Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

BREAKING: Taylor Swift Sets Record Low For Album Sales!\\n\\nRead more: http://jezebel.com/5736523/taylor-swift-sets-record-low-

Though Taylor Swift's Speak Now topped the Billboard 200 for the sixth consecutive week, it sold only 52,000 copies, making it the lowest-selling number one album in SoundScan's history.

by Anonymousreply 4812/04/2012

It's not her fault the music industry's collapsing.

by Anonymousreply 101/18/2011

Does that include iTunes sales?

by Anonymousreply 201/18/2011

No, r2.%0D %0D %0D %0D Itunes sales are actually going up - it's album sales that are going down.%0D %0D %0D %0D Taylor Swift's album has already sold 3 million copies, so she has nothing to worry about.

by Anonymousreply 301/18/2011

If purchased downloads don't count, the number is meaningless. CDs are dying generally.

by Anonymousreply 401/18/2011

OP = Kanye West.

by Anonymousreply 501/18/2011

Dumb bitch can't even sing her shitty songs.

by Anonymousreply 601/18/2011

Oh, Tay Tay, it's not your fault. Bearding with Jake just doesn't have the prestige it once did.

by Anonymousreply 701/18/2011

What's a CD?

by Anonymousreply 801/18/2011

R8, a CD is a cross dresser, duh.

by Anonymousreply 901/18/2011

The Billboard album chart includes iTunes sales, r2.

by Anonymousreply 1001/18/2011

"If purchased downloads don't count, the number is meaningless. CDs are dying generally"%0D %0D %0D %0D %0D Downloaded albums count toward an album's total sales. They have separate charts for downloaded singles.%0D %0D %0D Saying no one under 50 knows what a CD is doesn't really make sense. Who do you think is buying those Justin Bieber, Eminem, Lady Gaga, and Beyonce CDs? The elderly? CD sales are down but they haven't evaporated entirely - most people just prefer to buy singles instead of albums now. Which is nothing new. In the fifties and sixties single sales were much higher than albums sales. It wasn't until the late sixties/early seventies that albums really took off.

by Anonymousreply 1101/18/2011

This is a really misleading headline and I'm not even a Taylor Swift fan. The album is in it's 6th week. If it had debuted with those numbers, that would be a huge flop.

by Anonymousreply 1201/18/2011

"The album is in it's 6th week"%0D %0D %0D %0D It's been out for more than 6 weeks. This is its 6th week at #1. It spent several weeks at #2, behind Susan Boyle's Christmas album.

by Anonymousreply 1301/18/2011

So is that why she agreed to beard for Jake G.? Guess her core fans graduated high school. Instead of attempting to beard for Jake (and failing) to try and win older fans, she should work on herself. She comes off like she's 16 years old.

by Anonymousreply 1401/18/2011

The key think here is that she sold 1 million copies her first week out. That's pretty unheard of these days. Unfortunately, lots of people like her shitty music.

by Anonymousreply 1501/18/2011

Taylor doesn't even hold this record anymore. Cake now has the lowest-selling #1 album.

by Anonymousreply 1601/19/2011

Crap music marketed to WHITE teenage girls using her blog.

That is the Taylor Swift story.

by Anonymousreply 1712/04/2012

We still can't say Taylor's collapse is complete. Or that it's even started yet.

by Anonymousreply 1812/04/2012

[quote]It's not her fault the music industry's collapsing.

The music industry is already collapsing, too many no-talents trying to pass as musical stars.

by Anonymousreply 1912/04/2012

[quote]So is that why she agreed to beard for Jake G.? Guess her core fans graduated high school. Instead of attempting to beard for Jake (and failing) to try and win older fans, she should work on herself. She comes off like she's 16 years old.

No, because Taylor agreed to beard for Harry of One Direction.

by Anonymousreply 2012/04/2012

Rap really ruined the biz.

by Anonymousreply 2112/04/2012

[quote]Rap really ruined the biz

Amen to that!

by Anonymousreply 2212/04/2012

Oh goodie, lets celebrate her downfall. Who else can we tear down today? Anne Hatheway perhaps, let's get that bitch.

by Anonymousreply 2312/04/2012

Justin Bieber is next!

by Anonymousreply 2412/04/2012

At least Madonna represented something, female empowerment through sexuality. This Swift twat is just a Hayley Mills for our times.

by Anonymousreply 2512/04/2012

Justin Bieber has done more damage to the credibility of the music industry than any other single person before him. He has turned music into the teengirl store.

Adults have left as popular music purchasers, because of Justin Bieber.

Taylor Swift also helped, but she is from Country Music and Country Music was Republican crap central before she ever started, so........anything that implodes/discredits Country Music is good by me.

by Anonymousreply 2612/04/2012

[quote]Justin Bieber has done more damage to the credibility of the music industry than any other single person before him. He has turned music into the teengirl store

You can add Nicki Minaj to ths list. Sadly, she thinks she has more talent than Mariah Carey....that's what most rap artists think! Kei$ha is another no-talent.

by Anonymousreply 2712/04/2012

[R25] Is she a twat in your world because she doesn't show her twat like Rihanna thigh squeezie weezie? Swift deserves credit for being a force without the pervasive vulgarity of other artists.

by Anonymousreply 2812/04/2012

To clarify: OP's Jezebel link isn't about Taylor Swift's new album "Red". It's about "Speak Now," which came out two years ago and has sold only 52,000 copies since then despite having reached #1 for six non-consecutive weeks at one point or another.

by Anonymousreply 2912/04/2012

[quote] Swift deserves credit for being a force without the pervasive vulgarity of other artists.

