Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

When music was weird

Does anyone besides me miss the weirdness of the music scene of the late 70s and early 80s? Particularly the female artists.%0D %0D Lene Lovich, Nina Hagen, Kate Bush, Siouxsie, Klaus Nomi, the B-52s, etc. No one is that weird or innovative anymore. Well, there's Bjork, but she's the only one.%0D %0D And don't mention Lady GaGa. She's a mainstream pop star in weird clothes.

by Anonymousreply 14904/20/2014

Agree OP. So much great music. I loved Hugo Largo.

you're right about Gaga too. Her music is disposable and she knows it so she tries to overcompensate by wearing flank steak.

by Anonymousreply 101/19/2011

Kate Bush is putting out a new album soon.

by Anonymousreply 201/19/2011

Let's not get carried away, R2. It may just be a few new songs on another "Best of" album.

by Anonymousreply 301/19/2011

And Diamanda Galas and Grace Jones. Hell, Cyndi Lauper was weird for her day. Even that fucking rapper with the fake nose; that was weird.

by Anonymousreply 401/19/2011

That music sucked, OP.

Get over it, gramps!

by Anonymousreply 501/19/2011

What about Dildo? she's pretty weird.

by Anonymousreply 601/19/2011

Nina Hagen scared the living hell out of me.

by Anonymousreply 701/19/2011

Still love Diamanda. She's a genius.

OP, much weird music is underground and/or obscure. You don't know about it because you're not looking for it. Xiu Xiu and Fiery Furnaces are examples.

by Anonymousreply 801/19/2011

Your music sucks, R5!

Get used to it, you stupid twink!

And get off my lawn!

by Anonymousreply 901/19/2011

I'm right there with you, OP. Remembering the days of Teenage Jesus and the Jerks (and Lydia Lunch's later incarnations), the Bush Tetras, Adele Bertei and all the rest gigging aorund the East Village, back when Tompkins Square hadn't been overrun by Wall Streeters. Fun times.

by Anonymousreply 1001/19/2011

There is plenty of artists making weird music today. One just needs to seek it out. Check out the beautiful Antony And The Johnsons - You Are My Siter with fellow freak Boy George

by Anonymousreply 1101/19/2011

I had a Lydia Lunch cassette. Remember that one chick...what was her name? Karen Finnley? She had these really dirty songs that they used to play at this fourteen and up nightclub I used to go to in 1988. I can't remember any of her songs, I just remember that they were Rated X.

by Anonymousreply 1201/19/2011

What r11 said. Plenty of weird music out there. However, mainstream music is just one autotuned atrocity after another. I do miss the breadth of artists that fit in the mainstream in the 70s and 80s.

by Anonymousreply 1301/19/2011

Sorry grammar police. %0D %0D There are plenty of artists...%0D %0D You Are My Sister not Siter

by Anonymousreply 1401/19/2011

The Knife - Pass This On

by Anonymousreply 1501/19/2011

I felt that nostalgic vibe about Florence and the Machine's song and video "Dog Days Are Over" - reminded me a lot of Siouxsie and Kate and Fiona Apple - but then Florence got catapulted into the mainstream for 15 minutes. It was pathetic when the Glee cheerleader girls sang her song with no clue as to mood/feeling.

by Anonymousreply 1601/19/2011

I loved The Bloods and the Bush Tetras.

Wasn't rock writer MTV VJ Tim Sommer in Hugo Largo? He actually answered his fan mail, cool guy.

I saw Lena Lovich during the Stiff Tour. The gig was at The Bottom Line and I think there were at least 7-8 different bands. It was a very long late show.

by Anonymousreply 1701/19/2011

Wendy O. Williams owns this thread.

by Anonymousreply 1801/19/2011

There's plenty of weird music. Lykke Li is a personal favourite.

by Anonymousreply 1901/19/2011

R14, that's not grammar, that's spelling.

by Anonymousreply 2001/19/2011

The weird music of today is more girly, more coy and more insider-y. It's not as rough-hewn.

Patti Smith could be pretty weird too. Marianne Faithfull's Broken English was very harsh -- wimps like Xiu Xiu couldn't make that record.

by Anonymousreply 2101/19/2011

Weird (and gay): J%C3%B3nsi

by Anonymousreply 2201/19/2011

I think R21 is right. Today's "weird" music is too hipstery and self-conscious. There are no full-on freaks like Kate, Nina, Klaus, or Lene anymore.%0D %0D Aside from Bjork, that is.

by Anonymousreply 2301/19/2011

Even Debbie Harry and Blondie were weird in a sexy kind of way. They were very New York and still displayed their punk roots.

by Anonymousreply 2401/19/2011

R22, I adore Jonsi, Boy Lilikoi is a beautiful song.

by Anonymousreply 2501/19/2011

I think Robyn (saw her at the Nobel Peace Prize concert) is weirder than Florence and Machine. Not that I don't like Florence, but I don't consider her weird (and I surely wouldn't compare her to Siouxie).

IMHO Zola Jesus is weird and makes weird music that reminds me Siouxsie.

by Anonymousreply 2601/19/2011

B52s weird? More like drunken college girls thing.

