaked when your costar was an actual bear.

by Anonymousreply 6201/31/2011

[quote]"I came out of the closet. In Hollywood. I certainly understand that's dangerous," said Howard, an MTV Movie Awards lifetime achievement honoree.

O, credulous reporter.

That award, like many of the MTV movie awards, was conceived as a goof. Others who won that 'award' were Godzilla and Jason from the Friday the 13th movies.

by Anonymousreply 6301/31/2011

Hollywood hates gays too.

They have to hide who they are.

by Anonymousreply 6401/31/2011

Even Chewbacca has one.

by Anonymousreply 6501/31/2011

I think the saddest thing about that ghoulish waterhead Clint Howard is that the most important career achievement he can claim is that he is "an MTV Movie Awards lifetime achievement honoree". Hell, if it wasn't for Ron giving him bit roles in some of his movies he'd be unemployed.

by Anonymousreply 6601/31/2011

I walked out of THE DILEMMA before I'd have to sit through that fuggo's compulsory cameo appearance.%0D %0D He almost fucking ruins APOLLO 13.

by Anonymousreply 6701/31/2011

WHET Suzanne Cupito?

by Anonymousreply 6801/31/2011

There are so many queens in Hollywood that they hide their tiaras with much fear.It's OK to be a gay executive or a producer but an actor or actress? I think not. It's chic for women to be bi but not guys.

by Anonymousreply 6901/31/2011

I remember Morgan Brittany's Big Sad Eye work as she acted out the unbearable torment of being the pretty sister in the 70s version of The Initiation of Sarah.%0D %0D Morgan Fairchild was her sorority sister. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 7001/31/2011

[quote] Clint Howard played an alien in Star Trek:TOS wearing minimal make-up.

I always thought Chaka from Land of the Lost could have been Clint's long-lost missing link relative.

He really got the worst of the looks of both parents in that family.

by Anonymousreply 7101/31/2011

Don't rethugs EVER get tired of playing the victim?

by Anonymousreply 7201/31/2011

Put the tranya pipe down Clint. Your politics have nothing to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 7301/31/2011

[quote]'you're not a Republican?' I said, 'yep.' And he said, 'I can't even look at you. I can't even talk to you'.%0D %0D %0D I like the way Ed Asner thinks. I totally agree with him. NONE of my friends are Republicans. I wouldn't give a Pubbie the time of day.

by Anonymousreply 7401/31/2011

I ended a friendship over politics too. I got sick of the Fox talking points and "why do you hate America?" bullshit. I almost fell over when I was asked that. This was during Bush and I'm betting that she is a Palin supporting teabagger now.

by Anonymousreply 7501/31/2011

"If they can make money for 'em, producers will hire anyone (see Mel Gibson and his to-the-right-of-the-Pope views until he finally went off the deep end"

Exactly. There have been all sorts of successful Republicans who have gotten to the top - and have even won multiple Oscars. Mel Gibson is one. Clint Eastwood is another. John Wayne of course.

And many others in t.v. like Kelsey Grammer, Dixie Carter etc.

by Anonymousreply 7601/31/2011

[quote] John Wayne of course.

From a far different time, when Republican wasn't synonymous with "batshit crazy Teabagger loon."

by Anonymousreply 7701/31/2011

I'm a lifelong Democrat who has Republican friends. The extremists at both ends of the political spectrum are crazy. But there are reasonable, intelligent people in both parties.

by Anonymousreply 7801/31/2011

Here is Morgan speaking at a California Tea Party event:

by Anonymousreply 7901/31/2011

Don't use John Wayne as an example of a sane Main Street Republican. He was a Red baiter.

by Anonymousreply 8001/31/2011

It's one thing if Morgan wants to be a Republican. But he also wants to be involved with the Tea Party?

What's the matter with him?

by Anonymousreply 8101/31/2011

Here is Morgan getting bitch slapped by Victoria Principal!

by Anonymousreply 8301/31/2011

Um, R81? Morgan Brittany, nee Suzanne Cupito, is female.

by Anonymousreply 8401/31/2011

It certainly hurt my career.

by Anonymousreply 8501/31/2011

Morgan starring in a Visine commercial:

by Anonymousreply 8601/31/2011

R82, are Hollywood Republicans more pro-gay than regular Republicans? I assume Hollywood Republicans are conservative mainly in terms of their fiscal and foreign policy views, rather than socially.

