Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Russell T Davies talks Torchwood: Miracle Day

Okay, this sounds potentially very interesting.%0D %0D I had actually written the show off, but the concept, where no one can die, seems like a winner, and potentially meta-commentary on fan reaction to Torchwood: Children of Earth.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 29405/28/2013

It is an interesting idea. Not a new one like RTD claims it to be but an interesting one. However if this is a problem that plays over days, weeks or months there would not be this instant population boom like RTD is talking about unless Capt Jack starts impregnating the women of earth in the series. %0D %0D I have to admit I'm losing interest in RTD subverting anything happy or hopeful that was done in the past. This is like he wants to twist the Doctor's happy "Everyone lives!" moment and make it gross.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 101/08/2011

Well, Torchwood has always been kind of existential and brooding. I think that's why, even though I became utterly depressed by the ending, that I liked Children of Earth so much: it played away from the MoW aspects and more into the characters (and helped by some marvelous performances).

by The Voice of the Nightreply 201/08/2011

"This is like he wants to twist the Doctor's happy 'Everyone lives!' moment and make it gross."%0D %0D I'm confused - can you clarify a little, R1?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 301/08/2011

Doctor Who > Torchwood

by The Voice of the Nightreply 401/08/2011

"Torchwood" has its problems, but it's far superior to "Doctor Who". The juvenile "Doctor Who" makes most American television look like Shakespeare.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 501/08/2011

there was some t.v. series in the 90s, like a Twilight Zone type show that dealt with this exact same premise. A woman wishes that people don't die and then she realizes what she's done when burn victims show up in the hospital unable to die etc.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 601/08/2011

No, R5, when it comes to writing, acting, music-in fact, all aspects of production-Dr. Who is Shakespeare compared to most American programs. Have you ever noticed that NCIS, etc. are the same shows, with the same characters, played by different actors? Dr. Who has imagination, humor, and style that US shows cannot begin to capture.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 701/08/2011

It's just a personal feeling I have r3. I remember when the e"Everybody lives!" moment happened, yes it was a bit cheesy but it was nice to have a moment of where it was just a happy ending to a really dreary circumstance. Hell, London during WWII was dreary enought. %0D And as soon as I heard about the new storyline for Torchwood series 4, I thought about those lines. Except that from the sounds of it, it's "Everybody lives... to be torchered!" From what I'm reading nobody dies, but nobody stops dying either. The sick on the verge of death are still left that way.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 801/09/2011

[quote]"Torchwood" has its problems, but it's far superior to "Doctor Who".

Dr. Who is a family show. Even in the UK there are limits what you can show at a family friendly show. Torchwood is for the more adult audience (The Sarah Jane Adventures is for the kiddie audience).

by The Voice of the Nightreply 901/09/2011

For an adult show the maturity was really lacking. At least in the first series. There were way to many "look at us using bad words and having sex! That's cause were grownup!" moments. It felt as grown up as that college kid living in the parent garage. The show really obviously needed DW's connections to get made but it was trying really hard to say it was independent.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1001/09/2011

You couldn't be more wrong, R7. All "Doctor Who" has is puerility and plot holes. The humor is sophomoric, and the imagination is almost always bludgeoned by histrionic writing. The acting? Barely more than mugging, on a good day.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1101/09/2011

I want to see John Barrowman's big uncut cock that he is always bragging about. Otherwise I won't watch.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1201/09/2011

Can the premise be backstoried so Ianto can be brought back to life?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1301/09/2011

Is R5 nuts? "Torchwood" is a bad show - and has gotten worse over time.

No way is it anywhere near as good as "Doctor Who".

"Doctor Who" is one of the best British shows in history. "Torchwood" won't last anywhere near as long, and has nowhere near the popularity or the ratings.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1401/10/2011

both better than any US shows. STFu, criticfraus.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1501/10/2011

"Children of Earth" was reactionary bullshit from a right-wing asshole.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1601/10/2011

Get back to us when you learn how to write, R15.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1701/10/2011

No Ianto, no watch.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1801/10/2011

[quote] However if this is a problem that plays over days, weeks or months there would not be this instant population boom like RTD is talking about unless Capt Jack starts impregnating the women of earth in the series. %0D %0D Actually, considering how many people die every day and how many are born I think the problem could get large quickly.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1901/11/2011

More people are born everyday than are estimated to die, but at the same time most western nations have experienced a population stagnation. So it would cause different problems for different continents at different times.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2001/11/2011

What's wrong with the population going down?

Why do some people think it should keep going up and up?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2101/11/2011

[quote]What's wrong with the population going down?%0D %0D Why do some people think it should keep going up and up?[/quote]%0D %0D It can't keep going up, that's true but it's dangerous for the population to drop suddenly. How many times have we heard people moan about how North America is going to pay for the aging boomer population? China might have enforced a one child policy but China also realized that the drop was going to cause problems for them in the future. They actually have a little known loop hole in the policy where if a couple are both only children they can have two children as a way to counter that.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2201/11/2011

You mean I could have lived!?!?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2301/11/2011

Am I the only one who thinks Bill Pullman is hot?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2401/12/2011

WHERE IS JOHN'S COCK?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2501/12/2011

I know its Stars so I'm sure we'll get to see his hot ass R25, but I doubt we'll see his cock.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2601/12/2011

Well, he's already shown his ass before in "Children of Earth". So, nothing new to see here.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2701/13/2011

I'm a recent Doctor Who fan (just started watching it a few months ago, have now watched all five recent series and specials, with only the most recent Christmas special left to watch). Is it worth it to get into Torchwood? I heard the first season was very uneven, but things started improving by seasons 2 and 3. There are some other sci-fi-ish series I want to start watching (Misfits, Firefly), and I don't know if it's worth it to start off with Torchwood first (I don't like juggling between different shows in the backlog).%0D %0D On the subject of Doctor Who, after having watched series 5, I have to say I kind of preferred series 4 a little. Even though Steven Moffat wrote my favorite episodes from the first four series (Forest of the Dead, Blink, etc.), I was a bit underwhelmed overall. I understand that under Davies there could be some truly awful episodes sometimes, and he was hit-and-miss, but there were some great high points, and I felt the characters had more depth, even pathos. The most recent series just felt a bit too fairy-tale-ish for me, and Amy Pond too much of a throwback to the useless damsel in distress who's hopelessly in love (as opposed to Donna Noble, who ended up being my favorite companion).

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2801/13/2011

None of the new series are as good as the original show, but Matt Smith is a big improvement over the irritating David Tennant.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2901/13/2011

Looks like Lauren Ambrose from "Six Feet Under" is joining the cast, but only for 7 of the 10 episodes. I might actually watch for her, even though I think after where they took the show in COE the 4th series is unnecessary.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3001/14/2011

[quote] Is it worth it to get into Torchwood?%0D %0D Two words... John Barrowman.%0D %0D Seriously though, start with season 2. Or if you don't want to just watch Children of Earth which is only 5 episodes.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3101/14/2011

God, Doctor Who and Torchwood are both pretty!

Turn off the analytical part of your brain and pop in a dvd of either show and you will have a really good time.

Barrowman is hot but I wish he'd dye his hair blonde or something so he didn't look so eerily like Tom Cruise. Seriously, a doppleganger.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3201/14/2011

Am I the only one who loved the first two seasons but HATED COE?

Piece of crap full of plot holes, that was. Why in fucks sake didn't the aliens just beam people away? Why all the ploys and gambits? It made no fucking sense. There was a lot of other bullshit too, but I've forgotten a lot of it because I wanted to pretend it didn't happen.

Oh, and killing off main characters can be a good thing for a show, and provide much needed emotional impact and suspense for stories to come. But *****SPOLER ALERT***** killing off Owen, Tosh, and the Ianto in the next series was way over the top. Only Gwen and Jack are left from the original cast now.

