Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sondra on the cosby show

they had one too many kids on that show. sondra seemed pointless.

by Anonymousreply 14703/31/2013

She was the only one I really liked. And his husband.

by Anonymousreply 101/16/2011

And the actress was only 4 years younger than Phylicia Rhashad.

by Anonymousreply 201/16/2011

It was the first role that made Shia LeBoeuf a household name!

by Anonymousreply 301/16/2011

it was a way to bring in little kids (sondra's twins winnie & nelson) when rudy and that other one got bigger. whose kid was that one, anyway? the young extra one?

by Anonymousreply 401/16/2011

It's not like they just retconned the family and tacked her on after Rudy got older. Sondra and Eldon were around from the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 501/16/2011

My nasty mother used to rant at the screen whenever she came on. She'd yell out "It's impossible for two dark parents to have a light skinned child!" It really bothered her. The old snatch.

by Anonymousreply 601/16/2011

Sondra didn't come onto the show until about four or five episodes in. The show was originally conceived of with Cliff and Claire only having four children, and then for the first season's Thanksgiving show, without any explanation, they suddenly said, "Why here's our oldest daughter home from Princeton!" Bill Cosby wanted to add an Ivy League child to show how successful his TV family was.

by Anonymousreply 701/16/2011

Even as a small child I found it odd that Sondra who appeared to be pushing 40 was supposed to be the Huxtable's undergrad daughter.

by Anonymousreply 801/16/2011

Rudy was originally written as a boy but Cosby really liked Keisha Knight Pulliam.

by Anonymousreply 901/17/2011

I liked Olivia best, then Vanessa then Denise.

by Anonymousreply 1001/17/2011

I wanted to fuck Theo, especially when he was a college student and had a much better haircut than the first seasons and was beefier.

by Anonymousreply 1101/17/2011

Cosby had four daughters and a son in real life. Once it was clear that the show was going to be a long-running hit perhaps it occurred to him that one of his real-life daughters would feel that she had been eliminated from the TV counterpart family.

by Anonymousreply 1201/17/2011

Cousin Pam? What was up with that?

by Anonymousreply 1301/17/2011

R6 you realize your mom was wrong, right?

by Anonymousreply 1401/17/2011

She's why one of the kids on Shameless should be worried.

by Anonymousreply 1501/17/2011

I hated Olivia. Loved Rudy and Vanessa (delightfully bitchy, that one).

by Anonymousreply 1601/17/2011

[quote]It's impossible for two dark parents to have a light skinned child!"%0D %0D What r14 said, plus Phylicia is light-skinned

by Anonymousreply 1701/17/2011

It did take a few episodes for Eldon to be introduced. my roommate back then (an actual Princeton grad) was a runner up for the role, and I remember the show being out already when he auditioned. %0D %0D He looked a lot like the guy who got the part, so they were definitely going for a certain type.

by Anonymousreply 1801/17/2011

My dad mixed the Lisa Bonet National Enquirer stories with the Cosby storyline and did not think very highly of Phylicia Rashad; he thought she was a terrible, undoubtedly unfaithful 'workaholic' mother.

I've never corrected him on that one.

by Anonymousreply 1901/17/2011

Sabrina attended the Harvard Acting School with Angela Bassett, Kate Burton and Charles Dutton

by Anonymousreply 2001/17/2011

Is she still on friendly terms with Carey Mulligan?

by Anonymousreply 2101/17/2011

Sondra came in late because Bill Cosby was still torn between two actresses for the role. After several readings, he eventually settled on Sabrina Lebeaof over a young model and aspiring singer called Whitney Houston.

by Anonymousreply 2201/17/2011

Was Lisa Bonet hated by the rest of the cast?

by Anonymousreply 2301/18/2011

I never knew Whitney was considered for a role.

by Anonymousreply 2401/18/2011

No, Sabrina and the others you mentioned are grads of Yale Drama School. %0D %0D She and Lisa Bonet bear a remarkable resemblance (and sound just like) the girl who claimed Cosby was her father.

by Anonymousreply 2501/18/2011

And who can forget Tempestt Bledsoe's mid 90's talk show!

by Anonymousreply 2601/18/2011

[quote]And the actress was only 4 years younger than Phylicia Rhashad.

