Join the Bitchfest >>

Hollywood Screen Tests

Here's a wonderful reel of Gone With The Wind screen tests.

While some of the actresses auditioning to play Scarlett O'Hara were clearly all wrong for the part, others, like Paulette Goddard, were quite good.

Included are (silent) tests of Leslie Howard and Clark Gable, who melts the screen.

Please add any of your favorite screen tests, or related commentary.

Auditions and screen tests for Gone With The Wind Appearing : Tallulah Bankhead, Susan Hayward, Margaret Tallichet, Frances Dee, Mary Ray, Lana Turner, Paule...
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 107Dec 7, 2017 6:40 AM +00:00

Not only did Coppola have to fight for Al Pacino to play Michael Corleone, but the part was very nearly played by James Caan, Robert Redford, even Martin Sheen. Caan's screen test is pretty bad.

Diane Keaton's audition is also here, towards the end.

How would be the Godfather without Pacino?..
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 1Dec 7, 2017 7:00 AM +00:00

Paulette Goddard is an underrated actress who lost out on the part because she refused to confirm she and Chaplin were married. (they were)

oddly enough, Vivian Leigh was having an affair with Olivier, both were married to others and had small children, but that didn't stop her from playing Scarlett.

--Anonymous
replies 2Dec 7, 2017 7:06 AM +00:00

Help me out, R2. Why would it matter that Goddard was married to Chaplin? Was he in trouble at the time?

--Anonymous
replies 3Dec 7, 2017 7:11 AM +00:00

James Dean and Paul Newman audition for East of Eden. Their attraction to each other here is palpable.

At 1:01

Dean: Kiss me.

Newman: Can't right here.

A bit of an awkward one here as James Dean and Paul Newman compete for the role of Cal Trask in the 1955 adaptation of John Steinbeck's epic novel. Although ...
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 4Dec 7, 2017 7:58 AM +00:00

R3, being unmarried and living together could ruin a screen career in 1938.

--Anonymous
replies 5Dec 7, 2017 8:03 AM +00:00

Why is Paulette Goddard auditioning with Nicholas Cage?

--Anonymous
replies 6Dec 7, 2017 8:08 AM +00:00

R4, omg! They had to have ripped each others clothes off minutes later. I'm gonna watch it again.

--Oof.
replies 7Dec 7, 2017 9:50 AM +00:00

I found one of actresses testing for Lois Lane.

There's Anne Archer, Lesley Ann Warren, Debra Raffin, Margot Kidder, a very butch Stockard Channing, and Susan Blakely.

Lesley Ann comes in at 1:56 and I must say I truly missngi seeing her on the screen. She may be a little over the top here, but God I love her.

(Christopher Reeve has the presence of paste.)

Anne Archer, Lesley Ann Warren, Debra Raffin, Margot Kidder, Stockard Channing, Susan Blakely
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 8Dec 7, 2017 1:35 PM +00:00

James Dean, the anti-paste.

This screen test is super-charged with homo eroticism. Who's the other actor? Holy shit.

Since this is just a screen test, it was taken a bit out of context. In the scene that ended up being recorded for the actual movie, it is much more intense ...
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 9Dec 7, 2017 1:45 PM +00:00

Fucking brilliant, OP.

--I miss Lesley-Ann too.
replies 10Dec 7, 2017 1:48 PM +00:00

R9 At any moment it seemed they could kiss and make out.

--Anonymous
replies 11Dec 7, 2017 1:55 PM +00:00

Goddard and Chaplin claimed to be married but they couldn't produce a marriage certificate. They claimed to have been married at sea on an ocean liner by the Captain but couldn't prove it.

The tests of Gable and Howard aren't screen tests. Neither had to audition. The tests are for their costumes and makeup, to see how they would photograph.

--Anonymous
replies 12Dec 7, 2017 2:02 PM +00:00

Chaplin and Goddard were never married. A grandniece of Goddard told me such.

--Anonymous
replies 13Dec 7, 2017 2:07 PM +00:00

Hmm. I don't believe I've ever seen a Goddard film. What does the DL recommend? She is captivating.

--Anonymous
replies 14Dec 7, 2017 2:11 PM +00:00

The first preview of GWTW ran nearly five hours. Many or most of the cut scenes and trims allegedly exist in the hands of a private collector but they've never been seen publicly if they do.

