8. Nicole Kidman

7. Hillary Clinton

6. Michele Obama

5. J.K. Rowling

4. Madonna

3. Angelina Jolie

2. Queen Elizabeth II

1. Oprah

I realize the list is dominated by both Americans and entertainers, but as much as I would have wanted to be more highbrow and include Angela Merkel, Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner, or Herta Muller, I don't think that any of them can possibly compete with Hollywood glamor for global attention and recognition.

by Anonymousreply 17510/27/2013

GLORIA ESTEFAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 101/26/2011

Oprah is not that famous outside of America. That list is a very "American view of the world list".

by Anonymousreply 201/26/2011

I would have place Madonna before Angelina and Hillary Clinton before JK Rowling and Michelle Obama.

by Anonymousreply 301/26/2011

Ahem.%0D %0D See "COUNTRY STRONG" at a theatre near you! %0D %0D Namaste.

by Anonymousreply 401/26/2011

on a global level I think Britney Spears is still quite famous

by Anonymousreply 501/26/2011

OP is an American. Angela Merkel, the Chancellor of Germany, is currently the most powerful women in the world, she basically runs Europe.

by Anonymousreply 601/26/2011

Who the fuck is Angela Merkel? Please.

by Anonymousreply 701/26/2011

Jennifer Aniston doesn't belong on that list. Oprah, as huge as she is in North America, is not a big star in other countries. She should at least be toward the bottom 10.

Madonna should be top 3, probably ahead of Angelina Jolie.

I also agree that Hillary Clinton is more famous worldwide than Michelle Obama, so she moves up too.

I'm not sure if Nicole Kidman is top 10. Maybe.

by Anonymousreply 801/26/2011

1. QE2 2. Madonna 3. Hillary Clinton

by Anonymousreply 901/26/2011

Agree with r9 list. Oprah is not as campus around the world, much less jolie. Would include elizabeth taylor and meryl streep.

by Anonymousreply 1001/26/2011

I agree with R9, too (as someone outside USA).

by Anonymousreply 1101/26/2011

Replace Kidman with Julia Roberts and the list is apt.

by Anonymousreply 1201/26/2011

[quote]1. QE2 2. Madonna 3. Hillary Clinton%0D %0D Agree with this as well. And 4. JK Rowling

by Anonymousreply 1301/26/2011

Meh, fame- Talent, achievement, class. %0D %0D Barbra is the greatest star, and has been pretty much since 1968- singular historical success and excellence in all venues for decades (minus the Fockers, which she acknowledged as crap but help$ fund her charities.)%0D %0D Always, always for me, talent and achievement trump all. Streep may not be a bigger star than, oh Julia Roberts (bleech) but she sure as hell is a greater star. Steep and Streisand's fame will last long after they are gone... Julia Roberts and Angie, not so.%0D %0D Hilary will go down in the history books as a great woman- a trailblazer- she will lose her very false "bitch" rep so effectively applied in the early 90s by the Repubs until the lie repeated over and over was adopted as fact. It's not, and it will die. Not her achievements and her ground breaking career.%0D %0D I am not so sure Oprah will last in fame too far beyond her time. Mrs O will and has due to the extraordinary events of her life and her enigmatic life style. Oprah does not hold much back.

by Anonymousreply 1401/26/2011

Is this a joke? Hillary Clinton, Micheele Obama should be higher up. I also agree Angela merkel should have a prominent place on the list.

by Anonymousreply 1601/26/2011

1. Madonna; 2. Britney Spears; 3. Posh Spice; 4. Queen Elizabeth; 5. Hillary Clinton; 6. Michelle Obama; 7. Angelina Jolie; 8. Lady Gaga; 9. JK Rowling; 10. Nicole Kidman%0D %0D I agree witht the poster who said that Oprah is not really known outside of US/Canada

by Anonymousreply 1701/26/2011

I am not certain that even most Americans know who J K Rowling is...just most of the literate ones...

And I don't believe many over the age of 30 know Lady Caca.

by Anonymousreply 1801/26/2011

the kids all over the world know who JK Rowling is

by Anonymousreply 1901/26/2011

Jennifer fucking Aniston? You're kidding, right?

by Anonymousreply 2001/26/2011

If you want to include dead women, the top three most famous women in the world, dead or alive, would be:

3. Marilyn Monroe

2. Princess Diana

1. Mother Mary (she is literally or symbolically in more homes, hovels and huts than any other figure on the planet, even Jesus).

YOUR list would then start on number 4.

by Anonymousreply 2101/26/2011

Madonna is more famous world wide than Oprah.

by Anonymousreply 2201/26/2011

If Oprah isn't known outside America, how come they hung a giant O from the bridge in Sydney, has a regatta of sailboats with her name on the sails and spectacular fireworks, when she visited Australia.

by Anonymousreply 2301/26/2011

"Angela Merkel, the Chancellor of Germany, is currently the most powerful women in the world, she basically runs Europe."

