Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

The movies stars made that they hate

We all know Patty Duke hated Valley of the Dolls for a long time. And Faye Dunaway still hates Mommie Dearest.

But I remember reading an interview with Shirley MacLaine right after Bewitched came out and she pretty much shut down the interviewer with a sentence like "Why do you think I would want to talk about that THING?".

What other movies did stars regret making - and come to hate?

by Anonymousreply 14706/11/2014

Hugh Grant, I've read, gets in a lather whenever "Lair of the White Worm" is mentioned, used sometimes to insist that interviewers not ask about it, and didn't list it on his resume despite some much smaller, much cheesier roles that were faithfully reported.

by Anonymousreply 101/28/2011

OP, that title wins a Razzie in the category of Grammar Atrocity.

by Anonymousreply 201/28/2011

I heard somewhere that Barbra Streisand hates What's Up, Doc?

by Anonymousreply 301/28/2011

Didn't Sir Alec Guiness loathe the Star Wars movies after a time?

He got sick and tired of having them mentioned to him all the time.

by Anonymousreply 401/28/2011

A young teenage boy came up to Alec Guinness begging for his autograph, and told him he had seen "Star Wars" over a hundred times. "I'll sign it if you agree to one promise," Guinness told the boy. "Anything you want, Obi-Wan Kenobi!" the boy enthusiastically replied. "You must never, ever watch it again," Guinness said, as he signed the boy's autograph book.

by Anonymousreply 501/28/2011

Mia Farrow probably regrets making all those films with Woody Allen.

by Anonymousreply 601/28/2011

Halle Berry -- "Catwoman" (later publicly called it "a piece of shit")

Katharine Hepburn -- "Suddenly Last Summer"

Jessica Lange -- "King Kong"

Barbara Stanwyck -- "Mexicali Rose" (later publicly called it "an abortion")

by Anonymousreply 701/28/2011

After winning a Razzie Award for Catwoman, Halle Berry thanked Warner Brothers for casting her in that "piece of shit".

Christopher Plummer calls the Sound of Music the Sound of Mucus.

by Anonymousreply 901/28/2011

Christopher Plummer famously called "The Sound of Music" "The Sound of Mucus" when he filmed it, but he later recanted and apologized, and has pointed out that he adored even at the time working with Julie Andrews (they remain close friends and mutual admirers to this day), and that he is today grateful the film made him so famous and has touched so many people.

by Anonymousreply 1001/28/2011

Glenn Close - 101 Dalmations

by Anonymousreply 1101/28/2011

Bogart and Bergman thought that 'Casablanca' was a corny beyond belief when they were filming.. Even though it was an immediate success it still took a good while before either of them could understand what all the fuss was about.

by Anonymousreply 1201/28/2011

Faye Dunaway really needs to get over "Mommie Dearest" and do what Patty Duke did with "Valley Of the Dolls," which is just embrace it for the hilarious camp that it is and acknowledge how much joy and laughter it has brought to so many people over the years.

by Anonymousreply 1301/28/2011

Peter Sellers - most of the Inspector Clouseau films.

by Anonymousreply 1501/28/2011

Cybill Shepherd hated doing "At Long Last Love"--not because the finished product was so crappy, but because the filming conditions were supposedly awful and she hated the hot lights

Julia Roberts hated doing "Hook," and she and Steven Spielberg wouldn't speak to each other quite a while afterward. She says it's because she was yanked around in a harness and couldn't work with other actors (all her scenes were done on green screen in isolation), but everyone else says because she was getting over a heroin addiction and was acting not only like a spoiled brat but like a crazy person.

by Anonymousreply 1601/28/2011

[quote]Faye Dunaway really needs to get over "Mommie Dearest" and do what Patty Duke did with "Valley Of the Dolls," which is just embrace it for the hilarious camp that it is and acknowledge how much joy and laughter it has brought to so many people over the years.%0D %0D I think Faye's problem is that she thinks doing "Mommie Dearest" ruined her movie career. To laugh at that movie is just too bitter a pill to swallow. I image it's much easier for Patty Duke to learn to laugh about "Valley of the Dolls"%0D

by Anonymousreply 1701/28/2011

R16, she was acutally going through her breakup with Keifer Southerland at the time, and was just plain miserable.%0D

by Anonymousreply 1801/28/2011

Funny you should mention it... I'm watching "Hook" right now. On Starz Kids & Family HD.%0D %0D What an awful movie.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1901/29/2011

The former model Jessica Lange owes her movie career to "King Kong" - not surprised someone as pretentious, humorless and self-important as that old cow would disown this corny movie rather than acknowledge she came up the same way many other - better - actors did and still do. Steve McQueen's first leading role was "the Blob". Lange needs to realize she's no different than anyone else in the business. Her plastic surgery actually reveals her authentic ugliness. No wonder Sam Shepard cheats.

by Anonymousreply 2001/29/2011

Sam Shepard doesn't cheat on Jessica Lange. They're no longer together.

by Anonymousreply 2101/29/2011

My very favorite movies were the ones I made in the 60's and 70's!

by Anonymousreply 2201/29/2011

Rutger Hauer comments on his more memorable film roles:

by Anonymousreply 2301/29/2011

Betty Grable used to refer to THE FARMER TAKES A WIFE as "The Farmer Takes A Dump".

by Anonymousreply 2401/29/2011

Joan Collins in Empire of the Ants.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 2501/29/2011

R21 Lange and Shepard are still together?

by Anonymousreply 2601/29/2011

The problem with Lange in KONG is that no one knew what an amazing actress she was. Her part was of a vapid, talentless actress and once it was released everybody thought she was a talentless, vapid actress. It nearly ruined her career before it even started and it took about six years before anybody took her seriously.