It's almost not worth it. But knowing Lauren Ambrose will be on does make me think twice. I think I would switch teams for her!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3301/14/2011

Barrowman was blond in the producers and I think it looked awful. (start at 42 seconds in)

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3401/14/2011

Barrowman dyes his hair black. He is gray now, he's discussed it in interviews.%0D %0D [quote] The dying keep dying, but no one quite dies. The possibility of death ceases to exist. %0D %0D All I can think of is "The Walking Dead". %0D %0D So are all 10 episodes going to be telling the same story like the 5 Children of Earth eps?%0D %0D R28: [quote] Is it worth it to get into Torchwood? I heard the first season was very uneven, but things started improving by seasons 2 and 3. %0D %0D I'm more of a Doctor Who fan; there is really only one episode of Tw that I think was really great and that is the real Captain Jack Harkness episode from Season 1. %0D %0D Season 2 episodes are usually better than Season 1's. Much of the Season 3 miniseries was good, it just had a very depressing ending. You could start by trying the shorter miniseries.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3501/14/2011

Am I the only one here who found the lead female character really unlikeable? I get that they wanted to show a "ordinary girl" getting involved and introducing us to the story, but then they spent way too much time of the first season on her domestic issues and not enough time really showing us how great Torchwood was suppose to be. And then when they were at Torchwood, it was to show Gwen screwing up but it was okay in the end, even though people usually died because of the screw ups because she cared more than any of the others. And we were suppose to know she cared because she told us, A LOT. %0D And now Torchwood consists of her and Jack? I don't know if I like Jack enough to cancel out my dislike for Gwen.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3601/14/2011

i loved torchwood, all seasons. yes, COE had serious plot holes, but kept the suspense ratcheted up so high, and was so fast moving, you didn't notice while watching. yes, lanto was a true loss- his character was great, and he was nice to look at, but jack and gwen are enough to keep me coming back. oh, and i hope they bring back gwen's fat, dorky husband. i have the hots for him.

as for doctor who, most of it is unwatchable, with occasional decent episode. matt smith is a HUGE improvement over that godawful david tennant, and at least the current companion the scottish girl can act a bit- all of the other past sidekicks were wretched.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3701/14/2011

"as for doctor who, most of it is unwatchable"

Torchwood is much more so.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3801/14/2011

I like Karen Gillan (the current Doctor Who companion), but if she's a better actress than her predecessors you'd never know it since it seems 80% of her dialogue consists of her yelling "Doctor!" with increasing franticness as she is put in peril once again. Even Rory (who I love) is given more to do, and is a more interesting character as a result. Probably the biggest disappointment of the series under Moffat, though Matt Smith is great - don't know if I like him better than Tennant, but definitely distinct and has made the character his own.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 3901/14/2011

R36, most of the fans hate Gwen. Considering that, coupled with how much everyone loved Ianto RTD should have killed her. Its suspossed to be obvious that Jack loves Gwen, so, if you want to see the death as a means of forwarding the plot and character, wouldn't her death have affected Jack as much as Ianto's, if not more? (Hell, Jack didn't even say I love you as Ianto was dying... but I digress).%0D %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4101/14/2011

No Ianto? No watcho.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4202/02/2011

The show has been a misfire from Day One.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4302/02/2011

And now they have a God awful poster out.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4403/23/2011

I love Torchwood. It's not a perfect show, but it has always had a special vibe to it. I'm sad that Ianto had to die, but Gwen and Captain Jack are great characters, too. I really like Eve Myles' acting and her character's rawness and realness. She's certainly from another planet when compared to for example some Hollywood fame whore, and that's just absolutely fantastic. The whole show is very British, and very European, and I'm actually a bit afraid what happens next season when it comes to US.

Doctor Who is not my thing. I sort of got into it the first time with the Christopher Eccleston-reboot, and almost started to like it middle of the season, partly because I really liked Eccleston. Then Doctor changed to David Tennant and he's never really been my thing but I was okay with him. Rose and Martha Jones were great, and so was to my surprise Catherine Tate. Matt Smith I just can't stand. He's like some know-it-all teenager and the girl he's with is worse. It feels like the dumbened down the show ten fold with them, to make it once again more kiddie friendly.

Doctor Who's episodes have been from absolutely great to absolute shite. I tried watching the last Christmas Episode but it was the usual stupid running around and talking nonsense. I almost felt embarrassed watching it. I'm not a Brit which might explain why I don't feel so fondly about Doctor. I suppose most of them have seen the show when kids and have grown up with it.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4503/23/2011

This is a huge gamble. A ten episode arc requires a ton of exposition that can drown a show.

"Here's the gun in the first act. Oh, we have seven episodes before it's needed. Please try not to forget as it plugs a plot hole."

BTVS7 hauled in a flock of girls in need and some potentially cool bad guys early in the season, but seemed to forget them half the time and wasted some great monster ideas because they didn't fit in with the over-all arc.

Plus, that doomed hopelessness RTD loves to play with (Martha Jones season) always gets resolved because we have the Doctor. That's a rule RTD was not allowed to break. The first season of Torchwood showed that that rule does not exist.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4603/24/2011

What is the "doomed hopelessness" rule?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4703/24/2011

My doomed hopelessness rule is where plans A through C (although entertaining) fail and we must all die with time for commercial break and suffer and say what is truly in our hearts before The Doctor pulls something out of his ass to save the day. I can handle this in short doses, but I do demand happy endings.

I made it through perhaps two episodes of Torchwood1 before I decided that he had tossed that idea. It really is too adult for me.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4803/24/2011

I watched a few episodes of Torchwood and then stopped. It just wasn't a good show.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 4903/24/2011

I don't understand where the love for Ianto comes from. First he was crazy about a woman, then he became Jack's boy toy and all of a sudden it was real love? Didn't make sense to me. And the forced love story aside I didn't see any redeeming quality in that character. Didn't care much when he was gone.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5003/25/2011

I always thought that people felt that Ianto was a largely ignored character and this made him an underdog to a large part of the audience. The opposite happened to Gwen who I saw a lot of people complaining in the first season, "Who cares? Why are we watching her eat lasagna with her bf and we don't see anything with Ianto or Tosh?"%0D %0D I never thought that what they showed with Jack and Ianto was true love, but it was something different then what they had with Jack and Gwen (UST between male an female lead that can't be fulfilled, just hinted at till the show end), so I liked them better. I would have liked to see Ianto get a chance to walk away from Jack and the end of COE and actually be a character on his own. Plus, Jack did revert to his passive-aggressive, dickish season one self. But I'm now positive that RTD has no attention span and that is the real reason for the high death toll and the destruction of everything that signified "Torchwood". Which is weird because Torchwood had a really long grace period in season one to find some consistancy.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5103/26/2011

Why the fuck had you written it off, VOTN? After Children of Earth? Are you COMPLETELY INSANE? That was the best series the show EVER did. It may be better than anything that's been done with the entire Who franchise since the revamp.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5203/26/2011

[quote]I don't understand where the love for Ianto comes from. First he was crazy about a woman, then he became Jack's boy toy and all of a sudden it was real love?%0D %0D They had some pretty wildly inconsistent plot elements in the first season, which I think had something to do with BBC pushing them into a production schedule faster than they had wanted. I mean, in the first episode, they gave a pretty strong indication that Owen was bi too, but that never came up again, not even in that awful "Weevil Fight Club" episode where I think it would have been appropriate.%0D %0D Even though I think Season 1 was the weakest, it still had a few episodes I loved: "They Keep Killing Suzie," "Random Shoes" (even though that was basically just Doctor Who's "Love and Monsters"), and, of course, "Captain Jack Harkness."

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5303/26/2011

[quote]Why the fuck had you written it off, VOTN? After Children of Earth? Are you COMPLETELY INSANE? That was the best series the show EVER did. It may be better than anything that's been done with the entire Who franchise since the revamp.%0D %0D No, I loved Children of Earth.%0D %0D What was kind of getting me down was that they were moving from Cardiff to the US, and frankly, that they'd introduced two really new new characters (Agent Johnson and Lois) in COE and then were just going to forget that they they had existed.%0D %0D But the premise for Miracle Day sounds really interesting, and I'm hoping for the best.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5403/26/2011

I'm not sure I want to watch Miracle Day. I hated CoE, too. I dislike the fuck out of Lauren Ambrose. Not much to say about the companions; I grew to like each. I do enjoy Catherine Tate the most, I think. Something about the two of them being equals during their time together.

Someone said something upthread about the best episodes of DW - Forest Of The Dead is the one I can watch over and over.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5503/26/2011

[quote] two really new new characters %0D %0D two really COOL new characters.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5603/26/2011

Starz has it's first teaser up. Not great IMO;%0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5704/03/2011

Q has joined the cast.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5804/25/2011

New, action packed trailer here;%0D %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 5905/22/2011

AfterElton has a cache of teaser pictures. Including Jack's new boy, and Gwen's baby.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6006/02/2011

Also, it's evident that being on Starz, they had a LOT more money.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6106/02/2011

I'm starting to see commercials for this everywhere here in Canada. Hell, I was just watching "MasterChef" and there was one.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6207/05/2011

The first episode is available online. Most people in the States seem to be able to watch it.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6307/08/2011

I found a cool trailer on Starz On Demand that ends with a woman saying to Gwen "If you're the best England's got to offer then God help you."

Gwen snorts "I'm Welsh!" and gives her a big roundhouse kick.

I'm really excited.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6407/08/2011

It sucked. Maybe my expectations were too high. The dialogue is awful - stop saying Wales.

The "slow aging", more than 100 year old Jack is looking a little long in the tooth.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6507/09/2011

I really enjoyed it. They clearly had a lot more money, as evidenced by that scene with the helicopter.

I liked the little callbacks to the previous seasons--the references to the 456, and Jack's fake FBI badge with the name "Owen Harper."