--Anonymous
replies 15Dec 7, 2017 2:17 PM +00:00

R14 You've never seen Modern Times? The Great Dictator? THE WOMEN???!!!

--Anonymous
replies 16Dec 7, 2017 2:24 PM +00:00

You're right, R16, I have! Back in the 80's... Fucking Geritol is a goddamn snake oil scam.

--Fiddle dee dee
replies 17Dec 7, 2017 2:28 PM +00:00

The ones that have always fascinated me the most are the screen tests for the lead tole in "Rebecca." Selznick had another GIANT talent search for the part, and many of the best actresses in Hollywood tried for it.

Laurence Olivier (who was cast beforehand) desperately wanted Vivien Leigh for the part, but she was completely wrong for the part--she was much too kittenish and self-possessed.

Joan Fontaine cast as the unnamed second wife of Max DeWinter played by Laurence Olivier. Before she won the role, Selnick auditioned several actresses. Vivi...
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 18Dec 7, 2017 2:29 PM +00:00

Tallulah Bankhead tried out of the part of Scarlett? That's pretty funny. At the beginning of the novel Scarlett is 16. Bankhead looked at least 40.

Leslie Howard was handsome but miscast as Ashley. Ashley was 19 or 20 at the time of the barbecue; Leslie Howard was in his 40s. Actually, all the young men at the barbecue were supposed to be in the 19-20 age range, and they all looked much older than that.

Clark Gable was perfect as Rhett. Perfect! As was Vivien Leigh as Scarlett and Hattie McDaniel as Mammy and Olivia De Havilland as Melanie.

--Anonymous
replies 19Dec 7, 2017 2:34 PM +00:00

I wish i could find the other "Rebecca" screen tests on youtube, but I could only find Leigh's and Fontaine's. Fontaine is aboslutely perfect for the part from the get-go. She was so great and conveying insecurity and nervousness (but with great charm all the same).

There are many other screen tests on the Criterion disc set. Surprisingly some excellent actresses lie Margaret Sullavan are completely wrong for the part--Sullavan comes across as deeply neurotic, which is not right for the role.

Surprisngly the most affecting reading comes from Loretta Young, who is deeply poignant--but she was far too beautiful to be believable as the self-deprecating second Mrs. de Winter.

Anne Baxter read for the part at age 16 (!), and she was actually Hithcock's first choice... but Selznick wanted Fontaine, and got his way. Baxter's reading for her screen test is actually excellent (she had not yet picked up the mannerisms that render her so bizarrely artificial in "the Razor's Edge" and "All About Eve"), but having a 16 year-old American girl in the part would have changed the movie very drastically from what we know of it today.

Though several tested, Joan was the obvious choice for the part of the un-named character, "I". It was as if it had been written for her, she was that good.
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 20Dec 7, 2017 2:36 PM +00:00

And Butterfly McQueen, R19, don't forget that.

--And the woman who played Belle Watley!
replies 21Dec 7, 2017 2:36 PM +00:00

R20 is very shy.

--Anonymous
replies 22Dec 7, 2017 2:37 PM +00:00

Still lovely at 71.

--Anonymous
replies 23Dec 7, 2017 2:59 PM +00:00

Bankhead's test was the first, in 1936. It was, short, silent and in black and white, just a photography test. Bankhead would have been great. She born into Southern aristocracy and was even more more wild and independent than Scarlett.

At any rate, Selznick didn't like the way she photographed but instructed his assistant to offer her the part of Belle Watling. Neither she nor anyone else on the staff had the balls to contact Bankhead and tell her that Selznick thought she was a good fit to play the town madame and the offer was never passed on.

--Anonymous
replies 24Dec 7, 2017 3:11 PM +00:00

Bankhead was almost 40 when GWTW was filming.

--Anonymous
replies 25Dec 7, 2017 3:41 PM +00:00

Gwyneth Paltrow and Helen Hunt audition for "Jurassic Park" (1992)

Two clips of Gwyneth Paltrow and Helen Hunt's 1992 audition for the role of "Ellie Sattler" in JURASSIC PARK. The role was eventually played by Laura Dern in...
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 26Dec 7, 2017 3:50 PM +00:00

Tallulah Bankhead as a fresh young 16 year old Southern belle? That would have made Gone With The Wind a science fiction movie.