And Dunaway is right, MOMMIE DEAREST did ruin her career, or at least her standing. She was the best actress of her generation and she was a JOKE after that scenery chewing piece of shit performance (ever see the follow up? Faye Dunaway as Joan Crawford as Evita Peron?) of course, THE WICKED LADY didn't help either....

by Anonymousreply 2701/29/2011

A recent one... Ryan Gosling hates "All Good Things."

by Anonymousreply 2801/29/2011

Barbra provides audio commentary on the DVD of "What's Up Doc?", so I can't imagine she hates that film.

And Dunaway needs to get over herself; "Mommie Dearest" was the best thing she did in the 80s' until "Barfly". She should be apologizing for "Supergirl", instead. She needed to join weight watchers after all the scenery she ate on that film.

by Anonymousreply 2901/29/2011

Holly Hunter in "The Burning" ( in a non-speaking part).%0D Also in The Burning is a young Jason Alexander...

by Anonymousreply 3001/29/2011

Ashton Kutcher -- all films that he did.

by Anonymousreply 3101/29/2011

r2 - I know, and you're right. I just couldn't figure out another way to phrase it.

Movies Hated By Their Stars? I guess that's better.

by Anonymousreply 3201/29/2011

Godzilla publicly said He hated doing "Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla". Constant Script re- writes and a nasty cocaine problem made filming a nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 3301/29/2011

Here's Halle Berry accepting her Razzie. I love that she parodies her own Oscar speech from a few years before.

by Anonymousreply 3401/29/2011

[quote]Barbra provides audio commentary on the DVD of "What's Up Doc?", so I can't imagine she hates that film.

It's only for a few select scenes, and as pointed out on the other thread, she offers very little and sounds bored throughout. I believe "What's Up Doc" was originally only available as part of a special Streisand DVD box set for which she provided some commentary on each film, which is probably the only reason she agreed to comment on that particular film.

Isn't Michelle Pfeiffer pretty chilly if anyone brings up "Grease 2"? That's another case where she should just embrace it and have fun with it.

by Anonymousreply 3501/29/2011

Reply 29--Barfbra probably didn't dislike taking the money she got.

by Anonymousreply 3601/29/2011

Dick Van Dyke didn't like almost any of his movies. He hated the way Ann Margaret became the focus of BYE BYE BIRDIE. He drank heavily while making CHITTY CHITY BANG BANG and remembered the experience unfondly. Most of his other films were sheer crap.

He has one indisputable masterpiece with MARY POPPINS but even he knows that his dreadful attempt at a Cockney accent is one of the worst ever heard on film.

by Anonymousreply 3701/29/2011

The fact that Faye was ruined by "Mommie Dearest" just shows how off the charts that movie is. She was in 3 classics - Bonnie and Clyde, Chinatown and Network. She could have had a career like M, or at least Glenn. Mommie Dearest has so much longevity as a train wreck that it almost eclipses Dunaway's other work. I'm not surprised she hates it because its really not her fault. She's just acting in a different movie than the director and editor came up with. Either the director didn't tell Faye to take it down a few notches or she ignored him when he did. It feels like she's giving a performance without any knowledge of where the camera is or how the scene will be edited.

by Anonymousreply 3801/29/2011

Jessica Lange said on 'Charlie Rose' that Hush, or whatever it was called, was a crap film. I never heard her say anything bad about King Kong and I agree with R27. R20 sounds like a hater.

by Anonymousreply 3901/29/2011

John Hurt apparently began to hate Heaven's Gate before he actually finished filming it...%0D %0D And Richard E Grant and Sandra Bernhard's loathing of Hudson Hawk is also well known.

by Anonymousreply 4001/29/2011

Leo DiCaprio didn't want to do Titanic and talked shit about it for a while before his PR reigned him in.

by Anonymousreply 4101/29/2011

Sorry for being a broken record on this subject (what an archaic phrase--a nicked CD? a corrupted MP3?) but Faye Dunaway's performance in "Mommie Dearest" was right on the money. I had a mother who used to go into hysterical fits of rage and she was JUST LIKE THAT. Even as a helpless child I was torn between being scared and wanting to laugh.

by Anonymousreply 4201/29/2011

Richard Dreyfuss thought JAWS was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 4301/29/2011

I agree with 42 - Dunaway is great in MD. It the director who faltered and let her down because the direction was just so pedestrian.

by Anonymousreply 4401/29/2011

R42, I had an abusive mother and I thought Faye nailed the terrifying volatility and malignant narcissism of an abusive parent. She exploits others: every interaction is all about her and making other people serve her needs, no matter how inappropriate. True to classic abuser form, blame is externalized onto the victim.%0D %0D I still laugh at the movie and appreciate its camp aspects. I agree with R38 that the director did not do Faye any favors in that film.

by Anonymousreply 4501/29/2011

Bette Davis and Beyond the Forest owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 4601/29/2011

Paul Newman took out a full-page ad in a trade paper apologizing to anyone who might have seen him in The Silver Chalice.

by Anonymousreply 4701/29/2011

George Clooney freely admits that his first film was "The Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" but rather than tell interviewers he won't talk about it, he laughs about it.

by Anonymousreply 4801/29/2011

Jamie Lee Curtis has had a love/hate relationship with "Halloween" for years. There are times where she embraces it and other times where she dismisses it.%0D %0D Same with Tim Curry and "Rocky Horror" Appreciates the success and the fans it has given him but rarely is willing to talk about it.

by Anonymousreply 4901/29/2011

The only films Jessica Lange regretted doing until 1997 or so were Everybody's All American and Losing Isaiah.

She gave a great interview in the mid nineties to James Lipton on Inside The Actors Studio..