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6607/09/2011

Jack is a couple of thousand years old or something, isn't he? What with all the time-travelling and centuries spent in a coffin, R65 - maybe he's allowed to age very, very slowly, or something.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6707/09/2011

I'm not sure if he was actually alive for the thousand or so years he spent buried. Since he can die, and it's been suggested he doesn't come back until whatever killed him as been removed. So if he died after he was buried, he may not have come back to life until after Victorian Torchwood opened the coffin. Then he was cryogenically frozen until the present day.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6807/09/2011

Add me to the 'hated it' group. More money does not a better show make. The whole thing was dull dull dull and it doesn't even seem like Torchwood anymore. Nothing even happened the whole hour except for them constantly hammering over the head that no one can die. I suppose they'll pick it up where it left off next week but I can't find myself to care. They should've ended the show at Children of Earth.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 6907/09/2011

First of all, I think it has been hinted (albeit very vaguely) on Doctor Who that Jack can die and will. And from that I take it that ageing is not out of the question. That vague hint may be thrown over board this season if they continue with the notion that Jack can be hurt and is now able to die - unlike everybody else. We'll see.%0D %0D I'd say the first episode was not as fast paced as the season opener of Children of Earth. I am still curious though. Definitely will keep watching. Clearly this episode was too busy explaining the show to newcomers and picking up some open threads from last season.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7007/10/2011

Jack ages, he told his daughter in COE that he found a grey hair. The character ages slowly compared to humans, but the actor is looking older in Miracle Day. It's the same thing that happens to vampire characters in Buffy, Angel, etc. - the actors eventually start to look older, but we're supposed to pretend that the characters look the same.

There is an animated web series about Miracle Day with Gwen, Jack and Eliza Dushku. Here's the first episode. Not sure how the web series fits in with STARZ series.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7107/11/2011

SPOILER!!!!!!

I seem to recall that in Doctor Who Captain Jack does die as a giant head in a fluid filled glass structure.

END OF SPOILER

I agree with other posters that the first episode of the new season was underwhelming. Love Gwen, Rys and Captain Jack. Maybe I'm just used to the concept of releasing the first two episodes at once nowddays.

Paul James (Noah, the young black agent) plays a gay character in "Greek".

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7207/11/2011

The 'Jack becomes the Face of Boe' thing comes entirely from Jack telling the Doctor that when he was young, he was nicknamed 'the face of Boe' because he was a model and came from a place called Boeshane. It was strongly implied that the Face of Boe was an alien species (because he's the 'last of his kind,' his species, the Boekind, having all died out, and he once gave birth to a baby 'boemina').

It's not impossible, but it's more likely to have been a joke (RTD's never said that Jack does become Boe) and to make it fit, takes some doing. Jack needs to live for billions of years and change so dramatically he essentially changes his entire species and no longer identifies as human (and is somehow able to give birth to young of this new species), and for some reason decides to name the new species he becomes after his childhood nickname. Considering the face of Boe is so ancient and famous across the universe, it's more likely that young Jack was nicknamed after him.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7307/11/2011

Btw, Jack once mentioned seeing someone dress up like the Face of Boe at a costume party or something, which seems conclusive that they aren't the same person, but he simply took his nickname from it.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7407/11/2011

I liked it so far. A good introduction for new people. However, I'm just waiting for new people who don't know the history of the show to freak out when Jack suddenly starts banging a guy. Should be interesting...

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7507/11/2011

I hate Gwen. I didn't mind her at first but when they kept trying to force her with Jack and when Gwen think s it's all about her and everything bad happens to her (which it doesn't) I started to hate her.

I made the mistake of watching Torchwood first. I didn't know it was a spin off show. I started watching towards the end. My first Torchwood ep was out of the rain (i believe that is what its called) i loved the first two seasons but can't really stand COE because of the fact they killed Ianto. The only reason why I'm watching MD is for John Barrowman. Jack was my favorite companion on DW and he got his own show which sadly became known as Gwenwood.

Now I can't stand Amy. I don't know what it is but I can't stand her. David Tennant will always be my doctor because the first episode I ever saw was planet of the ood and he just stuck with me. same as Christopher. I've been starting to like Matt smith but i heard hes regenerating after this season. I justr wonder what their going to do because the doctor only has 2 regenerations left

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7607/12/2011

[quote] Jack needs to live for billions of years and change so dramatically he essentially changes his entire species and no longer identifies as human (and is somehow able to give birth to young of this new species), and for some reason decides to name the new species he becomes after his childhood nickname.

I don't have a horse in this race, but Jack's given birth before (so he says, anyways). Jack is a liar and conman so I don't necessarily believe everything he says. If he's such a target that people are always trying to kill him (COE, MD), it may be a good idea to try a disguise as a different person or species.

Never got why The Face of Boe is such a big deal. He was just in three episodes for a total of five minutes.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7707/13/2011

But didn't Boe say that he and the Doctor have history together and that's why he knows so much about him?

A swig from some strange alien potion could make the change happen or a holiday (since sometimes characters on TV shows go on vacation and have a total different face, hight, and body frame when they come back!).

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7807/13/2011

[quote]I just wonder what they're going to do because the doctor only has 2 regenerations left

OMG, is this true? Where/when was this said, and by who?

My $0.02 on the reboot Doctors: I adored Eccleston, hated Tenant in the first few eps because he was so different from Eccleston, then fell in love with Tenant.

I've only seen bits and pieces of Matt Smith's Doctor, but his face seriously creeps me out so I don't anticipate liking him much at all; I just cannot enjoy a character when the actor is hideous, it totally ruins it for me.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 7907/13/2011

[quote]AfterElton has a cache of teaser pictures. Including Jack's new boy

In that pic, the one-night stand looks like Jack's brother Gray!

Which would be cool with me, actually. Fictional sibling-cest is hawt.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8007/13/2011

The whole 'Time Lords only get 13 regenerations' thing is Classic Who canon, but it's been thrown out of the window before (the Master ran out of regens several times and always managed to get more), plus it's something the Time Lords artificially controlled. They might chose to use the regen limit as the basis for a story, but if they want to handwave it, or just explain it away with one line saying, "Now the Time Lords are gone so is the regen limit."

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8107/13/2011

One thing that has kind of confused me is that they didn't make any mention of UNIT. I understand that Torchwood always tries to go for the cloak and dagger stuff, but they were involved with the 456 and were pissed off enough by Britain's double-dealings that they said they were going to pull out of the UK.

Now, Miracle Day comes along, with the potential to be the biggest worldwide crisis since "The Stolen Earth," and they don't even rate a mention?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8207/13/2011

Good point R82. And they never mention maybe the Doctor could help with this, but whatever.

Oh, and what happened to the rift?? In seasons 1 and 2 stuff came through it and such and now suddenly its being ignored??

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8307/13/2011

Three new Torchwood radio plays, set mostly pre-CoE, aired this week (non region locked link below). The final one reveals how the Cardiff Rift was sealed.

(It has to do with Ianto, so all the Ianto-obsessed fangirls who send RTD death threats and packs of coffee are up in arms about it being a slam at them, even though it actually gave Jack and Ianto's relationship the proper acknowledgement and ending it deserved.)

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8407/13/2011

Maybe RTD didn't want to introduce yet another from the past to new viewers. It could be introduced later. Or UNIT could be abolished altogether. I think RTD mentioned once that he wasn't a fan of old-UNIT anyway (and therefore gave the acronym even a new meaning). Maybe BBC asked him to leave the DW-universe alone and not reference to it anymore.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8507/13/2011

[quote]I think RTD mentioned once that he wasn't a fan of old-UNIT anyway (and therefore gave the acronym even a new meaning).

I thought they changed it to Unified Intelligence Task Force because the actual United Nations asked for it.

There was a prop in Sarah Jane's attic that was a book she'd written about UNIT.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8607/13/2011

[quote] (It has to do with Ianto, so all the Ianto-obsessed fangirls who send RTD death threats and packs of coffee are up in arms about it being a slam at them, even though it actually gave Jack and Ianto's relationship the proper acknowledgement and ending it deserved.)

Their relationship did not get what it deserved because Jack did not say I love you when Ianto said it before he died. First, I think he did love Ianto. Second, even if he didn't, not saying it back was a dick move.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8707/15/2011

I didn't enjoy the first episode for various reasons but I completely stopped paying attention after the Bill Pullman scene in prison. Are we really supposed to buy that the governor pardons some murdering paedophile because he's afraid of being sued for a botched execution? Especially when it's all over the news that no one can die? That's it. Done. I couldn't really get into anything the show offered after that. Gwen's beefy hubby is hot though.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8807/15/2011

it wasn't about being sued; it was based on a straight-out legal technicality...the idea of double jeopardy as applied to a death sentence. It's ludicrous, yes, but it had nothing to do with being afraid of being sued. It was a point of law.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 8907/15/2011

Enjoyed the second episode as well. I think the doctor is my favorite character.

Clearly, Lauren Ambrose isn't who she says she is.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 9007/16/2011

Yeah, the second episode is deffo better. Love Gwen bossing the male and female flight assistants (with the guy being called gay all the time - it was just ONE time!) around and at the end bitching about the escape car.

The female agent who tried to kill Captain Jack was in Whedon's Dollhouse show.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 9107/16/2011

I was curious to see if the chemistry they were attempting to Magruber would actually work. I mean, I think actual chelation requires more than just the gay flight attendant's syringe, but on the whole, the general idea of the perils of a world where people age but can't die seemed pretty plausible.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 9207/16/2011

r89, he threatened to sue the governor if he wasn't released because of double jeopardy. I'm not going to get into the whole issue of how double jeopardy could possibly apply to an execution or why the hell a botched execution would negate his life sentence. Not to mention that the potential legal wrangling would take years to work out, especially under the extenuating circumstances of Miracle Day. Seriously, the idea that a governor would cave in and immediately release a murdering paedophile is so incredibly ridiculous that it took me completely out of the first episode. I will give the second episode a shot though.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 9307/16/2011

R93, don't bother. The second episode is worse than the first. I can't even enjoy it in a "so bad it's good" way. It's horrible, and I keep wondering how nobody realized it. The music, the dialogue, the story, the directing, the acting (esp. from Mekhi and a number of the minor players) all are awful. RTD, other writers, the actors - while they're in the middle of filming or editing don't they realize that it's all shiite?

