Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Paula Deen recipes

Has anyone here tried one? Are they any good?%0D %0D You all criticized me for the ham/tomato soup combo last week but Paula has one that is glazed in Coca Cola!

by Anonymousreply 8907/12/2013

Her sons have great recipes, not as unhealthy as her stuff. They have a magazine now - check it out.

Oh, and the younger son, Bobby, is gay.

by Anonymousreply 101/02/2011

What's it called when you want to eat Bobby's ass out?

by Anonymousreply 201/02/2011

Does anyone have her recipe for a triple bypass?

by Anonymousreply 301/02/2011

Someone gave me all of her dessert cookbooks a couple of years ago. I never found anything in them I would have cooked or eaten, so I gave the books away.

I think she's a shill for Crisco.

by Anonymousreply 401/02/2011

She once made a dish out of lollipops dipped in rich choclate and candy. Her guest, a good ol' boy chef, nervously picked it up and remarked: "Aahh don think this is right!"

by Anonymousreply 501/02/2011

My mom used to use Cola to glaze ham or pork roast. It was delicious.

by Anonymousreply 601/02/2011

Her banana pudding recipe is neither subtle nor healthy. But it is divine.

by Anonymousreply 701/02/2011

Coca Cola glaze doesn't really work anymore. When it used to be made with sugar, it was great. Now that Coke is made with corn syrup, it's not good in recipes.

by Anonymousreply 801/02/2011

Her Peach Cobbler is easy and to die for.

by Anonymousreply 901/02/2011

PUHLEASE!! Paula Deen's recipes are nothing more than recipes she's been given by the Food Network food stylists. People should stop idolizing this fool woman. She is not a chef. Hell, she's not even that good a cook. True southern cooks look at the crap Paula Deen makes on her shows and laugh. She's nothing more than a fat hick version of Sandra Lee.

And R1, you are also full of shit. Bobby Deen is not gay.

by Anonymousreply 1001/02/2011

Made her peanut butter cookies. Simple and easy recipe but nothing special. Not even mediocre.

Made one of her son's meatloaf with a mustard and brown sugar glaze. Simple and easy. Tasted OK.

by Anonymousreply 1101/02/2011

Second the vote for the banana pudding. It really is delicious.

Also the brandied steakside mushrooms are a staple at Christmas dinner. Still have some in the refrigerator, in fact.

by Anonymousreply 1201/02/2011

I love her tomato and cheese grits.

by Anonymousreply 1301/02/2011

Forgot to mention the Better Than Sex cake. Really good but I leave off the coconut on top.

by Anonymousreply 1401/02/2011

I made her squash casserole for a "Southern" potluck BBQ when I lived in L.A. People loved it.

I cut the butter down to maybe 2T. and used just used salt, pepper, and cooked a little minced garlic into the onion and butter instead of the "House seasoning." I also think I cooked the squash a bit less so it wasn't a complete mush. Her recipe is below.

Squash Casserole Ingredients

* 6 cups large diced yellow squash and zucchini * Vegetable oil * 1 large onion, chopped * 4 tablespoons butter * 1/2 cup sour cream * 1 teaspoon House seasoning, recipe follows * 1 cup grated cheddar cheese * 1 cup crushed butter crackers (recommended: Ritz)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Saute the squash in a little vegetable oil over medium-low heat until it has completely broken down, about 15 to 20 minutes. Line a colander with a clean tea towel. Place the cooked squash in the lined colander. Squeeze excess moisture from the squash. Set aside.

In a medium size skillet, saute the onion in butter for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and mix all ingredients together except cracker crumbs. Pour mixture into a buttered casserole dish and top with cracker crumbs. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. House Seasoning:

* 1 cup salt * 1/4 cup black pepper * 1/4 cup garlic powder

Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

Yield: 1 1/2 cups

by Anonymousreply 1501/02/2011

I never make any of her recipes, but for Christmas Eve brunch, my niece made some kind of Paula Deen "French Toast Casserole." It looked just OK, but I have to admit that it tasted fantastic. Completely unhealthy, but it was great.

by Anonymousreply 1601/02/2011

Agree with R10's first paragraph.

by Anonymousreply 1701/02/2011

R10 - that's right, Bobby just hasn't found the right woman yet. HA! Sorry to burst your bubble Frau but my friends in Savannah say otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 1801/02/2011

I've made her pumpkin pie recipe a few times - it's basically a cross between a traditional pumpkin pie and a cheesecake. Totally unhealthy but tasty.

