Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Trendy Beards: Do or Don''t?

In New York it has now gotten to the point that the burly man beard thing has reached the over-saturation point. You can't walk into a bar now without seeing at least 10 gays with the prerequisite shaggy beard.

"The Beard and Plaid Set" that was once a counterforce the Chelsea Bois have now become the new Heathers...snippy and exclusive. No beard, no entry.

I guess this development is better than the tweezed, plucked and shaved look of the 90s but anything that smacks of brainless lemming-type trendiness is repellent to me.

Is the burly man beard the new faux-hawk? Should we officially put this trend to bed?

by Anonymousreply 7207/02/2013

I personally love it. the move the BETTER

by Anonymousreply 101/23/2011

But do you think it's a trend? I just think it's a little weird for grown men to grow facial hair just to fit in.

by Anonymousreply 201/23/2011

beards are hot. i LOVE it, trend or no!

by Anonymousreply 301/23/2011

beard bump

by Anonymousreply 401/24/2011

Hipster cubs are the new circuit boys.

by Anonymousreply 501/24/2011

Shaving the head instead of the face seems rather odd. Maybe it's a kind of dyslexia.

by Anonymousreply 601/24/2011

Trendy Beards? Taylor Swift: yes Renee Zellweger: no

by Anonymousreply 701/24/2011

[quote]No beard, no entry. %0D %0D No one I know has experienced this. I think it's just you. Some faces really need to be covered up a bit.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 801/24/2011

I love it

by Anonymousreply 901/24/2011

Nice Beard QUEEN!

by Anonymousreply 1001/24/2011

They are nice. Sadly I can't grow a decent beard to save my life so I won't be participating.

by Anonymousreply 1101/24/2011

Many do it to cover protease face.

by Anonymousreply 1201/24/2011

20,000 photos of Gay Boys with Beards

by Anonymousreply 1301/24/2011

OP I thought this was going to be a thread about Katie Holmes or Reese Witherspoon.

by Anonymousreply 1401/24/2011

The worst are the dizzy queens who just five years ago were sporting frost tipped hair and fake tans...now they're sporting beards and flannel. Trendizoids!

The Brawny Man look doesn't quite match your "Lady Mary von Poofie" voice.

Just because you've grown face pubes and moved from Chelsea to the East Village doesn't make you butch.

by Anonymousreply 1501/24/2011

It's not sex unless you're coughing up fur the next day.

by Anonymousreply 1601/24/2011

I hate this stupid trend. Especially when paired with the plaid shirt/ woolen cap uniform. Unless you actually live in a log cabin in the woods, hunt and roast animals over a fire, this look tragic. These herds of Grizzly Adams clones roving around Brooklyn make me sad.

by Anonymousreply 1701/24/2011

I am leading the Post-Beard-Trend Movement.

I grew a full beard two years ago and shaved it on my birthday last year, 3/4/10.

Therefore, I am Beyond Cool. All y'all can bow down now.

by Anonymousreply 1801/24/2011

In New York, it's preposterous, as are all your trends.

Here in California and the West Coast, it's functional.

by Anonymousreply 1901/24/2011

How is it "functional" on the West Coast?

by Anonymousreply 2001/24/2011

Please, California's trends are just New York's trends a year-and-a-half after the fact.

by Anonymousreply 2101/24/2011

I used to find beards on guys hot, now it's so fucking tedious. Nothing but a new wave of insecure clones. Hate it.

by Anonymousreply 2201/24/2011

Like I've always said, you can never go wrong with a beard.

by Anonymousreply 2301/24/2011

lovely to handle and to behold

by Anonymousreply 2401/24/2011

if its not organic for you then dont do it dont try too hard style and fashion sense should be effortless

are you the same ass hat that trims or shaves off his pubes?

by Anonymousreply 2501/24/2011

Love it. Anything is better than overmoisturised Clarins Queens with plucked eyebrows and fauxhawks. If you can't be a male, at least pretend.

by Anonymousreply 2601/24/2011

Is the beard proliferation just a gay thing? I see them all over lower Manhattan, and assumed it was the new hipster look, not a gay-specific one. But my gaydar isn't always the best. Anyone?

by Anonymousreply 2701/24/2011

r19- Beards are very functional for Snowpocalypse. Just look at all the alpiners and mountaineers.

by Anonymousreply 2801/24/2011

I have always loved beards but didn't like that before they were usually only on fat "bear" types. It is awesome that fit, hot guys have them now. I didn't realize it was a big trend in NY though, ugh, I guess that will be the death of it.

by Anonymousreply 2901/24/2011

It was 8 degrees in NYC today. I love my beard!

by Anonymousreply 3001/24/2011

They used to be so hot, but now a lot of effeminates are wearing them for trendiness.

by Anonymousreply 3101/24/2011

"a lot of effeminates(sic) are wearing them for trendiness."

