Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Lucille Ball in "Mame"

Was this considered a good movie? I really thought it would re-launch her film career.

by Anonymousreply 22805/05/2015

Her performance, yea verily, the entire film was the apotheosis of gay culture. Without LUCY/MAME the world as you know it, OP, would not exist.

by Anonymousreply 201/17/2011

Bea Arthur gave the only good performance.

by Anonymousreply 301/17/2011

What an interesting new idea for a thread!

by Anonymousreply 501/17/2011

When did you come to think it would re-launch her career? Back then? If so, then you need not ask anyone if it was considered a good movie. You were around then and you know. It was a bomb.

by Anonymousreply 601/17/2011

Ball was offered both "Mame" and the Faye Dunaway part in "Chinatown," which were shooting at the same time. Imagine how unforgettable she would have been as Evelyn Mulwray.

by Anonymousreply 701/17/2011

Never thought it was as bad as advertised--but it didn't work.

by Anonymousreply 801/17/2011

Please make it stop.

by Anonymousreply 901/17/2011

Wondered how long it would take for you to get here, R7.

by Anonymousreply 1001/17/2011

Unlike the daggers that were thrown at Lucille Ball when the film was released, in hindsight, her performance is now considered a triumph.

by Anonymousreply 1101/17/2011

I finger myself to stone pillow

by Anonymousreply 1201/17/2011

She was all wrong for the part. She was way too old, for one thing...Rex Reed said they shot her close-ups in such soft focus that it looked like somebody smeared chicken fat on the camera lens.

And it was just too sophisticated a role for Lucy. She was all about the slapstick comedy, and this just wasn't right for her.

by Anonymousreply 1301/17/2011

I ate Lucy's excrement.

by Anonymousreply 1401/17/2011

It was considered the worst until Streisand's unfortunate turn as Rose in Gypsy last year.

by Anonymousreply 1501/17/2011

Exactly, R15.

by Anonymousreply 1601/17/2011

The part requires a sort of grande dame and Lucy, well, she's a bit American if you will...just a bit off really. Better at playing Ma Kettle-ish characters.

by Anonymousreply 1701/17/2011

Mame would have been better if they made it with the Here's Lucy doll.

by Anonymousreply 1801/17/2011

[quote]Mame would have been better if they made it with the Here's Lucy doll.

True. It could have been like Todd Haynes Superstar-The Karen Carpenter Story!

by Anonymousreply 1901/17/2011

Hell no!

by Anonymousreply 2001/17/2011

R15 nailed it. Mama Rose must be turning in her grave.

by Anonymousreply 2101/17/2011

[quote]Rex Reed said they shot her close-ups in such soft focus that it looked like somebody smeared chicken fat on the camera lens.

And he refused to shoplift the soundtrack in protest.

by Anonymousreply 2201/17/2011

It's not widely known, but there was some brouhaha at the time about Lucy's casting with Broadway insiders. They believed that Angela Lansbury should have been offered the film version. Cooler Hollywood producer heads prevailed thank God so audiences were spared Lansbury's gargoylish eyepopping and mugging on the big screen. If you doubt it, look at any episode of the ghastly Murder, She Wrote.

by Anonymousreply 2301/17/2011

Lansbury was on the lam in Ireland when MAME was moving into production, hiding there from subpoenas and bad Charles Manson publicity, along with her two fucked up children.

by Anonymousreply 2401/17/2011

Why is DL obsessed by this movie?

by Anonymousreply 2501/17/2011

MAME is a touchstone for what has gone deeply and irrevocably wrong in our lives, R25.

by Anonymousreply 2601/17/2011

R24 is the deranged Lucy troll that pops up on these threads.

by Anonymousreply 2701/17/2011

[quote]Ball was offered both "Mame" and the Faye Dunaway part in "Chinatown," which were shooting at the same time. Imagine how unforgettable she would have been as Evelyn Mulwray.%0D %0D "She's my sister...%0D %0D *lights up a cig*%0D %0D AND my daughter! WAAAHHH!"

by Anonymousreply 2801/17/2011

Streisand has the acting chops compared to Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 2901/17/2011

The funny thing is, everybody on DL goes on and on about Lucy playing Mame, but the only Mame I remember is "Auntie Mame," with Rosalind Russell, which I always enjoyed.

by Anonymousreply 3001/17/2011

"so audiences were spared Lansbury's gargoylish eyepopping and mugging on the big screen."

Instead, audiences were offered Ball's outlandish mugging and dear-god-where-the-fuck-is-Marni-Nixon-when-you-need-her singing.

by Anonymousreply 3101/17/2011

Who is the lunatic who started this thread? I think he's the same as the Judy Holliday and "don't be misogynistic it wounds" troll.

His comments (the ridiculous Evelyn Mulwray thing) are all repeats, and things like "fingers himself to Stone Pillow" are all repeats, too.

Stop getting drunk and starting these stupid threads, OP.

by Anonymousreply 3201/17/2011

And remember kids

Madeline Kahn was fired as Gooch after the table read

Bad calls all day long

by Anonymousreply 3301/18/2011

[quote]Mame would have been better if they made it with the Here's Lucy doll.

Hey! If any doll is going to play, Mame, it's gonna be ME!

by Anonymousreply 3401/18/2011

It was certainly enough to relaunch this thread.%0D %0D They should have dubbed her with Audrey Hepburn doing the singing.

by Anonymousreply 3501/18/2011

John Davidson in drag would have made a better MAME.

by Anonymousreply 3601/18/2011

[quote]Bea Arthur gave the only good performance.%0D %0D It was okay, considering what she was given, but the Vera Charles she played on Broadway allowed her to shine in that part. Bea and Angela were a perfect team when onstage together. %0D %0D In the film, Vera was pulled back so that Mame could shine. There was no teamwork allowed with the star. It was all about Lucy.

by Anonymousreply 3701/18/2011

Lucy was offered the part of Buffy on Family Affair but she couldn't do it because of her commitment to Mame.

by Anonymousreply 3801/18/2011

Actually, Lucy was great at sophisticated comedy earlier in her career. She would have made a great Auntie Mame in the fifties. By 1970, she had barely an ounce of subtlety left.

