Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gwyneth Paltrow OVER: Country Strong Comes In At 4th Place

1. True Grit (Paramount) Week 3 [3,124 Theaters] Friday $4M, Estimated Weekend $13.5M, Estimated Cume $109M

2. Little Fockers (Universal) Week 3 [3,675 Theaters] Friday $3.6M, Estimated Weekend $13.2M, Estimated Cume $123.5M

3. Season Of The Witch (Relativity) NEW [2,816 Theaters] Friday $3.6M, Estimated Weekend $9.2M

4. Country Strong (Screen Gems/Sony) Week [1,424 Theaters] Friday $2.6M, Estimated Weekend $7.5M

5. Tron: Legacy 3D (Disney) Week 4 [3,013 Theaters] Friday $2.5M, Estimated Weekend $8M, Estimated Cume $146.1M

6. Black Swan (Fox Searchlight) Week 6 [1,584 Theaters] Friday $2.3M, Estimated Weekend $7.5M, Estimated Cume $60.6M

7. The Fighter (Relativity/Paramount) Week 5 [2,528 Theaters] Friday $2M, Estimated Weekend $6.5M, Estimated Cume $57.3M

8. The King's Speech (The Weinstein Co) Week 7 [758 Theaters] Friday $1.7M, Estimated Weekend $5.5M, Estimated Cume $32M

9. Yogi Bear 3D (Warner Bros) Week 4 [3,288 Theaters] Friday $1.1M, Estimated Weekend $5.2M, Estimated Cume $74M

10. Chronicles Of Narnia 3D (Fox) Week 5 [2,814 Theaters] Friday $1M, Estimated Cume $4.7M, Estimated Cume $94.8M

by Anonymousreply 7308/18/2013

And the cume estimates drop it to 6th place, below Tron and Black Swan.

What will Gwynnie do?

by Anonymousreply 101/08/2011

Ha ha!

by Anonymousreply 201/08/2011

CS is in less theaters than the other movies.

by Anonymousreply 301/08/2011

Estimated Weekend $7.5M?

That is great BO for a piece of shit with Gwyneth Paltrow!

by Anonymousreply 401/08/2011

She is too thin to be a girl from the south. Those country chicks EAT!

by Anonymousreply 501/08/2011

Maryhartistan, R6.

by Anonymousreply 701/08/2011

Planet Goop, r6.

by Anonymousreply 801/08/2011

There's even an article in TIME magazine this week (God how I miss when TIME used to be more news based) about "why do people hate Gwyneth"?

by Anonymousreply 901/08/2011

Here's the article R9.

[quote]In the unfortunately weak Country Strong, Gwyneth Paltrow plays country-and-western singer Kelly Canter, an alcoholic. She struts, sings, swills, sleeps around and in some truly perilous acting moments, intended to be rich with metaphor, cradles an orphaned baby bird. Anytime an actress steps this far out of her comfort zone, without a strong script to support her, she has to hope audiences are on her side. And they might be, if this were Sandra Bullock, say, or perhaps Jennifer Garner. But this is Paltrow, the American actress whose achievements seem to have piled up in reverse proportion to the goodwill she inspires. If there's an opposite of America's Sweetheart, she's it.

[quote]When word got out that she'd be making a guest appearance on Glee in November, Gleeks viewed this as an invasion; the woman Britain's Daily Mail once called "the blonde bore" seemed more likely to be a slushie thrower than a kindred spirit to the glee club's misfits. She then proceeded to turn in such a solid performance as a suspiciously perfect substitute teacher (a spoof of her own image; clearly she has a sense of humor) that even her detractors had a hard time denying she was great. Still, the praise had an edge: the New York Times noted that her performance all but erased the recent perception of her as a "smug, unbearable scold." Note the all but. The woman who is clearly one of life's winners can't seem to get ahead in the public-opinion polls.

[quote]A lack of humility may be the issue %E2%80%94 that and the dangers of taking your act cross-platform. The very existence of her website suggests Paltrow assumes we are eager to sit at her knee. She has said she wants to share the wealth of opportunities she's had %E2%80%94 from talking novels with Christy Turlington to staying at the best hotels %E2%80%94 and she does, magnanimously, in e-mail newsletters signed, "love, GP." The implication is, Of course you'd like to be me. Her lifestyle-guru identity, combined with the cookbook she's got coming out in April, suggests Paltrow aspires to be an object of emulation, an Oprah with an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 1001/08/2011

She became too British and began to slag off America and act like a snob because she was living in cultured London.