[quote] Are we really supposed to buy that the governor pardons some murdering paedophile because he's afraid of being sued for a botched execution?

Plus, a governor wouldn't be sued personally. He wouldn't even need to pay the lawyers. The taxpayers would pay for all of that if a governor is sued for something he does in his capacity as gov. I know it's sci-fi, but the story still has to be somewhat connected to reality.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 9407/17/2011

thanks r94, I thought it was just me. I also found Mekhi to be incredibly grating. I was looking forward to it, so yeah, I was disappointed.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 9507/17/2011

I agree, Mekhi was horrible, as are much of the supporting cast. Of the new players I only think Pullman is doing a good job, but his character is so disgusting I can't bear watching him.

The second episode was as bad as the first until the last 10 minutes or so. Then it started to feel like the old series I enjoyed. I will give it one more week, then I'm out for good if the entire episode isn't worth watching.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 9607/17/2011

Just starting to watch it now... at least the beginning is good.%0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 9707/17/2011

[quote] Yeah, the second episode is deffo better. Love Gwen bossing the male and female flight assistants (with the guy being called gay all the time - it was just ONE time!) around and at the end bitching about the escape car.

I hated Gwen in seasons 1 and 2. She was ok in Children of Earth. I actually kinda like her in this. She's (dare I say it?) better than Jack so far. Please please please make that change...

by The Voice of the Nightreply 9807/17/2011

The guy talking to Pullman after the failed execution, with the southern drawl, pings right off my gaydar. And I so want to fuck him for some reason.%0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 9907/17/2011

That red-head, in red, trying to give everyone her card... that's "Claire" from Six Feet Under, right?%0D %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 10007/17/2011

I miss Ianto:

by The Voice of the Nightreply 10107/18/2011

Ianto's in the radio play House of the Dead, which you can still listen to at the bbc radio website for another few days. It's awesome!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 10207/18/2011

Looks like the ratings have taken a 30% dive.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 10307/18/2011

Can't stand Barrowman so I've never watched.

Davies apparently let his dick do the casting when he approved him for DOCTOR WHO.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 10407/18/2011

Flying in the face of the usual Datalounge bitching and negativity, I have to say I'm liking it.

Think the extra bucks have been well-used, it has a big, slick movie 'look,' and I'm finding it very entertaining, with an intriguing premise.

The last one about the kids being used as fuel was a very daring concept, but was poorly executed in my opinion. This is much, much better as a production. And I think it's a lot of fun.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 10507/21/2011

Not surprised the ratings are tanking. I was hoping it would be as good as Children of Earth...it isn't. And outside of CoE Torchwood has never been very good.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 10607/21/2011

Ironic. In an interview on one of the other Torchwood threads, Barrowman was boasting about how good the ratings have been.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 10707/21/2011

Well, Dillon Casey's hot bod & tight ass sure brought me back to watching tonight!D

I hope we see more of that in coming episodes...Dayum!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 10807/22/2011

I'm liking it more and more each week.

This is easily the most likable that Gwen has been, and I say that as someone who never hated her.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 10907/23/2011

Anyone have a link to the "explicit" sex scene?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 11007/23/2011

Here are some screencaps, R110. The scene was shot quickly and the camera didn't linger (unfortunately), but this is all I could find online at the moment.

That Brad dude is really hot. I think we're going to see him again.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 11107/23/2011

[quote]And outside of CoE Torchwood has never been very good.

True, but at least the first couple of seasons were entertaining if not great. This Americanization has made the show go to complete crap thanks to that overrated untalented hack of a 'writer' Jane Espenson. They should've ended the show after Children of Earth.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 11207/23/2011

haven't watched episode 3 yet, but I liked episode 2 very much. I really don't care what kind of ratings Starz gets for it; what will matter for any future productions is how it does on BBC.

And I agree with VOTN about Gwen being better in this new series. She was better in the airplane scenes than ever before, and Eve Myles has turned into a quite good actor.

The bits about the male "steward" being not gay ("it was just the one time!") were funny. I was kind of hoping he and Jack would wind up alone somewhere. And broken-neck bitch agent's last zombie appearance was clever.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 11307/23/2011

That "Brad" bartender guy was fucking HOT. Anyone know who he is and what else he's done?%0D %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 11407/23/2011

"The scene was shot quickly and the camera didn't linger"

In other words, it was not an explicit sex scene afterall.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 11507/23/2011

More explicit than most gay sex on TV in this country.%0D %0D And they did a kind of brilliant thing: they completely intercut it with the straight couple having sex. They showed it to be the same, and of course it would probably prevent the homophobes from trying to just fast-forward through because it was so quick-cut back and forth between the straight sex (which they want to see) and gay sex (which they don't).%0D %0D I thought it was handled pretty well.%0D %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 11607/23/2011

It was pretty explicit and very hot. After four years we finally got to see Captain Jack having sex! and it was shot in a way you couldnt tell who was the top.%0D %0D The CIA agent is terrible, the music is terrible and the whole American vs. British humor is not funny. The plot is getting better.%0D %0D The episode picked up once Jack went to the gay bar and was good from that point on. I hope next week it will be even better.%0D %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 11707/23/2011

[quote]and it was shot in a way you couldnt tell who was the top.%0D %0D %0D Yeah you could. Both in the shots, AND in the comments after, it was clear Captain Jack was the top.%0D %0D So please, someone, tell me who the other actor is! He was so damn hot. What else has he been in??%0D %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 11807/24/2011

So far the season is rather boring to me. Yes, Gwen kicks ass and is great. And yes, the gratious sex scene with Jack and the barman was hot, but for me there's not enough Alien stuff going on. So far it seems to be a conspiracy thriller where the Alien part is a mere afterthought.

Give me some Daleks, Slitheens or Cybermen (obviously Weeping Angels are out of the question since they are a Moffat creation) for crying out loud.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 11907/24/2011

Brad was played by Dillon Casey. He's been in Being Erica and MVP (a Canadian hockey show in the vein of Footballers Wives), as well as a handful of episodes of Vampire Diaries. Very hot.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 12007/24/2011

[quote] tell me who the other actor is!

Dillon Casey

by The Voice of the Nightreply 12107/24/2011

Here's a short interview with Barrowman at this weekend's San Diego Comicon, fyi.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 12207/24/2011

I see he's being working out. He looks great.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 12307/24/2011

It's good to see "Claire" from Six Feet Under is getting work.%0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 12407/24/2011

So wait... Dillong Casey ISN'T gay?%0D %0D Well that's disappointing. What a waste.%0D %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 12507/24/2011

His "roommate" in that video is pretty hot too.%0D %0D If they are both straight, it's a DOUBLE waste.%0D %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 12607/24/2011

Is Dillon Casey the one who outraged Torchwood fans by tweeting about how icky it was to have to do the sex scene with Barrowman, and that he needed to ho out and get a girl after?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 12707/24/2011

Link, please, R127. Doesn't sound legit.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 12807/24/2011

Unless the guys actually showed their cocks, it was pretty tame.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 12907/24/2011

I kinda feel that if Barrowman and Torchwood were not in this show, it really wouldn't matter.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 13007/24/2011

If they didn't show their cocks, I'm not going to bother to watch it.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 13107/24/2011

For r128.

"Recently you faced, like many before you, a little twitter hiccup that developed when you tweeted something, and then some people were saying you were homophobic!

DILLON: I made a stupid tweet with just my sort of sense of humor. I now understand that there are some hard-core fans of Torchwood, which is great. And, because of the nature of Capt. Jack Harkness, people can have a political stance on it and have their views. There are also people out there that are looking to get offended, and sometimes have a chip on their shoulder. I guess the tweet offended them. Then, I made that Living in L.A. with Dillon Casey video, which is my satirical video series on FunnyorDie, which should have cleared it up for some people."

by The Voice of the Nightreply 13207/24/2011

I rewatched it several times last night and have to agree with R117... It looks like Harkness is the top initially then the barman is the top. The sex scene made both of them look versatile.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 13307/26/2011

What I think is amusing is even though he refers to it as stupid he does not apologize. He obviously doesn't think he actually did anything wrong.

Frankly I do agree that some people (understandly) are ready to believe the worst. Do I think Dillon Casey is actually homophobic? No, but he as an actor you do have to be careful about what you say and how it come across. Tweeting that you are posing like a "batty boy" is unwise.