I still remember fondly Pauline Kael's review where she talks about the hugging montage!

by Anonymousreply 3901/18/2011

R32=

by Anonymousreply 4001/18/2011

One word review..."Mamed"

by Anonymousreply 4101/18/2011

Mame-athon: Event in which one watches both versions of the film back-to-back.

by Anonymousreply 4201/18/2011

I told you you'd remember my name. Oh wait sorry. Never mind.

by Anonymousreply 4301/18/2011

I saw an interview w/ Bea Arthur where she was asked if she had any career regrets...she said she regretted doing the movie version of Mame.

by Anonymousreply 4401/18/2011

This movie is the definition of a "turd".

by Anonymousreply 4501/18/2011

Had it been a hit though Bea would have been jacking her dick to Stone Pillow.

by Anonymousreply 4601/18/2011

r23 is right. On "Murder" Angela's expressions were aimed at the last row of the Winter Garden's%0D rear balcony.

by Anonymousreply 4701/18/2011

The sad thing is, it seems to have killed off Mame for all time. I was really thinking it could be a comeback vehicle for the right performer, but couldn't get the financing. Oh, well. Maybe I'll come into a windfall one of these days.

by Anonymousreply 4801/18/2011

"Madeline Kahn was fired as Gooch after the table read."%0D %0D I love Madeline, but the story of her getting fired from "Mame" was rubbish.%0D %0D Mel Brooks wanted Madeline for "Blazing Saddles" but Madeline was contracted for "Mame". Madeline gave a half ass effort so she could get out of her contract, yet collect her money, and go do "blazing".%0D %0D She pulled a similar stunt with a Broadway show a few years later.%0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 4901/18/2011

Bar Bush would have been a better choice, but she was canning fetus' for winter.

by Anonymousreply 5001/18/2011

[quote]Mel Brooks wanted Madeline for "Blazing Saddles" but Madeline was contracted for "Mame". Madeline gave a half ass effort so she could get out of her contract, yet collect her money, and go do "blazing".

Kahn said she was fired, Lucy biographers claim R49's story.

by Anonymousreply 5101/18/2011

The movie was dreadful, and so was Loose-ie. Angela Lansbury, who originated the role, would have been great. Too bad Hollywood always casts "name" stars rather than real talents who originated the roles. Of course, sometimes even the originals aren't so hot. I saw Barfbra in "Funny Girl" on B'way shortly after it opened--and she was already phoning in her performance. She also was a miserable Dolly--Carol Channing was superb and would have been just as good in the movie. Lansbury is a major talent who has been short-changed by Hollywood for years.

by Anonymousreply 5201/19/2011

Now considered a triumph, Reply 11? The movie was one of Hollywood's more notorious bombs.

by Anonymousreply 5301/19/2011

"Lansbury is a major talent who has been short-changed by Hollywood for years."%0D %0D Please, she has not. She's an icon, not on the level of Lucy of course, but she's still well respected. %0D %0D And R51 Madeline pulled similar antics when she was doing "On the Twentieth Century" on Broadway. I tend to go with the Lucy version.

by Anonymousreply 5401/19/2011

r54, yes, but when the movie of Mame was produced Lansbury was considered a longtime movie supporting actress, much loved by people in the industry and well loved for The Manchurian Candidate by critics and cinephiles, but not someone who would sell tickets.

Her tv career, which would be huge, had not started. She was a major Broadway leading lady, but was not yet a Broadway legend. As far as I know her first and only leading role in a major movie circa Mame was Bedknobs and Broomsticks.

She still deserves a big movie. I was really hoping she might be considered for August Osage County.

by Anonymousreply 5501/19/2011

At the time the movie version of "Mame" was considered a complete disaster and Lucy's "performance" ludicris. That sentiment still stands today. The film is almost unwatchable. Bea Arthur shoulda stood in bed. She looked like a drag queen in the film and turned in the worst performance of her career. The only thing this film would be good for would be to turn it into guitar picks.

by Anonymousreply 5601/19/2011

R56 = a victim of pop culture spelling instead of knowing how the English language actually works.

by Anonymousreply 5701/19/2011

Lucy had the film rights so there was never any consideration of Lansbury being cast as Mame. I think Bea said the filming of the movie put a huge strain on her marriage to Gene Saks. Neither Lucy or any of the principal player ever disputed publicly that Kahn was fired from MAME.

I wouldn't blame Kahn for getting out, maybe she figured out it was going to be a trainwreck at the table reading.

Teri Garr was cast in Kahn's role in Young Frankenstein because Kahn didn't want to do another Brooks movie so quickly after Blazing Saddles. Kahn changed her mind and decided to take the role. Brooks told Garr if she could do a German accent the role of Inga was hers. Farrah Fawcett was almost cast as Inga.

by Anonymousreply 5801/19/2011

Doris Day would have been great as MAME.

by Anonymousreply 5901/19/2011

I wish I could think of a decent actress and singer for a movie remake. You need someone with equal parts ballsiness and flightiness -- a real "broad," if you will.

What about Meryl?

With Glenn as Vera Charles?

by Anonymousreply 6001/19/2011

OP, could you repost this thread in a larger font? For some reason I have Vaseline smeared all over my monitor and am having trouble reading what you said.

by Anonymousreply 6101/19/2011

There is something I could never wrap my head around...even if most everyone thinks the film and Ball's performance suck donkey dick, why is there never any acknowledgment that the title musical sequence filmed on location is one of the most thrilling, showstopping numbers in the history of Hollywood musicals? It is every bit the equal of the dazzling Harmonia Gardens Hello Dolly sequence even though Streisand was also miscast for her role. Just asking for a little fair play here.

by Anonymousreply 6201/19/2011

There reply 62 some fine moments in "Mame". it is far from a total disaster. Robert Preston's "Loving You" with him and Lucy dancing is lovely.

by Anonymousreply 6301/19/2011

With talk of a TV version, maybe it will make people forget what Lucy did to maim "Mame."

by Anonymousreply 6401/19/2011

Wow look at all of us filing in to sit around around the Mame round table. Just like clock work.

by Anonymousreply 6501/19/2011

Kids! I can't jump through chalk drawings. My knees are gone.

by Anonymousreply 6601/19/2011

Everybody in this movie is fucking dead.

by Anonymousreply 6701/20/2011

You need someone younger than Meryl do a remake of MAME. How's about Patrick Wilson in drag?

by Anonymousreply 6801/20/2011

[quote]You need someone younger than Meryl do a remake of MAME.

