Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What did you call your grandparents when you were a kid?

Mine were nana & poppy and grandma and grandpa.

by Anonymousreply 9003/08/2013

Mom-Mom and Pop-Pop. I grew up in Philly.

by Anonymousreply 101/22/2011

In the south they use Mee-Maw and Pee-Paw

by Anonymousreply 201/22/2011

You Hot Stud and O Clueless One

by Anonymousreply 301/22/2011

Nonni and Nonno. It's an Italian thing.

by Anonymousreply 401/22/2011

Bubby and Zadie. It's a Jewish thing.

by Anonymousreply 501/22/2011

My friend from Ohio called hers Mee-maw and Paw-paw. For me, from Wisconsin, it was Grandpa and Grandma.

by Anonymousreply 601/22/2011

Nanny and Poppy%0D %0D %0D %0D Before I was born, my grandmother's neighbors grandchildren used to call her Nanny. My grandmother thought that was horrible. She said, "It reminds me of a nanny goat". Then I came along and that is the only thing I would call her.

by Anonymousreply 701/22/2011

Nana and Grampy for my mother's parents and I never knew my father's parents--they died when he was a young boy.

by Anonymousreply 801/22/2011

Mum Mum and No No

by Anonymousreply 901/22/2011

One set are Grandma and Grandpa, the other are Gran and Gramps.

by Anonymousreply 1001/22/2011

I forgot the other set. Grandmother and Grandfather.

by Anonymousreply 1101/22/2011

Grandma, later Granny. Grandfather died before I could ever address him directly.

by Anonymousreply 1201/22/2011

He taught me so much.

by Anonymousreply 1301/22/2011

Most frauesque thread ever.

by Anonymousreply 1401/22/2011

Grandmom, Grandpop.

by Anonymousreply 1501/22/2011

Gan-Gan and Po-Po (mom's parents) and Nana and Grampy (dad's parents).

by Anonymousreply 1601/22/2011

Grandma and Grandpa.

Only my mother's parents were alive by the time I was born. They were extremely hardworking Jewish immigrants from Poland. They came over with nothing and made a nice life for themselves and their family. They both worked at textile looms and eventually owned part of a mill as well as a house of their own. My grandmother was tough, especially with her children and her husband, but also soft and affectionate with her grandchildren. Beautiful and ambitious, she came to feel, I think, that she had married beneath her. She was also a very good cook; roasted lamb was her speciality. My grandfather was a gentleman -- kind, sweet. He took care of himself and always looked great. He taught me how to play chess. My grandmother used to yell at him to let me win, but he never did. He was happier than anyone when I started to beat him, though I didn't do so until I was almost grown-up and he was sick with the illness that killed him. I loved them both, and I still think of them every few weeks or so.

by Anonymousreply 1701/22/2011

Ma and Pa

Mimi and Pop

by Anonymousreply 1801/22/2011

R17, you had an enviable relationship with your grandparents. Mine were nearby but emotionally distant.

by Anonymousreply 1901/23/2011

Nana and Shithead.

Shithead liked Wild Turkey more than us grandkids.

by Anonymousreply 2001/23/2011

Bitch and Bastard

by Anonymousreply 2101/23/2011

I'm in the south and never heard me-maw and pee-paw. Now I've heard Mammaw and Pappaw (or Pawpaw.)

In my case, I'm like a throwback - my grandmother grew up in a desolate area, even for the Deep South, and was born in 1898, and she had me call her Mammy (right out of Gone with the Wind.) Oh and we're Caucasians of Scotch Irish stock with a bit of Cherokee.

I didn't have a grandfather but Grandpa was what I heard the most - and for women, it's usually Grandma, I think.

by Anonymousreply 2201/23/2011

Grandma and Grandpa, for my mom's parents. Dad's mom died when he was 15, so I never met her, and dad was estranged from his dad, so I only briefly saw him once, when I was 6. Apparently everyone called him RJ.

My grandparents were married 62+ years out of spite. Their entire relationship in one exchange. It was 1980, and I was visiting them in California before my senior year of high school. We were going over Sepulveda Boulevard. Grandpa was driving, I was next to him, and Grandma was in the back seat.

Grandma: "Charlie! There's a stop sign!" (Said in an alrmed and slightly shrewish voice) Grandpa: "Will you wait til I get there, Margaret??!!!" (Said rather barkingly, in a rather long-suffering kind of way.)