I've also made a few candy recipes from Paula. Also, pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 1901/02/2011

I dunno... I kinda think Bobby might be a gay. I don't say that about a whole lotta guys, but I think he's a gay. And that actress he dates - Katy Whatever - total beard. They look about as real together as Jake and Whatsherface. Or, actually, Jake and any Whatsherface.

by Anonymousreply 2001/02/2011

I blew Bobby Deen in Charleston. His cum tasted like whipped butter. Yummo!

by Anonymousreply 2101/02/2011

Everyone in Savannah knows Bobby is gay. He will not come out because of the potential damage to the family franchise.

by Anonymousreply 2201/02/2011

What kind of damage would that do? It's not like he's Jake Gyllenhall. Tee hee.

by Anonymousreply 2301/02/2011

Wasn't it Paula Deen who had a recipe (years ago) for cheeseburgers that had Krispy Kreme donuts as the buns? After that stomach turning thought, I never looked at another PD recipe.

by Anonymousreply 2401/02/2011

R25...gay as paint? I'm confused, what the hell does that mean?

by Anonymousreply 2601/02/2011

That's bullshit. You mean there are no women with gay sons or brothers in the flyover states? Bobby's out to family and friends. He doesn't make announcements, he just lives his life like most of us do.

by Anonymousreply 2701/02/2011

R26%0D %0D Gosh%0D %0D One day Jackie O and Joan Kennedy were having lunch. %0D %0D Jackie O and Joan Kennedy were chit chatting and the talk came to Truman Capote. %0D %0D Joan Kennedy was known for being a bit of an innocent. She asked Jackie O if it was true that Truman Capote was a homesexual gentleman. Jackie O replied that he was as gay as paint. %0D %0D It went a little something like this...%0D %0D circa Camelot USA-- (Jacqueline and Joan Kennedy dish Truman Capote) JOAN:: "Is it true that he's queer?" JACKIE: Queer? JOAN: "You ...know, gay, gaaay." JACKIE: Joan, really! He's so gay. He's GAY as PAINT!!!%0D %0D ...it is from one of those trashy Kennedy books%0D %0D I find the expression kinda nifty. %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 2801/02/2011

Gay as paint. Something that is newly painted looks good, brightens your day. Like in gay as Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 2901/02/2011

I've tried her fried chicken recipe (with the hot sauce). It's divine. Also, her cheesy biscuits are pretty good, too.

I remember watching a live show she did, where she was taking questions, and someone commented on how unhealthy some of the foods were (in as nice a way as they could). She kind of chuckled a bit, and said, "Honey, I'm your cook, not your doctor!"

by Anonymousreply 3001/02/2011

[quote] Coca Cola glaze doesn't really work anymore. When it used to be made with sugar, it was great. Now that Coke is made with corn syrup, it's not good in recipes.

You can still buy Coca Cola made with sugar. Costco sells it by the case (Mexican Coke), and many other stores sell it as well.

by Anonymousreply 3101/02/2011

Has she found a way to make Monkey Bread more fattening.?

I made it this morning. Yummy.

by Anonymousreply 3201/02/2011

I tried one of recipes for a Christams party because it sounded easy. Chicken wrapped in bacon and rolled in brown sugar and chili powder.%0D %0D It was boring.

by Anonymousreply 3301/02/2011

R10 = Lumpy frau in denial.

by Anonymousreply 3401/02/2011

[quote]Has she found a way to make Monkey Bread more fattening?