Diamanda Galas and Grace Jones were "weird".

by Anonymousreply 2701/19/2011

And a time-lapse of a Jonsi's live show from last fall - stunning!

by Anonymousreply 2801/19/2011

R27, the B52's were considered weird in their day. The costumes, big wigs, the Yoko Ono style vocalizing and Fred basically doing his own version of rap....YES, they were weird.

Diamanda Galas is an acquired taste, while she's 'weird', she definitely is not as accessible as Bjork, Lene Lovich or the B52's. Hers is not background music.

Diamanda actually did a 'rock' album with John Paul Jones of Zeppelin, it was still pretty weird.

by Anonymousreply 2901/19/2011

Anyone heard of the Voluputous Horror of Karen Black? They are pretty out there.

by Anonymousreply 3001/19/2011

The B-52s had been around for some time before Love Shack. Trust me, they were weird.

by Anonymousreply 3101/19/2011

But Lady Gaga sings that she's a freak bitch, so it must be true.

by Anonymousreply 3201/19/2011

No she sings free bitch!

by Anonymousreply 3301/19/2011

You didn't mention all the music that sucked during that time period. True, "weirder" acts probably had a better chance of getting promoted by a label and breaking into the mainstream, but I think there's still plenty of weird music, though as others have pointed out, it takes more of an effort to seek it out.

OP's thread is just another "everything sucks now, my generation/childhood ruled and I'm cranky" thread.

by Anonymousreply 3401/19/2011

No weird music? Please. Check out boomkat.com and you'll get a glimpse just how much weird music is out there. There's a whole scene blossoming based on the icy synth wave of the early 80s, there's witch-house (or whatever the f*ck Pitchfork calls it), there's drone, doom, psyche, avant-pop. These are glory days for collector of non-mainstream and weirdo music. It takes five minutes on the internet to demonstrate what a hollow untruth it is to say there's no weird music anymore. And yes, the Bush Tetras were beyond awesome.

by Anonymousreply 3501/19/2011

[quote] The B-52s had been around for some time before Love Shack. Trust me, they were weird.

Planet Claire

Rock Lobster

You're missing the point R35. The odd stuff was much more accessible back then. Hell, all music was before radio became all talk all the time. We don't even have MTV music videos anymore.

You didn't have to look that hard for it back then, we didn't need people like you to tell us where to find it.

But your efforts are appreciated. I will check out your suggestions.

by Anonymousreply 3601/19/2011

OP said the music scene is not as weird as it was in the 70s/80s. I was trying to say it was segments of the music scene that were weird then, just as there are segments of the music scene that are weird now.

by Anonymousreply 3701/19/2011

It wasn't just women... Japan's hit "Visions of China" is definitely not a typical, mainstream song at all. Loved Japan.%0D

by Anonymousreply 3801/19/2011

That's beautiful, R11.%0D %0D Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 3901/19/2011

And then there were the overtly gay weirdos. Boy George, Pete Burns, Marilyn, Jimmy Somerville, Pete Shelley, DIVINE!!!

by Anonymousreply 4001/19/2011

[quote]There's a whole scene blossoming based on the icy synth wave of the early 80s,%0D %0D Fine, but it's not original or particulary innovative. It's all been done before. Better.

by Anonymousreply 4101/19/2011

So Jonsi and Bjork are it then? Iceland wins!

by Anonymousreply 4201/19/2011

A lot of people in this thread seem to be suffering from 'things were so much better in my day' fogey-ism. Perhaps you've all just lost touch with what's interesting and innovative in music, or you've lost interest and prefer your music a bit more familiar and a bit less challenging. There's nothing wrong with being nostalgic, but dismissing contemporary music on the whole as being inferior to the music you listened to in your youth just makes you sound old and reactionary. It's certainly true that the woes of the major record labels have led to a decline in risk-taking by the majors, but the boom in communications technology has meant that the independent music scene has never been healthier.

by Anonymousreply 4301/19/2011

I love this one by Lene Lovich:

by Anonymousreply 4401/19/2011

[quote]There's nothing wrong with being nostalgic, but dismissing contemporary music on the whole as being inferior to the music you listened to in your youth just makes you sound old and reactionary%0D %0D No one is doing that. Settle down, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 4501/19/2011

"Fine, but it's not original or particulary innovative. It's all been done before. Better."

Then what do you call this, dumbfuck at 45?

by Anonymousreply 4601/19/2011

Loved most of the music in this thread.

Anyone else remember the harder weird stuff? Einsturzende Neubauten? Ethyl Meatplow? The Revolting Cocks?

by Anonymousreply 4701/19/2011

Joanna Newsom.