--Anonymous
replies 27Dec 7, 2017 5:16 PM +00:00

Ugh. Paltrow and her diffident, bubble headed upspeak. Scientist my ass. She's about as convincing as a woman of science as Tanya Roberts was in "A View to A Kill".

Helen would have worked just fine.

--Anonymous
replies 28Dec 7, 2017 5:33 PM +00:00

R19 - actually Ashley was about 25-26 at the time of the barbecue. He had graduated college, spent 3 years on his "Grand Tour" and spent 2 years squiring Scarlett around the county. So Scarlett was 16 and Ashley 25 or so when the ook and movie begins. The Tarleton twins were supposed to be 19 and the other boys around 20 - but you are right, they look around 30.

--Anonymous
replies 29Dec 7, 2017 5:57 PM +00:00

I've always thought Clark Gable was less than perfect as Rhett because he doesn't sound anything like someone out of Charleston, SC.

--Anonymous
replies 30Dec 7, 2017 7:42 PM +00:00
Bankhead would have been great. She born into Southern aristocracy and was even more more wild and independent than Scarlett.

George Cukor once said about Tallulah Bankhead, "She had beautiful bones, but her eyes were not eyes for movies. They looked somehow hooded and dead.... Her smile did not illuminate."

--Anonymous
replies 31Dec 7, 2017 7:48 PM +00:00

'Tippi' Hedren's screen test depicted in the HBO film "The Girl". Watching Sienna Miller attempt to re-create Miss Hedren's beauty, elan and effortless elegance was excruciatingly painful to watch. It literally looked like a 6yo prancing around in mommy's high heels.

Hedren was actually ONE of three actresses Hitchcock tested(the others being Claire Griswold and Joanna Moore) and were reportedly the most expensive tests in Hollywood history.

It's easy to see why she was selected. Wonderful, mid-Atlantic inflections, refined posture and body line and bitch knew how to wear and manipulate her Edith Head created costumes. I especially love how at 00:35 she gracefully removes the wrap, catches it behind her back and subtly "presents" the gown all while deftly emasculating Martin Balsam.

She breezily fends off the creepy boorishness of Hitch and Balsam and is stylized to the point of pantomime....which was precisely the aesthetic Hitchcock was going for.

Class, glamour, queenly bearing, grace, style... In 1963, Miss Hedren has it all. NO COPYRIGHTS INFRINGEMENT INTENDED
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 32Dec 7, 2017 7:54 PM +00:00

Great thread, OP.

r26 wasn't Spielberg Gwenyth's godfather? Glad he and the casting director didn't let that connection compromise their casting decision.

As much as I like Laura Dern, I think Helen Hunt would have been a great choice. Within ten seconds, I totally believed her, unlike Gwenyth's disastrous audition.

--Anonymous
replies 33Dec 7, 2017 7:55 PM +00:00

Sharon Stone, Basic Instinct.

Say what you will about Stone, but she is completely magnetic in this screen test. And just watching her, there's no doubt she knew she had that part in the bag.

This is the screen test of leading actress Sharon Stone, rehersing some scenes with director Paul Verhoeven. Wasn't she something in the good old 90's? Tell ...
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 34Dec 7, 2017 7:58 PM +00:00

Jeanne Tripplehorn's "Basic Instinct" test was pretty much "in the bag, too".

I actually found her character more compelling than Stone's.

This is the screen test of supporting actress Jeanne Tripplehorn rehersing the "There's something wrong with my lock" scene. Apart from the irrel, irrelev, i...
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 35Dec 7, 2017 8:12 PM +00:00

Leslie Ann Warren was a cutie but too neurotic, pop eyed and high strung for Lois Lane. She always gives off a dirty sex vibe. I wasn't even born in 1977 but it's easy to see why Kidder won that role. She's layered and charming, flinty and sweet. Not pretty, but ironic. She would never be cast today.

--Anonymous
replies 36Dec 7, 2017 8:24 PM +00:00

R9, that's Dick Davalos, Dean's co-star in "East of Eden."

--Anonymous
replies 37Dec 7, 2017 8:55 PM +00:00

R37, thanks alot for that. What an electric pairing they are.

--R9
replies 38Dec 7, 2017 8:59 PM +00:00

That delicious eye roll when he mentions Tallulah Bankhead.....the sexiest man alive. Marlon Brando in his Rebel Without a Cause screen test and "interview."

