Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Amy Grant

Is she well liked here? She has a huge gay male fan base, and I know several gay men who adore her. %0D %0D She also speaks highly of her gay and lesbian fans. Anita Bryant she isn't.

by Anonymousreply 9612/04/2013

Who?

by Anonymousreply 101/07/2011

she was hot in the 90s

by Anonymousreply 201/07/2011

She's not the type of person who would end up in a landfill.

by Anonymousreply 301/07/2011

Am a GWM and have always loved her music. Sure, it's often Christy, but it's pleasant and she has a pretty nice voice. I've seen her in concert - even before she went mainstream - and it was fun. Her first husband was a drug-addict douchebag. Vince Gill is just really fat.

by Anonymousreply 401/07/2011

I don't know why, but I've always liked her pop music, starting with "Find A Way" in 1985. My other two favorite songs by her are "Good For Me" and "House Of Love" (the duet with her soon-to-be hubby Vince Gill).

by Anonymousreply 501/07/2011

I like the haunting "I Will Remember You."

by Anonymousreply 601/07/2011

I like her a lot, have been a fan for years. I remember an interview with her where she talked about a friend in the Christian Music Industry who had been hiding his gayness and was a big mess because of it. She spoke about it with a great deal of sadness at his dilemma, not at his being gay, and she was discussing how she had been demonized for her choice of music, clothes, not always singing about God. She seemed to be a very intelligent and kind woman who was following her own path.

by Anonymousreply 701/07/2011

"Lucky one" is one of her best.

by Anonymousreply 801/07/2011

She's no Elkie Brooks.

by Anonymousreply 901/07/2011

I don't listen to her music but I know she's a devout Christian, who migrated to pop from Christian music. She's friendly to gays? Has she said anything about equality, marriage, bullying? Or just figuratively hugged those that bought her music?

by Anonymousreply 1001/07/2011

She's a big-time Republican and has donated to tons of Republicans, including George Bush and Katherine Harris.

by Anonymousreply 1101/07/2011

She always pinged to me.

by Anonymousreply 1201/07/2011

She's no Cilla Black.

by Anonymousreply 1301/07/2011

If you Google her, there are tons of Christian websites saying horrible things about her because she isn't "Christian" enough

by Anonymousreply 1401/07/2011

I'll admit to adoring "Every Heartbeat," but I always thought the Christian thing was pretty phony.

by Anonymousreply 1501/07/2011

She reminds me of a white Mahalia Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 1601/07/2011

She's pretty bland for a harlot.

by Anonymousreply 1701/07/2011

Always thought she was pretty, and pretty cool for not getting her nose fixed.

by Anonymousreply 1801/07/2011

That's what love is for, baby, baby.

by Anonymousreply 1901/07/2011

She's no Lea Michele.

by Anonymousreply 2001/07/2011

Notorious pussyhound, big Bush supporter.

by Anonymousreply 2101/07/2011

I always thought that guy in the "Baby, Bay" and "Every Heartbeat" videos was really cute.

by Anonymousreply 2201/08/2011

I've been to her concerts before, you would be surprised to see a lot of her gay fans sitting in front. She did say on a talk show that she appreciated her gay fans that come to her concerts.%0D %0D In the meantime, here is my favorite Amy Grant video.

by Anonymousreply 2301/08/2011

Baby Baby (No, not the Justin version)

by Anonymousreply 2401/08/2011

Good For Me!

by Anonymousreply 2501/08/2011

Divorced. Stone her.

by Anonymousreply 2601/08/2011

The rare "Good For Me" video (without the male model) never seen before by most fans. I always thought Amy looked really beautiful in it.%0D %0D It was also one of the first videos recorded on PCM Stereo Surround.

by Anonymousreply 2701/08/2011

I've been acquainted with her and several of the Nashville gang for many years. She's a sweetheart and quite genuine. What you see is what you get.

She's been very honest about her own struggles and very accepting of others around here. Not your typical fundie by any means.

by Anonymousreply 2801/08/2011

I've always like this cover.

by Anonymousreply 2901/08/2011

Sorry, but she is phony. She is only gay friendly because she is career driven and career focused.

by Anonymousreply 3001/08/2011

She IS Christmas. End of story.

by Anonymousreply 3101/08/2011

Bullshit, R31.

by Anonymousreply 3201/08/2011

I've always liked her. She recorded a Janis Ian/Kye Fleming song for her LEAD ME ON album. I suppose she might not have known they were a lesbian couple but I love the song and it was pretty bold for a Christian artist to record it.