by Anonymousreply 4801/19/2011

[quote]I do miss the breadth of artists that fit in the mainstream in the 70s and 80s.%0D %0D Rose colored glasses on you.%0D %0D 70's and 80's pop acts were almost as formulaic as today's acts. The artists listed in this thread had ZERO to ALMOST ZERO hits played on the radio, or in the Top 40.%0D %0D There have always been off-genre acts. You have always had to find them. That's what college is all about. The real issue with the whiners on this thread is that they haven't been in college in a long time...and haven't been exposed to the wonderful music, weird and not weird, of today.%0D %0D Look at the top 40 of the 70's and 80's. Not a single 'weird' song in the bunch.%0D %0D Kate Bush had ONE top 40 hit, Running Up That Hill, which was pretty mainstream for her...because it was mellow. Not a single track from The Dreaming would ever have made it into the Top 40.%0D %0D Well, the same is true for today. %0D %0D I agree though, it's unfortunate that we are MORE forced into a corner with the derivativeness of pop these days than others...but weird music, or avant-garde music is there for a reason. It's anti-pop.%0D %0D You all are lamenting something imaginary. Avant-garde music is specifically NOT marketable.%0D %0D Yesterday it was Sonic Youth. Today it's Animal Collective.%0D %0D Yesterday it was Kate Bush. Today it's Bjork.%0D %0D None of these fuckers make it big, and that's the way it should be.

by Anonymousreply 4901/20/2011

Lovich's Stateless album is pretty amazing, but her follow-ups got weaker and weaker. It's a shame, because I loved her quirkiness and even though the music was odd, it was incredibly catchy.

by Anonymousreply 5001/20/2011

"Anyone else remember the harder weird stuff? Einsturzende Neubauten? Ethyl Meatplow? The Revolting Cocks?"

I also remember Throbbing Gristle from the UK. Definitely weird and definitely not mainstream.

Do anyone remember when Ministry had a dance hit "Work for Love" before they became an industrial metal band? Al Jourgensen doesn't like to talk much about his synth pop days when he sang in a faux British accent.

by Anonymousreply 5101/20/2011

Whoops..."Does anyone..."

by Anonymousreply 5201/20/2011

R12

That was THE Karen Finley. She actually did a music album in the 1980s.

A friend of mine also made the assumption that it was a singer with the same name. But no---it really was Karen Finley and it really did get club play.

by Anonymousreply 5301/20/2011

I read today that the band Cake's album was No. 1 on the Billboard chart with 44,000 units sold.

Just a decade ago, No. 1 albums often sold 1 - 2 million that week. 500k at the very least.

by Anonymousreply 5401/20/2011

Ween is weird and modern. Love them! Revolting Cocks (RevCo) are still around.

by Anonymousreply 5501/20/2011

There was more overlap between best-selling records and weirdo stuff back then, both in club culture and in peoples' collections.

Music overall is less significant today. It is background wallpaper on someone's iPod, whatever. I work with a really young, plugged-in woman. She has 10,000 songs on her computer and admits she doesn't know who the artists are and will never listen to them all. Doesn't care.

by Anonymousreply 5601/20/2011

R15... hey thanks for that link!

by Anonymousreply 5701/20/2011

But, R56, there still are plenty of people who are passionate about music. Those are the people who know all the fringe/weird bands.

by Anonymousreply 5801/20/2011

R56 is right. Also, I think the reason why "weird" stuff filtered much more in the mainstream back then is that the world was a very different place. It was the era of Thatcher and Reagan, cold war, people were genuinely scared nuclear war, the gap between the working and the middle class in England was much wider, there was a lot of general discontentment and anger in popular culture, then AIDS came along, etc. These days music is not supposed to carry a particular political or social message, it's just sonic wallpaper, or what you get drunk to in a club.

by Anonymousreply 5901/20/2011

[quote]that fucking rapper with the fake nose

Michael Jackson?

by Anonymousreply 6001/20/2011

I loved Grace Slick in The Jefferson Airplane. Plus, I was madly in love with Janis Joplin (Don't ask me why as I am an out gay man who was out in the 70's).

by Anonymousreply 6101/20/2011

R60 I think R4 was talking about the rapper who sang "The Humpty Dance." I'd google it but I'm just too damn lazy. I actually saw them in concert! I can't remember if he wore his nose that night.

by Anonymousreply 6201/20/2011

I came here to say what R35 said. You're just not looking. If anything, there's too much to get around to. The weirdos are everywhere (except TV and the radio, unless you live near WFMU or an interesting college station).

Also: Einsturzende Neubaten fans, there is so much new music for you these days! Svarte Greiner, Grasshopper, the continuing adventures of Merzbow, I don't know what all else. This blog (named after the Throbbing Gristle song) can be useful sometimes:

by Anonymousreply 6301/20/2011

And what could be weirder than Gucci Mane's new facial tattoo of an ice cream cone with lightning bolts shooting out of it?

by Anonymousreply 6401/20/2011

R49, exactly what charts are you referring to where Kate Bush is concerned? The US charts? Fair enough, but she's had several UK top 40 hits, including 'Sat in Your Lap' from "The Dreaming."

by Anonymousreply 6501/20/2011

Yes, OP. A thousand times, 'Yes!'

by Anonymousreply 6601/20/2011

Sadly, Gary Numan's no longer weird.

Kraftwerk is, though.

by Anonymousreply 6701/20/2011

Check out a British magazine called The Wire (nothing to do with the TV show). It%E2%80%99s all about weird avant-garde music -- gamelan-grunge orchestras, Norwegian thrash, Library Music, the club sounds of Kuala Lumpur and so on. Really arcane stuff.

by Anonymousreply 6801/20/2011

Lykke Li is weird? Interesting.