There are no words.
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 39Dec 7, 2017 9:06 PM +00:00
Leslie Ann Warren was a cutie but too neurotic, pop eyed and high strung for Lois Lane

As long as we're discussing "Superman" related screen tests here are some of the other actresses who auditioned for the role of "Ursa".

Sarah Douglas was ideal but if you ever wanted to see Alexis Carrington with super powers then I think Dana Gillespie could have been great as well. And she could do stunts.

Rohan McCullogh, Carinthia West, Dana Gillespie, Marilu Tulo
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 40Dec 8, 2017 12:40 AM +00:00

Here's Audrey Hepburn's famous screen test for Roman Holiday. They told her the camera was turned off when she started talking about surviving WWII as a teen. Apparently this part of the screen test won William Wyler over and he gave her the role of Princess Anna:

Audrey Hepburn tests for Roman Holiday, interviewed by Thorold Dickinson
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 41Dec 8, 2017 12:54 AM +00:00

Chris Klein's screen test for Mamma Mia has to be seen (or should I say heard) to be believed.

Mamma Mia Audition From American Pie Man. Nice One Faildude....Lmao. Sorry you're owned
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 42Dec 8, 2017 12:59 AM +00:00

Hard to believe a man so handsome, so jaunty and so cool was just a B-list television actor. He even makes talking with a cigarette in your mouth look sexy.

He's every inch the star everyone thinks George Clooney is.

"Lost in Space" & Zorro actor
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 43Dec 8, 2017 1:14 AM +00:00

r43 he screamed desperate and his acting is terrible. what's hard to believe?

--Anonymous
replies 44Dec 8, 2017 1:51 AM +00:00

a very butch Stockard Channing,

Is there any other kind?

--Fan
replies 45Dec 8, 2017 8:09 AM +00:00

Can I stop this thread for a moment to implore everyone to watch R42 's submission?

I almost didn't click, thinking who is this guy?

Well.

R42, I am giving you kudos. I created this thread hoping for revelation, and you delivered.

Thank you.

--OP
replies 46Dec 8, 2017 8:24 AM +00:00

R42 is better than Pierce Brosnan.

--Anonymous
replies 47Dec 8, 2017 9:00 AM +00:00

R42 Currently wins this thread. By a wide margin.

But oh how sweet it would be to find competitors for the throne!

--I need background entertainment for my Xmas Party
replies 48Dec 8, 2017 11:28 AM +00:00

Here you go, R48

Hilarious clips of how not to audition for a kung fu movie.
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 49Dec 8, 2017 12:28 PM +00:00

What ever happened to her, anyway? She is not very good here.

"Cindy Williams" "Star Wars" Audition. Here she's auditioning for the role of "Princess Leia".
YouTube
--Penny Marshall
replies 50Dec 8, 2017 12:49 PM +00:00

Blonde god William Katt and Kurt Russell test for Star Wars

This is William Katt's Star Wars audition. You might remember him from The Greatest American Hero. There's a Luke and a Han audition. In both he's acting wit...
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 51Dec 8, 2017 12:54 PM +00:00

R20 wouldn't Hedy Lamarr have made a great Mrs. DeWinter. I realize we never see her but still, she was exactly the type.

--Anonymous
replies 52Dec 8, 2017 1:06 PM +00:00

Where the hell is Liza's test for Russell's EVITA?!

--Meryl Pfeiffer
replies 53Dec 8, 2017 1:25 PM +00:00

R50 NO ONE was particularly good. They didn't know what the fuck was going on! Nowadays its less forgivable because this genre has been around long enough that this goobledygook should be more familiar by acclimatization.

--Anonymous
replies 54Dec 8, 2017 1:26 PM +00:00

R54 what are you talking about, have you been drinking? Am I gonna have to go all Rhoda Young on your ass? Put down the PBR before you burn your damn house down.

Hilarious lady reporting live, solving crimes
the DataLounge
--Anonymous
replies 55Dec 8, 2017 2:10 PM +00:00

PBR?! I'm more likely to have a PBJ!

I was referring to the technobabble and heightened language that is rife in Sci-Fi. American actors in particular don't comprehend it or internalize it, esp in '76. Now, its more common.

--Anonymous
replies 56Dec 8, 2017 2:20 PM +00:00

I agreed to narrate this piece as the work originated on the legitimate stage.

