Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Smoking Two Packs of Cigarettes a Week

How harmful is this?

by Anonymousreply 9908/01/2013

Less harmful than smoking 2 packs a day.

by Anonymousreply 101/28/2011

Cigarette are poisonous, and each cigarette contains 4000 different chemicals, a good number of which are toxic and/or carcinogenic.%0D %0D See the harmful effects at link below.%0D %0D Smoking can cause respiratory diseases including emphysema and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.%0D %0D Smoking can cause heart disease including arteriosclerosis, heart attacks, and strokes.%0D %0D Smoking can cause various types of cancer.

by Anonymousreply 201/28/2011

[quote]Smoking can cause%0D %0D Why does it not say "Smoking WILL cause..."?

by Anonymousreply 301/28/2011

I don't understand why people still smoke, and that includes celebrities. It was one thing 50 years ago when people didn't know the risks. But now people do know the risks, and several famous people (eg. Patrick Swayze, Yul Brynner etc.) have died from it. That should send a message.

by Anonymousreply 401/28/2011

What is that, 6 cigarettes a day? While it's obviously bad for you, it's certainly not like you have a constant stream of tar going into your lungs.

I'm down to two cigarettes a day: one after my morning coffee and one sometime in the evening.

I want to quit by my birthday in May (I'll be 27.)

by Anonymousreply 501/28/2011

Winstons are only tobacco. How much does this change the equation?

by Anonymousreply 601/28/2011

But is there a safer level? As in the adage "Moderation in all things."

by Anonymousreply 701/28/2011

My brother is a life-long smoker. He started at age 14 and is now 59.%0D %0D He has COPD from smoking - chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. It will get harder and harder for him to breathe. And then the next step is 24/7 hook up to an oxygen tank. And then pretty much smothering to death.%0D %0D My mother, a life-long smoker from age 19 to age 60, died from lung cancer at age 84 from smothering to death and organs filling up with fluid. At least she had a long life.%0D %0D My brother might not have a very long life span.

by Anonymousreply 801/28/2011

[quote]Winstons are only tobacco. How much does this change the equation?%0D %0D It's still tobacco. All-natural tobacco cigs like Winston and American Spirits aren't any better for you than the chemical-soaked cigs like Marlboro and Camel. Also, low-tar cigs like lights and ultra lights are not any safer than regular full-flavor or unfiltered cigs. It's all a racket by the tobacco companies to convince people certain brands are "safer" than others. It's not true at all.%0D %0D I'm also a smoker and would like to quit, but it's damn near impossible. I hate how smug people who have never smoked can get. They think you can just stop overnight, but most people can't. Tobacco is the most addictive drug in the world, worse than opiates or alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 901/28/2011

[quote]All-natural tobacco cigs like Winston and American Spirits aren't any better for you than the chemical-soaked cigs like Marlboro and Camel.%0D %0D Who thinks cigarettes are good for you at all? The question is are chemical soaked cigarettes worse for you than all natural smokes?

by Anonymousreply 1001/28/2011

What's so addictive about it, R9?

by Anonymousreply 1101/28/2011

Is it common to acquire a habit of not being able to jerk off without puffing on a cigarette?

by Anonymousreply 1201/28/2011

Smoiking any amount of cigarettes is stupid. I smoke for ten years then quit cold turkey with no problems. Smoking was not only stupid, but today would be ridiculously expensive. When I quit, I couild buy cigarettes for $2.25 a carton. Yes, I am an old--but wiser--geezer.

by Anonymousreply 1301/28/2011

[quote]Tobacco is the most addictive drug in the world, worse than opiates or alcohol.

I smoked for many years and then quit cold turkey. It was tough -- it hadn't been my first attempt either -- but honestly, it's been much harder for me to lose that extra 20 lbs.