That's irrelevant to this thread. This is not a thread of the most powerful women in the world - it's a thread of the most famous women in the world.

by Anonymousreply 2401/26/2011

Just going on demographics, shouldn't a Manadarin or Spanish speaking woman be on the list?

by Anonymousreply 2501/26/2011

Not unless she is famous all over the world, R25

by Anonymousreply 2601/26/2011

Queen Elizabeth is more famous than other female

by Anonymousreply 2701/26/2011

Oprah's show is broadcast in 145 countries around the globe

Abu Dhabi Ajman Algeria Angola Australia Bahrain Bangladesh Barbados Belgium Belize Benin Bermuda Bolivia Bonaire Botswana Brazil Brunei Darussalam Burkina Fassau Burundi Cambodia Cameroon Canada Republic of Cape Verde Central African Republic Chad China Colombia Comoros Congo Costa Rica Croatia Curacao Cyprus Democratic Rep. of the Congo Denmark Djibouti Dominican Republic Dubai Ecuador Egypt El Salvador Equatorial Guinea Eritrea Estonia Ethiopia Finland Fujairah Gabon Gambia Ghana Greece Guatemala Guinea Guinea Bissau Honduras Hong Kong Iceland India Indonesia Iraq Ireland Israel Ivory Coast Jamaica Jordan Kenya Kosovo Kuwait Laos Lebanon Lesotho Liberia Luxembourg Libya Macau Macedonia Madagascar Malawi Malaysia Maldives Mali Mauritania Mauritius Mayotte Mexico Montenegro Morocco Mozambique Namibia Nepal Netherlands New Caledonia New Zealand Nicaragua Niger Nigeria Norway Oman Pakistan Panama Papua New Guinea Peru Philippines Portugal Principe & Sao Tome Qatar Ras-Al-Khaimah Reunion Romania Rwanda St. Helena St. Lucia Saudi Arabia Senegal Serbia Seychelles Sharjah Sierra Leone Singapore Slovenia Somalia South Africa South Korea Sri Lanka Suriname Swaziland Sweden Taiwan Tanzania Thailand Togo Trinidad & Tobago Tunisia Turkey Uganda Umm Al-Qaiwain United Kingdom Venezuela Vietnam Virgin Islands, U.S. Western Sahara Yemen Zambia Zanzibar Zimbabwe

by Anonymousreply 2801/26/2011

Australia put an O on the bridge because Oprah promoters told them too. Oprah Winfrey is primarily an American star who showcases, primarily American celebrities, with the occasional Auzzie or Brit thrown in. There are 6.5 Billion people on the planet, Her market is about 350 million, which which around 30 million watch regularly, the other 320M just know who she is.

by Anonymousreply 2901/26/2011

I disagree with OP's order and I would completely take out Anniston and Kidman for Merkel and Nobel Peace Prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi.

by Anonymousreply 3001/26/2011

R29, I'm not a big Oprah fan, but let's be realistic - she is one of the most famous women in the world and is known all across the globe.

by Anonymousreply 3101/26/2011

R31 I wouldn't know who she was is it weren't for the internet.

by Anonymousreply 3201/26/2011

Try going into the streets of Moscow or Beijing and asking the local merchants who Oprah is. Try it in New Delhi or Korea. Sesame Street is broadcast in almost 200 countries as is Friends. Add in Youtube and "Heather Sticks a Banana Up Her Nose" is broadcast in almost 200 countries. That means nothing.

by Anonymousreply 3301/26/2011

1. Some Bollywood Actress no one on DataLounge has ever heard of

2. Some Chinese Actress no one on DataLounge has ever heard of

3. Some South American Soap Actress no one on DataLounge has ever heard of

by Anonymousreply 3401/26/2011

Exactly R33. Americans have no perspective over Oprah. Her show may be everywhere but it does not have the same repercussion as in America, she's another show presenter among others on cable and her money and influence in the USA does not translate. The list is ridiculous and parochial.

by Anonymousreply 3501/26/2011

Pamela Anderson or one of the other Baywatch girls would probably make the top 10. That show is on everywhere in the world.

by Anonymousreply 3601/26/2011

Define "famous." I wouldn't recognize J.K. Rowling if she was sitting next to me on the subway.

If it's just visual recognition then it isn't even a contest. QEII is on so many different stamps, coins, and bills in so many different countries (and has been for over half a century) that she blows the rest of the list right out of the water.

by Anonymousreply 3701/26/2011

Among heterosexual males world wide, Pamela Anderson is close to the top.

Look a the parody film "Borat"....well that is a very realistic portrayal of how guys look at women in most countries.

by Anonymousreply 3801/26/2011

The Queen is certainly up there, R37.

There's another thread that has the annual Gallup poll of the 10 most respected women in the world. The Queen is on it, as she has been many times over the past nearly 60 years.

Hillary ranks #1.

Oprah and Palin and Angelina Jolie are also on the list.

by Anonymousreply 3901/26/2011

What about Rula Lenska?

by Anonymousreply 4001/26/2011

Oprah is revered throughout Africa for her school purchases. She is known all over Europe and Russia for her many productions. %0D %0D I agree that we should be adding Merkel to this list, as well as someone from Bollywood and someone from Chinese television. That alone covers 1/3 the world population. I doubt any of them know or care about Jennifer Aniston or La Jolie.

by Anonymousreply 4101/26/2011

I think the most famous woman in the world, whose name is mentioned more than anybody else, would have to be%0D %0D MOTHER FUCKER%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4201/26/2011

Of course Oprah is famous outside of America! Saying she's not is being parochial. Just because you're not a fan doesn't mean she shouldn't be on the list - I haven't read or seen anything Harry Potter but I'm aware it's a rather popular.