If Hollywood Republicans were anti-gay I assume they wouldn't get very far?

by Anonymousreply 8701/31/2011

Clint, Hollywood doesn't hate you.%0D %0D It's just that Hollywood doesn't know who the hell you are.%0D %0D Now who are you, and what are you bitching about?

by Anonymousreply 8801/31/2011

...like James Caan,he went on and on about being a proud ultra-conservative and then he was asked about gay marriage and he responded with a "no comment"

by Anonymousreply 8901/31/2011

He needs to be forced to answer, R89

by Anonymousreply 9001/31/2011

Clint Howard has benefitted from affirmative action through his brother for the last 30 years.%0D %0D When Morgan Brittany was on a top ten show (Dallas) it stayed on the air. When Asner was on a top ten show (Lou Grant) it was cancelled. Supposedly Asner and Howard Hesseman (WKRP) both participated in a medical aid for El Salvador program and both their shows were canceled by William Paley on the same day.

by Anonymousreply 9101/31/2011

There are tons of conservative actors, they even become politicians. These people have a persecution complex and are crazy. I can't believe Morgan Brittany is really a fan of Reagan's central American death squad policy, which fuelled Asner's crusade. That crusade, by the way resulted in his ouster and the cancellation of his series by red baiting actors like Robert Conrad. It's the same tune played over and over again by conservatives. If you're liberal you've got to pay with your carrer.

by Anonymousreply 9201/31/2011

All that Visine in her red eyes and living in a blue state couldn't take the Republican out of the bitch.

by Anonymousreply 9301/31/2011

[quote]I assume Hollywood Republicans are conservative mainly in terms of their fiscal and foreign policy views, rather than socially.%0D %0D [R87]However, the people that they endorse, elect, and empower employ socially conservative methods restricting the freedoms of others in terms of choice, sexual freedom, and marriage equality - among other issues issues.

by Anonymousreply 9401/31/2011

Double dirt!

by Anonymousreply 9501/31/2011

[quote]Kurt Russell is also known to be a hard conservative, and he's always worked.

Really? I thought he and Goldie were hippie-dippie potheads who practically lived off the grid.

by Anonymousreply 9601/31/2011

Why do right wingers find it hard to comprehend that the worlds of entertainment and the arts will have many (not all) tolerant and progressive people? Many of us were drawn to the arts precisely because we imagined them as being more accommodating and open. What would the arts look like if it were dominated by people like Ron Howard, Patricia Heaton, and Adam Sandler? Plus, if the LA show business left is so powerfully intolerant, how in the world did Arnold S. become governor of CA? Who was the last liberal from Hollywood to hold political office?

by Anonymousreply 9701/31/2011

Warren please get some new glasses. Ron Howard is NOT a Republican, his brother Clint is.

by Anonymousreply 9801/31/2011

Money talks in Hollywood. If you sell tickets, or put butts in front of the TV, you can fuck animals, and no one will care. Being Republican hasn't hurt the careers of Clint Eastwood, Arnie, Chuck Norris, Tom Selleck, Patrica Heaton,or Bruce Willis, and it didn't hurt Mel Gibson until he went crazy and started smacking around women and attacking Jews. Even lesser stars like Adam Baldwin and Emma Caulfield work regularly even though they've been open about their politics. Hell, Shannen Doherty has been nuts and conservative for years, but she continued to get offered series roles because people would tune in to watch her. Now her career has slowed, most likely because of age, rather than anything else.

Most of the conservatives aren't that talented or popular, that's the real story. Maybe being more open to new experiences just makes you a better actor than someone who is by nature resistant to change. There are even some areas in the entertainment industry where conservatives dominate, like in Country Music, and look what happened to the Dixie Chicks when they went up against the war. There's no Republican actor who has ever had that kind of blacklisting happen to them for voicing their opinion. The conservative actors are just whiny no-talents playing the victim card, which is ironic, since they always accuse democrats of doing the same. Projection much?

by Anonymousreply 9901/31/2011

Kurt Russell is actually a libertarian, not a Republican. In other words, he wants you to leave his money the hell alone, but he doesn't want people in his bedroom, which considering his open relationship with Goldie, is probably a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 10001/31/2011

I'm not sure that I'd consider Clint Howard to be any less talented than Ron Howard.

by Anonymousreply 10101/31/2011

Directed a summer stock production MANY years ago and seemingly half my cast of young non-equity actors had just come off the road with Morgan Brittany in Mame.

Guess the Hollywood Star had no trouble working non-union as long as she got her own tour bus!

