Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Maurice" Nude Scenes

One of the best gay adaptations to film ever! The scene: Both actors, Rupert Graves and James Wilby, are in bed. First, Graves straddles Wilby, putting Wilby's arms behind his head, and then Wilby turns Graves over, and does the same to him. Without a break in the film, Graves gets up out of bed completely nude. He walks around the side of the bed, with Wilby sitting on the edge revealing himself to also not be wearing anything. Both give full frontal in this scene. The question is, were their dicks/balls actually touching on another when they were on top of each other in the bed? I don't see anyway around it. I don't know what industry standards were back then, and I certainly don't know what the standards were in British film. The link contains a few pictures of the scene, but unfortunately not a frame-by-frame set up. You'll get the idea though. All in all, a hot, yet touching film!

by Anonymousreply 12804/10/2013

I love that film, but you can tell Graves is pulling off a cock sock right before he gets out of the hotel bed.

by Anonymousreply 101/30/2011

They both appear in CLAPHAM JUNCTION, made recently--they trade barbs across a dinner party table. Graves has aged well; Wilby not at all.

And Rupert loves to haul out his wedding tackle on film.

by Anonymousreply 301/30/2011

I remember I loved the film but I've forgotten the film...I need to rent it again.

by Anonymousreply 401/30/2011

The "Clapham Junction" scene was hysterical! Of course they were paired on purpose. Wilby shows Graves his penis in the bathroom. It wasn't a very good looking one unfortunately. Wilby has not aged well at all.

The extras on the "Maurice" DVD are wonderful. Rupert goes down on Wilby in a scene that was unfortunately cut.

by Anonymousreply 501/30/2011

[quote]The US DVD has a nice easter egg %0D %0D Not sure what you're saying. Does that mean scene is included as an easily accessed "extra" or do you have to hunt to locate it on the DVD?

by Anonymousreply 601/30/2011

Clapham Junction is like five years ago. It was done for some special Gay Rights occasion in GB and was ripped to shreds by critics and viewers at that time.

by Anonymousreply 701/30/2011

"Maurice" should be mandatory viewing for every gay male!

One thing I never understood though, what gave Scudder the impression that Maurice was gay? He climbs into his bedroom window suddenly, and begins making out with him. I never understood it.

by Anonymousreply 801/30/2011

I remember when Maurice was a book. I was in the midst of an unrequited love for a friend in college, so the Maurice/Clive scenes really affected me.

by Anonymousreply 1001/30/2011

r6, that's what Easter Eggs on DVDs are. You have to search for them very carefully, because they are not easy to spot or come across.

At the extra / deleted scenes section you have to press an arrow (up or down instead of back and fourth) button in order to get the extra hidden scene which isn't mentioned anywhere in the booklet or in the DVD menue.

by Anonymousreply 1101/30/2011

I love the movie! I remember watching it and being surprised (shocked) there was a happy ending. It's not really something you're taught to expect to happen to gay characters.

It's incredible that the book lay hidden for about 60 years, though.

by Anonymousreply 1201/30/2011

[quote]what gave Scudder the impression that Maurice was gay? %0D %0D Scudder found out about Maurice's collection of Judy Garland tapes.

by Anonymousreply 1301/30/2011

"CLAWHM" JUNCTION made in 2007, to mark the 40th anniversary of the decriminalization of consensual homosex.

by Anonymousreply 1401/30/2011

I think in the movie Scudder makes a leap of faith by assuming that Maurice rattling at the ladder and calling out in the dark is Maurice calling for him.

by Anonymousreply 1501/30/2011

r9, that was for

[quote]They both appear in CLAPHAM JUNCTION, made recently--

I wouldn't call Clapham Junction recently made.

by Anonymousreply 1601/30/2011

The book did not lay hidden. Forster did not want it published while he was alive. And he lived a long life.

by Anonymousreply 1701/30/2011

I think that Rupert has had some work done.%0D %0D James, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 1801/30/2011

One of the most heartbreaking final scenes in a movie ever.