Nonsense. She needs to have really lived by the time Patrick comes along. She could really do the role justice.

by Anonymousreply 6901/20/2011

I'm sure she was quite funny to people in 1950. I've always been more entertained with stories of her abusive demeanor and drunkenness.

by Anonymousreply 7001/20/2011

When putting the blame on MAME, I'd put Paul Zindel's leaden screenplay and Gene Saks' pause heavy, elephantine pace right up there as a huge part of the problem.

Yes, Lucy's performance isn't her shining moment. But even with her in the lead, this movie could have been much better than it turned out to be.

by Anonymousreply 7201/20/2011

There is no comparison between Babs doing Rose and Lucy doing Mame.

Babs=Jewish/ Rose =Jewish Babs=reknown singer and A1 bitch/Rose huge singing role requiring real chops ,A1 bitch Babs =Character Actress,light comedienne /Rose Comic character Babs= late 60's/Rose character age span could begin at 30- end at 50 Babs= could pass for 50ish (if she was not in control of her look) with voice in tact

Lucy=Irish Am.clown/Mame Irish Am. youthful,energetic,sophisticated and glamorous Lucy=slapstick comedienne, non singer/ Mame light comedienne and moderate singing role requiring a competent singer. Lucy=late 60's and looked like it! weak,coarse speaking voice little acting range but moved well. Lucy A1 bitch/ Mame sympathetic charm personified loved by all

by Anonymousreply 7301/20/2011

Rose isn't Jewish, R73. The real Rose was Irish. Her middle name was Evangeline.

by Anonymousreply 7401/20/2011

r72 nails it. Zindel and Zaks are the lead weight that sinks MAME. Ball often makes the most of her part of the work, but she can't overcome every obstacle those two throw in the way of the movie.

by Anonymousreply 7501/20/2011

[quote]Is the old thread gone?%0D %0D That doesn't matter. We watched the DVD and got inspired by the lyrics of one of the songs. Thus, we've opened a new window!

by Anonymousreply 7601/20/2011

Ball's rendition of My Best Girl is actually quite moving and the best vocal of hers in the film.

by Anonymousreply 7701/20/2011

[quote]Ball's rendition of My Best Girl is actually quite moving and the best vocal of hers in the film.

Moving as in it makes you move your bowels.

by Anonymousreply 7801/20/2011

It moves me to tears of mirth.

by Anonymousreply 7901/20/2011

It moves the volume down.

by Anonymousreply 8001/20/2011

"Ball's rendition of My Best Girl is actually quite moving and the best vocal of hers in the film."

Consider the competition.

by Anonymousreply 8101/20/2011

James Cameron originally wanted to disinter Lucy's corpse and digitally reanimate it for the part of Old Rose in TITANIC, but wouldn't agree to over-the-title billing, so the part went to Gloria Stuart. Similar problems kept Shelley Winters out of the title role.

by Anonymousreply 8201/21/2011

Bob Preston was marvelous in this. Should've won his second Oscar for it.

by Anonymousreply 8301/21/2011

Saw it at Radio City Music Hall the week it opened. Stoned on some very good hash, and the whole experience was surreal. Imagine you are high, watching Lucy croak "light the candles..." To this day, one of my favorite stoner experiences. %0D %0D The film is just awful, lol. Why this thread appears every six months bewilders me. I mean, does anyone ever post a thread about why "A Little Music" is such a lousy film?%0D %0D Oh, right. Liz never did a sit com. Well, thank God for that small favor.

by Anonymousreply 8401/21/2011

[quote]Bob Preston was marvelous in this. Should've won his second Oscar for it.

That would be kind of hard since he never won his first.

[quote]The film is just awful, lol. Why this thread appears every six months bewilders me. I mean, does anyone ever post a thread about why "A Little Music" is such a lousy film?

Yeah but some of the "Lucy was considered for...." posts that it has spawned have been pretty funny. Plus the mental picture of someone fingering themselves to Stone Pillow.

by Anonymousreply 8501/21/2011

If Lucy could sing, she would be great. I don't know how old she was then, but she is a very pretty lady.

by Anonymousreply 8601/21/2011

[quote]If Lucy could sing, she would be great. I don't know how old she was then, but she is a very pretty lady.

I don't think she's so pretty now. She was in her early 60's when she did Mame though the greasy lens tried to shave off about 15-20 years off her age.

by Anonymousreply 8701/21/2011

Someone told me that Lucy was the first choice for the mother on Lost In Space.

by Anonymousreply 8801/21/2011

Did anyone see that awful final sitcom of Lucy's from the '80s?

One of the reviews said something to the effect of, her slapstick routine was funny when she was in her 40s, but a 75-year old woman falling off a ladder is not funny.

by Anonymousreply 8901/21/2011

[quote]Why this thread appears every six months bewilders me. I mean, does anyone ever post a thread about why "A Little Music" is such a lousy film?

Almost no one saw the film version of ALNM. Even those who did found it forgettable. The fascination with Lucy/MAME is that it combines two things we like individually into an unforgettably horrendous whole. It's like a sandwich made of Peanut Butter and Pate de Foie Gras.

by Anonymousreply 9001/21/2011

[quote]"Ball's rendition of My Best Girl is actually quite moving and the best vocal of hers in the film."

[quote]Consider the competition.