Anyway, it is a waste that him and his roommmate are supposedly straight. They are both walking sex in that FunnyOrDie video.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 13407/26/2011

Oh, I don't think that there is any homophobic intent in DC, but I do think he said stupid stuff. THere are certain things you just don't try to make funny anymore and a joke about "The Crying Game" is out of place outside of 1992 with Ace Ventura making the joke.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 13507/26/2011

R27 - he made a joke (which I didn't think was offensive at all). We can have a sense of humour you know and not get immediately offended by everything.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 13607/26/2011

The ratings haven't tanked R103. Highest ever ratings in UK and Candada, and joint highest ratings in America on Starz (same as Camelot). They went down with ep 2, but then back up 5%. Still good ratings.%0D %0D As to whether they'll renew, who the hell knows - but ratings seem good so far.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 13707/26/2011

Dillon is also in a Bud Lite commercial ("Have anything to declare?" with people returning from a tropical vacation cruise).%0D %0D He's the second person, I think. Blink and you'll miss him.%0D %0D He's still mega-hot.%0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 13807/28/2011

Is it just me or did the gay sex seem gratuitous and pointless? Maybe there will be a point later, but right now it seemed very much like a gimick. Not that I'm upset. Gay sex on tv, fairly explicit at that, is great for acceptance and equality, but I was hoping for a relationship, not a one night stand. Or at least sex in the context of the story... not just thrown in there because they writers could.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 13907/29/2011

C Thomas Howell? Really?%0D %0D [italic]Really?[/italic]%0D %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 14007/29/2011

[quote] but I was hoping for a relationship, not a one night stand.

So they could kill they guy like they did Ianto??

by The Voice of the Nightreply 14107/29/2011

Another decent episode. It's definitely getting better.%0D %0D They are everywhere. They are no one.%0D %0D Anyone have any thoughts?%0D %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 14207/29/2011

...and Mare Winningham as Sarah Palin

by The Voice of the Nightreply 14307/30/2011

I totally forgot this was on last night. I've completely lost all interest in this show now.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 14407/30/2011

It was a bit too convenient that they shot the guy who was about to give them the answer in the throat.%0D %0D Still, since he can't die, why didn't they just abduct him, and then force him to write answers on paper?%0D %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 14507/30/2011

I'm with R144. If I can't even remember to watch a show on a certain day then I really don't have much interest in it. There are exciting parts of the show, then there are parts where you could easily fast forward through them.%0D %0D Melki Pheifer or whaterver the hell is name is does not seem to gel with the rest of the group. Sorry, but he seems miscast.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 14607/30/2011

I like the latest episode. The real miracle is Gwen becoming my favorite character on the show with all those hilarious comedy bits. Not very fond of the additions (the two American agents) though.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 14707/30/2011

I'm with R147. I actually LIKE Gwen now! I hated her in the first two seasons, she grew on me in COE and now I think she's pretty awesome.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 14807/31/2011

Captain Jack in bondage! I had to rerun that part to get what the mumbling was.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 14907/31/2011

R149, but it was such bad bondage. Electrical cables?? Seriously? You can't tie someone up so they can't get out using electrical cables...

by The Voice of the Nightreply 15007/31/2011

R126, Dillon Casey and his friend could be "room mates" the same way that Cary Grant and Randolph Scott were "room mates," back in the day.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 15108/01/2011

Love Gwen and Jack (but wish he wasn't a supporting character now).%0D %0D Mekeii(?) is too damn angry all the time. Ugh. The blonde agent (can't remember her name) is plain dumb. I don't blame Mekeii for getting on her case.%0D %0D I HATE that the child murderer is some kind of hero now. WTF? bullshit.%0D %0D Also, Lauren A's character is VERY annoying.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 15208/01/2011

R152, I'm also disappointed about how Jack isn't the main character perse but I think that will change. It seems as though this entire miracle revolves around him.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 15308/02/2011

Are we sure the villain isn't the Silence too?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 15408/02/2011

I kinda loved seeing the Tea Party bitch get crushed in a car like that.%0D %0D Though I'm kind of sad to see the character go away after such a brief tenure.%0D %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 15508/02/2011

R154 I was thinking it was the 456 actually... He said Jack gave them something. Also, they'd be pretty pissed at him because he was the one who sent the signal that destroyed/sent them away.

The silence is a good guess too, although I'm hoping its a totally new alien/villain.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 15608/03/2011

I just cannot believe they killed off the Dr. Vera Juarez character. She just "joined" Torchwood only to be killed off by that nasty psycho freak doctor.

Are the creators of this series on Starz taking cues from The Game of Thrones on HBO? Introduce a good character only to have them killed off by a nasty, evil one? That was my immediate thought while watching Rex banging on the module door, trying to get her out.

I am totally disgusted, but still interested to see where the story takes me.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 15708/05/2011

Still waiting to see the Big Picture -- who or what is behind Miracle Day and what is the plan. Why go through all that work and effort just to kill off the sick when and dying when it could have been done much easier?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 15808/06/2011

So... the tall blond guy who is obviously representing the "higher ups" responsible for all of these events... the one who said "You're being noticed... by the right people"....%0D %0D Who is he? He's stunning!%0D %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 15908/06/2011

Okay, that was a pretty horrifying revelation there at the end...%0D %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 16008/06/2011

[quote]So... the tall blond guy who is obviously representing the "higher ups" responsible for all of these events... the one who said "You're being noticed... by the right people"....

Teddy Sears. He used to be on One Life To Live.

That was a great episode.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 16108/06/2011

On IMDB it says Vera is in for a 10 episode arc, so who knows if she's really dead.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 16208/06/2011

Love "Torchwood" but this show is not "Torchwood". The leads are supporting, the supporting are leads and terrible. Who told Mekhi Phifer he could act? Lauren Ambrose (the new Broadway "Funny Girl") is downright awful. Bill Pullman who I like, is not a very good villain. How is it otherworldly if a corporation can cause The Miracle? Who couldn't see the ovens coming a mile away? I am sooo disappointed in this season.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 16308/06/2011

I love Lauren Ambrose in this, personally.%0D %0D You're right that it doesn't feel or seem much like Torchwood... Captain Jack is definitely a supporting character in this so far.%0D %0D And I don't think there's any indication that the corporation CAUSED the Miracle, just that they knew it was coming.%0D %0D And I didn't see the oven thing... I found the revelation horrifying.%0D %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 16408/06/2011

The oven thing really got me... creepy shit. Good catch R62. I looked it up and it does say she is in every episode. Not sure how that can be though... pretty sure that's an error.

Anyway, I agree with everyone that this show isn't really "Torchwood". I like it though but would definitely like more Jack!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 16508/06/2011

D'oh! I meant R162

by The Voice of the Nightreply 16608/06/2011

So I forgot about the show again last night. Maybe I just have a bad memory, I don't know. Anyway, what's this great big twist or reveal everyone's talking about because I'm too lazy to catch the reruns. Thanks.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 16708/06/2011

****SPOILERS*****

They burn the "dead" people.

Thinking about this... wouldn't this manage to actually kill them? Isn't this a good thing in a way, putting them out of their misery? Or are they STILL alive somehow?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 16808/06/2011

Guess the ones behind Miracle Day need the smoke coming out from the ovens (from all over the world) for something (cover the sky/sun, drive the world into a new ice age, etc.)?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 16908/07/2011

Phycorp pumps the people up with drugs (who knows what they put into them without anybody noticing) then burns their bodies which creates some special chemical reaction that goes beyond "regular" smoke?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 17008/07/2011

A lot happened in tonight's episode... but the story didn't progress very far.%0D %0D Cool cliffhanger though.%0D %0D Anyone know how many more episodes?%0D %0D I can't believe we STILL don't have a clue who is behind this all or why.%0D %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 17108/13/2011

R163, is spot on.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 17208/13/2011

I think maybe the reason "Children of Earth" was so good is that the story was so compressed.%0D %0D This really feels like they're dragging it out. Like there's lots of filler. The "revelations" each week really aren't that earth shattering for the most part.%0D %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 17308/13/2011

My god. That season is like pulling teeth. So much conspiracy thriller moments and no pay off. Without Gwen this season would be a total bust.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 17408/13/2011

I really liked the short but effective scene between Harkness and the hottie host in the restaurant scene, and the smack on the twink's ass was a plus.

Hopefully, we'll see them together before the end of the season.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 17508/13/2011

Hated everything but the last three minutes.%0D %0D And I can%E2%80%99t take Jack seriously with that hair.%0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 17608/13/2011

I agree with this review of last night's episode:

by The Voice of the Nightreply 17708/13/2011

[quote]Without Gwen this season would be a total bust.

Who would have thought anyone would actually say that?

"I don't care of the whole of society bends over and takes it like a dog, I'm saying no."

by The Voice of the Nightreply 17808/14/2011

Just read a spoiler at IMDB in the comments area. The actual source is from a Doctor Who forum that you have to register at, and I'm not really interested in registering. I'll just post the link to the discussion of the spoiler. %0D %0D I think it's finally happened. I might be done with this show. %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 17908/15/2011

I agree with the fact that there's a lot of filler, too much set up and not enough payoff. And I really don't like Mekhi Pfifer in this-- I think he's terribly miscast.%0D %0D While I've always liked the characters in Torchwood (even Gwen I'm shocked to say), Russell Davies really is a hack writer. He has good story ideas but can't execute them worth shit. And the people he has around him (except maybe Jane Espenson) can't write a tightly constructed plot to save their lives.%0D %0D There were so many laughable moments in the last episode. The stupidity of the guards and military personnel to let the various Torchwood people get into buildings, avoid lockdown, etc. was just so unrealistic.%0D %0D Jack slapping that waiter on the ass was the best part of the episode IMO, followed closely by Gwen setting off the bomb. That was pretty cool.%0D %0D I really hope it gets better but I'm scared it won't.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 18008/15/2011

Episode 5 was SO good. When they burned Vera alive I was really thinking this show was getting somewhere dark and awesome. Then this week nothing.fucking.happened. They recapped last week, had the worst military lockdown ever, Gwen blew shit up with C4 just sitting around easily findable apparently,and in the end, they exposed everything and it pretty much meant nothing.

