Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gabrielle Giffords'' Recovery

All we keep hearing is how miraculous Gabrielle Giffords' recovery is...

But all we see is a hand or arm in a photo.

The media is not preparing the public for how messed up her face is going to be.

Not a hater, just stating the facts.

by Anonymousreply 13501/08/2013

According to CNN scroll this am, she watched one hour of TV (Gossip Girl) on Monday night.

by Anonymousreply 101/26/2011

Oh dear R1, that's a sign of serious brain damage. The poor thing!

by Anonymousreply 201/26/2011

I remember back in the early 80s when Joan Didion warned us that editors decided the story in advance and send out reporters to gather only the information that bolsters their thesis. In Giffords' case, the story was decided to be one of a fighter inspiring hope. So we hear about her courage and motions, with the truth mentioned only in asides.

When she played with her husband's tie, we were not told the level of control she had in her hand and arm. When she tried to mouth words, nothing on whether or not she was drooling. The day she gave her husband a neck rub, Diane Sawyer nearly burst blood vessels in joy, but then mentioned Giffords had also just gone through surgery to repair her eye sockets. Think about it -- if you or I went through eye socket surgery, that would be a serious operation, and we don't have a bullet wound in our heads.

Expect balloons and stuffed animals, not only from sympathetic people, but from the press. This is going to be a long recovery, and the media is going to manipulate every ounce of prefabricated drama from it.

by Anonymousreply 301/26/2011

A nation was wounded that day in Tucson, and a nation needs to heal. But first...

by Anonymousreply 501/26/2011

Her hospital gown is dreary and her hair, well, let's just say she looks like Demi Moore - from GI Jane. Back to you, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 601/26/2011

When I was a teenager, a friend of mine had a serious car accident that damaged his face so badly that people openly stared at him in the street. He was on the operating table for 24 hours while they picked pieces of bone out of his brain. One eye was about 1 1/2" lower than the other, and he was blind in that eye anyway. His jaw had been shattered, his tongue damaged. His forehead was concave on one side. His brain, however, was intact.%0D %0D %0D The sad thing was, because the damage was so close to his brain, they couldn't do much plastic surgery, and what they did made him look worse.%0D %0D %0D He became a serious drug addict, and I haven't heard from him since 1982. I don't know where he is, or even if he's alive.%0D %0D %0D His accident was in in 1974. Let's hope plastic surgery is better now.

by Anonymousreply 701/26/2011

The media make it seem like she'll be on Dancing With the Stars in a week or two.

And, of course, the NRA loves it. Get shot in the head? No biggie. Guns don't kill people, lone crazed losers do. And if they do, you, too, can have a Gabby Miracle!

by Anonymousreply 801/26/2011

I've known some survivors of traumatic brain injuries, and in most cases, they were devastating. I knew one guy who'd been an aviation engineer and training to be a pilot. He car went into a tree, killed his fiancee, and left him with so many cognitive and behavioral issues that he wound up in a state psych hospital because his family couldn't afford to pay for anything better. After seeing some of the fucked-up shit he did, I'm personally convinced that his dead fiancee got the better end of that bargain.

Every time I read or hear about Gabby's recovery, all I can think is that there must be some really frantic discussions going on right now behind the scenes on what to do about her seat. Because even if she is able to make an incredible recovery where she'd be able to serve as congresswoman again, the likelihood is that it's going to take months, more likely years, to get to that point.

by Anonymousreply 901/26/2011

R4, I don't suppose it could have anything to do with privacy issues? Dimwit.

by Anonymousreply 1001/26/2011

Don't believe much of the P R about Giffords condition. She has a long road to travel.

by Anonymousreply 1101/26/2011

"Not a hater"%0D %0D Sure you are.

by Anonymousreply 1201/26/2011

[quote] still miss you, Bash.%0D %0D Is the nickname pre or post accident R7?

by Anonymousreply 1301/26/2011

Our local TV station began to air a news conference by the MDs at the rehab center, and it was all, "Gabby the Hero!" but when one reporter followed up the question about the Congresswoman getting a speaking tube inserted in her tracheotomy and asked if she would be able to articulate words and sentences, the station cut away and the anchors re-summarized all the positive points.

by Anonymousreply 1401/26/2011

They still talk about Jim Brady's miraculous comeback from getting shot in the head-yet his speech, facial appearance, and cognitive thinking all sufferered as a result. He was never able to return to productive work. I agree with the tone of this thread-she's going to have a rough time returning to office.

by Anonymousreply 1501/26/2011

Her face may be too hideous to show now but there's still a chance that she could recover to the point of looking fairly normal once she's healed. I doubt, however, that she will ever be mentally fit to hold office again. Her future will be as a poster child for gun control.

by Anonymousreply 1601/26/2011

There's a reason they're not showing her face. She had reconstructive surgery on a shattered eye socket. Plus, I believe, she's still missing a significant part of her skull. I doubt she's wearing makeup and sportin a wig for camera ops. The camera ops are for the public, and the most they can do is show the husband holding her hand.

To show her as she is would be shocking, and a blow to the NRA. This is what it looks like when you get shot in the head. No media outlet is going to take this on.

by Anonymousreply 1701/26/2011

Why is she still on a breathing tube ?%0D %0D IIRC the bullet did not enter/exit near the area that controls breathing. It went through the area that controls speech.

by Anonymousreply 1801/26/2011

People need to see her face.