I read that as "Consider the constipation.".

by Anonymousreply 9101/21/2011

[quote]I don't think she's so pretty now. She was in her early 60's when she did Mame though the greasy lens tried to shave off about 15-20 years off her age.%0D %0D Try 30-35.

by Anonymousreply 9201/21/2011

[quote] It's like a sandwich made of Peanut Butter and Pate de Foie Gras.%0D %0D %0D Yum!

by Anonymousreply 9301/21/2011

R92, that means you think Mame was supposed to be in her late 20s or early 30s!

As far as I know, Mame's age is never hinted at. Mame says Vera is "somewhere between forty and death," but that's the only indication of anyone's age.

Rosalind Russell was 50 when she starred as Auntie Mame on Broadway, and 51 when she made the film. When Angela Lansbury did Mame, she was 41.

Lucille Ball was 63, which I agree was a little too old, but it wouldn't have been quite so absurd if she hadn't drawn attention to the fact with all the gauzy filters. Meryl Streep is 61 now, but she wouldn't look half so haggard in the role -- not that she's really the proper age.

I'd put Mame around 40, personally. So I'd think she could be played by an actress up to -- what? seven years older?

by Anonymousreply 9401/21/2011

[quote]Lucille Ball was 63, which I agree was a little too old, but it wouldn't have been quite so absurd if she hadn't drawn attention to the fact with all the gauzy filters. Meryl Streep is 61 now, but she wouldn't look half so haggard in the role -- not that she's really the proper age.

Russell actually looked pretty good up until around the time she started getting sick, not 10-15 years younger but good. Lucy was a lifelong smoker and didn't age well.

by Anonymousreply 9501/21/2011

[quote]Russell actually looked pretty good up until around the time she started getting sick, not 10-15 years younger but good. Lucy was a lifelong smoker and didn't age well.

I could play the part! My skin is smooth as a baby's behind!

by Anonymousreply 9601/21/2011

Patrick Wilson is a little on the young side, but he could wear gray wigs in some of the later MAME scenes to ook older.

by Anonymousreply 9701/21/2011

[quote]As far as I know, Mame's age is never hinted at.

As young women she and Vera supposedly trouped in a road company of CHU CHIN CHOW which came to America in 1917. In the book's first post-World War Two episode Patrick says she has taken to describing herself as "Frankly Forty" when (he adds parenthetically) she was Factually Fifty.

Mame was most likely born in 1895 or so.

by Anonymousreply 9801/21/2011

Roz looked good in the two Trouble with Angels movies, but by Mrs. Polifax she started looking a little puffy, but still endearing and still the Roz we loved all the back to The Women and His Girl Friday, if not even earlier.

by Anonymousreply 9901/21/2011

100!

by Anonymousreply 10001/21/2011

r. 100%0D %0D Which is the exact same age Lucille Ball would have been this August.

by Anonymousreply 10101/21/2011

Well, I could see a new interpretation of it with Beyonce as Mame, Vanessa Williams as Vera, Will Smith as Beau, Monique as Gooch and change Patrick to Patricia with Willow Smith!

by Anonymousreply 10201/21/2011

They should do a colored version with that Bouncey woman.

by Anonymousreply 10301/21/2011

r. 103%0D %0D What's wrong with changing Patrick (Wilson) to a woman -- Mame Dennis?

by Anonymousreply 10401/21/2011

[quote]Mame was most likely born in 1895 or so.%0D %0D Which would make her around 33-34 when the Market crashed in 1929 - 30 years younger than Ball's age of 63.

by Anonymousreply 10501/21/2011

Turn in your gay card, r98. You confused "Auntie Mame" with "Little Me."

Bad gay. Bad.

by Anonymousreply 10601/21/2011

Sorry, R106, but R98 was right and you're wrong. Here's the citation for the Frankly Forty / Factually Fifty reference, which was "right after V-J" day.

by Anonymousreply 10701/21/2011

And here is the "Chu Chin Chow" reference. Or one of them -- it is mentioned several times in the book.

by Anonymousreply 10801/21/2011

Sorry, better link for "Chu Chin Chow."

by Anonymousreply 10901/21/2011

OK: back to the age question. At least, the Auntie Mame in the book.

If she was about 50 on V-J day in 1945, then she was, as R98 noted, born around 1895. The book opens with Patrick's father dictating his will in 1928 and dying a year later. So when we meet Mame she is 34 years old.

God. EVERYONE who has portrayed her was too old.

If we were casting it today, and wanted to be "authentic," we'd cast someone no older than 40, so we're looking for women born between 1971 and 1977.

Here's the list, arranged by "STARmeter," which is a ranking of the most popular names (searched for and clicked on) in the IMDb.

Angelina Jolie tops the list. AJ as Auntie Mame??? She's ballsy and eccentric, but can she sing? Amy Adams can sing, but she's way too sweet. Gwyneth can sing but we hate her.

by Anonymousreply 11001/21/2011

I can see why Mame would remember Chu Chin Chow fondly. Here are some of the costume designs:

by Anonymousreply 11101/21/2011

Now those would've been something to wear to the recent WH Dinner for China R111.

by Anonymousreply 11201/21/2011

R106, "Frankly Forty" was a joke that Patrick Dennis used for both Mame and Belle. The only difference is that the shameless Belle was pushing seventy when she used it to describe herself.

by Anonymousreply 11301/21/2011

Worth seeing:

by Anonymousreply 11401/21/2011

Good God, R114, that's funny. Thanks.%0D %0D I think the scene with "Mamie" and the Upsons at Upson Downs is actually very good.

by Anonymousreply 11501/21/2011

Exactly R115! Lucy hit every note perfectly in that non-singing scene. It puts the lie to all who say she could not do sophisticated comedy.

by Anonymousreply 11601/21/2011

"Lucy hit every note perfectly in that non-singing scene."

Thus balancing out the musical numbers, no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 11701/22/2011

[quote]It puts the lie to all who say she could not do sophisticated comedy.

