Join the Bitchfest >>

Low Cholesterol

Is there anyone else out there whose cholesterol is too low? My total is low 70s. It keeps dropping a couple of points every year. HDL comes in around 25. Doctors and dieticians don't seem to help. I am having chest pains...I feel I may have a heart attack soon. Am I worried over nothing.? I am vegetarian, btw.

--Anonymous
replies 13Dec 7, 2017 2:09 PM +00:00

Hmmm, maybe eat a steak and some French fries?

--Anonymous
replies 1Dec 7, 2017 2:41 PM +00:00

You should be worried. HDL is much too low.

--Anonymous
replies 2Dec 7, 2017 2:46 PM +00:00

HDL should be above 40. What are your triglycerides at?

--Anonymous
replies 3Dec 7, 2017 2:51 PM +00:00

I don't recall the number on triglycerides--but they were normal.

--Anonymous
replies 4Dec 7, 2017 3:20 PM +00:00

Total cholesterol, LDL-C, and triglycerides are positively associated with heart attack risk and HDL-C possibly playing a protective role. Your TC and LDL-C are low, as is your HDL-C, but nowhere in this topic are triglycerides mentioned. OP says the doctors and dietitians are no help.

I'll list the average lipid values in the US, then I'll list the average lipid values of people hospitalized with coronary disease then average lipid values of people hospitalized for other ailments. OP, tell us which set of values most closely matches the values of your latest test.

US: TC 196 LDL 116 Trigs: 110 HDL 53

Hospitalized for coronary disease: TC 176 LDL 104 Trigs 161 HDL 39

Hospitalized in other cases: TC 183 LDL 113 Trigs 165 HDL 36

--Anonymous
replies 5Dec 7, 2017 3:23 PM +00:00

I am not sure about those figures, r5. They told me my last test for cholesterol was inconclusive, because my LDL level was too low for detection. HDL was 25. That was at the CVS Minute Clinic. I went to them for a second opinion, because during my annual w/ GP it seemed too low, even for me. CVS was just a confirmation. I do not remember the Trigs because the dr said they were normal.

--Anonymous
replies 6Dec 7, 2017 3:32 PM +00:00

You have chest pains. Don't you owe it to yourself to have a full lipid panel sheet of values to find what ratios and values are abnormal? Chest pains are abnormal.

--Anonymous
replies 7Dec 7, 2017 3:36 PM +00:00

I told my Doctor, he sent me to a cardiologist, he gave me a stress test and told me I was in good shape.

--Anonymous
replies 8Dec 7, 2017 3:39 PM +00:00

I'm not a doctor nor a dietitian nor a cardiologist. I can't help you from "this person said this" and "this person said that." I'm sorry, because I would like to help you, as I believe, from looking at medical research, your HDL value as determined by the CVS Minute Clinic, is very low, and you are complaining of chest pains. Chest pains are also a symptom of anxiety.

--Anonymous
replies 9Dec 7, 2017 3:42 PM +00:00

Thanks for your comments r9. I do appreciate them. I will try to figure this out.

--Anonymous
replies 10Dec 7, 2017 3:46 PM +00:00

Okay, given what little you've shared, and that you're on a vegetarian diet, here are some conscious, easy suggestions:

1. Swap some seed oils for avocado oil, almond oil, coconut oil, olive oil, extra virgin olive oil.

2. Eat almonds regularly for a snack.

3. Go through your pantry and toss out any processed, refined snacks where sugar or its many other names (corn syrup, fructose, glucose, etc.) appears as one of the first five listed in Ingredients on the label.

4. I'm assuming you don't have fruit juices, dried fruits, sweetened energy beverages or pop. If you do, cut back by at least half.

5. Go search on the web for "foods to raise HDL cholesterol." If much of your diet already consists of these foods, find a doctor who knows his business and who will give you a full lipid value panel and is open to discussing irregularities and next steps.

--Anonymous
replies 11Dec 7, 2017 5:17 PM +00:00

Get checked for HIV.

--Anonymous
replies 12Dec 7, 2017 6:00 PM +00:00

Low cholesterol is linked to a greater likelihood of a heart attack. Stress tests won't reveal it, but are still useful for determining how close you are to suffering from the more common risk factors. My doctor warned me 11 years ago about this, so if your doctor hasn't been keeping up with the latest info, get a second opinion.

--Anonymous
replies 13Dec 7, 2017 6:05 PM +00:00