People need to see what a bullet can do.

Maybe then this bizarre romance with guns can finally end.

by Anonymousreply 1901/26/2011

In the end the right wing got what they wanted, they won't publicly admit it, but they think it and they are happy.

by Anonymousreply 2101/26/2011

Maybe she wasn't even shot.

by Anonymousreply 2201/26/2011

R19, that's what we said when TV started showing body bags coming back from Viet Nam: this is so dreadful, all these young men slaughtered, surely now that the public is seeing the truth in such graphic terms the madness of war will finally end.

Well, at least we got rid of the draft (so far).

by Anonymousreply 2301/26/2011

[quote]Why is she still on a breathing tube ?IIRC the bullet did not enter/exit near the area that controls breathing. It went through the area that controls speech.%0D %0D She could have sustained some brain damage due to increased intracranial pressure, which can result from swelling of the brain within the skull(an enclosed space). She might also have facial bruising.%0D %0D They're not telling the public everything. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 2401/26/2011

No kidding, R21. I just read that the president of the AZ Senate ruled senators can bring guns into the senate building.

by Anonymousreply 2501/26/2011

Thanks for starting this thread, OP.%0D %0D I was going to post one about why aren't they showing her face, but I think we all know it must be some kinda horror show.%0D %0D Wonder if she'll be on the cover of People one day?%0D %0D And I agree with others who say that the Republicans will end up with her seat, after all.

by Anonymousreply 2601/26/2011

"I don't suppose it could have anything to do with privacy issues? Dimwit."

Uh, no, that's not the reason. By federal HIPPA law, the only public information that can be given about a patient is a proscribed one word describing the patient's condition, and their location (I'm a hospital news officer).

UNLESS they sign a release form to let the doctors give more details publicly. Obviously, the Giffords did that and pretty much gave the doctors carte blanche.

I suspect the other victims decided against signing release forms, which is partly why we've heard virtually nothing about them EXCEPT condition and location.

I'm guessing she has large bandages, a surgical helmet, a badly swollen face and the tubes sticking out of her nose.

by Anonymousreply 2701/26/2011

It's possible she loses consciousness sometimes and doesn't breathe as well as she does when awake and alert. People with brain injuries often do. They sleep a lot.%0D %0D Carbon dioxide contributes to brain swelling. You retain carbon dioxide when you are not breathing well. And who knows if she is having seizures? When our patients seized, we immediately took them off the ventilator and began bagging them in order to oxygenate them and disperse any retained carbon dioxide. So keeping someone trached and on a ventilator gives you control over things which can go bad quickly.%0D %0D She may be unable to adequately clear her airway, even if she is breathing on her own, and needs to be suctioned to prevent aspiration.%0D %0D Also, when you have been on a breathing tube for a few days, it can damage your throat muscles, your larynx, etc. After 72 hours, you have to perform a tracheostomy and get the breathing tube out of the throat. Speech pathologists are called in to see how well the patient can control their throat muscles. They will be given something called "swallow testing."

by Anonymousreply 2801/26/2011

I loathe the NRA, and would love to see them held accountable by showing exactly what destruction a bullet causes. But it's not her husband's job to be a role model for legislative change right now. it's his wife, he's protecting her, I respect it. I'd do the same. No way I would release photos of my partner in this condition. He's having to share enough of his coping process as it is.

by Anonymousreply 2901/26/2011

[quote]The media is not preparing the public for how messed up her face is going to be.%0D %0D She wasn't shot in the face was she? Why would her face be messed up?

by Anonymousreply 3001/26/2011

Head injury, wikipedia style

by Anonymousreply 3101/26/2011

The bullet either entered or exited above her left eye, R30.

by Anonymousreply 3201/26/2011

Will she need a face transplant?

by Anonymousreply 3301/26/2011

[quote]By federal HIPPA law, the only public information that can be given about a patient is a proscribed one word describing the patient's condition, and their location (I'm a hospital news officer).

Then now is the time for you to learn that it is HIPAA with 2 As, not 2 Ps, Mr. Hospital News Officer. It stands for Health Information Portability and Accountability Act. But surely you knew that already, Mr. Expert In This Particular Subject.

by Anonymousreply 3401/26/2011

"Well, at least we got rid of the draft (so far)."

That's a good thing? That makes it easier to forget about war for profit, because you can entice poor people to jump into the meat grinder by offering them a chance at education. At least when there's a draft it makes the whole country look at WTF is going on.

I wonder why the media is so reluctant to report on Giffords' actual injuries. We're all going to know sooner or later.

by Anonymousreply 3501/26/2011

Half of her skull is missing. It's being kept in a lab somewhere until the skull can be reattached.%0D %0D The skull was removed because of brain swelling.

by Anonymousreply 3601/26/2011

Giffords has become more symbolic than anything else at this time. To present her in any reality based light (ie significant disabilities and/or disfigurement) goes against the American way. Heck she is probably safe from the tabloids for a while. She'll probably rehab quietly for a year before begining her "Oprah" tour filled with standing ovations and allocades. In the end the biggest favor she may have done is to have become the symbolic factor that destroys Palin. Too bad because I would have loved to see those two debate on a level playing field....Giffords would have wiped the floor with Palin

by Anonymousreply 3701/26/2011

DL at it's sickest.