Of course she ended up regretting Hush (but she sure looked like she enjoyed making it, the character was a scream)

She said that EAA had the wrong director (it was Taylor Hackford) and a bad chemistry amongst the cast (i.e. Dennis Quaid and John Goodman were fucking assholes)

Re: Losing Isaiah, she said she hadn't worked in a while and her agent was very concerned and made her take this film. She was solid in it but the film ended up being very wishy washy on the issues and kind of sold out, and I am sure that bothered her.

I know she has mentioned that A Thousand Acres was a big disappointment, I think alot of that blame falls on Jane Campion. (I think she directed it?)

by Anonymousreply 5001/29/2011

r20 = bruce willis

by Anonymousreply 5101/29/2011

[quote]The problem with Lange in KONG is that no one knew what an amazing actress she was. Her part was of a vapid, talentless actress and once it was released everybody thought she was a talentless, vapid actress. It nearly ruined her career before it even started and it took about six years before anybody took her seriously.%0D %0D Yeah, R27. I think people recognised that she was capable of more than what she was given to do in King Kong. (And, erm, Jeff Bridges was in King Kong too, a film which won a special Oscar for visual effects. Things may have moved on rapidly in that field after King Kong but - at the time - it was impressive, at least to kids. As a kid myself, it seemed about in the same league as the original Superman with Christopher Reeves.)%0D %0D She won a Golden Globe for Best Acting Debut in a Motion Picture - Actress (an award they probably created for her) and her next film was Bob Fosse's All That Jazz. I'm sure after King Kong she waited a bit to re-emerge in films were better suited for her - there isn't a lot of fat on her film resume at the start of her career. I'm sure How To Be The High Cost of Living was a useful preparation for Tootsie - at least she wasn't repeating herself. Her next film was The Postman Always Rings Twice and...she's still working. (And later made Hush.)%0D %0D I don't understand all the Jessica Lange hate around her. You bitches are just jealous that she fucked Misha and Sam Shepard. And has their spawn!! Lighten up, bitches. R20 is clearly insane.

by Anonymousreply 5201/29/2011

Jessica Lange is my all time favorite actress. She mesmerizes me. I don't care if she is a cunt. She has admitted that she is a very lonely person in many ways. She is also very private.

by Anonymousreply 5301/29/2011

The problem with Everyone's All-American was that Jessica Lange was just too old for the part. She was 39 and NOT convincing as a college co-ed.

by Anonymousreply 5401/29/2011

I thought Hepburn was fabulous in Suddenly Last Summer. That movie is underappreciated and utterly brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 5501/29/2011

Part of an interesting interview with Jessica Lange:

Jessica Lange By Ann Roth

April 2006

She launched her career with a celebrated flop, then proceeded to surprise the critics with some of her generation's most searing performances. Renowned costume designer Ann Roth gets the scoop from a woman who has never shied from taking chances or stopped exploding expectations.

[Jessica Lange and Ann Roth are shown to a quiet corner table at Gotham Bar and Grill in New York City. It's 3 p.m., and the lunch crowd has mostly dispersed. With the tape recorder whirring between them, they settle in for the following conversation.]

ANN ROTH: I was just remembering seeing you in Bordeaux while you were making Cousin Bette [1998]. Was that a great experience?

JESSICA LANGE: I wasn't all that thrilled with my work in it, nor with how the film turned out, but I had a wonderful time doing it. I mean, we were in that chateau, living out there among the peacocks and the exotic gardens. And we had a great cast. So any dissatisfaction is with my own work.

AR: I've heard you say that a few times in your life. Do you think that you could love 70 percent of your work? That's a number that keeps coming up for me. I feel like I got 70 percent of it right, whether it was exactly what I was after or something else. That's not a percentage that makes me happy, by the way.

JL: Well, sometimes the odds are against you-the director doesn't know what the hell he's doing, or something falls apart in the production, or you're working with an actor who's just unbearable and there's no chemistry. But there are also times when I feel I let myself down, and usually it was because I was distracted-I was thinking about the kids or my relationship.

AR: Did you have satisfaction with doing Titus [1999]?

JL: I did, because it was the first time I had tackled Shakespeare. And working with Tony Hopkins was great-

AR: I just have to interject here because I remember going over to your house and you were making a huge pot of soup. You had some kids there, your sister and her daughter were there, and it was a very Minnesota moment. [Lange laughs] But you were in the midst of doing Titus!

JL: For me, nothing has ever taken precedence over being a mother and having a family and a home. I've been thinking a lot about next year, which will be the first time in 25 years that I don't have a child at home.

AR: Do you already feel free thinking about it?

JL: No, I actually feel a certain trepidation. But, I'm thinking to myself, Now, just as an experiment, if I could work straight through for that year, the way I've never been able to approach this acting business because of not wanting to leave home and not wanting to drag the kids somewhere, what kind of experience would that be? Would my work get better? Would I discover something?

AR: Of course you would. And you will! Talk to me about Bonneville, the movie which you recently finished.

JL: Oh, it was great! It was the first film in I can't tell you how long that was actually a joy to do. I'd have to go way back to some of the great experiences like Sweet Dreams [1985] or Music Box [1989] or Blue Sky [1994] or Rob Roy [1995] to find anything that compared. It was exciting material and a great group of people. There was this collective energy between Kathy Bates and Joan Allen and me. The way it just fell into place and ended up being the three of us was perfect. Who knows, maybe the film will turn out well. It's an interesting story.

AR: Oh, it's a very good story. What tends to draw you to a script?

JL: It comes down to something really simple: Can I visualize myself playing those scenes? If that happens, then I know that I will probably end up doing it. The worst is when I talk myself into something. Sometimes you take things because you want to work with a certain actor, or you want to work with a director, even if the script or the part's not that great.

AR: Are there any roles that you regret not having done?

JL: Yeah. There are a few, but I hate to speak about them because it's not so nice for the person who ended up doing them-I mean, I'd hate for somebody to do that to me. But my greatest regrets are for the ones that I shouldn't have done.