It's a good list OP. You could probably swap out Anniston for Britney.

by Anonymousreply 4301/26/2011

She's famous outside of America, but is very far from being the most famous woman in the world, again, in most of Europe she's in cable shows and is known for that. I can only imagine the rest of the world, like Asia and South America.%0D %0D Personally, I have no opinion on her whatsoever (cannot watch her shows since there's a cut for publicity every other sentence).

by Anonymousreply 4401/26/2011

I love you R40

by Anonymousreply 4501/26/2011

Margaret Thatcher isn't dead yet. She still counts.

by Anonymousreply 4601/26/2011

Harry Potter is famous, but I doubt most people could recognize the face of J.K. Rowling in a crowd.

by Anonymousreply 4701/27/2011

Oprah may be broadcast in Mexico, but she's practically unknown there. I was living with a well-to-do family in southern Mexico, and my host mom was constantly glued to the tv (this was in 2001). She was watching Beloved on day when I mentioned, "Oh, that's Oprah." She had no idea who I was talking about.

I think a much more accurate way would be if people were shown pictures, would they be able to recognize who it was.

QEII obviously takes that, hands down. She's known as the "The Queen" colloquially and not necessarily "The Queen of England" for a reason. She's on the currency of almost all of the commonwealth nations, and is extremely well known in Europe and the US.

Madonna is very famous world-wide and has been for a decades. I used to have a pen-pal in China (late 90s) who spoke very broken English, but was absolutely obsessed with Madonna.

And then there's Hillary Clinton, who was famous to begin with, but whose profile has been infinitely raised by being Secretary of State. Her constant visits abroad put her on TV in every nation she travels to.

I would deny Angel Merkel because she is not an iconic figure and most people probably couldn't pick her out of a line-up. In the past, I would have suggested Julia Roberts because she looks distinctive, but her appeal has faded over the past decade.

I would also put Jennifer Aniston as a contender (in a top 10), given that Friends is/has been extremely popular virtually everywhere it has aired (and yes, that includes China) and she has continued with movies. And again, she is distinctive enough looking to be recognizable.

Barbra? Please. She is talented yes, but I'm sure that she's never been a radio staple in Peru or China. As for JK Rowling, I don't even know what she looks like.

As for Bollywood, it's extremely popular, but really only in India. While that is a big market, it's still just 1/6 of the world. Ditto for Chinese TV/movie stars.

If we're talking living or dead, then the Virgin Mary, followed by QEII.

by Anonymousreply 4801/27/2011

Bunch of fucking pea-brains.

by Anonymousreply 4901/27/2011

The Queen is obviously a contender because of her enormous longevity. She isn't a monarch that was just on the throne for 10 years and then disappeared.

She has been Queen for nearly 60 years.

by Anonymousreply 5001/27/2011

Your president wife and famous actress Barbara Bush very well known. Everyone know her from being Sally Field mother in "Sybil." Pictures of her also used to illustrate children books. She butcher Easter Bunny for meat to feed hogs in famous Russian children story about famine.

by Anonymousreply 5101/27/2011

One day soon, I'll be the female representation of England!

by Anonymousreply 5201/27/2011

I'm sorry but only seven of the women are correct. Oprah is most certainly one of them. If you've seen her in Australia or ASouth African, or France or WTFever, everyone knos her. Same with Angelina. Some of you are letting your antipathy for certain people cloud your judgement.%0D %0D I'd say Gaga, QE2, Madonna, Hilary, Michelle, Oprah and Angelina. I have no idea why you'd put Aniston on such a list. That's ridiculous. What this list really says is how myopic and narrow we are here in the USA. %0D %0D The only international celebrities we recognized were people like Mother Theresa or Princess Diana. I have no idea who is comparable today. %0D %0D Angela Merkel is not well know beyond the industrialized nations and certainly not well know beyond a certain strata of society. That's just nonsense. Ask some little Indonesian kid who Angela Merkel is! Bet he know Gaga or Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 5301/27/2011

It's not antipathy, R53, it's from experience. Oprah is simply not that big a deal outside of the US. You, in fact, are being myopic in including her. I might stick her in the top 10, but somewhere down the list. I would venture to say that Michelle Obama is more recognizable world-wide than Oprah right now.

I should know - I'm also from outside of the US, and so are the European posters here who have already stated the same.

As for Aniston - Friends is/has been extremely popular in wide swaths of the world. She is the most recognizable castmember because she has branched out into movies. I'd stick her in the top 10, but down.

Lady Gaga is debatable. She is very popular, yes, but among a very certain segment of the population (under 30s). She's certainly not a Madonna, who is recognizable across most ages. If she continues to have a career for another decade or two, then I wouldn't debate it.

by Anonymousreply 5401/27/2011

Susan Flannery.

by Anonymousreply 5501/27/2011

QE2 hands down.

Hers is the most universally recognised face of a living human being on Earth, period.

She's had 60 years of reigning to establish that.

The Commonwealth countries alone contain 2.1 billion people.

