Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

''Took all my pills, bye bye'': Woman commits suicide on Facebook... and none of her 1,082 online friends help

A depressed charity worker killed herself as Facebook users mocked a suicide note she left on the social networking website.

So-called Facebook %E2%80%98friends%E2%80%99 of Simone Back responded with cruel messages after she posted a message that read: %E2%80%98Took all my pills be dead soon so bye bye every one.%E2%80%99

One user replied calling her a liar who %E2%80%98overdoses all the time%E2%80%99 while another said it was %E2%80%98her choice%E2%80%99. Miss Back, 42, is thought to have been dying of an overdose as the messages were posted on Christmas Day.

Yesterday Miss Back%E2%80%99s mother demanded to know why none of her daughter%E2%80%99s 1,082 Facebook friends tried to save her.

Jennifer Langridge, 60, said: %E2%80%98Nobody told me anything about it until the following day when I was sent a text saying %E2%80%9CGet help%E2%80%9D. I am disabled so can%E2%80%99t get up the stairs to Simone%E2%80%99s flat so I called the police straight away. It is upsetting to think nobody did anything for my daughter.%E2%80%99

Miss Back%E2%80%99s friend, Samantha Owen, said: %E2%80%98Everyone just carried on arguing with each other on Facebook like it wasn%E2%80%99t happening. Some of those people lived within walking distance of Simone.

%E2%80%98If one person just left their computer and went to her house her life could have been saved.%E2%80%99

Miss Back posted her final status update at 10.53pm on Christmas Day. At 11pm, one of Miss Back%E2%80%99s friends wrote in response: %E2%80%98She ODs all the time and she lies.%E2%80%99

An hour later a Facebook user wrote: %E2%80%98Did you catch the part about Simone taking pills?? .. the %E2%80%98bye bye%E2%80%99 part?? Did anyone go by personally and check on Simone.. or call 999?? what%E2%80%99s wrong with you people??%E2%80%99

The first friend responded: %E2%80%98She does it all the time, takes all of her pills,%E2%80%99 adding: %E2%80%98She%E2%80%99s not a kid anymore.%E2%80%99

Another Facebook user replied: %E2%80%98If any of you lot actually call yourself a friend one of you should call around and see if she%E2%80%99s ok, so glad I don%E2%80%99t personally know any of you, heartless.%E2%80%99

After the discovery of Miss Back%E2%80%99s body on Boxing Day, Mrs Langridge posted a message on her daughter%E2%80%99s page: %E2%80%98My daughter Simone passed away today so please leave her alone now.%E2%80%99

Miss Back, from Brighton, is thought to have had relationship troubles.

A spokesman for the site insisted the safety of its users was of %E2%80%9Cparamount importance%E2%80%9D.

A statement said Facebook was %E2%80%9Cdeeply saddened%E2%80%9D to hear of Ms Back%E2%80%99s death.

'We have a close working relationship with the Samaritans and have a process in place whereby friends and family who are concerned about someone can report it to us through the help centre,%E2%80%9D it said.

'A team of trained professionals are then able to review the case and the Samaritans will make contact with the person at risk.'

* For confidential support call the Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90 or visit a local Samaritans branch, see for details

Simone Back's last message was posted on Christmas Day.

At 10:53pm she posted: 'Took all my pills be dead soon bye bye everyone.'

11.01pm Friend A: 'She ODs all the time and she lies.'

11.02pm Friend B: 'I hope that she is lying about this or you're going to feel guilty tomorrow.'

Boxing Day, 12.09am Friend C: 'Did you catch the part about Simone taking pills?? .. the 'bye bye' part?? Did anyone go by personally and check on Simone.. or call 999?? what's wrong with you people?? is the gossip really more important than her??'

12.56am Friend A: 'She does it all the time, takes all of her pills. She's not a kid anymore.'

12.01pm Friend D: 'She has a choice and taking pills over a relationship is not a good enough reason.'

Miss Back's mother Jennifer Langridge later posted on her daughter's Facebook page: 'My daughter Simone passed away today so please leave her alone now.'

by Anonymousreply 8704/09/2014

I agree that Facebook is degradingly fake. It's a juvenile popularity contest.

by Anonymousreply 901/05/2011

If the posts in the article are all the evidence of 'mocking', I would seriously question the premise of the article. They might not be kind of loving, but they are not cruel or taunting, either.

by Anonymousreply 1001/05/2011

Were her friends all DL posters?

by Anonymousreply 1101/05/2011

R3 and R6 have an astounding grasp of the obvious.

by Anonymousreply 1201/05/2011

R10, the woman committed suicide and posted it asshole.

by Anonymousreply 1301/05/2011

How utterly pathetic to announce your suicide on facebook.

