Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

How much do celebs pay their PR flacks?

The really top ones who are always releasing 'no comment' statements to the media....

by Anonymousreply 7301/29/2013

Not enough!

by Anonymousreply 401/03/2011

yeah - what about the C D and F actors - can they even afford to hire top publicists?

by Anonymousreply 501/03/2011

So they pay $100,000 per annum then?

by Anonymousreply 701/03/2011

How short is Sean Penn?

by Anonymousreply 801/03/2011

B, C, D level celebs are paying their pubs $1,500 to $2,500 a month. A-level celebs pay more but it's negotiated individually. And usually a flat fee and not a percentage of salary unless the publicist is directly responsible for the compensation. (i.e. Negotiating an appearance fee to attend a party or press even.)

by Anonymousreply 901/03/2011

so how much a year does that make it?

by Anonymousreply 1001/04/2011

But do most B/C list actors have PR's? I'm thinking of the ones you see regularly on tv but not in the tabs. If you have to cough up for an agent, manager and PR that must come to quite a pretty piece of coin. Although I suppose it's deductible.

by Anonymousreply 1101/04/2011

No wonder Hollywood tells the closet cases to stay in the closet..They'll be out of a job if everybody comes out.

by Anonymousreply 1201/04/2011

i assumed they all had PR flacks

by Anonymousreply 1301/04/2011

Then where the hell do they get the money to pay all these people? Considering what most tv gigs pay these days.

by Anonymousreply 1401/04/2011

Some B/C celebs do, some don't. Chances are if you're seeing their pics on the red carpet or at openings of businesses or charity events, they have a publicist. If you're not seeing them, they don't.

If they're a regular on a series, often they don't need a publicist because the show itself will have its own publicist.

by Anonymousreply 1501/04/2011

Actors are not the smartest class of people. They need somebody telling them when to wipe their nose.

by Anonymousreply 1601/04/2011

Here's something I've always wondered: how does one become a publicist? It's not like you can go to school for it...or is it?

by Anonymousreply 1701/04/2011

R10 try multiplying by 12.

by Anonymousreply 1801/04/2011

Yes, r17, you can go to school for PR...sheesh.

by Anonymousreply 1901/04/2011

what about indie actors who only rarely appear in mainstream stuff - do they need pr reps?

by Anonymousreply 2001/04/2011

How much does Just Jared get from each actor/actress regular?

by Anonymousreply 2101/04/2011

R12 hit the nail on the head. Closeting gay actors is quite profitable and also creates job opportunities and excuses to flaunt and expose actors.%0D %0D It's all about the bottom line, just like everything else, and very little to do with whether the public is ready for a gay star. Hell, 75% of the population believe all HW are gay already.

by Anonymousreply 2201/04/2011

So, you only hire PR if you want to hide your sexuality? What other reasons are there?

by Anonymousreply 2301/05/2011

No. But you do hire one if you want to promote yourself

by Anonymousreply 2401/05/2011

I think there are other reasons...

by Anonymousreply 2501/05/2011

Promotion. Handling and shaping an 'image'.

by Anonymousreply 2601/05/2011

What about Angelina Jolie?

She doesn't have a publicist,she's not a client to any PR firm nor does she have an agent..

Even Brad Pitt fired his long time Publicist

Here's an article about it

by Anonymousreply 2701/05/2011

[quote]Brad and Angie want to give off the impression of being above it all, so, for the most part, they either speak for themselves or say nothing at all. They are experts in manipulating public opinion with their actions, not via spokespeople. Most recently they stepped out with the kids, all smiles and happiness, when the less than flattering tell-all book Brangelina by Ian Halperin was released, knowing full well that photos are much more powerful than anything an "insider" can say.

So essentially they are still manipulating the media, they just aren't using a publicist to do it. Because those 2 famewhores can't do anything without alerting the press first. Their charity, children, everything is up for public consumption to enhance their brand.

by Anonymousreply 2801/05/2011

[quote]How much does Just Jared get from each actor/actress regular?