Nobody needs tobacco, alcohol, or drugs. But you need food.

by Anonymousreply 1401/28/2011

2 packs a week is substantial.%0D %0D Look, there really is no safe level of cigarette smoking. Every cigarette impacts your health, you're drawing smoke and poisons into your lungs and bloodstream.

by Anonymousreply 1501/28/2011

There is no safe level.

by Anonymousreply 1601/28/2011

R13-R16 make good points

by Anonymousreply 1701/28/2011

Thanks everyone. I've taken your advice to heart.

by Anonymousreply 1801/29/2011

[quote] My mother, a life-long smoker from age 19 to age 60, died from lung cancer at age 84 from smothering to death and organs filling up with fluid. At least she had a long life.%0D %0D Um, that's longer than the average life expectancy of your typical American female.%0D %0D What people don't fucking get, is that your life is based on HEREDITY, and not things like smoking and drinking.%0D %0D There are smokers and drunks who live well into their 90's, and there are people who never touched either, who die of cancer or heart disease in their 50's.%0D %0D Your life span is determined by heredity. PERIOD.%0D %0D The PC know-it-alls would love for us to believe that they have the answer to life, and that they can predict when people will die, but the truth is that THEY DON'T.%0D %0D So don't listen to them.%0D %0D Do what makes you happy. This is a free country, and you have the right to live your life the way you want to.%0D %0D THE END.

by Anonymousreply 1901/29/2011

[quote] Your life span is determined by heredity. PERIOD.

Bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 2001/29/2011

"Now, I'm a fella with a heart of gold..%0D And the ways of a gentleman, I've been told...%0D The kind of fella who wouldn't even harm a flea.%0D %0D But if I and a certain character met, the guy who invented the cigarette, I'd murder that son of a gun in the first degree.%0D %0D Smoke, smoke, smoke that cigarette...smoke, smoke, smoke 'til you smoke yourself to death.%0D %0D Tell St. Peter at the golden gate that you hate to make him wait....but you just gotta have another cigarette."%0D %0D Thanks, Tex Williams.

by Anonymousreply 2101/29/2011

[quote] Bullshit.%0D %0D It's 100% true. External factors like smoking and alcohol might shorten your life by maybe months or even a few years, but in general, your lifespan is determined by your GENES.%0D %0D I have know crackheads and meth addicts who have lived well into their 60's. Alcoholics into their 80's and 90's. Same for smokers.%0D %0D Could you please explain, if smoking is the death sentence that you claim it is, why these people live so long, given their bad habits?%0D %0D GENES AND HEREDITY.%0D %0D I know it's not PC to say so, but it's the truth.%0D %0D If you have shit genes, and your family was prone to cancer and heart attacks in their 40's, then that's what you inherited.%0D %0D It sucks, but that's what it is.

by Anonymousreply 2201/29/2011

By the way, R20, the American Medical, Pharma, and "health" industry has sold the American people a faulty "bill of goods."%0D %0D They posture themselves as the know all, be all, end all authorities on health.%0D %0D Pop a pill, take a xanax, oxy, or some other opiate, and you'll be all better!%0D %0D Aspirin, acetomenophin, cures for restless leg syndrome, fibromyalgia, or whatever else ails you - you got it, we can fix it!%0D %0D Americans put way too much stock into their healthcare industry. It is an INDUSTRY for good reason. To make money for the pharmaceutical industry and corporate HMO's.%0D %0D They figure that by "protecting" you from tobacco, alcohol, and other "bad" things, they have earned your trust.%0D %0D Then they can kill you with their various drug cocktails and health insurance policies.%0D %0D Oh, but if you don't have health insurance, sorry but we can't help you! You're on your own!%0D %0D You people are sheep being led to the slaughter by your so-called "healthcare providers."%0D %0D Open your fucking eyes, and see what's going on. Maybe then you'll have a cigarette and a shot of whiskey, and tell the pharmaceutical industry to go fuck themselves.

by Anonymousreply 2301/29/2011

[quote] Could you please explain, if smoking is the death sentence that you claim it is,

I didn't make that claim. But my Mom died from lung cancer at 69, but she'd been terminal for a long while, and both her parents lived to a decent old age. It was 100% due to cigarettes.

Genetics matter, but lifestyle has a profound impact on longevity. Your behavior can actually switch genes on and off. Plus, you're already backing away from your claim.