How utterly pathetic are her friends?

Drama-depressed acting out Brit dyke; no wonder they were so bitter about her psots.

by Anonymousreply 1401/05/2011

What's even more pathetic is having your own funeral posted on facebook to "share" with your "friends". That networking site even ruins [italic]Rest in Peace[/italic].

by Anonymousreply 1501/05/2011

I wonder how many people pushed "Like" under her update.

by Anonymousreply 1601/05/2011

Of the 1082 Facebook friends, only about 4 or 5 were probably 'real' friends.

by Anonymousreply 1701/05/2011

[quote]Yesterday Miss Back's mother demanded to know why none of her daughter's 1,082 Facebook friends tried to save her. [quote]Jennifer Langridge, 60, said: 'Nobody told me anything about it until the following day when I was sent a text saying "Get help". I am disabled so can't get up the stairs to Simone's flat so I called the police straight away. It is upsetting to think nobody did anything for my daughter.' Hey Mom, where were YOU on Christmas morning? You failed your daughter.

by Anonymousreply 1801/05/2011

Most likely 5 of those on FB were friends and it was the holidays, so were to busy to check their FB. Where was the ex-girlfriend?

by Anonymousreply 1901/05/2011

Whenever suicidal people post on the DL people are very helpful. If she posted here she would still be alive.

by Anonymousreply 2001/05/2011

But did she end the post with :(

by Anonymousreply 2101/05/2011

She did it for the lulz.

by Anonymousreply 2201/05/2011

Who inherits her farm on Farmville?

by Anonymousreply 2301/05/2011

Her mom was disable and unable to check on her. If she wanted to die she would have just taken the pills and that would have been the end of it. By sharing she was hoping someone cared enough to help. She was wrong. Sad but at least she is beyond being hurt now.

by Anonymousreply 2401/05/2011

It's true that DLers, for all the sang-froid and sheen of bitterness they display, are actually a caring bunch when this kind of thing happens on DL. Many Facebook posters seem to want to out snark each other all the time. It's disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 2601/05/2011

r25, this is the power and the danger of Facebook.%0D %0D These people really believe faebook is real life and that these "friends" would somehow save them from themselves.%0D %0D It's fucking sick and as I said above - Facebook DEGRADES human relationships to nothing - to a void.%0D %0D It's not real. But death certainly is.

by Anonymousreply 2801/05/2011

With friends like those ...

by Anonymousreply 2901/05/2011

Well, I think it's sad.

by Anonymousreply 3001/05/2011

This happened on LiveJournal a few years ago. A moderator of a pro-anorexia group said she had been stockpiling pills and was going to sit in front of the fire, drinking scotch and taking the pills needed to kill herself, and apparently no one bothered to check on her. I wish I could remember the group or the person's LiveJournal name. And years and years ago, a Usenet group called (originally about how suicides increase during holidays) had several people say they were going to kill themselves, and they were ENCOURAGED. (And many times, they did kill themselves. Made the news twice.) Don't ask for sympathy online because most people are shits, and are even worse shits when anonymous.

by Anonymousreply 3101/05/2011

You're telling me, r31!

by Anonymousreply 3201/05/2011

R25, do you seriously expect a suicidal person to act responsibly?

What a maroon!

by Anonymousreply 3301/06/2011

R6 = Alberta Einstein.

by Anonymousreply 3401/06/2011

If she played a game like I used to when I had Facebook, for example Sorority Life (I think was the name) I added a couple of thousand people so they could be a part of my "sorority house" and actually became cool with a handful. :) They rest wouldn't have any reason to see after me if I was continually trying to kill myself. The first time, yes, but after you've pulled that stunt, casual friends will not be alarmed by the threat.

by Anonymousreply 3501/06/2011

Also, to be fair, don't blame social networking sites because I've heard of this happened a handful of times already and people contacted police, and in a couple of cases the police were notified, rushed over only for it to be too late. Sad, a different set of strangers would've sent help, which would've actually saved her (because of the method she used).

by Anonymousreply 3601/06/2011

Is there ever a point at which a longtime clinically depressed person who truly wants to commit suicide, should be allowed to the point where others just stand by and let them? Or should the effort always be made to stop the suicide, help them live, even if living is misery to them and no treatment seems to help and they truly seem to want to cease existing? This may sound callous but, man, there are 6 billion people crowded onto the planet -- if some are truly miserable and begging to exit, while so many others are full of the will to live despite some awful challenges (cancer, AIDS, quadriplegic, abject poverty, missing limbs, blindness, severe burn victim, etc)... I don't know, maybe the intractably miserable suicidal person should be let go, should be let to do what they feel they must. Focus help on those who want to live or whose suicidal condition *can* be turned around. It seems some cannot.