However, her style of singing from her throat has ruined her voice.

by Anonymousreply 3301/08/2011

Sadly, her early 90s music videos, so Blossom-esque, are at least as sophisticated as romantic movies in 2011. OMG, meet cute in a laundromat!!!

ps, was every hot early 90s guy endowed with a jew fro and cute eyeglasses?

by Anonymousreply 3401/08/2011

Ah, the good old days...

by Anonymousreply 3501/08/2011

R19%0D %0D Amy's father has never been a preacher.%0D %0D I went to high school with her. It's the same high school Reese Witherspoon went to years later. Amy was very nice and nonjudgemental in high school.

by Anonymousreply 3601/08/2011

I got so excited when I thought I was listening to Amy Grant earlier, having read this thread minutes before.%0D %0D It turned out it wasn't Amy, but Martika with Coloured Kisses.

by Anonymousreply 3701/08/2011

Wasn't there a big fuss some years ago about how Amy supposedly "stole" Vince from his now ex-wife? I think they went on some show and were interviewed about it, but I can't remember which show. That aside, I love her. Great voice, love her songs and videos. And I think the guy in those videos that were mentioned is Jamie Stein, or something like that. He was hot back then, wonder what he looks like now.

by Anonymousreply 3801/08/2011

Her praises are evidence that people who were young at a certain period in time always think their music was the best.

by Anonymousreply 3901/08/2011

I have interacted with her on numerous occasions, so much so that she knows me by name. She is truly one of the nicest people I've ever met. She is genuine and not at all judgmental. She doesn't seem to be concerned at all with how others live their lives. Most of her lyrics are about her struggle and desire to be a good person. She is one of the rare Christians that actually tries to live the lessons Jesus taught. When I'm around her, she makes me want to be a better person.

by Anonymousreply 4001/08/2011

[quote] I remember an interview with her where she talked about a friend in the Christian Music Industry who had been hiding his gayness and was a big mess because of it.

Michael W. Smith? He's always pinged for me.

by Anonymousreply 4101/08/2011

This is "Jme" Stein today.

by Anonymousreply 4201/08/2011

I think she was talking about Levi Kriess. Kicked out of Belmont, lost his label, etc.

by Anonymousreply 4301/08/2011

Yes, R39. She was originally married to Gary Chapman and they had three kids together. She then had an affair with Gill and both ended up divorcing so they could marry.

Chapman kinda self-destructed after that. It was pretty upsetting.

by Anonymousreply 4401/08/2011

What's happened to Chapman since?%0D %0D I liked Amy's music from an early age. I'm not remotely religious but I liked her gospel stuff and always thought she was a nice person.%0D %0D Baby Baby was a great song and I still get a tingle when I hear it.

by Anonymousreply 4501/08/2011

Sorry to echo, but she is genuinely nice, gay-friendly and generous. She personally helped a friend of mine through a difficult financial time.

by Anonymousreply 4601/08/2011

I always thought Michael W. Smith was so handsome, like OMG!

by Anonymousreply 4701/08/2011

[quote]Jamie Stein, or something like that. He was hot back then, wonder what he looks like now%0D %0D On the Amy Grant Greatest Hits Video on DVD, you can hear Amy Grant's comentary through each music video, and she commented that Jamie Stein still looks the same, and still single. Her comments are funny and interesting, especially when she discovered Jamie Stein.%0D %0D Btw, the brunette model on the "Every Heartbeat" is drop dead gorgeous, who is he?

by Anonymousreply 4801/08/2011

Thank you, r43!

by Anonymousreply 4901/08/2011

Always had a soft spot for her too. Grew up in Nashville and everyone at my private xtian school claimed to be her "cousin". lol

We would also go fishing on her farm for school field trips.

Loved her pop albums and Tender Tennessee Christmas is a family favorite.

She seemed really genuine on the Oprah episode a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 5001/08/2011

I had no idea she was on Oprah, well this kind of sucks. Will they repeat the show soon?

by Anonymousreply 5101/08/2011

R37, I didn't claim she was a PK. I said I was and grew up listening to a bunch of contemporary Christian music in the 80s and early 90s. Amy Grant. Micharl W. Smith. Petra. DC Talk. Point of Grace. On and on, blah blah blah.

I consider myself an atheist now, and consider them all to be mega lame. Those saying Amy is gay friendly, please post some evidence. She is a huge Republican and Jesus-freak. How is she any better than the much maligned Janeane Turner or Patricia Heaton?

by Anonymousreply 5201/08/2011

R26, thanks for that vid. I didn't know "Good for Me" was Amy singing to a woman :) Talk about lesbian subtext in that vid.

I love Amy and her music. I loved her in the 80s when I was uber-religious and the 90s-00s when I was an agnostic.

I met her once after a concert and she was sweet, down to earth and fun.

by Anonymousreply 5301/08/2011

[quote] Those saying Amy is gay friendly, please post some evidence. She is a huge Republican and Jesus-freak. How is she any better than the much maligned Janeane Turner or Patricia Heaton?

