Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Just Finished The New Sal Mineo Biography

Better than most of its genre, pretty explicit in sexual details. Considering the timeframe, it would have been interesting to have had some historical context (i.e., the McCarthy hearings, Cuban missle crisis, etc.), but that's a small thing. Sal was a pretty fucked-up guy. I started out liking him very much but by the end of the book, I really had grown to dislike him. He screwed so many people over in various ways and was apparently pretty filthy in his living habits to boot.%0D %0D But an interesting book.

by Anonymousreply 6710/16/2013

Thanks, OP. Can't wait to read it.

by Anonymousreply 101/21/2011

What's the title, OP? I've always been fascinated by him. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 301/21/2011

Are you both so helpless that you cannot go to amazon, type in Sal Mineo and see which book comes up first?%0D %0D How do either of you get through life?

by Anonymousreply 401/21/2011

There's more than one bio listed, genius.

by Anonymousreply 501/21/2011

Does it say if he fucked Don Johnson?

by Anonymousreply 601/21/2011

The OP said the NEWEST bio you helpless asswipe.

by Anonymousreply 701/21/2011

Is it too much to ask that if somebody is going to start a thread about a book, they maybe put the title of said book somewhere in their post? It is like starting a thread about asswipes without mentioning R[4] and R[7].

by Anonymousreply 801/21/2011

I'm confused, what was Sal Mineo's role in the Cuban Missile Crisis?

by Anonymousreply 901/21/2011

I wan't to marry R9, solely on the basis of his/her log-in name :)

by Anonymousreply 1001/21/2011

"pretty filthy in his living habits to boot."

So he was a sloppy bottom?

by Anonymousreply 1101/21/2011

Nevermind you lazy asshole. I've completely lost interest by now.

by Anonymousreply 1201/21/2011

I'm guessing it's this one.

by Anonymousreply 1301/21/2011

Oh goddamn you, R9. I just spit noodles on a sales report.

by Anonymousreply 1401/21/2011

Sal Mineo: A Biography by Michael Gregg Michaud

by Anonymousreply 1501/21/2011

There is currently a commercial running with a young actor who could be a twin to Sal from RWAC.

by Anonymousreply 1601/21/2011

OP can you tell us some of what the author wrote about his sex life?

by Anonymousreply 1701/21/2011

OP here. Will briefly answer a few questions, but if you're that interested, you should read the damn book.%0D %0D 1) He supposedly did not start having sex with guys until he was in about his mid-20's. He had a long-term affair with actress Jill Haworth, one of his co-stars in "Exodus", until she caught him in bed with singer Bobby Sherman. (She and Sal, after not speaking for a year or so, finally resumed their friendship, but not their affair.) Jill actually let it slip in a joint television interview what had happened. Everyone in Hollywood and NY knew what his thing was and he became kind of "untouchable" after awhile as far as the business was concerned.%0D %0D 2) He was filthy in his living habits...let his dog shit all over his apartments and never cleaned it up...dried food on plates sitting around the house, dirty clothes everywhere, that kind of thing.%0D %0D 3) He was totally screwed over financially in his early days by his mother and entire family. He was about as non-savvy about money and business as it was possible to be and they more or less spent all of his money. The last 15 or 20 years or so of his life he was practically destitute. He never forgave them for that.%0D %0D 4) He adopted the look of a leather guy, but was not into S/M. He seemed to have preferred oral sex, both giving and getting it.%0D %0D 5) When he died, he was riddled with debt, he owed everyone. He family would never admit that he was gay and swooped in and gathered up and destroyed most of his belongings, especially letters and photographs that would have incriminated him as being gay.

by Anonymousreply 1801/21/2011

[quote]There's more than one bio listed, genius.%0D %0D The OP clearly states the bio is "new." Again, something someone without mental impairment can find out easily via Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 1901/21/2011

And the book is dedicated to Jill and Courtney Burr III the two people that loved Sal.%0D Jill was afraid that Bobby Sherman would try and sue her. Sadly, we lost her too earlier this month. A sweet,sweet woman.%0D It is quite a read and Mr. Michaud did a great job. Never have seen a review in the NY Times book review section. Has anyone?

by Anonymousreply 2001/21/2011

"He supposedly did not start having sex with guys until he was in about his mid-20's"

So much for the story about his being shacked up with Nicholas Ray during the making of "Rebel Without a Cause."

by Anonymousreply 2101/21/2011

My understanding has always been that it was both James Dean and Natalie Wood who played around with Nicholas Ray. Ray was bisexual, but I think Dean was much more his type when it came to guys.

by Anonymousreply 2201/21/2011

I heard Frances Bavier was a dirty hag too.

by Anonymousreply 2301/21/2011

"Bisexual for much of his life, Ray was arguably a director who invested both kinds of pairings with similar erotic as well as romantic dynamics."

by Anonymousreply 2401/21/2011

Bobby Sherman????

by Anonymousreply 2501/21/2011

And no truth to his having been buggered by Yul Brynner?

by Anonymousreply 2601/21/2011

The affair with Bobby Sherman shocked the hell out of me. But what hot visuals! Bobby was gorgeous in his prime (I had a crush on him when I was a preteen). Too bad Bobby dumped Sal after he got a record deal and his star was on the rise.