Considering WHAT happened can we check in on her on her in six months? Would that be sensible?

by Anonymousreply 3801/26/2011

I never even thought about how she looks, but that is a really good point. Poor woman.

by Anonymousreply 3901/26/2011

[quote]She'll probably rehab quietly for a year before begining her "Oprah" tour filled with standing ovations and allocades.%0D %0D She'll become the first female US President. You heard it here first.

by Anonymousreply 4001/26/2011

>>>To show her as she is would be shocking, and a blow to the NRA. This is what it looks like when you get shot in the head. No media outlet is going to take this on.%0D %0D %0D %0D No media outlet is going to take this on - Yet! They'll all be scrambling for her first interview

by Anonymousreply 4101/26/2011

She's fine! She sends her love!

by Anonymousreply 4201/26/2011

This is the only picture I've seen.

by Anonymousreply 4301/26/2011

>>>Well, at least we got rid of the draft (so far).%0D %0D %0D %0D If we had the draft, we would NOT have had these two wars. This isn't 1960 - 1970 where people did what the government told them and took it laying down. Charlie Rangel wanted the draft reinstated for these wars because he knew we wouldn't have had them if it was reinstated. The soccer moms would be up in arms if their kids had to go to war. Most people only give a shit when something effects them. Until then, their against it

by Anonymousreply 4401/26/2011

[quote]People need to see her face.%0D %0D Fuck off, ghoulish loser @ R19.

by Anonymousreply 4501/26/2011

"Until then, their against it."

by Anonymousreply 4601/26/2011

it's gonna be gruesome.

by Anonymousreply 4701/26/2011

So what's on her iPod?

by Anonymousreply 4801/27/2011

Is it wrong that I say "who the fuck is that", every time an update comes on about her?

by Anonymousreply 4901/27/2011

[quote]So what's on her iPod?

Get Down On It- Kool & The Gang

Son of a Gun- Nirvana

Son of a Gun- Janet Jackson

by Anonymousreply 5001/27/2011

R3, "scary wrong?" You want to know why they won't show her face? Because it's three times its normal size, it's so swollen and misshapen, not from the bullet but from the surgeries to repair her eye socket, to repair her brain, to remove parts of her skull so that the brain can have room to swell without killing her. Trust me, she is black and blue and the woman no doubt looks terrible. Her family is probably frightened by the way she looks and heartened when they get these signs that she is, indeed, in there.

I don't doubt that is responding, trying to communicate, aware on some level of what's going on around her. It doesn't matter that her hand might be shaky when she reaches out or attempts to touch someone. What matters is that she is able to make that movement, is exhibiting signs that she recognizes people, is trying to communicate and understands what she is doing.

Do not discount the resilience of the human body and the almost magical abilities the brain has to overcome trauma. I'm not saying she's unscathed but there's plenty of proof that people can live and thrive with the sort of brain injury that seems like it should be life-ending, not just life-altering.

Consider the most famous brain injury case that is taught in every psychology, neurology and biology class in this country. A railroad foreman, Phineas Gage, was blasting rock in the 1800s when an unexpected explosion sent a 6 foot long tamping rod through his face and out of the top of his head. It was covered in blood and brain matter and witnesses could clearly see Gage's brain through the head wound. Yet Gage was conscious, talking and walking moments after the accident, even recounting what happened to him.

Psychologists use Gage as an example of how the personality can be affected by brain damage. He was known as an affable man before the injury and afterwards, as a surly, temperamental fellow. But his survival was considered remarkable at the time and if it were to happen today, it would still be seen as amazing. Researchers now believe he survived and lived a somewhat intact life because his injury was isolated to one hemisphere of his brain.

The fact that Giffords' injury is isolated to one hemisphere of her brain allows plenty of room for optimism for her recovery. She will be affected by it but she could very well recover all of her faculties and live a long, productive life.

Right now, she doesn't present the most appealing visual sight. She's allowed some privacy while she recovers. I don't need to see a picture of her face yet.

by Anonymousreply 5101/27/2011

My cousin tried to kill himself with a handgun in his mouth. The bullet came out one of his eyes. He lived, but he's missing his eyes and quite a bit of tissue around the eyes. Most of his teeth were broken too.%0D %0D %0D %0D My family were big gun people. They aren't anymore.

by Anonymousreply 5201/27/2011

Oh, R52! You always make me laugh!

by Anonymousreply 5301/27/2011

Women also have better luck recuperating from strokes. They can transfer abilities from one side of the brain to the other better than men. One school of thought says it is because they deal with more things in their lives. Children, cooking, and higher functioning things. Men are more one track mind. Yes I know that is stereotyping but the tests have shown this is so. So if the damage is total on one side she will learn, over time, to transfer to the other. I know a researcher in OR who has been working on this for some time. They are hoping to use this for men so they can recover at a better rate than now.

by Anonymousreply 5401/27/2011

R51 -- no one was dissing Giffords' attempts to function, we were knocking the press for candy coating what is a serious situation.

by Anonymousreply 5501/27/2011

She looks fine to me.

by Anonymousreply 5601/27/2011

I'd still rather be disfigured than dead.%0D %0D She seemed uber-ambitious; maybe this will be a chance to change direction, stop and smell the roses a little?

by Anonymousreply 5701/27/2011

Great post, R51. You're exactly right. So much is unknown about the brain and neuro is a fascinating science. Areas of the brain can take up for the damaged tissue. She may have %0D language, visual and motor issues but it's amazing how much people can adapt to deficits and how certain functions can be re-routed. %0D %0D No, I don't suppose she is very photogenic right now and I'm glad to wait until she's ready.

by Anonymousreply 5801/31/2011

The media is talking about her anymore

by Anonymousreply 5901/31/2011

She's out of the news cycle. Other than the Arizona shooting, news was pretty slow there for a while both domestically and abroad. Now the media's moved on to Egypt, the Oscars, etc.