Anne: "Who were you talking to?"

Clive: "No one. No one. I was just trying out a speech."

by Anonymousreply 1901/30/2011

R1, what's a cock sock?

by Anonymousreply 2001/30/2011

Gee, what do you THINK a "cock sock" is? It's not like the name doesn't exactly describe what it is...%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 2101/30/2011

I had such a crush on Scudder. I so wanted the story of this movie to be the story of my life. Alas, I remained single, never findin my Scudder.%0D %0D "Now we shan't never be parted..."

by Anonymousreply 2201/30/2011

Rupert Graves already admitted his bisexuality, and his past gay love affairs. Too bad he up and got married to a woman and had five kids. :(

The ending of the film where they basically suck each other's faces off, was actually the first scene they filmed for the film.

by Anonymousreply 2401/30/2011

Best film for young not yet out gay person to see after reading the book.

by Anonymousreply 2501/30/2011

I loved it when Rupert's character came to the bedroom of James's character and told me he knew, he knew -- and they went at it.%0D %0D Also love the last quarter of the film, when James's character tells Hugh's character that James's character -- unlike Hugh's character -- is not going to live an inauthentic life.

by Anonymousreply 2601/30/2011

Rupert has a nice foreskin. Does he like it sucked?

by Anonymousreply 2701/31/2011

I don't know, r27. I shall ask him.

by Anonymousreply 2801/31/2011

Rup kissing yet another bloke!

by Anonymousreply 2901/31/2011

What every became of James Whitby?

by Anonymousreply 3001/31/2011

"I remember I loved the film but I've forgotten the film..."

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 3101/31/2011

[quote]"Now we shan't never be parted..."%0D %0D %0D That is the heart and point of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 3201/31/2011

"A happy ending was imperative. I shouldn%E2%80%99t have bothered to write it otherwise. I was determined that in fiction anyway two men should fall in love and remain in it for the ever and ever that fiction allows, and in that sense Maurice and Alec still roam the greenwood.%E2%80%9D

- From E.M. Forster's wonderful preface to the 1971 edition

by Anonymousreply 3301/31/2011

Oh, me too. I had a huge crush on Rupert...

by Anonymousreply 3401/31/2011

Love this film.

by Anonymousreply 3501/31/2011

"Rupert Graves already admitted his bisexuality, and his past gay love affairs."

Link please

by Anonymousreply 3601/31/2011

Actually what he said R36 was that he'd had one 'relationship' but that he had to imagine the bloke was a women to enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 3701/31/2011

That's what I thought, R37. That's why I asked my question. I suspected someone above was exaggerating.

by Anonymousreply 3801/31/2011

Didn't Scudder see Clive kissing Maurice's hand and Maurice kissing Clive's through the window. Isn't that how he knew that Maurice was gay? After Clive leaves the bedroom and Maurice opens the window as the rian is falling, we can see Scudder watching Maurice and laughing from the wooded area

by Anonymousreply 3901/31/2011

Does Clive ever fuck his wife? In the film the wife cover's her face when she sees him undressing, like a little virgin girl and he just kisses her - a peck, actually - no passion no fucking and she looks disappointed.

I think Clive loses out because he doesn't even fuck his wife, probably never had.

by Anonymousreply 4001/31/2011

r39. Those incidents happened on two seperate nights. There's no scene that indicates that Scudder watched through the window when Maurice kissed Clive's hand.

by Anonymousreply 4101/31/2011

DLers who work in film: when actors are doing sex scenes (and they're not wearing body stockings or whatever they're called, do the guys ever get hardons? How do they handle that? I can't imagine NOT getting hard if I was rolling around with another naked body (no matter what sex he/she was)

by Anonymousreply 4201/31/2011

r42, I imagine it's like when people watch you pee and you happen to be pee shy.

by Anonymousreply 4301/31/2011

All the servants at Penge knew about Messrs Durham and Hall, and gossiped about it. Remember they were not very discreet when one of the maids was in the bedroom.