More like 10 years younger.

by Anonymousreply 2701/18/2011

Cousin Pam made the show better. Bill Cosby was a pompous ass.

by Anonymousreply 2803/01/2011

[quote]Sabrina attended the Harvard Acting School with Angela Bassett, Kate Burton and Charles Dutton

That would be the Yale School of Drama.

by Anonymousreply 2903/01/2011

Winnie and Nelson? Really? LOL

by Anonymousreply 3003/01/2011

Yes, R7. I remember, in an extremely early episode of the show, Cliff remarking to Claire something about them having 4 children. Then along came Sondra.

by Anonymousreply 3103/01/2011

WEHT Charles Dutton?

by Anonymousreply 3203/01/2011

Doing theater, R32

by Anonymousreply 3303/01/2011

Denise was always my fav, since she dressed so different. My friends and I wanted everything in her closet. She was a cool chick!!

by Anonymousreply 3403/01/2011

R22, I thought Suzette Charles was originally considered for the role.

by Anonymousreply 3503/01/2011

[quote]I thought Suzette Charles was originally considered for the role.

She may have audition but she wasn't in contention. It came down to Whitney and Sabrina. Cosby was impressed with Sabrina's academic credentials and that is what swayed him to cast her.

by Anonymousreply 3603/01/2011

[quote]WEHT Charles Dutton?

Who cares what that murderer is up to?

by Anonymousreply 3703/01/2011

Charles Dutton was in a long-term relationship with Angela Bassett, while at the same time having an affair with Debbi Morgan.

by Anonymousreply 3803/01/2011

...And he later married Debbi.

by Anonymousreply 3903/01/2011

Denise was the only one on that show who seemed like she'd be cool with gay guys and have them as friends.

by Anonymousreply 4003/01/2011

Vanessa screamed fag hag.

by Anonymousreply 4103/01/2011

Why R41, because she was fat?

by Anonymousreply 4203/01/2011

R41

I was just about to say the same thing. Vanessa's clingy fag hagishness seeped through her pores.

by Anonymousreply 4303/01/2011

Exactly R43, her first boyfriend Robert was totally gay.

by Anonymousreply 4403/02/2011

Whatever happened to that actress who auditioned, this Whitney Houston person?

by Anonymousreply 4503/23/2013

Hope you all know what a pig Saint Bill Cosby was in real life.

by Anonymousreply 4603/23/2013

He is 75 now.

by Anonymousreply 4703/23/2013

If that old fuck had known what was best for himself, he'd of cast the lovely and multi-talented Autumn Jackson in the role!

by Anonymousreply 4803/23/2013

I thought Rudy's little friend, Peter, was adorable. I wonder what he looks today. He's about my age.

by Anonymousreply 4903/23/2013

R31, that comment was in the pilot which also featured a drastically different set than the final one (the front door led into a hallway), so we can forgive that as just a test.

People always seem to act like Sondra was added way too late but as pointed out above, she was in the Thanksgiving episode of the first season.

Sondra could be a little too perfect but I liked the fights she and Eldin had plus, when she and Eldin decided to open a camping goods store instead of attending grad school led to a very funny episode.

by Anonymousreply 5003/23/2013

Sondra only existed to showcase Alvin.

And why were all the Cosby kids a different shade of black, with zero resemblance to either parent (or each other)?!

by Anonymousreply 5103/23/2013

Eldon? Eldin?

I always thought it was Elvin.

by Anonymousreply 5203/23/2013

Rudy and her little friend Peter, ruined the blender.

Yet it was Vanessa and Theo who got in trouble!

by Anonymousreply 5303/23/2013

There are a bunch of Where are they now? at the link, R49. Peter is #39/40. Cute bear now.

by Anonymousreply 5403/23/2013

i apologize if someone already mentioned this, but first choice for Sondra was Vanessa Williams. They decided no after the Miss America fiasco.

by Anonymousreply 5503/23/2013

Sondra was so stuck up and treated Elvin like crap.

I loathed it when Claire would talk in that condescending way. So annoying.

by Anonymousreply 5603/23/2013

Wait, I want to hear more from r19. That's hilarious. How old was your dad?

by Anonymousreply 5703/23/2013

[quote]Denise was always my fav, since she dressed so different. My friends and I wanted everything in her closet. She was a cool chick!!