Giffords will show up soon however once Diane Sawyer has licked enough ass to get her on GMA or World News for one of her "look at this BRAVE woman" segments.

by Anonymousreply 6001/31/2011

Note to Egypt: Thank you!!!

by Anonymousreply 6101/31/2011

OP, why is it the media's job to "prepare" the public for how Giffords looks? What are you, a child?

And if the family is restricting media access to her, as it obviously is, why is it the media's responsibility to take photos in the hospital room?

Traumatic brain injury is the signature wound of the Iraq war. Have you not been paying attention to any of the coverage of those kids coming home, OP?

If you want to look at photos of what someone looks like with part of the skull removed to help ease brain swelling, I'm sure you can find them on the Internet. Why do you need to see Giffords that way, too?

Ghoulish, OP. Very ghoulish and very childish. Every reporter I've heard on TV talks not only about how well Giffords has done but how far she has to go and what a tough recovery this is.

That doesn't sound like sugar coating to me. It sounds like an explanation, as opposed to the airing of graphic photos for dweebs who want to surf someone else's tragedy.

by Anonymousreply 6201/31/2011

Pray for Gabby!

by Anonymousreply 6403/03/2011

Half her face is gone. We will probably never see her until extensive plastic surgery and after that she'll probablt look like a severly damamged burn victim. Like that woman from 9/11 who got caught in the elevator fireball. Very sad.

by Anonymousreply 6503/03/2011

How do you know half her face is gone? I hadn't heard that--I hope her recovery is going well.

by Anonymousreply 6603/03/2011

PHOENIX %E2%80%93 Rep. Gabrielle Giffords has been showing emotion and an impressive grasp of song lyrics as she recovers in a Houston hospital.

The wounded congresswoman's rabbi described her progress to The Associated Press after a visit to the hospital over the weekend.

Stephanie Aaron said Giffords sang Don McLean's "American Pie" with husband Mark Kelly and his two daughters, and that she knew the words better than the three of them. Giffords also chanted a Hebrew prayer with Aaron. Doctors have said previously that musical therapy is an important part of her recovery from a gunshot wound to the head.

Aaron also said Giffords cried when she left the room and displayed a big smile when she brought the congresswoman a card made by students at her former middle school.

by Anonymousreply 6703/03/2011

An impressive grasp of song lyrics?

by Anonymousreply 6803/03/2011

They're going to turn her into "Little Voice". I hope her therapy includes reading, writing, and trying to understand complex material.

by Anonymousreply 6903/03/2011

by Anonymousreply 7003/04/2011

Hmmm -- nothing about her possibly attending the April Space Shuttle Launch...

Earlier, they thought she could

by Anonymousreply 7103/04/2011

"Giffords sang Don McLean's "American Pie""

by Anonymousreply 7203/04/2011

You ever heard the words to that song? It's about 5 minutes long and really complicated. I wonder if she's really "singing" it or just mumbling or groaning along with the words. %0D %0D If she could sing the whole song that's pretty much speaking, but singing is a different part of the brain than singing. They must be working on training different speech pathways in the brain.

by Anonymousreply 7303/04/2011

If the family wants to share anecdotes of her recovery, then fine, but then they should at least tell the truth. That reporter who got blasted in the head was open about what happened to him and how he came back from his wounds, but without photos or videos, this seems so...contrived.

We wish her the best, but if recovery is the understandably long ugly process I suspect it is, then they should just get on with it.

We can wait until later for reports.

by Anonymousreply 7403/04/2011

Well, r74, I am sure as a family member, her grumbling to the tune is singing.%0D %0D You have to understand, her "singing" is singing to them, to them it must be glorious... they probably see it differently than us, plus it is personal to them. %0D %0D We know it's bad, there have been no videos or voice recordings for us to hear.%0D %0D If the family is uncomfortable showing us their family member with a gunshot wound, then so be it. As soon as she is fully recovered/partially recovered and aware of it, she can release the photos.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 7503/04/2011

I'm afraid she won't be able to make a full recovery. I wish she would but it could be a long time.

by Anonymousreply 7603/04/2011

The latest news is that her brain damage has made her something of a savant when it comes to song lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 7703/04/2011

Why did you say half of her face was gone? I had never heard that.

by Anonymousreply 7803/04/2011

This singing stuff is getting weird. I'm picturing 192os freakshow stuff belting out tunes with half a head.

by Anonymousreply 7903/04/2011

Wow. That's rough. No wonder her husband prefers space. I vote she go for the Phantom of the Opera mask until face transplants have progressed from their current state.

by Anonymousreply 8003/04/2011

The brain center for singing is a different spot than the brain center for speech. That is why they are having her sing. The Wash Post had a big article on her and this very thing.

by Anonymousreply 8103/04/2011

Geez. Such dramatics over what should be perfectly obvious to us at DL. Show me one woman or one queen who wants to be photographed not looking their best. And worse, having those photos floating around the internet for all eternity. %0D %0D Get a clue, Sherlocks.

by Anonymousreply 8203/05/2011

What part of the brain is used for click language?

by Anonymousreply 8303/05/2011

Giffords Suspect Charged With Murders of Judge, Aide

Tucson shootings suspect indicted on new charges including murders of judge, Giffords aide

By AMANDA LEE MYERS and JACQUES BILLEAUD Associated Press PHOENIX March 5, 2011 (AP)

The suspect in the attempted assassination of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was hit with dozens of new charges as federal prosecutors formally accused him of killing six people and wounding 13 others during a Tucson shooting rampage.