We have long said that this is going on their tombstones.

by Anonymousreply 2301/23/2011

Dolly and Poopy

by Anonymousreply 2401/23/2011

Stephanie Beacham's grandkids call her Glamma. Ho droll!

by Anonymousreply 2501/23/2011

Gran Mamaw & Gran Papaw

by Anonymousreply 2601/23/2011

I called (and call them now) nothing in particular. A lot of times I use(d) fake names as a joke. I guess the most common for me was grandmom and grandpop.

by Anonymousreply 2701/23/2011

R17: We called my Polish greatgrandmother Bopshi. You never told us what you called your grandparents.

by Anonymousreply 2801/23/2011

Memere and Pepere. (a French Canadian thing) %0D

by Anonymousreply 2901/23/2011

Nana and Grandpa.

by Anonymousreply 3001/23/2011

Grammy and Grampy. Grandma and Fat Dad

by Anonymousreply 3101/23/2011

Yes, R19, I was lucky to have them -- lucky also with my parents and brothers. The only downside is that it's almost impossible for me to blame anyone but myself for my screw-ups.

by Anonymousreply 3201/23/2011

Grannie and Grandaddy

by Anonymousreply 3301/23/2011

R1, I called them Grandma and Grandpa. They spoke Yiddish with my mother and my aunt but English with me, my brothers, and my cousins. Only once in a while would a Jewish endearment slip out, such as "shayna keppela." Like so many immigrants, they loved, loved, loved the United States, and they were proud to speak, read, and write English. Even though they both came over at 19 (he in 1914, she in 1919) and were denied the chance to go to school here, they spoke English grammatically and without much of an accept. It wasn't until I was a lawyer working in Paris and struggling with my French (which I had studied since I was 8) that I realized what they had accomplished (and I had not).

I don't mean to idealize them. Like everyone else, they had their faults. It's just that they made my brothers and me feel as if we were very important to them. Who wouldn't love that?

by Anonymousreply 3401/23/2011

On my maternal side, both of my mother's parents died during the Great Depression. My maternal grandmother died giving birth to twins: my mother, and an identical twin sister. About a month later, her father had to put all of the children (there were 17 of them) into an orphanage temporarily, until he could get back on his feet financially, so then he would be re-united with his family. (from what I've read it was a very comon practice during the Depression) A little less than 3 months after that, he was working a great, as well as a great paying job. He was working as a Russian, German, Swedish, Norwegian, and French translator and English teacher for the men who worked for the company. They were building massive amounts of railway lines, as well as highways across the country. He was also making quite a bit of money on the side as a language tutor for several the crew bosses, and anyone else who wanted/needed to converse with the men who were building the railway lines and highways. In that six months he had made enough money to have bought, furnished and staffed a large house.%0D %0D From the stories told I've heard, told by the family gossips, he was finally making a LOT more money than just enough to get by on. He was making enough money to support his children, to hire nannies to watch them, and to hire extra help for when he had to be away on business. Unfortunately he was killed in a car accident as he was driving to the orphanage to take his children back and bring them to the home he had just bought for them as a family. He was killed as he rounded a corner and drove into several cows. %0D %0D %0D On my paternal side, my grandfather died when I was about 18 months old. My mother has told me that I called him Pop-pop, I, of course, have no memory of this. What I called my grandmother was Grammother, Grandma, Grammy or Grammy Lady. When I was about 5 or 6 years old she developed the symptoms of Alzheimer%E2%80%99s, though it wasn't called Alzheimer%E2%80%99s then, it was called hardening of the arteries. Anyway, when she was fully there, mentally, my brothers and I always called her Gramother, Grandma, Grammy Lady, or Grammy. When she went thru one of her spells, or whatever it%E2%80%99s called when they are living in the past, and don%E2%80%99t recognize people, we called her Grand-nutter, Grazy Lady, or Grazy, and quite a few other things I'm too ashamed to admit to. It was SO not a proud period in my life.

by Anonymousreply 3501/23/2011

My maternal grandmother was known as Nana. I never met my maternal grandfather and he was never discussed. On the paternal side it was first names only, same with my aunts and uncles. Other kids thought it odd when I referred to my grandparents as Angela and Ely (his nickname) but that's how I'd always known them.

by Anonymousreply 3601/23/2011

Grandmama and Granddaddy. On the other side: Grandma, I didn't know my grandfather and can't remember what I called my greatgrandfather who I did know (grandma's dad). Never called my father, "dad" or any derivative, so Granddaddy is the only man I've ever called "daddy".

by Anonymousreply 3701/23/2011

r35 Why did you do that? The story hit a low with the death of a wife and mother of 17,then the miracle of finding a job that pays high enough to support all those kids,only for u to snatch it away with an abrupt car accident!?