Good question, because half of the actresses he highlights are a bunch of z listers like Rachel Bilson, Kate Bosworth, and Ashley Green.

by Anonymousreply 2901/05/2011

Imagine the year Charlie Sheen's publicist had.

by Anonymousreply 3001/05/2011

I thought Just Jared was a website not a publicist?

by Anonymousreply 3101/06/2011

he is!

by Anonymousreply 3201/06/2011

I imagine the closets cases pay more so that is where the publicists prefer to go to.

by Anonymousreply 3301/09/2011

[quote]No wonder Hollywood tells the closet cases to stay in the closet..They'll be out of a job if everybody comes out.%0D %0D I was saying this here years ago when we used to debate the Toothy Tile stuff ad nauseum. %0D %0D The whole industry is a self-serving monster, one element feeds into another and tries not to upset the applecart, else money and careers are at stake and not just the actor/tress concerned. %0D %0D There are literally hundreds of jobs that revolve around monitoring the internets, planting PR stories and even, even - planting 'the actor everyone assumes to be gay really isn't, he's been banging call girls' 'blind items' to counter gay gossip.%0D %0D It's a paradise for jobsworths. When an actor is told not to come out for the 'sake of his career', he has the added pressure of not coming out for every other fucker's career too, including these desk jobsworths.%0D %0D Well screw them all I say. Go stack some shelves. The closet needs to end.

by Anonymousreply 3401/09/2011

Who is supposed to be the best publicist in Hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 3501/18/2011

Here is a list of some stars and their publicists - VALENTINE'S DAY (2010):%0D %0D Kathy Bates%0D Publicist: None%0D Grade: F%0D Last Seen: Nowhere--premiere included. The Oscar-winner is unjustifiably lost in the shuffle alongside glitzier names, when really, she should be milking this like Meryl.%0D %0D Julia Roberts%0D Publicist: None%0D Grade: D%0D Last Seen: Aside from launching headlines by joking Jennifer Garner was "quite slim" at the film's press conference (you probably had to be there), Julia's had more to say about sitting beside Paul McCartney at the Golden Globes than this movie. She can rehire her publicist anytime now.%0D %0D Jamie Foxx%0D Publicist: Whitney Tancred%0D Grade: C-%0D Last Seen: He did the junkets with Jessica Biel, and yet his name is more likely to get "Blame It" stuck in your head than get you to the movies.%0D %0D Patrick Dempsey%0D Publicist: Leslie Sloane%0D Grade: B-%0D Last Seen: Well... he'll be famous on Thursday. The Grey's Anatomy star is due to be adorable on Ellen, then banter with his co-worker at ABC, Jimmy Kimmel, that night. %0D %0D Taylors (Lautner and Swift)%0D Publicist: Evelyn Karamanos (Lautner)%0D Grade: B%0D Last Seen: Between Lautner's New Moon star turn and Swift's awards show massacre, not to mention that well-documented fling, we've seen plenty of these two in recent weeks. Neither have had much to say about this film (Taylor Swift was on tour in Australia and skipped the premiere), a savvy strategy for staving off overexposure.%0D %0D Anne Hathaway%0D Publicists: Stephen Huvane, Emily Yomtobian%0D Grade: B%0D Last Seen: She's on the March cover of InStyle and will be on Ellen this Friday, but Brits already saw a lot more of her. She posed for British GQ in a bustier and undies. Don't tell Julie Andrews.%0D %0D Jessica Alba%0D Publicist: Brad Cafarelli%0D Grade: B%0D Last Seen: She swung by for one of the Jay Leno Show's death gasps and danced onto Ellen on Monday, but the mom of 20-month-old daughter Honor was the most revealing in U.K. Cosmopolitan, where she denied rumours of a tryst between her husband and Lindsay Lohan. %0D %0D Jennifer Garner%0D Publicist: Holly Shakoor%0D Grade: A-%0D Last Seen: Jen took the past year and a half off to raise her girls Violet, 4, and Seraphina, 1, but, kudos to her, it never felt like she went away. She's spun the two weeks she spent filming Valentine's Day into a Marie Claire cover with Jessica Biel, and a girly-friendly appearance on Letterman Tuesday night.%0D %0D Jessica Biel%0D Publicist: Meredith O'Sullivan%0D Grade: A%0D Last Seen: This girl's been everywhere, including on the top of Mount Kilimanjaro. Along with such coveted real-estate as the cover of Vogue, a shared Marie Claire cover with pal Jennifer Garner, and an upcoming appearance on Wednesday's Letterman, she's also been putting in time doing TV junkets alongside Jamie Foxx.%0D %0D Ashton Kutcher%0D Publicist: Kathleen Flaherty %0D Grade: A+%0D Last Seen: There've been plenty of places to follow Ashton besides Twitter (although his 4.5 million followers have received a healthy push of publicity for the film). Along with the cover of Parade magazine and a seat on his co-star George Lopez's late-night couch, Ashton's coming off the one-two punch of a successful hosting gig on SNL and sharing the final moments of Jay Leno's 10pm talk show Tuesday night. %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3601/18/2011