Jared Lee Loughner was charged in a 49-count grand jury indictment this week stemming from a Jan. 8 shooting at a political event held by Giffords outside a grocery store.

"This indictment is comprehensive and is solid, and covers all the murdered and injured victims," U.S. Attorney Dennis Burke said. "There are no distinctions at all between the victims. These victims were exercising one of the most precious and fundamental rights of American citizens."

by Anonymousreply 8403/05/2011

Are the other vics developing unusual singing abilities, too?

by Anonymousreply 8503/05/2011

The medical profession has always shown its extreme ignorance in the beauty field.

by Anonymousreply 8703/05/2011

You wrong, R86, but you made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 8803/05/2011

She'll never serve in Congress again but maybe she can sing Evergreen at the Grammys.

by Anonymousreply 8903/05/2011

Well, I hope the guy gets his ass beat in jail, every single day.%0D %0D On the other hand he is probably just a crazy person...victim of a society that has no health care for the poor.

by Anonymousreply 9003/08/2011

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords' condition improves by 'leaps and bounds'

Doctors say the congresswoman is making a tremendous recovery, stringing words together and becoming more mobile. They hope she'll be able to attend the launch of the space shuttle commanded by her husband.

By Thomas H. Maugh II, Los Angeles Times

March 12, 2011

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, shot in the head in a Tucson parking lot in January, "is making leaps and bounds in terms of neurological progress," doctors said Friday, and there is "a good possibility" she will be able to attend the final launch of the space shuttle Endeavour, which her husband, astronaut Mark Kelly, will command in April.

Giffords' speech "is getting very good" and she "is starting to walk with assistance," said Dr. Dong Kim, director of Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center, where she has been undergoing physical therapy since the end of January. "She has made a tremendous amount of progress from six weeks ago," he said.

"She is clearly saying words she wants and stringing words together %E2%80%A6 trying to speak in full sentences, such as 'I'm tired. I want to go to bed,'" he said. "She can say anything we want her to."

As she has gained strength, therapists have been able to add to her program, both in terms of difficulty and the types of therapy given.

"She is responding beautifully," Kim said. "She is gaining more movement, more ability to do things for herself.... The amount of assistance she needs has reduced significantly.

"Given that it has been only two months and she is already walking, that is a very favorable sign that she will be even stronger over the next few months."

by Anonymousreply 9103/11/2011

She is supposedly hoping to attend her husband's space shuttle launch next month...

by Anonymousreply 9203/11/2011

Only if there is time to replace that chunk of skull they sawed off to relieve pressure on her brain.

by Anonymousreply 9303/11/2011

Am I the only one having a problem with rolling Gabby out for her husbands event? It doesn't sound as though she is at the point of making well informed decisions yet. Gabby should make her first appearance on her own terms and for her own purposes. All of this feels like a NASA publicity stunt complete with Mark's ego.

by Anonymousreply 9403/12/2011

She will be veiled so TV cameras won't be able to catch a glimpse of her face.

by Anonymousreply 9503/12/2011

Then why do it???? This just reeks of ego and publicity

by Anonymousreply 9603/12/2011

Her family is made up of a bunch if fucking creepers.

by Anonymousreply 9703/12/2011

I disagree, R97. Call bullshit on that. They have their own version of dysfunction, like most families, but they are decent enough. I've known them for 25 years. They are warm, funny, intelligent and have wonderful stories to tell.

by Anonymousreply 9803/12/2011

The MDs don't seem to enthused by this plan, but I understand that in the medical world, the last line of defense against possibly harming a patient is the nurse assigned to GG's case.

Is this still true? Are nurse's still the patients advocate? And do they still have power?

by Anonymousreply 9903/12/2011

I really hope that comon sense prevails. Someone needs to remember that Gabby is not just Mark's wife, she is a successful and valued member of Congress. And before anyone chimes in to state the obvious, even if she never represents again, she should be allowed the courtesy to be honored as a Congresswoman period. Not as a NASA marketing ploy and certainly not if she is not ready.

by Anonymousreply 10003/12/2011

We're in discussions..