If you want to keep on top of the Hollywood game, you have to stay in LA or NY. She left a long time ago and her career left with her.

by Anonymousreply 1101/08/2011

Jennifer Garner?!? Do people really like her?

by Anonymousreply 1201/08/2011

Gwyneth Paltrow is not over, her movie isn't even in 2,000 theaters. She is in a hit movie, get over it.

by Anonymousreply 1301/09/2011

Paltrow is a snobby, anti American piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 1401/09/2011

So is Kate Hudson

by Anonymousreply 1501/09/2011

Maybe Gwyneth and Kate Hudson are resented because of NEPOTISM!

by Anonymousreply 1601/09/2011

I never knew Gwynnie was a major box office draw.

by Anonymousreply 1701/09/2011

She looks too young to play the Bette Davis role in a country western version of ALL ABOUT EVE...%0D %0D The movie looked like too much Oscar bait with the country western theme( like that Jeff Bridges film from last year) and casting Tim McGraw from THE BLIND Side...

by Anonymousreply 1801/09/2011

>>CS is in less theaters than the other movie

oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 1901/09/2011

"And they might be, if this were Sandra Bullock, say, or perhaps Jennifer Garner."%0D %0D This made me laugh. When have either of these women given edgy performances or stepped out of their comfort zones? At least Paltrow tries.

by Anonymousreply 2001/09/2011

She's been over for a long time now. Her last decent film was The Talented Mr. Ripley and that was 11 fucking years ago.

by Anonymousreply 2101/09/2011

The Emmy has already been engraved for her "Glee" guest spot. She was great.

by Anonymousreply 2201/09/2011

But isn't this first film she's headlined for several years?%0D %0D Yes, playing the girlfriend in "Iron Man" gave her some visibility, but is she still A Star in her own right? Well, from the amount of publicity she's been putting into this dishrag of a movie, you'd think it was her last chance.

by Anonymousreply 2301/09/2011

She is Grace-Kelly-ice-blond without any redeeming beauty. Or talent.

by Anonymousreply 2401/09/2011

I forgot about "Glee," r22. You're correct. Maybe her talent is well-suited to television.

by Anonymousreply 2501/09/2011

"She is in a hit movie, get over it."

Bullshit, hit movies make 4 or 5 times more money during first weekend.

Country Strong is very cheap so it will make some profit, but with 17% at Rotten Tomatoes this crap won't help her career.

by Anonymousreply 2601/09/2011

True Grit (2010)t$15,000,000t$110,430,022 Little Fockerst$13,800,000t$124,000,515 Season of the Witcht$10,726,000t$10,726,000 TRON: Legacyt$9,803,000t$147,925,418 Black Swant$8,350,000t$61,455,493 Country Strongt$7,300,000t$7,437,289 The Fightert$7,000,000t$57,844,442 The King's Speecht$6,811,400t$33,293,658 Yogi Beart$6,810,000t$75,605,521 Tangledt$5,200,000

by Anonymousreply 2701/09/2011

Actually, her last interesting film was the 1996 mega bomb, "Hush". Camp and cheese to the Nth degree and featuring Johnathan Schaech as her dimwitted, pretty hubby and Jesscia Lange filleting the scenery as the mother-in-law from Tartarus, it's a must see. Fishsticks has never been remotely interesting in anything since, unless you count her hilarious late 90's guest appearance on "SNL"

by Anonymousreply 2801/09/2011

She is so non-country, the trailer park cubefraus are not being fooled. Her and Reese W. shold have switched their latest roles.

by Anonymousreply 2901/09/2011

6. Country Strongt$7,300,000t

by Anonymousreply 3001/09/2011

Has anyone else noticed that at least for the past 3-4 weeks, they've promoted that movie with absolutely NO shots of Paltrow? They were marketing to Leighton Meister fans. The marketing was so contrary to earlier efforts, I almost thought it was an entirely different movie.

by Anonymousreply 3101/09/2011

Paltrow is hosting SNL next week...too little too late.

by Anonymousreply 3201/09/2011

In the clips I've seen from the movie, Paltrow's singing and dancing is incredibly self-conscious and awkward.

And, she seems to think she can do a country drawl if she just refuses to move her mouth when she speaks.

And the previous poster is right-- she didn't get heavy enough to portray the character in a physically convincing way.

She's too vain to be a real character actor; no longer young and cute enough to get by on youth and "newness."