Don Johnson didn't fuck Sal. He was his roommate for awhile when both were appearing in that play about prison. Sal was close to Don and his gf at the time but Don was straight and didn't do Sal.

Sal was also very close to David Cassidy, used to smoke a lot of pot with him and no they never fucked either (David is/was straight).

But yeah--he fucked Bobby Sherman! Love it.

by Anonymousreply 2701/21/2011

"OP here. Will briefly answer a few questions, but if you're that interested, you should read the damn book."%0D %0D Jesus, OP, why start the fucking thread if that's your attitude?

by Anonymousreply 2801/21/2011

I'm a dyke and even I know that neither David Cassidy nor Don Johnson were ever straight. Bisexual, maybe, but not straight.

by Anonymousreply 2901/21/2011

Don Johnson is bi. Many stories about him.

by Anonymousreply 3001/21/2011

I can see it now: THE SAL MINEO STORY, a movie starring DARREN CRISS, directed by RYAN MURPHY.

Bobby Sherman had a gorgeous head of hair, laser-blue eyes, and a hot bubble butt. What else would you need in a fuck buddy? The mind reels.

by Anonymousreply 3101/21/2011

Love you, R9.

by Anonymousreply 3201/21/2011

Bobby Sherman is now a 65 year old, fat Sheriff's Deputy.

by Anonymousreply 3301/21/2011

65? Try 68.

by Anonymousreply 3401/21/2011

I'll never forget those poolside photos of Bobby for some teen magazine. Skimpy bathing suit and always had a hard on.%0D I was shocked too when I read that in the book.%0D

by Anonymousreply 3501/21/2011

Hmmm.... wonder if Bobby was out to his cop coworkers? Cuz he is now.

by Anonymousreply 3601/21/2011

Walking in on Sal and Bobby Sherman fucking shocked the hell out of Jill Haworth. I don't think she ever got over Sal. He was the love of her life.

by Anonymousreply 3701/21/2011

R27, do you make that stuff up?

by Anonymousreply 3801/21/2011

Really r35? Provide a link if you can find one.

by Anonymousreply 3901/21/2011

Bobby Sherman today, in uniform

by Anonymousreply 4001/21/2011

I doubt that's a recent photo, R 40. He's fatter than that.

by Anonymousreply 4101/21/2011

R35- A few months ago those pics were there under Bobby Sherman images on Google. The were photos from Tiger Beat! Such an innocent time

by Anonymousreply 4201/21/2011

OP, when does the book pick up steam? I'm about a 100 pages in and have been kind of bored. It's like reading a career overview on IMDb. "After completing production on Crime in the Streets, Sal returned to New York, where he landed his next television appearance in NBC's Goodyear Playhouse. As he was busy rehearsing for Playhouse, his mother signed a contract for Sal to star in an episode of Studio One, a one-hour drama anthology."%0D %0D I did think it was interesting to read that in 1956, he made $85,000. After paying his manger (his mom), his agent, laying 15% aside for US Savings Bond (which CA law required) and paying his state and federal taxes, he was left with only $33,000. And then, $16,000 of that went to the handling of his fan mail!

by Anonymousreply 4301/21/2011

It picks up steam when Sal starts fucking guys. Keep reading.

by Anonymousreply 4401/21/2011

They want to make a movie based on Sal Mineo's bigraphy. They are considering James Franco to play Sal Mineo.

by Anonymousreply 4501/21/2011

I agree with you, R43--after a while I gave up and just skimmed.

His mother was a total piece of work, though--she turned down scripts sent to him and insisted that whatever Sal earned had to be shared with his lazy brothers.