Really, I thought her style was horrendous. I think if the show had premiered 20 years later, there would have been episode called "Denise and Reality TV: Denise becomes a contestant on WHAT NOT TO WEAR."

by Anonymousreply 5803/23/2013

His name was Elvin. Eldon was Murphy Brown's painter.

by Anonymousreply 5903/23/2013

[quote]Denise was always my fav, since she dressed so different. My friends and I wanted everything in her closet.

Are you girls?

by Anonymousreply 6103/23/2013

Tempest Bledsoe and Keisha Knight Pulliam were genuinely talented child actors. Whatsisname who played Theo was okay but couldn't be funny on his own.

Sabrina Lebeefcurtains was barely adequate (she wasn't funny at all), but Lisa Bonet was genuinely dreadful--Bonet in particular was like a vacuum on the scream. She was pretty but had no presence whatsoever, and could not generate a laugh to save her life.

Little Raven-Symone was a freak, like Ricky Seagull on "The Partridge Family" or whoever played Dodie on "My Three Sons." She was adorable but appalling simultaneously. I was amazed when I found out she had grown up and had acquired genuine acting skills and genuine comic talent--as a child all she could do was recite lines and mug.

by Anonymousreply 6203/23/2013

THE COSBY SHOW became very Afrocentric from 1989 to the end of the show, what with Denise going to Africa (never stated specifically where, haha) and returning with Olivia and dressing her in traditional African garb, and Elvin and Sondra naming their twins Nelson and Winnie. (The twins storyline took place around the time of Nelon Mandela's release from prison in 1990 after twenty-odd years.) They also had some South African activist suddenly dropping by in some episode.

by Anonymousreply 6303/23/2013

They should have brought on a retard cousin who shook like Jell-O. It would have been a great tie-in.

by Anonymousreply 6403/23/2013

Does anyone remember the episode in which Cliff gave birth to this very long hoagie? It was a dream sequence about men giving birth instead of women.

by Anonymousreply 6503/23/2013

[quote]Does anyone remember the episode in which Cliff gave birth to this very long hoagie? It was a dream sequence about men giving birth instead of women.

Yes! It was called "The Day the Spores Landed." Theo gave birth to a car, and Martin to a sailboat. Cliff had twins, in fact -- the hoagie, and moments later the 2-liter bottle of orange soda. haha

by Anonymousreply 6603/23/2013

Lisa Bonet frequently had this bored/dazed look on her face like she just awoke from a nap.

by Anonymousreply 6703/23/2013

It was a look of ecstasy from banging the ultra hot Lenny Kravitz.

by Anonymousreply 6803/23/2013

R66

Thanks! LOL. I'd forgotten about the 2 litter of cola.

by Anonymousreply 6903/23/2013

Ultra hot is not something I'd use to describe serial plagiarist and talentless Mr. Kravitz

by Anonymousreply 7003/23/2013

[quote]Tempest Bledsoe and Keisha Knight Pulliam were genuinely talented child actors. Whatsisname who played Theo was okay but couldn't be funny on his own.

[quote]Sabrina Lebeefcurtains was barely adequate (she wasn't funny at all), but Lisa Bonet was genuinely dreadful--Bonet in particular was like a vacuum on the scream. She was pretty but had no presence whatsoever, and could not generate a laugh to save her life.

Interesting that Keisha, Lisa, and Malcolm-Jamal were the only kids to get Emmy noms. Poor Vanessa always getting the shaft. haha

by Anonymousreply 7103/23/2013

[quote]THE COSBY SHOW became very Afrocentric from 1989 to the end of the show

That's also when ratings took a nose dive.

by Anonymousreply 7203/23/2013

R71

Wait wait wait....

Keisha, Lisa and Malcolm got Emmy noms?

by Anonymousreply 7303/23/2013

Yeah, they were all nominated for the second season. Malcolm was nominated alongside Tom Preson (NEWHART), John Ratzenberger & George Wendt (CHEERS), but they lost to John Larroquette (NIGHT COURT). Lisa and Keisha were nominated with Julia Duffy(NEWHART), Justine Bateman (FAMILY TIES), Estelle Getty (THE GOLDEN GIRLS), with Rhea Perlman (CHEERS) winning.

I also remembered that Cosby was never nominated for the show. WTF?

by Anonymousreply 7403/23/2013

R63 To be fair, the "African garb" look was popular with black people back in the late 80's/early 90's. Also, I don't see why it was wrong for the show becoming "Afrocentric". It was a nice change for once having a sitcom with a sophisticated black family instead of the usual buffoonery black sitcoms like Good Times and Sanford and Son.