They all thought she was very nice, hard working and talent-free.

by Anonymousreply 10201/31/2011

No, Clint and Morgan, it's not because you're on the right, it's because you don't have the talent of a Kelsey Grammar or a Patty Heaton.

by Anonymousreply 10301/31/2011

They also told me not to wear or eat garlic!

by Anonymousreply 10401/31/2011

R104/Morgan Brittany here. Make that Morgan Brittany without an exclamation mark.

by Anonymousreply 10501/31/2011

Morgan Brittany was a really stunning woman when she was young, often compared to Vivien Leigh. Unfortunately, she didn't have Vivien's acting ability, which is why she dropped off the face of the earth once she got older. Her politics had nothing to do with it. Clint Howard has always been a character actor of no great ability, and he has benefited greatly from having a brother who is a successful director. I agree that Ron isn't exactly talented, either, though. Most of his films are well-crafted studio pictures that are lacking in any greatness or innovation.

by Anonymousreply 10601/31/2011

Here's a list of celebrity Republicans. Lots of famous names of people who get plenty of work.

by Anonymousreply 10701/31/2011

I also found a list of celebrity conservatives on the Free Republic, but I just CAN'T link to it...search at your own peril.

by Anonymousreply 10801/31/2011

Tommy Tune? According to that list, r70, Tommy Tune is a Republican!

by Anonymousreply 10901/31/2011

Kurt Russell is fug on a good day. Who else would take him besides Goldie?

by Anonymousreply 11001/31/2011

Goldie is a Libertarian. Kurt is a Republican. Both haven't worked in years, except on their faces.

by Anonymousreply 11101/31/2011

Clint Howard IS the face of nepotism.

by Anonymousreply 11301/31/2011

[italic]John Wayne of course.

From a far different time, when Republican wasn't synonymous with "batshit crazy Teabagger loon."[/italic]

John Wayne came right out and went on record that he was a white supremacist.

They are the same today as they were yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 11401/31/2011

Someone should remind them that a party that supports zero funding to the arts doesn't support THEM as actors. Rethuglican slash and burn to arts programs would put a lot of their peers and contemporaries in the arts field out on the street. What do they think about that?

by Anonymousreply 11501/31/2011

by Anonymousreply 11601/31/2011

I looked at the list at r107's link. Destiny's Child and Anderson Cooper are on the list. As conservative Republicans. Alright then.

I'm kind of with Ed Asner. I might not have cut someone off as thoroughly as he did, but I would be thinking every time I spoke to them this person has beliefs and votes in a way that is damaging to my life.

by Anonymousreply 11702/01/2011

Sylvester Stallone, Clint Eastwood, Tom Selleck, Angie Harmon, Robert Duvall, Drew Carey.

They all work.

by Anonymousreply 11802/01/2011

Clint Howard is a decent character actor. Where he lacks in the looks department, he makes up for his acting. He plays his roles well.

The problem with many conservative actors (real ones, not hypocrites like Mel Gibson or Kelsey Grammer types) is that they limit themselves. If I was a casting director I want someone who not only can empathize with a character who is morally and situationally deplorable, I want that person to think and become that character. Stepping into that role as if I was that person with all the complexity and weaknesses.

Actors like James Caviezel would rather not work than take on roles he morally objects to. That's great, but you can't blame Hollywood if you can't find mainstream work.

There was an actor who quit a leading role in a new pilot because he objected to nudity. He said he had wife and kids. He lost that job. Can he turn around and say that Hollywood hates him? What is the director and producer suppose to do? Rewrite the script to appease his morality?

By the way, Clinton Eastwood may be a Republican, but if you look at the films he's directed, they are populated by liberal to moderate actors:

Invictus Million Dollar Baby Mystic River

Maybe he knows something that Clint Howard and Morgan Brittany doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 11902/01/2011

[quote]Clint Howard is a decent character actor. Where he lacks in the looks department, he makes up for his acting.

His looks department isn't simply bereft, it seems to have been burnt to the ground!

by Anonymousreply 12002/01/2011

[quote]I ended a friendship over politics too. I got sick of the Fox talking points and "why do you hate America?" bullshit. I almost fell over when I was asked that. This was during Bush and I'm betting that she is a Palin supporting teabagger now.