In all of her incarnations Auntie Mame wasn't really sophisticated comedy. It was middle-brow situation comedy with a heavy dose of slapstick in a supposedly sophisticated setting.

by Anonymousreply 11801/22/2011

Kelli O'Hara for the upcoming TV version.

by Anonymousreply 11901/22/2011

How long until some techno-savy gay autotunes all of Lucy's musical numbers from Mame and posts them on Youtube?

by Anonymousreply 12001/22/2011

Well, that's just the thing, R120. If the producers had decided to dub Lucy (as she wanted btw) like they did for Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady and Deborah Kerr in The King & I, her peromance would have been dubbed a masterpiece. A shame...

by Anonymousreply 12101/22/2011

[quote]When putting the blame on MAME, I'd put Paul Zindel's leaden screenplay and Gene Saks' pause heavy, elephantine pace right up there as a huge part of the problem.

You've hit the nail on the head. I never thought of that before, but it makes perfect sense. The sense of "sweet cement" is the fault of the creators, not of the performers.

Can this film be re-edited an re-dubbed? I'd love to see that.

by Anonymousreply 12201/22/2011

Rhapsody has the soundtrack for $9.99%0D %0D But you get 25 free listens per month.

by Anonymousreply 12301/23/2011

Bullshit, R121 and R122. Lucy absolutely STANK in the role. From her mugging and emphysemic rattling everytime she opened her mouth to her falling back on the Lucy Ricardo reactions, she was terrible. A mop in a red wig would have performed better.

by Anonymousreply 12401/23/2011

"The sense of "sweet cement" is the fault of the creators,"

You're also describing Ball's makeup.

by Anonymousreply 12501/23/2011

Roz Russell had a noticable hobble in scenes filmed after the Forrest Tucker sequences, but Lucy walked perfectly fine after her scenes with Robert Preston. Did Mame hobble in the book? Did Lansbury have a hobble on stage?

by Anonymousreply 12601/23/2011

{quote]Roz Russell had a noticable hobble in scenes filmed after the Forrest Tucker sequences...%0D %0D Honey, you'd hobble too after a "scene" with Forrest Tucker.

by Anonymousreply 12701/23/2011

Whomever dubs her in this video is a fucking genius. This is her singing voice in the 70s!

by Anonymousreply 12801/23/2011

I miss Robert Preston.

Do I recall correctly that he was actually gay?

by Anonymousreply 12901/23/2011

Whatever one thinks of the film, Lucy's costumes were absolutely gorgeous and she still had her showgirl figure to wear them. I always wondered why the recently deceased Theoni V. Aldredge didn't receive an Oscar nomination for her costumes. It's not like piece of crap films never get any technical nominations. T'is a puzzlement.

by Anonymousreply 13001/24/2011

You have to feel sorry for Bea Arthur after having such a delightful romp on Broadway in this show to be brought down to working with a nasty old battle-axe who should have quit the business a decade prior.

by Anonymousreply 13101/31/2011

R130, Because Theoni wasn't the designer, it was Thea Van Runkle. Pauline Kael called her designs "abominations."

by Anonymousreply 13201/31/2011

[quote]You have to feel sorry for Bea Arthur after having such a delightful romp on Broadway in this show to be brought down to working with a nasty old battle-axe who should have quit the business a decade prior.

Why are we talking about Betty White all of a sudden?

by Anonymousreply 13301/31/2011

In this movie, I love Robert Preston, Jane Connell (her opening scene in the laywer's office always makes me laugh), the 1920s montage during the title credits, and Bea Arthur.

I hate Lucy and young Patrick.

I feel sorry for Bruce Davison. He looks so embarrassed to be in this mess.

by Anonymousreply 13401/31/2011

$9.99 for the soundtrack? Just about anywhere you can buy the whole damned movie on DVD for $5.

by Anonymousreply 13501/31/2011

Got mine for $10 including shipping from Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 13601/31/2011

It appears that we may soon get a "Gypsy" that will match the horror that was Lucy in "Mame."

by Anonymousreply 13702/15/2011

Get her name right, R132. It's Theadora Van Runkle. That's how she's billed in the movie's credits.

by Anonymousreply 13802/15/2011

Lucy jumped at the chance to work with Bob Fosse in Star 80. Fosse offered her the Dorothy Stratten part and Lucy even shot some Playboy test photos for it. Salary issues ended up costing Lucy the part and Mariel Hemingway played the role instead.

by Anonymousreply 13902/22/2011

Five years from now, Lucille Ball in "Mame" threads will be replaced by Barbra Streisand in "Gypsy" threads - the worst filmed musical, ever!!!!

by Anonymousreply 14003/01/2011

She coaxed some awful notes right out of that horn.

by Anonymousreply 14103/08/2011

R83, when did Robert Preston win an Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 14203/08/2011

I have it on good authority that Helen Lawson turned down the Broadway & Hollywood "Mame" lead. She opted to go with Otto Preminger to do the "St. Joan" film classic and the rest, of course, is history.

by Anonymousreply 14303/08/2011

Tired, r143. The Lawson routine is so overused that it's just not funny anymore.

by Anonymousreply 14403/08/2011

Wouldn't it be great if three were some kind of a zapper whereby every time someone typed the Lawson name, it would make their keyboard go up in smoke!!!

by Anonymousreply 14503/08/2011

Gwyneth Paltrow is doing "Mame" in San Diego and Long Beach next season.

by Anonymousreply 14604/24/2011

[quote]Gwyneth Paltrow is doing "Mame" in San Diego and Long Beach next season.