Compared to her, especially across the vast populations of India and Asia, Oprah and Madonna are anonymous blips.

by Anonymousreply 5601/27/2011

Who the hell is this Opera person you people are all talking about?

by Anonymousreply 5701/27/2011

You can see Oprah from space, so she's very popular across the universe.

by Anonymousreply 5801/27/2011

I think you're probably right, OP. Herta Who?

by Anonymousreply 5901/27/2011

Isabelle Allende has a more arguable claim than Herta Muller, who I just had to look up.

by Anonymousreply 6001/27/2011

Isabelle Adjani has prettier skin.

by Anonymousreply 6101/27/2011

Kylie Minogue--maybe not recognized as much in America but sure the hell everywhere else in the world.

by Anonymousreply 6201/27/2011

Elizabeth Taylor should be on the list.

by Anonymousreply 6301/27/2011

Sarah Taplin Boyd.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6401/27/2011

I'm French, live in France, almost nobody has a clue who Oprah is. That's true for most of Europe, except the UK. Sorry Oprah fans

by Anonymousreply 6501/27/2011

Americans also think that the hamburger is the most famous food in the world, because in America's head, they are the world.

Outside of the USA, Oprah is on par with Olympia Snow inside the USA, a lot, but not most, people know who she is.

by Anonymousreply 6601/27/2011

Any list that does not have Britney Spears is sill - arguably the most photographed woman since Princess Diana.

by Anonymousreply 6701/27/2011

Is hamburger more famous than Oprah?

by Anonymousreply 6801/27/2011

Even at the height of her fame, Princess Diana never surpassed Queen Elizabeth who was arguably the second or third most recognisable face on earth after Pope John II and, possibly, Michael Jackson.%0D %0D And the poster asking about dead women, I'd say Mother Theresa was/is more iconic than even Marilyn or Di.%0D %0D Singers tend to be recognisable even in remote regions. While American giants like Streisand, Aretha and Cher are not that famous outside the US, others from pop's peak era (80s and 90s) like Madonna, Britney Spears, Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston probably still have their music playing in some village in Moldova.

by Anonymousreply 6901/27/2011

And proving wrong those who claim all Asians look a like, Aung San Su Kyi (sp?) is one of the most recognisable women in the world today.

by Anonymousreply 7001/27/2011

Oprah who?

by Anonymousreply 7101/27/2011

I'm no Madonna fan, but she's certainly got to be No. 2 after the Queen.%0D %0D Think about it. She's been world-famous since the late '80s. Also, pop music translates across cultures far better than most mass media, save for maybe action films.%0D

by Anonymousreply 7201/27/2011

Yue-Sai Kan, the most famous woman in China.

by Anonymousreply 7301/27/2011

[quote]If you've seen her in Australia or ASouth African, or France or WTFever, everyone knos her.

I'm French and I can assure you that French people don't know who Oprah is, so stop talking nonsense. She even got kicked out of Hermes because she showed up after hours: nobody knew who the fuck she was.

Do you think non-english speaking countries broadcast her talk show with subtitles, or something? Why would they even do that?

by Anonymousreply 7401/27/2011

Americans tend to think that all of their celebrities are world-famous. Of course this is true for many of them, but there are some like Oprah and Barbra Streisand who are not all that famous globally.

by Anonymousreply 7501/27/2011

[quote]Do you think non-english speaking countries broadcast her talk show with subtitles, or something? Why would they even do that?

Ummm, yes? Not saying she's the most famous woman in the world, but she's not a complete unknown. Probably somewhere inbetween Janet Jackson and Britney Spears.

by Anonymousreply 7601/27/2011

"That's true for most of Europe, except the UK"%0D %0D If you casually run through the channels on UK tv, you are more likely to find episodes of Rikki Lake or Sally Jesse - and one of them, certainly, hasn't been made in about 10 years...%0D %0D Oprah just isn't that well known among the general public any more.

by Anonymousreply 7701/27/2011

Oprah is very well-known, and anyone trying to say otherwise is being ridiculous

by Anonymousreply 7801/27/2011

Add "Bebo" (Kareena Kapoor) to this list. Most famous living woman in India. %0D %0D India has 1/6 the world's population, so by law of averages, Bebo belongs here.%0D %0D I know you bitches don't know who she is...

by Anonymousreply 7901/27/2011

I think it's hilarious how many people try to include Babs into every fucking thread.%0D %0D Nobody in India or China knows who Babs is.

by Anonymousreply 8001/27/2011

hasn't she been famous for 40 years, R80?

by Anonymousreply 8101/27/2011

The Oprah fans in this thread are starting to scare me.

by Anonymousreply 8201/27/2011

R17's list is spot on if you minus Gaga and Jolie.

by Anonymousreply 8301/27/2011

Yes, R81, in AMERICA and some other countries.%0D %0D India and China have their own NON-AMERICAN entertainment industries. They care not for American/English stars. Madonna and QE2 would be the exception.

by Anonymousreply 8401/27/2011

Oprah has been well-known in the UK for the past 2 decades. I've seen British t.v. shows and comedies that mention her.

by Anonymousreply 8501/27/2011

I would add Shakira - famous all over the New World (Canada, the States, Latin America), Europe, the Middle East, and has significant recognition in Africa as well as Malaysia/the South Pacific.