Ummm, one serving already has 450 calories (with 200 from fat). Not sure it could be more fattening unless you infused it with additional butter and brown sugar. Oh, and maybe poured some more on top.

by Anonymousreply 3501/02/2011

R32: BACON Monkey Bread is way more fattening. And yummier.%0D %0D 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese%0D %0D 1 small onion, finely diced %0D %0D Diced cooked, crisp bacon (AT LEAST 12 slices)%0D %0D 1 stick butter, melted%0D %0D 3 cans "whomp" biscuits (in a can)%0D %0D Directions: %0D %0D Cut biscuits in quarters (more if using Grands biscuits).%0D %0D Let the pieces loll around in the melted butter.%0D %0D Roll in the mixture of bacon, onion and cheese.%0D %0D Place in brundt pan.%0D %0D Bake in 350%C2%B0 for 40 minutes.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3601/02/2011

I recently went to Savannah to visit a nephew in school and had to go to the famous "Lady and Sons" restaurant. We had to go early to sign up for lunch and 3 hours later had a most boring, bland buffet lunch. We all agreed that it wasn't something to do more than once, kind of like visiting Graceland. I did like the johnny cakes and tried the recipe at home. Just ok, not anything I would go out of my way for.

by Anonymousreply 3701/02/2011

OH MY GOD!%0D %0D %0D I heard about this but I didn't believe it was real. %0D %0D %0D HAM AND BANANA CASSEROLE!!!%0D %0D %0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 3801/03/2011

My mother always glazed ham with Coke and a bit of mustard. I've never had a better ham anywhere than my mother's.%0D %0D %0D At a family Xmas my cousin made a PD dessert called Oooey Gooey Cake. It had pumpkin in it. I hate pumpkin but this was so good.%0D %0D My cousin gave me the recipe and PD said you can alter the recipe so that it's made with chocolate and peanut butter instead of pumpkin.%0D For a peanut butter whore like me it was off the chain.

by Anonymousreply 3901/03/2011

R10 = delusional frau w/ crumbs on her tits while she types.

by Anonymousreply 4001/03/2011

I make a Coke ham every year for new Year's Eve. You have to boil the fucker in the soda for two and an half hours, poke in some cloves, and then glaze it with blackstrap molasses, dry mustard and raw cane sugar. Bake it at 500 degrees for ten minutes. It is delicious. Got the recipe from one of Nigella Lawson's cookbooks.

I made Paula's spoonbread and the banana pudding, bot of which were awesome. However, she once showed a recipe for toffee brownies which I have now tried making twice. Essentially, the "recipe" calls for two boxes of Duncan Hines Supreme brownie mix and 6 or so Skor Bars (which I love). You mix up the two boxes of brownies together, following the directions on the box. Then pour half of it in your pan and top that with the whole Skor bars. Then pour the rest of the brownie mix on and top with crushed walnuts and bake according to direction, adding a few extra minutes.

Once mine turned out just gushy and weird, and the second time, by the time the bottom layer was completely done, the top was burnt.

by Anonymousreply 4101/03/2011

Brownies are a pain in the ass to make and have them turn out okay.

I am seriously considering buying that brownie pan they show on tv. The one that separates the slices first? The one that has the removable sides AND bottom.

Does anybody know if it actually works?

by Anonymousreply 4201/03/2011

I'm not much of a cook but I was forced to contribute to a potluck. I made Paula's bread pudding and I was the star of the dinner! I've done it a couple more times to similar accolades. It's very simple and delicious. Probably 300 calories just to look at it.

by Anonymousreply 4301/03/2011

I've tried several of her dishes. Her Banana Pudding recipe is to die for and I've also prepared her cornbread stuffing.

I love her recipes (in moderation), but I'm use to southern cooking. If you're not, then it may be a bit too much for your tastes; and yes, she seems to LOVE butter. I usually use half of what she uses in her recipe.

by Anonymousreply 4401/03/2011

I don't know if it's because she's British or what, but whenever I see Nigella Lawson doing a cooking segment, she always strikes me as being "not so fresh"....[italic] down there. [/italic]

Al Roker kind of winced once when he stood next to her during a cooking demonstration.

by Anonymousreply 4501/03/2011

this sort of thing is basically marikan prison food isn't it?%0D %0D i mean really?

by Anonymousreply 4601/03/2011

As a Southerner I can say with confidence that Paula Deen is a devil. She is not a southern cook, but a travesty.

by Anonymousreply 4701/03/2011

Um, what R45? Does she look homeless with rotten teeth and greasy hair? How on earth does someone not LOOK fresh?

by Anonymousreply 4801/03/2011

R45, the anti Brit troll, is reaching.