by Anonymousreply 10103/12/2011

I believe Giffords actually planned to attend her husband's launch before she was shot. Most all the families attend. So while there may be some PR involved (they are, after all an astronaut and Congresswoman) it also would be "normal" for Gabby to attend and see her husband off. %0D %0D Emotionally it's probably a good thing too. A nice outing out of the crazy of therapy for a few hours (imagine 8 hours+ of exercise in your day and really everything becomes homework) could be a positive emotional experience. %0D %0D Ready? Hard for me to assess from afar. She seems to be doing very well in the talking area, cognitively everyone is saying she's all there. That leaves the walking and hand. She'd hardly be the first person to attend in a wheelchair or a walker, if that were appropriate. There are other potential issues (e.g., noise sensitivity which TBI patients can be prone to but may not yet have been tested).%0D %0D I'm not sure where the idea that Giffords can't make well informed decisions is coming from. There was a prior issue about her being able to communicate her decisions but it's pretty clear that she now has real, conversational speech going. It's a little slow but that will fix itself over time. %0D %0D She's reading and discussing the NY Times daily, getting briefings from her Chief of Staff, and running a campaign from her hospital bed. And for those dissing the watching of Gossip Girl, it may be soap opera but it's very complex with twists and turns. You can't follow that show without fairly sharp cognitive skills. %0D %0D "The MDs don't seem to enthused by this plan," %0D %0D Not sure where this one is coming from. In their press conference the doctors were pretty positive about it. Doctors are pessimists. They know everything that can go wrong (that's their job). They can get sued if they make the wrong decision. This is a really high profile patient. I would almost guarantee you that they'll make the decision very close to the last minute but give good indications to the family that it is looking good before that point, just in case something goes wrong. Everything else they've done has gone along these directions with breathing tubes, et al staying in longer than necessary just to be conservative. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 10203/28/2011

[quote]I'm not sure where the idea that Giffords can't make well informed decisions is coming from.%0D %0D I imagine the fact that a bullet passed through her brain had something to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 10303/28/2011

More cynical left-wing sympathy-grabbing tactics from this maniacal, America-hating, border-crushing Socialist female who is refusing to do her job and enjoying an extended vacation at taxpayer expense while the people of her district are left to the mercy of the drug-pushing mercenaries in the Democratic Party. God, these whiners make me sick.

Get back to work, Congresswoman. What are you trying to hide, is what America wants to know?

by Anonymousreply 10403/28/2011

Pretty good, r104.

by Anonymousreply 10503/28/2011

[quote]God, these whiners make me sick.

I sure love me some Mike Malloy, who refers to Rush as the Pigman.

I hope more than anything that Giffords can make it back to Congress. If this NASA publicity stunt is risky in any way, they need to forget it.

by Anonymousreply 10603/28/2011

"I'm not sure where the idea that Giffords can't make well informed decisions is coming from."%0D %0D >>I imagine the fact that a bullet passed through her brain had something to do with it.>>%0D %0D Having a fullet pass through your brain or other TBI doesn't mean you can't make well informed decisions. It depends on the site of the damage. In Gabby's case, the bullet was from a low velocity gun and stayed on the top part of her brain. That's important because all those biggie cognitive skills are embedded way down in your brain to protect them. %0D %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 10703/28/2011

I think she's a vegetable.

by Anonymousreply 10803/28/2011

Yes, kathy, we know there's hope that she may make a nearly complete recovery. %0D %0D It's the fact that she was shot in the head AT ALL that causes us to suspect her judgment may be at least somewhat impaired for the time being. It would be less logical to assume otherwise. %0D %0D Frankly, if Giffords were my Congressperson I would want to see a great deal of evidence of her ability to converse and to answer questions in real time before I consented to allow her to serve again.

by Anonymousreply 10903/28/2011

My favorite news story is that she continually pushes her memory...trying to piece together odd bits that pop up out of nowhere.

For some reason, she began remembering pieces to the song "American Pie" and is determined to remember the entire song! This is one of her mental exercises and, from the report, gets upset with the nurses when they try to help her remember the lyrics.

This says a lot about this fighter!

by Anonymousreply 11003/28/2011

Another problem with this idea is the history of shuttle flights getting scrubbed at the last minute -- so they would have to prep her for the viewing (which may or may not include putting on her helmet if that chunk of skull they removed to relieve pressure has yet to be replaced) and wheel her out there. She may or may not be in an exposed place and may or may not be surrounded by others. I do not know a lot about head wounds, but issues about infections and such might come up if her immune system is compromised by drugs she is taking.

It just seems to be a lot to put a wounded person through, and even if she is honestly game, shuttle launches are a pain even for healthy people.