Hmmm.. that's too bad. My best friend is a Libertarian (Ayn Rand Libertarian) and I'm a liberal. I love her to death and wouldn't trade her for anything. We don't talk about politics. When we do, we state our opinions and that's that.

by Anonymousreply 12102/01/2011

Ron Howard is on that list but his brother said he's liberal. Hmm.

by Anonymousreply 12202/01/2011

I've heard there are lots of closet libertarians in the Hollywood community. Rumor has it Angelina Jolie is one of them.

by Anonymousreply 12302/01/2011

r122 it's dubious list at best. Listing "Destiny's Child?" Do they realize that a group doesn't qualify as an individual?

It also listed Magic Johnson. MJ is not a Republican. He campaigned for Hillary Clinton. Whatever you may think of her, she's still not a GOP. Democratic Underground debunked this false rumor:

"They got most of their athletes (including Magic Johnson, Mario Lemieux, and Ernie Banks) from a list of associates of Steiner Sports. These athletes are booked through that company for autograph shows, appearances, and speaking engagements.

Anyone who follows Magic Johnson knew he wasn't a Republican, but I wanted to clear his name for the rest of DU who may not follow sports."

by Anonymousreply 12402/01/2011

The arts throughout history have never been an especially friendly place for people with conservative views. Theater, painting, music - these were where the unconventionals, the outcasts, the brilliantly crazy and free found a home. Is it any wonder that the modern film industry is essentially the same?

Re: Ed Asner - I once read an interview with him (maybe in Movieline?) in which he said he was a fan of Alice in Chains. He's fucking awesome.

by Anonymousreply 12502/01/2011

This surprised me.%0D %0D "John Malkovich is a conservative. Actor William Hootkins, who worked with Malkovich in BBC Television's Rocket to the Moon, stated, "In fact, he's so right-wing you have to wonder if he's kidding."%0D %0D Malkovich is also an atheist, so it isn't like he's some sort of Kristian Kook.

by Anonymousreply 12602/01/2011

Clint Howard and I have a mutual friend, so I've seen him from time to time. He is an idiot, and being educated on sets didn't help. Very jealous of big brother too, and without Ron, Clint wouldn't have a career. He had a massive coke habit in the 70's/80's, and I think turned to Jesus to get clean. Unbelievably ignorant guy. Loves Glenn Beck.

by Anonymousreply 12702/01/2011

R114, I need a link on that buddy. Wayne was married to a Mexican women and his children were half Mexican, can't see him being that radical.

by Anonymousreply 12802/01/2011

Doesn't anyone remember when Ed Asner was forced out of the SAG presidency because he took stances on political issues? Circa 1979.

by Anonymousreply 12902/01/2011

R107, that list has names of people who aren't even American. How can they even be classified as Republicans?

by Anonymousreply 13002/01/2011

Ronald Reagan carried California in both of his elections and, also during the 1980s, so did successor George Bush, the last Republican presidential candidate to win the state. Richard Nixon narrowly held Calif. -- mistakenly called on election night for John Kennedy -- back in 1960. Nixon won his home state in 1968 and 1972, and Gerald Ford held it in an election year so many other states narrowly held for him that should've gone to Jimmy Carter.%0D %0D %0D Are we to believe there are supposed to be a good deal of victims in Hollywood -- undoubtedly supportive of Dutch Reagan for president (as they were when he president of the Screen Actors Guild) -- because everyone else who is there is a Democrat? "I'm a Republican. People want nothing to do with me."

by Anonymousreply 13202/01/2011

"Wayne was married to a Mexican women and his children were half Mexican, can't see him being that radical."%0D %0D "Mexican" is not a race. John Wayne was married to a white Mexican. How would that preclude him from being a white supremacist?

by Anonymousreply 13302/01/2011

[quote] undoubtedly supportive of Dutch Reagan for president (as they were when he president of the Screen Actors Guild

When he was SAG president he was a liberal Democrat.

by Anonymousreply 13402/01/2011

R126, Malkovich also lives in France. How on earth does an American right-winger feel comfortable there?

I'd love to know what his old theatre buddies like Lanford Wilson think of his views.

by Anonymousreply 13502/02/2011

[quote]the meeting went awry after Bernstein noticed the cross Brittany wore around her neck. She said Bernstein told her: "You're going to have to lose that, honey. In this town, you can't be religious, and you can't be conservative."

Oh, I am totally sure this happened. It's so completely believable. Just like a godless liberal Jew to tell this chaste god-fearing Christian that she can't wear a cross necklace. Heathens, the lot of them.

by Anonymousreply 13602/02/2011

r136 he was only giving her career advice. Apparently, considering she dropped off the face of the earth, she didn't heed it.