by Anonymousreply 4401/31/2011

[italic]That's what I thought, [R37]. That's why I asked my question. I suspected someone above was exaggerating.[/italic]

He also stated that he's 38% gay, whatever that means.

by Anonymousreply 4501/31/2011

I read the novel some years ago, but my recollection is that Forster paints Clive as someone who believes that his platonic affair with Maurice was indeed a "phase" that was indeed over. There's no simmering same-sex feeling underneath as there is in the film, and no whistful scene with Clive at the window at the end.%0D %0D The film is more credible in this regard and improves on the original.

by Anonymousreply 4601/31/2011

R46, the final passages of the novel, where Clive stares out the window and sees "his friend beckoning to him amongst the sounds and scents of the May term" and Clive's subsequent resolve to "conceal the truth from Anne" does indeed convey that wistfulness and the idea of a wasted life that he may well regret terribly.

by Anonymousreply 4701/31/2011

Merchant, Ivory, and Jhabvala were always very true to the novels. That was one of the reasons many critics in the UK derided their work, saying they were not really artists. Stephen Frears once referred to MI as "the Laura Ashley school of filmmaking" and "the rattling of teacups" or somesuch.

by Anonymousreply 4801/31/2011

[quote]I think that Rupert has had some work done.%0D %0D If he has it's very good work. I don't see any tell-tale signs of a lift or botox. His face seemed to be moving in Sherlock. If he's had work I want the person who did it to look at me.

by Anonymousreply 4901/31/2011

He just has one of those eternally boyish faces.

by Anonymousreply 5001/31/2011

It's amazing that Rupert never had a formal acting education. He also ran away and joined the circus as a kid. You can't make that shit up. I would love to have that as my back story!

"Maurice", the novel, actually contains a different ending in different editions of the novel.

by Anonymousreply 5101/31/2011

Thanks, OP, for starting this thread--I hadn't thought of this film in a long time.

I realize this is the queer version of Lady Chatterley's Lover, but it's still one of the very best gay-themed films ever made.

by Anonymousreply 5201/31/2011

bump

by Anonymousreply 5302/01/2011

r2, I went through my DVD trying to find the easter egg as you described the way to find it and had no luck.

by Anonymousreply 5402/01/2011

r54.

This easter egg is found on the DVD2 of the 2004 Criterion release of Maurice.

DVD 2 - click on "Deleted Scenes" - click on "Scene Index" - click on "Next" to get to the second page - Select "9. May I ask your name?" and click RIGHT (now the active selection spot should have moved to the lower left corner on the screen) - Click again and the easter egg should run.

by Anonymousreply 5502/01/2011

The only alternate ending I know of, R51, is the epilogue in which Maurice's younger sister meets him and Alec livibg as roving woodcutters. Forster removed it, as people he showed it to didn't like it. You should be able to find it online.

by Anonymousreply 5602/01/2011

sorry, it's the lower right corner of course (since you press "right").

by Anonymousreply 5702/01/2011

R54, did you try this?

by Anonymousreply 5802/01/2011

Oops.

Sorry! Hadn't seen R55's post.

by Anonymousreply 5902/01/2011

Could someone post the deleted scenes on youtube and then post the link here? Thanks in advance!

by Anonymousreply 6002/01/2011

Thanks, r55. Those boys are quite yummy!

by Anonymousreply 6102/01/2011

Rupert Graves plays Shakespeare in the recent movie "A Waste of Shame" in which he falls in love with the twinky Tom Sturridge.

by Anonymousreply 6202/01/2011

Deleted scene for the person who asked. Of course I sought out the bed scene, tee hee!

by Anonymousreply 6302/01/2011

I saw Maurice very shortly after I came out. I had a terrible adolescence trying to deny my sexuality, so Maurice affected me profoundly. I went on to read it and Forster's other gay-themed work. It was incredibly liberating to read that people had wrestled with these forbidden desires throughout history.

