Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I can''t believe Susan Sarandon is doing housewife-in-kitchen milk commercials

It can't be because she feels that passionate about milk (like, say, the way Jamie Lee swears by Activia). It certainly wasn't because the material was brilliant (Ellen - Cover Girl/Amex), could be used as a disguised audition (Gwyneth), gives her percentage points (Liz Taylor) or has high glamour quotient (Latifah, Halle, Drew). And - when it comes to bad material - how much money is an offer you can't refuse? Many stars did the "Got Milk?" campaign but that was a pretty smart, kind of artful campaign.%0D %0D And she's not some out-of-work sitcom actress twirling around a tub of fake butter. %0D %0D It's Susan Fucking Sarandon, once A-list movie star, Academy Award winner, and perennial cult legend.%0D %0D It's sad, and I don't mean that in a snide way. There are just certain people that shouldn't have to peddle products with a C-script. If things are bad (and they are, even for the rich and famous), I think I'd rather she sold some of her property or did voiceovers. %0D %0D But hey, I'm sitting home unemployed, avoiding some options because either I'm lazy or they are not convenient for my 50-year-old ass and what's left of its professional life, so who am I to judge, I guess.%0D %0D What do you think? Any other stars who shouldn't have gone by way of humdrum advertising?

by Anonymousreply 2102/03/2013

Milk that Titty!

by Anonymousreply 101/19/2011

She's probably making $2 Million off of that commercial.%0D %0D %0D %0D Years ago some local DJ in Atlanta discussed how much no name people make in advertisements and marketing campaigns. He had a few parts in some B movies when he was in his early 20's and kind of knows the system. He said he walked into an Eckerd Drugs (now Rite Aid/Duane Reade) and he saw a big ad sign and some guy he used to go to high school with was in it. Evidently the guy was a big stoner and had a bunch of tattoos on his upper arms. In the ad he was wearing a pharmacy technician jacket (covering the tats) and looked clean cut. He said that since the ad campaign was nationwide, the guy was probably making $1 Million.

by Anonymousreply 201/19/2011

Hey, OP? I have a mortgage and kids.

by Anonymousreply 301/19/2011

$1million off a print ad, for an unknown model? %0D %0D No.%0D %0D Not even in a filmed ad.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 401/19/2011

She should only do commercials in japan.

by Anonymousreply 501/19/2011

She should head a Japanese tourism campaign with Wooly Mammoths as the big selling point.

by Anonymousreply 601/19/2011

She seems drunk.

by Anonymousreply 701/19/2011

I actually thought the same, r7! (well, I thought high on pot, close enough)

by Anonymousreply 801/19/2011

My partner works for a major ad agency and I can assure you that no non-celebrity would make a million off a TV commercial, let alone a print ad. Probably not even 100K unless the commercial runs for a longer period of time.

by Anonymousreply 901/19/2011

In 2000, she was a co-chair the national steering committee for the campaign of Ralph Nader, whose candidacy helped Bush to win Florida. I can't stand her and I hope housewife-in-kitchen milk commercials are her fate.

by Anonymousreply 1001/19/2011

R2, Susan Sarandon would've been lucky to get $2M for Thelma and Louise, let alone a milk commercial.%0D %0D Maybe that answers OP's question as well.

by Anonymousreply 1101/19/2011

Nader didn't help Bush win Florida.

by Anonymousreply 1201/19/2011

"could be used as a disguised audition (Gwyneth)"%0D %0D What was Gwyneth's television commercial?

by Anonymousreply 1301/19/2011

R12, if reasonable people hadn't wasted their votes on Nader, it wouldn't have gone to the Supreme Court in the first place. Bush won Florida by 537 votes. Nader got 97,488 votes in Florida. Housewife-in-kitchen milk commercials are too good for Susan Sarandon.

by Anonymousreply 1401/19/2011

Sorry r13, in the case of Gwyneth I was more illustrating how some stars may take a gig considered "unnecessary" or "beneath them" just to show a lesser known side of their craft or try to be noticed in a different genre - or out and out going for a movie part (for instance, Brooke Shields small stint in "Friends" was the beginning of her comedic career).%0D %0D I did leave out another circumstance - when they do the same as a favor to a spouse, child or friend (Michelle Pfiffer, Julia Roberts, Julia Louis Dreyfus, JLo, and the shitload of actors that have done children's movies to please their spawn). This one would make a good thread ("Reverse Nepotism") Again, certainly not the case with SS.

by Anonymousreply 1501/19/2011

If she hadn't done the commercial and taken the money someone else would have. She probably figured, Why not me? Hey, it's a lot of cash for not a lot of work. And she needs to start thinking about buying all of her kids, three of them, their own apartments in NYC. And she can't be making a whole lot of money from acting. She's basically an indie actress now.

by Anonymousreply 1601/19/2011

Sorry if this really isn't the right thread for this, but I just saw WHITE PALACE for the first time last night and I was really impressed with her performance in it and her overall lack of vanity and commitment to her part. The whole tone and style of the movie was sort of fun, too - I loved all the late-80s fashions/look and it was amusing to see Val and Fran's mom from THE NANNY both in the same film. James Spader probably looked the best he ever did (was he on coke? He was so skinny and seemed very wired) and the sex scenes were very hot, even if they did tend to be overdone (the reaction shots during the first scene are LOL-worthy). I enjoyed it.

Also, it was nice to see a pre-MISERY Kathy Bates in a small role and Eileen Brennan was strangely endearing in her two weird scenes.

I think my favorite part was the Thanksgiving party near the end at the big mansion. I loved the bitchy exchange in the bathroom.

Ted Talley (SILENCE OF THE LAMBS) wrote the screenplay and it was definitely well-structured and smart. It could be a play.

Was this a big film at the time, amongst adults at least? What did you think then/now? DL eldergays, now is the time to chime in!

by Anonymousreply 1702/03/2013

[quote] famous), I think I'd rather she sold some of her property or did voiceovers.

She does do voiceovers. I constantly hear her voice on commercials and narrating documentaries. Commercials pays big.

My partner has a friend from high school who was doing a morning drive time radio show in a second tier market and he was making over $300k. He no longer does, since Clear Channel bought up stations and got rid of on-air talent. But he did for almost 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 1802/03/2013

No, R17, no one saw WHITE PALACE. Yes, she's pretty good in it, but it was kind of a dud in 1990 and mostly forgotten now.

I'm not at all surprised at Sarandon doing ads. She was a Revlon spokesperson a few years back (in her wig) and it's no secret that a lot of her most recent films (CLOUD ATLAS, hello?) have been disappointing. She doesn't hide her bitterness that any good big screen roles are going to Meryl or even Helen Mirren.

I enjoy her as an actress but I find many of her life choices baffling: investing in that ping-pong parlor (the non-starter trend of the decade), the weird political allegiances, etc.

by Anonymousreply 1902/03/2013

Hey, why don't you try paying palimony to that leech Tim Robbins on my income!

by Anonymousreply 2002/03/2013

I love White Palace. Of course, James Spader looked like a hot lesbian in it.

by Anonymousreply 2102/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.