Do lesbians schedule their encounters that far in advance? And how do we think Mame felt about Gwyneth spilling the beans?

by Anonymousreply 14704/24/2011

Whenever I watch Bruce Davison in MAME or anything, I think about what a hot ass he had in LAST SUMMER. He showed it during the scene where he rapes Catherine Burns. I think I about came when he stripped out off that white bathing suit. Unfortunately, when SUMMER was recently broadcast on TCM, the nudity was edited out of the print. You only get to see that fine ass on the out of print VHS tape.

by Anonymousreply 14804/24/2011

I still remember an interview Bruce Davison gave, it might have been in the Advocate, where he said he tried hustling when he was in college to earn extra money, but that he had to give it up because he didn't give very good blowjobs.

by Anonymousreply 14904/24/2011

After the failure of "Mame", Lucy gave up on her dream project. She had already done costume tests for her remake of "A Star is Born".

by Anonymousreply 15004/24/2011

I listen to old-time radio on NPR on Sunday nights. Tonight it's "China Seas" starring Clark Gable, Lucille Ball, and Anna Lee. First time I've heard Lucy in a drama and she's really good in this. Every week it's radio versions of Hollywood films with big name stars.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 15104/24/2011

What's the latest about the Brit "Mame" remake with Catherine Zeta Jones, Rupert Everett as Beau and Susan Boyle as Nora? Is it planned for TV or film release?

by Anonymousreply 15205/08/2011

CZJ would be terrific Mame, but Rupert Everett would be arch better Vera than a Beau. In fact, Vera Charles is the role he was born to play.

by Anonymousreply 15305/08/2011

I nominate Barbra to be Mother Burnside.

by Anonymousreply 15405/12/2011

by Anonymousreply 15507/28/2011

I suggest Marcus Bachmann to be Mother Burnside.

by Anonymousreply 15608/13/2011

Mother Burnside-Bachmann

by Anonymousreply 15708/13/2011

They should have redone this about ten years ago with Bette Middler and Christine Baranski.

by Anonymousreply 15808/15/2011

"Was this considered a good movie?"

By good if you mean something that wasn't universally reviled, well, then no; it wasn't considered a good movie, not even a fair one.

by Anonymousreply 15908/15/2011

Someone said the film had lines that were funnier than the stage play. I didn't get that - but it could have been due to the horrific job Ball was doing. That overwhelmed any appreciation of what may have been okay in the film version.

by Anonymousreply 16008/16/2011

R157 - fabulous casting!!!!

by Anonymousreply 16207/22/2012

Thank GOD the MAME thread is back!

by Anonymousreply 16307/22/2012

The "Gypsy" thread moved into "Mame" territory. We can't tolerate that when we have a thread dedicated to "Mame."

by Anonymousreply 16407/23/2012

Bea Arthur was pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 16507/23/2012

I don't understand why everyone says that the film version had a completely different screenplay than the book of the show. Other that the cutting of the song by the pool in CT, if memory serves, most of the lines are exactly the same throughout.

by Anonymousreply 16607/23/2012

Lucy should have filmed "Wildcat" instead of "Mame."

by Anonymousreply 16707/27/2012

[quote]They should have redone this about ten years ago with Bette Middler and Christine Baranski.

That could have been a good one.

by Anonymousreply 16807/27/2012

Why was a La Cage film never made? AIDS panic? I love The Birdcage but "La Cage" just screams for a film version. It would all rest on getting two well-known Hollywood actors for Albin and Georges though, in order to sell a musical.

by Anonymousreply 16907/27/2012

There's a scene early on where Lucy goes into the bathroom and Patrick sneaks in behind her. She turns around and does a take but she does the take before she sees him. Lucy's timing was completely gone at this point.

by Anonymousreply 17007/27/2012

[quote]Five years from now, Lucille Ball in "Mame" threads will be replaced by Barbra Streisand in "Gypsy" threads - the worst filmed musical, ever!!!!

It's not going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 17109/08/2012

I agree with R. 169, why isn't there a La Cage Aux Folles MUSICAL movie?

Patrick Wilson was born to play Zaza. Could be the star vehicle he deserves.

by Anonymousreply 17209/08/2012

An even better idea. What about a remake of the movie Mame with Patrick Wilson as Auntie Mame?

by Anonymousreply 17309/08/2012

OP is completely disingenuous.

by Anonymousreply 17409/08/2012

[quote]Why was a La Cage film never made? AIDS panic? I love The Birdcage but "La Cage" just screams for a film version.

You answered your own question. Mike Nichols swooped in and got the rights to the original movie which is way cheaper than the musical and made his own first.

[quote]There's a scene early on where Lucy goes into the bathroom and Patrick sneaks in behind her. She turns around and does a take but she does the take before she sees him. Lucy's timing was completely gone at this point.

You realize that Lucy didn't direct or edit the film don't you?

Amazing the out of print soundtrack goes for $50 bucks new and $25 bucks used on Amazon and that's to buy it. Not what they will give you to take it.

by Anonymousreply 17509/08/2012

It's tuh-DAAAY!

by Anonymousreply 17609/08/2012

There's another glaring director's faux pas at the end of the MAME in which Mame hugs her nephew without doing the same to his wife.

by Anonymousreply 17709/08/2012

Shockingly, Lucille Ball was actually considered for the role of Mame in the original Broadway production (according to this interview with Angela Lansbury).

by Anonymousreply 17809/08/2012

Was Bernadette Peters ever considered for Gooch after Madeline Kahn was fired? She played Mabel in Jerry Herman's MACK & MABEL around the same time.