So, you've interviewed them all for a butch quotient? You've tested the testosterone level in their pores?

What a snide sniping sack of flesh you are.

by Anonymousreply 3201/24/2011

R32 must be an effeminate.

by Anonymousreply 3301/24/2011

I certainly prefer them to the studied stubble look.

by Anonymousreply 3401/24/2011

So not hot. Stop trying so hard, for fuck's sake.

by Anonymousreply 3501/24/2011

There is nothing trendy about hot, bearded sexy men. Men have looked like that for eons.

by Anonymousreply 3601/24/2011

R27, it can't be just a gay thing! I've had a beard for months! No one ever said it was a popular trend among my gay friends and acquaintances. It just seemed like a real cool fashion trend. My stylist told me it was! Shit! I even did a magazine shoot with my beard. I went on fucking television with it! It can't be just a gay thing!%0D %0D And anyway, I just shaved it off.

by Anonymousreply 3701/24/2011

"[R32] must be an effeminate."

How's that going for ya, Mary? Projecting your own misery, that is. Hmm?

by Anonymousreply 3801/24/2011

[quote]Hmm?%0D %0D This is the affectation of an effeminate, all right.

by Anonymousreply 3901/25/2011

It's amazing that your puerile detective skills sense gender normative behavior via text on a screen.

What next, Nancy Drew? Gonna solve the Zodiac murders by fax?

by Anonymousreply 4001/25/2011

R40, your railing at the accusation of effeminancy tells us that 1) you think effeminancy is a negative thing, and 2) you hate that trait in yourself.%0D %0D Stop hating effeminancy, and you'll lose that urge to respond to his posts as though they were negative accusations.%0D %0D There is nothing wrong with men with feminine traits. You only enable the homohate when you believe that nonsense yourself.

by Anonymousreply 4101/25/2011

I think guys with beards are hot, but it does ruin the fantasy to discover that vapid queens are on the beard bandwagon. I always associate guys with beards with people who are laid back and cool--not vain and bitchy.

by Anonymousreply 4201/25/2011

R31 is extremely old.

by Anonymousreply 4301/25/2011

The real problem is the ridiculous conformity (a sign of insecurity) among gay men.

by Anonymousreply 4401/25/2011

A beard requires less grooming and attention than NOT growing a beard.%0D %0D To say they are trendy is like saying that long hair on girls is trendy.

by Anonymousreply 4501/25/2011

R32 must be an effeminate ... WITH A BEARD. Duh!

by Anonymousreply 4601/25/2011

Unfortunately, too many of the bearded guys you see out and about these days look like that short, fat fuck on AMERICAN PICKERS.

And woe be to this trend when the straight guys get ahold of it.

We will ALL be suffering from extreme beard fatigue!

They only invented vandykes and goatees 'cause some guys can't grow a full beard.

You know this is true.

by Anonymousreply 4701/25/2011

I love a good looking man with a nicely trimmed beard or goatee/stache and nice longish sideburns. It really adds to a man's masculinity in my book. Can't stand them when they just let them grow wild, all down the neck and way up on the cheeks. That just looks nasty.

In fact, facial hair is almost a must for me when it comes to a man I might hook up with.

by Anonymousreply 4801/25/2011

Tidy beards are totally revolting.

by Anonymousreply 4901/25/2011

The thicker and shaggier the better! Muzzling up to one feels so warm and sexily pubic. It makes me feel like a Victorian virgin ready for ravishment!

by Anonymousreply 5001/25/2011

me too, I love hairy guys in any form . .

by Anonymousreply 5101/25/2011

At least the clones in the pic at OP's link look arty and like they'd have something interesting to say. The ol' Chelsea clone look--tweezed, pumped and plucked--is just so... VAPID and empty-looking.

by Anonymousreply 5201/25/2011

it's the hottest thing evah! it's not a trend-it's a way of life!

by Anonymousreply 5301/25/2011

it's not a trend, it's a way of life!

by Anonymousreply 5401/25/2011

OP, and all you others, if you've ever had a bearded man make love to your cock with his mouth, or lick your balls, or nuzzle against the inside of your thighs while he's working his way back there,it wouldn't matter whether it was "trendy" or not. The question is absurd.