R59-I agree, even a pop band like Frankie Goes to Hollywood was controversial because of their political statement in the "Two Tribes" video.

by Anonymousreply 6901/20/2011

What is that style in R11? Singing but not quite? Nasty. Too bad, because the song is not bad.

by Anonymousreply 7001/20/2011

"that fucking rapper with the fake nose"

That was Humpty-Hump.

"Hump was an aspiring R&B singer who was working in a fast food restaurant one day when a pipe burst behind him, forcing his face into a pan of frying oil.

This painful-sounding accident disfigured Humpty-Hump%E2%80%99s nose and damaged his vocal cords, so he had to give up singing, become a rapper and wear the fake nose to cover what really happened. This was before it was widely known that Shock-G and Humpty-Hump were one and the same!"

by Anonymousreply 7101/20/2011

R65, I'm definitely referring only to US top 40.%0D %0D I give the UK a whole lot more credit for having avant-garde music in their mainstream.

by Anonymousreply 7201/20/2011

[quote]I do miss the breadth of artists that fit in the mainstream in the 70s and 80s. Rose colored glasses on you.

[quote]The artists listed in this thread had ZERO to ALMOST ZERO hits played on the radio, or in the Top 40.

That's not what I was talking about. All I said was radio in the 70s and 80s was broader. You could hear anything from The Bee Gees to Judas Priest, Grace Jones to Debbie Gibson, Poison to Anthrax, and everything in between. Today you either get autotuned popettes, autotuned hiphop, or autotuned "alt rock." Very little off that formula filters into the mainstream.

I hear plenty of weird music these days, and am always chasing new bands. All I said was they don't surface in the pop waters the way SOME did back in the 70s/80s.

by Anonymousreply 7301/20/2011

Loved Humpty!

by Anonymousreply 7401/20/2011

Devo owns this thread!

by Anonymousreply 7501/20/2011

"I loved Grace Slick in The Jefferson Airplane. Plus, I was madly in love with Janis Joplin (Don't ask me why as I am an out gay man who was out in the 70's)."

Perhaps you loved Janis so much because she was REAL? No fake hair, fake fingernails, sure she had a busted face which she could give two shits about. She was all about her music.

She was also deeply depressed and couldn't find real love. She had a really hot boyfriend at one point, but figured he was only around because of her fame and money.

Janis lived her version of the Blues, she was amazing and most of all, she was real. Not many knew how intelligent she was, she presented herself as a wild alcohol and drug addled rocker.

I always wonder what Hendrix and Joplin would make of today's music auto-tuned pop shit and rap filled music scene. It's more about artifice and a gimmick today.

At least years ago, if a musician had a gimmick, they backed it up with talent. Little Richard, The Beatles, the Motown groups, Hendrix, Joplin etc.....sure they all had an image, but they backed it up with talent.

by Anonymousreply 7601/20/2011

Those post-apocolypse movies from the mid-eighties made me follow David Byrne past Talking Heads into a world-beat type album 'Rio Momo' which is the most pleasant direction I've ever try.

Peter Gabriel caught me with a few hooks, but it was his world music that floored me. I started sending family members to his mega concerts.

Robyn Hitchcock has been producing oddities all along. I just snagged a few of his newer releases for my brother.

by Anonymousreply 7701/20/2011

I actually loved the band Robyn Hitchcock wrote "Listening to The Higsons" about.

The Higsons were a great band, funky and fun.

by Anonymousreply 7801/20/2011

Don't forget Pere Ubu's "The Modern Dance."

by Anonymousreply 7901/20/2011

Sugarcubes was weird and made great music.

by Anonymousreply 8001/20/2011

Van der Graaf Generator and Peter Hammill solo, as weird as you can get.

by Anonymousreply 8101/20/2011

So, the real conclusion is that music is still plenty weird, but the weird stuff isn't seeping into the mainstream like it did before.

There's also a distinction between "weird" music and "weird" personalities and presentation. People rightfully cited Culture Club as "weird". Could we see a multiracial band fronted by a gay guy who is in semi-drag gaining such a strong foothold in the mainstream today? Would a record company take the risk?

But, even though Culture Club was "weird" in terms of their presentation and their personalities, the music really wasn't weird at all. It was fantastic and at times unique, but not "weird." Pop, dance, R&B, nothing really out of left field.

by Anonymousreply 8201/20/2011

I think there's a difference between substantial but kind of weird, and weird for its own sake, ie 'weird' as a marketing term. We definitely still have the latter. Gaga and scissor sisters come to mind.

by Anonymousreply 8301/20/2011

When I think of "weird" I think of stuff like Dead Can Dance, This Mortal Coil, Nitzer Eb, etc.

by Anonymousreply 8401/20/2011

The Slits were out there. Chrissie Hynde was pretty weird in the beginning too. Kate Garner from Hayzi was weird and beautiful. Pauline Black from The Selector, Annabella from Bow Wow Wow, Sandi from Sandi and the Sunsetz and of course the amazing Poly Styrene. I feel nostalgic now. I want my youth back!

by Anonymousreply 8501/20/2011

I'd forgotten about Haysi--love this one:

by Anonymousreply 8601/20/2011

Bow Wow Wow:

by Anonymousreply 8701/20/2011

Did you also walk 5 miles uphill each way to and from school each day, grandpa?