by Anonymousreply 17909/08/2012

"Jane Connell offers background and insights into the spectacular failure that was Mame. She tells of having to stifle her two teenage daughters at the screening who kept saying “Ughhh!” at what was being projected before them. She had portrayed Agnes Gooch in the 1966 Broadway production, but Madeline Kahn, a hot new screen comedienne (notably for her part in What’s Up Doc?) was granted the role in the film, which, of course, starred Lucille Ball. After two weeks of rehearsal, Lucy looked at Kahn and stated, “When am I going to see Gooch?” There was a major clash of technique (and age) and finally Ball announced, “Get me Gooch!” and Connell was called in. Kahn was paid more NOT to star in Mame than Connell made doing it. By now, Connell was a tad long in the tooth to play a soon-to-be unwed mother with little life experience. Of Ball, who she adored, she says, “She had an unnecessary allegiance to her fans, always thinking that she should be the old Lucy for them. Her hair was as orange as ever…she (used) some kind of hooks under her wigs to pull up and tighten her jaw line. All this, plus the soft focus photography she insisted on hampered her portrayal. Remember, Mame was a character whose credo was ‘Live, live, live!” -- she wasn’t so concerned about her appearance or being just so. The familiar freedom seemed to disappear now that Lucy was older. She couldn’t throw her body around like she used to for fear of losing a wig or a muscle hook or getting a bad angle.” Connell talks of going to (one of the business’s wealthiest and most successful women) Ball’s house for dinner and seeing a succulent lobster emerge from the kitchen only to be placed in front of Ball’s husband Gary Morton. Ball reportedly remarked, “Oh, that’s for Gary. We’re just having leftovers.” The final insult was going to a local video store to rent Mame just to be told by the clerk that she didn’t want to see that one because “It’s lousy” and getting the recommendation to rent the earlier, non-musical Auntie Mame with Rosalind Russell instead!"

by Anonymousreply 18009/08/2012

I'm shocked Jane Connell had kids.

by Anonymousreply 18209/08/2012

[quote]Bea Arthur gave the only good performance.

She gave a good performance, but the same can be said of Robert Preston as Beau.

by Anonymousreply 18304/20/2013

You would think that with the digital equipment available today, they could rework both the appearance and audio of this film to make Lucy seem halfway decent in the role.

by Anonymousreply 18408/07/2013

R183 is right. Both Bea and Robert Preston did a good job in the film.

by Anonymousreply 18503/10/2014

I actually loved it. It was a lot of fun and the acting was great.

by Anonymousreply 18603/10/2014

Warner Bros made the misguided decision not to dub her vocals, not Lucy. She even said on the Phil Donahue show that she would have preferred it that way.

by Anonymousreply 18703/10/2014

[quote]The technology to isolate individual sounds has progressed since then to make it happen... but that doesn't mean they'll use it.

It would be nice.

by Anonymousreply 18803/11/2014

Reportedly she paid THEM to have her star in the film. Lucille was all wrong aside from being just way too old. The film today is painful to watch and truly boring! It was mistake as was her TV movie "Stone Pillow" and her last god-awful TV show "Life With Lucy". Poor choices coupled with bad advice from her husband and homosexual slaves (who did everything for her including wipe her ass).

by Anonymousreply 18905/20/2014

"Mame" wasn't the worst movie musical of all time but it was a huge disappointment to those who enjoyed the stage version. Most realized in advance, that Lucille Ball would be a disaster. When it opened, that prediction came true.

by Anonymousreply 19005/21/2014

[quote] R191

Agreed. One of Lucille Ball's problems was she didn't know when to quit !!

The best thing that she ever did was I LOVE LUCY and that was when she peaked. EVERY subsequent work of hers went further down the chain. Shame too because had she retired earlier her overall reputation would've remained stellar. I think that Richard Burton's observations about her were likely on target.

by Anonymousreply 19105/21/2014

R193, are you insane??? Her overall reputation WOULD HAVE remained stellar?? Lucille Ball to this day remains the Queen of Comedy and the most beloved tv star of all time, bar none. Enough with the nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 19205/21/2014

[quote]Lucille Ball to this day remains the Queen of Comedy and the most beloved tv star of all time, bar none.

That's for the over-60 crowd. Young people have no idea who she was.

by Anonymousreply 19305/23/2014

In the mid-1970s I had the opportunity to visit with Vivian Vance and during our conversation she said Lucy had purchased her role in MAME in an attempted comeback. Ms. Vance seemed to gloat, just a little, that MAME had bombed.

by Anonymousreply 19405/23/2014

[quote]R194

Insane ? No. Do you have trouble with reading comprehension ?

by Anonymousreply 19505/27/2014

Does anyone believe that Miss Ball, in her heart of hearts, ever said to herself, "Man, that was a real stinkeroo. What was I thinking?"

by Anonymousreply 19605/27/2014

Ah, Kelt you give it a good try. I Love Lucy is of its time and place. Some very funny moments, but no longer a funny show. Too dumb, and Lucy looks very old even in that first series. Her reputation would be dwindling if she had stopped even then. The history/legacy of the show is interesting to those who care, but it won't make kids laugh.

Mary Tyler Moore was a more adept comedienne than Ball and Carol Burnett a more outrageous one. Lucy deserves her pioneering kudos. So does Lillian Gish. They will soon be of equal relevance.

Mame IS the worst big budget musical of all time and before that Lucy made a bunch of crap TV shows. She had zero sense of humour, and whether you are from seventy years ago or now, a good comic requires a sense of humour. Lucy was an actress, who had success in a comedy show. She was great at times doing that. But she was always kind of hideous.

"I Love Lucy" was a cardboard backdrop for the antiquated antics of Lucille Ball. Historically important, but funny only in clips. Artifact.

"Mame" is funnier, unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 19705/28/2014

Five years from now, Lucille Ball in "Mame" threads will be replaced by Barbra Streisand in "Gypsy" threads - the worst filmed musical, ever!!!!

Ladies, ladies, ladies.....but we already have a winner in this category. And it's the Gypsy version with Bette Midler....so terribly bad that it hurt to watch it. The putrid smell of that disaster caused nausea and dizziness to most viewers of the smaller TV version. Happily it has gone into the ether, and not too many viewers recall that frightful experience. Never again to be spoken about by Miss Bette herself since she can smell a turkey miles away as it approaches!

by Anonymousreply 19805/28/2014

[quote] Never again to be spoken about by Miss Bette herself since she can smell a turkey miles away as it approaches!

Yes, I'm always on the lookout for new roles.

by Anonymousreply 19905/28/2014

[quote]The putrid smell of that disaster caused nausea and dizziness to most viewers of the smaller TV version.

Midler's GYPSY was released in theaters outside the US.

by Anonymousreply 20005/28/2014

[quote]Midler's GYPSY was released in theaters outside the US.