Same goes with being gay in Hollywood. Many prominent out people are telling gay actors to stay in the closet if you want a career in Hollywood. Chad Allen probably wished he had done so.

by Anonymousreply 13702/02/2011

Why do conservatives go after Ed Asner so much? I remember back when Dennis Miller first revealed he was a Repub, he did a stand-up routine about how "lovable Eddie Asner" was against the death penalty, and how horrible that was and how people should know the truth about "Lou Grant". It was a live HBO special and my partner and I were shocked, especially when the audience was clearly agreeing with Miller.

I can't think of a single liberal comedian who would do something like that. Liberal comedians making fun of conservatives, yes, all the time. But Miller wasn't joking, he was giving a political speech to alert the public on who they were supposed to hate and distrust.

All the stories in this article have exactly the same tone: It's dangerous to be a conservative! They will conspire against you, your politics, and your religion! You must have a list of those that cannot be trusted with you at all times!

by Anonymousreply 13802/02/2011

Hilarious that Brittany references the blacklist. Erm, that was conservatives prosecuting Hollywood talent for being liberal, luv. Duh.%0D %0D Clint Howard probably gets more work than he deserves, thanks to his equally untalented brother.

by Anonymousreply 13902/02/2011

Guys, don't forget about Kirk and Candace Cameron.%0D %0D She's only making "family" movies, now.

by Anonymousreply 14002/02/2011

I think some of the people on that list, i.e. Rob Lowe, may be on there because they supported Arnold Schwarzenegger's campaign for governor. From what I gather, Arnold was very popular in the Hollywood community and not just with fellow conservatives.%0D %0D The Bernstein/Brittany incident sounds to me like he was giving her career advice too.%0D %0D Will we be seeing conservatives like Donny Osmond and Joan Rivers who supported Obama now considered to be liberal Democrats?

by Anonymousreply 14102/02/2011

[quote]Malkovich also lives in France. How on earth does an American right-winger feel comfortable there?

I'd love to know what his old theatre buddies like Lanford Wilson think of his views.

Remember, Malkovich came out of Chicago's Steppenwolf Theatre, where he was friends with fellow member Gary Sinise. They did OF MICE AND MEN on stage and film.

BTW, he left France. Apparently he loved the life there, but didn't want to bear his fair share of taxes there. Sounds like a typical Libertarian to me.

by Anonymousreply 14202/02/2011

[quote]Malkovich also lives in France. How on earth does an American right-winger feel comfortable there?

Same goes for Michael Moriarty in Canada.

What's with these American Libertarians ex-patriots settling in social democratic countries? The most right-wing in Canada is moderate compared to Right in the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 14302/02/2011

Easy R143...they want the benefits of "socialism" in their adopted countries (free health care, free public education, good public transit etc) but will fight tooth-and-nail to prevent their fellow Americans to have similar benefits back home.

by Anonymousreply 14402/02/2011

[quote]Guys, don't forget about Kirk and Candace Cameron.

Kirk visited my town a couple years agao to give a talk at a 'pregnancy center'. He is a crazed fundie loon.

by Anonymousreply 14502/02/2011

[quote]Why do right wingers find it hard to comprehend that the worlds of entertainment and the arts will have many (not all) tolerant and progressive people? Many of us were drawn to the arts precisely because we imagined them as being more accommodating and open.

More on this please. So basically many liberal people are drawn to the arts for political or social reasons, rather than artistic ones? Like 'let your freak flag fly' type of thing?

by Anonymousreply 14602/02/2011

Which one is Bible-Man, Kirk Cameron or Willie Aames?

by Anonymousreply 14702/02/2011

I don't know r147, but I Kirk Cameron worries me more than bankrupt (financially and morally) and drugged out Willie Aames.

Kirk is good-looking, charismatic and very passionate about his faith and prosthelytizing. He lives his faith. He's more persuasive. I saw his series called Way of the Master on TV once. It was an episode debunking evolution. Although I was rolling my eyes at what he was saying, I have to admit that he explained his Christian views so simply and articulately that a lost soul looking for God might be persuaded.

