Join the Bitchfest >>

Study: Canola oil is bad for your brain

Commonly called canola oil because "rapeseed oil" is not a marketable name, it's the go-to cheap cooking oil and it's everywhere. It is different from vegetable oil, but is often incorporated into vegetable oil.

In a separate study, olive oil was shown to be beneficial for brain health.

Canola oil is one of the most widely consumed vegetable oils in the world, yet surprisingly little is known about its effects on health. Now, a new study published online December 7 in the journal Scientific Reports by researchers at the Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University (LKSOM) associates the consumption of canola oil in the diet with worsened memory, worsened learning ability and weight gain in mice which model Alzheimer's disease. The study is the first to suggest that canola oil is more harmful than healthful for the brain.
m.medicalxpress.com
--Anonymous
replies 15Dec 7, 2017 6:28 AM +00:00

Rapeseed oil has been asked to resign.8

--Anonymous
replies 1Dec 7, 2017 6:29 AM +00:00

I bought cold pressed which studies proved to be fine but I’ll just toss out the Canola.

--Anonymous
replies 2Dec 7, 2017 6:30 AM +00:00

Wow - almost every list puts Canola oil at the top for health and cooking (high smoke point). Those Canola oil people must really have good marketing. I don't use a lot of oil, but periodically do need to use it. Is pure vegetable oil the best overall - olive oil has a strong taste that sometimes overpowers whatever you're cooking.

Sunflower is bad and apparently has higher incidence of cancer in tests.

Soy Bean is high in Omega 6 which compete against Omega 3 for heart health benefits (lowering them).

Light olive oil is chemically processed.

--Anonymous
replies 3Dec 7, 2017 6:41 AM +00:00

BUTTER

--Anonymous
replies 4Dec 7, 2017 6:46 AM +00:00

I've been using avocado oil for a few years now; I started back whenever Costco started selling big bottles for $10. I thought you weren't supposed to cook with olive oil (beyond low heat, anyway) because it oxidizes quickly, making excessive free radicals.

--Anonymous
replies 5Dec 7, 2017 6:48 AM +00:00

R4, I love butter, too.

--R5
replies 6Dec 7, 2017 6:49 AM +00:00
For one thing, the canola-fed mice gained weight, while the mice fed olive oil did not. All of the mice were fed the same number of calories. The mice that ate canola performed 40 to 45 percent worse on working memory tests than those that ate the regular diet. Short-term memory, which improved by 40 percent in the EVOO mice, was 50 percent worse in the canola mice than in control-group mice (those that got no additional oils). The connections between brain cells were considerably reduced in the canola mice. While tau was not affected, the mice that had eaten canola had more clumps of amyloid than the control mice.
Pratico said he considers the study a “red flag” for canola oil users, though he would not tell people to stop eating it. However, he said, he doesn’t think there’s adequate evidence to claim it’s a healthy alternative to olive oil.
In both studies, the mice ate the human equivalent of about one tablespoon of oil a day.
Pratico now would like to study corn oil and a diet richer in animal fat. He also wants to alter doses of canola oil to see how much is needed to induce brain changes and whether changes are reversible.
As to why canola might affect the brain differently than olive oil, Pratico said he is not sure. He said olive oil is richer in phenolic compounds, which “are well known to have potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.”
A researcher said the results were a "very big surprise."
Philly.com
--Anonymous
replies 7Dec 7, 2017 6:57 AM +00:00

I had read canola oil wasn't great, then a few days ago I was looking up omega-3:omega-6 fatty acid ratios in oils and fats and canola had a good enough profile where I was reconsidering my position. Reading canola oil helps with bone mineraliztion in "Canola oil vs Coconut oil" in SFGate's "Healthy Eating" complicated the matter. Apparently it's not the omega-3:omega-6 ratio that's the culprit but the industrial processing of the rapeseed into canola oil that makes it toxic to the brain. The rapeseed is washed in hexane, which is an air pollutant and neurotoxin.

Neither the solvent-extraction of canola oil nor hexane is mentioned in today's newspaper items about the Temple University study.

www.sciencedirect.com
--Anonymous
replies 8Dec 7, 2017 7:15 AM +00:00

Why didn't they call it Canova oil?

--Diana Canova
replies 9Dec 7, 2017 7:35 AM +00:00

I use Ole oil.

--Anonymous
replies 10Dec 7, 2017 8:19 AM +00:00

The documented benefits of olive oil sure outweigh the extra expense for me. It's too bad so many mass market foods contain canola. Reading the labels in my pantry was a bit shocking today.

--Anonymous
replies 11Dec 7, 2017 9:19 AM +00:00

When I was 3 my mom was worried when she saw me reading labels on boxes of food. She took me to a doctor who got me diagnosed with high-functioning autism. This was in the 1980s when you actually had to get a diagnosis. Over the next decade, things just got worse.

The rise of autism correlates with the rise of obesity. How often do you see people on the autism spectrum who are physically fit?

--Anonymous
replies 12Dec 7, 2017 9:48 AM +00:00

It causes canolingus.

--Anonymous
replies 13Dec 7, 2017 10:16 AM +00:00

If you're determined to never use canola oil in your diet don't ever buy Italian olive oil. The Italian olive oil industry is rife with corruption, and many of the brands that are sold have only 50% real olive with the rest being a mixture of different oils but mostly canola.

--Anonymous
replies 14Dec 7, 2017 10:31 AM +00:00

Have you actually read the ingredients list for "Beyond Meat"? It has canola oil in it. South Park was right; that stuff is crap.

I prefer the paleo version of Beyond Meat: it's called meat.

Cartman introduces Heidi to some "vegan" food options.
southpark.cc.com
--Anonymous
replies 15Dec 11, 2017 5:17 AM +00:00