R72 Not true. In '88-'89 and '89-'90, it was #1 in the ratings and in '90-'91 it only dropped to #5. It wasn't until it's last season in '91-'92 that the ratings dropped drastically and that was because they ruined it by firing Lisa Bonet and also by focusing on new characters Olivia and Pam instead of the original cast. It had totally jumped the shark at that point. Denise was completely gone from the show, yet her husband and step-daughter were still on? It made no sense. Plus, nobody gave a shit about Pam.

by Anonymousreply 7503/23/2013

R75

While there's nothing wrong with a show being Afro-Centric one could make the argument that it felt out of place for a show to do that since its original premise centered around a typical family that just happened to be black.

In fact, it seemed that the series went out of its way to walk the line of rarely having story lines dealing with their race to having it be all about their race in later seasons.

by Anonymousreply 7603/23/2013

The way I under stood it, Cosby wanted four children in the series. Three daughters and a son. He was torn between Bonet and Lebeouf to play the eldest daughter but he went with Bonet.

In the very first episode (the pilot) he asks Claire `Why do we have four kids" and she answers "because we didn't want five"

He decided to write in a role for Leboeuf and a few mentions of 'Sondra' away at college were added to the scripts and then in the Thanksgiving episode she came home, having just broke up with Elvin (and the Gag about Elvin was that he was ultra-sexist) .

by Anonymousreply 7703/23/2013

R76 I disagree. I still think the reason the ratings tanked in the last season was because they got rid of Denise, and focused on Olivia (who was so damn annoying) and Pam (who was so random and nobody gave a shit about).

by Anonymousreply 7803/23/2013

Bill Cosby is such an angry man. Terrible what happened to his son though.

by Anonymousreply 7903/23/2013

He decided to write in a role for Leboeuf because Lisa, Tempest, and Keisha was too young to fuck, and Phylicia was too old.

by Anonymousreply 8003/23/2013

[quote]He decided to write in a role for Leboeuf and a few mentions of 'Sondra' away at college were added to the scripts and then in the Thanksgiving episode she came home, having just broke up with Elvin (and the Gag about Elvin was that he was ultra-sexist) .

In that episode, Sondra also kept singing that ridiculous song in her bedroom: "The flowers have died / There is no morning dew / The crickets know no love songs / And I feel so blue!" haha

If I recall, it was mentioned that she and Elvin had just broken up for the umpteenth time. That's why she was forlorn.

by Anonymousreply 8103/23/2013

Sondra the non laugh getter.

by Anonymousreply 8203/23/2013

Cosby was such a sleaze,always making passes at Lisa Bonet.

by Anonymousreply 8303/23/2013

R78

I didn't say it had anything to do with the ratings. I just said the reason it seemed odd was because they had spent the majority of the run playing up the "we're a normal family that just happens to be black and therefore we rarely mention that we we're black."

by Anonymousreply 8403/23/2013

In an interview, Ice-T said that real black people could not relate to The Cosby Show. He said it wasn't realistic. The mother would never celebrate that her daughter got her period with a "woman's day". She would likely have screamed at her about not becoming pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 8503/23/2013

Ice T has lost his street cred though.

by Anonymousreply 8603/23/2013

R85 But I guess "real" black people can relate to his "reality" show, huh?

by Anonymousreply 8803/23/2013

r85 Ice Tea is a disgusting sexist and self-hating black man. Don't take anything he says seriously.

by Anonymousreply 8903/23/2013

Does anyone remember the abstinence campaign commercials Tempestt Bledsoe did? I'd love to see one again.

by Anonymousreply 9003/23/2013

[quote]In an interview, Ice-T said that real black people could not relate to The Cosby Show. He said it wasn't realistic.

I'm black and I agree with Ice-T. Like with gays, television often has difficulty capturing black people accurately, either making us buffoons (JJ Evans) or "whitewashing" us into blandness (the Huxtables). I have the exact same feelings as a gay man watching us portrayed either as thoughtless, selfish clowns (Jack McFarland) or fey, sexless creatures drained of any connection to the "dreaded" gay lifestyle so that straight audiences will find us acceptable (Will Truman or, more recently, either gay couple from MODERN FAMILY or THE NEW NORMAL).