Exactly. If Amy is as gay-friendly and supportive and non-judgmental as everyone seems to insist she is, why does she donate thousands and thousands of dollars to right-wing Republicans?

by Anonymousreply 5401/08/2011

THANK YOU SO MUCH, R34. I never considered myself an Amy Grant fan, but I just listened to that track three times in a row! Janis Ian was a genius songwriter. Just divine. Great, great cover.

by Anonymousreply 5501/08/2011

Oh! My favorite is the duet Amy does with Melissa Etheridge!

(Melissa calls her 'my friend Amy Grant')

Baby You can sleep while I drive...

by Anonymousreply 5601/08/2011

She broke up Vince Gill marriage

by Anonymousreply 5701/08/2011

Melissa is also a friend of Rick Warren.

by Anonymousreply 5801/08/2011

She gets to taste Vince Gill everyday if she wants...lucky her

by Anonymousreply 5901/08/2011

r54, you're welcome! I'm just disappointed that it wasn't added to her Greatest Hits DVD. You can only see on the "Heart in Motion" VHS tape.

by Anonymousreply 6001/09/2011

Here's the alternate version of the "Good for Me" video with the Dolby Digital track. Also, better image. Amy didn't release it commercially, because she didn't like the edit. Personally, I love it.

by Anonymousreply 6101/09/2011

The 12" version of "Baby Baby" on PCM Stereo. It's best to hear this through earphones, it rocks!

by Anonymousreply 6201/09/2011

You're welcome, r56! It's always been a favorite of mine. You probably already know but for those that don't Janis Ian released her own version on her comeback album BREAKING SILENCE in 1993. Both versions are great.

by Anonymousreply 6301/09/2011

I didn't know there was an alternate video for "Good For Me". I'm surprised it wasn't on her Greatest Hits DVD like both versions of the "House Of Love" video were.

by Anonymousreply 6401/09/2011

I always liked her version of 'How Can We See That Far'. Also 'Beautiful'.

by Anonymousreply 6501/09/2011

[quote]Is she well liked here? %0D %0D 2,343 DLers don't like her. 14 aren't sure. 7 never heard of her. One asked if she played the adopted daughter on "Lou Grant." The rest like her.

by Anonymousreply 6601/09/2011

I recall watching her 1st hubby Gary Chapman hosting Prime Time Country shortly after it was confirmed she was with Vince.

He was interviewing the group SheDaisy and was falling over himself over the older sister Krysten Osborn. Stopped a conversation mid sentence to say how beautiful her eyes were. It came off rather awkward.

Shocked to find out many years later that sister is a lesbian.

I guess he has had a couple wives since.

by Anonymousreply 6701/09/2011

Krysten Osborn is a lesbian?? Proof please

by Anonymousreply 6801/09/2011

JMe Stein in the Baby, Baby video reminds me of Josh Wald. Amy knows how to pick them.

by Anonymousreply 6901/09/2011

I agree with you, r70. However, love JMe Stein on "Good For Me" but prefer the 2 women in the other version.

by Anonymousreply 7001/09/2011

Loved that album, R34. I first heard hr back in the late 70's and loved her. My mom sang a lot in church and had her albums. As a boy I found her music an escape from most of the christian crap I had to listen to since I was forbidden pop music. I will always have a soft spot for her.

by Anonymousreply 7101/09/2011

Here's 'Beautiful'

by Anonymousreply 7201/09/2011

OMG, I love that video! Thx!!

by Anonymousreply 7301/09/2011

If I remember correctly, r69, she's partnered with Canadian singer Jann Arden. I'll try to find some proof.

by Anonymousreply 7401/09/2011

"Btw, the brunette model on the "Every Heartbeat" is drop dead gorgeous, who is he?"%0D %0D I know what you mean, that guy was MAJORLY hot! Loved him in that tank top he wore in the video!%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 7501/09/2011

I'd be into Vince Gill if I was a chubby chaser.

I'd totally take him if he looked like he did in this Reba video:

by Anonymousreply 7601/09/2011

[quote] know what you mean, that guy was MAJORLY hot! Loved him in that tank top he wore in the video%0D %0D I'm surprised Amy didn't use him in her other videos.

by Anonymousreply 7701/10/2011

I had the hugest crush on her in the 90s. Felt so dirty feeling that way about a Christian singer!

by Anonymousreply 7801/10/2011

Thanks, r75.

by Anonymousreply 7901/10/2011

I saw her when I was at FIT in NYC in the late 80s when she was still billed as Contemporary Christian. Hugely gay crowd.

by Anonymousreply 8001/10/2011

I knew I was a lesbian because of my massive crush on her as a 13 year old. My room was plastered with pictures of her.