The Clint Howards and Morgan Brittanys don't really matter in the large scheme of things. It's the Kirk Camerons who are the reason why over 50% of Americans don't believe in evolution and believe world is coming to an end.

by Anonymousreply 14802/02/2011

Cameron is a hopeless closet queen. Iirc, I think it was Blue Agave (God rest his soul)who posted years ago that the right-wing fundie Kirk got his hole drilled by the right-wing Rick Schroeder. Twinkle, twinkle, fucking stars.%0D %0D The hilarous thing about the comments by Clint Howard is that he wants you to think he has talent--that he matters. LOL. He's a third-tier actor, for God's sake. Morgan Brittany? Honestly, who the hell knows her except for "Dallas" fans--and when did that program last matter?%0D %0D These people have way too much time on their hands. They are mediocre, stupid, and trashy.

by Anonymousreply 14902/02/2011

I think for never was actors like Clint Howard and Brittany Morgan, blaming liberals is much easier than being honest about your own lack of talent. It allows them to hang on to their delusions.

by Anonymousreply 15002/03/2011

They WISH Hollywood would hate them. That would mean that someone there actually cares enough for them to think and and speak about them. They're "Who again are they?" type of has beens.

by Anonymousreply 15102/03/2011

[quote]Malkovich is also an atheist, so it isn't like he's some sort of Kristian Kook.

You don't need to be Christian to be a conservative. Unfortunately, they come in all religious persuasions, as well as atheist.

by Anonymousreply 15202/03/2011

Anthony Hopkins must be conservative. I remember back when Ed Asner was the president of SAG, Anthony Hopkins (who was then at the height of his early Hollywood stardom) took out a display ad in Variety calling on Asner's ouster for leading SAG from a liberal point of view.

by Anonymousreply 15302/03/2011

From the looks of that recent clip, it appears that Morgan Brittany has turned to the solace of comfort eating to replace her non-existent career.

by Anonymousreply 15402/03/2011

I keep anticipating seeing a notice for "Clint Howard AND Morgan Brittany in The Topeka Women's Guild Production of 'The Music Man'. Held over for ONE WEEK ONLY. "

by Anonymousreply 15502/03/2011

"I keep anticipating seeing a notice for "Clint Howard AND Morgan Brittany in The Topeka Women's Guild Production of 'The Music Man'. Held over for ONE WEEK ONLY.""%0D %0D Hopefully it will be directed by Julie Taymor...

by Anonymousreply 15602/03/2011

I think he should have said, "Hollywood hates us, because we are really stupid."

by Anonymousreply 15702/03/2011

I have less respect for Libertarians then I do for Republicans. Libertarians are simply selfish. They think as long as they are OK, everyone else can go to hell. They also think poor people should pay the tax bill.

by Anonymousreply 15802/03/2011

What next -- are Dennis the Menace and Rula Lenska going to claim their Hollywood careers were stalled by evil liberals?

by Anonymousreply 15902/03/2011

[quote]Anthony Hopkins must be conservative. I remember back when Ed Asner was the president of SAG, Anthony Hopkins (who was then at the height of his early Hollywood stardom) took out a display ad in Variety calling on Asner's ouster for leading SAG from a liberal point of view.

Well, it's not definitive, but if you look at the charities he support, he doesn't seem very conservative to me. They're not directly political though...

From Wiki: He's an avid supporter of Greenpeace, patron of a program called Rehabilitation of Addicted Prisoners.

Is there such thing as a conservative who supports Greenpeace?

by Anonymousreply 16102/03/2011

"Guys, don't forget about Kirk and Candace Cameron."%0D %0D Uhh . . . why not?%0D

by Anonymousreply 16202/10/2011

Note to Clint Howard from Almighty God in Heaven...

" Snookums, you have that hideous face and body and it's your politics keeping you from getting acting jobs? In the venerable words of the Datalounge message board, oh dear".

by Anonymousreply 16302/10/2011

R158- bingo.

by Anonymousreply 16402/10/2011

Morgan Brittany should just thank her lucky stars and continue to make those stupid horrible dolls that are inspired from the Victorian era.

by Anonymousreply 16502/11/2011

Morgan makes dolls??

by Anonymousreply 16602/16/2011

At this point, the only dolls in Morgan's life are the ones she takes every day just to get by.

by Anonymousreply 16702/16/2011

God, I used to jerk off to Kirk Cameron's tight ass.

by Anonymousreply 16802/28/2011

Don't forget Scott Baio!

by Anonymousreply 16907/10/2011

I eat old conservative people's excrement.

by Anonymousreply 17110/26/2011

R172/R170, I have a feeling your definition of 'gay friendly' is different from mine.

by Anonymousreply 17310/26/2011

Alfred Hitchcock should have let those birds peck Brittany to death when she was an extra in "The Birds".

by Anonymousreply 17410/26/2011

[quote] Kelsey Grammer hasn't had success in nearly 20 years.