by Anonymousreply 3701/06/2011

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 3801/06/2011

by Anonymousreply 3901/06/2011

Ok, maybe my grammar and spelling skills are slipping but what's wrong with "sang-froid"?

by Anonymousreply 4001/06/2011

Did anyone see her picture? Would you have stopped her?

by Anonymousreply 4101/06/2011

R39 sums it up perfectly.%0D

by Anonymousreply 4201/06/2011

You woefully uninformed about serious depression, R43.

by Anonymousreply 4401/06/2011

by Anonymousreply 4501/06/2011

A lot of peoploe seem to think that their serious depression is everyone else's business. It's not. This woman lived in the UK, which has socialized medicine. She could have gone for therapy. She could have called a prevention hotline. She could have joined a support group.%0D %0D Facebook isn't there to save your life or to make you happy. It's a private enterprise, making billions of dollars for people who own it and advertise on it. You get to use it for fun and chat. That's it.

by Anonymousreply 4601/06/2011

People who are suffering often don't seek help, R46. Or receive the right help.

by Anonymousreply 4701/06/2011

R47, that's not Facebook's fault.

by Anonymousreply 4801/06/2011

Then it's social darwinism, R47. If someone doesn't have the sense to take care of themselves then they wind up gone. Sounds as if this woman had done this before. People feel manipulated when they have to wonder "is this time for real?" They have their own lives to worry about, their own families to care for, their own problems to deal with and after a few times rushing to so-and-so's flat to see if s/he are ok, they decide they need to move on because someone has formed a toxic relationship with them.%0D %0D Alcoholics do the same thing. They play off people around them, manipulating their friends and families for as long as they can. Some of them die of alcoholism, some of them go to AA and some of them quit cold turkey. There are only so many times you can designate the rest of the world be your savior. You have to decide to become your own savior and do things to help yourself, or else you will find that you've played the game one too many times and with too few players this time around.

by Anonymousreply 4901/06/2011

She's a contemporary Kitty Genovese, who was also a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 5001/06/2011

R44 is absolutely correct about R43. Stop spouting erroneous bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 5101/06/2011

Aw, you only wish you were as drunk as David E could get, R50.

by Anonymousreply 5201/06/2011

Nor did I say it was Facebook's fault, cheekster.

by Anonymousreply 5301/06/2011

r43 and r49 are correct.

by Anonymousreply 5401/06/2011

Why has no one discussed the name of the deceased's gf - Melanie Herring

by Anonymousreply 5601/06/2011

This is not the dark side of Facebook. It's the dark side of the human condition. People used to say the same thing about television. It's better to face what it really is instead of demonizing the media through which we communicate the same old shit. And online friends CAN be real friends. It's not the internet's fault if people don't have the wherewithal to tell the difference. And I'm sorry, but if this girl did cry wolf constantly, then I don't blame her friends for getting sick of it and not checking on her.

by Anonymousreply 5801/06/2011

R44/51- you're wrong. Period. I said... "There are millions of people living with mental illness, and they struggle bravely while trying to cope and persevere. My heart goes out to those people. Not to some idiot who used her illness to inflict pain upon others." I stand by that. People with "serious depression" don't use facebook as a place to try to manipulate their friends and family. That's something a sociopath does. This woman had faked suicide multiple times before, and people had grown weary of her manipulation. They had families of their own; they were supposed to drop everything on Christmas Day to run to "save" someone who'd lied about suicide time and time again? You're ridiculous. And you're bigoted. Most people suffering with mental illness and depression don't pull this shit. People like this woman are in NO WAY representative of people suffering from depression. You're prejudiced and relying on stereotypes.

by Anonymousreply 5901/07/2011

I feel so bad for him.

by Anonymousreply 6001/07/2011

[quote]Yesterday Miss Back's mother demanded to know why none of her daughter's 1,082 Facebook friends tried to save her.%0D %0D Because Facebook is the SCURGE of the PLANET FFS.%0D %0D Nobody on these fucking things are your 'friends'. It's just virtual day-glo bashing and moronic curiosity.%0D %0D And some guy's making millions off of it.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6101/08/2011