It's a shame that his career ended up in the dumpster so soon. But he was tough to cast once his "misunderstood delinquent" phase was over. Because of his looks he was stuck with ethnic roles at a time when ethnics weren't in, so it was strictly Italians, Jews and Native Americans. Plus he was very short--below the Paul Newman line (yes, I know Alan Ladd was short, but he was blond and blue-eyed). By the time ethnics did come in, in the late 60's, he was off Hollywood's radar screen for major roles.

by Anonymousreply 4601/21/2011

His movie career was also derailed by his foray into the world of teenybopper pop stardom. He spent a couple years actively pursuing that (recording, performing, etc). He also never really transitioned from his troubled teen/juvenile delinquent roles ..... lots of talk about the roles he wanted, but never got and taking roles he thought were beneath him to pay the bills.%0D %0D I learned in this book that Sal posed nude for a famous painting (you can google 'The New Adam'), was in talks to pose for 'Playgirl' and felt up the 18 year old guy who had played in 'Lassie' (I think) .... during a threeway with the guy and his girlfriend.

by Anonymousreply 4701/21/2011

I want-- nay, NEED to see the Bobby Sherman boner pictures from Tiger Beat Off.

by Anonymousreply 4801/21/2011

Does Bobby Sherman know that this was written about him?

by Anonymousreply 4901/21/2011

New Adam

by Anonymousreply 5001/21/2011

r50 that's Sal?

by Anonymousreply 5101/21/2011

Not R50, but yes, that's Sal.

by Anonymousreply 5201/21/2011

That's Sal there is, R51.

by Anonymousreply 5301/21/2011

I think it is a fascinating book. So sad his family ripped him off and sponged off of him for so long. Sal also had no business sense and spent every dime he made. That was a very difficult era to be gay, I have a friend who did the same thing, tried to marry a woman only to have her walk in on him screwing a guy. Different era, these days not many give a rats ass, I sure as hell don't care who knows I'm gay. But it was different back then. Police raided bars and did all kinds of things to gay men. %0D %0D Maybe Sal would have turned his life around had he not been murdered by some career criminal teenager. Sad part is the kid didn't really mean to kill him he just wanted him to stop yelling and had the bad luck to hit Sal in the heart when he lunged at him. He didn't even get any money. Crime was worse in the 70's & 80's than it is now. Franco if he dyed his hair black might resemble Sal but I'm kind of sick of Franco these days especially after that horrific Acadamy Awards hosting gig.

by Anonymousreply 5403/15/2011

If Bobby Sherman is 68, he has to be retired from the force, doesn't he? Has he ever married? And did anyone seek comment from him after the book's publication?

For the record, I thought most of the book was a snooze, too. I looked at it in the bookstore and yes, large parts of it are nothing more than an expanded but less interesting imdb listing.

by Anonymousreply 5503/15/2011

Sal Mineo's death was just the ultimate of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. It was a random robbery and nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 5603/15/2011

Sal was the best bottom I ever had. Damn, I miss him.

by Anonymousreply 5703/15/2011

This all sounds like hype and pretty weak hype if you ask me. I've heard of more interesting gay topics on bathroom walls than what is being discussed here. it must be three posters who have been paid to shill for this book.

by Anonymousreply 5803/15/2011

My dear departed husband knew him. Said he liked to watch couples having sex and would feel while he masturbated but didn't like to really partake himself. My husband had a couple of scenes like that with him.

by Anonymousreply 5903/15/2011

Yes, R55, Bobby Sherman was married. Divorced. Has two sons. Before she died, Jill Haworth was concerned that Sherman might sue her after she disclosed the Booby/Sal hookup.

by Anonymousreply 6003/15/2011

Sorry, I meant BOBBY /Sal hookup... not Booby.%0D

by Anonymousreply 6103/15/2011

I was never a big Mineo fan and I didn't expect to read the biography from cover to cover when a friend gave it to me. Somehow I was drawn into it, though, and I read every word. I'm not sure whether that speaks well of the author and his skill or the attraction of the subject...or both.

I agree that the book is heavy with detail and information and that can be boring, but performance information, comments by critics, etc., gives a new prospective on Sal's experience and talent. He was nominated for two Academy awards! Reviews of his major work in film and theatre were the kind that actors dream about. He made the "big time" in a cut throat profession and he did that while he was a "kid." He deserves a little respect, I think.

At the risk of sounding a little "high toned," I have to say that as I read the book I found myself thinking of the classic "tragic hero." There can be no doubt that Sal "fell" from a great height. That fall was triggered by some "tragic flaw." The question is: what was that flaw? I have some ideas.

I just finished the book. I already knew the story and how it would end. Then, why do I feel as if I have lost a friend? I mourn.

by Anonymousreply 6205/20/2013

Few DataLoungers realize that Bobby Sherman was, and is, a big follower of DL.

Not too long ago he wrote this ballad for the heart of DL's very own Julie.

by Anonymousreply 6305/21/2013

Bobby Sherman TIGER BEAT COVERS!!!!

by Anonymousreply 6505/21/2013

Thanks OP, I'll pick it up.

by Anonymousreply 6710/16/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!