I wonder what will become of her acting career. She has some talent, but she is also very entitled, shallow, and spoiled-- too much so to become a "real" actor in her middle age.

by Anonymousreply 3301/09/2011

"I wonder what will become of her acting career."%0D %0D She'd be perfect for a Mary Tyler Moore-style sitcom, with her girl-next-door awkwardness vs. a gruff boss. But her ego won't let her do TV.

by Anonymousreply 3401/09/2011

"I wonder what will become of her acting career."%0D %0D I don't think Spielberg's goddaughter will ever entirely vanish from the screen, but once she passes forty she will be forced to accept the status of a character actor. She'll play mostly society ladies, because she'll never have much range, and producers will hire her because she'll give a decent performance and publicize the hell out of any film she's in.%0D %0D I think she's seen this coming for a while, which is why she started that GOOP nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 3501/09/2011

"This made me laugh. When have either of these women given edgy performances or stepped out of their comfort zones?"%0D %0D Bullock has several times. Did you forget the oscar she won for "Blind Side", which, unlike Paltrow's, was actually deserved? %0D %0D Paltrow has big connections in the business (Weinsteins, Spielberg) Don't kid yourself that she's lasted this long because of her talent.

by Anonymousreply 3601/09/2011

People have hated her long before she ill-advisedly and inexplicably launched GOOP.

I remember around the time she won her Oscar, there was an almost psychtic anti-Paltrow piece in Salon that said much more about the author than it did about Gwyneth Paltrow. It was all about how Paltrow reminded the writer of high school, with Paltrow being the beautiful snobby perfect rich girl.

I haven't seen many of her movies, but if you've ever seen her on SNL or chat shows, she seems rather warm and funny. (Her print interviews are a different story. She manages to come up with the worst sound bites. I've never seen a person who comes across so differently in print vs. on TV.)

I think it's more about what she represents rather than herself. She can't escape her look and her upbringing -- ice and nepotism. She just triggers something in the hind brain of people like the Salon writer.

She didn't deserve her Oscar, but then neither did a lot of other people (Reese, Sandra, Julia, Halle, etc.). She's a competent if not inspired actress. If her parents weren't in the business and she made it completely on her own, I don't think people would find her that untalented.

by Anonymousreply 3701/09/2011

#36, you better check that roast in the oven- Cassidee and MaKenzi are hungry.%0D %0D Buttock's turn in Blind Side was a wan, uninspired nothing. A real actress might have salvaged something out of the insipid script. Not even worthy of the Lifetime channel.

by Anonymousreply 3801/09/2011

"Bullock has several times. Did you forget the oscar she won for "Blind Side", which, unlike Paltrow's, was actually deserved?"

Bullock seems like a much nicer person than Paltrow, but she has a much more limited range. She was just OK in the Blind Side.

Paltrow can be boring in films, but she can also be very good, much better than Bullock.

I was really disliking her until I saw her in Glee. Now, I like her again.

by Anonymousreply 3901/09/2011

The funny thing about "Country Strong" is this:

Paltrow is talented enough to have done a great job if she had really immersed herself in the role, full-on method style.

She's a good mimic, and she has had enough heartache in real life (deaths of her father and grandfather very close together) to be able to portray a character's despair.

But she seemed to be half in, half out of the role. There's a vanity and self-consciousness she didn't have when she was younger. It's weird because good actors usually become LESS self-conscious with age.

I wonder how she got along with the director.

by Anonymousreply 4001/09/2011

[quote]>>CS is in less theaters than the other movie

You forgot the "s" at the end of "movie", dear. Something r3 didn't forget.

by Anonymousreply 4101/09/2011

r. 37,%0D %0D How could you forgot one of the MOST undeserved recent Oscars -- Helen Hunt?

by Anonymousreply 4201/09/2011

Her father was Gabrielle Giffords' father's first cousin.

by Anonymousreply 4301/09/2011

The movie cost 3 pennies to make. It's a hit in the sense that anyone who put money in will get their money back.

by Anonymousreply 4401/09/2011

"Shakespeare in Love" was a fucking fluke, face it.

And we've been paying for it ever since.

by Anonymousreply 4501/09/2011

A fluke is an understatement. Winning over "Saving Private Ryan" and "Elizabeth"? That was joke!

by Anonymousreply 4601/09/2011

That's ridiculous. 4th place is a cause for celebration, OP. Not a reason to consider her over.

If anything, her stock has gone up.

And I'm saying this as someone who is not a fan.

by Anonymousreply 4701/09/2011

Black Swan is heading to a 100mil+ gross.

by Anonymousreply 4801/09/2011

I liked her in Sylvia as Sylvia Plath with Daniel Craig as Ted Hughes. She was good and had really matured as an actress.%0D %0D With the exception of the Juliet component, she was dull in Shakespeare In Love. Her best film work remains Emma.

by Anonymousreply 4901/09/2011

Emma? She wasn't bad in that, but that movie was atrocious.

Kate Beckinsale was much better in a better version.

by Anonymousreply 5001/09/2011

yeah, I guess if you like kate bleckingsale, R50. thanks for weighing in, fat ass.

by Anonymousreply 5101/09/2011

[quote]Black Swan is heading to a 100mil+ gross.