This isn't great quality, but it's rare, so worth a look! This is an 8-minute television spot ("The Look of Funny Girl") about the costumes Barbra Streisand ...
YouTube
--Arlene
replies 57Dec 8, 2017 2:35 PM +00:00
[R43] he screamed desperate and his acting is terrible. what's hard to believe?

I would say that assessment would apply more to R42.

--Anonymous
replies 58Dec 8, 2017 2:41 PM +00:00

Miss Fire Prevention

Classic Oprah clip before she was a star! Check out more content from Nash Entertainment: https://www.youtube.com/user/Crazy8Videos
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 59Dec 8, 2017 2:48 PM +00:00

Funny Girl would have been so much better with someone other than Streisand.

--Anonymous
replies 60Dec 8, 2017 3:08 PM +00:00
Funny Girl would have been so much better with someone other than Streisand.

Funny Girl wouldn't have been POSSIBLE without Streisand.

--Anonymous
replies 61Dec 8, 2017 3:27 PM +00:00

Love these! More please.

--Anonymous
replies 62Dec 8, 2017 3:31 PM +00:00

Gillian tests for Pathe in 1944.

How not to do a screen test. A young actress has a screen test in the Pathe studios in 1944. Quite amusing! Follow us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/bri...
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 63Dec 8, 2017 3:35 PM +00:00

And when our good housekeeper, poor Mrs. Cooper, finds out what you've been doing on these "supposed" fishing trips of ours......

I'm afraid the blow will kill her.

Includes a short interview with Adam West. Compares the screen tests of Lyle Waggoner and Peter Deyell with Adam West and Burt Ward.
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 64Dec 8, 2017 3:38 PM +00:00

Maybe she's doing a screen test for a film on how not to do a screen test r63.

--She's got the role!
replies 65Dec 8, 2017 3:39 PM +00:00

Any Tab Hunter or Tony Perkins screen tests out there?

--Anonymous
replies 66Dec 8, 2017 4:57 PM +00:00

Awesome link, OP.

I can't believe Joan Bennet was ever in the running. I am assuming Paulette knew how close she came to getting the role. She must have been heart broken.

--Anonymous
replies 67Dec 8, 2017 5:42 PM +00:00

Thanks, R67, glad you enjoyed it. Had I been Paulette Goddard I never would have gotten over the loss. Much like owning then losing a jackpot lotto ticket.

R66, I googled both Tab Hunter and Tony Perkins, came up with nothing. Maybe someone out there can help us out (a private collection,maybe?) Great suggestions.

--OP
replies 68Dec 8, 2017 6:03 PM +00:00
Had I been Paulette Goddard I never would have gotten over the loss. Much like owning then losing a jackpot lotto ticket.

She got over it, all right - she was extremely rich by the time she died in her lakeside Swiss villa and left more than 20 million $ to NYU alone in her will.

--Anonymous
replies 69Dec 8, 2017 6:15 PM +00:00

Always fascinating Sandy Dennis' screen test for Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf. With Roddy McDowall.

Sandy Dennis is Honey. Roddy McDowell is Nick.
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 70Dec 8, 2017 6:16 PM +00:00

I found this. I don't know what this is. But I'm leaving it here.

Caleb Landry Jones - Screen Test (2013)
YouTube
--What the-
replies 71Dec 8, 2017 6:24 PM +00:00

Sandy Dennis can do no wrong. Good one, R70.

She's another one I'd have loved to have over for dinner. Strange, peculiar lady with a fascinating brain.

--Anonymous
replies 72Dec 8, 2017 6:29 PM +00:00

Ann-Margret the enchantress.

Could anyone else have been a contender after this? Is there anyone who didn't fall immediately in love with her?

Ann-Margret here in January 1961 performing Rodgers & Hammerstein's "It Might As Well Be Spring" for her first screen test in the musical remake of "State Fa...
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 73Dec 8, 2017 7:55 PM +00:00

Bill Bailey, you're a fool for ever leaving in the first place.

Ann-Margret here in January 1961 performing "Bill Bailey" for the second part of her screen test. This footage here showcases more of her singing and dancing...
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 74Dec 8, 2017 7:58 PM +00:00

Oh what the hell, let's make it a trifecta.

Ann-Margret here in January 1961 performing the second part of her screen test which was the personality test where they transformed her look with a rust col...
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 75Dec 8, 2017 8:00 PM +00:00

Wardrobe tests with Judy.