There's lots of weird/crazy/strange/iconoclastic/unique performers nowadays: Bjork, The Knife / Fever Ray, PJ Harvey, Mike Patton, Matmos, Devendra Banhart, Joanna Newsom, The Fiery Furnaces, Fiona Apple, Deerhoof, Mu, Gogol Bordello, Final Fantasy, Of Montreal, Major Lazer, Aphex Twin.

Just because you're less connected to the music scene than you used to be doesn't mean that it got more lame.

Take for example Mu's "Paris Hilton", I've attached the video...

by Anonymousreply 8801/20/2011

Also, the problem that you're observing is very much tied to how music is promoted in the US. Whereas in the UK the music press is always grabbing onto the "next big thing" pulled from the internet, etc, and different artists like the XX and Gossip are successful (Gossip way more than they are in the US), in the US mainstream taste has gotten much more narrow and boring, accompanied by a major reduction in album sales. As people buy less music, the major labels chop off anything strange and are left with the middle of the road music possible (witness the american ascent of Taylor Swift).

by Anonymousreply 8901/20/2011

The modern classic Windowlicker by Aphex Twin

by Anonymousreply 9001/20/2011

Since OP cited "especially the female artists", let's not forget the fantastic Poly Styrene of X-Ray Spex. Link to 1977 footage of their biggest hit - Oh Bondage, Up Yours!

There's been plenty of raw/weird music since then, but I think people are forgetting the exuberant joy of those early DIY punk years, particularly as antidote to the overblown production of the 70s mega-rock bands and disco. It was a blast, kids.

by Anonymousreply 9101/20/2011

A few other female artists that deserve a mention:

Jarboe (Swans). Danielle Dax. Joolz (UK poet - worked with New Model Army). Carole Pope (Canada - Rough Trade). Cosey Fanni Tutti (Throbbing Gristle, Chris and Cosey). Rose McDowall (Current 93, Boyd Rice). Lisa Dalbello (another Canadian).

by Anonymousreply 9201/20/2011

Some of that stuff (e.g., Siouxsie) sounds pretty terrible today. Grace Jones is just dreadful--a stunt act. The Sex Pistols still sound pretty good and give you an idea of the era, even if their music is a bit repetitive on repeat listenings.

by Anonymousreply 9301/20/2011

Does anyone remember that odd/arty New Wave band Suburban Lawns? They had an extremely weird lead singer named Su Tissue....They had a single called "Gidget Goes To Hell" Aww...Good Times...

by Anonymousreply 9401/20/2011

Haha, R92 - I forgot about Cosey Fanni Tutti and Throbbing Gristle.

And let's also not forget the early Cramps, with the incomparable Lux Interior and, of course, Poison Ivy (Rorschach) on bass. Perhaps the most memorable concert of my decadent youth was a Haloween special the Cramps did at Irving Plaza in the late 70's. It started at 5pm and no alcohol was sold, so the under-age kids could attend. All the coolest high schoolers in NY were happy as pigs in shit that day. I think Lux literally climbed the curtains up to the balcony.

Link to 1980 version of Human Fly, one of the funniest songs ever recorded.

by Anonymousreply 9501/20/2011

Oops, wrong link at R95. Here's the right one (Cramps - Human Fly)

by Anonymousreply 9601/20/2011

I saw the Cramps perform around 1978 at my college. They probably weren't very good, but they were so edgy compared to the usual uber-bland county rock (Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, etc.) that dominated the radio that they SEEMED brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 9701/20/2011

Klaus Nomi's excellent remake of Leslie Gore's hit,"You Don't Own Me".

RIP Klaus...

by Anonymousreply 9801/20/2011

[quote]Does anyone remember that odd/arty New Wave band Suburban Lawns? They had an extremely weird lead singer named Su Tissue....They had a single called "Gidget Goes To Hell"

The FABULOUS Su Tissue. She even weirded out the punks.

In 1980, the look was all Chrissie Hynde and Debbie Harry. Su looked like some nerd-scientist friend of Jan Brady. Her usual uniform was a long-sleeved white blouse and a knee-length tweed skirt. Totally without affect or expression when she performed.

This song actually got airplay on L.A. radio back in the day, hence the appearance on "New Wave Theater" (the New Wave version of "Bandstand"). Can you imagine this on commercial TV today?

by Anonymousreply 9901/21/2011

Chris & Cosey are reissuing a number of their albums from the early 80s this year. Seminal stuff for those into early electronic music.

by Anonymousreply 10001/21/2011

I love "Oh, Bondage Up Yours!" Thanks for posting.

by Anonymousreply 10101/21/2011

hey, R88, you wrote:%0D %0D "Just because you're less connected to the music scene than you used to be doesn't mean that it got more lame."%0D %0D About half of the people you listed have been around since at least the late 80s. Few are actually "weird," just a tad eccentric.%0D %0D %0D Also, "more lame?"%0D Oh dear.%0D Guess they don't teach grammar these days either. "LAMER," you pathetic little turd.%0D

by Anonymousreply 10201/21/2011

I agree with 102. A lot of those acts have been around a long time and are pretty mainstream. Aphex Twin is used in commercials all the time.

by Anonymousreply 10301/21/2011

Le Bump

by Anonymousreply 10401/21/2011

I think there's plenty of eclectic music still being made today. You ave to dig a little deeper for it, but it's there and rewarding enough when you find it.