Oh, and Jack had his obligatory one-liner/sexual inuendo moment. Seriously wtf is up with the lack of Captain Jack!?!? Something is seriously wrong when Gwen is not only the star of the show, but kinda the best character. (Lord it pains me to say that).

And yes, R176, I hate the hair too. Maybe thats why I seem to be finding the coat less sexy this season. The hair just doesn't go with the coat...

by The Voice of the Nightreply 18108/15/2011

OMG, this is terrible, just terrible. I love Torchwood and Captain Jack Harkness, but he is barely in the show. The American characters are all boring and awful, except for the doctor they killed off. The child murderer is just pointless. What was the point of this guy being a murderer anyway? He could have easily been a whistleblower from inside the company, or some random guy. Bill Pullman does a much better 'good guy' character. He's just repulsive in this, for no reason that advances the plot.%0D %0D I am forcing myself to suffer through this, just to see if it gets better. Not hopeful at this point though.%0D %0D Gwen has never been better, though. Did Eve Myles' mother write the scripts?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 18208/15/2011

Well that was a better sex scene... I swear I saw dick...%0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 18308/20/2011

Actually, it was a pretty intense relationship ... tension, closet dynamics, religious guilt, love, sex... %0D %0D %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 18408/20/2011

Actually, this episode was really good. It was all back-story, but it set up the next episode well, and told a story worth telling.%0D %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 18508/20/2011

Nobody watched last night? %0D %0D A gay love story for the ages!%0D %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 18608/20/2011

Finally the show picks up speed and it's about bloody time!

Hot and dramatic flashback romance.

One thing I noticed: The three businessmen's "handshake" to share Jack as an investment formed a triangle. The geometric shape of a (spinning) triangle was previously used in connection with the hidden force that's behind Miracle Day.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 18708/20/2011

That was easily the best episode we've gotten thus far.

Wow, Nana Visitor looked fabulous.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 18808/20/2011

good ep. they playing angelo was good - saved the backstory from just jack being hokey

by The Voice of the Nightreply 18908/20/2011

Yeah. It finally felt like "Torchwood" again.%0D %0D Did someone different write or direct that episode? At least someone different from the previous two or three episodes?%0D %0D Because if so, I hope they wrote/directed the rest of them.%0D %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 19008/20/2011

The episode was written by Executive Producer Jane Espenson, who had previously written the episode where Dr. Juarez was murdered, and the other one where Jack had Gay Sex. Which I thought were the two best apart from this last one.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 19108/20/2011

Thanks VOTN... Jane Espenson needs to write more, I think.%0D %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 19208/20/2011

Well, she co-wrote two of the final three.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 19308/20/2011

Good to hear, VOTN. Now I have hope that this series may pull out of the nosedive...%0D %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 19408/20/2011

I liked the ride in the car, but the ending%E2%80%A6 I know Torchwood had always had plot-holes and stupid endings out of nowhere, but this was really stupid. If all the effort was to separate him from the group, why go through all this trouble? And if they wanted his group to resent him and hurt him as a result, why not kill off Gwen%E2%80%99s family? Why would a powerful group hold them in their home and allow police to find them that easily? It feels like a big-bad that can%E2%80%99t bite.%0D %0D And with all my support to show gay romance, this felt like an educational hour. I expected Jack to start explaining about lube and how America saved Europe from the Nazis. And look, two American CIA agents saved the day! Again! Because in this series Torchwood members must act as useless idiots. Even the scene in the warehouse, was it really necessary to make it look like two buffoons talking while they should be killing the thing and then escaping? %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 19508/20/2011

I loved last night's episode and yes I saw a little bit of dick as well.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 19608/20/2011

Is it awful that when Angelo was calling Jack the devil I was thinking I could see why people would think that sometimes?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 19708/21/2011

R197 The fact that he's lived for 100's of years and wouldn't even consider giving his life to save Gwen's child is a bit selfish. I would think maybe he would consider it penance for what he did to his grandson.

And they have always implied that Jack did bad things in the past. I've always wanted to see that explored. Maybe they will this season...

by The Voice of the Nightreply 19808/22/2011

Well, you have a point 198, but really I was thinking about how charming and seductive Jack can be, and how that really plays into some ideas that the devil is a charmer.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 19908/22/2011

Sad to realize that the cause of all this might be "jilted gay lover" syndrome. Sigh.%0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 20008/22/2011

So we're supposed to believe that 100+ year old Angelo is behind all this evil and that he's only doing it because he was rejected by Captain Jack 80 years ago???%0D %0D Yeah, okay.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 20108/22/2011

I love people are passing judgement before the story is finished. We don't know anything for sure right now.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 20208/22/2011

Great episode recap/summary and analysis here:

by The Voice of the Nightreply 20308/23/2011

From a gays-on-tv and hot-gay-sex standpoint I am loving this season. But as a fan of Torchwood and Doctor Who I kinda hate that they've made Jack gay. He isn't gay. He isn't even bi, really. He's omnisexual, from a future where sex is so un-taboo and people are so liberated. He's a flirty, intergalactic playboy.

I for one would have liked to see him sleep with a women this season (as WELL as the hot gay sex). In face, I actually would have been ok with replacing that first sex scene with a straight one.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 20408/25/2011

Russell T Davies chose to make Jack gay this season as an "in your face" to the American audience.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 20508/26/2011

In that case, he made a mistake. The audience that watches Torchwood is not an audience that needs education about gay rights. Part of Jack%E2%80%99s mystery was his free sexuality. You could never tell who he would end up with. His charm used to be reinforced by how the males and the females on the show reacted to him, now it seems he%E2%80%99s only attractive to gay males.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 20608/26/2011

r206. The audience was livid during the "Gwen and Captain Jack crushing on each other" moments. The audience was even more livid when Davis killed off Ianto. Which audience you're exactly speaking about? Those supposedly new American Torchwood fans with their "my way or the highway" attitude? A pox on them.

Free spirit is all fine and dandy, but the audience loved, loved, loved the fact that Jack settled down with a guy and were furious about how Davis dealt with Ianto's departure. To me it looks like Davis wants to have a second go on dealing with Jack and his gay love life and I'm not the one to deny him that.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 20708/26/2011

New episode tonight... starring Q from TNG!%0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 20808/26/2011

ha...so there IS an extraterrestrial connection after all.%0D %0D I knew it!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 20908/26/2011

IMHO, not a great episode. A ton of awkward exposition in the front, and a lot of incoherent mess through the rest of it.%0D %0D Meh.%0D %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 21008/26/2011

Anyone else watch?%0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 21108/27/2011

Wow, what a mess. R210 is right, way too much awkward exposition. Sloppy emotional beats as well. Those forced flashbacks and heavy handed music to tell the audience when they should care. It didn%E2%80%99t work. There were too many people this episode who added nothing to the plot. Rex%E2%80%99s plan was stupid, Newman was stupid. This show has a really bad pacing of a story. So many things that seem to come out of nowhere and therefore mean nothing could have been built over the season to add tension and to make us care for the characters.%0D %0D The only thing I liked was the humor, there were some funny moments and Captain Jack was written much better. So did Jack want to send Gwen back to the old hub or was he just being a drama queen and wouldn%E2%80%99t share until someone begged?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 21208/27/2011

I thought this episode was pretty weak. The show is so up and down. Great premise and good execution in the start, but after the third episode, it seems like every other episode is exceptional and the ones in between are dull and pointless.

Still, I'll watch to the end... who knows maybe the next two episodes will completely redeem the show.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 21308/27/2011

The latest is quite good. Some questions are answered.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 21409/03/2011

[quote]The latest is quite good. Some questions are answered.

Really what were they besides there is a giant vagina, earth deep, sucking up air?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 21509/03/2011

r215, I'd say how and why the three families erased their names and the mentioning of "the blessing" from the databases of this world.

That one family went into politics, one family went into finances and the last one into media to rule them.

What's in Shanghai.

A connection to Jack's blood and the blessing.