by Anonymousreply 11103/29/2011

There sure is a lot of anonymous posting here. Makes it hard to reference a post. %0D %0D Maybe it's worth going back to some biology and physics on the brain so we are all on the same page about it. Hold one hand up, palm in, vertically. Move the other hand 2-3 feet from that hand and with a relatively gentle motion push your index finger into the palm. For me I can feel that motion right around the palm. Now try that with a very hard motion. I can feel that up to my fingers. Your feelings may vary a bit. The first is sort of what happened to Giffords. She was shot using a single bullet with a low velocity gun. The second is what would have happened with a higher velocity gun (say a machine gun). The brain isn%E2%80%99t one big lump where if you hit is with something everything doesn%E2%80%99t work. If you%E2%80%99ve ever had a friend or loved one with a stroke, you%E2%80%99ve seen that. They may have temporarily lost the ability to walk but then regained it, for example.%0D %0D So those of you saying that there will likely be judgment issues in a TBI aren%E2%80%99t necessarily right. It depends on where the bullet went through and how much other damage was caused by the shaking of the brain (the equivalent of that softer index finger above). A front-to-back bullet track, as Giffords%E2%80%99 is, would have more devastating consequences the closer it was to the neck. A path near the top of the head would cause both less and different damage. Giffords%E2%80%99 wound appears to be more like the latter than the former. %0D %0D The one addition to that is swelling. When anything in your body is damaged, the body causes swelling in order to bring more blood, and hence nutrients, to it to fix up all the damage. This works great as long as the swelling doesn%E2%80%99t hit a hard object like the skull. That%E2%80%99s why recent medical science (this is Iraq War and newer) takes a part off of the skull, temporarily, when someone has a TBI. The brain can then swell, increase the blood flow and fix itself more quickly, while not bumping into something which causes it more damage (it was this secondary damage that actually was way more devastating in the past). The skin is sewn up so there is no open wound. Once the swelling goes down, and at a convenient time, the skull is replaced. So there isn%E2%80%99t an infection issue to warrant lack of travel. The doctors have made it clear that this presents no impediment to Gifford%E2%80%99s traveling to NASA or elsewhere. %0D %0D The bigger concern is that there is now not the nice, protective skull available in case someone falls. That%E2%80%99s why patients, such as Gabby, that have the small portion of the skull temporarily removed, wear helmets when out of bed. %0D %0D The doctors have done a full neurological workup and I%E2%80%99m certainly not privy to that. From what has been reported, it appears that the areas affected are those responsible for controlling parts of the right side of her body (particularly her arm but also her leg) and language generation. Areas not affected including personality, language understanding, sequencing, and ability to keep secrets (all of whom have been particularly cited by her doctors). %0D %0D With respect to language, the issue appears to be generation not reception. Even here it%E2%80%99s not all or nothing. Can she find the words and/or make the tongue and throat muscle movements? From what has been said, I%E2%80%99d guess the tongue and/or throat is the issue. In other words, look for narrow areas, given the kind of injury. %0D %0D The brain is also pretty amazing in the way it heals. It, like all of our body, truly wants to be whole. It a small section is damaged, it simple reattaches the function to the neighboring area. If that doesn%E2%80%99t work it tries to find another place to reattach the function. The more you use the function, the more the brain works to fix it. This is what all this therapy is about: endlessly repeating items until the brain has gotten it reattached or strengthening now weakened muscles. %0D

by Anonymousreply 11203/29/2011

Thanks kathy.

To reference previous posts, place the letter R in front of the post number, no spaces.

like this R112

by Anonymousreply 11303/29/2011

That's helpful info, Kathy. Thanks.

As always, sending my best to Gabby.

by Anonymousreply 11404/01/2011

Thanks Kathy. May I ask, what do they do to the part of the skull that is removed to keep it viable?

by Anonymousreply 11504/01/2011

Intern Says He's Talked With Giffords by Phone

Intern who aided Giffords after shooting says he's talked with her several times by phone The Associated Press

PHOENIX April 2, 2011 (AP)

The man who won praise for going to Rep. Gabrielle Giffords aid immediately after she was shot says he has spoken to the injured congresswoman several times on the phone and is amazed by her recovery.

Daniel Hernandez tells the Arizona Republic that their most recent conversation was Wednesday.

He says the calls have included "short interactions and long interactions" but declined to be more specific out of respect for her privacy.

Giffords was critically wounded by a gunshot to the head 12 weeks ago during a shooting rampage in Tucson. Six people died and 12 other people were wounded.

Her doctors say she is making significant advances in speech, motor skills and life skills.

{quote}the calls have included "short interactions and long interactions" but declined to be more specific.

Oh, okay.

by Anonymousreply 11604/02/2011

Gabrielle Giffords Shuttle Launch Visit Confirmed by Staff

April 9, 2011 12:01 PM By Adam Smit

Gabrielle Giffords' shuttle launch is a go, Houston.

Reuters reports that staff for the Arizona Congresswoman, who currently recovering from a gunshot wound she received in January, is planning on attending the launch of the shuttle Endeavor.

Skippered by Giffords' husband, Mark Kelly, the blastoff is schedule for the end of April, at which time doctors at Giffords' hospital in Houston, Texas will make the final decision about her fitfulness to attend.

"Doctors overseeing the congresswoman's recovery at TIRR Memorial Hermann Hospital in Houston will have the final word on whether Giffords will be able to attend the launch at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida," said her communications director CJ Karamargin in a statement. "Our office is making plans for her to attend, pending medical approval."

Karamargin added that no travel dates had yet been set and that the Congresswoman would not be issuing any statements or speaking with the press while in Florida.

Giffords was shot in the head while attending an outdoor town hall event in Tucson when a gunman opened fire on the crowd, killing 6 people and injuring 12 more.

She has been undergoing intensive rehabilitation therapy, and doctors have marveled at her rapid progress.

Representative Giffords attended her husband's last launch, a 2008 mission with the shuttle Discovery.