Also, Joanna Newsom is divine.

by Anonymousreply 10501/21/2011

Thanks for the insightful newsflash, r105

by Anonymousreply 10601/21/2011

Lots of great old (and new) examples of what might be labeled as weird. A couple more classics to add. Devo was/is considered pretty strange, especially their cover songs like Coalmine and Satisfaction. The Residents were about as bizarre as anything.

by Anonymousreply 10701/21/2011

Suburban Lawns actually had a couple of toes in the mainstream, hard as it is to imagine today. They were the musical guests on SNL (when SNL booked adventurous bands), and Jonathan Demme even directed their first video.

by Anonymousreply 10801/21/2011

Luckily we still have PJ Harvey.

Her new video (at link) is fantastic: The Words That Maketh Murder.

All of us living in this new world of perpetual war need to watch this.

by Anonymousreply 10901/21/2011

Kate Garner from Hayzi is now a photographer.

by Anonymousreply 11001/21/2011

R88, WTF are you talking about? Bjork and PJ Harvey are hardly new performers. Or perhaps you just discovered them?

Bjork was actually putting out LPs as a kid in Iceland before she formed the Sugarcubes and PJ Harvey was the Melody Maker's and NME's cover darling every other week in the early 1990s!

They are hardly new performers. They're innovative and 'weird,' but hardly new!

by Anonymousreply 11101/21/2011

Are they new, R111?%0D %0D Hardly!

by Anonymousreply 11201/21/2011

R112, R88, presented them as new, READ and COMPREHEND!

by Anonymousreply 11301/21/2011

I like Polly, but I find the new album a bit to insular for me. I can't relate to an album which seems to be about English Politics.

There are a few very cool artists out there, Larkin Grimm utterly weird and beautiful, you'll find some mp3s from her albums, but try and get Harpoon Baptism from her first album Harpoon.

Not weird but truly wonderful is Rumer, a 31 year old London artist who has one of the best voices since Chan Marshall.

A few others,

Shannon Wright (Secret Blood was may fav album of last year)

Anna Calvi

The Dead Weather

Clothesline Revival

The Places

Nina Nastasia

Cocoroise

Nanang Tatang

Villagers

Japonize Elephants

Breathe Owl Breathe

The Black Heart Procession

Metallic Falcons

Titus Andronicus

by Anonymousreply 11401/21/2011

[quote][R112], [R88], presented them as new, READ and COMPREHEND!%0D %0D Darling, I'm poking fun at you and your repeated use of the phrase "hardly new!"%0D %0D Do try to keep up.

by Anonymousreply 11501/21/2011

Rumer - Slow. Her voice is truly amazing. Not weird but amazing.

by Anonymousreply 11601/21/2011

The Luyas - Tiny Head

by Anonymousreply 11701/21/2011

Y'all failed reading comprehension. Nowhere did I say they were "new" I just said that they were performing "nowadays".

And no, 102, half have NOT been around since the late 80s

The ONLY artists I listed who were performing in the 80s are Mike Patton and Bjork (who was recording juvenalia or in the Sugarcubes at the time)

Ignorant prick.

by Anonymousreply 11801/21/2011

Re: r103: I thought we were talking about "weird" artists here. Weird doesn't necessarily imply not known to the mainstream. I would still qualify Aphex Twin as "weird". Projecting videos at your concerts where you superimpose your distorted face on audience members, having entire concerts featuring dancing bears, buying vintage tanks, etc., counts as weird to me. 90% of the public would not recognize one of his tunes if they heard it anyway.

by Anonymousreply 11901/21/2011

I want Devendra Banhart (sporting the shorter hair) to blow his man chowder all over my face! There, I said it.

by Anonymousreply 12001/21/2011

Here's Devendra's man on man kiss, very tame and just some fun, but the guy is pretty cool.

by Anonymousreply 12101/22/2011

Kiss by Scout Niblett , one of the best songs in years.

by Anonymousreply 12201/22/2011

Y Pants.

Delta 5.

The The.

I'll think of some more.

by Anonymousreply 12301/22/2011

Villagers, Becoming A Jackal. This song kinda reminds me of a Simon & Garfunkel songs. Pretty cool.

by Anonymousreply 12401/22/2011

Why do these threads always turn into pissing contests?

When someone points out that performers such as Throbbing Gristle, PJ Harvey and Bjork etc are not new to the music scene, some asshole comes in to argue the point. Google is your friend, kids.

by Anonymousreply 12501/22/2011

Sting's daughter Coco Sumner, has a great voice, I'm not sure about her choice of music, such as a dance song with Robyn and too many generic dance beats in general, but she's still young and will hopefully start writing better songs. Great voice though and very cool androgynous image.

by Anonymousreply 12601/22/2011

What about Nachtmahr, Combichrist, Coil (until a few years ago)

by Anonymousreply 12701/22/2011

R125, because music is very personal. People take their muses seriously.

by Anonymousreply 12801/22/2011

I NEVER SAID THEY WERE NEW, I SAID THAT THEY ARE PERFORMING NOW

bah!

by Anonymousreply 12901/22/2011

"NEVER SAID THEY WERE NEW, I SAID THAT THEY ARE PERFORMING NOW bah!"