Though I'm not sitting back waiting for a "perfect" representation of either blacks or gays on tv, I just don't like the extremes producers often go to in an effort to make us palatable for mainstream audiences. Write us as real people instead of caricatures and the rest will take care of itself.

by Anonymousreply 9103/23/2013

Cosby Show really was a head scratcher, if you think about it. I grew up in Orange County, CA, the whitest place on the planet, and every single one of my little white friends (I was born in 1980, don't remember when the show first aired) HAD to watch the show. It just goes to show, sometimes we can confuse "racism" for "socio-economic status-ism".

by Anonymousreply 9203/23/2013

[quote]I was born in 1980, don't remember when the show first aired

September 1984.

by Anonymousreply 9303/23/2013

For example. The episode where Theo was caught with a joint. He risked life and limb to drag home the bully responsible for putting the joint in his book. All because he was so worried his parents would never trust him again.

by Anonymousreply 9403/23/2013

I always assumed "Sondra" was added as sort of an "insurance policy"/subtle warning to keep Lisa Bonet in line. Like "Dynasty's" producers laughably tried to do with Kate O'Mara's character because they didn't want to pay Joan Collins what she was really worth to the show.

I wonder what actresses like Lisa Bonet and Mackenzie Phillips think when it finally dawns on them that they screwed themselves out of millions of dollars and financial security for life by blowing opportunity after opportunity to straighten up and read a few lines a week on 22 episodes a year of a sitcom.

by Anonymousreply 9503/23/2013

[quote]Lisa Bonet frequently had this bored/dazed look on her face like she just awoke from a nap.

I remember the night Lisa Bonet co-hosted Friday Night Videos (how long ago was that???) and told the story of how, at the audition for The Cosby Show, this other young actress there was throwing major shade at everyone because she thought she had the role of Denise in the bag. Lisa said she tried being friendly with her but the girl was having NONE of it.

How fun it must have been for that girl's parents talking her down off that ledge after Bonet got the part.

by Anonymousreply 9603/24/2013

[quote]I remember the night Lisa Bonet co-hosted Friday Night Videos (how long ago was that???)

I recall that well. She was with Malcolm Jamal-Whatever and she had stared off with glassy eyes and hardly spoke. She was clearly stoned.

by Anonymousreply 9703/24/2013

Naming the twins Nelson and Winnie was just ridiculous.

Nothing makes a show jump the shark quicker than pc absurdness.

by Anonymousreply 9803/24/2013

It is possible for two dark skinned parents to have a light-skinned child, considering Claire's parents were light-skinned. My mom and dad are both light-skinned and I'm a shade darker than them.

by Anonymousreply 9903/24/2013

The way I try to explain it to white people r99, is think of skin tone in blacks as eye and hair color in whites. You'll see siblings of varying shades in one family.

by Anonymousreply 10003/24/2013

The show jumped the shark when Sondra's twins became possessed and Father Tim had to exorcise them. And then Cliff was kidnapped by aliens and a sex-mad double took his place, impregnating a horned-up Claire.

by Anonymousreply 10103/24/2013

I don't think Sandra added anything to the show. They should have left it at 4 children. I think the show went way downhill when Denise/Lisa Bonet left. I really didn't like the later years with Olivia and cousin Pam. It was like Roseanne when they added all the superfluous characters.

I loved Denise when I was a kid and watched it in original airings. In reruns, I realize how funny Vanessa was the first few years. She was the best character the first 2 seasons and Rudy was adorable. She was natural whereas they were trying too hard with Raven Symone.

As far as the color, the only time I took notice is when a black comedian, I can't remember who, mentioned it in their routine. They didn't believe 2 dark parents would have kids as light as Denise and Sandra.

by Anonymousreply 10203/24/2013

r98 I just finally caught that reference. Dear I am slow.

by Anonymousreply 10303/24/2013

[quote]It is possible for two dark skinned parents to have a light-skinned child, considering Claire's parents were light-skinned. My mom and dad are both light-skinned and I'm a shade darker than them.

Clair's mother was light-skinned, as was Cliff's father, so it's reasonable that they could've had some very light or dark children. Incidentally, on the other side of the spectrum, there was a woman, Sandra Laing, who was dark-skinned but was born to two Afrikaners in apartheid-era South Africa.