He was very successful in "La Cage" onstage recently.

by Anonymousreply 17610/26/2011

Clint's using his conservatism as a convenient excuse for his lack of work when the real culprit is the simple fact that he's untalented and visually hideous. If he wants to work he needs to think about going into radio or starting a career as a voice artist. Anything that keeps his ugly mug off the screen.

by Anonymousreply 17710/26/2011

I can't imagine why Clint's internet variety show wasn't a smash hit.

Scroll down at the link

by Anonymousreply 17810/26/2011

R179, if someone like Kelsey Grammar was made to live under the government he consistently votes for, he would've been given the death penalty long ago.

The reason people cannot understand the concept of a Republican in Hollywood is because the GOP is no longer simply about greed. Do I really have to go through the fucking laundry list with you of why the concept of a Rep. in Hollywood is stupid as hell in 2012?

by Anonymousreply 18009/20/2012

[quote] As for the rest of you, is name calling the best you can do?

Yes, why can't we be as erudite as the right who have spent the last four years screaming about a secret Kenyan Muslim Terrorist sympathizer trying to destroy the country?

[quote]That's all I ever hear from libs.

No, that is not all you hear. It is all you choose to focus us on because you're too much of a coward to respond to those who call out the GOP's hypocrisy - that would involve you acting like an adult.

[quote]Stopped listening or taking you guys seriously long ago.

Probably because you have no interest in debating seriously or listening when presented with facts.

by Anonymousreply 18109/20/2012

Remember, according to Regressives, its liberals that always play the victim card.

by Anonymousreply 18209/20/2012

Ron Howard is a hideous ghoul and hasn't been able to get work in many years unless it was something his brother was directing.

Who gives a fuck what this fat headed monster thinks.

by Anonymousreply 18309/20/2012

Clint, not Ron, R183.

by Anonymousreply 18409/20/2012

I love Ed Asner. And I do the same thing he does, when i find out someone is a republican I can even speak with them anymore.

by Anonymousreply 18509/20/2012

Shut up, Katherine!

by Anonymousreply 18609/20/2012

Does Clint know the only reason he even HAS a career is because of his brother?

by Anonymousreply 18709/20/2012

Morgan writes for Town Hall, now:

"Anger and hate are all they’ve got on the left. They are tired of being stymied by the Tea Party and the Conservatives so now it is all out war. We are like a nasty little rash that they just can’t seem to cure. Their policies have been tried and they have failed, but they seem to have blinders on and don’t waver from their objective. Whatever it takes, whoever it destroys, they need to stay in power to finish their makeover of America.

I want to give the American people more credit, but my heart sinks when I see so many of them drinking the Kool-aid and buying into the lies and distortions. When the question is asked to DNC convention goers as to whether or not corporate profits should be banned, the overwhelming reaction was YES.

Are you worried yet?"

by Anonymousreply 18809/20/2012

I guess I can understand the fiscal arguements these conservatives make, but how in good conscience can they support a party whose leaders want to legislate their personal Christian values and deny basic rights to others? Why are these people so terrified of social progress?

by Anonymousreply 18909/20/2012

Isn't this the same bullshit that Victoria Jackson always rants about, that she doesn't have a bigger career because she's a Conservative Christian and therefor ostracized by Hollywood? This is despite the fact that she has no discernible talent, no comedic or dramatic acting talent and one of the most annoying voices. Also, how many SNL veterans have actually gone onto post-show fame? When you look at the number of performers over time, the number of headliners is very low.

by Anonymousreply 19009/20/2012

[quote]Does Clint know the only reason he even HAS a career is because of his brother?

A Republican whose entire professional life is based on nepotism - such a rarity.

by Anonymousreply 19109/20/2012

These folks have apparently never heard of Rush Limbaugh, Michael Savage or Ann Coulter. Jesus H. Christ, talk about hate-spewing venom. There could be a list a mile long of those types of conservatives. Just take a trip over to lucianne.com or truerepublic.com and take a look.

I will certainly admit that liberals are opinionated, but I quite frankly seldom, if ever, hear that kind of crap coming out of the mouths of liberals like Rachel Maddow, Ed Schultz or even Randi Rhodes, as tough and abrasive as she can be sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 19209/20/2012

R192, it's an insult to maddow to even mention her. She has never engaged in anything similar to what the rest have done.

I mean I know Schultz and Rhodes mean well, but they've gone overboard at times.

by Anonymousreply 19309/20/2012

Ron Howard is a vile homophobe who makes movies where the f word is used 100's of times as a slander against gays.