by Anonymousreply 6402/01/2011

Just so I understand, R63 is that the deleted scene that is the easter egg we have been discussing?

by Anonymousreply 6502/02/2011

No, the easter egg has a bunch of guys in the gym shower.

by Anonymousreply 6602/02/2011

Thanks so much for that link to the deleted scenes. I never knew there were any such scenes, never mind so many of them. It gave me an even deeper appreciation of the film, especially the converstion scene between Clive and Maurice near the end ("What a grotesque announcement!"), which is much longer than in the finished product.

by Anonymousreply 6702/02/2011

What other Forster work is gay-themed?

by Anonymousreply 6802/02/2011

They had gym showers in those days, R66?

by Anonymousreply 6902/02/2011

r69, they're in a shower-type area splashing buckets of water on each other.

by Anonymousreply 7002/02/2011

In the deleted scenes kindly linked by R63, it looked to me like the one boy was grabbing the others cock through the sheets, and at the end of that scene he was headed down to suck the other boy's cock.

No wonder they had to delete it.

by Anonymousreply 7102/02/2011

'The Life To Come' is a collection of his short stories, written between 1903 & 1960. A few of the stories have gay themes, often to comical effect.

by Anonymousreply 7202/02/2011

Is Rupert Graves gay?%0D

by Anonymousreply 7302/02/2011

35-40% gay, r73, so he claims.

by Anonymousreply 7402/03/2011

OP has never heard of editing obviously.

by Anonymousreply 7502/03/2011

The opening theme (right when the film's title appears) gets me every time.

by Anonymousreply 7602/03/2011

r75, obviously has comprehension issues.

by Anonymousreply 7702/03/2011

The only time I ever really liked Hugh Grant in a role, despite his cowardice.

by Anonymousreply 7802/03/2011

[quote] One of the most heartbreaking final scenes in a movie ever. Anne: "Who were you talking to?" Clive: "No one. No one. I was just trying out a speech."

AND, as he is closing the house up, dismisses Wilcox, latching the shutters against the windows he makes it to the final window but can't close it as he sees an image of Maurice urging him on from his youthful Oxford days. Anne leans on his shoulder looking wistfully out the window with hope as Clive grimaces at her touch, the music crescendos to an unresolved chord (fantastic Robbins score, by the way) with Clive's faced touched by an unrelenting and unresolved eternal sadness - fade to black. DEVASTATING.

I saw this movie my freshman year in college at the school library while I was still in the closet and it caused me to come out, leave my school and move across country to another school to find my current husband of fifteen years, utterly changing my life.

Merchant/Ivory will always have a profound place in my heart because of that movie. It was a (an overused word in the case of acting and film) very courageous film in its time. I think it still is.

by Anonymousreply 7902/03/2011

After looking at all the deleted scenes via the link posted above, I also looked at several other scenes (The British Museum, the hotel scene, the final boathouse scene, the final scene battening down the windows (locking himself in the closet, so to speak) and it only reaffirms my belief that this is really one the greatest male love stories ever put on film.

by Anonymousreply 8002/03/2011

I can't believe this thread is still going. I guess I'll have to rent Maurice again.

by Anonymousreply 8102/03/2011

It's available in 14 parts (10 minutes segments) on youtube.

by Anonymousreply 8202/03/2011

I can't wait to see it on Blu-Ray.

by Anonymousreply 8302/03/2011

"I realize this is the queer version of Lady Chatterley's Lover"

It was the other way around, actually. I believe Forster wrote the novel and the Scudder character first and showed it to D.H. Lawrence.

by Anonymousreply 8404/21/2012

R79 That's the power of art. Nothing "Mary" about it! Great story.

by Anonymousreply 8504/21/2012

[quote][R1], what's a cock sock?

It's a special kind of Easter bonnet, Rose!!!

by Anonymousreply 8604/21/2012

r42 - I've heard that some actors will jerk off before shooting a sex scene to reduce the probablity of getting an erection. I heard that about Ryan Phillipe. Others do it I'm sure.

by Anonymousreply 8704/21/2012

[quote]Merchant, Ivory, and Jhabvala were always very true to the novels

Not so. The novel is very different, in an important way, from the film.