Agree with r59

by Anonymousreply 6201/08/2011

So sad about Simone. Just to let you know that there is a game in Facebook called "Sorority Life" where you are continuosly being harrased, bullied, insulted, etc. Playdom, the creator of this game doesn´t care about this serious problem and is not even accepting to report that kind of people. The option was desactivated by them about one month ago. I know it well because I´ve tried to stop this behaviour by informing them on the bad practices shown by some players. The only response I´ve received has been from Facebook Support Dashboard, a newly created way to report these issues. Playdom is not interested on losing the money collected by having this people playing hard, they´re are VIP and pay a monthly for protection.

by Anonymousreply 6311/27/2012

what gets me is that her mother asks why did none of her 1082 online friends help.

what state was her relationship with her mother in, that she could not go to her with her problems she needed to SOS on facebook she intends to kill herself.

also, as one of the friends said she does it all the time. don't fucking cry wolf.

my friend did the same thing to me 3 times, by the end of it I was like make your choice. good luck. i cannot spend my life chasing after you when you take a handful of pills.

if someone really wants to kill themselves they do not SOS it they do what they need to do and are discovered when they do not turn up for work or the smell and flies make the neighbours complain.

from the looks of it she probably cried wolf once to often and accidentally killed herself. whatever

by Anonymousreply 6511/27/2012

r66 please tell us more about leaving lesbianism.

by Anonymousreply 6711/27/2012

Actually r62, r59 is not technically correct.

I have bi-polar I in my family, and being manipulative and passive-aggressive is considered by some professionals I've spoken to as part of the disease.

The attention seeking is also part of the manic phase of serious bi polar disorder. I've seen it many times in my own family. The manic person tries to suck everyone around the into the manic vortex.

I'm not saying this woman is bi-polar, but it does happen in the mentally ill.

As much as I'm miserable with bi-polar II, I thank god I'm not as bad as those in the first level.

by Anonymousreply 6811/27/2012

I agree with R67, more from R66 please.

by Anonymousreply 6911/27/2012

thanks, r66.

lol @ "lesbians are beyond crazy as are most women"

Are you bi now?

by Anonymousreply 7111/27/2012

Why should the woman have been "helped" not to commit suicide? She was an adult and for adults suicide can be a rational choice. In any event, it was no one's responsibility to run in and save this woman (from whom, herself?). She's an adult, and the responsibility for her actions ultimately lies with her alone, NOT her friends or even with her mother.

I'm sorry but you bleeding hearts who want to shift responsibility for this woman's death onto her FB community are ridiculous. She made the decision to kill herself: the responsibility lies with her.

by Anonymousreply 7211/27/2012

r71, I still lust after women, but I am married so I can't touch

by Anonymousreply 7311/27/2012

r72 = Mitt Romney

by Anonymousreply 7411/27/2012

Except for her mother she was alone. I understand her path I walk it.

by Anonymousreply 7504/08/2014

This thread (ajd this woman's death) are more than two years old.

by Anonymousreply 7604/08/2014

People attention whore online all the time posting things like that. That's why people are desensitized to it.

by Anonymousreply 7704/08/2014

It sounds like no one thought she'd go through with it.

by Anonymousreply 7804/09/2014

R66/R70, you are bisexual, and a troll at that.

by Anonymousreply 7904/09/2014

R75, why did you bump a stupid dead thread?

by Anonymousreply 8004/09/2014

The British people seem very cold,numb and hopeless.

by Anonymousreply 8104/09/2014

[quote] Yesterday Miss Back’s mother demanded to know why none of her daughter’s 1,082 Facebook friends tried to save her.

Why should they? She's a grown woman; she can make her own choices. And it sounds like she's attempted it quite a few times before.

by Anonymousreply 8204/09/2014

Can you have so many 'friends' on facebook and not be a severe narcissist?

by Anonymousreply 8304/09/2014

She was too pretty to die.

by Anonymousreply 8404/09/2014

Sad that she died, but clearly she was trying to get the attention of ex GF. She botched the first step of a fake suicide---only take enough pills to be passed out when the concerned friends show up to check on you.

by Anonymousreply 8504/09/2014

Fuck me R84, that was too scary to see first thing in the AM.

by Anonymousreply 8604/09/2014

ah good old social media and Facebook! Look, if someone really wants to kill themselves they will eventually. Usually the people who are serious don't tell it to anybody.

I agree with the poster who stated that most FB friends are not "real friends." They are people who are too into their own lives and posting every fuckin thing they do for the rest of their "friends" to comment on. I say get off the computer more often and live life!

by Anonymousreply 8704/09/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!