Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Terms of Endearment is on TVLand

Could have been a spectacular movie if ANYONE else but Debra Winger had played Emma.

I loathe her.

by Anonymousreply 5001/20/2013

Oh, Jesus Christ, OP, she was perfect. One of the most realistic performances ever put on film.

by Anonymousreply 101/24/2011

Oh it fucking was not.

Same damn emotions and reactions through the entire film regardless of what she was reacting to.

by Anonymousreply 201/24/2011

Poor casting with Debra Winger, unless the objective had been to make the daughter as unlikeable as possible. Who cared about her? Who cared that she died?

by Anonymousreply 301/24/2011

I agree with R#2. Pitch perfect performance. I still tear up watching it.

by Anonymousreply 401/24/2011

Emma was not supposed to be that sympathetic.

by Anonymousreply 501/24/2011

There wouldn't have been any movie with Winger. She was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 601/24/2011

Nicholson and MacLaine were born to play their roles and the screen comes alive when it's just the two of them. The movie plods to a stuttering, twitching halt when Winger shows up.

And it was the last time Jeff Daniels was cute.

by Anonymousreply 701/24/2011

Spoiler alert, R3! Spoiler alert!

by Anonymousreply 801/24/2011

I loved this film, though I haven't seen it in years. Wouldn't mind seeing it again but won't watch it on TV Land as I hate watching theatrical releases on television.

by Anonymousreply 901/24/2011

She worked because she wasn't supposed to be very likable. There are movie characters I want to just slap for being so irritating, and she's high on my list. She's ineffectual and passive aggressive, and her complete inaction when she finds out her husband moved the entire family away just so he could follow some pussy he'd been banging on the side was purposely frustrating.

The point of her character was to clash with her mom, and the point of her dying was to see how her mother handled it. For that, Winger did very well. I actually think Jeff Daniels was the weak link in this film. Bland as oatmeal.

by Anonymousreply 1001/24/2011

Actually, what I meant to say was I don't like watching theatrical films on networks like TV Land that will likely edit them for content, not something like HBO.%0D %0D And I agree with R10 -- I thought Winger was perfect in this film.

by Anonymousreply 1101/24/2011

Like, this was Debra Winger's best role. OP, are you nuts?

by Anonymousreply 1201/24/2011

Sissy Spacek was originally cast to play Emma. Anyone know why she turned it down? %0D

by Anonymousreply 1301/24/2011

R10's points make me believe all the more that she was wrong for the film. All of Emma's traits would have been portrayed well by just about any one else.

by Anonymousreply 1401/24/2011

"Go get dressed.", Emma says to her son while on the phone to her mother.%0D %0D For that little bit of acting 101, Winger is perfect as Emma.

by Anonymousreply 1501/24/2011

[quote]Like, this was Debra Winger's best role. OP, are you nuts?

Quick R12 name another memorable Winger role.

3 . . .2 . . . 1

by Anonymousreply 1601/24/2011

Actually, it was "Go..get...dressed". Btw, the son was horribly mean to Emma. That really bothered ne,

by Anonymousreply 1701/24/2011

Whatever, OP.

by Anonymousreply 1801/24/2011

OP you are insane, Winger's performance is one of the finest ever recorded on film. Her attention to detail is extraordinary and the bits of business she finds for Emma are ingenious (such as popping the zit on her husbands bare shoulder as she speaks to her mother on the phone in bed). Her performance is raw and authentic unlike her two co-stars delivering their same ham-handed schtick. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 1901/24/2011

She was in "A Dangerous Woman" and gave a great performance, but DAMN that movie pissed me the hell off.

by Anonymousreply 2001/24/2011

[quote]Btw, the son was horribly mean to Emma. That really bothered ne,

A role I was born to play.

by Anonymousreply 2101/24/2011

I was pissed-off too, r20.

by Anonymousreply 2201/24/2011

[quote]name another memorable Winger role%0D %0D Wonder Woman's little sister!

by Anonymousreply 2301/24/2011

It's hard to believe Didi Conn turned it down to star in 'The Magic Show' and a Love Boat.

by Anonymousreply 2401/24/2011

[quote]name another memorable Winger role

Urban Cowboy

by Anonymousreply 2501/24/2011

Officer and a Gentleman

by Anonymousreply 2601/24/2011

An Officer And A Gentleman!! How young are you people?

by Anonymousreply 2701/24/2011

r26...I love that movie!