Also, I don't know why you keep bringing up political correctness, that has nothing to do with this whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 2401/29/2011

I take back everything I said. You're just a fucking lunatic.

by Anonymousreply 2501/29/2011

I miss smoking.

by Anonymousreply 2601/29/2011

[quote] I miss smoking.%0D %0D Honey, this world is doomed anyway. We can't predict the future.%0D %0D As my old college professor used to say, "smoke 'em if you got 'em."

by Anonymousreply 2701/29/2011

I've never smoked - I always think it looks trashy and it is usually poor people I see smoking - poor or low class.

by Anonymousreply 2801/29/2011

[quote] I've never smoked - I always think it looks trashy and it is usually poor people I see smoking - poor or low class.%0D %0D Good attempt at Psych 101, R28.

by Anonymousreply 2901/29/2011

That's as good a reason as any, R28. You're shallow, but at least you're not addicted to tobacco.

by Anonymousreply 3001/29/2011

R19:%0D %0D Always good to hear from the Reynolds Corporation. %0D %0D %0D (I've spent years watching alchohol-related cirrhosis kill my mother, first by taking her dignity, then her intelligence, and now her body. If you have an addiction, battle it with all your power--unlike my mother, I've quit drinking. I might die younger--who knows--but I'll die still having the respect and love of my family.)

by Anonymousreply 3101/29/2011

According to Cancer Research UK, even smoking 1-4 cigarettes a day triples the chance of getting cancer or heart disease compared to a non-smoker, and although eating lots of vegetables reduces the risk, it doesn't cancel it out. Of course the 1-4 cigs is probably a self-report and these people may actually be smoking 4-6 cigs a day, so if you smoked 2 a day MAYBE your risk is only doubled or even less.

by Anonymousreply 3201/29/2011

R32's boring stats are raising my stress level. I think I need a cigarette.

by Anonymousreply 3301/29/2011

Anyone remember this?

by Anonymousreply 3401/29/2011

I see the crazy train made a stop on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 3501/29/2011

I'm an alcoholic who loves the invention of Xanax.

by Anonymousreply 3601/29/2011

I'm back with more boring stats. This is the actual study, which sounds as if the risks aren't too bad. Apparently if you are a middle-aged Norwegian smoking a few cigarettes a day, your risk of dying in the next 25 years is a bit higher (1.5 x) than if you never smoked.

by Anonymousreply 3701/29/2011

[quote] What people don't fucking get, is that your life is based on HEREDITY, and not things like smoking and drinking.%0D %0D Not entirely; but it mostly is. My dad died of lung cancer at 66. His 88 year old sister still smokes and is as spry as ever. Their mother died at 82, still a smoker. She refused to have heart surgery and said, "It's time to go." %0D %0D I used to think my paternal grandmother walked slowly and like a crab because that was just her. Turns out it was arthritis, and now I have it.%0D %0D My mother's family has gastrointestinal problems on both her mother and father's side and her family has big time PAD. My mother now has PAD, her brothers who never smoked have PAD. She and all of her sibs have had stomach ulcers and diverticulitis (4 of them needed temporary colostomies). I had ulcers in my 20s and now no longer have the problem thanks to pepcid and prilosec.%0D %0D My paternal grandmother had gallbladder problems. I don't, but my two female cousins had to have their gallbladders removed. Neither was fat or forty at the time.%0D %0D As I get older, I am horrified at the diseases I see popping up in myself and my family members. We ate better, we stopped smoking decades ago, we are active and exercise far more than our grandparents did and we are still coming down with the same diseases they had.

by Anonymousreply 3801/29/2011

I quit December 7- cold turkey. It's been hard though I have made a promise to myself to never light up again. I also made a commitment to not cross addict to gum, patch, etc. While it's been difficult, it has been a rewarding accomplishment.

My mantra: don't try, just do. You pack your own chute, lol.

Last night I had a cig dream: my friend handed me a cig from the back seat (I'm driving), I put it in my mouth, thought better of the idea and handed it back.

It can be done.

by Anonymousreply 3901/29/2011

[quote]Do what makes you happy. This is a free country, and you have the right to live your life the way you want to.%0D %0D Exactly, and don't let the shrieking harpies grind you down.

by Anonymousreply 4001/29/2011

Congratulations r39. How much had you smoked when you quit?

For the smokers, remember that every penny you spend is funding the most rightwing, hateful elements in the country. Knowing that helped me to quit.

The tobacco companies are evil. For the winston smoker claiming it's 'just tobacco', who told you that? The tobacco companies? They lied to congress. They've been busted for adding chemicals like ammonia that makes addiction quicker and more effective. The worst lies are American Spirits. They give away cartons of them (check Wired magazine for ads) in order to get you addicted.

by Anonymousreply 4101/29/2011

I can smoke a pack of cigarretes in about 4 hours.

by Anonymousreply 4201/29/2011

R41, between a pack, pack and a half. Thanks for your encouragement.