AR: What's the regret for?

JL: That I wasted my time. You know what it's like-you're on set and your kids are little and they're back at the rental house or out having a little excursion. They're going somewhere, they're doing something, they're having fun; something happens in their life that day, and you're sitting on a set somewhere with a group of jerkoffs [laughs]. That was always the hardest for me.

AR: What can you tell me about making Sweet Dreams?

JL: That's another one of those films that were just blessed. I remember the first time I went out to Owen Bradley's barn, you know that famous recording studio outside Nashville, and I was so intimidated. I remember thinking, I can't do this, and I certainly can't do it in front of anybody. When I first started working on that project, he explained to me the difference between Patsy Cline's voice and most other country-western singers. He said that unlike the others, Patsy actually had operatic range.

AR: Oh, that must have made you breathe easier! [both laugh]

JL: Yeah. But boy, when I saw Walk The Line-what they did and how they worked on their voices-I was so impressed. I worked on my voice for Sweet Dreams but only to match my speaking voice to Patsy's actual singing voice. That was my way into that character. All I did for months before I started filming was drive around New Mexico in my little bathtub Porsche with Patsy Cline blasting on the tape player. It was so much fun, and it was a very liberating part for me to do because it made me open up.

AR: Well, you weren't Jessie in that role in any possible way. The bra alone-

JL: Oh, yes, another great touch of yours. [both laugh] But also, Karel Reisz [who directed the film] always made me feel so secure. I wonder how it is that some directors these days have no sense of how to make actors feel like they can do anything, and that it will all be all right. Actors can always alter their performance, but you've got to have the sense that no matter what you try, it's okay-even if you screw up.

AR: Yeah. You must feel welcome to do whatever. There's not that sort of cowboy approach of "Let's go crazy here" with so many young directors these days. How did King Kong [1976] come to you?

JL: I had been living in Paris studying mime with Etienne Decroux. And I came back to Minnesota during the Watergate scandal because I wanted to witness the downfall of Richard Nixon. That autumn, instead of going back to Paris, which I had intended to do, I went to New York and started taking acting classes. So I was taking classes and waitressing at night at the Lion's Head, and I was also registered with Wilhelmina modeling agency - although I never made any mony as a model. Then just before Christmas in 1975, the agency called me about this huge cattle-call audition for the film, and because they knew I was serious about acting and was taking classes, they were recommending I audition for it. The agency sent me and this other girl to Hollywood to try out. So I went out there, auditioned, and they gave me the part.

AR: Was it torture, or was it easy?

JL: It wasn't something I thought twice about. To begin with, it was just so much fun that they flew me out there. I was on the studio lot, and they got me a suite at the-what hotel was it? The Beverly Wilshire? I mean, I was a waitress living in a fifth-floor walk-up in the Village at the time.

AR: Who directed the film?

JL: John Guillermin. It was released right before Christmas. What's weird is that this last King Kong also came out right before Christmas. It was haunting because it brought back to me what it was like being in the eye of that hurricane in 1976 when our King Kong was released. Of course, my situation was very different from Naomi Watt's [star of the new King Kong], who already had a career, and who was already considered an evolved actress at the time of the film.

AR: What about Frances [1982]?

JL: This is a funny story. When I was taking acting classes, my coach said to me about Frances Farmer, "There's this book you should read, and if they ever get around to making a film of it, you should think about doing it." And then time went by-I did King Kong and returned to New York and was back studying acting and Bob Rafelson cast me in The Postman Always Rings Twice [1981]. ANd while we were shooting, the editor, Graeme Clifford, got involved with this script of Frances. Graeme told me he'd sit in the editing room all day watching me up there, and all the time he was imagining me as Frances. It was one of those years when everything just explodes; Shura [Lange's daughter] was born, I met Sam [Shepard, Lange's long-time partner], and I moved to California.

AR: You were married at the time, right?

JL: I was married, and Mischa (Mikhail Baryshnikov] and I were still together too. It was a horrible mess, and I'm not going to say anymore about that! [laughs] But yes, I got divorced that same year. Anyway, Shura was born in March of '81, and I started shooting Frances in October or November of that year. That was another long shoot.

AR: Now, what is this piece you're going to shoot in Nova Scotia?

JL: Sybil. Remember that book about the woman with 16 personalities? It's that. This young, very talented actress, Tammy Blanchard, is in it.

AR: When did that project appear?

JL: When I was shooting Bonneville in Salt Lake City. It's being made by CBS. TV is sort of the only way to go for an actress my age to make a descent salary; with independent films, you just can't.

AR: Do you like the script?

JL: I do. And if the director shoots it the way he wants to, which is really almost like a film noir or mystery movie, it could be very interesting.

AR: How long will you be there?

JL: Three or four weeks, and then I go to Mexico. After that there are all these possibilities:" Will Grey Gardens actually happen? Will Cheri actually happen? They're both great roles and movies I'd really like to do, but they're not mainstream pieces, so who knows what'll go on with them. And there was another project based on that book [The Secret Life of the Lonely Doll, about model, photographer, and children's book author Dair Wright] that Julian Schnabel talked to me about that i would love to do.

AR: He's a really good director. I read an interview he did with Mickey Rourke for Interview recently, and you oculd tell he'd gotten an awful lot of understanding about the world we inhabit. Now, the new Wim Wenders film, Don't Come Knocking, which Sam [Shepard] wrote. Are you pleased with it? Have you seen it?

JL: I haven't seen the finished cut. But it's a very interesting film, and it's very Sam and very Wim. So I did that, and then i did Broken Flowers, and both were about men searching for their progeny. That kind of coincidence always surprises me. There's that "collective unconscious" out there that you're able to tap into. Like, I remember the year I did Country [1984] a few other films about families losing their farms came out.