by Anonymousreply 8101/10/2011

Amy Grant satanic witch and lesbian. Amy is very aware of her huge gay following and has gay/lesbian friends. It’s hard to know if Grant meant any of this intentionally or if it was her own way of sneaking in some stuff past the gatekeepers, but there are are glimmers of gay hope dotted all throughout her discography from as early as 1980 when she sang the lyrics her then-husband, Gary Chapman, had written (“all I ever have to be is what you made me/any more or less would be a step out of your plan”) to her own lyrics just a year later (“being this person inside of me/unafraid of being me/no more faces to hide behind …/even if I am the only one who wants to fly”) and even much later, with the 2003 song “Out in the Open” (“there is no jury, there is no judge/ready and waiting are the steady arms of love”). If it all sounds vague or like searching for something that’s not there, keep in mind, more often than not, Grant was nearly as subtle with her Christian references. It seems laughable now, but people used to parse her lyric sheets and balk at how few references there were to Jesus and/or God anytime she had a new album out, noting how increasingly infrequent they were becoming. Much more info, click thru URL to see. Thank you, Sandra Bullock and Jamie Jones

by Anonymousreply 8203/21/2013

[quote]I saw her when I was at FIT in NYC in the late 80s when she was still billed as Contemporary Christian. Hugely gay crowd.

I went to her concert when she was promoting her "Heart In Motion" album, and was shocked to see so many gays in the audience. They were screaming "You go gurl!" Amy shouted back, "Thanks baby doll" They were giving her flowers and candy. It was a riot!

by Anonymousreply 8303/21/2013

A precursor to Shania Twain. Same voice and same MILF looks.

by Anonymousreply 8403/21/2013

Me, too, R6. It's a beautiful song and always makes me cry.

by Anonymousreply 8503/21/2013

I listened to her "Baby, Baby" album and was kind of surprised by the fact that 1) it was pretty good and 2) Shania took the whole Amy Grant aural aesthetic and fucking RAN with it. Shania was basically Amy Grant 2.0 with a little country thrown in....it was as if Mutt coached her to sing just like Amy.

by Anonymousreply 8603/21/2013

Her HEART IN MOTION album is perfect pop. All the singles were amazing, and the non-single cuts are wonderful. She rightfully gained massive success with that album.

by Anonymousreply 8803/21/2013

Madonna should commission Amy Grant to write some pop tunes for her new album.

by Anonymousreply 8903/24/2013

[quote]If you Google her, there are tons of Christian websites saying horrible things about her because she isn't "Christian" enough

When she had her first pop hit with "Find a Way" -- which was actually a Christian song, albeit very subtle -- a fundie girl I knew in college totally freaked out, saying Amy had "backslidden" and was in Satan's clutches.

by Anonymousreply 9003/24/2013

r1's post reminded me of Paltrow's "music career." I thought that was going somewhere? There was even talk about her releasing an album. Did Beyonce slap some sense into her?

by Anonymousreply 9103/24/2013

Did Amy ever release any material similar to her "Heart in Motion" era? Her voice on that record is so wonderful. Any artists of that time period that had similar music?

by Anonymousreply 9211/30/2013

While she may seem like a has-been Christian/Pop singer to many, she is truly a beautiful human being. I spent my teens trying so hard to rid myself of my horrible "affliction" (homosexuality). I was a manager at a Christian bookstore, went to church every time the door were open and didn't even have sex (or any kind) until I was almost 21!

That was in the early-mid 90s and I remember how the so-called Christian media crucified her for going 'secular'....(as if "Baby, Baby" and "Every Heartbeart" could be considered un-Christian in any way). But I remember the Christian radio stations pulling ALL of her music and even some Christian bookstores refused to sell her music.

I couldn't believe how quickly and readily her biggest supporters suddenly turned on her and were ready to crucify her. I had the opportunity to meet her after her second pop album, 'House of Love' was released. I came out about a year earlier and the guy I was dating worked for a local pop radio station, so we spent some time with her backstage prior to the show.

I was anxious to see how she comfortable she would be around us knowning that we were gay. She was such a sweetheart and even gave me a huge hug when we had to say goodbye just before showtime.

She has been also been criticized in recent years for her friendship with Melissa Etheridge and other openly gay/lesbian celebs. Her response- "When we encounter someething that we can't understand or personally relate to, we have a choice- to respond from a place of compassion or a place of judgment. I choose compassion and love!"

by Anonymousreply 9312/04/2013

I remember her Heart in Motion album being surprisingly good.

The one track on it about the girl that's being molested always creeped me out, especially the line, "she's his little rag...and he's mopping up his need..." It also seemed confusing to me because I know it was supposed to be a Testimonial song, but really came off as anything but.

by Anonymousreply 9412/04/2013

"When we encounter someething that we can't understand or personally relate to, we have a choice- to respond from a place of compassion or a place of judgment. I choose compassion and love!"

That sounds really condescending actually.

by Anonymousreply 9512/04/2013
Need more help? Click Here.