by Anonymousreply 8601/27/2011

The Oprah fans are terrifying, I agree. %0D %0D Lady Gaga is one of the top ten internet searches in both China and India. She's sort of insanely famous.%0D %0D The Queen wins, of course. It's not even close. Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama are on the list, and I'd say Britney, too.%0D %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 8701/27/2011

Here's what I think%0D %0D 10. Maria Sharapova%0D %0D 9. Lady Gaga%0D %0D 8. Oprah%0D %0D 7. Michelle Obama%0D %0D 6. Julia Child%0D %0D 5. Meryl Streep%0D %0D 4. Angelina Jolie%0D %0D 3. Madonna%0D %0D 2. Hillary Clinton%0D %0D 1. Queen Elizabeth

by Anonymousreply 8801/27/2011

Here's a link proving that your beloved BABS has only been popular in the USA, the UK, and Australia, and that's IT.%0D %0D She has never toured outside of those three markets.

by Anonymousreply 8901/27/2011

The problem with Lady Gaga is she looks so different every time I see her....different hair, different hair color, heavy makeup that varies her look a lot, overwhelming costumes. I'll admit I'm old and not the sharpest knife in the drawer (I'm 60!) but I bet there are many others my age and older who couldn't pick her out in a crowd. She's not someone I seek out and she's not as omnipresent (like Sarah Palin, for example) as many of you seem to think.%0D %0D You'll all understand when you're older.%0D %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 9001/27/2011

I think it's hilarious that the Madonna queens still think she's number one or two.%0D %0D No one under thirty in the States knows who she is. She's pretty much turned into Kylie Minogue.%0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 9101/27/2011

Qui est Oprah?

by Anonymousreply 9201/27/2011

I think that back in the late 80's or 90's there was a quote from Madonna saying that Princess Di once confided she loved when Madonna did something controversial because it took the spotlight off her.

by Anonymousreply 9301/27/2011

I would add Elizabeth Taylor. Even younger people know the name, if not her movies.

by Anonymousreply 9401/27/2011

Forgot to add Kate Middleton.

by Anonymousreply 9501/27/2011

Shouldn't there be a Bollywood star in there?

by Anonymousreply 9601/27/2011

You're also forgetting demographics, that is, there are a lot of old people in the world that are not following the latest trends. Thus, Angelina Jolie, Posh Spice (!), JK Rowling (harry potter is famous, not her) and their ilk do not belong. %0D %0D Elizabeth Taylor is part of the list, as is Madonna The Queen and Hillary Clinton. I doubt that Michelle Obama could be properly identified (by face) by general people in most countries outside USA / Canada and Western Europe.

by Anonymousreply 9701/27/2011

Posh Spice is married to the most famous white soccer player in the world. Add the Spice Girls stuff on top of that and that equals pretty fucking famous.

by Anonymousreply 9801/27/2011

R96, see R79.

by Anonymousreply 9901/27/2011

And there are a lot of young people in the world who have no idea who Madonna or Elizabeth Taylor are. Taylor, in particular, has been absent from the public eye for a while.%0D %0D And Queen Elizabeth?! This is a joke, right? %0D %0D It's an evolving list. Tastes and times change. %0D %0D I'd say right now the top ten would include Michelle Obama, Hillary Clinton, Angelina Jolie (completely recognizable among the younger and older set) Oprah, Beyonce and maybe Lady Gaga. %0D %0D I'd even say the late Marilyn Monroe would be in the top ten. She's still influencing generations.

by Anonymousreply 10001/27/2011

What is up with these people saying people under 30 don't know who Madonna is?%0D %0D I'm 19 and everybody in high school and the people i go to college now knows who the hell madonna is!!! Are people serious?

by Anonymousreply 10101/27/2011

grammar check (i'm 101): should be " and the people i go to college with now know".

by Anonymousreply 10201/27/2011

Oprah in not well known outside of English speaking countries - aka the vast majority of the world.

In England, Canada (English Canada only, French Canadian's barely know who Oprah is) and Australia, she is not the top day time talk show host, she rates 3rd or 4th to local hosts, only in the USA and only during daytime is Oprah #1.

You can have language dub overs in movies, but most people prefer movies in their own language. Nobody ever dub overs TV talk shows. Oprah is only known in the English language markets.

by Anonymousreply 10301/27/2011

"French Canadian's barely know who Oprah is"

I doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 10401/27/2011

Queen Elizabeth has been around for a long time, and is still on money all over the world, but would most people be able to pick her face out of a crowd?

by Anonymousreply 10501/27/2011

The great honking crown on top her head might be a clue.

by Anonymousreply 10601/27/2011

Don't talk about faces on money. 3/4 of Americans couldn't identify Alexander Hamilton as the face on the 20 dollar bill.

by Anonymousreply 10701/27/2011

I recently saw a statue of Queen Elizabeth in Spain. Anyone who thinks a mention of her among the most famous is a "joke" needs to get out of Peoria.

by Anonymousreply 10801/27/2011

62% of Americans can't find Canada on an unlabeled map.

by Anonymousreply 10901/27/2011

I can't believe that anybody would dispute QEII as being the most famous/recognizable woman in the world. There is no dispute about that, none.