In the novel, Clive becomes miraculously straight halfway through.

It seems very inauthentic to modern readers and was rightly changed.

by Anonymousreply 8804/21/2012

And Jhabvala famously did not want to write this movie because of her own prude religious beliefs, and the movie's script does feel choppy, although the Scudder love story was the highlight.

The lowlight? Ben Kingsley's horrendous American accent. Was there no American on set or in the screening room to stop that from happening? Oy!

by Anonymousreply 8904/22/2012

Maurice was such a groundbreaking gay movie at the time it was released. It's hard to imagine that being the case, but it was. Even the happy ending was a rare thing.

I just can't imagine a love like that happening back in Edwardian England. Imagine how hard it must have been to find love with a same sex partner. I feel so sad for so many generations of gay people who got married to the opposite sex and never really knew true love.

by Anonymousreply 9004/22/2012

OH, I'm so glad this thread was bumped along with every other one that ever has been posted, in order to give the illusion of traffic and life as people tear each other apart on every recently created thread. At least here in the DL crypt it's nice and quiet.

by Anonymousreply 9104/22/2012

Also, Merchant/Ivory wanted Julian Sands (who was in Room with a View) to play Maurice, but he declined because he didn't want to "play" gay in a movie.

by Anonymousreply 9204/22/2012

[quote]I remember when Maurice was a book.

It's still a book, dear. They didn't burn all the copies just because it got made into a film.

by Anonymousreply 9304/22/2012

Very funny, r93! I will have to watch Maurice again now.

It must have been brave for young actors like Wilby and Graves to have played gay so well back then ... can you imagine young American actors now being so explicit? (Heath and Jake were never that intimate together in BBM), would today's youngsters like Zac or Taylor rise to the challenege, of course their managers and agents would not let them. Playing gay in 1982's Making Love didnt exactly help the careers of Harry Hamlin and Michael Ontkean (?) - a different time I suppose.

Graves is on tv a lot now in England, and I have seen him on stage several times - Wilby is now back acting again in smaller parts. It was interesting seeing them re-teamed in the vile Clapham Junction some years ago (what annoyed me about that was the guy having his Civil Partnership was trying to pick up the waiter who turned out to be the guy who was attaked on the Common later ... while James and Rupe meet in the public toilet and then later at the fancy dinner party).

by Anonymousreply 9404/22/2012

Graves was still hot in a little seen movie called THE WAITING ROOM. And don't forget the first time we saw his pecker was as Freddy skinnydipping in A ROOM WITH A VIEW. Unfortunately, he also had to see Mr. Beebe (Simon Callow) as well.

by Anonymousreply 9504/22/2012

There's also an Easter egg in which James Wilby gets out of bed and stands naked in front of a mirror -- a nice full-frontal shot. I jerked off to that scene many times in my younger years since Wilby is just my type.

by Anonymousreply 9604/22/2012

Rupert is on the new Sherlock series with Benedict Cumberbatch. He's got a silver fox thing going these days.

by Anonymousreply 9807/03/2012

[quote]And Jhabvala famously did not want to write this movie because of her own prude religious beliefs...

You mean her prudish religious beliefs as a Jewish agnostic? This statement is false. She just didn't think it was a good book and didn't want to adapt it.

by Anonymousreply 9907/04/2012

I feel the film was miscast. James Wilby should have been Clive and Hugh Grant should have been Maurice. Clive was supposed to be thin with red hair and Maurice was supposed to be brunette.

by Anonymousreply 10007/04/2012

Well, Maurice was supposed to have a solid rugby-playing physique, which would have fitted rather better in the boxing scene at the mission, where the whispy Wilby looks a bit silly (Grant wouldn't have been much better). The broad-shouldered Julian Sands (who pulled out of the part at a very late stage, apparently, with Wilby pretty much whisked straight into the filming) would have been more appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 10107/04/2012

Scudder, I'll leave the window open for you. Please come. And come again

by Anonymousreply 10208/03/2012

What do you think, r20?

by Anonymousreply 10308/03/2012

What happened after the boathouse scene? There's now way two men could survive in that society, let alone 2 men from different social classes, right?

by Anonymousreply 10410/14/2012

I always wondered that, but I just accept the happy ending.