by Anonymousreply 5501/25/2011

I started growing a beard for this first time ever about two weeks ago. And I did start it as a trendy accessory, like wearing jewelry. But it has changed my life. For the first time ever instead of "cute" & "pretty", I'm getting "sexy" & "studly". Of all the hare-brained fads I've ever followed this one has had the biggest beauty impact on my life.%0D %0D I work with all gay men. Most of our clients are gay men. The business next door is all gay men. And at the end of the block is a club teeming with a-list gays. For the last past two years I've been up to my ass in gay men and nobody has ever noticed me or checked me out. I grow a beard and suddenly, I'm hot.%0D %0D Just today there is this guy who works hauling stuff around the store next door. He is SO cute, fit-fat, dark hair, cute eyes, beard, and I've tried to get him to notice me for months. So today I'm out back and he's back there moving shit off a truck and he looks at me and it was like the first time he ever looked at me. He smiled and said, "hello." A few hours later he comes into my shop, walks right up to me, and is like, "I just thought I'd come in and say hi." We talked for a minute and he looked right into my eyes the whole time. It was electric. My coworkers were so jealous because everyone wants this guy. I know its the beard that is making people take a second look. I've always been very "pretty" and this is the first time in my life I've ever felt I look manly. I'm starting to look like a boyish version of the Marlboro man. I'm keeping it, even after it goes out of style.

by Anonymousreply 5601/27/2011

A beard to be more fetching, is that it, R56?

One day you will look back on that sentiment and shudder at your na%C3%AFvet%C3%A9.

by Anonymousreply 5701/27/2011

Yes, R57. And I posted a pic on Facebook and I got a "like" and a "fierce" from two long-time Dataloungers..and it just so happens that they are my long-time Top Two that I find the most attractive and crushable in the history of DL.%0D %0D Eat your heart out.

by Anonymousreply 5801/29/2011

I have a thing for younger dark haired guys (white or black) with beards. I also think it's cool when dark haired guys have red beards. Hispanic guys don't look good with beards and neither do Asians or blondes.

by Anonymousreply 5901/29/2011

I once had a bear on my face but it was so itchy. It scratched the hell out of my boyfriend. It also tore his asshole up and dug into his balls. My boyfriend hated it.

by Anonymousreply 6001/30/2011

[quote]I once had a bear on my face but it was so itchy. It scratched the hell out of my boyfriend. It also tore his asshole up and dug into his balls. My boyfriend hated it.

Well, if you will let wildlife into the bedroom...

by Anonymousreply 6101/30/2011

Trendy? Perhaps you don't realize that through most of history grown men have had facial hair. I don't know how you could possibly have missed that fact, but apparently you have.

by Anonymousreply 6202/01/2011

R62 lives in Wyoming.

by Anonymousreply 6302/02/2011

My ex wears a beard. With it, he's fucking hot. Without it? Borderline unattractive. I can't explain it, really. But it's true.

by Anonymousreply 6402/02/2011

[quote]One day you will look back on that sentiment and shudder at your navet.

oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!

by Anonymousreply 6502/02/2011

Hot Bearded Men at link

by Anonymousreply 6605/22/2013

I have a feeling all of the people who rail against beards can't grow them.

by Anonymousreply 6705/22/2013

I hate thick beards. They always look like they're full of crumbs and/or bugs.

by Anonymousreply 6805/22/2013

They're wonderful if they're decent and full. Nothing worse than someone who can't grow a decent or even a semi-decent beard but who thinks his beard is hot.

by Anonymousreply 6905/22/2013

Beards are the crocs of 2013.

by Anonymousreply 7005/22/2013

The type of guys that grow beards because they are trendy are cut from the same unoriginal f-ing guys that thought mullets were cool in the 90's and pork chop sideburns were cool with barbed wire tattoos around the arm. Lame. Have fun looking like an a-hole when you go through old photos.

by Anonymousreply 7107/02/2013

The whole, "I haven't been near a razor for two months or more" look is silly, especially for men who live in Brooklyn or other urban areas.

However, there are beards that work... like anything, it depends upon the amount of grooming you give all of that facial hair.

If you check out verymanlymen.tumblr.com you'll see a wide array of beards. Some work, others don't, some are sexy other pretentious.

Over at beardelicious.tumblr.com are pics with some truly pretentious looks.

I wish I could cover my face in a good beard.

by Anonymousreply 7207/02/2013
Need more help? Click Here.