AR: How about A Thaousand Acres [1997]?

JL: Not a good experience. The book was great, but the film was a disaster.

AR: So what else?...Were you a cheerleader growing up?

JL: Oh, dear God, no. I never fit in anywhere, Ann, and I'm telling you the truth. I try to go back and think, Okay now, where was it that you belonged? And I can't. I never felt like I belonged in Minnesota when I was growing up there. That's why I was out the door as soon as I turned 18. The only place I've ever felt was really my home is my cabin up north. Do you know that last line from A River Runs Through It?-"I am haunted by waters." There's something in the water up there that connects me to that place. But there's also this sense of isolation and loneliness about it that I've never been able to shake.

AR: Do you dislike that feeling?

JL: I don't mind it - I mean, I've lived with it my whole life. [laughs]

posted by MarkAlexisP at 1:44 PM Thursday, February 23, 2006 KING KONG

by Anonymousreply 5601/29/2011

I've had a lot of interactions with Jessica Lange over the past few years thru my job and she is a total sweetheart in person.

Didn't Richard Dreyfuss talk a bunch of shit about Poseidon?

by Anonymousreply 5701/29/2011

Why didn't Aaron Spelling ever catch Jessica Lange for one of his awful prime-time soaps?

by Anonymousreply 5801/29/2011

I think Lily did not [heart] Huckabees.

by Anonymousreply 5901/29/2011

Jane Campion didn't direct "A Thousand Acres". It was directed by Jocelyn Moorehouse, whose career was ruined when Russell Crowe pulled out of "Eucalyptus" at the last minute citing a poor script and throwing dozens of people out of work.

by Anonymousreply 6001/29/2011

In a way Valley Of The Dolls ruined Patty Duke's movie career but she found a new career in TV, which for many years proved very valuable for her and her many fans...

by Anonymousreply 6101/29/2011

Hunh, #61? VOTD was AFTER her eponymous sitcom ended in the '60's. It was her first adult role, but with a lame director her performance was allowed to go way over the top.%0D %0D But that's the definition of camp: when straight people attempt to be serious, but fail.

by Anonymousreply 6201/29/2011

[quote]Will Cheri actually happen?

Interesting that she was considered for Cheri. Didn't Michelle Pfeiffer ended up doing it?

by Anonymousreply 6301/29/2011

end up doing it, not ended up

by Anonymousreply 6401/29/2011

[quote]I don't understand all the Jessica Lange hate around her. %0D %0D Jeeze, the HATE troll is back. If you don't love something and genuflect before it, you get labeled as hating it. Go away r52 and take your sicko HATE accusations with you.

by Anonymousreply 6501/29/2011

Since you ask: I don't love Jessica Lange. I find her strident, self-important, and self-conscious onscreen. I never, ever believe one of her performances. I feel like I'm watching a department store mannequin.

And as she's gotten older and surgically altered, I find her genuinely hard to watch.

But to each his own.

by Anonymousreply 6601/29/2011

Well, Leo DiCaprio thought that TITANIC was going to be a disaster. That's why Leo lost his chances for an Oscar nomination, however he doesn't regret working with Kate Winslet.

by Anonymousreply 6701/29/2011

My understanding is that Leonardo di Caprio and Kate Winslet just adore working with each other, though I don't think either of them has done his or her best work with the other.

by Anonymousreply 6801/29/2011

Bette Midler had a real problem with "Jinxed" from what I remember or was it that her co-star Ken Wahl didn't fall under her spell?

by Anonymousreply 6901/29/2011

I read a newspaper interview with Bette Midler when I was in college where Bette said she did not get along even the slightest bit on the set of "Jinxed!" with either Ken Wahl (famously an asshole--though Bette herself is supposedly no treat to work with), her co-star, or Don Siegel, her director. She had a breakdown either toward the end of shooting or just after it, where she would hyperventilate and hysterically shriek out to her assistants, "I'M BECOMING THE ROSE! I'M BECOMING THE ROSE!" (a reference to the Janis Joplin0-like character she had played the year before). Eventually she was hospitalized.

by Anonymousreply 7001/29/2011

I heard that about Bette Midler on "Jinxed". Apparently, Ken Wahl did not kiss up to Bette, or fall madly in love with her. It really bothered Bette that she didn't get her way.

by Anonymousreply 7101/29/2011

Michelle Pfeiffer did "Cheri" a few years back; she was criminally overlooked for an Oscar nomination.

Lange would have been all wrong for that role; and she's way too old (and looks it) for the part.

by Anonymousreply 7201/29/2011

r72, I couldn't even get through Cheri, it was a total snoozfest.

by Anonymousreply 7301/29/2011

I heard Brandon Lee regretted making "The Crow," same goes for Vic Morrow and "The Twilight Zone."

by Anonymousreply 7401/29/2011

Each to their own, R73. I thought it was a lovely film, with a beautiful performance from Pfieffer (and I'm no fan of this sort of film, normally).

by Anonymousreply 7501/29/2011

Did that SYBIL remake with Tammy Blanchard that Jessica talks about in that interview ever happen?

Did it ever air? We know her GREY GARDENS did, and that wasn't even on the horizon when that interview was given...

by Anonymousreply 7601/29/2011

[quote]The problem with Lange in KONG is that no one knew what an amazing actress she was. Her part was of a vapid, talentless actress and once it was released everybody thought she was a talentless, vapid actress. It nearly ruined her career before it even started and it took about six years before anybody took her seriously.

6 years? I don't think so. Her next film was All That Jazz and she had an Oscar less then six years after King Kong was released.