SHUT UP ALREADY!

Bottom line: people should listen to whatever they want to listen to, they shouldn't listen to something because it's hip, cool, weird, popular, whatever.

I was discussing this the other evening with my sister and her husband. My sister was teasing him bout what an eclectic stack of LPs he had on their coffee table. The music ran the gamut from Carla Bley, The Beatles, Bob Mould, Taj Mahal, The Cure, John Coltrane, The Yardbirds, Richard Thompson, John Cale, Kevin Ayers, Tony Bennett, Los Lobos and The Dead Weather.

There was no rhyme or reason for this LP selection, the music certainly didn't flow, but he loves listening to everything and that's really all that matters to him!

by Anonymousreply 13001/22/2011

don't know who y'all are but thank you so much for your kind words about Hugo Largo (and about me). Please check out a Largo-esque music project I did a few years ago -- Hi Fi Sky -- you can find it on iTunes! And feel free to Facebook me...Tim Sommer

by Anonymousreply 13101/24/2011

I think this a great post! I sampled most of the artists and love Diamanda Galas. (What a great drag queen name, right?)%0D %0D One thing I noticed was that the artists suggested were from a wide time range. There wasn't a single time I could point to and say,"There was a movement of wierd music during this period." It seemed to me that music styles were more fluid with some shining examples of wierdness-but not an overall movement.

by Anonymousreply 13201/28/2011

Tim Sommer is posting HERE?

How are you doing? Loved you MTV hosting and IIRC, you wrote for Trouser Press for awhile?

by Anonymousreply 13301/31/2011

This is pretty weird

by Anonymousreply 13401/31/2011

felt like bumping this old thread for a few suggestions. ive never posted a link on dl before, so forgive me if i screw this up.%0D %0D frog eyes, song bushels.%0D

by Anonymousreply 13505/28/2011

i know someone up thread gave them a quick mention, but they deserve an active link because they're absolutely genius.%0D %0D CocoRosie, song Werewolf.

by Anonymousreply 13605/29/2011

now this band isn't exactly new (they disbanded in 2001) but they were very experimental and cool. the song im posting is a mellow one from their first album "Viva La Woman" %0D %0D i could've posted a crazier track but this one is just so good and holds up so well, it should be heard. this was their only semi hit.%0D %0D Cibo Matto, song Sugar Water.

by Anonymousreply 13705/29/2011

I write songs...exactly what kind of "weird" elements/vibes do you like in songs?

by Anonymousreply 13805/29/2011

BRIAN JONESTOWN MASSACRE

by Anonymousreply 13905/29/2011

Only mean lesbians and asshole hipsters listen to Coco Rosie. %0D %0D Seriously, they are the worst fucking shit ever.

by Anonymousreply 14005/29/2011

Carla Bley and Annette Peacock are 'out there', though they'd hardly be considered rock musicians.

Both women have hired rock musicians to play their compositions, Carla worked with Jack Bruce and Linda Ronstandt on her 1970s three LP masterpiece "Escalator Over the Hill".

Annette Peacock was signed to Bowie's Mainman production company and RCA Records in the early 1970s, but that never worked out. Mainman tried to mold Peacock into a sort of female Bowie, but she had her own ideas.

Peacock has also performed with former Yes drummer Bill Bruford's band.

Neither women are young, Carla must be in her 70s now and Annette Peacock, in her 60s. Both have influenced many rockers and are still producing music. Peacock looks amazing, I guess there was some plastic surgery.

Looks wise, they were both attractive and unique looking women, had they pursued rock or more accessible areas of music, they might have made it because of their attractiveness. Their music has been categorized as jazz or avant- garde (free) jazz.

Their are tons of excellent musicians who are under the radar, that's why I get so annoyed when people complain about the auto tuned hyped up cookie cutter crap that's out today. There's no law written in stone, stating that you must listen to currently produced music.

As a kid, I actually explored my parents record collection, which was filled with jazz, pop, Motown, big band and even The Beatles and Hendrix.

There is a world of music out there, it doesn't necessarily have to be current or popular.

by Anonymousreply 14105/29/2011

hey R140 just because something is too out there for you doesn't mean it's bad. i know cocorosie isn't everyones cup of tea, some people just can't get over bianca's singing style. but their rap/opera sound clash is very inventive and unique. i can't think of another artist who sounds like them. and if you can, please share. id love to hear it.%0D %0D i knew someone would cry hipster when i mentioned them. yes, some hipster's do like them, but that doesn't mean they can't be good. sheesh

by Anonymousreply 14205/29/2011

Julie Driscoll with Brian Auger Trinity - This Wheel's On Fire

The Shaggs - My Pal Foot Foot

Eyeless in Gaza - Throw a Veil

Karen Finley - Tales of Taboo

Laurie Anderson (anything)

Yoko Ono (anything)

Tiny Tim (anything)

Vashti Bunyan - Train Song

Siouxsie and the Banshees (Check out their album of b-sides, very strange music indeed)

Nina Hagen (anything)

Klaus Nomi (anything)

Diamanda Galas (anything)

Marianne Faithfull (Later recordings)

The Superions - Totally Nude Island

Talking Heads (album tracks)

I have a very long list of songs, try these out first and if you would like more, email me @ tony.r.vario@gmail.com.

by Anonymousreply 14303/20/2013

Hey R143, DL is NOT the place to post your email address.

by Anonymousreply 14403/21/2013

[quote]BRIAN JONESTOWN MASSACRE

Good, yes. Weird, no. Well, the lead singer was sort of weird, but their music wasn't weird at all.

by Anonymousreply 14503/21/2013

>>Peter Gabriel caught me with a few hooks, but it was his world music that floored me. I started sending family members to his mega concerts.