To me that's a start and I'm greatful for that.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 21609/03/2011

I want to see how they plan to wrap up ALL this shit in just one more episode. I hope they destroy "the blessing" and the 3 families, but not sure that will happen.%0D %0D And I've enjoyed the series. It's kept me coming back week after week and that's about all a weekly series can really do in the end.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 21709/03/2011

It's kept me coming back because I love Jack & Gwen and the actors that play them but I gotta admit I'm lost now. It was boring for so long, I must have missed all that r216 is saying

by The Voice of the Nightreply 21809/03/2011

I don%E2%80%99t understand how an experienced team of writers could mess up a story that badly.%0D %0D Instead of getting to see Esther handling the situation and growing, the story jumped forward to show us 30 minutes of the pointless story around Gwen%E2%80%99s dad, which contributed nothing to the plot or to the characters.%0D %0D I see characters are still walking the glob as if it was one big street. Who exactly did Danes pay to find Gwen and with what money? How did he get there? How did Jack and Esther get to Scotland? They should have kept the story around one place instead of making it look like a joke.%0D %0D And the worse, they have been hammering the holocaust references like a cheap trick all season and it makes no sense in the context of the story as it is being told.%0D %0D Captain Jack is a great character, shame we won%E2%80%99t get to see him again. I can%E2%80%99t imagine Starz putting out the money again after this nonsense.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 22009/03/2011

[quote] A connection to Jack's blood and the blessing.

Maybe its part of the time vortex (the thing that made him immortal in the first place).

As far as the show, I kinda like it. Its not the direction I thought it would take, but it is interesting. I think the blessing is kinda neat but I guess it could be described as a vagina... lol

Lots of gay sex, but the "enemy" is a huge mystical vagina in the earth.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 22109/03/2011

I think they've accomplished their goal of driving home the all the awful downsides to living in a world without death. You'd get terribly frustrated and bored, praying for a death that will never come, probably looking forward to the peace that getting sent to the ovens would bring you. At least that's how I feel while watching this show.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 22309/03/2011

[quote] Captain Jack is a great character, shame we won't get to see him again. I can't imagine Starz putting out the money again after this nonsense.

I don't think STARZ will renew it either. But Jack can show up again on Doctor Who.

I am extremely disappointed with this season. I stopped watching after episode 3, but I check this thread to see whether or not I should try another episode.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 22409/04/2011

R224, there is already talk about Jack coming back to Doctor Who! Matt Smith really wants it, as do many of the producers, and John Barrowman so I'm pretty sure it will happen.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 22509/04/2011

If Starz has the viewers and you don't know their numbers, Jack will be back. Quality ain't in the equation. Have you see "Spartacus"?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 22609/04/2011

I just hope the families get their comeuppance as do all the collaborators.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 22709/04/2011

I thought it was a good episode, probably second best of the season. But I can't see how they wrap everything up in just one more episode. Which makes me thinkthe finale will seem 'rushed', which will just piss me off becasue of all the filler earlier in the season.%0D %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 22809/04/2011

Yeah, RTD had a habit of rushing endings on DW imo as well.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 22909/04/2011

Can't wait to see Gwen destroy Oswald.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 23009/04/2011

You mean all this trouble because of a giant twat that sucks all the air out of the room? I knew it!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 23109/04/2011

Does anyone else find it odd that in the middle of the financial collapse of the entire world, the government has time to send a squat team to find ONE missing "dead" guy???!?

And also Oswald... why didn't Jack kill him? He's done so many worse things.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 23209/04/2011

I finally caught up. I like the season. It's by no means perfect, but still enjoyable entertainment. In my opinion, the greatest weakness is the season having too many episodes. If you are telling one story for ten episodes you have to invlove more subplots and then it gets busy and maybe even chaotic. Either do a season with stand alone episodes (or two-parters) or make it a mini-series. You could argue that soaps have no stand-alone episodes at all, but weekly soaps don't have ten-episode stories either. They have lines of related stories but not one big overall story. To me it looks like RTD underestimated the challenge to construct something coherent with so many episodes and writers.%0D %0D There was something in the ninth episode I didn't understand: Oswald made it a big point that he has a big bargain chip because he knows too much. And they even take him to Shanghai because of his knowledge he cannot be left alone. But in the very same episode they re-introduce with big explanation the liquid substance that makes people forget what they experienced. They couldn't use it on him? Story editing was very lazy in this point.%0D %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 23309/05/2011

Btw, can we assume that the black COO of Phycor is part of the families? I also thought that the blonde woman at the CIA-headquarter is one of the families. But it looks to easy to me now. How about she was actually working independently and secretely on finding the families and we find out that actually John deLancie's character is family?%0D %0D I was happy to see Frances Fisher in Torchwood. Always loved her. But with only one episode left there is probably not much screentime involved.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 23409/05/2011

Does anyone know of a legal way of getting this online? Netflix doesn't have it yet (and now looks like they'll never get it). I don't have cable TV.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 23509/06/2011

Anyone else get the vibe that Jack and Esther might have screwed at some point while they were hiding out together?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 23609/06/2011

Jack and Esther - no. Rex and Esther - yes.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 23709/06/2011

Rex and Esther? He's not that much nicer to her.%0D Besides that, when would they have had the chance. Before all hell broke loose the last thing Esther did before they were separated was try to comfort Rex that Vera's death wasn't in vain.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 23809/06/2011

[quote]Anyone else get the vibe that Jack and Esther might have screwed at some point while they were hiding out together?

Not possible since she's still alive.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 23909/06/2011

I don't think Jack and Esther screwed. This isn't the omnisexual playboy Jack from Doctor Who. Now Jack is GAY and they make a point of that.

I would like to find out he did sleep with Esther... it would definitely be truer to the character.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 24009/06/2011

I think Jillian is a dark horse. the blonde CIA woman is family (their symbol was on her telephone)

by The Voice of the Nightreply 24109/06/2011

Well fucking DUH, R241. You must be a regular Einstein.%0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 24209/06/2011

R242?

I was responding to this:

"I also thought that the blonde woman at the CIA-headquarter is one of the families. But it looks to easy to me now. How about she was actually working independently and secretely on finding the families and we find out that actually John deLancie's character is family?"

Now kinda die of cancer.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 24309/06/2011

I am dying of cancer, thankyouverymuch.%0D %0D And if you were responding to something specific, R243, then perhaps you should have quoted it so there would be no ambiguity.%0D %0D Now kindly go to whatever hell morons go to.%0D %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 24409/06/2011

Review of Season Finale:%0D %0D Meh.%0D %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 24509/09/2011

My Review of Season Finale:%0D %0D Woah%0D and%0D Huh?%0D %0D %0D Overall, it would have been better if condensed into 5 or 6 episodes. 10 was just too long.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 24609/10/2011

Agreed. They dragged it out too long.%0D %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 24709/10/2011

To me the season was pretty much a total bust. The only good things where Gwen and the very special flashback episode with Jack's Italian lover.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 24809/10/2011

[quote]he very special flashback episode with Jack's Italian lover.

Now there's a shock.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 24909/10/2011

I didn't think it was the greatest thing I ever saw, but I didn't think it was bad either. I enjoyed the season finale. And I think it nicely sets up future episodes if any are ever made.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 25009/10/2011

A good recap and summary here:

by The Voice of the Nightreply 25109/10/2011

Well, that was stupid. This whole thing felt like a draft. Maybe they didn%E2%80%99t have enough time to work on the script. There were some good ideas and sentences, but it all felt fragmented and not yet there.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 25209/10/2011

I enjoyed the series enough to want another one next year. Gwen is amazing, Jack still has secrets (and here's hoping he gets written back into Dr Who as rumored), and I like that Jillian survived...maybe she wanders back from the remnants of the Families into Torchwood? I could see it.

All in all, not a bad way for the show to transition to a joint BBC/US production. I do hope to see more.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 25309/10/2011

so 2 men ejaculate blood to fix the magic vaginas running through the world, when done they pass out for a little while and then wake up.......ok, lets go with that

absurdly silly end. danes and the bomb was just dumb. but i did enjoy Gwen and PR Lady doing a dynasty catfight in the elevator.

the biggest problem was the tacked on ending. it was like they ran out of hte building in shanghai, paused, and then did a teleconference with starz to see who was wanted in case of a sequal

by The Voice of the Nightreply 25409/10/2011

%0D %0D Yeah, I could have completely done without the "cliff-hangers" and twist that Rex is now immortal like Jack. Ugh. %0D %0D I think it would have been good if it had been a total of say, 5-6 episodes. And if there had been an additional pass for the writers to tighten it up, close the plot-holes, and just basically make it better. The pacing was all off, and many ideas were half-formed and then thrown away, like filler.%0D %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 25509/10/2011

[quote]And if there had been an additional pass for the writers to tighten it up, close the plot-holes, and just basically make it better.

Apparently the whole thing was caused by a giant plot hole.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 25609/10/2011

I just started with season one. Should I bother to go on?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 25709/10/2011

I think it's worth it. The first couple of seasons are rocky, but it gets steadily better, until "Children of Earth" which is amazing. This year is the first that wasn't better than the previous ones.%0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 25809/10/2011

I love immortal Rex. Now Jack has a "life" partner.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 25909/10/2011

So what now? Torchwood becomes a scifi version of the "Odd Couple"?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 26009/11/2011

I thought it was a satisfying finale to a clunky season. Yes, too many episodes for the plot. But the finale made sense to me, didn't feel rushed after all and brough some closure. Rex becoming immortal with Jack's blood? Sure! That's how he survives, no matter what happens to the body. The conundrum for the future: If it's that easy to kepp someone's life, Jack and Rex) can make a dead-or-alive decision on a case by case basis.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 26109/11/2011

I liked it but there were things that didn't need to be in there. Did we really need Oswald Danes? Or all that crap about Gwen's dad? (The world is falling apart but they raid a hours to find a "dead" guy just so they can kill him?).