It won't get to that will it it's only in 1500 or so theaters.

by Anonymousreply 5201/09/2011

Cuntry Weak.

by Anonymousreply 5301/09/2011

Gwyneth has been good in things before. She was excellent as Sylvia Plath and good in Two Lovers. But has she ever been a box office draw? It seems to me that all of her successful films have been because of a combination of factors not relating to her. If you think about how long ago she had a hit film fourth place now is pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 5401/09/2011

Hated Emma, sorry guys.

by Anonymousreply 5501/09/2011

OP, get back to us when *your* movie is fourth in the country.

by Anonymousreply 5601/09/2011

Total weekend box office puts it in 6th place.

by Anonymousreply 5701/09/2011

Agree with R37 - I've seen Paltrow be warm and funny in interviews, but something happens in translation and she comes across as arrogant and self-absorbed in print. Yet she's not that different to lots of other actors who have unfortunate soundbites ... except that Paltrow engenders this rabid loathing in people that's really OTT and a bit scary, and sothe awkwardness of her soundbites gets magnified. Still, I've seen her in lots of movies over the years and think she has genuine talent - she just doesn't always choose roles that suit her.

by Anonymousreply 5801/10/2011

Gwyneth Paltrow is a good actress and very attractive, but she has no sense of humility.

I recently saw her on Rachael Ray and even though she was well-behaved for the most part, she made it a point of noting that her kids attend an exclusive school in London, so living in Tennessee while filming "Country Strong" was quite the treat.

by Anonymousreply 5901/10/2011

People no longer go to movies based on the actors who are in them. The days of a "star" opening a film a long gone.

by Anonymousreply 6001/10/2011

I don't understand the hatred for Gwyneth Paltrow. That said, I saw Country Strong over the weekend and it's godawful. Congress should pass a law forbidding the writer-director from making another movie. Paltrow must have signed up because the movie gave her an opportunity to sing.

by Anonymousreply 6101/10/2011

She's too boring to like or hate.

Part of her problem I think is that she was literally shoved down peoples throats earlier in her career and to the more psychotic, judgmental loons out there her type[blonde, rich, white] she is easy to hate for really nothing. Any little misstep gets blown up and the loons go right back to HS and college and all [italic]their[/italic] insecurities are laid bare.

by Anonymousreply 6201/10/2011

It's a bigger draw per theater than True Grit, Little Fockers, Season of the Witch, or Tron Legacy.

by Anonymousreply 6301/10/2011

[quote]Bullock has several times. Did you forget the oscar she won for "Blind Side", which, unlike Paltrow's, was actually deserved?

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

by Anonymousreply 6401/10/2011

"Gwyneth Paltrow is not over, her movie isn't even in 2,000 theaters. She is in a hit movie, get over it."%0D %0D Oh, shut up. Her fucking movie isn't a "hit" and it's not going to be. It's gotten universally bad reviews. And who the hell wants to see some movie that's just another version of "Crazy Heart", except that the fucked up country music singer is a female instead of a male. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6501/10/2011

I don't like her at all, and I so wanted her to fail in "Sylvia." But she was very, very good.

by Anonymousreply 6601/10/2011

I can't say it enough: I'm very, very sorry.

by Anonymousreply 6701/10/2011

If she had truly gained 30 or 40 pounds I would consider seeing CS as is, no.

by Anonymousreply 6801/10/2011

"her type[blonde, rich, white] she is easy to hate for really nothing."%0D %0D Yes, when will her suffering end?

by Anonymousreply 6901/10/2011

Whenever I've seen Country Strong advertised on TV during the last couple of weeks the focus seems to be on Leighton Meester. I remember thinking, Isn't this supposed to be Paltrow's movie? I wonder what was up with the advertising? Were they trying to appeal to younger folks (the Gossip Girl gang) or did Gwynnie sense it would flop and asked that the focus be shifted away from her?

by Anonymousreply 7001/10/2011

R62 wrote:%0D %0D Part of her problem I think is that she was literally shoved down peoples throats earlier in her career and to the more psychotic, judgmental loons out there her type[blonde, rich, white] she is easy to hate for really nothing. Any little misstep gets blown up and the loons go right back to HS and college and all their insecurities are laid bare.%0D %0D %0D I couldn't agree more!

by Anonymousreply 7101/10/2011

Whatever was wrong with Country Strong was not really the fault of the 4 main characters. There were some outstanding performances from Goop, Leighton Meester, Garrett Hedlund and Tim McGraw.

by Anonymousreply 7208/18/2013

I agree R72. Tim was especially good. The story had serious structural weaknesses.

by Anonymousreply 7308/18/2013
Need more help? Click Here.