A lot of African-Americans are descended from slavery and have white/black genes since rape was rampant. Also, there were instances when whites and blacks would intermarry like the late centenarian sisters Bessie & Sadie Delaney's maternal grandparents (white grandfather, black grandmother). They had 10 brothers and sisters of various shades, and their youngest, baby brother was very light with light-colored eyes.

Malcolm X's mother was said to be very light-skinned that she could've "passed," but she chose to marry a very black man. Malcolm X himself was light-skinned and had reddish hair and as a young man he was known as "Detroit Red."

by Anonymousreply 10403/24/2013

[quote]A lot of African-Americans are descended from slavery and have white/black genes since rape was rampant.

The same could be said for white Americans, btw. A lot of them carry African genes and some have had very dark-skinned great-great-grandparents.

by Anonymousreply 10503/24/2013

My personal favorite was BUD

by Anonymousreply 10603/24/2013

Cosby) This is your grandfather

Vanessa) But we already have three grandfathers?

Cobsy) But this one is a great jazz musician

Vanessa) Oh they all are

by Anonymousreply 10703/24/2013

Carsey and Werner originally wanted the Claire and Cliff to be working class types, but Bill Cosby pushed for the whole doctor husband and lawyer wife set up. Later on, when the Roseanne sitcom became hugely successful, Cosby complained about some of the content to Carsey and Werner. Roseanne found out about that and feuded with Cosby and it was rumored that she told him that her sitcom had more realism than his show smug upper middle class show.

by Anonymousreply 10803/24/2013

Speaking of jazz (and by that I mean the blues), there was an episode where Vanessa exclaimed that she hated the blues. Cliff and Clair were shocked and dismayed. I don't really remember the episode or the subplot(s), but at the end the entire family goes to listen to a famous blues musician (who just happened to be a family friend, as they always tended to be, haha) and out of the blue Vanessa has a change of heart and begins applauding and hollering at the end of the performance. Clair gives her a look as if to say smugly, "I thought you didn't like the blues?"

The point is, by the end Vanessa had been converted. I hated that! What's wrong with a teenager not liking the same music as their parents? In fact, it's realistic that they wouldn't share the same tastes.

by Anonymousreply 10903/24/2013

If I recall correctly she was in the pilot or an early episode and then not used again. One day she came to the set and was like "hey remember me" and she became more of a regular.

I thought the dynamic between Clair and ELVIN (why do we keep saying Eldon?) were some of my favorite moments.

Cousin Pam was an added edition when the show was almost over. It was very Cousin Oliver.

by Anonymousreply 11003/24/2013

[quote]I grew up in Orange County, CA, the whitest place on the planet, and every single one of my little white friends (I was born in 1980, don't remember when the show first aired) HAD to watch the show. It just goes to show, sometimes we can confuse "racism" for "socio-economic status-ism".

I was 8 when it premiered it and went to a 98% white school (the other 2% were Latino and Asian - zero African-Americans) and it was just one of the shows you HAD to watch back then along with Growning Pains, Who's The Boss, 227, etc...

Color never really seemed to play a role in it. You just watched it because it was funny and something to talk about the next day at school.

by Anonymousreply 11103/24/2013

Totally, R111. That was what was so amazing about it. But looking back, it seems odd it wasn't a bigger deal. Maybe it was, but as a young kid, I missed it.

by Anonymousreply 11203/24/2013

R85 R91 I think the better question to ask is; how much realism should one expect from a 30 minute network situation comedy. I watched a great deal of situation comedies as child. I grew up in the 1980's. They were great entertainment but I don't know that I would describe any of them as a completely accurate portrayal of real life. I watched the Golden Girls every Saturday night. How many elderly women do I know that live like Blanch, Dorothy, Rose and Sophia. I know none. I absolutely loved Mr. Belevedere. How many middle class people have I known that have a live in butler? I haven't known any. There has to be a mix of real life and something extra to make it worth watching. Most American households don't contain two parents that have lucrative prestigious careers. Most Americans don't have legendary Jazz musicians dropping bye to visit. Therefore most American families couldn't necessarily identify with those aspects of the show. However there was so much more to the show that all races and classes could identify with and that is what made the show such a tremendous success. As far as the Huxtable affluence goes, if you weren't affluent but wanted to be; it gave you something to aspire to. That's not to say that there weren't and aren't black people who are as affluent as the Huxtables. My dentist is black and his wife was an attorney. She's now a judge. As I mentioned before you don't find that in the majority of households of any race in this country. Most of the country is made up of middle class people and a great deal of that has eroded. The show however also represented experiences that are very unique to the black community. I grew up in a black neighborhood filled with educators (teachers and administrators) The majority of my neighbors went to historically black colleges. They belonged to black fraternities and sororities. The show tirelessly championed HBCU's. The black community and for the most part only the black community can identify with the pride and joy of attending an HBCU. So as a black man I disagree with your assessment. I'm not going to pretend to speak for all black people but the black people that I know could identify with the show. As far as Ice T goes; the majority of black people that I know cannot identify with him. I don't know any former pimps, turned rapper, turned actor, turned reality star. Ice T is a hoodlum The people that he referenced are probably also hoodlums. The black people that I know are not hoodlums. The Cosby show like most sitcoms gave us enough real life to identify with and enough fantasy to keep it interesting.