Sorry about your grandparents, thanks for sharing.

by Anonymousreply 3801/23/2011

bump

by Anonymousreply 3901/23/2011

Yiayia and Pappou.

by Anonymousreply 4001/23/2011

Mamo and Papo. The others were "those scary-looking old people from Seattle."

by Anonymousreply 4101/23/2011

Grandma and Grandpa Jones and Grandma and Grandpa Smith. I was not allowed to call them by their first names (ie, Grandma Minnie and Grandpa George) because that was considered disrespectful.

I didn't consider it weird at the time, but I do now.

by Anonymousreply 4201/23/2011

LOL R7 my dad's mom said the same thing!

by Anonymousreply 4301/23/2011

My maternal grandparents were Papi and Avo (my grandmother was Portuguese).

I didn't call my paternal grandparents anything. They lived in the same city but I only met them a few times and they were not the kind of people who warmed up to their grandchildren. In fact they were pretty much evil.

by Anonymousreply 4401/23/2011

deceased, never knew any of them

by Anonymousreply 4501/23/2011

Nonny and Baba, Janma and Pop-Pop

by Anonymousreply 4601/23/2011

One side: Nana and Grandpa%0D %0D The other: Yiayia and Pappou...it's a Greek thing.

by Anonymousreply 4701/23/2011

Yiayia & pappou

Yiayia & pappouli :)

by Anonymousreply 4801/23/2011

r4, you called them the wrong thing. Nonni is "grandparents." Nonna is grandmother, Nonno is grandfather.

Scemo.

by Anonymousreply 4901/23/2011

One set: granny and pawpaw%0D the other: the same but with their last names, as if they didn't know which set they were.%0D %0D of course we liked the first set better, and still do, especially now that the 2nd set are dead. I had lunch with my 87 granny today.

by Anonymousreply 5001/23/2011

Omi and Opi

by Anonymousreply 5101/24/2011

Grandma and Granddad (mother's parents)%0D Nanny and Grandad (dad's parents)%0D %0D My sister also went through a phase of calling my mother's dad 'Grundy'

by Anonymousreply 5201/24/2011

Babci and Dziadziu

by Anonymousreply 5301/24/2011

This is a lovely thread. Thanks for starting it, OP.

by Anonymousreply 5401/24/2011

peepaw and memaw.

by Anonymousreply 5501/24/2011

bump

by Anonymousreply 5601/28/2011

Cheap.

The only gave me $20 for my birthday.

by Anonymousreply 5706/15/2012

Grandma and Mr. Bad Touch

by Anonymousreply 5806/15/2012

Mom's parents: Mammaw and Pappaw.

Dad's mom: Mammaw Two (when they introduced me to her they said "She is your Mammaw too..." and I didn't understand). She was Mammaw Two from then on.

by Anonymousreply 5906/15/2012

Grandpa and Grandma, Grandma, Grandma, Grandma, Grandma, and Grandma.

by Anonymousreply 6006/15/2012

Dead

by Anonymousreply 6106/15/2012

Madea (Mother dear), Papo, Soba, Pa.

by Anonymousreply 6206/15/2012

I didn't have a grandfather on either side, but I did have Gram (Mom's mother) and Grandma Hansen (dad's mother). My bf grww up in a very formal Southern family, and always called all of his grandparents Grandmother and Grandfather.

by Anonymousreply 6306/15/2012

I never really knew my mother's parents but my father's parents are/were gran and granda. Granda died six years ago.

Both were saints of the highest order. My mother went to live with my father and his parents when they were married. Within a few weeks, my mother's youngest brother and sister came to live with them. My mother had taken care of them for the previous four years because her mother was incapable of raising them herself. After finding out that they had not seen their mother for over 24 hours and there was no food in the house my gran and mum went and got them.

A year later, I was born along with my twin sister. A year after that, another uncle, who was beaten up for being gay - by his own older brothers among others - joined our happy family. Within a couple of years my gran and granda acquired a daughter-in-law and five kids.

by Anonymousreply 6406/15/2012

Moomie, or Nanoo, or OLD CA-CA

by Anonymousreply 6506/15/2012

Grammy and Granpa.

by Anonymousreply 6606/15/2012

paternal were granny and grandpa (Chicago); maternal were granny and paw-paw (Indiana Chicago Metro area)

by Anonymousreply 6706/15/2012

Moneybag 1 and Moneybag 2.

by Anonymousreply 6806/15/2012

Mom and Grandma. Both of my grandfathers died when my parents were infants; they were both NYC firefighters, and both died in fires.

by Anonymousreply 6906/15/2012

My maternal grandparents: Nana and Poppy.