I picked up smoking heavily during a major crisis in my life 5-6 years ago. Before then I could always "socially smoke" and enjoyed it. I swear big tobacco are using additives that promote (more then before) addiction. I was (and still am to a degree) profoundly addicted to cigarettes/nicotine and what ever else they add.

by Anonymousreply 4401/29/2011

tobacco is nasty weed

And from the devil it proceeds

It stains your fingers and burns your clothes

And makes a chimney of your nose.

by Anonymousreply 4501/29/2011

My uncle, married to my aunt smoked 3/4 packs a day. Last year he had a vocal cord removed and stopped, he's apparently ok. He was the type that woke up at night to smoke. This went along for 50 years or more. He's 78.

by Anonymousreply 4601/29/2011

There really is no science to it. Some smokers get lung cancer in their 50's, and others live to old age. The problem is you don't know which one you're going to be.%0D %0D My great-grandmother smoked like a chimney - unfiltered cigarettes - and lived to be 91.%0D %0D It's a total crap shoot.

by Anonymousreply 4701/29/2011

There is the fact they stink and are exorbitantly expensive, r47.

by Anonymousreply 4801/29/2011

[quote] Little Known Fact: You're gonna fucking die. End. Period. All Over. One way or another.

Another little known fact: Lung cancer is a horrible way to go.

by Anonymousreply 4901/29/2011

[quote]Another little known fact: Lung cancer is a horrible way to go.%0D %0D Another little known fact: Harping about lung cancer and other tobacco related diseases hasn't lowered the smoking rate. Making it socially unacceptable and expensive has.

by Anonymousreply 5001/29/2011

So what R50? It's still a horrible way to die, that you can largely avoid by not smoking. Your comment really has nothing to do with my post that you quoted.

by Anonymousreply 5101/29/2011

Just quoting facts, R51. Don't like them? Tough.

by Anonymousreply 5201/29/2011

Part of what has made it socially unacceptable ARE the smoking-related diseases. So I don't know what special point r50 thinks he's making.

by Anonymousreply 5301/29/2011

[quote]Another little known fact: Lung cancer is a horrible way to go.

Tell me about it.

by Anonymousreply 5401/29/2011

Dude, the "facts" you posted in rebuttal have nothing to do with the post you're replying to. I made no comment at all about the social status of smokers, you're going off on a completely unrelated tangent.

R43: Everyone has to die.

Me: Yes, everyone has to die, but lung cancer is nasty and mostly avoidable.

You: Saying scary things about cigarettes didn't get people to quit.

Me: so?

You: Those are the facts!

Me: Again, so?

by Anonymousreply 5501/29/2011

[quote]Part of what has made it socially unacceptable ARE the smoking-related diseases.%0D %0D I think what makes it socially unacceptable is that it stinks and burns the eyes and nose. Few people are rejected socially because they have cancer in the way they are rejected when they stink or pollute the air around them.%0D %0D I think R49/51 just took exception to R50's post because of the thing about "harping." But it's true. Written and verbal warnings did almost nothing to reduce the numbers of people who took up smoking. It wasn't until bans on smoking in most buildings/restaurants/bars came into being that the percentage of the population who smoked really began to go down. Higher tobacco taxes reinforced that, and empowered by these smoking bans, non-smokers reinforced the marginalization of smokers by letting their opposition to being around that stench be heard. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 5601/29/2011

My friend who is addicted to cigars does not care about the harmful health effects.%0D %0D His only complaint and worry is the expense!%0D %0D I try to get him thinking about quitting, and the only thing that makes him consider quitting is the expense.%0D %0D The cardiovasculat disease, the respiratory diseases, the circulatory problems, and the possible cancers including tonque, throat, and esophogeal cancers do not worry nor phase him.%0D %0D The cigar smoking has greatly impacted his face - his face looks terrible.

by Anonymousreply 5701/29/2011

"How harmful is this?"%0D %0D Suck on a car's exhaust pipe twice a week and see how it compares. You could save yourself a lot of money.

by Anonymousreply 5801/29/2011

It's a crap shoot whether you will get lung cancer or not, but it is not a crap shoot that smoking effects your health negatively every time. I think it creeps up slowly for most smokers so they don't realise what feeling or being healthy is after awhile.