Regardless of if the under 30 crowd listens to Madonna's music or not (I do, and I literally just turned 30), they still know who she is.

As for Posh Spice, I couldn't even pick her out of a line-up. Beckham yes, but her? I really have no clue - and I was 17/18 when the Spice Girls were popular.

by Anonymousreply 11001/27/2011

[quote]You can have language dub overs in movies, but most people prefer movies in their own language. Nobody ever dub overs TV talk shows. Oprah is only known in the English language markets.

Come on. I don't even like her, but she's well known. Not everybody knows her, but then not everybody knows Angelina Jolie, either.

by Anonymousreply 11101/27/2011

[quote]Is this a joke? Hillary Clinton, Micheele Obama should be higher up. I also agree Angela merkel should have a prominent place on the list.

It's not a list of most powerful, or most esteemed women.

It's not a list of what women are making a true impact or women that people SHOULD know about.

by Anonymousreply 11201/27/2011

[quote] I doubt that Michelle Obama could be properly identified (by face) by general people in most countries outside USA / Canada and Western Europe.%0D %0D As someone who travels a lot, I can tell you you're very wrong about that.%0D %0D Another name to throw into the ring is Serena Williams. She's the most famous woman, by far, in sport and definitely very recognisable even more than her sister or Maria Sharapova.

by Anonymousreply 11301/28/2011

[quote]Don't talk about faces on money. 3/4 of Americans couldn't identify Alexander Hamilton as the face on the 20 dollar bill.

Possibly because he's on the $10 bill.

by Anonymousreply 11401/28/2011

"62% of Americans can't find Canada on an unlabeled map."

That's disturbing. That's practically the equivalent of not being able to find the U.S. on a map. Canada is attached to the United States - it's not that hard to find.

It's not as if they have to squint for some small country on the other side of the world.

by Anonymousreply 11501/28/2011

Well see, there you go!

by Anonymousreply 11601/28/2011

I know I can find Canada because Canada and Russia are always painted pink on maps. At least in Russia they live in real houses like us and not in igloos.

by Anonymousreply 11701/28/2011

"her face is the most reproduced image of any human being since Jesus Christ."

That's the London Telegraph on QE2's global ubiquity.

No2 would definitely be Thatcher.

No3 possibly Madonna.

Oprah definitely NOT 2 or 3.

by Anonymousreply 11801/29/2011

The list includes Angelina Jolie, Julia Roberts and Jennifer Aniston. FRIENDS is very popular worldwide.

by Anonymousreply 11901/30/2011

Beyonce and Madonna also are huge globally.

by Anonymousreply 12001/30/2011

I thought the question was who are the most famous women in the world, not who are the most famous women in America. In that case, Merkel should definitely be on the list. Not so sure about Jennifer Aniston and Nicole Kidman though. You could probably add a sportswoman such as Kim Clijsters - I presume she's better known in China right now than someone like Angelina Jolie or Lady Gaga are.

by Anonymousreply 12101/30/2011

[quote]"her face is the most reproduced image of any human being since Jesus Christ." %0D %0D I think Mother Theresa was jut a bit more iconic than QEII.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 12201/30/2011

While Mother Theresa can be considered iconic, her image count can't even begin to touch the millions of images of QEII. %0D %0D QEII has had her image on money and postage stamps since 1953, not just in England but other parts of the globe, too. Terri was barely known until the end of the 20th century.

by Anonymousreply 12301/30/2011

The mentions of Merkel, who I'm sorry I didn't even know who she a powerful woman but she is not famous. I don't even know what she looks like. To be famous, we need to recognize the person by face.%0D %0D Mother Teresa is dead so she doesn't count.%0D %0D I think everyone knows who Angelina Jolie is. She does charity work all over the world, and adopts a kid from every 3rd world country.

by Anonymousreply 12401/30/2011

R122, that quote you copied is referring to the Virgin Mary, the most famous woman in the world.

I have no idea what your reference to Mother Theresa and QE2 have to do with her.

by Anonymousreply 12501/30/2011

Merkel got a lot of face recognition when a drunk Dubya decided to give her a shoulder massage at a conference of world leaders in Europe.

by Anonymousreply 12601/30/2011

Beyonc%C3%A9 and Rihanna are way more famous worldwide thn Hillary Clinton, Michelle Obama and Jennifer Aniston.

by Anonymousreply 12706/09/2011

Having frequently traveled across the globe, I would definitely put Merkel on the list and remove Aniston.

by Anonymousreply 12806/09/2011

Who pays attention to Madonna anymore? Yes, she's still very famous, but I don't know if she would be in the Top 10 anymore.

by Anonymousreply 12906/09/2011

Definitely it's Kirler, he's the most famous.

by Anonymousreply 13006/09/2011

Isn't Madonna the most photographed woman in teh world since Di died? I tend to think she's move popular than the Queen of England and Oprah... I mean, seriously, they knew who she was in tribes in Malawi when she went to buy a baby.

by Anonymousreply 13106/10/2011

I tried Cialis and my condo disappeared and I was in a tranquil foresty setting. Then my boyfriend disappeared and I was with a very attractive middle aged black woman who was stroking my face and looking at me wantonly.