She seems to become a little wobbly. Maybe it's just me.

--Anonymous
replies 76Dec 8, 2017 8:08 PM +00:00

While not a screen test, this is rehearsal footage mixed in with Judy's actual performance.

It's extremely disturbing, and very sad.

Here is a wonderful and historic composite of a TV appearance by Judy Garland mixed with the rehearsal footage of the same appearance.
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 77Dec 8, 2017 8:21 PM +00:00

Paulette as Scarlett is so fascinating to ponder. She would have been great but entirely different from Vivien Leigh.

Paulette is foxier, sexier, earthier but could never convince Rhett or the audience that she was a virginal well-brought up 16 year old. American vs British demeanor, and while you'd think the former would be preferable and more logical, I completely get why Selznick and Cukor went with the latter.

--Anonymous
replies 78Dec 9, 2017 4:40 AM +00:00

Great thread for this snowy day. I may just binge on Ann-Margret movies til spring.

--Anonymous
replies 79Dec 9, 2017 8:03 AM +00:00

Here's a lengthier companion piece to the Audrey Hepburnscreen test up-thread.

This one has fantastic commentary from wardrobe designer Edith Head!

Roman Holiday tests
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 80Dec 9, 2017 8:10 AM +00:00

Edith Head gave good wardrobe

--Anonymous
replies 81Dec 9, 2017 8:22 AM +00:00

I can see why they snatched Ann-Margret up.

--Anonymous
replies 82Dec 9, 2017 8:44 AM +00:00

I don't think Edith was terribly loved or appreciated by Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly.

As soon as Roman Holiday made her a star, Audrey used that power to insist that her friend Hubert de Givenchy design her wardrobe for her next film Sabrina. Head still got the credit as Paramount's resident Costume Designer.

And Grace Kelly asked MGM's Helen Rose to design her wedding gown for her royal Monaco wedding in spite of Head's best efforts in several of Kelly's Hitchcock films.

--Anonymous
replies 83Dec 9, 2017 8:47 AM +00:00

That Chris Klein clip is hilarious

--Anonymous
replies 84Dec 9, 2017 8:50 AM +00:00

Audrey Hepburn was exquisite.

--Anonymous
replies 85Dec 9, 2017 8:54 AM +00:00

I can’t watch at r42. I can’t stand 2nd hand embarrassment. Anyone want to sum it up?

--Anonymous
replies 86Dec 9, 2017 10:13 AM +00:00

He acts like a chummy douchebro and then sings off-key, sometimes way off. You should watch it.

--Anonymous
replies 87Dec 9, 2017 10:39 AM +00:00

R77 what was so sad and disturbing about that? Thrill us with your acumen. Judy was rehearsing that’s why they call it a rehearsal. When it was showtime she was polished, poised and at the top of her game. That’s what you call a professional. And I think it’s magnificent.

--Anonymous
replies 88Dec 9, 2017 12:02 PM +00:00

I'm a bit surprised at the relative lack of comments on R4's Dean-Newman screen test.

That had to have been buried for years, the sparks between them were so undeniable that I can't see a studio letting it see the light of day. Had it been in color I'd bet Newman's face and neck were bright red. I've watched it several times now. If you haven't watched yet I recommend you do.

Same goes for R9's post.

--And that's why I love the DL
replies 89Dec 9, 2017 1:56 PM +00:00

Rebel without a Cause tests

"LOVE STORY" TO JIM and JUDY? JIM and PLATO (Rebel Without a Cause) James Dean, Natalie Wood, Sal Mineo, Corey Allen, Dennis Hopper, Nick Adams...
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 90Dec 9, 2017 2:48 PM +00:00

Head was NOTORIOUS for stealing design credits.

Only Givenchy dared to sue, however, and he won.

--Mitchell Leisen. I designed Ginger's famous Lady in the Dark mink dress.
replies 91Dec 9, 2017 3:54 PM +00:00

R91, "The minx in mink, with a yen for men?"

Well done, indeed.

--Anonymous
replies 92Dec 9, 2017 4:15 PM +00:00

Sal Mineo.....yum...