by Anonymousreply 5901/29/2011

The emphasis on lung cancer is just a small part of the story.%0D %0D Smoking negatively affects your cardiovascular system giving you narrowing of the arteies, circulatory problems, heart attacks, and strokes.%0D %0D Plus it ages you.%0D %0D Smoking also can cause respiratory disease including emphysema and COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) %0D %0D If you want to see the horror of dying from emphysema think Johnny Carson at the end of his life blown up to four times his normal size and unable to breathe. If you've seen people around who are on oxygen tanks 24/7, they have emphysema or COPD or lung cancer.%0D %0D Plus smoking does not cause just lung cancer - it causes pancreatic cancer, throat, tongue, and esophogeal cancers, along with other types of cancer.

by Anonymousreply 6001/29/2011

My favorite disease that one can get from smoking is Buerger's Disease. Warning: very graphic video.

by Anonymousreply 6101/29/2011

Smoke Voice

by Anonymousreply 6201/29/2011

[quote]If you want to see the horror of dying from emphysema think Johnny Carson at the end of his life blown up to four times his normal size%0D %0D Emphysema makes you giant?

by Anonymousreply 6301/29/2011

R37, not that harmful? "In both sexes, smoking 1-4 cigarettes per day was associated with a significantly higher risk of dying from ischaemic heart disease and from all causes, and from lung cancer in women. Smoking control policymakers and health educators should emphasise more strongly that light smokers also endanger their health."

There are types of lung cancer caused by smoking. It is true that it also comes done to genes. But if you don't smoke, you'll not get that type of lung cancer, there are other types.

And off course everyone has the right to live his own life, but when I meet a smoker with a smoking-related disease, my reaction is: told you so, it's your own fault.

Smoking is addicting because of nicotine.

by Anonymousreply 6401/29/2011

My mom died of lung cancer at 60 and never smoked a cigarette in her life. She didn't have any of the risk factors. I'll probably follow in her footsteps.

by Anonymousreply 6501/29/2011

R65 Not all types of lung cancer are caused by smoking, although most them are. Are there other family members who had it?

by Anonymousreply 6601/29/2011

Be careful about believing medical advice from DLers. Their hearts are often in the right place, but their understanding of biology, statistics, and medicine is terribly lacking. Unless you're talking about psychiatric meds.

by Anonymousreply 6701/29/2011

R67 Haha you're probably right. But as a medical student, I can say, smoking is really bad for you health, don't do it.

by Anonymousreply 6801/30/2011

Even Sherlock Holmes is on nicotine patches.

"Impossible to sustain a smoking habit in London these days."

by Anonymousreply 6901/30/2011

R19, heredity involves genes. If you have a genetic predisposition for something, avoiding risks connected to that will extend your life.

by Anonymousreply 7001/30/2011

I interned in respiratory unit in a hospital and I still haven't quit. Its hard.

by Anonymousreply 7101/30/2011

Interesting post, R41.

Thanks for the info.

by Anonymousreply 7201/31/2011

Great stuff, even the rude comments. Some say certain people are more prone to being alcoholic than others, so why would not the same rule apply to smoking cigarettes? Because it is not true. It is in the head. My grandfather lived to 92 and smoked cigars until his final days. Go figure. My dad smoked cigs but quit a number of years ago. I did not start smoking until age 42, and now still do, up to 2 packs a week, 1/2 cig at most per sitting. I realize it is nicotine, but truly do not buy into it in all cases. Some will say it is all just a habit, and that companies and doctors love to sell the addiction theory because it pulls in bucks. These things CAN be done..there is no such thing as "I Can't", unless one believes it.

by Anonymousreply 7303/21/2012

We can all think of people who lived a long time with bad habits. We tend to forget all the friends who had health problems from smoking, drinking, or other drugs and either died early or had compromised health from their drug use.

That's the way memory works if what you want to do with your life is to do what you ever you want and damn the consequences.

Everything comes down to genes? They play part, this is true. But you can turn that argument on its head.

Maybe the 90 year old person who smoked all his life got the lucky genes that offered some protection from smoking.

Most people aren't going to hit the genetic jackpot, and they are going to die earlier than they had to because they smoked, and they are going to have compromised their health along the way. They are going to feel worse along the way.

Those statistics are in. That argument was settled a long time ago.