[quote]And Dunaway is right, MOMMIE DEAREST did ruin her career, or at least her standing. She was the best actress of her generation and she was a JOKE after that scenery chewing piece of shit performance (ever see the follow up? Faye Dunaway as Joan Crawford as Evita Peron?) of course, THE WICKED LADY didn't help either....

Faye could have recovered but was making bad film choices even before Mommie Dearest. Difficult to work with and her awful plastic surgery killed her career. Fonda may have not been better then her, but from 77-85 she for the most part picked great material and wasn't afraid to share the spotlight or even be upstaged by other performers. Ellen Burstyn, Glenda Jackson, and Liv Ullmann were better actresses then Faye.

Faye can't completely blame MD for her downfall. By the time MD came out, most of the actresses of her era were being eclipsed by Streep, Spacek, Lange, and Winger.

by Anonymousreply 7701/29/2011

Marilyn told Truman Capote that "Niagara" was a "stinker". But it's one of my favorite films of hers. She's beautiful and deliciously wicked as the adulterous wife. Filmed on location and a terrifying climax!

by Anonymousreply 7801/30/2011

More of the Jessica Lange interview R56 - to shut up the haterz!%0D %0D How can you not like her? And she was always vocally anti-Bush!

by Anonymousreply 7901/30/2011

Bette Davis pretty much disparaged all of the movies she made before she sailed for England in violation of her Warner Bros. contract, except Of Human Bondage, which I think was made on loan out for a different studio. %0D %0D Jezebel was the first film she made for her home studio that pleased her. After that, it was hit after hit for quite a few years.

by Anonymousreply 8001/30/2011

[quote]The problem with Lange in KONG is that no one knew what an amazing actress she was. Her part was of a vapid, talentless actress and once it was released everybody thought she was a talentless, vapid actress%0D %0D Pauline Kael didn't. In her review of "King Kong," she wrote that Lange reminded her of Carole Lombard.

by Anonymousreply 8101/30/2011

R62 I was talking about a career in Movies not a TV show. And when I said she found success in TV I was again talking about TV movies. The topic is MOVIES!

by Anonymousreply 8201/30/2011

Bette hates "Ruthless People". There was some interview she gave once where she said she called Danny Devito before the premiere and they both thought it was a piece of crap that was going to tank. %0D %0D I don't think she's particularly fond of any of the comedies she made at Disney.

by Anonymousreply 8301/30/2011

I don't think RUTHLESS PEOPLE bombed. It wade $71 million at the box office, which would be like $137 million today.

by Anonymousreply 8401/30/2011

[quote]Mommie Dearest has so much longevity as a train wreck that it almost eclipses Dunaway's other work.%0D %0D I imagine that's what she resents. In that ranting voicemail of hers that was made public, she didn't refuse to talk about Mommie Dearest, but she couldn't understand why people are so fixated on it. She hates that people don't talk about her other work.

by Anonymousreply 8501/30/2011

M hates "Still of the Night"

by Anonymousreply 8601/30/2011

by Anonymousreply 8702/22/2011

I would guess that Dunaway probably got pissed over the years because MD DID eclipse her other important film work in terms of public fascination. She had a very solid of film work before that wretched film. I bet interviewers must have LED with questions about Mommie Dearest and that pissed her off. I can understand why. That being said, getting a sense of humor about it would have been her best bet.

by Anonymousreply 8802/23/2011

Burt Lancaster hated Airport (calling it something like "the biggest pile of crap ever made"), even though it made him a ton of money thanks to a percentage deal. Likewise, Gene Hackman never participates in anything Poseidon Adventure related (for which he was paid a flat salary.)%0D %0D Joan C. said of Reunion in France:%0D %0D "Oh, God. If there is an afterlife, and I am to be punished for my sins, this is one of the pictures they'll make me see over and over again. John Wayne and I both went down for the count, not just because of a silly script, but because we were so mismatched. Get John out of the saddle and you've got trouble. At least I had a nice collection of gowns to wear. (Seriously, by this time I think a bad script intimidated me to the point where I just surrendered. The fight was gone; I let personal problems override professional judgment, and I just swam with the tide. That's a terrible thing to say, but it's true, and now I regret it. I had enough clout to fight back and I didn't do it.)"

by Anonymousreply 8902/23/2011

Hasn't Susan Sarandon basically disowned Rocky Horror?

by Anonymousreply 9002/23/2011

Sean Connery pretty much retired after The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. %0D %0D Harrison Ford openly trashed a movie he made called "K:19" when he was supposed to be promoting it. I remember him on Letterman asking the host, "Would you see a movie called K19? I wouldn't. What's a K19 anyway?" He was probably stoned at the time.

by Anonymousreply 9102/23/2011

Surprisingly, Maclaine has very little good to say about The Children's Hour. Apparently she has political reservations about it, feeling that Martha should have fought for her rights instead of kill herself. This is sad to me because Maclaine fails to see that Martha represents a lot of people who couldn't deal with their sexuality and checked out, an event that sadly happens even today, and that besides being a remarkable movie in so many ways, The Children's Hour, was way ahead of it's time in the early 60s, let alone in the 30s when it hit Broadway, in providing a sympathetic and sensitive depiction of a lesbian woman. To me, it is a beautiful movie, superbly filmed by Wyler, with wonderful work by Audrey Hepburn, James Garner, Miriam Hopkins, Fay Bainter, and all the children, and one of Maclaine's most passionate, beautiful performances. It also surprises me that Maclaine can't accept that a tragedy as superbly structured - Hellman was nothing if not a master of the well made compellingly conventional drama - should have a tragic ending.

by Anonymousreply 9202/23/2011

Speaking of Harrison Ford, he has never even SEEN Hanover Street, his WWII romance with Lesley Anne Down and Christopher Plummer. He says he will break down and watch it when 50 people have told him they liked it and he's nowhere near that total.