Tom Cruise's ex-publicist Pat Kingsley

by Anonymousreply 3701/18/2011

Hollywood PR Meltdown -- the End of Powerhouse PMK/HBH aka Pat Kingsley's old firm%0D %0D December 2009%0D %0D "But on the other side of the coin, profits matter. Hollywood PR heavies hang their hats at big shops because they have people there to whom they can delegate %E2%80%93 without a support system, flacking for 12 or 15 or 20 clients becomes unsustainable.%0D %0D And since most billing is flat-fee, the business can%E2%80%99t grow unless you build the understructure to support more clients than one person could handle."%0D %0D PMK defectors and their major clients"%0D %0D JENNIFER ALLEN: Matt Damon, Christian Bale, Jodie Foster%0D %0D ROBIN BAUM: Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, Daniel Craig%0D %0D ANDY GELB: The AMAs, the SAG Awards%0D %0D SIMON HALLS: Matthew Broderick, Jude Law, Ang Lee%0D %0D STEPHEN HUVANE: Jennifer Aniston, Anne Hathaway, Gwyneth Paltrow%0D %0D MELISSA KATES: Courteney Cox Arquette, Katherine Heigl, Shia LeBeouf%0D %0D %0D In December 2010, Cheryl Maisel decided to leave Rogers and Cowan and return to PMK/BNC as Executive Vice President of Talent. She had been at PMK when Pat Kingsley controlled the company.%0D %0D CHERYL MAISEL: Keanu Reeves, Sandra Bullock, Craig Ferguson

by Anonymousreply 3801/18/2011

so 15% to managers, 5% to PR, 10% to agents and 33% to IRS?%0D %0D %0D yikes%0D %0D B-Listers must be poor%0D %0D %0D (no wonder that True Blood actress lived in that DL poster's cheap building!)

by Anonymousreply 3901/18/2011

I killed the thread!

by Anonymousreply 4001/21/2011

This is why they like high school drop outs as actors. They are not that worldly and are easy to control/profit from.

PMK is still the pinnacle.

by Anonymousreply 4101/21/2011

Isn't PMK considered 2nd tier now, R41?

by Anonymousreply 4201/22/2011

Sometimes a publicist/PR person comes as part of the agency package if you have an agent. They don't only service one client, they have several. That's how the C,D,& E listers get covered. They do much more than interact with the media or generate news releases.%0D %0D A good, top level publicist who's part of a good management team'll help develop a marketing plan to build an image, and take your professional career in the direction you all agree it needs to go. You'll strategize with them about how you want to be perceived.%0D %0D There are celebs out here who go to the opening of an envelope. They are to accessible, too visible and cheapen themselves. %0D %0D There are others who are more elitist. There is a lot of calculation in deciding about even the most ordinary seeming, everyday actions, depending on what you want to project and who your target audience is. It's a marketing and advertising function really.

by Anonymousreply 4301/22/2011

plus they keep a lid on the gay rumors...

by Anonymousreply 4401/22/2011

You really don't need PR. I love when a big PR with multi million budget screwed up.

*************My book mark*************

by Anonymousreply 4501/22/2011

yes r45 I agree. well put.

by Anonymousreply 4601/22/2011

Not enough to stop you bitches gossiping anout me

by Anonymousreply 4701/22/2011

B and C grade actors can get a deal for sexual favours from A grade actors at hollywood sex parties

by Anonymousreply 4901/22/2011

I used to think Pat Kingsley was overpaid. %0D %0D Then, she and Tom parted ways and he made a beeline to Oprah's sofa.%0D %0D When I saw that day, I thought, 'Pat, you were underpaid.'

by Anonymousreply 5001/22/2011

I'm thinking Keanu Reeves pay his, a huge amount of money.

by Anonymousreply 5101/22/2011

A few years ago, I temped for one of the people in r38's list and helped filing emails (a lot between the agent and many celebrities mentioned here). The only dollar amount I remember was $50,000 for a very well-known male singer and I could've swore it was per month.

by Anonymousreply 5201/22/2011

What about a top publicist like Nancy Seltzer?%0D %0D She's worked with lots of A-listers and is supposedly a total bitch

by Anonymousreply 5301/29/2011

[quote]Anne Hathaway Publicists: Stephen Huvane, Emily Yomtobian Grade: B Last Seen: She's on the March cover of InStyle and will be on Ellen this Friday, but Brits already saw a lot more of her. She posed for British GQ in a bustier and undies. Don't tell Julie Andrews.