R73:

I have no idea what you are trying to say, but the susceptibility to addiction does seem to vary from person to person. People who become addicted to one substance find developing cross-addiction and substitution of difference addictive chemicals an easy step to take.

Some people can be casual users and some can't.

by Anonymousreply 7403/21/2012

The person who said everyone is going to die is right.

I never get people who judge people so fiercely and loudly for smoking. Yes, they know it is bad for them and they would be much healthier if they quit.

But everyone should be free to live their life how they want, if they want to smoke, let them.

by Anonymousreply 7503/21/2012

r75, I think it's reasonable to question why anyone would deliberately chose to start such a destructive, anti-social, expensive, unnecessary habit.

The risks are well known.

Yes, everyone dies from something. And nobody is stopping them from doing it, but those who chose to smoke are choosing a particularly repulsive form of slow-acting suicide for the sake of a nicotine hit, so if I want to call them stupid assholes for doing so, don't stop me.

by Anonymousreply 7603/21/2012

R75:

None of us are free to arrange our lives just the way we want. Human beings are social animals, which means we live a life that mixes personal pleasure and group responsibility.

When we let people smoke we let them become addicted to a chemical. To satisfy that addiction, people turn over a significant part of their wages which become profits for people who invest in tobacco companies.

That addiction process in turn creates enormous health problems that someone has to pay for. Who has to pay for it? Not the investing class, that's for sure.

The major investors in tobacco companies are members of the same economic class that fights socialized medicine tooth and nail because their class also owns the private health-care industry.

If we are going to let corporations make billions for a small group of investors by selling products that kill people, we should be able to demand those investors stand aside while we build a health-care system that takes care of everyone and then send them the bill.

That's the overall picture.

As far as getting personal with invectives? That's not my style, maybe because I know first hand the overwhelming nature of addiction. But there are many people who have stopped smoking because people around them called them out on it repeatedly and not in very nice ways.

If somebody makes you so uncomfortable through rudeness that eventually it is not worth the effort and you quit, you are ahead of the game.

You will be a lot more uncomfortable, believe me, if you die of emphysema or cancer.

by Anonymousreply 7703/21/2012

You're all idiots. Smoking 1 cigarette a week vs 1 pack a week vs 1 carton a week. It doesn't matter. It's all luck. Science geeks prepare to whack off! I've known non smokers who've had lung cancer from second hand smoke and MANY old european men who've had cancer in their 70's after smoking for 40 years. Does it matter? Sure. Don't smoke. But if you do, don't bother with counting. It's all the same shit. And to the anti smoke fiends, you probably will die in a car accident tomorrow. So get off your high horse. Nobody hates non smokers more than queens who drink. Alcohol = #1 killer. Remember that.

by Anonymousreply 7803/21/2012

Smoking causes loss of anal sphincter control which leads to fisting with gay men who like to do the impossible.

by Anonymousreply 7903/21/2012

It's probably good for you, OP.

by Anonymousreply 8003/21/2012

[quote]If somebody makes you so uncomfortable through rudeness that eventually it is not worth the effort and you quit, you are ahead of the game.

So r78 is saying, I'm going to be rude and obnoxious and insult you repeatedly for your own good?

by Anonymousreply 8103/21/2012

Is OP still alive?

by Anonymousreply 8203/21/2012

I don't understand the non-smoking agenda. If smoking brings people pleasure then why should they stop. Yes- it may shorten their lives but it also may not shorten their lives. I've known many a smoker who lead very active and healthy lives (eating week, exercising regularly, etc.) and they are in their late 60s/early 70s. We only get one life....if smoking is enjoyable, why stop? We're all going to die. Even the sanctimonious non-smokers.

by Anonymousreply 8303/21/2012

I can explain the non-smoking agenda for you. Smoking costs society lots and lots of money. Why should the rest of us pay for your vice? If smokers were willing to sign over their rights to receive gov't-subsidized health care or participate in group plans, I'd be okay with it, assuming they kept it away from me.

by Anonymousreply 8403/21/2012

Nat Sherman cigarettes are expensive but rather natural and worth the cost because they burn longer.

by Anonymousreply 8503/21/2012

Rampant unprotected sex costs many more millions in disease, medication for disease, abortions, etc. Why should I have to support your whorey lifestyle?