It's amazing they got away with that. It looks so TV.

by Anonymousreply 20105/28/2014

MAME is now a beloved holiday classic. People won't be saying the same of GYPSY.

by Anonymousreply 20305/30/2014

I'm still picturing lucy getting finger banged in dressed to kill

by Anonymousreply 20405/30/2014

[quote]Rex Reed said they shot her close-ups in such soft focus that it looked like somebody smeared chicken fat on the camera lens.

What a bitch!!!!

by Anonymousreply 20504/26/2015

[quote]MAME is now a beloved holiday classic.

One song from Mame it a holiday classic. It was recorded by Johnny Mathis, the Glee chorus, Ray Conniff Singers, Angela Lansbury, Percy Faith Orchestra, Andy Williams, Boston Pops, and hundreds of others.

by Anonymousreply 20604/26/2015

It sounds as if Lucile Ball prepared for singing by gargling with ground glass.

by Anonymousreply 20704/27/2015

The problem with MAME is the script by Paul Zindel. It is not funny. NO ONE could have successfully played that dog of a script. Line after line lands as flat as piss on a plate.

Lucy was an experienced comic actress and an experienced producer. She should have spotted that problem, put her star foot down, and gotten it fixed.

by Anonymousreply 20804/27/2015

You're an idiot, r209. Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee wrote the script for the musical stage play. Paul Zindel wrote a new script for the film. The screenplay does not have the same dialogue as the musical stage play. And it's not funny. And neither are you.

by Anonymousreply 21004/27/2015

The lines are almost identical to the original. Pauline Kael said that Zindel shouldn't have even gotten a credit since it was so similar to the Roz Russell version.

by Anonymousreply 21104/27/2015

[quote]The lines are almost identical to the original.

The moron at R210 doesn't want to hear that.

by Anonymousreply 21204/27/2015

The trailer. The publicity department at Warner Bros. had quite the challenge.

by Anonymousreply 21304/27/2015

[quote]Pauline Kael said that Zindel shouldn't have even gotten a credit since it was so similar to the Roz Russell version.

She was right.

by Anonymousreply 21404/30/2015

Looks awful. Wish Bea Arthur would've played the lead role.

by Anonymousreply 21504/30/2015

I wonder how many people in the U.S. know or care that there was a movie called "Mame"?

by Anonymousreply 21604/30/2015

I, too, have heard the rumors that Lucy spent a lot of her personal money to get the lead in Mame. After her TV series was cancelled by CBS (and don't give me that crap about her choosing to end the show), I believe Lucy thought Mame would re-establish her as a movie star. She put everything she had into making Mame a big success - but she was totally miscast from the start.

When her longtime makeup man told her that he was retiring after Here's Lucy and wouldn't work on Mame with her, Lucy was so angry she slapped him. Lucy was an incredible bitch to Vivian Vance over the years - refusing to give her reasonably salary when Vivian helped Lucy re-establish herself as a TV sitcom star with The Lucy Show. When Vivian married John Dodds (a kind literary agent, who was gay, and a wonderful companion for Vivian after her long abusive earlier marriage), Lucy ridiculed Vivian's marriage behind her back and to her face on the set of the show.

Lucy loved and promoted herself endlessly. Lucy was notorious for instructing the crew to take great pains to make her look better than any other woman in the cast. "Stay with the money," she'd growl when she felt threatened by any female cast member. Lucy was incredibly cheap and she loved her money. Lucy sold Desilu to Gulf Western in the late 1960s for a reported $17 million (and that was Lucy's take - she had already bought out Desi' share years earlier). In spite of all that money, when her daughter Lucie got married, Lucy gave Lucie an incredibly cheap wedding by the pool in her backyard. Jack Benny said Lucy spent less on her daughter's wedding than most parents would spent on a child's birthday party - paper plates, paper cups, crepe paper - just horrendous.

In the end, Lucy was a victim of her own vanity and selfishness. She paid dearly to get the role of Mame that anyone (but Lucy) could see was a disaster waiting to be filmed for the ages. Kind of funny when you think about it.

by Anonymousreply 21704/30/2015

Rumor has it that DL fave D@vida R0chelle has approached the Bellagio management with a proposal that she star in "Mame" for a year run at the Las Vegas resort.

by Anonymousreply 21805/03/2015

[quote]I really thought it would re-launch her film career.

You and Lucy must have been the only people who thought it would re-launch her film career.

by Anonymousreply 21905/05/2015

The Rosalind Russell movie version of Mame was & is a fantastic movie. Iconic, timeless, well-done, spot-on in terms of performances, writing & comedic timing.

The Lucille Ball version was a pale,unfunny, cheap & awful imitation.

THREAD FUCKING CLOSED.

by Anonymousreply 22005/05/2015

That trailer is cringeworthy. At one point, the narrator solemnly informs us that "Mame is a comedy." Followed by Lucille Ball doing a Lucy-style pratfall off of the prop moon in the disastrous musical Mame is doing (apparently nobody got the irony). "AAAAAUUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!" she bellows in that 3-pack-a-day voice.

Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 22105/05/2015

[quote]In spite of all that money, when her daughter Lucie got married, Lucy gave Lucie an incredibly cheap wedding by the pool in her backyard. Jack Benny said Lucy spent less on her daughter's wedding than most parents would spent on a child's birthday party - paper plates, paper cups, crepe paper - just horrendous.

Why should I waste my money on marriage that was DOOMED to failure from the start! I knew it wouldn't last.

by Anonymousreply 22205/05/2015

They really should have dubbed Lucy's singing voice in this. Listening to her croak out those lyrics in her cigarette-ravaged voice was just awful.

by Anonymousreply 22305/05/2015

R221, that bellow was stolen from Tallulah Bankhead during the Lucy Comedy Hour. Watch when Lucy knocks over the food in the PTA play and you'll hear Tallu give the the exact same baritone scream.

by Anonymousreply 22405/05/2015

[quote]Lucy Comedy Hour

Ess-cuze me?

by Anonymousreply 22505/05/2015
Need more help? Click Here.