Damn, I need my own "Scudder" in my life.

Sigh.

by Anonymousreply 10510/14/2012

Fortster's deleted epilogue portrayed Maurice and Scudder as woodsmen (i.e., traveling hired hands) who lived together in a cabin in England. They were saving up to emigrate to America.

by Anonymousreply 10610/14/2012

Is a cock sock one of those terms you circ trolls made up for a foreskin?

by Anonymousreply 10710/15/2012

That's actually a great story, R79.

by Anonymousreply 10810/15/2012

I'm a little verklempt reading this thread.

by Anonymousreply 10910/15/2012

I love that in the movie WEEKEND, one of the guys mention jerking off to Rupert Graves' cock (in A ROOM WITH A VIEW). I wonder why they didn't use MAURICE, which used a longer lingering shot of that lovely piece if meat.

by Anonymousreply 11012/01/2012

As has been posted before the story was based on two gay friends of Forster that he lived with for a couple of years. A great deal of the story is based on real life. The woodsmen part is true as well.

by Anonymousreply 11112/01/2012

More Maurice memories, please.

by Anonymousreply 11202/17/2013

R38= pathetic self-loathing loser.

by Anonymousreply 11302/17/2013

Can someone please explain the poor woodsman epilogue to me? I can understand masquerading as woodsman, but why wouldn't Maurice avail himself of his inheritance and tuck it away?

by Anonymousreply 11402/19/2013

In the movie it was 1914, the eve of war. The only place they were going was death in the trenches. That is one reason the thing was so poignant for me, because Scudder would have been better off in Argentina.

by Anonymousreply 11502/19/2013

R114 - I posted above that the Woodsman aspect was from the real life story of the guys he based Maurice on.

by Anonymousreply 11602/19/2013

Maurice is a GREAT film - let's hope that Blu-ray gets issued soon. It deserves it.

by Anonymousreply 11702/19/2013

I don't see a point in a Blue Ray release when there are several DVD releases including the aformentioned Criterion release with a lot of DVD extras.

It's not like they can magically turn the original footage from the 80s into digitally crisp clear frame images or even turn it into a 3D feature.

by Anonymousreply 11802/19/2013

The Criteron release is crude - I want the Blu-ray so I can appreciate the original better. Why not see if the best it can be?

by Anonymousreply 11902/19/2013

Maurice...yum.

by Anonymousreply 12002/19/2013

r116, no, I know...I'm just wondering why they seemingly left behind Maurice's wealth. Even masquerading as woodsman to raise money to go to America, why wouldn't they have put some money aside and just taken the trip?

by Anonymousreply 12102/19/2013

I am wondering about that myself. Since Maurice must have amassed some sort of wealth while working in that stock brokering firm wouldn't that money be enough for him and Scudder to have a sheltered life far away from the place that shuns him for being gay? Or did Maurice give all his money to his family that is burdened with the scandal of a homosexual son who fell in love with the common help?

by Anonymousreply 12202/20/2013

Rupert Graves was heaven in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 12304/10/2013

The entire film is up on YT:

by Anonymousreply 12404/10/2013

I love that Rupert admitted to dabbling in the homosex.

by Anonymousreply 12504/10/2013

The entire Clapham Junction is also up on YT:

by Anonymousreply 12604/10/2013

Wilby = Ginger. The only Ginger who's aged well is Tina Louise.

by Anonymousreply 12704/10/2013

I love Rupert Graves. Even now. And it all started with that movie.

by Anonymousreply 12804/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.