Well that explains why this overrated bitch is always in my face.

TWO publicists.

by Anonymousreply 5401/29/2011

I think a lot of publicists are major bitches. When I was right out of school I interviewed with Mara Buxbaum, who reps some big names. She was over an hour late, did not apologize and basically gave off a big bitch vibe. My friend, who worked at a big agency, told me she was known as such.

Though the worst publicist I ever encountered was a woman named Amy Brownstein. She treated her assistants like shit. She was a rude, nasty cunt. I rarely use that word, but if it applied to anyone, it was that monster.

by Anonymousreply 5501/29/2011

Too much

by Anonymousreply 5602/02/2011

I've always wanted to knowo who Portia de Rossi's Publicist was and also Sarah Paulson,Isobel Lucas,Hugh Jackman.

by Anonymousreply 5702/02/2011

Hugh Jackman's is Nancy Seltzer - the aformentioned bitch:)

by Anonymousreply 5802/03/2011

by Anonymousreply 5902/03/2011

George Clooney must pay millions a week to keep his homosexual reality hidden.

by Anonymousreply 6002/04/2011

by Anonymousreply 6106/06/2011

[quote]You really don't need PR.%0D %0D Stupidest thing I've read on DL in a long time (and that's saying something).%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6206/06/2011

Gay celebrities pay the most.

by Anonymousreply 6306/06/2011

how do you get a celeb to wear a piece of jewelry to get you noticed.

by Anonymousreply 6407/18/2011

how do you get a celiberty to wear your jewelry?

by Anonymousreply 6507/18/2011

Sometimes gay celebs hire their lovers as publicists. :D Pretty sure they pay a lot.

by Anonymousreply 6607/18/2011

Does anyone know anything about dakota fanning's publicist/manager? I once talked to a guy online from Minnesota or something and he said he was him. Won't say what else he said...

by Anonymousreply 6707/19/2011

You birtches need a calculator and a bookmark for google.

by Anonymousreply 6807/20/2011

[quote]George Clooney must pay millions a week to keep his homosexual reality hidden.%0D %0D I think this bypassed America but 2 weeks ago the UK's daily hetero shill faux romance paper The Daily Mail ran a completely leftfield item from 'George's Italian Deisgner/Hairdresser Extraordinaire Best Friend'....whose name escapes me as it's not Matt Damon or Mark Wahlberg, etc, and the whole article was on how 'George is NOT gay'.%0D %0D That was the headline. Just this guy squealing: 'George is NOT gay' because I, his designer friend whom nobody knows, says so. And I get to air that opinion in the Daily Mail. %0D %0D It was weird timing on the back of his split with the as usual 'devastated' Canalis, who seems also - bizarrely - to have a mini fanclub here with some Italian posting how so not a beard/how wonderful she is. The Daily Mail, months ago, printed a huge article which implicated Canalis in drugs/vice at top level with Italian politics but the story then sank.I presume someone either got it wrong (cough) or someone was paid nicely to just shut up. PR in effect? Probably. %0D %0D The whole thing is just wierd but George's friend piping up and getting a whole article to do it in was even stranger in context. %0D %0D That, I assume, is the extent of PR also. Because this guy's a nobody and on his own who would have cared what he thought or needed his opinion on George's sexuality? Why would it matter. It just fans the flames.

by Anonymousreply 6907/20/2011

Wow R69 get a blog. Or a hobby. Creepy analysis.

by Anonymousreply 7007/20/2011

Public Relation firms thrive on creating a culture of fear. They are like the Fox News of Showbiz.

by Anonymousreply 7107/20/2011

Not enough.

by Anonymousreply 7207/20/2011

AMY BROWNSTEIN - AKA THE MOST NASTY, COLD HEARTED, PATHETIC AND SAD PUBLICIST OUT THERE! She is the most psychotic monster of a publicist I have ever encountered. I worked with her for a short bit and she degraded and insulted me for every second of the day, never sent me a check after slaving over every little task. She is a walking disaster and her personal life is a mess. I've never in my life dealt with someone so rude and disrespectful as her. She thinks that when she hires you, that you become her full time slave and that is literally how she treats you. CLIENTS, DO NOT HIRE HER. SHE WILL NOT GET ANYTHING ACCOMPLISHED FOR YOU. HER LIFE IS TOO MUCH OF A DISASTER! No one lasts working with her for more than 2 weeks, and even that is too long. SHE PAID ME NOTHING!

by Anonymousreply 7301/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!