Everything after that is a blur but I do believe I managed to attain an erection, though I'm not certain.

by Anonymousreply 13210/29/2011

I live in France and used to live in Africa. No one in either place knows who Oprah is. And Lady Gaga and all these other trash American celebrities aren't as famous and instantly recognizable as Americans like to think.

2. Margaret Thatcher

3. Madonna

4. Hillary Clinton

And after that, as much as I'd love to believe that Angela Merkel or Catherine Deneuve or Sonia Gandhi or Herta Müller or Isabelle Allende or Marie N'Diaye enjoyed world-wide fame, there's pretty much no one on the list, owing to almost world-wide parochialism and ignorance.

by Anonymousreply 13310/29/2011

by Anonymousreply 13410/29/2011

Me too, I agree with [R9]

by Anonymousreply 13510/29/2011

[quote] live in France and used to live in Africa. No one in either place knows who Oprah is.

You probably lived in french-speaking Africa. In the English speaking countries, Oprah is huge and on tv everyday. Madonna is NOT as famous as Beyonce or Rihanna.

1. Oprah

3. Margaret Thatcher

4. Michelle Obama

5. Hillary Clinton

Also singers tend to be more famous worldwide than actresses, you'd be suprised how well-known the likes of Madonna, Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston, Diana Ross, Britney Spears, Beyonce, Rihanna and Tina Turner are just because of the familiarity of their music.

by Anonymousreply 13610/29/2011

We've traveled throughout the world.

One thing that was peculiar: Madonna is played every where all the time, except in the US.

She is the most well known woman in the world.

by Anonymousreply 13710/29/2011

I'm British, and Oprah is definitely known, but not a major star here. Her show was popular here during the 80s and 90s (it aired on Channel 4, one of the main channels), when American chat shows were a big fad, but she wasn't regarded as the queen of chat shows or anything. I started high school in the 90s and everyone was obsessed with Ricki Lake, and Oprah was what our mums watched. But then that fad kind of came to an end and her show stopped being aired here.

Oprah does currently air in the UK, but on a very very obscure cable channel called 'Diva' which most people have never heard of.

I think most Brits would definitely recognise Oprah's name and know that she's an American chat show host who is powerful in the US, but no more than that. She herself is not big in the US. The rest of Europe she's less well known in.

by Anonymousreply 13810/30/2011

You know, I've noticed quite a lot of threads over the past few months concerning Brits being fans of/obsessed with various different American celebs and TV shows (Oprah, Friends, The A Team, The Muppets, and there was one more I'm forgetting) -- all of which are complete nonsense, of course. But each time the OP's main argument is, "But I saw a British TV show reference them."

It's utterly bizarre. Why would a British TV show referencing an American TV show/celebrity mean that show/celeb is huge in Britain? TV shows referencing other shows is incredibly common. I mean, I watched an episode of Family Guy the other night that referenced the Muppets (and about a dozen other shows) is that proof Americans are obsessed with the Muppets? It's also very common for shows to reference intentionally more obscure (sometimes very obscure) parts of pop culture). Not that Friends or Oprah are obscure of course, but it's pretty stupid to claim the odd reference as proof.

I can't tell if it's a troll or someone with a weird form of OCD. I imagine them downloading British chat shows and watching them with a notebook frantically scribbling down any mention of anything American.

by Anonymousreply 13910/30/2011

1. Aishwarya Rai

2. Angela Merkel

3. JK Rowling

4. Madonna

5. Hilary Clinton

6. Gong Li

After that, it's all regional celebrities with some name and face recognition in random, scattered locals. But those 6 are in fact the most famous women in the world.

by Anonymousreply 14010/30/2011

I'm outside America too.I don't believe people in Asia, Africa, Europa, Latin-America know Oprah.But they know The Queen

by Anonymousreply 14110/30/2011

The Madonna trolls are insane.

Give it up. And stop recycling the most photographed woman in the world routine. That was done in 98-99. Two decades have passed.

by Anonymousreply 14210/30/2011

I think Tina Turner is almost universally known around the world. I would definately say she should be in the top 10. Being around so long and touring so extensively, plus having that movie made about her, and being an icon for battered women all adds up to being really famous. Perhaps not relevant in today's music industry, but really, really famous.

by Anonymousreply 14310/30/2011

As a non-American:

1. Queen Elizabeth II

2. Madonna

3. Hilary Clinton

Oprah is known outside America but no where near as famous as she is at home.

Whoever said that Rihanna and Beyonce "are more famous than Madonna" needs their head examining. I would even go as far to say that Madonna is now the most famous pop star in the world period. In a whole different category to Rihanna and Beyonce in terms of international fame. Britney Spears and Lady GaGa are well recognized as was Whitney Houston.

Merkal is an exceptionally powerful woman but not necessarily famous, espeically outside of Europe. Nearly everyone in the world knows who Hilary Clinton is and if they don't their lives are still shaped by her.

by Anonymousreply 14404/14/2012

Gaga is a joke, get her off the list

by Anonymousreply 14507/16/2012

Mary Pickford and the Gish Sisters....even to this day!

by Anonymousreply 14607/16/2012

"Barbra is the greatest star, and has been pretty much since 1968"

More since 1964 or 65. She wouldn't be on any of these lists today, no way.

by Anonymousreply 14707/16/2012

Daphne Zuniga.