by Anonymousreply 4901/03/2011

Spent some time down south over the holidays and went to a chain sub shop called "Jersey Mikes". OMG, there was nothing about this place that is anything like a New Jersey sub shop. The rolls were the consistency of hot dog rolls, the meats were inferior. The chicken ceasar salad was disgusting: boiled chicken breast doused in italian dressing and plopped on top of a bed of shredded iceburg lettuce. I thought I would puke on the spot.%0D %0D Can you even get a green vegetable down south? I didn't see any the whole time I was there.

by Anonymousreply 5001/03/2011

"My mother always glazed ham with Coke and a bit of mustard."%0D %0D On one very memorable Martha Stewart episode, Aretha (yes, really) poured a big bottle of 7-Up over a ham, and Martha nearly had a coronary.

by Anonymousreply 5101/03/2011

[quote]Can you even get a green vegetable down south?

Okra.

by Anonymousreply 5201/03/2011

[quote]I'm use to southern cooking%0D %0D OH MY!

by Anonymousreply 5301/03/2011

[quote]Spent some time down south over the holidays and went to a chain sub shop called "Jersey Mikes". OMG, there was nothing about this place that is anything like a New Jersey sub shop. The rolls were the consistency of hot dog rolls, the meats were inferior. The chicken ceasar salad was disgusting: boiled chicken breast doused in italian dressing and plopped on top of a bed of shredded iceburg lettuce. I thought I would puke on the spot.

The Jersey Mike's in the RTP area of NC are horrible. They are definitely not representative of the good sub shops in our area. I won't claim ours are as good as the sub shops you find up north, but they're not all as bad as what you experienced.

[quote]Can you even get a green vegetable down south? I didn't see any the whole time I was there.

Oh, puh-leeeze.

by Anonymousreply 5401/03/2011

Paula's nephew has been on a couple of her recent shows, and I'm pretty sure he's gay. He looks a lot like Bobby, but better-looking, older, and single. %0D %0D Paula definitely favors Jamie. I've noticed a distance between her and Bobby lately. I wonder if it has to do with him being gay?

by Anonymousreply 5501/03/2011

[quote]On one very memorable Martha Stewart episode, Aretha (yes, really) poured a big bottle of 7-Up over a ham

Do not, however, use Mountain Dew. Unless you want to serve day-glo green meat to your guests.

by Anonymousreply 5601/03/2011

Aretha clip.

by Anonymousreply 5701/03/2011

Martha to Aretha: "Cooking with you is like a dream come true."

LOL

by Anonymousreply 5801/03/2011

umm r48, she has an air of filth about her... a stank...a dirtiness.

by Anonymousreply 5901/03/2011

I tried watching her and found I could not abide all those "Yalls"

by Anonymousreply 6001/03/2011

What's interesting is viewing some of her older Food Network episodes. It's very funny. It's almost as if (and I'm sure it was) her producers were trying to turn her into a proper, southern lady. No "y'alls". A very toned down accent. She spoke slowly and hardly ever smiled. Very serious.

Just hysterical.

by Anonymousreply 6101/03/2011

R50, you didn't look for any green vegetables. They're everywhere. When they're in season you can't go 50 feet without someone trying to foist squash, green beans, tomatoes or okra on you.

You went to a shitty chain sandwich shop and you're crying about the lack of genuine Jerseyness? You're a dipshit and a thread derailer. I hope a disc in your back explodes the next time you shovel off your sidewalk.

by Anonymousreply 6201/03/2011

r62..you harsh bitch

by Anonymousreply 6301/03/2011

All "Jerseyness" needs to stay in Jersey!%0D %0D Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 6401/03/2011

I was there for several days, genius @ R62. Jersey Mikes was just ONE of the many unfortunate food experiences there.

by Anonymousreply 6501/03/2011

Martha: You're the queen of soul.

Aretha: That's me!

Martha: (Tells a long story about some obscure ham smoking establishment on 1st in NYC)

Aretha: A Franklin Family tradition!

Martha: Jean is calling from Georgia.

Aretha: Georgia, you are my mentor!

by Anonymousreply 6601/03/2011

Ditto R47.%0D %0D [quote]Brownies are a pain in the ass to make and have them turn out okay.%0D %0D Buy a the Ghiradelli brownie mix. Problem solved.%0D %0D

by Anonymousreply 6701/03/2011

Nigella looks a little musky to me also.

by Anonymousreply 6801/03/2011

Nigella is one of those "dirty girls" that so many straight guys find attractive. As someone once said, she looks like she might be wearing yesterday's knickers.

by Anonymousreply 6901/03/2011

I believe the complimentary term for Nigella would be "earthy."