I hate that they killed Esther, but since this is RTD we're talking about I guess I should be happy she was the only main character to die.

I can't wait to see Jack on Doctor Who. I wanna see if The Doctor references Rex... Jack is enough of an anomaly ("fixed point in time and space") and now there is another one.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 26209/12/2011

But there was nothing special about Jack's blood! They made that point several times!%0D %0D Making Rex immortal because he was transfused with Jack's blood is completely inconsistent with everything we've known up until now.%0D %0D

by The Voice of the Nightreply 26309/12/2011

The Face of Boe looks much more like Rex than Jack. Just saying.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 26409/12/2011

ITA R264! Damn! Rex is so annoying and here to stay! I wish they made someone else immortal.%0D %0D I am surprised Esther died. I thought the paramedics saved her life in her final scene, but I guess they were too late. %0D %0D Oswald - totally useless until he blew himself up. %0D %0D Gwen kicked ass this season, but I was bored with her father's storyline.%0D %0D I still wish Jack Harkness was the prime character like he was in previous seasons.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 26709/12/2011

I wanted to like this so badly. But what was so irritating throughout is how Torchwood/Rex/Esther kept succeeding not because of their own cleverness but because of the utter incompetence or negligence of either the government or the families. There were just so many absurd plot points I can't even remember them all. Like wouldn't the CIA already have "the trace?" Why would it take Q so long to figure out someone was feeding the families inside information?%0D %0D At least with the previous Torchwood series, they could explain some things by saying alien technology was too powerful or incomprehensible. But there didn't seem to be any alien connection here at all. So in the end we're left with little more than the sloppiness of Russell T. Davies' writing. Sad.%0D %0D The only episode worth seeing again was the Angelo flashback one. That was quite good and reminded me of the old more watchable Torchwood. I wish they had made Angelo the immortal one. Boyfriend for all eternity!!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 26809/13/2011

Does anyone know of a legal way of getting this online? Netflix doesn't have it yet (and now looks like they'll never get it). I don't have cable TV.

Bittorrent, of course. I can't believe ANYBODY pays money for movies or tv shows anymore!

Or do you have any friends or family? One of them MUST have a pvr; watch it at their house, or ask them to copy it to a flashdrive or burn it to cd for you.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 26909/14/2011

[quote]I wish they had made Angelo the immortal one. Boyfriend for all eternity!!

Omg, that would've been awesome!

Especially given how Jack always cuts ties with people; how would he break up with a fellow ageless immortal?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 27009/14/2011

Caught up on eps 6-9 last weekend and just finished the finale, so I can finally rejoin TW:MD threads again!

The ending was surprising in some ways, but blatantly, pathetically obvious in many others. Some aspects were enjoyable, others sucked ass (and not in the good way). Typical Torchwood, I guess.

Rex is a massive asshole, and now he's immortal? Ugh!

And if he wasn't immortal before that moment, then how the hell did he survive giving all that blood to The Blessing? And if he survived, then why couldn't Esther? Stupid melodrama, imo.

I liked how Oswald reverted to his sick pervy self at the end, joking that Hell is full of naughty girls just like his victim Suzy, and now he can chase and rape and kill them forever!

However, throughout the series, I kept expecting Oswald to say that he actually DIDN'T murder that girl, he was framed or covering up for somebody.

But other stuff didn't really make sense, and seemed a complete waste of time:

Why have 2 episodes devoted to Jack's hot 1927 Italian trick, only to kill the man and never mention him again?

Who the fuck is the Trickster Brigade, and why does Jack think they are responsible for the Miracle?

Why did it seem that Jack was about to be murdered several times, when the Italian granddaughter basically just wanted to say "hi" to him? And why kill her?

And yet again, the only decent main characters (Vera and Esther) are killed! Wtf is with Russell Davies killing all the interesting characters, but leaving the boring angry assholes?!?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 27109/14/2011

Shit, sorry. The first paragraph in R269 is a quote from R235, and then the answers.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 27209/14/2011

[quote]I liked it but there were things that didn't need to be in there. Did we really need ... all that crap about Gwen's dad? (The world is falling apart but they raid a house to find a "dead" guy just so they can kill him?).

I know, that whole storyline was dull and terribly writ.

At first, the guy who was searching for her dad seemed like a typical asshole bureaucrat, following orders without caring who it hurts.

But then, in the street, he warns Gwen that he can't leave her alone, and urges her to "take care", which made it seem like he was sympathetic to her and didn't really want to kill Papa.

And then he comes back like the next fucking day to kill the old bugger! WTF!!!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 27309/14/2011

Someone needs to tell Russell T Davies that an exciting story, with GOOD writing, can give off the sense of urgency WITHOUT KILLING OFF YOUR MAIN FUCKING CHARACTERS.

Didn't he ever hear about how the Lost pilot was changed, so Jack survived instead of ending up in that tree? THAT is an example of good writing and smart storytelling!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 27409/14/2011

[quote] Especially given how Jack always cuts ties with people; how would he break up with a fellow ageless immortal?

I am very monogamous and am looking for love and a soulmate, but even I can't even spending ETERNITY with one person.

Then again its really hard to imagine NEVER dying...

by The Voice of the Nightreply 27509/14/2011

[quote] And if he wasn't immortal before that moment, then how the hell did he survive giving all that blood to The Blessing?

Having Jack's blood probably made him mortal (just like Jack). When the blessing reversed everyone became mortal again and Rex and Jack, having been mortal, became immortal.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 27609/14/2011

[quote]Having Jack's blood probably made him mortal (just like Jack). When the blessing reversed everyone became mortal again and Rex and Jack, having been mortal, became immortal.

That makes sense.

Thanks, R276.

Won't anyone else talk about this show with me?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 27709/14/2011

How could anyone not know Jack would spring back? He isn't immortal; he actually dies and comes back. So the whole underlying idea of mortal/immortal is just wrong. Humans were not dying then gasping back to life, they weren't dead.

Still I enjoyed it. Agree it was too long and had too many subplots and red herring twists.

Wasn't this the plot of Death Becomes Her by the way?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 27809/16/2011

I think they tried to be Buffy season 7 with spreading the force around, not a good lead to being with, but ended up even worse as being like Star Wars with that whole nonsense about something special in the blood.%0D %0D What was cool about Captain Jack was that the Tardis, which has some sort of control over time and dimensions, made him a fixed point. Downgrading it into something in his blood was just stupid. And I sure hope Rex isn%E2%80%99t immortal now, because that makes it even stupider. So there is no meaning or purpose behind Jack%E2%80%99s immortally for him to learn and achieve? It felt like they scarified a good character for the sake of having a joke in the end when Rex gasps and everyone laughs.%0D %0D Is there any behind the scenes gossip? I have a feeling there were major fights during the production.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 27909/16/2011

I thought the balance between the individual episodes and the overall arc didn't often work; the endless back and forth from America to Wales was tedious; the strange way guest stars made big appearances and then got casually killed off early in the next episode was just peculiar. Oh, and Rex was an utter pain - if only Esther had been made immortal. I sort of enjoyed the series in a low-key way, but it didn't have much of the original Torchwood quirkiness and was generally unsatisfying.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 28109/16/2011

[quote]Is there any behind the scenes gossip? I have a feeling there were major fights during the production.[quote]%0D %0D I wouldn't mind some gossip either. It would make this discussion more interesting. From all the media about the show and the clips on Youtube of the cast at Comicon, it looks like they all got along. %0D %0D You also get to hear Eve Myles using the worst American accent I've ever heard at the Comicon clips.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 28209/16/2011

[quote] Jane Espenson, who I did think wrote the best of the episodes, worked on Buffy, Gilmore Girls, Battlestar Galactica, Caprica, and the forthcoming Once Upon A Time.

She wrote all the good episodes. She is so talented! As an aspiring writing, she's my benchmark.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 28309/17/2011

I am on season two and like it.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 28409/17/2011

I just finished Children of the Earth. Why on earth do they keep killing the interesting characters.

I didn't mind the undead doctor dying but the Japanese girl and now Ianto. Ianto was the frigging best.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 28509/24/2011

I've been watching Miracle Day on Netflix streaming. I'm five episodes in and not really caring about any of it. Should I even bother watching the rest?

Loved the first 3 seasons, btw.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 28610/28/2011

Episode 7 was alright but the follow through with the outcome of it was disappointing.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 28710/28/2011

FYI, the whole season if now streaming on Netflix!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 28811/05/2011

Children of Earth was amazing - disturbing, depressing, creepy, and I loved it!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 28905/18/2013

I think after Owen died, it lost something.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 29005/18/2013

Iago's death ended it for me.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 29105/18/2013

Much darker than Dr. Who makes Torchwood more interesting for me.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 29205/18/2013

R280 - Jane Espenson also wrote one episode of Firefly, Shindig.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 29305/18/2013

Love Eve Myles!

by The Voice of the Nightreply 29405/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.