by Anonymousreply 9302/23/2011

Didn't MacLaine appear in The Celluloid Closet to remark on The Children's Hour?

by Anonymousreply 9402/25/2011

Michael Douglas -- A CHORUS LINE.

by Anonymousreply 9502/25/2011

Jean Seberg thought PAINT YOUR WAGON was bad. Didn't attend the premiere. She was also coming off a nasty breakup with co-star Clint Eastwood.

by Anonymousreply 9602/25/2011

by Anonymousreply 9703/10/2011

Patty Duke has every right to hate VALLEY OF THE DOLLS. It's not every actress who has an Oscar taken away from her after a truly shitty performance.

by Anonymousreply 9803/10/2011

"Harrison Ford openly trashed a movie he made called "K:19" when he was supposed to be promoting it. I remember him on Letterman asking the host, "Would you see a movie called K19? I wouldn't. What's a K19 anyway?" He was probably stoned at the time."

Fun fact - K19 was directed by Oscar winner Kathryn Bigelow. Wonder if Ford sent her flowers last year?

by Anonymousreply 9903/10/2011

We all hate many movies we've done and we'll say so.%0D %0D However, we all love the money we made off them.%0D %0D In most cases, we all read the scripts in advance and signed up anyway for the money.%0D %0D I mean, c'mon, wouldn't you?%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 10003/10/2011

Elizabeth Taylor in Butterfield 8

by Anonymousreply 10103/10/2011

r100 I think for the most part what they read didn't always translate well to the screen.

by Anonymousreply 10203/11/2011

Liza Minnelli hated the way her father's final movie for her turned out.%0D A MATTER OF TIME aka NINA aka FILM OF MEMORY (orriginal shooting title).

by Anonymousreply 10303/11/2011

102, what's an example of a script that reads well in print, but ended up being a crappy flick?

by Anonymousreply 10403/11/2011

by Anonymousreply 10508/29/2011

"Bogart and Bergman thought that 'Casablanca' was a corny beyond belief when they were filming.. Even though it was an immediate success it still took a good while before either of them could understand what all the fuss was about."%0D %0D This was a case of the whole world swallowing the coolaid and eventually Humphrey and Ingrid joining in. I will never understand the love for that movie, which has every trapping a classic movie should have, without a single ounce of authenticity.%0D

by Anonymousreply 10608/29/2011

Linda Darnell thought "No Way Out" was her only good film. What she could possibly have had against "A Letter To Three Wives" is anyone's guess.%0D %0D Robert Ryan, a great actor who rarely got projects worthy of his talent, thought most of his movies were awful.

by Anonymousreply 10708/29/2011

For simplicity, I'll simply link to the IMDB listing of all movies Madonna has made.

by Anonymousreply 10808/29/2011

[quote](ever see the follow up? Faye Dunaway as Joan Crawford as Evita Peron?)

Peron was before Crawford.

With Gowns by TRAVILLA!

by Anonymousreply 10908/29/2011

Christopher Plummer talks shit about Sound of Music.....

UNLESS it's reunion time or time for a new DVD release. And then he throws back some bourbon, puts a smile on his face and goes out to SPARKLE NEELY SPARKLE.

I'm sure he gets a cut of the profits. And getting to lech at the young women who played his daughters is just a big ole bonus for Chris "I Drank It or Fucked It" Plummer.

by Anonymousreply 11008/29/2011

TV movie that Patty Duke hates is "Curse of the Black Widow" starring Patty Duke and Donna Mills.

by Anonymousreply 11108/29/2011

[R76] I think that the Blanchard Sybil did air on CBS at some point. I got about ten minutes in and just gave up.

Love me some Tammy Blanchard, though. She and Judy Davis as Garland = made of win.

by Anonymousreply 11208/29/2011

Christian Bale, Newsies

This is what happens when your drunken dad is your manager.

by Anonymousreply 11308/29/2011

I don't know how anyone affiliated with 'The Rocky Horrow Picture Show' could be ashamed of it. It's such an enduring cult classic and one that's actually got some sophistication to it, rather than just being pure cheese (like 'Grease'). It also holds up really well and is probably THE best musical film of the 70s. If Tim Curry or Susan Sarandon are embarrassed by it, they're nuts!

by Anonymousreply 11408/29/2011

eek, I mean the 'The Rocky HORROR Picture Show' of course!%0D %0D *slaps self*

by Anonymousreply 11508/29/2011

Jessica lange was great in king kong(1976) and The Postman Always Rings Twice(1981). Those were Jessica Lange's 2 Best Movies,she also was very hot in therse movies.You know the Rumor is she had sex(fucked) Jack Nicholson in the Postman always rings twice. I think she did,also Jack was eating her out for real.

by Anonymousreply 11610/23/2012

Bette Midler never really talks about Jinxed. But then nobody really ever asks either.

For a long time Raquel Welch hated talking about Myra Breckinridge but she got over it and did a (sometimes hilarious) commentary for the DVD release.

by Anonymousreply 11710/23/2012

[quote]Gwyneth hated A View From The Top, like the rest of us...

Goop called it "A view from my ass" while filming.

by Anonymousreply 11810/23/2012

I think a lot of actors hate/resent being known to the masses for one particular role when they have a huge body of work that goes unrecognized.

Stockard Channing hates being thought of as Rizzo from "Grease."

My brother was present when Alan Rickman got testy with audience members who kept asking questions about "Die Hard." Can't recall what Rickman was promoting at the time.

by Anonymousreply 11910/23/2012

R116 - I agree about Jessica.

Katherine Heigl and Knocked Up.

by Anonymousreply 12010/23/2012

Joan Crawford hated her portrail in RAIN 1932 even thought its a solid performance.

by Anonymousreply 12110/27/2012

Since I can't find a thread on Jessica Lange. Her one great performance was in Men Don't Leave. I totally underrated film. Especially when she's just throwing the cupcakes out the window.