by Anonymousreply 8603/21/2012

Um, r86, people are provided with the same information re protecting themselves from their whorey lifestyles as they are re protecting themselves from smoking related illness. Whether they change their ways due to that information is up to them. I don't get why some people jump up and down about "PC" anti-smoking bullies when all they are doing is sharing widely agreed information about the consequences of smoking.

by Anonymousreply 8703/21/2012

The reason the smokers get upset is because everyone knows someone or has heard the story of old Uncle Frank who smoked two packs a day till he was 94 as well as people who never smoked getting lung cancer. This happens. A lot of people on this board had mothers who smoked through her pregnancies and nothing major happened. Also, if you drink and drive I consider you a much bigger threat to me than I am to you, and I'm waiting for the dead bodies on the scotch bottles, and the little girls crushed in their car seats from "second-hand drunk driving" on cans of Bud Lite. I guess the booze lobby is stronger than the tobacco lobby.

So far, I'm one of the lucky ones. I've smoked for a long time and enjoy it. A half pack to a pack a day for over 30 years. I get stress tests and have 98% lung function and no heart problems. But I figure all this smoking will get me in my late 60s, early 70s.

Or not.

It's a crapshoot.

by Anonymousreply 8803/21/2012

AS long as you've enjoyed your life, r88 who give a shit what the anti-smoking nazis have to say. Their arguments are truly absurd.

by Anonymousreply 8903/21/2012

As long as you're enjoying your habit outside, away from public parks and doorways and sidewalks where non-addicted people are, it's your choice. You have no right to force others to share your habit, however.

by Anonymousreply 9003/21/2012

Public space is public space, r90. Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 9103/21/2012

How harmful? You're ingesting unnecessary chemicals. Do you really think that just because you're ingesting a little less of these chemicals that they won't have some effect on your body? People die every day from cancer caused by secondhand smoke alone. You're not mitigating the damage you're doing to your body by smoking less. You have to quit smoking altogether.

by Anonymousreply 9203/21/2012

It really is absurd how hysterical people get. I ride my bike to work. I don't want to inhale the exhaust fumes for those people who chose to drive, but guess what, I do.

Sorry you might catch a whiff from someone smoking on a sidewalk. Get over it.

It is fine wishing that people didn't smoke, I get it, but the laughable shrieking hysteria on evidence in this thread is so hilarious to me.

So what, some people smoke, if that is what they want to do then fine for them.

by Anonymousreply 9303/21/2012

I would have been on the opposite side of this debate a little over a year ago. I quit after 20 years, and am still occasionally around smokers.

I am surprised how little change there has been to my taste buds. I was told I would taste things again, so much differently. I am surprised that I still have that weird smoker's phleghm, after all this time.

I don't miss smoking, mostly. In certain social circles I do, but mainly---wow. The smell wafting off a smoker? Never really realized it. If you are dealing with the public in any circumstance that affects your pay? I suggest you don't smoke during business hours ever.

by Anonymousreply 9403/21/2012

If somkers continuly smoke, knowing the side effects, why is it that they still fo it? Cigarettes kill a lot of people, aong with alcohol, so why is it legal? As opposed to bud, where it has statistically killed nobody? What can I and others who think the same way do about this?

by Anonymousreply 9508/01/2013

I have three great aunts, my grandmother's sisters. My grandmother and all but one of her sisters smoked all their lives. All but the non smoker lived well into their late 80's. the non smoking sister died of lung cancer in her 70's.

Weird, but true.

by Anonymousreply 9608/01/2013

This thread is full of wishful thinking and remarkably devoid of actual data.

Cigarette smoking causes cancer, lung disease, and heart disease. It drastically reduces the lifespans of people who engage in it for any length of time and it dramatically worsens the quality of life for many people before they die. None of this is remotely arguable. There are reams of data spanning decades that have proven this over and over again, without fail.

Oh, and the warnings on packages drastically reduced the number of smokers and the amount of cigarettes sold. Just because you don't want it to be true doesn't mean it's not true.

by Anonymousreply 9708/01/2013

And it's hilarious that the smokers are all "Who cares? Don't listen to the PC anti-smoking crowd!" in a thread specifically written to ask people their thought on how harmful smoking is. You dirty little addicts can't even bear to hear a word of truth on the matter before you get all bent out of shape.

by Anonymousreply 9808/01/2013

My 84 year-old grandmother still smokes filterless Pall Malls.

by Anonymousreply 9908/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.