--Anonymous
replies 93Dec 9, 2017 4:47 PM +00:00

Head made the first version of the mink dress with heavy lead beads. It was so heavy that Rogers could barely walk, much less dance. in it . Director Mitchell Liesen had to instruct Head to have her costume department rebuild it with sequins instead of heavy lead beads as the brilliants. Leisen, who had started his career as a costume designer for Cecil DeMille, had given Head a sketch of what he wanted and even a written description. She later claimed the dress as her own design and she and Leisen were enemies thereafter. All she really did basically was supervise the Paramount costume department in cutting the patterns and the dress's construction. Leisen was the real designer and it became a very minor Hollywood scandal.

It was only years later, when Givenchy finally sued her successfully for claiming credit for his designs for Audrey Hepburn, that people finally became aware of what she really was.

Don't get me started about her ruthless, vicious backstabbing of her former mentor Travis Banton in order to replace him as head of Paramount's costume department.

--Anonymous
replies 94Dec 10, 2017 12:23 AM +00:00

The Hollywood studios employed many brilliant designers over the years in the golden age but only Adrian at MGM and Banton at Paramount were true couturiers who could have been equally successful in Paris if they had so chosen. Banton was indeed a true mentor to Head, who repaid him by spreading awful rumors and lies about him that lead to his forced resignation from Paramount and her succeeding him as head of the costume department.

--Anonymous
replies 95Dec 10, 2017 12:59 AM +00:00

More dish about Edith Head, please. I had no idea she was such a gigantic cunt.

--Anonymous
replies 96Dec 10, 2017 1:00 AM +00:00

But, sadly, the studio heads loved Edith Head, who loyally stayed on budget and efficiently ran her department, rather than a true artist like Travis Banton. They hated that Banton had so much control over their leading ladies like Dietrich, Colbert, Lombard and Mae West. And Banton's unpredictable drunken binges didn't exactly help his case.

Similarly, after Adrian retired from MGM, LB Mayer never allowed a costume designer or head of wardrobe to gain the kind of power Adrian wielded. He was replaced by the more reliable and mundane Irene and eventually Helen Rose. The other Irene, the fabulously talented Irene Sharaff, was spunkier and not easy to control, but she was never interested in a long term and exclusive contract with any studio.

Was there also some kind of homophobia at play at the studios (never mind that some of those ladies were closeted lesbians)?

--Anonymous
replies 97Dec 10, 2017 4:18 AM +00:00

R97 et al, I'd like to single you out as a great raconteur and contributor to this thread.

Without becoming too invasive, may I ask how it is you've come too know so many details to so many stories of old Hollywood?

I thank you very much.

--OP
replies 98Dec 10, 2017 8:15 AM +00:00

Thanks, OP.

I've always been interested and curious about old Hollywood, ever since I was a little kid watching b&w vintage films on TV. My natural curiosity just led me to reading books and articles and interviews. I'm especially fascinated by all of the behind the scenes areas of the early film industry like costume design.

--r97
replies 99Dec 10, 2017 9:33 AM +00:00

Hugh Jackman, Wolverine

Hugh Jackman's first reading for Bryan Singer 1999
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 100Dec 10, 2017 2:27 PM +00:00

Julia Roberts with Alan Boyce in a test for Blue Heaven

Julia Roberts and Alan Boyce Auditioning 1987!! This was before Pretty Woman with Richard Gere. Check out another scene from her audition: http://www.youtube...
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 101Dec 10, 2017 2:31 PM +00:00

Jennifer Garner, Elektra

Jennifer Garner Elektra Audition
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 102Dec 10, 2017 2:38 PM +00:00

From another dimension, Lindsay Lohan, ten and a half years old, The Parent Trap.

She and Dennis Quaid engage in an unscripted chat at 2:06.

--Anonymous
replies 103Dec 10, 2017 2:46 PM +00:00

Koko, testing for Red Dog.

Koko the dog auditions for the upcoming movie RED DOG.
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 104Dec 10, 2017 2:49 PM +00:00

Tom Selleck, for Indiana Jones.

http://www.videobash.com Mustaches! Wicker chairs! Everything Indiana Jones was missing!
YouTube
--Anonymous
replies 105Dec 10, 2017 2:51 PM +00:00

Wow Sean Young and Tom Selleck? Sean sure missed out on a lot of good parts.

--Anonymous
replies 106Dec 10, 2017 2:57 PM +00:00

Tom Selleck just screams TV star.

--Anonymous
replies 107Dec 10, 2017 5:38 PM +00:00