Swift deserves credit for the fact that she's sold more autotuned songs than anyone in history. She can't carry a tune in a bucket and would be working at a McDonald's Drive-thru if Autotune were not available. "Would you like fries with that?"

by Anonymousreply 3012/04/2012

r21 and r22, I'm not a big rap fan myself, but you are totally mistaken in blaming that genre for destroying the music industry. It's only part of the story. Mediocre singers like Swift and Britney (and yes, Janet and Madge) who can't really sing, but are more about packaging are what have destroyed the biz. Not to mention undertalented whitebread boy bands.

by Anonymousreply 3112/04/2012

Swift is autotuned AND ghost written.

by Anonymousreply 3212/04/2012

Why is this BREAKING?

by Anonymousreply 3312/04/2012

Rap is partly to blame, you're correct, it lowered the bar for what is considered music and who is considered a musician. I don't think rappers are musicians but some people do. I think they're lyricists.

by Anonymousreply 3412/04/2012

lyricsts makes me think of lyrical.

I don't think there's anything lyrical about "my jam knock in the Mitsubishi, Girls pee pee when they see me"

by Anonymousreply 3512/04/2012

[quote][R21] and [R22], I'm not a big rap fan myself, but you are totally mistaken in blaming that genre for destroying the music industry. It's only part of the story. Mediocre singers like Swift and Britney (and yes, Janet and Madge) who can't really sing, but are more about packaging are what have destroyed the biz. Not to mention undertalented whitebread boy bands.

Please, don't start dissing One Direction, at least these boys can sing. Rap is all noise, and not music.

Madge always re-invents herself, which makes her original.

by Anonymousreply 3612/04/2012

Rap is not to blame for this. Give me a break. You sound about a hundred years old. There have been plenty of terrific rap and hip hop acts over the last twenty years.

The problem is that the industry is focused on image and shock tactics. And that goes across all genres, not just one. It started in the eighties with MTV, but didn't really start crippling the music business until the late nineties.

Joni Mitchell said Madonna knocked talent out of the ballpark. It's unfair to place the blame squarely at her feet, but what can you say when most of these mediocre acts today cite her as a main influence?

by Anonymousreply 3712/04/2012

Rap "artists" and now EDM "artists" lower the bar.

Today, guys who can't play any musical instrument but cut and paste sound samples from Youtube and lay them on top of a drum computer beat, are winning Grammy awards. Like this guy who won the 2012 Grammy.

by Anonymousreply 3812/04/2012

Taylor Swift sucks but OP is deliberately being an obtuse asshole.

by Anonymousreply 3912/04/2012

r31 is SPOT ON!!! The abysmal situation of music today has dickall to do with rap. Madonna was the first one who proved one doesn't really need to be able to sing in order to be a huge megastar and sell. From there it went downhill to Britney and got progressively worse. Now you don't need a voice, you don't need artistically good songs, you don't need to be original in any way or form and you don't really need charisma and stage presence (or even brains).

All you need is:

1) Look good (although not all new stars are good looking)

2) Have songs with "hooks".

3) Have a great pr team

4) Have a label that's willing to throw away a lot of money to promote you.

by Anonymousreply 4012/04/2012

As if Rap didn't prove you don't have to be able to sing to be successful? And what is artistically good about a Rap song? No melody, just a plodding beat and with some asshole angrily barking over it.

by Anonymousreply 4112/04/2012

This is an old thread, you dumb fucks!

She's on top of her game with her new album now.

THREAD CLOSED!

by Anonymousreply 4212/04/2012

R40, you forgot to mention the AutoTune synthesizer.

by Anonymousreply 4312/04/2012

[quote]THREAD CLOSED!

Please, no closing this thread...Thread Re-Opened!

by Anonymousreply 4412/04/2012

Anyone can listen to that album on demand through multiple subscription music services like Spotify or MOG. The days of buying individual recordings are over. Artists will be compensated based on the times their songs are requested/played.

by Anonymousreply 4512/04/2012

[quote]As if Rap didn't prove you don't have to be able to sing to be successful? And what is artistically good about a Rap song? No melody, just a plodding beat and with some asshole angrily barking over it.

Early rap songs had charming, clever rhymes. If anything really ruined rap, it was the infusion of gangsta rap, with its misogyny and homophobia and obsession with violence and blatant materialism.

by Anonymousreply 4612/04/2012

I get sad when I think about how irrelevant the old Billboard records are because of how the business has changed.

by Anonymousreply 4712/04/2012

This will not end well.....

by Anonymousreply 4812/04/2012
Need more help? Click Here.