Paula has that side to her, too, back on topic.

by Anonymousreply 7001/03/2011

Is it true that Paula deep fries her cholesterol meds before taking them?

by Anonymousreply 7101/03/2011

In a beer batter, R71.

by Anonymousreply 7201/03/2011

To the person who asked if you can find any green veggies down South...%0D %0D You can find all sorts of green,yellow,red veggies. The problem is we like to cook them til all the nutritional value is gone.

by Anonymousreply 7301/03/2011

Not this Southerner R73. I've always preferred mine raw or barely steamed. I enjoy crunch.

by Anonymousreply 7401/03/2011

As a PC locavore food snob from San Francisco, even I can dig in to some of Paula's dishes when I'm in the mood. Just expect lots of fat and/or sugar.

by Anonymousreply 7501/03/2011

I have found all of Ina Garten's recipes to be exceptional and foolproof. Paula's recipes are hit-and-miss.

by Anonymousreply 7601/03/2011

One of Paula's shows showed her using canned cream of mushroom soup. She lost my support right then.

by Anonymousreply 7701/03/2011

The Paula Deen blt -%0D %0D Bacon, lettuce, tomato, bread and a half a stick of butter to fry it in.

by Anonymousreply 7801/03/2011

I make her Jello pretzel strawberry salad every Thanksgiving. It sounds disgusting, but the saltiness of the pretzel crust is amazing with the cream cheese layer, then the strawberry pineapple jello layer goes on top....mmmmm. She also has a good recipe for collard greens.

by Anonymousreply 7901/03/2011

[quote]As a Southerner I can say with confidence that Paula Deen is a devil. She is not a southern cook, but a travesty.

I much prefer Natalie Dupree, a Southern cook who is much better than Paula Deen.

R79, someone brought that jello pretzel thing to a Thanksgiving dinner I attended. I thought it was horrible.

by Anonymousreply 8001/03/2011

Ditto R76.%0D %0D Ina's come out perfect the first time you try them. And she uses real food all the time, no boxed cake mix and crap like that.%0D %0D As for cola to glaze meat%E2%80%A6the first time I ever heard about it was reading Weight Watchers recipes and it was die cola they used. I tried it with pork chops. It was good but then I gave up using those poison artificial sweeteners.%0D %0D I'll buy Passover Coke with real sugar in the spring and maybe try it with ham.%0D

by Anonymousreply 8101/04/2011

That's interesting, r61 since I have read, here on these threads, that she is really just a low-key person that does not have that much of a Southern accent and that she sort of turns up the "volume" and adds a lot more "Y'all's" to make it seem even more Southern and over-the-top while on the shows.

She ha's just gone with a persona that people think is cute and endearing.

I don't care for it though, which is why I stopped watching some time ago.

by Anonymousreply 8201/04/2011

A friend of mine dates a guy from Paula's hometown of Albany, Georgia. His parents knew Paula when she still lived there and confirm that her cornpone-and-molasses accent is slopped on for the camera.

Personally, I can't stand her dirty-old-lady schtick -- e.g., telling a hunky male guest to "beat his meat" and feeling up The Situation.

by Anonymousreply 8302/14/2011

[quote]I'll buy Passover Coke with real sugar in the spring and maybe try it with ham.%0D %0D %0D %0D Southern Jew?

by Anonymousreply 8402/14/2011

Paula's nasty ass strikes again:

by Anonymousreply 8502/28/2011

Speaking of recipes, what the hell do you do with dry curd cottage cheese? I grabbed a container of it by mistake.

by Anonymousreply 8607/12/2013

Salt and Vinigger Potato Chips

Massa-roni

KKKuesadilla

by Anonymousreply 8707/12/2013

I recommend serving her with fava beans and a nice Chianti.

by Anonymousreply 8807/12/2013

[quote]Everyone in Savannah knows Bobby is gay. He will not come out because of the potential damage to the family franchise.

Well, now that the "potential damage" ship has sailed, will Bobby be coming out soon?

by Anonymousreply 8907/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.