by Anonymousreply 2801/24/2011

"I actually think Jeff Daniels was the weak link in this film."%0D %0D Oh, I couldn't disagree more. Flap's actions are those of a complete cad, yet somehow, I still sympathize with him. I can understand why Emma drove him crazy and why he felt the need to get away from her (yet could not afford to leave her honestly). %0D %0D As someone else noted, we're not *supposed* to love Emma. We're supposed to think, "Why can't this loser pull herself together?" Female losers are so rarely portrayed in American film, which is why some viewers keep looking for warm and fuzzy attributes in Emma and are disappointed when they don't find them. %0D %0D Anyway, Daniels is marvelous in the scene in which Flap confronts Aurora in the cafeteria. Actually, I just think he's marvelous through the whole damn thing.

by Anonymousreply 2901/24/2011

"I loathe her."%0D %0D I LOATHE the entire movie

by Anonymousreply 3001/24/2011

[quote]Anyway, Daniels is marvelous in the scene in which Flap confronts Aurora in the cafeteria. Actually, I just think he's marvelous through the whole damn thing%0D %0D That was a great scene, caught me off guard.

by Anonymousreply 3101/24/2011

R30, I remember a co-worker at the time it came out told me she HATED it because it played too much with her emotions. She resented the fact that first it made her laugh and laugh for two hours, then made her cry her eyes out the last 45 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 3201/24/2011

Why is dressed as a 1950s bobbysoxer in a scene that would have occured in the early 1970s?

by Anonymousreply 3301/24/2011

As much as I love watching Maclaine, her performance too often veers very close to cartoon land. Winger is the one who grounds the film and makes it real.

by Anonymousreply 3401/24/2011

favorite line is from Shirley Maclaine in the beggining: "I used to serve this when I lived in Boston."

by Anonymousreply 3501/24/2011

Love Winger in that movie. I couldn't disagree with OP more.

by Anonymousreply 3601/24/2011

Not likable? What? Did you people even see this movie?

by Anonymousreply 3701/24/2011

Jesus fucking christ even when she plays the scene where she realizes she has to figure out what to do about her kids she can't even act well there. Hope they got it on the first take because she chewed that scene all to hell.

And contrast that to the very next scene when Aurora realizes Breedlove has traveled to Nebraska to see her.

It's like Winger's acting in one bad movie and Nicholson and MacLaine are in a far better one.

by Anonymousreply 3801/24/2011

"I was just inches from a clean getaway" is one of the best lines ever.

by Anonymousreply 3901/24/2011

I hated it because it was so fucking FAKE. %0D %0D The Shirley Maclaine part is like a different movie from the Winger part. WHAT is the era? Winger is dressed like the 1950s as a teen, is it the 50s? Then she's in the 1970s when married to Daniels. %0D %0D It's unbelievable, over written, over played, pretentious...

by Anonymousreply 4001/24/2011

I love this movie. I thought they were all great. Flapp was supposed to be bland as oatmeal. That was the point, he was a loser who Aurora was right about.

It's interesting, when I was younger I liked the Debra Winger story more. When I watch now, I am much more into Aurora/Garrett. I remember reading that Shirley McClaine wanted to to do a sequel based around their relationship. I think that would have been better than what finally got made.

PS. Winger was really in some classics. Loved An Office and a Gentleman and Urban Cowboy.

by Anonymousreply 4101/24/2011

Edith, you have a wonderful point.

by Anonymousreply 4201/24/2011

She also was great in "Shadowlands" and "Betrayed." She is one of the greatest naturalistic actresses ever. She has no peer, really.

by Anonymousreply 4301/24/2011

the tagline was memorable. "just keep telling yourself 'it's only a movie, only a movie...'"

by Anonymousreply 4401/24/2011

Yes, OP, you are right. You have obviously seen through a performance that many critics and viewers thought was amazing. But your keen observations have changed our point of view. Fuck you, Debra Winger, OP thinks you suck!

by Anonymousreply 4501/25/2011

Yes, Debra Winger's character was supposed to be annoying and make you want to slap her...but I never felt she got INTO that character. It was basically Debra Winger just playing her annoying self. I didn't find one moment when she triumphed over the annoying-ness and made you see that her character was not 100% obnoxious and unappealing. Even that death scene did not redeem her.%0D %0D Jeff Daniels, on the other hand, had several scenes in which he made something vulnerable and sympathetic shine through his schlubby character.

by Anonymousreply 4601/25/2011

Count me in as another one who loathes the movie. I totally agree that it is fake and manipulative. What is it with James Brooks? %0D %0D As Good As It Gets was the same, even worse. I can't believe how many people get sucked into his crap.

by Anonymousreply 4701/25/2011

How the hell did Debra Winger find the DL?

by Anonymousreply 4801/25/2011

Just watched it for the first time. That was it? What an overrated schlockfest. That said, I thought Winger was very good.

by Anonymousreply 4901/20/2013

Was Sissy Spacek cast in this version and dropped out or a previous version? The book was around a while and other directors were attached.

by Anonymousreply 5001/20/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!