April's mission will be the last for Endeavor and the second-to-last before the shuttle fleet is retired altogether, Giffords' office told Reuters.

by Anonymousreply 11704/09/2011

How long can she lay up in a recover facility before her district is allowed a special election? It's sad what happened to her, but she's not exactly representing her district and nobody voted for her staff.

by Anonymousreply 11804/09/2011

The other issue is why is Palin still being treated as a viable candidate?%0D %0D The media is still reporting her running for 2012 with nary a trace of the Giffords situation. She incited violence by putting fucking crosshairs on democratic senators, and then gave a ten minute "don't blame me, I'm also a victim" speech. Even Republicans like Howard Stern ripped her apart over her disgusting lack of empathy. %0D %0D She should be a complete pariah.

by Anonymousreply 11904/09/2011

R115%0D The skull fragment (and it's only a small piece not the entire skull) can be stored either in a freezer or in the person's stomach. It's not a big thing and the reattachment is only interesting because it's near the brain and it's surgery. If the skull can be reattached (e.g., it was crushed--which isn't true here) then cosmetic surgeons fit a substitute. Giffords' surgeon made a comment at one point that he isn't worried one way or another about this. %0D

by Anonymousreply 12004/10/2011

R110: %0D %E2%80%9CMy favorite news story is that she continually pushes her memory...trying to piece together odd bits that pop up out of nowhere.%E2%80%9D%0D %0D Can you provide a URL to that? I can%E2%80%99t seem to find the reference to see the context. It%E2%80%99s also odd because the doctors have made it clear that Gifford%E2%80%99s long term memory is unaffected. %0D

by Anonymousreply 12104/10/2011

Half her face is gone.

by Anonymousreply 12204/10/2011

[quote]Republicans like Howard Stern

Off topic, but Howard Stern is absolutely NOT a Republican.

by Anonymousreply 12304/10/2011

R122,%0D %0D Half of Giffords face is not gone. She suffered a clean shot entering right above the eye and exiting above her ear. 2 small holes. Very little bleeding.

by Anonymousreply 12404/10/2011

[quote]Very little bleeding.

How come then her aide the nurse was credited for saving her life by sitting her up since she was choking on her blood?

by Anonymousreply 12504/10/2011

I'm hoping that kathy (authenticated)is just extremely well read and doesn't work in the medical center where the congresswoman is being treated.

by Anonymousreply 12604/10/2011

R122, her intern isn't a nurse. He had some first aid training, having thought about becoming a doctor (he is a student). Giffords was choking on her blood not because of quantity but because her airways were occluded by the blood (possibly combined with a weakened tongue or throat muscle caused by the bullet). He held her head up and it resolved the issue. Hold your tongue loosely in your mouth and move to a sitting position and you'll see basically what he likely did. He also put pressure on the wound to stop the bleeding. Both ideas were recently taught in a free Red Cross first aid class put on in Gifford's honor. %0D %0D r126, nothing I have posted is not already available publically.

by Anonymousreply 12704/10/2011

What's Really Going On With Gabby Giffords?

...a number of NEWSWEEK interviews%E2%80%94with Giffords staffers and friends who%E2%80%99ve visited her, doctors in Arizona and Houston who have treated her, and her husband, Mark%E2%80%94suggest that a more measured assessment of her progress is warranted.

Michael McNulty%E2%80%94scion of a prominent Arizona Democratic family (his father, James, was the last Democrat to hold Giffords%E2%80%99s seat), a close Giffords friend, and chairman of her last campaign%E2%80%94describes an atmosphere of concern and hope that has led at times to wishful thinking within the Giffords circle. %E2%80%9CI don%E2%80%99t know how prevalent this is, but I skip straight to this space, which, like some 6-year-old kid that thinks believing in something hard enough will make it come true, believes that she will come back and that she will make a difference in our lives,%E2%80%9D McNulty says. %E2%80%9CAnd, probably for my own self-defense, I am unable to entertain any other scenario.%E2%80%9D McNulty and his wife, Linda, have visited Giffords in Houston, and he knows that all the rosy reports have raised public expectations. %E2%80%9CIt does seem to me, trying to be objective, that the reports of her recovery are so cheery and optimistic that people are going to have this expectation that it won%E2%80%99t be another 18 months before they see her,%E2%80%9D he says. %E2%80%9CThey%E2%80%99re going to want Gabby to show up in front of the cameras sometime. I don%E2%80%99t know when that is.%E2%80%9D

by Anonymousreply 12804/18/2011

If she goes to the launch, she will be hidden from public view

by Anonymousreply 12904/18/2011

[quote] So what's on her iPod?

"Bang Your Head" - Quiet Riot

by Anonymousreply 13004/18/2011

Singing is a way to pronounce and string together words when regular speech isn't working. It is used all of the time in stroke and traumatic brain injury treatment. The poor woman was shot in the head, through the brain. It will be a long time before we see her again. However long it takes is how long it takes. For you anti-gun people, if you think the nut who shot her was (i) a right winger; (ii) a Republican; (iii) an NRA member or whatever - get real - what he is/was is a nut who obtained a weapon. Change the laws so this can't happen.

by Anonymousreply 13104/25/2011

She looks great in the footage they show on tv, of course, this may be file footage, but it doesn't say so.

by Anonymousreply 13204/25/2011

R131, you don't think the NRA (and its enablers/campaign contribution recipients in every legislature in the land) fights any change to gun laws that would prevent even a certified nut job from getting his hands on a gun?

The fact that guns are so easily obtained now, thanks to the NRA lobby army, is thanks to the NRA and its checkbook, period.

It couldn't care less how many people are mowed down by its indiscriminate killing machines. All it cares about is selling them to as many people as possible.

by Anonymousreply 13304/25/2011

stupid batch! cars kill more people than guns. move to where one eyed red coats have all the support they can tax for!

by Anonymousreply 13401/08/2013

[quote]All we keep hearing is how miraculous Gabrielle Giffords' recovery is...

Anyone with millions of dollars worth of free health care can have a "miraculous" recovery like this.

Thank you taxpayers!!!!

by Anonymousreply 13501/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!