That is all.

by Anonymousreply 12210/27/2012

[quote]101 Dalmations

Oh dear.

Why does everyone spell this wrong?

It's Dalmatians.

by Anonymousreply 12310/27/2012

Jodie Foster hates "Siesta" and it's director Mary Lambert

by Anonymousreply 12410/27/2012

For you, R122.

by Anonymousreply 12510/27/2012

Vic Morrow probably regretted making Twilight Zone. Briefly.

by Anonymousreply 12610/27/2012

Don't mention "The Day The Clown Died" in front of Jerry Lewis!

by Anonymousreply 12710/27/2012

R127, was that the sequel to "The Day the Clown Cried"?

by Anonymousreply 12810/27/2012

The main principals in The Rocky Horror Picture Show (TimCurry, Susan Sarandon and Barry Bostwick) went through quite a long period of disavowing the cult classic. Only very recently have they even acknowledged it (with a smile).

by Anonymousreply 12910/27/2012

r124, I have always wanted to see Siesta again. It's not on DVD but I just found it on Youtube.

The music was a masterpiece and I did like the story around it. I will admit that Jodie's part was a big ???

What was her dislike of the director?

by Anonymousreply 13010/27/2012

And it's Ann-Margret, not Ann Margaret.

by Anonymousreply 13110/27/2012

Clark Gable's ONLY massive bomb was a film called Parnell, 1937, where he played a sensitive Irishman. I think he even cried in it. Audiences hated it and he never again played a sensitive, sappy character that could remotely be considered "weak" or unmanly. He hated that it bombed but I think he probably hated even more that the film sealed his fate as far as his screen image. All he EVER played was a variation of himself after that. I bet he regretted not being able to at least attempt anything with range.

As a side note, one of the reasons, among many, that he was hesitant to do GWTW was because Rhett Butler was the ONLY character he played EVER for whom the female main character was not sure from the first frame on that she wanted him. We all know how Scarlett was fickle and indifferent about him for much of the film.

by Anonymousreply 13210/27/2012

Fun fact: The director, Mary Lambert, picked up the script in Annie Lennox's dressing room.

From an interview with the director where she describes watching the film with Miles Davis:

[quote]We watched the movie and at one point and there was a scene with Jodie Foster and Ellen Barkin and he said to me: "Those two should sleep together." I had to explain to him that the movie was already shot! The eroticism between them is hinted at in the movie and he definitely picked up on it!

I bet Jodie didn't like that.

by Anonymousreply 13310/27/2012

R133 here. My post was about SIESTA.

by Anonymousreply 13410/27/2012

They sure don't mind doing the roles and collecting the paychecks, do they?

by Anonymousreply 13510/27/2012

Bette Davis HATED "Where Love Has Gone" (1964), calling it "a stinking piece of crap that paid for my daughter's wedding."

Davis plays a monstrous mother, but complained that there was no scene or scenes in the movie that showed her as truly being a monster. Davis added, "And unfortunately, Miss What's-Her-Name [Susan Hayward] got top billing." (Hayward reportedly rejected the idea of any new scenes for Davis, and insisted that the script be shot as it was originally written.)

by Anonymousreply 13610/28/2012

Harry Hamlin doesn't care much for "Making Love". But, to me he is very appealing in it.

by Anonymousreply 13710/28/2012

Barbra and Ryan O'Neal hated "What's Up Doc?" The stories about it are enumerated in Peter Biskind's book "Easy Riders, Raging Bulls."

First they attended a screening of, I think, "Bringing Up Baby" with Hepburn and Cary Grant Peter Bogdanovich arranged to bring them up to speed on the film's tone. They hated it and spent most of the film talking through it bagging on the wardrobe and hair. Later, when "Doc" was screened at the studio, Barbra fled the room in hysterics, telling her agent that she'd made box office poison.

Joan Crawford hated both "Reunion in France" and "Johnny Guitar". I think both are great.

by Anonymousreply 13810/29/2012

I can't imagine how anyone would think What's Up Doc was bad. Does she now obviously recognize how good it is? Outside of Funny Girl, it's her best movie.

by Anonymousreply 13910/29/2012

I remember reading that Babs dismissed both Bringing Up Baby and What's Up, Doc? as being full of juvenile humor. Apparently she and the painfully unfunny Ryan O'Neal would count the number of lines their characters had in the script. Babs was very concerned that the supporting cast (Madeline Kahn, Kenneth Mars and Austin Pendleton) had too many lines and were potential scene stealers, which, of course, they all turned out to be.

Babs and Ryan are the unfunniest parts of that movie. The rest of the cast is an absolute delight.

by Anonymousreply 14010/29/2012

[quote] We all know Patty Duke hated Valley of the Dolls for a long time.

No, we don't all know that, in fact I know the opposite. Patty has always said she thought it was a great dramatic role, and what she hated was its popularity as camp. She didn't like that people were laughing at something she took very seriously. Not being about to recognize it as an embarrassment calls into doubt her taste level. One of my movie guides said she gave one of the screechiest performances ever committed to celluloid.

by Anonymousreply 14110/29/2012

to whoever said patty gave a shitty performance in votd

FUCK YOU! it wasnt shitty at all, over the top at times yes, but not shitty.

by Anonymousreply 14203/02/2013

by Anonymousreply 14309/08/2013

R141 you are wrong. what she did say was that she thought it was going to be a great dramatic role. When she saw the screening she realized what a embarrassing job she did and the movie was terrible. it took a many years to realize that it was not as bad as she thought it was and she could enjoy the fun of it.

by Anonymousreply 14409/08/2013

R142 = Michael Musto

by Anonymousreply 14509/08/2013

by Anonymousreply 14609/10/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!