My paternal grandparents: Grammy and Grandpa.

by Anonymousreply 7006/15/2012

Baba and Dedo -- both sides.

by Anonymousreply 7106/15/2012

Grandma & Grandpa, Oma & Opa

by Anonymousreply 7206/15/2012

Lolo & Lola

by Anonymousreply 7306/15/2012

Ah-well-ah. (Bastardization of Abuela, which means grandmother in Spanish). I must have called my grandfather "Abuelo," but he was a scary ass man so I don't think I ever actually adressed him at all. He died when I was very young.

Never met my father's parents.

by Anonymousreply 7406/15/2012

In the presence of each set: Grandma and Grandpa. In our family when we had to differentiate between which sets we were referring to, it was Grandma (first name) and Grandpa (first name) versus the others Grandpa (last name) and Grandpa (last name). I don't know why it wasn't the same for all 4. As we got older we shortened the reference to our grandmothers as just Gram, i.e. "Have you called Gram?"

The paternal set is still alive. Grandpa divorced Grandma in the early 1970s to run off and marry a secretary, which was more disturbing to me as a kid than my parents' own divorce. Grandpa is 90 now and married to his 4th wife. Karma got him as his much younger 2nd wife, divorced him for a younger man, 20 years after their marriage. Grandma is living alone, lonely and miserable at 88. She said even so, she wouldn't want to have stayed married to "that womanizer!" She's lonely for her kids to visit, not a man. She still looks glamorous every time we grandchildren visit. Both still have all their faculties. They're on good terms at the rare family gatherings. Maternal set died at long ago.

by Anonymousreply 7506/15/2012

Grandma. Both sides. Grandfathers were dead but we called them Grandpa when referring to them. I had one great grandmother alive, and she was Grandma as well.

But my mother's family was German, so we called the older generation Tante with their last names for the oldest ones, for respect, and with their first names for the slightly younger ones. Uncles were Onkel, but you didn't really here the difference.

by Anonymousreply 7606/15/2012

Cunty and mista-fo-dumie

by Anonymousreply 7706/15/2012

Paternal grandparents were Grandanny (my little sister couldn't pronounce Grandaddy so Grandanny stuck), and Grandmother. My maternal grandmother was Mamma Roy. I never knew my maternal grandfather he died long before I was born.

by Anonymousreply 7806/15/2012

Pappy and Sugar

Grandy and the Grandmother

by Anonymousreply 7906/15/2012

Both grandfathers were dead by the time I was born. My Anglo grandmother I called Grandma (Gramma), my Slovak grandmother was called Babka. Great-grandmother (never met, of course, just heard about her) was called Druga Babka, and I'm sure I'm spelling that wrong and I can't find a listing for it in the English-to-Slovak translation website.

by Anonymousreply 8006/15/2012

Trollo and trolla

by Anonymousreply 8106/15/2012

Nagy-Anya and Nagy-Apa

by Anonymousreply 8206/15/2012

Am I the only one who called them 'Grandmother' and "Grandfather'?

I suppose none of you called your parents 'Mother' and 'Father' either?

Were you raised by wolves?

by Anonymousreply 8306/16/2012

I called my mother's mother Mama because I was told that she was my mother. My real mother didn't know her father either, so the only grandparent I had was the one I used to think was my mother.

Yeah, my family was ghetto as fuck. LOL.

by Anonymousreply 8406/16/2012

My maternal grandparents were Grandma and Grandpa.

My paternal grandparents were Father John and Reverend Mother.

by Anonymousreply 8506/16/2012

I'd call them Grandma (first name) and Grandpa (first name). I started that w/my parents so they'd know which grandparent I was referring to but I don't know why I would actually call said grandparent that to their face.

by Anonymousreply 8606/16/2012

Baba

I only had one grandmother surviving and she was Baba.

by Anonymousreply 8706/17/2012

Granny and Paw Paw on my mother's side.

We didn't like our father's parents so we called them Grandmother and Grandfather. Of course, we only spoke to them maybe three times in my whole life.

by Anonymousreply 8806/17/2012

My mother's parents: Mamaw (mam*maw) and Papaw (pap*paw)

My father's parents: Grandma & Grandpa (last name)

My adoptive dad's parents: Granny and Grandpa Bob

My stepdad's parents: Grandpa Ron, Grandma Joedy & Grandma Barb

You can kind of see how I grew up in how I would address my grandparents... lol

by Anonymousreply 8903/08/2013

Grannie and Papa

The asshole ones were called Grandma Martha and Grandpa Jim

by Anonymousreply 9003/08/2013
Need more help? Click Here.