Me, too. His, 'Melt' LP was beyond brilliant, as well. LOVE him.

by Anonymousreply 14603/21/2013

I am a huge music lover BUT I am finding it near impossible to find any decent current music. I've been having a hard time the past 5 years and it gets worse each year. Everything sounds so plain and similar and I am FED UP with the AutoTune overload on every song. It's just sad.

by Anonymousreply 14704/20/2014

wrt thread title: The best music is always weird.

R147 , the issue is that the music that is selected in any mainstream channel is not always the best selection, so one has to look beyound these offers.

There's actually lots of great music out there; YouTube, Soundcloud and other like services are full of awesome artists.

Because I can only add like one URL, I'll be adding YouTube video IDs (underscores and dashes count, parentheses and commas don't).

Short list of great and awesome musicians state by state. These are some of the best, and the best are usually the few, too.

Texas: Pentatonix — Channel on YouTube, millions of views. Vast (try anything).

Iceland: Ólafur Arnalds (mostly anything, live NPR concerts on YouTube); Arnalds has Arnór Dan sing in his music. Jóhanna Guðrún Jónsdóttir (aka Yohanna) — she's mostly a pop singstress.

Norway: Nightcore (pick and choose).

Finland: Eva & Manu — ttcO8q7OVJ4

Estonia, anything category: Tenfold Rabbit: -2Lgt3xeTsA and _xTkasbbAVo . Frankie Animal: _s2_vjdH7yM . Iiris: MDulSkBuJOo . Leslie da Bass. Hu? [sic]. 3Pead: uoXpGpInSRc , sZcXlrK7pPY and url below. No Big Silence. Imandra Lake. Mari Pokinen, a pure voice and a guitar. Outloudz. Tiiu Kiik: kSLSNsJ8FB0 , kSLSNsJ8FB0 . Kirtana Rasa: JZk4Y0Me9CQ .

Estonia, pick and choose category — Tanel Padar — pop-rock, like this: YAs-vX_iRzA . Chalice: mSeuP56rMOc and recent fare. Orelipoiss: GWF-Ze4nYkE . Sõpruse Puiestee: 1ioVM0W_ips

Latvia. Instrumenti (anything). YouTube channel itnemurtsni. This: s2vZpD2OlRE ; This: rdnr4GlxhnE , studio variant: SbyZ1gNLQ7I

Lithuania: Happyendless: D43yaAcxzZQ . Jurga: G-MEN794J-k — video filmed in 2007 Afghanistan, of all places. Mario Basanov: pka3c67_MF4 .

Czech Rrepublic, now shared with Iceland: Markéta Irglová ("Falling Slowly", Once).

Ireland: Glen Hansard.

Canada: Front Line Assembly (anything). Sarah McLachlan (anything). Alanis Morissette (anything). Leonard J. Paul (The Corporation soundtrack).

Pop singers/songwriters (some great, some less): Bryan Adams, Avril Lavigne, and yes, Justin Bieber, too (depends on taste, ofcourse).

UK: Rudimental (anything), London Grammar (anything), Tim Booth (spans decades), John Newman, Passenger. Fink (anything). Above and Beyond (whatever you like)

Scotland: Greg Holden (Bmnbom5Hcrs)

France: Mirwais — half-Swiss, half-Afghani, btw (not anything, but if you like a track, it's always awesome weird). Air.

Australia: Cut Copy — especially if you like 1980's and 1990's beats. r2xovJyBo-0 (spoiler: ends with two women kissing.)

USA: Trent Reznor/Nine Inch Nails. Rob Zombie (superweird). Dredg. Late Joel Goldsmith — the whole score of Stargate Universe. Most SGU montages had other awesome artists. Someone mentioned Grace Jones upthread. Peter Golub ("Countdown to Zero" documentary soundtrack). Bon Iver. The Killers. HAERTS.

Germany: Herbert Grönemeyer (anything), Thomas D (especially Liebesbrief).

South Africa: Die Antwoord (if you like the weird). Civil Twilight (anything).

Africa has the late Fela Kuti.

China: Frances Yip — "Green Is The Mountain", from The Man With the Iron Fists OST.

Japan: Shigeru Umebayashi (The House of Flying Daggers original soundtrack).

URL below: Beautiful song by 3Pead (not on YouTube).

So much for now, because my timing is rather tight at this moment.

by Anonymousreply 14804/20/2014

R143 , it's easier to create a fake YouTube account and then put all that music into a playlist and publish the playlist here, with a disclaimer, that it's a fake YouTube account.

by Anonymousreply 14904/20/2014
Need more help? Click Here.