So fuck you you ugly gay hater.

by Anonymousreply 19409/20/2012

You aren't welcome here, R195. Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 19610/12/2012

Thank God Hollywood is liberal. The conservatives are trying to destroy the US - and the world. Consrevative = hatemonger.

by Anonymousreply 19710/12/2012

Hollywood hates all of us to be honest. Lets face it, they choose comic books for movie topics. Or Vampires, Werewolves and Zombies.

Yet there are tons of fiction out there that would be fantastic on the big screen.

I speak of Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World", or Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land" or even to the gay Lefcourt's "The Dreyfus Affair" would be nice to see on the big screen too.

But alas, screenwriters don't want to take the risk. It's because part of it is we have a bunch of illiterates in those positions.

And that's the other thing - Hollywood is still targeting the youth market when the general trend in industrialized nations such as the U.S. is an aging population.

by Anonymousreply 19810/12/2012

R195 is the troll who always bumps these old threads.

If you have a problem with liberals, go get your entertainment from Branson.

by Anonymousreply 19910/12/2012

One of the best DL thread titles ever.

by Anonymousreply 20010/12/2012

If anything has failed the last 10 years it is the Bush tax rates.

by Anonymousreply 20110/12/2012

thank God for Clint Howard and Morgan Brittany.they can contatcme anytime,David gabbybrothermax@zoominternet.net

by Anonymousreply 20210/20/2012

Clint Howard is butt ugly. That's why no one wants to cast his ugly ass!

by Anonymousreply 20310/20/2012

The uglier less talented Howard brother is rebelling against his liberal successful brother. Fuck him.

And when did this hack get nominated for an MTV Lifetime Achievement award? Surely he did NOT - I barely remember him or Morgan Brittany.

by Anonymousreply 20410/20/2012

We all meet uninformed not-too-bright people in all walks of life. Why do we act all surprised and outraged when some of these people are part of the entertainment industry?

by Anonymousreply 20510/20/2012

I eat shit.

by Anonymousreply 20712/02/2012

You're why we hate you, Clint.

by Anonymousreply 20812/02/2012

R18 Leah Rimini is also a Scientologist which is far more egregious than being a Republican (in my book)

by Anonymousreply 20912/02/2012

Being a Scientologist is a egregious, but why is it far worse than being a Republican?

by Anonymousreply 21012/02/2012

Oh, Martina, you're so cute. Sandbox time is over. Go back to kindergarten and learn something.

by Anonymousreply 21112/02/2012

Angie Harmon?

Angie Harmon is practically retarded. Honestly, whenever I see or hear her I think "Oh, there's that special needs actress."

by Anonymousreply 21212/02/2012

I am done supporting Republican based businesses OR Republican actors. I'm just done. I'm not going to support anyone--actor, business, WHATEVER--who doesn't support me. AND there's no voting Republican today and claiming to support gays and lesbians. You can talk about supporting gay marriage and equality all you want, but a Republican vote cancels all that.

by Anonymousreply 21312/02/2012

They can't stand a taste of their own medicine?

Why shouldn't conservatives be shunned?

by Anonymousreply 21502/18/2013

I eat shit.

by Anonymousreply 21602/18/2013

Clint Howard is one of the ugliest men ever filmed. The only reason he gets any attention is that he is Ron Howard's brother.

by Anonymousreply 21702/18/2013

Let morons be morons , as for reagan him and his cohorts were the worst criminal political faction in the history of the u s even worse than both bush'e combined.

by Anonymousreply 21807/27/2013

Of course the only president ever to have had a career in Hollywood was a Republican ironically - Ronald Reagan

by Anonymousreply 22007/27/2013

Is Armie Hammer a Republican? I'm becoming suspicious.

by Anonymousreply 22107/27/2013

Morgan Brittany, if you're reading this. No one is checking for you, sweetheart. You are a washed up old hag. I am glad you have bowed out of Hollywood. The public does not want you anymore. Bye bitch.

by Anonymousreply 22207/27/2013

Why did Anne Archer become a Scientologist?

by Anonymousreply 22307/31/2013

[all posts by childish idiot removed]

by Anonymousreply 22503/24/2014

I'm just waiting for a grease fire to die in.

by Anonymousreply 22603/24/2014

The sad fact is, the government used to call liberals, communique, and blacklisted some really great talent. Get your fact straight, r224.

And really, bumping a thread originally from 2011? Get with the program Republiturd.

by Anonymousreply 22703/24/2014
Need more help? Click Here.