by Anonymousreply 11303/24/2013

Tempestt Bledsoe took over from Niecy Nash on "Clean House", which I always thought was a fun show.

"Clean House" doesn't appear to be listed on STYLE's lineup any longer, I guess that TV station is content showing crap like "Jerseylicious" and other reality show nonsense.

Tempestt is currently on the Jimmy Fallon produced show, IIRC, it's called "Guys With Kids", but I have no idea how it's doing in the ratings, the few times I watched it, it wasn't very funny.

by Anonymousreply 11403/24/2013

The racist Bill Cosby ruined it. I didn't have fraternal twin siblings named Eva and Adolf, because that would be stupid, get it, Bill?

by Anonymousreply 11503/24/2013

why are they criminals?

by Anonymousreply 11603/24/2013

My favorite espisode was when Rudy and Vanessa are both made to live in the basement after Clair and Cliff get sick of them fighting all the time.

by Anonymousreply 11703/24/2013

The Cosby Show was so popular that those Miami bitches wouldn't even have a funeral for me on Thursday.

by Anonymousreply 11803/24/2013

Racists. You can't stand the thought of another black actress making it.

by Anonymousreply 11903/24/2013

Ate you saying Claire should've had an abortion, OP?

by Anonymousreply 12003/24/2013

Does anyone else find it hard to believe that Phylicia Rashad was only 36 when the show started? She looked WAY older. You would never see a 36 year old professional female dressing so frumpy or matronly today.

by Anonymousreply 12103/24/2013

[quote]She looked WAY older. You would never see a 36 year old professional female dressing so frumpy or matronly today.

Why, you'd think she was purposefully dressing that way to make herself look older! It's as if she were playing a part!

by Anonymousreply 12203/24/2013

R122 She looked and dressed old even outside of the show.

by Anonymousreply 12303/24/2013

Denise and Lisa Bonet was something special. She really stood out among the Huxtuble bunch and it showed. I know Bill Cosby didn't like her behavior in her personal life but 1) it truly was none of his business. 2) She made the show.

The season without Denise felt wrong and Cosby knew it. That's why he invited her back. I'm truly surprised Lisa Bonet didn't become a huge star after the show ended. I guess she didn't care about stardom.

by Anonymousreply 12403/24/2013

Her nipples are a wonderland in Angel Heart.

by Anonymousreply 12503/24/2013

Bill Cosby and his sweaters, gotta love it!

by Anonymousreply 12603/24/2013

Am I the only one who hated the decor in their house? It always looked so stiff and not relaxing at all. Plus, there was so much beige.

by Anonymousreply 12703/24/2013

[quote]Bill Cosby and his sweaters, gotta love it!

I fucking HATED those grandpa sweaters he'd always wear! Both him and Clair always dressed more like grandparents than parents.

by Anonymousreply 12803/24/2013

I think A Different World was the better show.

by Anonymousreply 12903/24/2013

r124, Lisa Bonet returned to the show, but "creative differences" caused her to be fired again. She was not there for the final episode. Instead, we got a phone call from Denise (never seen) in which she announced she was pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 13003/24/2013

Sabrina Le Beauf aka "Sondra" looks great for being in her 50's.

by Anonymousreply 13103/24/2013

Black don't crack honey... even mixed black

by Anonymousreply 13203/24/2013

Omg...she's in her 50s??? Looks 30 years old. Crazy genetics.

by Anonymousreply 13303/24/2013

R133 Yep, she's 55 - about 5 months older than Madonna.

by Anonymousreply 13403/24/2013

Dont flame me for this but I liked Dr Huxtable's fat ass when I was a teen during the sitcom's airing. It was a nice big black muscular ass and I imagined him to have a nice big black dick. And I imagined that big black ass jiggling as he pounded his big black dick in my boy hole.... he's old and disgusting now, but he had a nicely built middle age body during the mid 80s

by Anonymousreply 13503/24/2013

"Plus, nobody gave a shit about Pam."