(thread closed.)

by Anonymousreply 14807/16/2012

Su Pollard.

by Anonymousreply 14907/16/2012

Where the bloody hell is Kylie?

by Anonymousreply 15007/16/2012

We love only hazrat fatima a.s the daughter of hazrat peace be upon him

by Anonymousreply 15108/10/2012

how about britney spears?

by Anonymousreply 15210/10/2012

madonna nr.. 1 she was and still 25 years,everyone know her,num...2 maybe the queen

by Anonymousreply 15311/10/2012

Kylie is not know well at all here in the states, although I love her.

by Anonymousreply 15411/10/2012

Where's the Janet fans for this?

Thought so.

by Anonymousreply 15511/10/2012

What about the Williams sisters?

by Anonymousreply 15611/10/2012

This list is made up by People magazine or a celebrity gossip site hound. Take a gander from a serious political level. These people listed don't really matter and won't be discussed one hundred years from now. Priorities from a college educated individual is not at play here.

by Anonymousreply 15711/10/2012

11. Jeremy Renner

by Anonymousreply 15811/10/2012

The word is glamour it has a U in it and americans are very insular you just have to watch their news to realise this

by Anonymousreply 15901/07/2013

Kate Middleton, for sure!

by Anonymousreply 16001/07/2013

by Anonymousreply 16101/07/2013

Should we say infamous?

by Anonymousreply 16201/07/2013

Oprah is absolutely not the most famous woman in the world and not even in top 5. As a person who's not living in US, I should say that Tv stars such as Oprah,Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox etc. are only known by a little percentage outside the US. But everyone knows about film stars and musicians such as Angelina Jolie, Julia Roberts, Madonna, Lady Gaga and even Katy Perry is more recognised than Oprah.

by Anonymousreply 16310/27/2013

Jennifer Anniston is #1 in the UK. That's the only country outside the US that she's big in.

Madonna's no longer big in the world. There are tons of people who have no clue who she is, especially younger generations.

by Anonymousreply 16410/27/2013

Did someone show the international list because that list was very American.

I would actually say the Queen of England or Princess Diana...can we include the dead?

by Anonymousreply 16510/27/2013

Queen Elizabeth II, Madonna, Hilary Clinton, Angelina Jolie, Lady Gaga, Serena Williams, Britney Spears, Beyoncé, Michelle Obama, & the last one is debatable.

by Anonymousreply 16610/27/2013

I think you'd have to include Merkel, r166, certainly above Serena Williams, Gaga or Britney. "The World" also includes places such as China, India, Arab countries, Africa, where American women don't really matter that much but they've certainly heard of the most powerful leader in Europe. "The World" also includes Europe, where she's rather more prominent than someone like Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 16710/27/2013

Hillary is first. Merkyl, Queen Elizabeth, and Oprah are he next three.

by Anonymousreply 16810/27/2013

The people arguing for Merkel are silly. We are not talking about power. We are not even talking about popularity. We are talking about fame.

You hold up a picture. You say "who is this". You get the correct answer. What's fame.

Half the world is illiterate. A quarter or the planet had no household access to electricity. You think they know how Angela Merkel is? JK Rolling? Jennifer Aniston? LOL

Shit farmers in Africa wear Madonna t-shirts.

by Anonymousreply 16910/27/2013

Look for Miley to enter this chart soon. The VMA performance is probably the most talked about since Madge as Marie Antoinette.

by Anonymousreply 17010/27/2013

R169, I'm talking about fame too. Merkel's actually pretty fucking famous around the world - which is bigger than the USA.

In China, for example, they actually give a shit about what's going on in Germany and how Germany is the way to access Europe. They don't care about Lady Gaga. And, I can assure you Merkel's dressing down of Obama over the bugging of her phone is making headlines around the globe. The illiterates of the world still have an opinion on politics.

I know shit farmers in Africa wear Madonna t-shirts, which is why I think she fits into this category and Miley Cyrus doesn't.

I agree r166's suggestions are risible.

by Anonymousreply 17110/27/2013

Nobody gives a flying fig about Oprah in Europe. Most European wish she would stay in American and not insult everybody with how trashy she looks. Nicole Kidman and Jennifer Aniston in the top ten, this is ridiculous. Merkel is a conservative politician, but not nearly as conservative as George W, Mitt R or other religious bigots in the US. They should put her in the top 10 just alone for the reason she got the economy back on track.

by Anonymousreply 17210/27/2013

They definitely know who Lady Gaga is in China. Her look is the type of thing that goes worldwide.

The list is probably something like this (and no, I do not approve of these names, I am just giving what OP wants)

1. Queen Elizabeth; 2. Posh Beckham; 3. Madonna; 4. J R Rowling; 5. Hilary Clinton; 6. Lady Gaga; 7. Nicole Kidman; 8. Beyonce; 9. Katy Perry; 10. Britney Spears (yes, they still know her - and more than Oprah!)

by Anonymousreply 17310/27/2013

Still Princess Diana

by Anonymousreply 17410/27/2013

Marge Simpson

by Anonymousreply 17510/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!