Damn, that's cold! But true.

by Anonymousreply 13603/24/2013

In the early 80s, people spoke of Yuppies, (Young Urban Professionals), Guppies (Gay Urban Professionals) and Bumpies (Black Upwardly Mobile Professionals).

The show was praised for showing an educated and successful black family (Bumpies). Then as the 80s progressed, the show was criticized as 'unrealistic'.

I recall a lot of criticism centered around the lovely sweaters they always wore... but never seemed to have to hand wash.

by Anonymousreply 13703/24/2013

Why does Shia LaBeouf refuse to talk about his past as a Cosby kid? Is he ashamed?

by Anonymousreply 13803/24/2013

[quote]The show was praised for showing an educated and successful black family (Bumpies). Then as the 80s progressed, the show was criticized as 'unrealistic'.

The white 80's sitcoms were just as unrealistic - how many people did you know in real life (regardless of color) that lived in huge, spacious houses like the ones on Who's The Boss, Growing Pains, Mr. Belvedere, and Full House?

Besides, it's TV - televison is supposed to take you out of reality.

by Anonymousreply 13903/24/2013

I wonder how much debt they were in... med school, law school, 5 kids and so on.

Was Cousin Pam added as some sort of response to some people who complained that the family didn't represent most black Americans?

by Anonymousreply 14003/24/2013

The intros got ridiculous after a while. Raven Symone's outfit looked like it was eating her. Why did they dress her in that African garb?

by Anonymousreply 14103/24/2013

The show never ignored black culture to become more afrocentric at the end. The early seasons had episodes dedicated to the grandparents reminiscing about the 1963 March on Washington and the episode when Rudy was randomly watching DR. Kings "I Had a Dream" speech on TV - after Denise and Vanessa had their fight.

My favorite season was the (first) Apollo season- before they had to rerun the opening another season. When the whole family was together again and before Pam. The Thanksgiving episode from that year is one of my favorites.

by Anonymousreply 14203/30/2013

Erika Alexander as Pam was like Sarah Chalke as becky. Two actresses with uninteresting roles who only showed how much better they were in later projects.

by Anonymousreply 14303/30/2013

They weren't randomly watching Dr. King's speech. The year that episode took place was the first year that Martin Luther King's Bday was declared a national holiday.

by Anonymousreply 14403/30/2013

Yes, but it was random because it had nothing to do with the main storyline, which was about Vanessa getting a D and her stealing Denise's sweater. Just when all that was resolved, the family walks into the living room where Rudy (who'd been told to go to bed long ago) is watching MLK's speech, so the family silently sits down and watches, too. The End.

It felt tacked on and out of place with the rest of the episode. Perhaps if they'd done an episode or a subplot which concerned the passing of the bill, then the ending wouldn't seem odd.

by Anonymousreply 14503/31/2013

[quote]The white 80's sitcoms were just as unrealistic - how many people did you know in real life (regardless of color) that lived in huge, spacious houses like the ones on Who's The Boss, Growing Pains, Mr. Belvedere, and Full House?

Let's see

"Who's The Boss" Angela was the VICE PRESIDENT of a company. Yeah they never make much.

"Growing Pains" the father was a PSYCHIATRIST, they only make like four or five HUNDRED dollars an hour.

"Mr Belvedere," the father was a columnist and later on air TV personality. They don't make anything do they?

"Full House," the father was a host of a major morning show in the fifth largest media market in the nation. He probably also had a large insurance policy on his wife so the house was paid off when she died.

So DUMBASS all your examples are wrong.

You're such a DUMBASS, it's comical

Oh yeah by the way did I mention you're a DUMBASS?

by Anonymousreply 14603/31/2013

R146 That continues to prove the point you vapid fuck - that in the 80's, there were so many shows that most people couldn't relate to because the characters were so well-off and they all seemed to have high-profile, professional careers.

by Anonymousreply 14703/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.